Anyone Still Want a Basque League? (with Adv. Panel)

Sead Muratic

As internet connection in my current area is poorer than you can imagine, uploading anything even in a size of a bug takes some ride from home, I only do it when someone need it.

I believe there are also several fantasy Basque leagues before, so I will only upload mine - a five-tier league system, done with advanced panel - when I notice some interest.

Details will follow...

I begin with the downsides:

- Some clubs in the 5th tiers do not have real stadium and play in wrong colors. I didn't do ultra extensive research, my first intention with this was to learn the advanced panel. However, there are only less than 10% of the clubs with stadium/color inaccuracy.

- This was done in 10.2 with no player update. I don't play with 10.3.

- No players were added.

- Some clubs still move to wrong regional leagues after several seasons, but I guess you've already seen it coming.

But I also

- Added 150ish real clubs which originally played in 5th to 7th tier of Spanish and French league system. Real colors and stadiums were added when possible.

- Added about 150 cities to the 5 new local regions in the new country. Long./lat. might not always be accurate, but they were set up in such way so region boundaries would even be more well defined.

- Changed the nationality of about 2500 Basque people in the db from second nationality to first.

- Made the French and Spanish league playable. I even encourage anyone who played this database to also load those leagues, so France and Spain will have enough regens and not quickly snap Basque best youngsters to fill up their U-19 teams.

And I have to tell you that:

- Athletic give up their cantera policy, so now they act like normal club. I think they don't need it anymore when playing in its own league.

- They also let go of their 3rd team, Baskonia. Now it's an independent club playing in 2nd tier.

- I incorporate the whole of Navarre into the country, so it will be called Basque & Navarre.

- Clubs are sorted not only by last position, history & reputation are also in play.

- I stole back Alonso, Martinez, Llorente, and some other capped Spaniards. Uncapped stars like Arteta, Almunia, Herrera, and Muniain are also now out of Spain's reach.

- There are two 'blown up' clubs in the fourth tiers.

- The capital city is Vitoria-Gasteiz, and not Bilbao.

The league & cup system will follow...

The league systems...

I professionalized most of top 52 clubs in the country, and they will be divided into 3 top nationwide league as follow:

1) Premier League, 16 clubs (including three giants that will take some seasons to dethrone), 2 automatic relegation spots.

2) Second League, 18 clubs, 2 automatic promotion spots, 2 automatic relegation spots, and 1 relegation play off spot for team in 16th place (will play one-legged play off away from home against team finished 3rd in lower division, yet it only needs a draw to stay in the Second League).

3) Third League, 18 clubs, 2 automatic promotion spots, 1 promotion play off spots (will play one-legged play off at home against team finished 16th in the Second League and have to win in 90 minutes to gain promotion), 3 relegation spots.

4). Below these three, there are the Intermediate Leagues, consist of 45 non-professional clubs divided in 3 groups, with 15 teams in each. I want this tier to be a bridge between amateur and professional football in this country. So, the line between promotion and relegation is very thin. Unless you finished in the exact 8th position in one of the group - which automatically mean another year on the bridge, you will be involved in promotion/relegation playoff. Team in 1st to 7th place will battle for a single promotion spot, with the group winners have all the advantage (a bye, home matches, a-draw-is-enough result) and team in 7th place has everything against them. In similar fashion, teams finished in 9th to 15th place will try to avoid one of 5 relegation spots in their group.

5) 196 amateur clubs (including 6 "B" clubs of the top clubs in the country) are divided into 14 regional leagues. Top 4 of each league will qualify for the promotion stage, which is divided in four play-off regions (Araba, Gipuzkoa, Bizkaia, Navarra, and French Iparralde sections). No club will get relegated from this tier.

Below this senior divisions I also included 3-tiered youth league with promotion relegation system :

6) Class A, single nationwide group

7) Class B, 3 groups

8) Class C, 9 groups

9) Class D, 18 groups

The Cups...

*) Basque & Navarre Cup, the main domestic cup in the country, 196 club from all senior tiers play in a one-legged tournament. Team in higher divisions get the byes to a later round.

*) League Cup, the cup for 52 clubs in the professional league, played home & away, except for the final.

*) Super Cup, played between the Premier League winner & the main domestic cup winner.

*) Intermediate League Cup, the 45 clubs in Intermediate cup will play a home & away tournament

*) National Championship, open to 196 clubs in the 5th tier, played in double-elimination system after the third round. So, as long as you win the first two round (or get the bye for the first), one defeat will not automatically means out, you'll always have the second chance. This cup is very important to an amateur club as it offers more money than the league itself.

(Massive thanks to everyone whose knowledge has helped me doing this with the advanced panel. Magicmastermind, Veg, O'Leary Trainee and all the frequent posters in the advanced panel thread, Stevenphp who started the interest, SRKI whose Yugoslav league is something for me to look up to, and others)

• 6 months later...

Sorry, everyone, I am not currently as active as I was in 2010, the new job just don't allow me to be so. But I think I still have time for a 2011 version of this database, not really an update, but a thoroughly different league system, a less complicated and with minimum glitch. I hope I can do it in a few days. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, everyone, I am not currently as active as I was in 2010, the new job just don't allow me to be so. But I think I still have time for a 2011 version of this database, not really an update, but a thoroughly different league system, a less complicated and with minimum glitch. I hope I can do it in a few days. Thanks.

If you do it, the name of the country shouldn't be "Basque & Navarre", it should be Euskadi, which makes more sense than the default "Pays Basque" in the game and a lot more than "Basque & Navarre". Historically, Pamplona would be the capitol city, though Bilbao has more ties to modern Basque culture. You could make an argument for Gernika as the capitol city as well. In my custom Basque DBs in the past, I set Pamplona as the capitol but San Mames as the national stadium. Just a few hints- if you need any help research-wise, I would be happy to help, that is, if you decide to make the DB this year. Send me a PM if you're doing it and want some research help ;)

If you do it, the name of the country shouldn't be "Basque & Navarre", it should be Euskadi, which makes more sense than the default "Pays Basque" in the game and a lot more than "Basque & Navarre". Historically, Pamplona would be the capitol city, though Bilbao has more ties to modern Basque culture. You could make an argument for Gernika as the capitol city as well. In my custom Basque DBs in the past, I set Pamplona as the capitol but San Mames as the national stadium. Just a few hints- if you need any help research-wise, I would be happy to help, that is, if you decide to make the DB this year. Send me a PM if you're doing it and want some research help ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, finally someone who's familiar with it interested to help out:) I haven't tinker too much with the data changes, although, incidentally, I've changed the country names exactly to what you suggested, Euskadi. So far I am still struggling with squad registration problem (I describe the detail of the problem in advanced rule forums, post #804). As soon as I solve it, I hope it will be this week, I'll pm you some details and probably send you the working db and let you see exactly what help it needs. Cheers.

Archived