The diamonds are back

patrick

Author’s Note: It has been some time but old habbits never die. So I have gone to the store bought FM2010 and started playing again. There will not be a complete story line behind this but just football based.

Game version: FM2010 (10.3)

Leagues Running:

England (Blue Square North/South)

Germany (Third Division)

Holland (Jupiler League)

Customized Database:

Database Size: Large

Players from top division clubs: Central Europe

Players from top division clubs: South America

Club Overview 2009/2010

Club Info

Stadium: Nene Park - Irthlingborough (6441 : 4641 seated)

Rivals: Kettering Town, Northampton Town, Oxford United, Luton Town, Cambridge United

European Competition: None

Estimated Value: € 700,000

Balance: € 76,474

Transfer Budget: € 0

Wage Budget: € 13,250

Wage Bill: € 11,873

Media Prediction: 9th

Board Expectation: Promotion

Staff

Chairman: Keith Cousins

Managing Director: Helen Thompson

Director: Bill Boorman

Assistant Manager: Michael Stone

Coaches: Steve Rooney; Geoff Wayne (GK); Paul Driver (Youth); Kevin Schoemake (Youth); Mark Starmer (Youth)

Physios: Simon Parsell, Chris Palmer

Scouts: Ernie Tippett

SQUAD

Name [Position, Nationality, Age] – City Season, City Games, City Goals [career season, career games, career goals]

Goalkeeper

Joe Day [GK, ENG, 18] – 3, 0, 0 [3, 2, 0]

Dale Roberts [GK, ENG, 22] – 2, 47, 0 [5, 89, 0]

Defenders

Michael Corcoran [D RC, NIR, 21] – 2, 52, 2 [5, 84, 4]

Simon Downer [D RC, ENG, 27] – 1, 17, 0 [11, 186, 3]

Curtis Osano [D RC/ M R, KEN, 22] – 2, 81, 1 [6, 105, 1]

Kurt Robinson [D L, ENG, 19] – 1, 20, 1 [4, 20, 1]

Jamie Stuart [D C, ENG, 32] – 0, 0, 0 [15, 376, 11]

Midfielders

Jake Beecroft [M C, ENG, 19] – 3, 29, 1 [3, 32, 1]

Mark Byrne [M RC, IRL, 20] – 0, 0, 0 [4, 9, 0] = On loan from Nottingham Forest

Jamie McGuinness [D/M R, ENG, 19] – 1, 5, 0 [3, 5, 0]

Nick McNamara [M C, ENG, 19] – 1, 5, 0 [3, 5, 0]

Aaron O’Connor [AM R / ST, ENG, 25] – 0, 0, 0 [8, 93, 16]

Matt Pattison [M RL, ENG, 25] – 0, 0, 0 [7, 99, 10]

Max Porter [D R / M C, ENG, 21] – 0, 0, 0 [5, 196, 9]

Paul Terry [DM / M C, ENG, 30] – 0, 0, 0 [12, 375, 32]

Lee Tomlin [AM RLC / FC, ENG, 20] – 5, 121, 13 [5, 123, 13]

Rob Wolleaston [M C, ENG, 29] – 1, 41, 8 [13, 187, 18]

Attackers

Cliff Akurang [sT, GHA, 28] – 0, 0, 0 [10, 242, 89] = On loan from Barnet

Neil Cousins [AM R / ST, ENG, 27] – 1, 20, 1 [9, 57, 9]

Craig Farrell [sT, ENG, 26] – 0, 0, 0 [10, 225, 51]

Jefferson Louis [sT, DMA, 30] – 0,0, 0 [8, 241, 66] = On loan from Crawley Town

Sam Smith [sT, ENG, 19] – 2, 42, 9 [3, 42, 9]

Youngsters to keep an eye on

Lewis Hallford [AM R, SCO, 17]

Nabil Sharif [sT, ENG, 17]

George Artime [D C, ENG, 16]

I wanted to make a few chances in my staff. I offered Paul Driver a new contract as a coach. As Ernie Tippett was close to the end of his contract, I offered him a new contract. Also I wanted to add 2 new scouts to the staff. Both Driver and Tippett accepted the contract offer. It also did not take me that long to find 2 scouts that were willing to join the Daimonds. Both Ashley Wannell and Stephen Wennell signed a contract for 3 years.

We have a decent squad with a good mix of young players and experienced players. There were 2 players though that were not good enough to stay at the club and so both Jamie McGuinness and Neil Cousins were put on the transfer list.

I also wanted to strengthen our defense as we at the moment only have 5 defenders, which is to less as we will play with 4 defenders. Also I believed the attack needed 1 or 2 new players as with the current strikers we lacked the quality in front of the goal.

There were 3 players on loan at Rushden & Diamonds. Mark Byrne sure was a player to keep as he will strengthen our midfield. I had some doubt though in Cliff Akurang and Jefferson Lewis. They had to proof themselves during pre season.

I talked with the board about getting linked to a parent club. I told them that it would have some advantages for the club. Rushden would get a annual fee, so some extra cash. And also there is a chance that some players will come and strengthen the team without having to pay wages. With this in mind, they start looking for a parent club. And so it happened that Leicester City and Rushden announced a new link.

The following players joined Rushden to strengthen the team:

Neil Etheridge [GK, PHI, 19] – On a free transfer from Fulham

Martin Hansen [GK, DEN, 19] – On a free transfer from Liverpool

Regillio Nooitmeer [D RC, NED, 25] – On a free transfer

Ardon de Waard [D/M L, NED, 32] – On a free transfer

Michael Nardiello [sT, ENG, 20] – On a free transfer

Ömer Riza [sT, ENG, 29] – On a free transfer

Not only did some new players join Rushden, also did we sell some players. Jamie McGuinness left for Eastbourne Boro for a fee of € 500. Also Neil Cousins was sold to Ebbsfleet United for a fee of € 500.

Part of the deal with Leicester City was the possibility to get players on a loan for free. There were 2 players that joined Rushden & Diamonds as part of this deal:

Luke O’Neill [D RL, ENG, 17]

Levi Porter [AM LC, ENG, 22]

Thank you, Chesterfan.

--------------------------

11-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 134)

Ilkeston Town 0

Rushden & Diamonds 2 (Riza 21; O’Connor 28)

As expected did we dominate the match and pushed Ilkeston back into defense. Our goalkeeper had to make only one save this match. It was Riza to score the first goal with a placed shot. A little later it was O’Connor moving into the area and Wolleaston with pass. With only the goalkeeper in front of him, O’Connor had no problem to score the goal. A solid performance in this match brought us our first victory in preseason. We lost Porter at the end of the match as he sustained a twisted knee. He was out for about 4 weeks and so he was going to miss the rest of the preseason.

13-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 228)

Northwich Victoria 1 (Allen 1)

Rushden & Diamonds 1 (Corcoran pen 29)

It was not a good match and the team still needed to get used to the tactics. Especiallly our midfield was not good today. It was Allen to score in the first minute of the game. The first chance in the game ended in the back of the net. We tried to control the game but Northwich was able to keep the pressure on our defense. When O’Connor was brought down in the area, it was Corcoran scoring from the spot. In the second half we were a little more in the attack but we failed in front of the goal. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.

18-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 3715)

Rushden & Diamonds 0

Bristol City 3 (Maynard 30; Akinde 52,82)

We had big problems with Bristol. They dominated the match and pushed us back into defense. We only were able to create chances on the break but never got close to scoring a goal. Bristol scored 3 goals and deserved their victory. It was Maynard scoring in the first half and Akinde scored twice in the second half.

Thank you Tenthreeleader and Burgess Basso.

Losing against Bristol in a friendly match, I can bear. As soon as it is an official match, I expcect the team to beat them though :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 492)

Rushden & Diamonds 1 (Nardiello 2)

Hartlepool United 5 (Boyd 21,45; Brown 23; McSweeney 49; Tymon 90)

We had a very good start of the game as Nardiello scored within 2 minutes. He caught the defense off guard and was able to beat the goalkeeper. After that goal it was Hartlepool to control the game and they showed how dangerous they were in front of the goal. First it was Boyd to level the score and a few minutes later Brown gave them a lead in the game. Just before half time it was Boyd to score his second goal today. In the second half we tried to get back in the game but Hartlepool stopped us before we became dangerous. Both McSweeney and Tymon both scored once and completed a 5-1 victory for Hartlepool United.

22-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 504)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Louis 31; Tomlin 47; Green OG 74)

Hereford United 1 (Pugh 1)

Before we even had touched the ball, we conceded a goal. Pugh ran into the area without a defender running with him. So when the ball was passed towards him, he only had to beat our goalkeeper. For a moment I was afraid that again this match would end in a heavy defeat. But we were able to take over the match and also to create chances. It was Louis with a run forward to level the score before half time. In the second half it was Tomlin with a run into the area and he fired the ball in the back of the net. We had taken a lead in the game. Now Hereford tried to find the equalizer and hit the bar twice. When Green put the ball behind his own goalkeeper, the match was over. We had won 3-1 against Hereford United.

25-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 687)

Rushden & Diamonds 0

Stockport County 0

It was a difficult match against a strong opponent. Hansen played an excellent game in the goal and made several saves. Stockport must have gotten frustrated as Hansen was unbeatable today. We did have a few chances but most shots were off target. I was pleased with the result and Hansen had shown me that he was a good goalkeeper.

I had given Jefferson Louis the chance to impress me and he failed to do so. Therefor I decided to end his loan period. I found a replacement for this him. It was young striker Sanchez Watts to join Rushden on a loan. Watts is a very talented player from Arsenal.

28-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 485)

Rushden & Diamonds 4 (O’Connor 3; Tomlin 14; Byrne 48; Beecroft 84)

Morecambe 0

The team gave an excellent performance today as they gave Morecambe lessons in football. We were dangerous in front of the goal and also very efficient. It was O’Connor to open the score at the start of the match. Our second goal was scored by Tomlin when he fired home a free kick. In the second half it was Byrne to add a third goal. This really was a shock for Morecambe as they could not believe what happened on the pitch, They were not able to beat Roberts. It was Beecroft to complete our 4-0 victory with a shot from a distance. A great victory and also a deserved one.

31-7-2009: Friendly (Attendance 468)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Riza 31; Downer 70; Smith 90)

Glenn Hoddle Academy 0

We were dominating the entire game and gave GH Academy a hard time. They were able to launch some attacks but not able to beat Roberts. We were dangerous in front of the goal and it was Riza opening the score. In the second half we were able to extend our lead. GH Academy tried to clear the ball but found Downer in the way. The ball cannoned through Downer into the goal. It was Sam to complete a 3-0 score. The last match in preseason ended in a 3-0 victory.

8-8-2009: BSP-match 1 (Attendance 2006)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Tomlin 49; O’Connor 57; Nardiello 89)

Salisbury City 0

Line-up: D. Roberts, C. Osano, M. Corcoran, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, A. O’Connor, R. Wolleaston, L. Porter, L. Tomlin, M. Nardiello, S. Watt

Substitutes: M. Hansen, S. Downer, K. Robinson, M. Pattison (21. L. Porter), Ö Riza (65. S. Watt)

Though we dominated the first half, we had problems to get passed the defense of Salisbury. Half way the first half we lost Porter as he picked up a damaged elbow in a challenge with Graves. As we had a problem to create a chance, it was was Sinclair with the first try on goal but his header was saved by our goalkeeper. We tried some shot from a distance but they all were of target and so the first half ended in a 0-0 score.

In the second half we again pushed Salisbury back into defense. It was a freekick that opened the match. It was Tomlin converting the freekick with a powerful kick and giving us a 1-0 lead. As Salisbury now needed a goal to get a result, we did get more space in our attack. It was O’Connor scoring the goal after a pass from Watt. He gave the goalkeeper no chance to make the save as he netted the ball from close range. We could have scored more goals but found a goalkeeper in the way. He made some excellent saves after headers by Nardiello and Riza. So it looked like the match was going to end in a 2-0 victory. It was Tomlin finding Nardiello in the area and he fired the ball home. Our first match was won with a 3-0 score.

After the match I had a talk with our physio about the injury of Porter. He explained me that Porters sustained a damaged elbow and that he was out of the game for 3 weeks.

I decided to have another look at the squad and especially the players on a loan. I believed it was better to send Cliff Akurang back to Barnet as he was off no use for the team. I had to pay a wage of € 575 for a player that lacked the quality to be a decent striker. And so he left Nene Park without playing an official match. Also I had a talk with Joe Day as there was no future for him at the club. As no other club was interested in this goalkeeper, I decided to give him a free transfer. To end his contract, we had to pay him a fee of € 6,000.

With Cliff Akurang gone, I started to talk with Manchester City about David Ball. I hoped that he was willing to come to Nene Park for a period of 3 months. After this period, I might loan him for the rest of the season. It did not take to long to convince Manchester City to let him play for my team for free. David Ball decided to join us as he was delighted to have the opportunity to gain some first team experience.

11-8-2009: BSP-match 2 (Attendance 2797)

York City 1 (Smith 14)

Rushden & Diamonds 1 (Ball 51)

Line-up: D. Roberts, M. Porter, M. Corcoran, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, A. O’Connor, M. Byrne, R. Wolleaston, L. Tomlin, M. Nardiello, S. Watt

Substitutes: M. Hansen, S. Downer (81. L. Tomlin), K. Robinson, M. Pattison (52. R. wolleaston), D. Ball (45. M. Nardiello)

Yellow card: A. de Waard

It was a difficult match today when we faced York City. In the first half we were pushed back into defense and our attacks were stopped easily. A corner was taken by York and we were able to clear the ball. It was Smith to pick up the lose ball and run towards the area. The he tried a shot from a distance and it went past our goalkeeper. York City had taken a 1-0 lead. Still they kept pushing forwards and created a few chances but Roberts made some excellent saves. So at half time the score was 1-0.

Early in the second half it was Wolleaston with the move forward and passing the ball into the area. It was Ball receiving the ball and he scored with a placed shot. We had leveled the score. We now were able to control the match and kept York further away from our goal. As both teams did not score a second goal, the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Beside Ball, I also tried to get Chad Bond to join Rushden. I offered Swasea City a fee of € 0 and they accepted to let him go on a free transfer. It was not difficult to convince Bond to join Rushden for a periodof 3 years. Chad Bond is dangerous in front of the goal and also has the pace the be used on a break. The 22 year old attacker scored 19 goals in 68 official matches. The fans were excited with the signing of Chad Bond.

15-8-2009: BSP-match 3 (Attendance 1233)

Eastbourne Borough 1 (Enver-Marum 72)

Rushden & Diamonds 4 (Bond 20; Corcoran pen 26; Watt 80; Pattison 85)

Line-up: D. Roberts, C. Osano, M. Corcoran, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, M. Byrne, R. Wolleaston, L. Tomlin, D. Ball, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill, M. Porter (90. R. Wolleaston), S. Watt (57. L. Tomlin), M. Nardiello (45. D. Ball)

Red Card: Ward (25; Eastbourne)

We started the match furious and this resulted in a shot against the bar by Ball. We controlled the match and had several shots towards the goal but they missed the target. It was Wolleaston finding Bond free in the area and he netted the ball. We scored his first goal for Rushden on his first match ever for the club. A few minutes later Bond was brought down in the area. The referee pointed to the spot and Ward received a red card for a professional foul. It was Corcoran to come forward to take the penalty. He did send the goalkeeper in the wrong corner and doubled the score. Corcoran could have scored a second goal and Byrne was very unlucky to hit the bar. We controlled the entire first half and Eastbourne did not have a shot at at goal.

In the second half we gave Eastbourne a little more space but still controlled the match. Were we forgot to add a goal, it was Enver-Marum, who caught us on a break. His shot passed our goalkeeper and Eastbourne was back in the game. We now started to push Eastbourne back into defense. It was Bond hitting the bar and Watt netting the lose ball. We had restored our 2-goal lead over Eastbourne. It was Wolleaston with another good pass into the area and Pattison scored with a placed shot. So the match ended in a 4-1 victory.

After the match Palmer came to me and told me that Wolleaston had suffered a stubbed toe following an accidental collision with an opponent during the match. He needed about 2 weeks to recover from this injury.

I had been talking with Motherwell about Marc Fitzpatrick as I hoped to get him to Rusdhen. I offered them to get him on a free transfer and they accepted it. I offered Fitzpatrick a 3-years contract and he accepted. With the signing of this midfielder I got a player with a total of 113 matches on the highest level in Scotland.

You're doing well. Just one piece of advice -- slow down your posting a bit. Build up a bit of a reserve for those days when you might not feel like doing a writeup. Best wishes to Diamonds and their manager.

Tenthreeleader, thank you for the advice. I have kept some reserves already, about 3 months of matches at the moment. I will not posting to much at the time as it can be hard to keep up reading if postings follow to quick.

-----------------------------------

18-8-2009: BSP-match 4 (Attendance 2020)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Ball 8; Tomlin 12; Corcoran pen 49)

Hayes & Yeading United 0

Line-up: D. Roberts, C. Osano, M. Corcoran, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, P. Terry, M. Byrne, L. Tomlin, D. Ball, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen (80. D. Roberts), L. O’Neill, M. Porter, S. Watt (45. M. Pattison), M. Nardiello (66. D. Ball)

Yellow Cards: Mulley (Hayes); Cochrane (Hayes)

It was Hayes with the first chance of the match but Roberts did not have to make the save. It was Byrne to find Ball free in the area. With no defender close to him, he had all the time to defeat the goalkeeper and score. Before Hayes was able to recover, it was Ball sending Tomlin in the area and double the score. Hayes tried to get back into the game but we were able to keep them far away from our area. So the first half ended in a 2-0 score.

Att the start of the second half, Watt was brought down in the area and the referee gave a penalty. It was Corcoran to score from to spot. As the score now was 3-0 the match was over. Hayes did not have any hope anymore for a decent result and we believed that winning 3-0 was enough. So not much happened anymore and I decided to give Hansen some first team experience. A was pleased with the 3-0 victory and for the first time this season we were found at the top of the table.

22-8-2009: BSP-match 5 (Attendance 2371)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Tomlin 23; Byrne 52; Nooitmeer 61)

Forest Green Rovers 0

Line-up: D. Roberts, C. Osano, M. Corcoran, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, M. Byrne, M. Fitzpatrick, L. Tomlin, D. Ball, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill (75. C. Osano), P. Terry (45. M. Fitzpatrick), S. Watt, M. Nardiello (45. D. Ball)

Yellow Cards: Hodgkiss (Forest Green); Stonehouse (Forest Green); Brown (Forest Green)

In the first half we gave Forest Green a hard time. They managed to take one shot at goal and this was from a distance. We were able to put a lot of pressure on their defense and their goalkeeper had to make several saves. It was Fitzpatrick to find Tomlin in the area and he fired the ball into the net. Though we had some more chances, we did not score another goal.

In the second half we were the stronger team. We had to take several successful corners. First it was Byrne to shoot the ball behind the goalkeeper and a little later it was Nooitmeer to head the ball in the net. Though it was 3-0, we still tried to score another goal. Nardiello came close to score as he hit the woodwork. The match ended in a 3-0 victory.

During one of the training sessions Michael Corcoran suffered a torn hamstring. Chris Palmer told me it was a severe injurie and that Corcoran had to see a specialist. He expected that Corcoran was iour of action for about 4 months for treatment. Till now Corcoran had been playing all matches and was our first penalty taker. So with this injury we lost an important player and I was forced to make some chances.

Thanks Arctic. About Joe Day, I was not really pleased with his skill and as I found 2 goalkeepers that are close to Dale Roberts, I believed it was better to let him go. Tried to sell him but nobody was interested, even not on a free transfer.

--------------------

29-8-2009: BSP-match 6 (Attendance 2418)

Stevenage Borough 1 (Thiaw pen 14)

Rushden & Diamonds 2 (Nooitmeer 5; Tomlin 37)

Line-up: Roberts, S. Downer, C. Osano, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, M. Byrne, M. Fitzpatrick, L. Tomlin, D. Ball, C. Bond

Substitutes: : M. Hansen, L. O’Neill, T. Wolleaston (71. M. Fitzpatrick), S. Watt (71. M. Pattison), M. Nardiello (45. D. Ball)

Yellow Cards: Downer; Osano; Nooitmeer

In the first half it was a close match in which Stevenage created the most chances but we were more efficience in finishing. It was Nooitmeer firing the ball home after we had taken a corner. Stevenage now focused more on the attack and we helped them a little. Downer made a foul in the area and the referee gave Stevenage a penalty kick. It was Thiaw giving Roberts no change to make the safe and the score was level again. Stevenage came a few times one-on-one with our goalkeeper but were not able to beat Roberts. It was Tomlin to score with a stunning strike from 25 yards to give us a 2-1 lead.

In the second half it was Stevenage being the stronger team and putting some pressure on our defense. Though they created some decent chances, they were not able to beat our goalkeeper. We were not able to get close totheir goalkeeper and had to try some shots from a distance. As both teams did not score a goal in the second half the match ended in a 2-1 victory.

31-8-2009: BSP-match 7 (Attendance 2138)

Rushden & Diamonds 2 (Bond 2, 86)

Cambridge United 0

Line-up: D. Roberts, S. Downer, C. Osano, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, S. Watt, M. Byrne, R. Wolleaston, L. Porter, D. Ball, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill (45. S. Downer), M. Fitzpatrick (68. M. Byrne), L. Tomlin (68. L. Porter), M. Nardiello

Yellow Cards: Beesley (Cambridge); Byrne; O’Neill

We had an excellent start of the match as Bond scored an early goal. It was Nooitmeer receiving the ball from a corner and finding Bond free in the area. The goalkeeper could not reach the ball and so it ended in the back of the net. A little later Watt almost scored a goal but his fingertips, the goalkeeper was able to make the save. Cambridge had a few tries on goal but they were all off target. So at half time we had taken a 1-0 lead.

As expected it was Cambridge looking for the equalizer in the second half but they were awful in the attack. They tried a few shots but they were all of target and so our goalkeeper had an easy day in the goal. It was Bond to score on the break and secure our victory over Cambridge. It was Ball with the pass forward and Bond making the run for the goal and leaving all defenders behind him. One-on-one with the goalkeeper, he was very patient and searched for the right moment to net the ball. It was his second goal of the match. We added another 3 points to our total.

After the match Palmer came to me and told me Rob Wolleaston sustained a bruised rib during the match against Cambridge. He expected Wolleaston would be back in about 2 weeks.

August Roundup

Premier Division

At the moment it was the Bolton Wanderers topping the table with 4 matches played and 10 points. So you could say this was a little miracle. There is one team thouch that still have won all games played. As Chelsea only played 3 games they were second placed with the full 9 points. Manchester United were found 3 place with a total of 8 points in 4 matches.

Hull City, Sunderland and Portsmouth were found in the danger zone at the moment. If the were at these places at the end of the season, they would be relegated.

Coca-Cola Championship

In the Championship there were no teams found that did not lose a point. Sheffield United and Reading were both on top of the table with 12 points in 5 matches. The difference between both teams at this moment was 1 goal conceded. Scunthorpe United were found 3rd place with 11 points.

The teams found in the danger zone were Q.P.R, Barnsley and Crystal Palace. They were in need of points to get out of the danger zone. Crystal Palace started the season with minus 10 points. As they already had won 7 points, they probably would leave the danger zone within 1 or 2 months.

Coca-Cola League 1

In this league all teams had last at least 3 points. There were 2 teams with 12 points after 5 matches and also 2 teams with 11 points. Charlton Athletic were on top of the table because the conceded only 5 goals. Huddersfield Town were in second place as they conceded 6 goals. Both Charlton and Huddersfield scored 8 goals.

Teams that were in danger of relegation at the moment were Stockport County, Tranmere Rovers, Wycombe Wanderers and Southampton. In this league there was also 1 team that started in the minus. Southampton started with –10 points but they already won 5 points, so were closing in on the other teams.

Coca-Cola League 2

Both Maclesfield Town and Dagenham & Redbridge were found on top of the table with 13 points. Maclesfield was first place because their goal difference was slightly better. Rotherham United was found 3rd place at the table with 12 points in 5 matches.

Bradford City and Darlington were found in the danger zone. Both managed to win 1 point in 5 matches.

Blue Square Premier

After 7 matches we had won 19 points and were found at the top of the table. At this monent we had gab of 4 points with second placed Gateshead. This could be changed as Crawley Town had played only 6 matches and already won 14 points.

At the end of this season there will be 4 teams that will relegate. The teams found on these spots were Grays Athletic, Forest Green Rovers, Salisbury Town and Chester City. Salisbury started the season with a 10-points deduction and Chester City started with 25 points in the minus. So both teams had to win a lot more points to get out the danger.

1  Rushden        7- 18 (+15)
2  Gateshead      7- 15 (+8)
3  Crawley        6- 14 (+14)
4  Oxford         7- 13 (+5)
5  Wrexham        7- 13 (+4)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
21 Grays          7- 4 (-13)
22 Forest Green   7- 2 (-9)
23 Salisbury      7- -6 (-12)
24 Chester        7- -18 (-2)

Blue Square Premier Player of the Month: Lee Tomlin (Rushden)

Blue Square Premier Young Player of the Month: Charles Ademeno (Crawley)

Blue Square Premier Manager of the Month: Pat van Dijk (Rushden)

Blue Square North

After 7 matches it was AFC Telford United to top the table with a total of 17 points. Fleetwood Town was found om the second spot with 16 points. In these competition there was already a 4-point gab between second and third place.

Redditch United, Cloucester City and Farsley Celtic were found at the bottom of the table and in relegation zone. Both Farsley Celtic and Northwich Victoria started the season with a 10-points deduction. Northwich already won 6 matches and so were out of the danger zone. Farsley won 7 points and soon will be out of the red, still they would need a lot of points to get away from a relegation spot.

Blue Square South

Newport County collected a total of 18 points in 7 matches and already had a gap of 3 points with second placed Thurrock. With 14 points it was Worcester City on the 3rd spot.

The teams on a relegation spot were Bath City, Welling United and Dorchester Town. These teams had to start fighting to get out if this zone.

Thanks Arctic. Lets hope I can win promotion to the Coca-Cola League 2. At that point the real challenge begins. Keeping them there and build a team to run for promotion again.

---------------------

5-9-2009: BSP-match 8 (Attendance 1062)

Barrow 1 (Walker pen 59)

Rushden & Diamonds 2 (Fitzpatrick 62; Nardiello 90)

Line-up: D. Roberts, M. Porter, S. Downer, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, M. Byrne, L. Porter, L. Tomlin, M. Nardiello, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill, A. O’Connor (45. M. Pattison), M. Fitzpatrick (45. L. Porter), D. Ball (73. L. Tomlin)

Yellow cards: Nooitmeer; Pattison; Tomlin

Red Card: A. Bond (Barrow; 2x yellow)

We were the better team on the pitch and should have scored in the first minute. First it was Nardiello with a header that was saved and then it was Bond shooting from close range but the ball ended in the side netting. After these chances Barrow was able to keep us away from the goal. We still controlled the game but could not break through their defense. Barrow never came close to our goal and so at half time the score was 0-0.

In the second half more action was seen in front of the goals. It all started when Bond received his second yellow card and Barrow had to finish the match with 10 players. Still it was Barrow taking a lead in the game. De Waard tripped a player in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Walked converted the penalty and we now had to look for goals to win this match. It was O’Connor with a cross and Fitzpatrick to score with his head. We had leveled the score and still we hoped to win this match. We had a few chances but failed to score. In the last minute of the game, it was Fitzpatrick with a pass towards Nardiello. Nardiello broke the offside trap and was clean through on goal. He gave the goalkeeper no chance to make a save and scored the winning goal. We stole 3 points today.

Chris Palmer had some bad news after the match. Marc Fitzpatrick suffered a pulled hamstring during the match and was out for about 6 weeks.

8-9-2009: BSP-match 9 (Attendance 926)

Ebbsfleet United 0

Rushden & Diamonds 1 (Bond 65)

Line-up: D. Roberts, M. Porter, S. Downer, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, S. Watt, M. Byrne, L. Tomlin, L. Porter, D. Ball, M. Nardiello

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill (45. M. Porter), M. Pattison, P. Terry, C. Bond (45. D. Ball)

We controlled the match in the first half and created several chances but failed to score. As we tried to much shots from outside the area, I told them to try and get the ball in the area. Ebbsfleet had to concentrate in the defense and try to score on the break. They managed to surprise us once but found Roberts in their way. We needed to be more efficient in front of the goal as now it still showed 0-0 on the board.

In the second half we again were the attacking team and pushed Ebbsfleet back into defense. Though we created some chances, we missed the finishing touch. It was Bond free in the area and with a placed shot beating the goalkeeper. We finally had taken the lead in this match. As Ebbsfleet lacked the quality to get close to Roberts, this match ended in a victory. We added 3 points to our total and kept the 6-points gab.

12-9-2009: BSP-match 10 (attendance 1984)

Rushden & Diamonds 3 (Bond 45, 81; Nooitmeer 51)

Grays Athletic 0

Line-up: D. Roberts, S. Downer, C. Osano, R. Nooitmeer, A. de Waard, M. Pattison, M. Porter, M. Byrne, L. Tomlin, M. Nardiello, C. Bond

Substitutes: M. Hansen, L. O’Neill, R. Wolleaston (71. M. Byrne), L. Porter (45. L. Tomlin), Ö. Riza

Yellow Cards: Dean (Grays); Guy (Grays); M.Porter

In the first half we were the team dominating and creating chances. Grays was forced to play a defensive style and hope for a break. They had some tries from a distance but they were all of target. We also had a few chances but failed to score. Also shots from outside the area were dangerous but never beat the goalkeeper. It was Harvey losing the ball close to his own area that gave us to score a goal. As he was the last defender at that point, he gave Bond a free passage to the goal. And that he should not do as Bond made him pay. He gave the goalkeeper no chance to correct that mistake and gave us a lead at half time.

At the start at the second half we were given a corner. Pattison whipped in the corner and it looked like Grays were able to clean the ball. In a scrimmage in front of the goal it was Nooitmeer pulling the trigger and double the score. Grays tried to control the match but they were not able to do so. Then it was Nardiello to try a shot from outside the area but it was to easy for the goalkeeper. But then he dropped the ball and it was Bond to react. He got to the ball and pushed it over the goal line. He scored his second goal of the match. And so the match ended in another victory for Rushden & Diamonds.

Archived