***OFFICIAL*** FMS Challenge #1 2005 - The Brian Clough Challenge by Bobbev

Peacemaker7

The Brian Clough Challenge - by Bobbev

Brian Clough was undoubtedly one of the best football managers of his generation and it was a sad day for football when he passed away on September 20th 2004 aged 69. His record as a player was extraordinary - before his career was prematurely curtailed by a knee injury he made 274 appearances for Middlesbrough and Sunderland, scoring 251 goals. But it was his managerial achievements that sealed his reputation. After a short stint on the coaching staff at Sunderland he took over as manager of Hartlepool at the age of 30 and gained promotion from the 4th Division. He then moved to Derby County, taking them to the First Division and winning the league title in season 1971-72. The next season he guided Derby to the Semi Finals of the European Cup before falling out with Chairman Sam Longson and resigning. He failed to bring success to either of his next two clubs. A poor season at Brighton was followed by his infamous 44-day reign at Leeds. But after 4 months out of the game he got back on the managerial rollercoaster at Nottingham Forest in January 1975. Forest were promoted to the First Division in the 1976-77 season and then won the title in the season after. This was followed by two consecutive European Cup victories in seasons 1978-79 and 1979-80. Whilst at Forest Clough also enjoyed four League Cup successes in 1977-78, 1978-79, 1988-89 and 1989-90. His only regrets were his failure to lift the FA Cup and the fact that he was never appointed England manager.

So here is your challenge - can you surpass the achievements of the legendary Brian Clough?

Stage 1 - Hartlepool

Take over at Hartlepool and gain them promotion.

Stage 2 - Derby County

As soon as possible after that take over at Derby and win the Premiership title. Go one step better than Brian and get County into a European Final (UEFA Cup or Champions League)

Stage 3 - Brighton or Leeds

Take one of Clough's less successful clubs to FA Cup glory.

Stage 4 - Nottingham Forest

Secure the Forest job, win the Premiership with them and then go on to lift the Champions League twice and the League Cup four times.

Stage 5 - The England Job

Fulfil the great man's final ambition by gaining the England job and taking them to the final stages of a major tournament (World Cup or European Championship).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brian Clough Challenge - by Bobbev

Brian Clough was undoubtedly one of the best football managers of his generation and it was a sad day for football when he passed away on September 20th 2004 aged 69. His record as a player was extraordinary - before his career was prematurely curtailed by a knee injury he made 274 appearances for Middlesbrough and Sunderland, scoring 251 goals. But it was his managerial achievements that sealed his reputation. After a short stint on the coaching staff at Sunderland he took over as manager of Hartlepool at the age of 30 and gained promotion from the 4th Division. He then moved to Derby County, taking them to the First Division and winning the league title in season 1971-72. The next season he guided Derby to the Semi Finals of the European Cup before falling out with Chairman Sam Longson and resigning. He failed to bring success to either of his next two clubs. A poor season at Brighton was followed by his infamous 44-day reign at Leeds. But after 4 months out of the game he got back on the managerial rollercoaster at Nottingham Forest in January 1975. Forest were promoted to the First Division in the 1976-77 season and then won the title in the season after. This was followed by two consecutive European Cup victories in seasons 1978-79 and 1979-80. Whilst at Forest Clough also enjoyed four League Cup successes in 1977-78, 1978-79, 1988-89 and 1989-90. His only regrets were his failure to lift the FA Cup and the fact that he was never appointed England manager.

So here is your challenge - can you surpass the achievements of the legendary Brian Clough?

Stage 1 - Hartlepool

Take over at Hartlepool and gain them promotion.

Stage 2 - Derby County

As soon as possible after that take over at Derby and win the Premiership title. Go one step better than Brian and get County into a European Final (UEFA Cup or Champions League)

Stage 3 - Brighton or Leeds

Take one of Clough's less successful clubs to FA Cup glory.

Stage 4 - Nottingham Forest

Secure the Forest job, win the Premiership with them and then go on to lift the Champions League twice and the League Cup four times.

Stage 5 - The England Job

Fulfil the great man's final ambition by gaining the England job and taking them to the final stages of a major tournament (World Cup or European Championship).

Hey Bobbev, congrats on the good challenge. Question though, since I already have a Hartlepool game going here, can I just use that for the challenge?In my game the teams are in the following divisions: Hartlepool (Conference), Derby (1st Division), Brighton (1st Division), Leeds (Premier Division), Nottingham Forest (2nd Division).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan_Chisum:

Hey Bobbev, congrats on the good challenge. Question though, since I already have a Hartlepool game going http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=581204178, can I just use that for the challenge?In my game the teams are in the following divisions: Hartlepool (Conference), Derby (1st Division), Brighton (1st Division), Leeds (Premier Division), Nottingham Forest (2nd Division). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Bobbev, but I'm pretty sure you could do as there seems nothing wrong with that.

Good challenge actually, but could bnever manage it!

Jambo, I'm thinking it will be ok since this are very informal, but just making sure. The way my game is going I don't think I'm going to be there past this season icon_mad.gif

Wow - just got back from my New Year hols to find this unexpected news. Thanks to all who voted.

Dan_Chisum - I see no problem in using your current game for the challenge.

As a general point I realise that one thing that can be difficult in this type of challenge is waiting for the right job to open up. So in the interest of keeping the challenge alive and moving the story along I have no problem if anyone who is having a go and getting a bit frustrated adds new managers at strategic points to take charge of a club.

Thanks BobBev. My attempt is Herethen. I should have a problems switching jobs since there are only a few (probably less then 20) managers in the game currently icon14.gif. Perhaps I should add a few hundred managers and put them all on holiday icon13.gif.

Challenge Log Entry Nbr 1

Hello, Cloughie here but you can call me Sir. Nice to see so many of you trying to emulate my achievements, but to be honest I can't really see any of you buggers doing half as well as I did!

Walking With Angels by Peacemaker7

Nice start from an FMS legend. Just one point though PM - I granted God an interview, not the other way around!

I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business by Simon F

Early days for the young man. Let's all just hope that it lasts a bit longer than his usual efforts icon_wink.gif

If God had intended me to walk on water by flipsix3

All the signs of a flipsix classic. By the way, in my book there are three types of managers - Walks On Water; Treads Water; Passes Water.

I'm The New Brian Clough by Bazza

Nice style going there young man, keep it up.

If God wanted us to play football in the air by Brian of Nazareth

BoN goes retro and we get ready for another fine challenge story.

Being Brian Clough by Daz the Imp

Another CM01/02 tale that I am looking forward to following.

The year 2050 by Dan_Chisum

By coincidence Dan already had a Hartlepool game running in the distant future - good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobBev:

Hello, Cloughie here but you can call me Sir. Nice to see so many of you trying to emulate my achievements, but to be honest I can't really see any of you buggers doing half as well as I did!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So will you be joining us to show us how it's done then, Sir? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justified:

Do I actually have to write about it or can I show a screenie once (if) I do it ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We kind of like a story Justified - one screenie won't quite cut it I'm afraid.

You have to write about it, that's the whole point of the forum icon_biggrin.gif

There are other places for challenges that you don't have to write about.

Of course there's nothing to stop you doing it and not writing, we just won't care. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

You have to write about it, that's the whole point of the forum icon_biggrin.gif

There are other places for challenges that you don't have to write about.

Of course there's nothing to stop you doing it and not writing, we just won't care. icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are the other challenges then ?

Challenge Log Entry Nbr 2

Hello, Cloughie here again with an update on progress. No one has made it past stage 1 yet but it's early days yet.

After a slow start it looks like the reincarnated Clough is starting to get into his stride.

Not a lot happening in this one yet but I'm sure it will get going soon.

The American Clough has a month under his belt and the tale is looking good.

Bazza is running with a huge database so maybe it's slowing him down.

Things are moving apace in BoN's cracking tale, both on and off the pitch.

Daz is riding high in the league - will he be the first to complete Stage 1?

We haven't heard too much from the distant future but then Dan is busy fighting a relegation battle.

This should be an inspiring title by WLKRAS

A cloned Clough takes charge at the 'Pool.

The Mad Scientist and the Yuppy by Dire Wrangle

DNA manipulation and hypnosis sets this scene for this attempt.

Ciaran Bluff - A 21st Century Brian Clough by LeedsUnitedFan2

Still in pre-season as LUF2 mounts his challenge.

Following in Brian Clough's footsteps by Soup

A mid-table finish for Soup at the end of his first season in this fast-paced yarn.

It's Just a Coincidence by Pierroth

Taking a break from International management, Pierroth joins the fray.

Go Easy On Me, I'm An Old Man by HD

Boring. The players I mean, not the story.

I'll be going for this as well. Bit worried though as being a Derby supporter i'm going to have to manage Florest at some point icon_frown.gif

Also never actually managed to get the Derby job, despite numerous attempts so I'm going to have to break that duck, should I get the success required at Hartlepool

Great Challenge though icon_smile.gif

Challenge Log Entry Nbr 3

Hello, Old Big Head here again with another update. We have one challenger who has completed Stage 1 and is waiting for the Derby job to open up, so well done you.

Completed Stage 1

PM has gained the requisite promotion and is honing his CV as we speak.

Started

Some mixed results for Simon but he's getting into his stride now.

Never one to rush a good story is flippers, so sit back and enjoy the read.

Not much progress from Bazza yet but stay tuned.

BoN is closing in on the playoffs as the season approaches its climax.

Promotion is all but guaranteed for Daz but he's not quite there yet.

Our time traveller may be starting to get into his stride now.

This should be an inspiring title by WLKRAS

Early days yet but the 'Pool are at the wrong end of the table at the moment.

The Mad Scientist and the Yuppy by Dire Wrangle

The DNA cocktail isn't working yet but there's still a long way to go in the season.

Ciaran Bluff - A 21st Century Brian Clough by LeedsUnitedFan2

Nil points - need I say more?

Following in Brian Clough's footsteps by Soup

Midawy through season two and climbing the table.

It's Just a Coincidence by Pierroth

Taking a break from International management, Pierroth joins the fray.

Go Easy On Me, I'm An Old Man by HD

Boring. The players I mean, not the story.

If I hadn't been boozing to excess... by Rob1981

A great Clough quote for the title, that's for sure.

More like Bluff Than Clough Actually by Spav

A nice touch of irony from the man down under.

Stand Up Straight by BobBev

The challenge originator finally plucks up courage to have a go himself.

Quick question, not that I'm anywhere near achieving step one yet. Is the order of the steps fixed? I'm just wondering what happens if the Leeds or Brighton jobs come up whilst you're waiting for Derby...?

I know what my take on it will be, but I'm just curious as to Bob's view.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flipsix3:

Quick question, not that I'm anywhere near achieving step one yet. Is the order of the steps fixed? I'm just wondering what happens if the Leeds or Brighton jobs come up whilst you're waiting for Derby...?

I know what my take on it will be, but I'm just curious as to Bob's view. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question flip. In fact this highlights the problem that is inherent in a challenge of this nature - waiting for specific jobs. Having to mark time until a particular club sacks the manager can be extremely frustrating and it has spolied other challenges in the past. I'm sure that a number of challenge stories will fall by the wayside through natural wastage anyway but I don't want anyone to quit because they are fed up waiting for the next job. I believe that the point of a challenge is to provide a framework within which an interesting story can be told. On that basis I really don't mind if the stages are not strictly adhered to. Hell, I don't care what cheating and skulduggery goes on behind the scenes to keep the story going. Add a new manager and take charge of a club if you have to - that's got to be better than quitting in frustration. what do other people think?

I kind of agree in someways. Im not overtly in favour of blatant cheating, but if its taking time to get a job (iue a season or more) and/or you're being passed over for what appears to be no reason then to keep the story going it might be worth adding a new manager.

I would say in terms of the jobs that obviously you cant take England till you have a decent rep, but you know you could surely do this at any time? And the other order really isnt overly important.

Personally, I will be trying to do it in the right order, but that may change icon_wink.gif

Well I certainly wouldn't adopt the "add manager" trick, but as for the order... we'll see icon_wink.gif

Of course FM2K5 can give yo a little edge with the job scene, I've found that declaring your interest in a job can result in the under-fire manager being sacked more readily if the club feels you have the rep to take over

Archived