Tactical Challenge

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha hey it could have been worse- at least you didn't get relegated or sacked! Well done for sticking with it, you had a nasty one to work with. If you can be bothered I'd like to hear where it fell flat or if there were any positives from it.

yea thats true lol felt like many times but stuck the season out.

NEGATIVES

Hamsik is definitely a box to box CM as i played him at AM for the first half of the season and DM the second half and he was poor all season.

The tacic is just generally hard to score goals and we never scored more than 2 goals in any one game.

POSITIVES

Doesnt concede too many, had the 3rd best defensive record in the league.

thats it really, any future plans for another challenge?

Bloody hell mate better than I could do even with you finishing 11th, That is very good considering there is little potency in the attack

thanks mate, so hard to score goals without an out and out striker in the team

Absolutely. I'd like some input into what team we use next.

would you want a similar challenge with a similar transfer budget or would you change the transfer rules to allow us to be able to buy more than one player?

would you want a similar challenge with a similar transfer budget or would you change the transfer rules to allow us to be able to buy more than one player?

I'm open to suggestion really. The reason I wanted restrictions on player purchases was to put emphasis on the tactic itself as oppose to the players. However some formations, such as your one, seem almost unplayable without reinforcements.

What kind of team would you like to take?

I'd like to give this a go if there's still room.

Dave11

4-2-3-1 Deep. An interesting one. Priorities would be to retrain Lavezzi or Quagliarella in a wide position and perhaps bring in a new defensive midfielder. I think this could be an effective shape as long as you get those dm's functioning.

I'm open to suggestion really. The reason I wanted restrictions on player purchases was to put emphasis on the tactic itself as oppose to the players. However some formations, such as your one, seem almost unplayable without reinforcements.

What kind of team would you like to take?

yea thats true, would be alot easier if you go out and buy 4 or 5 players but then again for some tactics you may need more than one new player.

well i usually manage in the top division mainly with Liverpool unless im doing a journeyman career. would you prefer a lower league team or a top team to try next?

Is it room for one more on this challenge?

Sure there is room!

Fredrikm

4-2-3-1. Haven't used this shape before but I know that people have got it functioning well. Napoli don't have the greatest wingers so it's probably advised to retrain Lavezzi or Quagliarella.

Yeah there is no real timing on this, many I'm sure have yet to start the challange themselves. Like I mentioned above I'd definitely like to try this in a new league so I'll be writing up a new one at some point.

Anyway here is a tactic for you if you want to join in

Klajwert

4-1-4-1. A very defensive looking tactic but one that should be at home in the serie A. A tough choice on who gets that striker slot for sure.

sure, why not :)

that will be good challenge.

starting to struggle now, have lost 3 games in a row and have slipped to 12 after 17 games. I need to start keeping more off the ball, the opposition is having way to much off the ball and creating way too many chances against me. Im thinking a need to change a few settings for the second half of the season.

Causeforconcern, please give someone else the tactic I was given. Was just over half way through my season only for it to corrupt on me. Then I realised I had no back ups either :(

And can't be bothered too re-do it tbh. Apologies.

I will write something more after few league games but I've just reached my greatest ever possesion against 11 players (without any red cards for opponent) - 82%.

I've never seen something like this

I will write something more after few league games but I've just reached my greatest ever possesion against 11 players (without any red cards for opponent) - 82%.

I've never seen something like this

Who's playing as your lone front man Klajwert? Or are you rotating?

Causeforconcern, please give someone else the tactic I was given. Was just over half way through my season only for it to corrupt on me. Then I realised I had no back ups either :(

And can't be bothered too re-do it tbh. Apologies.

How was the tactic working for you up to that point?

Who's playing as your lone front man Klajwert? Or are you rotating?

as I promise, I am now after 3 league games so I can write something more:

Transfer

I choose Salihovic from Hoffenheim because I needed CM with very good finishing, long shots and technique. 7,5m € for this player seems like a bargain for me. My loan-pick was Gago from R. Madrid - i love to play with deep-lying playmaker and Cigarini can't play in every match :)

Lineup

GK De Sanctis - goalkeeper/defend

RB Maggio - full back/automatic

LB Aronica - full back/automatic

CBr Santacroce - central defender/defend

CBl Cannavaro - central defender/defend

DM Gago/Cigarini - deep-lying playmaker/support

RM Lavezzi - winger/attack

LM Rullo/Dossena - winger/attack

CMr Salihovic - central midfielder/attack

CMl Hamsik - box-2-Box midfielder/support

ST Quagliarella

almost everyone play as I wished but about that later

Results

http://i46.tinypic.com/1z70ao4.jpg

under red line playing with tac full of changes comparing to the idea I've had on the very start of game. surprising for me :) btw. match against Guimaraes really ****ed me off, deleted everyting I've made and starting from beginning.

+ and -

+ Hamsik. seems that he suit this role very well, making a lot of confusion in every game.

+ defence. it was obvious that such defensive tactic should work but theory and practice aren't the same

+ Cannavaro. awesome, awesome, awesome. cleans everything and scored 2 game-winners. true leader and captain

+ results, great so far

- Lone striker. 3 roles already tried, it seems that advanced foward is the best for him but will search further. so far 0 goals, 1 assist

- very few chances in every match, for my luck players are very effective but it's hard to make 3 or 4 CCC's in match

I'm having fun with this save, it was my first objective :)

just thrashed Atalanta 5:1. Salihovic made his first hat-trick with some great goals, hope it's just the beggining for him :)

another bad perform from Quagliarella. against Chievo Lavezzi will start on the front. 10 goals in this season and still without even one from striker.

lonely leadership already, 2 points ahead Inter and Genoa. I'm very surprised with this start.

edit, i forgot ^^. Cannavaro scored his 3 goal in 4 match

half season completed :)

with this formation is very hard to achieve good possesion and passes completed percentage. it's hard for me, maybe someone else will do it, I really can't. anyway, some pictures for you:

http://i46.tinypic.com/nl3frd.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/fwuc20.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/104olt0.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cx6i3r.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/azc6si.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wm1et4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/f265pt.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2drsa4x.jpg

TBH, it's fuc*in crazy :D

there are some games that ****ed me off, for example Udinese & Lazio where I was playing in 10, leading 1:0 and conceding in last minutes from set piece. also Genoa when I was playing in 10 for 70 minutes. My players get too much yellow and red cards but it's worth.

Are there any spots left now?

Always fancied a spell at Napoli... would Mesi count as the new Maradona? :p Not that we can aford him like :(

There are still four left. Although of those are the 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 which I don't think makes for a very interesting game. I'm pretty happy they haven't come out to be honest.

SirCliveWolfe

4-1-3-2. A defensive looking tactic but one I think can be very effective as long as you get your fullback settings right. Your one transfer will most likely be a DM or CM. Look at Diarra and Gago

Napoli - 4132

...or how SCW went back to his CM0 1/02 days...

Bio

Well I think I should tell you guys a bit about myself so you can see where my tactical approach comes from. I started playing FM/CM back in the early days with SI's first ever game. I have always been of an attacking mentality and always (until very recentley) my favorite tactic was the 4132, with attacking fullbacks, three creative midfielders and two powerful forwards. More recentley (FM onwards really) I have become really interested in tactical theroms and ideas and have read widley, especially about the Dutch and thier 'architectural' basis for their tactics... this has also lead me to try and re-invent tactics such as Chapman's WM and the Swis bolt etc...

But now I have decided to throw that all away and play the way the Italians do, so I am going to try and create a Catenaccio 4132. This will either be a stroke of tactical genius or (very much more likley) crah and burn, but ah well.

Formation

So here it is;

napolitactic.png

Yes it is very defensive;

GK - GK Defend

DR/DL - Fullback

DC's - Centeral Defender

DMC - Anchorman

CMR - Deep lying Playmaker

CMC - Advanced Playmaker

CML - Ball Winning Midfieder

ST's - Poacher

This is coupled with being verry narrow, rigid, defensive, with a slow tempo and playing thorugh the middle.

The idea is that the defence (FB's, CB's & DM) will sit back while CMR/L harras the opposition wingers and CMC & ST's close down the ball. I hope that this will keep even the best teams to only long shots (probably not :rolleyes: ) and be able to dominate posestion scoring every now and again.

Transfers

I got very lucky being able to bag Huddlestone for only £8m and so could bring Diarra in on-loan. I think this is on the verge of 'cheating' but we'll see.

Conclusion

So this is an accident waiting to happen, I can see myself getting boring 0-0 draws against teams I should beat easily and being torn apart by the 'big boys'. But this is why it is an experiment. Odds on me winning the title (1000 - 1) odds om me not scoring in my first 5 games (Evens) and changing my tactical approach back to attacking before the half-way point in the season (1-2 on) :eek:

Napoli - 4132

...or how SCW went back to his CM0 1/02 days...

Bio

Well I think I should tell you guys a bit about myself so you can see where my tactical approach comes from. I started playing FM/CM back in the early days with SI's first ever game. I have always been of an attacking mentality and always (until very recentley) my favorite tactic was the 4132, with attacking fullbacks, three creative midfielders and two powerful forwards. More recentley (FM onwards really) I have become really interested in tactical theroms and ideas and have read widley, especially about the Dutch and thier 'architectural' basis for their tactics... this has also lead me to try and re-invent tactics such as Chapman's WM and the Swis bolt etc...

But now I have decided to throw that all away and play the way the Italians do, so I am going to try and create a Catenaccio 4132. This will either be a stroke of tactical genius or (very much more likley) crah and burn, but ah well.

Formation

So here it is;

napolitactic.png

Yes it is very defensive;

GK - GK Defend

DR/DL - Fullback

DC's - Centeral Defender

DMC - Anchorman

CMR - Deep lying Playmaker

CMC - Advanced Playmaker

CML - Ball Winning Midfieder

ST's - Poacher

This is coupled with being verry narrow, rigid, defensive, with a slow tempo and playing thorugh the middle.

The idea is that the defence (FB's, CB's & DM) will sit back while CMR/L harras the opposition wingers and CMC & ST's close down the ball. I hope that this will keep even the best teams to only long shots (probably not :rolleyes: ) and be able to dominate posestion scoring every now and again.

Transfers

I got very lucky being able to bag Huddlestone for only £8m and so could bring Diarra in on-loan. I think this is on the verge of 'cheating' but we'll see.

Conclusion

So this is an accident waiting to happen, I can see myself getting boring 0-0 draws against teams I should beat easily and being torn apart by the 'big boys'. But this is why it is an experiment. Odds on me winning the title (1000 - 1) odds om me not scoring in my first 5 games (Evens) and changing my tactical approach back to attacking before the half-way point in the season (1-2 on) :eek:

Excellent write up.

Impressive signings, Huddlestone and Diarra should do very nicely for you. Will you keep Campagnaro at right back? I think he's a fantastic ball playing centre back but with your lack of width you might need a more attack minded (and quick) fullback. Maggio was awesome for me here- averaged well over seven. Perhaps switching them around depending on opposition would be the way to do it.

Looking forward to hearing how you go, good luck!

Wow... awesome idea! Congratulations!

I can see that many have already finished their seasons, but... I would love to participate if it's still on.

Hi Jarko, glad you liked the idea.

Jarko

4-5-1. Pretty common tactic in real life and on FM. The only thing getting in your way in my opinion is Napoil's lack of decent wingers. Like others you'll have to retrain one of your forwards and hope to bring in a quality wide man via a transfer or loan.

The whole point of this exercise was to use tactical shapes we wouldn't normally use and work hard to get them functioning well. Because you've drawn such a common formation I'll give you the opportunity to use one that has been drawn already but hasn't been used (no feedback form them). So if you've used a 4-5-1 before and would like a different tactic you may use the 4-2-2-2 instead.

Good luck!

Meh, I missed this thread. Would like to have a go if anybody's still doing this.

Well there is only one tactic left and that is the 4-4-2. At this stage I'd rather put all the tactics back in the hat (so to speak, I'm actually using a random number generator) and draw new tactics out.

Let me know if you want to use the 4-4-2 or draw you a new one. Unless you have never used a 4-4-2 I'd recommend the latter option

Well, playing in lower irish/british leagues with teams that only ever seem to be equipped to play 4-4-2, that's what I end up using most of the time.

So yeah, I'd kinda like a new random one. :)

ALL THE TACTICS ARE NOW BACK IN THE HAT

ldktalin

3-4-3. Interesting tactic, you have great strikers all offering a different skillset so you should be okay up front. I've never played with only three at the back so I'm not sure how that would play out. Perhaps defensive wingers would work well? I'd imagine you'll want to use your transfer/loan to strengthen out wide

The whole point of this exercise was to use tactical shapes we wouldn't normally use and work hard to get them functioning well. Because you've drawn such a common formation I'll give you the opportunity to use one that has been drawn already but hasn't been used (no feedback form them). So if you've used a 4-5-1 before and would like a different tactic you may use the 4-2-2-2 instead.

Good luck!

I'll give the 4-2-2-2 a go, then!

Thank you. Will try to give half-season feedback today.

little update, still sitting on the top after 24 games. 8 points ahead Inter and 7 points ahead Roma.

Lavezzi out for 2 months and Hamsik for 1 month, that makes my save really harder. for my luck Roma and Inter are having bad season, (Roma 13-6-5, Inter 12-8-4).

Finally worked out problem with pass accuracy. How? Stop playing with playmakers. Why? Too weak players for this role, even Cigarini isn't doing as good as when he play normal DMC.

Still can't get the best out of Salihovic but after all problems I've already deal with, it is matter of time.

Also I'm pretty sure that I will stay with Napoli after this one season, already sign contract with Riquelme, lovely.

edit, oh I forgot, Cannavaro is my best scorer with 10 goals :D He's playing his best season ever, I'm starting to think that he have the best performances from all players I have in my whole 'FM carrer'

CauseFC, this website looks awesome for the draw type thing that you wanted to do: http://www.easysweepstake.com/how_it_works.html

I'll be interested if you ever do something like this again, but it's a bit dead now with all the tactics being taken...

That website is great, definitely look to use that for the next challange.

Also all the tactics are back in the hat so I'll draw you a new one

joe_the_man

5-3-2. This is the formation I drew. At first I was disappointed but once the season began I realised how impressive it could be. Napoli have the perfect set of players for this formation so the potential to do well is definitely there. I'd recommend bringing in a physical defensive-minded midfielder to complement Hamsik's attacking threat and Cigarini's playmaker skillset.

Can I throw my name into the ring please? My current Exeter save is becoming a bit stale.

Glad to have you!

Horst Nordfink

3-2-3-2. I think trying in implement a sweeper/libero system is one of the most entertaining things to do tactically on FM. Again, Napoli are perfectly suited player-wise for this tactic with Cannavaro the obvious choice as sweeper.

Glad to have you!

Horst Nordfink

3-2-3-2. I think trying in implement a sweeper/libero system is one of the most entertaining things to do tactically on FM. Again, Napoli are perfectly suited player-wise for this tactic with Cannavaro the obvious choice as sweeper.

Well, that should be ... interesting.

A great idea and a very interesting thread causeforconcern. :thup:

I'm too busy with my various saves to participate and, to be honest, I've experimented with pretty much every formation in the game apart from the sweeper ones and one or two others that I just simply don't like! But I'll be reading because I'm fascinated by how different formations/shapes/systems can be set-up and how they work both on FM and in real life. So good luck with this everyone! :thup:

I also like the idea of tactical challenges. Maybe this should become a regular feature on the forum? :)

http://i50.tinypic.com/919n68.jpg

I'm so ****ed off, ****ed up the championship at the end of season. from last 5 matches I must win 2 and... 1 win + 4 losses. (Juventus 2-0(A); Cagliari 1-0(H); Genoa 2-1(A); Roma 0-2(H) and Milan 2-1(A)

This challenge was a great idea, I was having fun while playing it

waiting for the next challenge. ;)

=============

few days after season ending against Milan three clubs offered me a job. This clubs are Liverpool, Manchester City and Bayern Munchen. It was definitely a good season :)

Archived