Possession based football in league two - Any tips for implementing it?

As the title suggests i'm looking to play a long term game starting in league two and play possession based football.

Now i'm not bothered about which players, systems, clubs are use but would like to hear peoples thoughts and comments on how best to implement it.

Now i'm aware that i'll need decent technique and decisions for the level i'm playing at along with the necessary skills for the positions in my formation. Also i'm aware this will take time as my rep will be low, squad harmony will be low, and i'll need to get the players trained and bought to play this style.

But what i would like to know is:

What tempo would be good intially for a developing side? slow or medium

How wide would you play intially for a developing side? Narrow or medium

How conservative should I be considering how i want to play? Balanced away rather than defensive for example.

Just some pointers for a mid table team would be nice that i can use as a base until my training, new signings, and the club itslef are established.

Thanks in advance

As the title suggests i'm looking to play a long term game starting in league two and play possession based football.

/...../

But what i would like to know is:

What tempo

How wide

How conservative should I be considering how i want to play? Balanced away rather than defensive for example.

Formation

Basically, I would look to play with a multistrata formation, using at least 3 central midfielders. A narrow Diamond, a 4411 or even a 4141 will do the trick. The reason for it is that the formation it self keeps possession better as their will always be an easy passing option.

Tempo and runs from deep

Slow or slowish and restricted runs from deep. This way, we ensure our selfes that the team play as one unit, moving upfield using nice triangels and keeping possession

Width

Narrow - Normal

Philosophy

Ridig

Strategy

Here I would use Balanced, making ingame tweaks as the game goes on

Overall suggestion

I would start by making a new tactic in the Wizard, using the following settings

Ridig

Balanced

If you wish to attack more, then I would use the follwing shouts

Control or Attack

If wanting to defend a lead, I would use the following shoots

Counter

"Retain possesion"

"Take a breather"

If wanting to lauch quicker counter attacks and hit the AI on the break whilst defending your lead, I would do the following

Counter

"Pass ball into space"

"Exploit the flanks"

Have a look at the seetings provided and play a match in full mode and see what extreme difference between using the "retain shouts and the play into space shouts"

Thanks for the settings there i'll give them a try. Does sound sensible and maybe my team will keep thier fitness better playing at a lower tempo.

Only problem now will be the poor lower league pitches :)

Well, played 3 friendlies and things aren't looking bad (Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 1) against teams that are my level and the league above.

Just some further info about the long term goal i've got.

Look to a younger squad with a sprinkling of experience which is renewed every 3-5 years

I want the team to be tactically and technically as good as they can be for the level they're at. This will be done by trying to recruit the correct players and by focusing training on tactics and ball control.

Also my youth team and reserve team will be set to use the same tactics as the 1st team.

think that covers it

• 4 weeks later...

Just starting November and currently sit 3rd in League Two and in the quarters of the JPT. Based on my aims and feedback from people i've implemented the following:

Tactic - Rule of One (playing FM09)

4-4-1-1 (4 defenders, 4 Midfielders, 1 Attacking Midfielder, 1 Striker)

Team Instructions

Direct passing for players in the 'Defend' role, mixed for players in the 'Support' role, and short for players in the 'Attack' role

Tight zonal marking for defenders and centre midfielders, loose zonal marking for wide midfielders, attacking midfielder and striker

Creative freedom low for most players except wingers, attacking midfielder, and striker who have mid-high normal depending on attributes (flair, decisions, creativity)

Free role for attacking midfielder

Player Instructions

Pos. Men. Role

GK 5 Keeper (Defend)

DL 7 Full back (Support)

DC 6 Centre back (Defend)

DC 6 Centre back (Defend)

DR 7 Full back (Support)

ML 10 Winger (Attack)

MC 8 Defensive midfielder (Defend)

MC 9 Box-to-box midfielder (Support)

MR 10 Winger (Attack)

AM 11 Attacking midfielder (Attack)

ST 13 Target man (Support)

This has been influenced by Germany's performance in the world cup and how the style has changed but obviously with the quality of players there has been some changes needed. Overally though very happy and think once i've got a fully settle team/squad and the right players this could be interesting.

Archived