Generation Of Domination

El Capitano Del Mondo

Game - FM Handheld 2010 (Iphone)

Ok, first time I wanna do a story, so baptism of fire!

Celtic FC, Scottish Premier League

The Celtic Football Club (pronounced /ˈsɛltɪk/) is a Scottish football club based in the Parkhead area of Glasgow, which currently plays in the Scottish Premier League. The club was established in 1887, and played its first game in 1888. Celtic have won the Scottish championship on 42 occasions, most recently in the 2007/08 season, and the Scottish Cup 34 times. Celtic's home stadium is Celtic Park, the biggest football stadium in Scotland, with a capacity of 60,832. Together with their Glasgow rivals, Rangers, they form the Old Firm, one of the most famous and fierce rivalries in sport. The club's traditional playing colours are green and white hooped shirts with white shorts and white socks.

In 1967, Celtic became the first British team, and only Scottish team, to win the European Cup: the players, subsequently known as the Lisbon Lions, were all born within a 30-mile radius of Parkhead. Celtic won every competition they entered that season: the Scottish League Championship, the Scottish Cup, the Scottish League Cup, the European Cup and the Glasgow Cup. Celtic also reached the 1970 European Cup Final, but were beaten by Feyenoord 2–1.

In 2003 Celtic reached the UEFA Cup Final, where they lost 3–2 to FC Porto. Over 80,000 Celtic supporters travelled to Seville, despite many lacking match tickets. Celtic fans received awards from UEFA and FIFA for their behaviour at the match. In April 2008 the club was estimated to have a fan base of nine million people, including one million in North America.

Board Expectations - Strong challenge for the title

Funds - £4.7m (after budget adjustment) + £275,000 per week wages (Currently £225,000)

Opening squad review - including summer transfer window

After reviewing the starting squad I decided that it wasn't strong enough to challenge, especially the defence. I set about making some sales so that I could rebuild the squad. After some wheeling and dealing the following happened:

PLAYERS IN

Loic Nestor (DEF, R/L/C), £4M from Havre AC. Young French defender, with great potential. Tackling a particular strength.

Cesare Natali (DEF, C), £1.4M from Fiorentina. Experienced (30) Italian central defender.

Nelson Rivas (DEF, C), £1.6M from Inter. Strong Colombian Defender.

Federico Fazio (DEF/DEF MID, C), £4.2M from Sevilla. Strong, tough tackling Argentinian. Should prove a great defensive midfielder.

Fernando Cavenaghi (SC), £5M from Girondins Bordeaux. Pacey Argentinian striker with an eye for goal. Potential to be a stalwart of the national side.

Fernando Sanchez (AM/FWD, R/C) Loan from Atletico Madrid. Pacey, skillful attacker. Should provide able backup.

PLAYERS OUT

Diomansy Kamara (AM, R/L/C) Loan terminated)

Edson Braafhied (DEF, L) Loan terminated

Marc Crosas (DEF MID, C) £3.6M Atletico Madrid

Giorgios Samaras (SC) £2.4M Leicester

Pat McCourt (AM, R/L/C) £2.3M Derby County

Mark Brown (GK) £600K Derby County

Marc-Antoine Fortune (SC) £1.6M Derby County

FINAL SQUAD

Goalkeepers - Artur Boruc, Lukas Zaluska.

Defenders - Andreas Hinkel, Lee Naylor, Jos Hooiveld, Glenn Loovens, Cesare Natali, Nelson Rivas, Darren O'Dea, Loic Nestor

Midfielders - Ki Sung-Yong, Paul Slane, Graham Carey, Shaun Maloney, Aiden McGeady, Scott Brown, Ryan Conroy, Federico Fazio

Attackers - Fernando Cavenaghi, Fernando Sanchez, Robbie Keane, Morten Rasmussen

Spend - £12.2M

Sales - £10.5M

2009/2010 Preview

The board's expectations are to challenge for the title. In other words, in a 2 horse race only the win is acceptable. The other horse in the race is our rivals, Rangers FC. They haven't done much in the transfer window (they're skint) but won the league last year so they will be no pushovers. In our favour though is that it is always harder to defend a league than win it for the first time.

I also want one or both of the domestic cups and a good run in Europe. Preferably Champions League.

Formation wise, I want to run a 4-3-3 where possible, switching to 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 when away or facing decent opposition at home. Attacking bias, committed tackling, mixed passing and pressing.

Bookies have made us favourite because of the squad overhaul, but I am concerned about depth. I have just enough players to get by but injuries to key personnel could leave us short.

Summer Friendlies

19 July

Celtic 6-0 Annan Athletic

Goals from Keane (2), Cavenaghi (2), Brown and McGeady seal a comfortable win. Happy to keep the clean sheet too! MOTM - Keane

21 July

Nairn County 1 - 5 Celtic

Travelling team Celtic go 1 down at half time. An inspired 2nd half display saw Keane hit a hat-trick and McGeady at the double. MOTM - Keane

23 July

Celtic 6-2 Alloa

Goals from McGeady (2), Sanchez (2) and Keane (2) spared Celtic's blushes after going 0-1 down within 10 mins. Naylor bundled over their striker in the box to give away a penalty and get sent off. An OG from Natali when Celtic were 3-1 up did little to settle the nerves. MOTM - Sanchez

Happy with the wins, not happy with some of the defending but the real work starts now. The players are just getting settled when its announced that in 6 days time they face the most important game of the season - a Champions League qualifier away to FC Twente, managed by Schteve McLaren, former Engurland manager. Tough match ahead....

Champions League 3rd qualifying round

29 July

FC Twente 1-1 Celtic

Keane ghosts in at far post to connect with a cross from McGeady. We switch to a 4-5-1 to protect the lead and get to the 86th min before Ruiz scores from a free kick. Gutted isn't the word, but we have an away goal. MOTM - Ruiz (Twente)

5 August

Celtic 1-0 FC Twente

Sanchez does the business in 82nd minute. Celtic on course for a fine aggregate win and manage to hold out after switching to a 3-5-2 formation and stifling midfield. MOTM - Sanchez

Great result, but theres a final playoff before qualifying for group stages.

August 2009

Now the season really gets into full swing. Champions League Playoff, Scottish Premier League gets underway too!

8 August

Celtic 2-0 Aberdeen (Scottish Premier League)

Goals from Maloney and Cavenaghi start us off with a win. A few dodgy moments in defence but kept a clean sheet as the league got underway. MOTM - Maloney

Celtic are then drawn in a "glamour" tie against Dinamo Moscow for qualification into the Champions League group stages. Tough trip away to Russia leaves me sweating on the outcome.

12 August

Dinamo Moscow 3-2 Celtic (Champions League Qualifying Play-Off 1st Leg)

We start a goal down within 5 minutes. Shocking defending leaves Boruc cruelly exposed for the opener. We go 2-0 down at the stroke of half time through a free-kick from the edge of the area. Maloney pops up to pull one back for us and the tide appears to turn when Keane slots past the despairing Dinamo 'keeper. Not to be outdone through, Dinamo throw everything but the kitchen sink at us and in the 88th minute we manage to lose concentration allowing Dinamo's newest signing Voronin to ghost past the defence and hit the postage stamp from the 6 yard line. Boruc helpless and blameless. MOTM - Voronin (Dinamo)

16 August

Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Celtic (Scottish Premier League)

All too familiar scenario. We go 1-0 down within the first 10 minutes when Kyle blasts past the helpless Boruc from 12 yards. Keane hits a brace to spare our blushes. These guys must have gone to the Kevin Keegan football schools (We'll score one more than you...). MOTM - Keane

Having seen that 4-3-3 isnt giving our back line enough protection, I opt for a 3-5-2 in the next 2 games with a review of tactics at the end of the month. We have the home tie against Dinamo and a home tie against Dundee United to prepare for. I also instruct our defenders to follow a new defending-based training regime instead of the general regime used previously. Will it work??

19 August

Celtic 1-0 Dinamo Moscow (Champions League Qualifying Play-Off 1st Leg)

Keane with the winner in a scrappy game. against the run of play. MOTM - Keane

22 August

Celtic 3-0 Dundee United (Scottish Premier League)

Cavenaghi hat-trick (all assists from Fazio!) sees us win comfortably. MOTM - Cavenaghi

29 August

Falkirk 0-4 Celtic (Scottish Premier League)

Keane double, Cavenaghi and Maloney settle this match against favourites for relegation. They aren't favourites for nothing!. MOTM - Maloney (3 assists and a goal)

August Review

Top of the league on 12 points from 12 (2nd: Rangers, 11 points)

Qualified for Champions League Group Stages

Poor defending and not convinced by the 3-5-2 tactic. Think I'll switch back to 4-3-3 and make the defenders work better/harder. Maybe even make some changes in starting 11.

Archived