The 2-6-2-Rule. An Approach To Creating Tactics In FM 08.

Originally posted by Riziger:

Alright, I downloaded and am using the tactic set now.

I swapped a few positions to make it easier on the eye when looking at player ratings during the match and lowered CF. I also added HUB on the DM for all the tactics.

What I notice is that I'm being dominated in all the games. The opponent usually have a lot more shots compared to me although possesion and pass % remains close. However I've yet to lose although so far I think it's down to luck and a good keeper.

I see that they get these chances when my CB gets pulled out by their forward and he flicks the ball on for a running mid to dribble into the box. Other times is when he just turns my CB and is 1v1 with the keeper. Also they seem to be able to get alot of shots on target from outside the box.

Lastly, the players seem to dawdle on the ball a bit too much and get tackled in some dagerous positions, mainly the midfield.

Any insight into this? I've used the tactic for 3 matches so far so maybe it needs more time to settle in?

Hi Riziger. What team are you playing? Did you adjust the instructions to your players strengths? You have to work on that to play successfully. There are lots of tweaks and ideas in this thread on how to make it fit. So probably some of them might help you, especially for defenders being drawn out too often.

If you are dominated in every game, you might choose a more attacking setup (higher team mentality or different tactic choice)to put pressure on the opponent. In my games I usually have more shots and more possession than the opponents (with exceptions). Using a little less width and more closing down for the midfielders might also be useful here. Then use the opposition instructions all the time to stop them individually from dangerous passes and long shots from outside.

If you loose the ball in midfield play slightly faster or put passing up a little. If it is the DMC who looses the ball, untick the HUB again. If he is not able to hold it, this instruction can be dangerous in front of the defense... Hope that helps a little.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dirty_ACE:

Thanks zagallo. I should have picked up on this earlier. Not sure why I didn't think about the FBs with those long farrows and forward runs on. I actually ended up playing 10 games using the 2-7-1 but like you said, it made the play look very strange and erratic even though I won most of the matches. I've gone back to my own tweaks after that and the playing style looks good again.

In any case, I really enjoyed reading your ideas and I have feeling I'll be trying them out soon on a different game where I'll have a more regular 4-2-3-1 formation.

Keep up the good work icon_smile.gif

Cheers Dirty_ACE. Good to hear that. To me it seems like the instuctions have to counter the arrows then... icon_wink.gif Anyway, good luck for it.

Originally posted by zagallo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riziger:

Alright, I downloaded and am using the tactic set now.

I swapped a few positions to make it easier on the eye when looking at player ratings during the match and lowered CF. I also added HUB on the DM for all the tactics.

What I notice is that I'm being dominated in all the games. The opponent usually have a lot more shots compared to me although possesion and pass % remains close. However I've yet to lose although so far I think it's down to luck and a good keeper.

I see that they get these chances when my CB gets pulled out by their forward and he flicks the ball on for a running mid to dribble into the box. Other times is when he just turns my CB and is 1v1 with the keeper. Also they seem to be able to get alot of shots on target from outside the box.

Lastly, the players seem to dawdle on the ball a bit too much and get tackled in some dagerous positions, mainly the midfield.

Any insight into this? I've used the tactic for 3 matches so far so maybe it needs more time to settle in?

Hi Riziger. What team are you playing? Did you adjust the instructions to your players strengths? You have to work on that to play successfully. There are lots of tweaks and ideas in this thread on how to make it fit. So probably some of them might help you, especially for defenders being drawn out too often.

If you are dominated in every game, you might choose a more attacking setup (higher team mentality or different tactic choice)to put pressure on the opponent. In my games I usually have more shots and more possession than the opponents (with exceptions). Using a little less width and more closing down for the midfielders might also be useful here. Then use the opposition instructions all the time to stop them individually from dangerous passes and long shots from outside.

If you loose the ball in midfield play slightly faster or put passing up a little. If it is the DMC who looses the ball, untick the HUB again. If he is not able to hold it, this instruction can be dangerous in front of the defense... Hope that helps a little. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright, I'll see how it goes with a few tweaks here and there.

I'm just afraid I tweak it so much that it goes out of shape and becomes a rubbish tactic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update of the game i talked about in the previous page.

in the third season i won the league with lazio +11 on inter and the coppa italia again.

then i went to newcastle who had 3 successive 13th places.

managed to finish 4th just 4 points off champions man utd but won the carling cup beating arsenal, man utd and chelsea on the way to the final against aston villa.

now on course to start my 5th season in the game...second with newcastle.

great theories and it's giving me great results! well done once again.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Glover_Joe:

Sorry Im a noob

When i download the tactics, do i save them or open them icon_rolleyes.gif

No problem, Glover_Joe. Open the zip-file and extract the .tac-files. Then put them into the "tactics" folder in the game's documents folder. After that you can load them over the tactics screen in the game ("Edit tactics..."). Have fun.

Nothing is as frustrating as when no formation works for more than a couple of matches. I thought I had it going, but f' no.

First I created a 4411 formation by your advices, it worked good enough deffansively. But i created nothing in attack. Often just a couple of shots to half time. Then I choosed your formation instead, as I went agaisnt Roma away. And lost 3-2 with something like 18-3 in shots.

Not a rage against you, you wrote a good post. Am just frustrated that I never seem to be able to play well for a longer time.

• 4 months later...

Superkris, I suppose you tried it in FM09? The tactic files for download here are for FM08.

The is no version for FM09 yet. And as far as I have realized, the files wont work in FM09 (on Mac at least).

So if you use them in FM08 everything should be fine. Otherwise sorry...

Superkris, I suppose you tried it in FM09? The tactic files for download here are for FM08.

The is no version for FM09 yet. And as far as I have realized, the files wont work in FM09 (on Mac at least).

So if you use them in FM08 everything should be fine. Otherwise sorry...

Many, belated, thanks for your work. I've used your tactics very successfully with FM08 and they work brilliantly on FM09 pc. I have Ricardo Moniz as my Ass Man in my current 09 Leeds game, there's not a better Assistant in my opinion, his feedback on the tactics is minor. Which says it all really. In the 3d format the passing of the ball is an absolute joy to behold.

Read through most of this thread, after becoming near dissolutioned with FM09, due to none of my tactics working (with Spurs, and I'm simply not scoring, and losing to mostly single wonder-strikes from the opposition).

Sounds like a superb tactic, and am just wondering if there was a 09 version? If not, is there a link to the FM08 version, as the ones poster recently on here aren't working for me. Cheers people

i sure would love a FM09 version of this aswell...

specially for my Milan team =)

bytheway...zagallo... you said you tried something like this when playing with milan, my question is, did you make the MCs more central, the way milan are playing IRL, or did you keep them out wide?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - sorry for not being here a while. Much work to do and my GW in FML starting... ;)

So really quick to your questions:

@ bobani17

When playing with Milan, I used the wide diamond. I've actually never been that successful setting up the narrow one. But the wide worked a treat with this team.

@ tob

No, there is no 09 version. Yet. I'm planning on checking the framework as soon as I get the game. And it's ordered now. But I have tried it in the demo version. With good teams, it works very well as is. For weaker teams I feel like some changes have to be made. Especially in closing down- but that may also relate to what I think is kind of a weakness in the whole demo... So give me some time, guys, please. And pretty soon there will be an update for 09.

So keep it up , guys. (thup)

Hi Guys

havin real trouble loading this tactic, i have saved to desktop and unzipped to the correct folder but when i open up game and go to edit tactics its not in the folder??

i dont go in via staem... could this be the problem?

i have used bit torrent ... should i use winzip?

im very frustrated as ive spent ages reading all about it.

probably me being dumb any help accepted!!

Hi Guys

havin real trouble loading this tactic, i have saved to desktop and unzipped to the correct folder but when i open up game and go to edit tactics its not in the folder??

i dont go in via staem... could this be the problem?

i have used bit torrent ... should i use winzip?

im very frustrated as ive spent ages reading all about it.

probably me being dumb any help accepted!!

In Vista, the folder should be Hard Disk\Users\Username\Documents\Football Manager 2009\tactics

E.g. C:\Users\Niz\Documents\Football Manager 2009\tactics

Archived