Sweeper keeper

jeff24

Just did a little player search of what I consider to be the most important attributes. I did:

Rushing out - 17

Pace & acceleration - 15

Decisions & anticipation - 12

Pepe Reina was the only player to come up, so I adjusted all attributes down by one and he was still the only one there.

I then adjusted attributes to what they were, but changed it so they only had to match 4/5 attributes. 4 matches:

Reina (obviously).

Quim from Benfica - only 11 in rushing out.

Stijn Stijnen from Club Brugge - only 13 in accleration.

Ruben from Badlona (who?) - only 8 in rushing out.

does the rushing out attribute depict how capable the keeper is at rushing out, or their tendency to do it?
rushing out: how good the goalkeeper is at coming off his line to react to through balls and similar situations. A goalkeeper will benefit from pace and acceleration here as well.

Ahh, it's just that somebody had me convinced that on FM09, the attribute reflected their tendency to do so, and could therefore be considered a negative if you wanted to play your GK a certain way. I jus thought the same may have applied here. Tbh, I think I may have been a fool to listen in the first place...

Goalkeepers: The first thing we're looking for is Agility. The last thing you want in a GK is some fat, burger-eating whale in goal. A lot of people are drawn to looking at the same stats as they do when they look at outfield players but things like speed aren't massively important – look at them as a bonus. Rushing Out is a key statistic to look for. A GK who is quick off his line can cut down one-on-one opportunities extremely well and prevent a lot of goals if your defenders are a bit slow or just plain crap. A GK who is going to keep a clean sheet is going to need to be aware of his surroundings. For this reason you need to start looking at players who are high in Concentration and Decision Making. A goalkeeper who is aware of any potential danger is going to be better prepared when it inevitably comes around and obviously good decisions are vital for managers and GKs alike.

I've highlighted the less obvious statistics here but you should be aware of the more obvious stats too. One-On-Ones, Arial Ability and Reflexes are clearly important stats but as before be content to settle for slightly less impressive technical stats and get a player who is mentally sharp.

If you're the kind of manager who likes to keep possession and dominate the game then you're going to want to start at the back with the GK. Distribution, Kicking and Throwing are very important for those situations where you want the GK to get the ball to your man and not the opponent. After all, it's pointless winning the ball back and then gifting it back to the opposition.

If you want a boss in goal you're going to want a GK who excels in Communication. He will be shouting and screaming your defenders into position and making sure they get out of his way when he needs them to. Command of Area and strong mental statistics will define this man as the leader at the back – think of Gianluigi Buffon.

A good guide there for keepers attributes.

Ahh, it's just that somebody had me convinced that on FM09, the attribute reflected their tendency to do so, and could therefore be considered a negative if you wanted to play your GK a certain way. I jus thought the same may have applied here. Tbh, I think I may have been a fool to listen in the first place...

Don't worry a lot of people thought that for awhile. It would be kind of annoying if it were like that, since it's an easily trainable skill. Anyway, one not mentioned is Oscar Ustari, a bit like Neuer, but a little faster.

I'd definitely vouch for Ustari, too. I don't play him as a sweeper, but sometimes he performs like one anyway, and he's never hashed up because of it. Seems very comfortable taking the ball out of the box to get some distance, and has no worries with backpasses.

Archived