Keep the ball on the ground?

My team has some of the best passers available. Everyone excluding CB's has 16-19 passing (and one CB has 15 passing). They are creative, their dribbling is incredible and overall they are just a team capable of playing the beautiful game.

However, they will NOT keep the ball on the ground.

I play a variety of styles, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 2-2-2-2-2 (2 each of CB-WB-AM-WF-CF).

No matter what style I play I constantly see the ball in the air and being hoofed into the box.

My two wingers are generally set as Inside Forwards. I use the Touchline Shout "Work the Ball Into the Box".

Nothing seems to work right.

What can I do to make sure that my players keep the ball on the ground and use their speed and passing to the best advantage?

Try a short passing game. I also find that I get more (short) ground passes when I have players "between the lines", for example, a DMC or AMC. Also I get more short ground passes when I play a mix of mentalities - less stretch between defense, midfield, and forwards. A good mix of defensive, support, and attacking roles would help create this connection. More hoofing takes place when there's not a teammate nearby, in my experience.

Archived