The 2-6-2-Rule. An Approach To Creating Tactics In FM 08.

Originally posted by sitruc03:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sitruc03:

Started using your tactic set in October 2008 with Bradford in League 1, and here are the results so far...

@ Hartlepool, 0-1... played pretty well for new tactic. Their goal came off a corner and mad scramble in the box.

Southend, 3-0... more like what I expect! only 50% possession, but 15 SOG to 1 for them.

Sheff Wed, 1-0... tough match. They controlled most of it but most of their shots were from distance.

Overall, this is a good tactic icon14.gif . It uses the target man well, which is something I had a tough time implementing myself. Hopefully it will be able to keep me at the top of League 1 (currently a 5 point lead), so I'll post a little update at the end of the season.

The good results are continuing, and I am playing some amazing attacking football, thanks to my TM's 16 passing rating. The only thing I noticed is a little inconsistency at the end of the match, when the AI goes to that 4-2-4 formation. I tried both the Away and Counter tactics against this, but still gave up a lot of shots (luckily didn't lose any points). The last few matches I've used the Counter tactic, but set FBs to 'rarely' on forward runs and run with ball, and that has patched it up nicely, allowing good defense at the back but keeping the forward players on an attacking mindset to steal some late goals and add to my goal difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wanted to leave a quick update with confirmation that this tactic definitely works. I knew my side was really good for League 1, but I won the league by 26 points, and that was even with playing a lot of backups toward the end when I got hit with a serious injury bug. Should have beaten Sunderland in the 4th round of the FA Cup too but got really unlucky...

On to Championship. Should be a real challenge with the likes of Portsmouth and West Ham down here now...

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Giantplaything:

psychoward outpatient: whats the DCs status. i.e. his morale, fitness, etc.

I've had it where certain players go "off colour" for a bit and no reason why. just rested them a couple of games and it fixed itself.

Finished the 2nd season now and the DC thing kinda sorted itself out suddenly, just like you experienced, I didn't bench anyone though as they were playing good besides the occasional blunder.

mancity2ndseasonzz7.jpg

Sliced and diced the pic in photoshop so it aint as big as before icon_wink.gif

Arsenal were in a league of their own this season so I'm happy with my 2nd place and a topscorer + assist to boot.

Things aren't going as smoothly as the first season and a half, and I find myself having to tinker with the settings almost every match I play. Have played 5 matches of season 3 and I've lost 3 and only won 2, so aint exactly the perfect start to the season that I had hoped for with my new players and all that.

Anyways, back to the game icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by sitruc03:

Just wanted to leave a quick update with confirmation that this tactic definitely works. I knew my side was really good for League 1, but I won the league by 26 points, and that was even with playing a lot of backups toward the end when I got hit with a serious injury bug. Should have beaten Sunderland in the 4th round of the FA Cup too but got really unlucky...

On to Championship. Should be a real challenge with the likes of Portsmouth and West Ham down here now...

Hi sitruc. Thanks for the update and the confirmation. Good to hear it worked well for you!

Keep me posted how you are doing in the Championship. icon14.gif

I really enjoyed reading the thread and about to imput your theories into my Harrogate side. I'll give feedback. I really think this is a great thread and i do liek it how you looked practically at a situation (when you did the Andy Gray thing) to let people understand clerarly what you are trying ti imply. Quality thread icon_smile.gif

It seems that new patch is available. We shall see how it affects on this approach... I will give some feedback next week if I have time to get into it!

Zagallo: Are you going to download the newest patch and give us thoughts if it has affect on this 262approach?

Hi yugular.

The answer is yes. The download is running at the moment. I'll launch a new game and hope to find the time to play some matches the next days. But I think I also won't have many results until some time next week. If you have the chance to test it, please keep me posted. Thanks a lot!

Actually I was almost done with the flat 4-4-2 test and wanted to write an update on that, which might be quite interesting. As wwfan assumed, it is more difficult to get this framework going strong with a 4-4-2 compared to a multi-strata-system. But with some changes there seems to be a way...

So I guess, if it works with the flat 4-4-2, it should definitely do so with the diamond. That's why I plan to start the new game with a flat 4-4-2 first - and to come up with an update on that for 8.0.2. If possible, with some cross references to the diamond.

I also like to try a different team and playing style with it, in order to see how far we can stretch it and where the tweaks have to be made. The days should have more hours, I guess... icon_wink.gif

Yip. But as I see it, the logic behind this idea asked for a diamond. That was the reason to start this way.

But anyway, let's stay curious and see if it can be adapted - even with the update... icon_wink.gif

I'll repeat what a lot of other people have said and praise you on your ingenuity behind the concept, i have read far too many claims of "super tactics" where the poster in question waxes lyrical about how they won Serie A with AC MIlan or the Premiership with Man U, it just gets boring!

Anyway, i've used your system playing counter with Cardiff City in the Championship, tweaked the CF down to it's lowest and played two pacey strikers with forward runs, came 2nd and got promoted, top scoer in the division, however i leaked goals like crazy and now i'm in the premiership, it gets just worse, i can be 3-0 up but have no confidence in being able to hold on for a win.

It's great going forward and i know i need better players, but the defence...yeesh shipped 40 goals in 19 games, relegation is seriously on the cards, now i find my self tweaking things that don't need to be tweaked.

Thanks again Zagallo, like the way you think.

ps. sorry about the over use of the word "tweak"

Hello, zagallo

Thanks for your tactic

but, I have question

When I used on Middlesbrough FC.

When defense time, FB gone to mark MC's, and

their ML or MR is free.

what's wrong with me?

MU or another Strong team is ok, but some teams

that defense line is slow, it's sometime make

big mistake.

i used away tactic.

MU , Chelsea, Barca.. Strong team's result is really good!! Thanks.

Originally posted by furq:

I'll repeat what a lot of other people have said and praise you on your ingenuity behind the concept, i have read far too many claims of "super tactics" where the poster in question waxes lyrical about how they won Serie A with AC MIlan or the Premiership with Man U, it just gets boring!

Anyway, i've used your system playing counter with Cardiff City in the Championship, tweaked the CF down to it's lowest and played two pacey strikers with forward runs, came 2nd and got promoted, top scoer in the division, however i leaked goals like crazy and now i'm in the premiership, it gets just worse, i can be 3-0 up but have no confidence in being able to hold on for a win.

It's great going forward and i know i need better players, but the defence...yeesh shipped 40 goals in 19 games, relegation is seriously on the cards, now i find my self tweaking things that don't need to be tweaked.

Thanks again Zagallo, like the way you think.

ps. sorry about the over use of the word "tweak"

Thanks a lot, furq. The longer I play FM, the more I am convinced, that there is no "super tactic" at all. Just as in real life, you can't make one tactic work for all teams and leagues. A 3rd league German team might want to play the Arsenal way, but they never will. The approach is different, as well as the qualities of the players of course. So trying to develop frameworks that give some kind of order, a tight set-up and probably a style to the team are much more helpful, I believe.

But before I get a grade in philosophy - it's good to hear it has worked for you. In this thread you will find some tweaks to probably tighten your defense a bit. Might want to try them. And good luck trying to stay off relegation. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Kali21a:

Hello, zagallo

Thanks for your tactic

but, I have question

When I used on Middlesbrough FC.

When defense time, FB gone to mark MC's, and

their ML or MR is free.

what's wrong with me?

MU or another Strong team is ok, but some teams

that defense line is slow, it's sometime make

big mistake.

i used away tactic.

MU , Chelsea, Barca.. Strong team's result is really good!! Thanks.

Hi Kali2la. I don't think there is something wrong with you. icon_smile.gif As the framework is trying to translate findings from real life into the game, it also translates some disadvantages (unfortunately). So if your defense is weak, it might help them to play tighter. But it can't optimize the quality (or pace) of your players.

But anyway, when the FBs don't keep their wide positions, I would suggest some of the following tweaks:

- play a bit wider

- untick tight marking and let them man-mark with hard tackling

- reduce closing-down slightly

- further reduce their creative freedom

- in the oppositions instructions set tight-marking, close-down often and shove on weaker foot for opp. wingers.

Guess you should try those, probably not all at once. But you should see some improvement. Also you could make your DMC close-down earlier and let him man-mark. Then the FBs have no need to shift into the center. Hope that works out for you.

zagallo

i want to find a flat 4-4-2 which works as well as the other 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 in fm08.

i have been using one in serie A with Juve, before 8.0.2, my defence was water tight, barely conceded. i was difficult to beat, and the the strikers scored 23+ goals each. i know it works becuase i won the league once and am always challenging for the title. reached champions league final.

now im dominating, making the other keeper look unbeatable and then conceding goals from 1 shot out of 2/3 on target from the opposition. this never used to happen before.

i have been trying to tweak around but i dont know what im doing anymore, just got hammered 4-0 by milan.

i would be happy to email you my tactics maybe you could suggest improvements or they may help you put together your flat 4-4-2 you are working on.

Ijust wanted to echo previous sentiments on this thread to say what fine work Zagallo had done. I had been struggling tactically and couldnt come up with anything then employed the ideas on here with my own tweaks into a flat 442 with Villa.

Anyway after a season where my only signing was Justin Hoyte at RB i have finished fourth in the league and lost the FA cup Final to Man Utd which is fantastic.

Thank you Zagalo. Now the only problem is that post patch i am leaking a lot of goals. Anyone got any general tips theyve learnt from 8.0.2 to pass on?

Thank you guys. Good to hear that. Just to let you know: I am am currently putting together part 2 of this thread with my findings on the flat 4-4-2. It might take a little while as I cannot work on it fulltime - and there will be plenty of interesting explanations and ideas for you I guess. It also will be 8.0.2 tested and sound!@@

@asim

If you like, send me your tac-file - my email should be in the pub profile.

@beverage 1982

I didn't have the time to check back on the diamond settings with 8.0.2. I'll come up with that. So there might be issues, although I have the feeling that the update compliments the framework pretty well. But anyway, I am glad that it worked in a flat formation for you. I have made several tweaks to make it work and some more after the update. Right now I am quite satisfied with the results. So if I may ask for some more patience on that. icon_smile.gif Thanks. Just real quick: What might help is reducing closing-down for DCs...

Originally posted by zagallo:

Thank you guys. Good to hear that. Just to let you know: I am am currently putting together part 2 of this thread with my findings on the flat 4-4-2. It might take a little while as I cannot work on it fulltime - and there will be plenty of interesting explanations and ideas for you I guess. It also will be 8.0.2 tested and sound!@@

@asim

If you like, send me your tac-file - my email should be in the pub profile.

@beverage 1982

I didn't have the time to check back on the diamond settings with 8.0.2. I'll come up with that. So there might be issues, although I have the feeling that the update compliments the framework pretty well. But anyway, I am glad that it worked in a flat formation for you. I have made several tweaks to make it work and some more after the update. Right now I am quite satisfied with the results. So if I may ask for some more patience on that. icon_smile.gif Thanks. Just real quick: What might help is reducing closing-down for DCs...

Zagaollo - I've been lurking in and out of this thread for a while, your framework seems novel. Glad to hear the 8.02 stuff and especially a flat 442 is going well. KUTGW.

Thanks Law_Man. I'm trying hard... icon_wink.gif

Yeh I'm not suprised - I think it's much easier to get pretty much any other "normal" formation working than it is to get a proper English-style flat 4-4-2. But it will be worth it in the end if you do!

Hi Zagallo. I was tinkering last night and i found that myself. i have also reduced closing down for the full backs as crosses were flying in too often. i'm currently going to try some man marking with the centre backs and see if that helps and will report back.

Still at least i'm still scoring goals. I beat Arsenal 5-1!

Hi guys, been using the theories in this thread with mixed results. I've managed to get my defence sorted, covering, tracking back etc and that works great. Still conceding, not watertight but i have a very young and new team so not too worried about that just yet.

My main concern at the moment are my wingers getting too isolated. I'm playing a 4-4-1-1 and My player in the hole is finding the space and creating a few chances through the middle but I'm not creating enough down the wings so my wingers are constantly getting isolated on the wings and thus i'm not creating enough quality chances. Does anyone have any ideas for getting them more involved in the game. I am playing quite attacking and wide but when I get it wide with my full backs I always find the wings heavily marked....

Popped this on main forum but thought i'd put it in here.

I'm having massive problems defensively post 8.0.2!

I've gone from conceding 0.9 on average to 1.6! and havent kept a clean sheet for 20 games!.

The goals are comming mainly down the midlle and i am finding my MC's are charging all over the place leaving my CBs exposed. Also findiing no matter what i do the CBs won't mark tightly enough and strikers are left in acres of space. more deytail is on main thread but any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Zagallo

i have sent the tactics, sorry for the delay. let me know how you get on.

they used to work well for me before the new patch, maybe just need a little tweak from yourself to get it going again, mainly a leaky defence being the problem, or useless keepers.

Buffon is looking like radek cerny in my game.

@beverage1982

I see what you mean. You should lower the closing down for the DCs and up the closing down for the FBs. 1 to 2 notches each. Use tight marking for the whole def line and DMC/MCd plus man-marking for the FBs. Up the AMC/MCa closing down a little. Reduce creative freedom for the backline. Up time wasting 1-2 notches. Reduce DCs mentality by 1 notch. So far my ideas. Still working on the 4-4-2. Hope that helps.

@Psychoward Outpatient

Thanks for the feedback. That is interesting. I was so busy testing the system with different teams that I didn't reach the 3rd season yet. Will see how it works for me, when I'm done with the 4-4-2.

@Dan13L

How are your wingers setup? Long farrows or short ones? Cross from byline or mixed? High creative freedom or low? Focus passing down flanks or mixed? The latter ones work better. Also, what kind of passing do you use? I would try to lower it a little. - If you have problems with width, simply reduce it. I haven't been very successful using width extensively in FM08. First notch of wide will already make the team spread and the FBs overlap. Do these help? Good luck.

Hi Jazzfusion.

That really is a weird formation... icon_wink.gif I'll have to try this out when I'm done with the 4-4-2. Glad that the 2-6-2 worked in there. KUTGW. icon14.gif

As always Zagallo your input is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately i have had to start a new game as i forogt i was using an unofficial database and after the patch it was having a few erros so i decided a fresh start was required. I am however going to implement your suggestions into the tactic for the new season, i'm also going to create a one up front version based on the BIGd tactic that is on here which i like the look of anfd combine it with both my own and your efforts.

I'll let you know how it all goes btu as i say i appreciate the feedback.

excellent post and presentation by zagolla and no doubt it is a smart tactic. I will make a similar one and add it to my playbook, although despite game hints to stick with same tactic I have reasons to believe; best approach is to have multiple tactical options and pick the best one depending on available players, opposition and home/away situation. I dont think there is any "THE BEST TACTIC" which works optimal in every case.

Originally posted by Yohan_Gourcuff_:

relly nice post zagallo,but in my opinion there is a huge gap between you CB's and the rest of the team icon_smile.gif

Thanks Yohan. If you only look at the instructions, you are perfectly right. If you play it, you will see, that when defending, the FBs and the DMC are close to the DCs. The midfield tracks back whenever the opponent has the ball and runs onto goal. Only when in possession the FBs and the DMC move forward. Take a look at the fifth picture of my initial post - and you will see what I mean. That led to the assumption that not only the mentality setting has an influence on the behaviour of the player, but also his pure positioning on the field.

You can also compare it to the attacking RoO set-up. There you have all parts of the team close together. Except the goalkeeper - because no matter how high you push his mentality, he will stay in his goal (or least at the border of the area). Seeing it logically the distance between the backline and the goal is much longer that way and all defenders are up the field and on attacking mentality.

That doesn't seem to be a problem at all in the game, what shows that the assumption must be right. Because the DCs still take their initial position in front of the GK and defend if they have to. So to give the defensive line more stability, I just keep them back instead of pushing them up (except when using a high def line). icon_smile.gif

Hi, just trying out these tactics you uploaded on page 2.

A few questions.

1) Regardless of which tactic i am playing (home away or counter) when the computer switch to 3-4-3 or 4-2-4 in an attempt to win the game what should i do? Should i switch to the counter formation or stick with what i have got?

If you say change closing down to often etc, do i do that with the whole squad or just single players?

Cheers

Originally posted by Sparky_07:

Hi guys

Are you still using the tactic on page 2 or is there another version of this tactic available for download?

Cheers

That will do! Its just a frame for this approach. You need to tweak it according to your style of play, squad and problems. Also it is possible to build your tactics from the scratch by using the thread discussion notes.

Read the whole thread carefully through and you should be able to do the tweaks.

yugular

Originally posted by yugular:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparky_07:

Hi guys

Are you still using the tactic on page 2 or is there another version of this tactic available for download?

Cheers

That will do! Its just a frame for this approach. You need to tweak it according to your style of play, squad and problems. Also it is possible to build your tactics from the scratch by using the thread discussion notes.

Read the whole thread carefully through and you should be able to do the tweaks.

yugular </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for your help I'll have a play around with this formation and see what I come up with then.

Back to reading this great thread!

Originally posted by mattbuck:

A few questions.

1) Regardless of which tactic i am playing (home away or counter) when the computer switch to 3-4-3 or 4-2-4 in an attempt to win the game what should i do? Should i switch to the counter formation or stick with what i have got?

If you say change closing down to often etc, do i do that with the whole squad or just single players?

Cheers

Hi mattbuck.

Yes, for the last 15 to 10 minutes you can use a shut-down tactic. I use the counter tactic as a base. In team instructions set mentality, creative freedom, tempo and width to low. Closing down and time wasting up. Tight marking for whole team. In player instructions set FwR an RwB to rarely for defensive part of the team, keep the through balls often.

There are some instructions and a link to all details on how not to concede in the "Tactical Theorems and Frameworks 08" thread from wwfan. You can find in the tactical bible. Worth a read!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattbuck:

A few questions.

Cheers

Hi mattbuck.

In team instructions set mentality, creative freedom, tempo and width to low. Closing down and time wasting up. Tight marking for whole team. In player instructions set FwR an RwB to rarely for defensive part of the team, keep the through balls often.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If i remember correctly, i saw lots of individual player instructions on counter though, so adjusting the team mentalities wouldnt change anything would it?

Just started to play with the fixed 8.0.2 update. It seems that the update didn't ruin this approach and I will do more testing next week when we have skiing-holiday in Finland.

Just to mention one detail that has definitely changed with the new patch (noticeable even though I haven't played that many games): Defensive line more actively attempts interceptions and quicktackles (by that I mean that they tackle instantly when attackers receive a pass). I wonder if this turns out to be a positive or negative in the long run and if this requires tweaking.

If anyone is interested about figures here comes Defensive line interceptions per game (first 3 league games):

match1: 56

m2: 47

m3: 55

These figures are HUGE compared to 8.0.1 with same personal instructions. Actually players don't tackle more according to figures but it seems that defenders now tackle earlier.

I'll be back icon_wink.gif

How does your defense work?Are they aggressive enough?I had some problems implementing this kind of tactical approach,because my DC's weren't so effective.We conceded a lot and this is very worrying for me.

I would appreciate if you could tell me and everyone else interested,something more about your back four and your DM. icon_smile.gif

oh yeah,one more thing,do you tend to use opposition instructions?

cheers...

Hi Guys,

Further to Zagallo's feedback on my tactic i implemented it with a new game with Villa. No signings apart from Onohua at RB and still stuck with my 262 formation but with a couplenof tweaks to the mentality and closing down of the team.

Anyway it has worked a charm. In 5 games in the premiership i havent conceded and have only had a total of 10 shots on target against me. i am not scoring as many as before but getting some very realistic games and results.

I also just conceded my first goals in a 4-4 draw away to Chelsea (which happened IRL).

Anyway i'm delighted and sitting at the top of the Premiership with a team that defends together again. Cheers Zagallo. Oh and if anyone needs help Zagallo's instructions to me on page 4 (for a flat 442) are well worth implementing.

regarding the diamond, i notice that sometimes, the DMC and AMC are overlapping each other. like... they are on top of each other, as if they were playing the same position.

I think this happens in a "short" pitch, when the other team is pressuring, such that the players are in a congested area, but i find it wierd that they would be right next to each other.

Revised tactics for 8.0.2 // Revised tactics for 8.0.2 // Revised tactics for 8.0.2

Guys, thanks for the interesting feedback! While testing the 4-4-2 there were some tweaks that proved to be quite sucessful. Especially regarding 8.0.2 patch.

While playing with the patch, I also realized that the defense got stronger and the forwards score a bit easier and more. But the overall performance was not as good as before, at least in my game. Although the style of play seemed to match. Also the problem with the deeper playing AMC was obvious in my game.

Thus I have worked some tweaks into a revised set for the 2-6-2 diamond formation. It consists of 4 tactics now:

attack - with medium tempo, a high defensive line and offside trap ticked. For all games where opposition is not too defensive minded or home games.

control - with wider play, medium def line and almost slow tempo. For more difficult or defensive opponents.

counter with normal to narrow width, deeper def line and upper normal tempo. For the same situations as before.

possession – with lower tempo medium time-wasting and def line and lower medium tempo. For a possession based game with quick attacks against difficult opponents.

Main changes are:

- lowered closing-down for DCs

- higher closing-down for FBs

- more FwR, RwB and creative freedom for DMC (deep lying playmaker)

- different settings for ML (more offensive) and MR (more holding) - can be set to the same!

- GK set as sweeper keeper

- different creative freedom settings in 4 sets

- different FB settings in 4 sets

- change from 3 to 4 team instructions with corresponding tweaks

I find that these tactics work better than the first ones with 8.0.2. The style of play is more fluent, the build-up easier, the defense tighter. If you have already tweaked your tactics for 8.0.2 and they work, just stick to them. In case you have problems, you might want to give them a try. Here they are:

262diamond_2.0 by zagallo via filefront

To make them fit other teams, please look at or tweak the following details:

- FBs to man-marking when weaker side

- further rise closing down for FBs

- lower DCs closing-down further

- lower DCs mentality 1 notch

- DMC on tight marking or(!) man-marking when playing tough opponent

- reduce creative freedom for DMC

- adapt closing-down for midfield

- adapt FwR and RwB in midfield to players attributes

- adapt wingers settings to attributes or player preferres moves

- adapt FCs settings to attributes or player preferres moves

- reduce creative freedom for weaker teams

- put DMC on same mentality as DCs (-> 3-5-2 frame)

- don’t put team mentality too high, it produces lots of shots but less goals!

- maybe put a farrow on AMC if he’s a poacher

- set Target man supply according to your strikers

- use cross from byline for wingers in control tactic (only!)

- try to avoid direct passing

- and surely any others that might suit your team and players...

One last remark: I have the feeling in 8.0.2 the quality of the players is more important than before. Two positions are key to make this frame work:

1. Fullbacks - in case you are not sure in which positions you might invest, buy good FBs. With good attacking skills but also good positioning and marking or tackling.

2. DMC - the less quality you have in your DCs, the better the DMC should be defensively. And vice versa, if the def line is good, the DMC can and should be more playmaker like.

If you try them, feedback is - as always - much appreciated.

That’s it so far. Now back to the 4-4-2...

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Hi saab693,

Sure, here we go:

Attack

Is designed to constantly put pressure on the opposition. The high def line reduces their space and time. The mid tempo build up keeps possession with quick attacking moves. So it’s mainly for home games vs. weaker teams, being clear favorites. It can fall down against very defensively playing oppositions, creating many chances but no goals and sometimes concedes from mean counters. Then a reduction in team mentality or a switch to Control is advised. Attack can also be used for away games against mid-table teams playing normal style or against weaker teams in European cups.

Control

Is a variety of the attack setup. The reduced tempo, wider play and deeper def line is even more possession friendly as it makes the field big and creates depth in the play. It draws the opposition out and offers them less chances for counters. It’s designed for home games vs. stronger teams or home and away games vs. very deep lying opponents. Therefore the wingers mostly try to get behind their def line (cross from byline) and have higher creative freedom. If not creating enough chances, an increase of the team mentality to attacking is helpful.

Counter

Mainly an away tactic when the opposition is stronger and/or using an attacking setup. The team will sit back more, relying on dangerous through balls and try to score from counter attacks. The fullbacks stay deeper and won’t push up often. The width is reduced. It can also be used at home when the opponent is using an attacking setup, i.e. with long farrows. In case the opposition is lying deep, it’s not recommended as there are no attacks to counter. Then a switch to Control or ticking off the counter attack box and rising width could be more helpful.

Possession

This is designed for holding the ball in a more defensive setup, although still trying to score. It uses reduced FwR and RwB and lets the wide players sit deeper. The medium def line rises the chance of the opposition running into offside positions. This is used against strong(er) opponents or very attacking minded fierce rivals, mostly away. At home it can help to slow down play as it uses more time wasting (but is not sufficient against the AI 4-2-4).

When playing a quality team, I rarely use the Possession tactic. In the first season, Attacking and Counter are the most used. In the second season the Control is more often in use. That might come from re-ranking or the fact that the squad gets better after transfer window, as the possession and passing play needs better technique with the players.

If playing away at a top team it depends on your own quality and their playing style. Counter should work well when they are attacking, Control when they sit deeper. I actually haven’t made very good experience with purely defensive tactics. Instead I often had success with tweaking the tactics a little bit to the opponent and playing an normal to low attacking style.

Nevertheless I do use a shut-up tactic for countering the AI’s 4-2-4 in the last 10 minutes (and only then). I give you a link for it:

2-6-2diamond_shutup by zagallo via filefront

In the package you will find another tactic, that shows what I mean with tweaking it to the opposition. I used it when playing away vs. ManU (then in a flat 4-4-2, but it should also work for the diamond). I started this game with the counter tactic - it was solid though ManU had plenty of shots on goal. Then they scored from a corner and after that I had no chance to get out of my own half. So I tweaked to this file here in half time - and won 2:1 at the end! Although (or because of) being on lower attacking mentality. If you want to try it, go ahead... Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Archived