Co-Commentators

Co-Commentors - Good or Bad?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Co-Commentors - Good or Bad?

• Good
    • Bad

In the semi-final yesterday, there was no co-commentator. Not sure why this was, may have been explained in the build-up but I missed that. Anyway, I found it refreshing to have the game commentated on more simply, and the silences when there was nothing to say were far better than the inane chit-chat which normally goes on between the two commentators.

Don't think I've heard a full game without a co-commentator before, not that I can remember anyway, and I would like to see more of them. Anyone else feel the same?

They rarely add anything except witless clichés and bad jokes. I prefer no commentary at all really, the BBC used to offer that as a red button option (maybe they still do on cable or satellite?)

Why would people be 'lost' without them? Do you have two people with distinct roles commenting in your ear when you go to a match?

Here in Holland we've always had just the one commentator for football, but often two for other sports. It usually adds little in my opinion. Given the inanity of the football commentators we have - they aren't one iota better than the English ones - the thought of two commentators banging on with their stupid little theories fills me with dread.

The only times it's been good has been at the Tour de France, where one of the usual commentators - who really is as thick as a brick - has been partnered with ex-professional cyclists who weren't afraid to point out on national tv that he was talking out of his arse.

Usually 2 is good, but Jim Beglin is so annoying it was actually quite nice to listen to a game without him whingeing about everything.

But the best commentary so far would have to be Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave, great comedy throughout.

I don't think a commentator necessarily needs to fill every second with his speech, he should only talk when he has something to say that adds to the proceedings on the pitch. Too many commentators make the mistake of thinking they need to talk continually, but end up having to resort to dribble to fill all the gaps. So I don't mind a bit of silence now and again, really.

Not heard a full game without a co-commentator, should watch outside the UK there's loads. Whole World Cup was only one commentator for us on Jazeera but last night we had Trevor Francis being co-commentator.

I don't mind it either way, sometimes the solo guy rambles on about useless stuff and sometimes co-commentators basically add nothing whatsoever to the commentary

Premier League coverage outside the UK you tend to get those ex-pros that seem to be on the 'circuit' ... Gary O'Reily, Efan Ekoku, Paul Walsh (annoying), Pleat (A-List!), Davie Provan, Winterburn and so on ... they rotate, some are terrible some aren't so bad

Archived