Re-training position - and then forgetting again...

In my Barca-save I've been re-training Iniesta to natural striker (because I want him to play him in the left side of attack in Mr. Hough's formation, with David Villa in the middle and Messi on the right. With Xavi and Fabregas as MCs. Which is how I hope they'll line up sometime in the future in real life. Just in case anybody was wondering why I would re-train him).

Then because of various injury problems I had to play him as MC for quite a long time, a season and a half maybe. At this point I had stopped his positional training since he was already natural at the striker position.

Then when I wanted to move him back to striker his he had gone all the way from bright green dot to red dot (I don't know what terms are used in the English version of the game).

Is this intentional from SI or is it a bug? I just find it kind of silly that a player who's been playing striker for two seasons, training to play this position all the while, suddenly COMPLETELY forgets how to. A minor decrease, like bright green to not-so-bright green would be okay but seriously... Does this mean that if you want a player to learn a new position (and not forget) he will have to keep training this position for the rest of his career?

You gotta keep retraining or they'll lose it, it's always been like that in FM....no bug :thup:

That's plain stupid. IRL, no one forgets so quickly, or go from natural to ineffectual in 18 months. Yes, it's not a bug but should be considered one.

That's plain stupid. IRL, no one forgets so quickly, or go from natural to ineffectual in 18 months. Yes, it's not a bug but should be considered one.

It is a bit yeah, but what ya gonna do, play Champ Manager instead? I don't think so....:eek:

Well you managed to train him to be a striker, so why shouldn't he decline to zero in the same period of time?

I agree with this to a certain extent, although I buy and retrain players all the time and it's not a realistic system as it is.

Example: I bought a left-back when he was 16, specifically to retrain him to centre-back, as his attributes fitted playing centrally. Now, 7 seasons later, he's one of the top CB's in the game, has played 200+ games for me AT CENTRE-BACK, and probably 5 games at left-back. You'd think he'd know his position by now, and I'd love to be able to retrain as a DM as well, but I know if I try he'll soon "forget" that he's a CB and magically become a dedicated left-back once more. A bit silly I think.

after a player learns a position, whether is accomplished or natural, he shouldn't forget it so fast. if he keeps playing in that position he souldn't need to keep the specific training, and if he doesn't play he should forget but only after 2 years or so

Well you managed to train him to be a striker, so why shouldn't he decline to zero in the same period of time?

Because a healthy human brain doesn't forget as fast as it learns

If it did, we would have been extinct long ago

But from a "gameplay" view, game experience is supposed to carry more weight than training, right?

So why can't playing a position in games prevent a player from loosing it, and only training can

To me, it's silly, such decline should only occur after a long period of neither training or playing in such a position

I used to train versatile players alot, but due to this, I simply don't bother

Even further made worse by the fact each player starts with a "minimum" value for each position, which the player will never go below

Archived