Survivor: The Comeback

Skiddaw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba Appoint Mamo As New Manager

The Cuban FA has appointed Christopher Mamo as the National Team’s new Manager. The appointment came as a surprise to many, and has been attributed mainly to Mamo’s mentor in the CONCACAF zone, Jim Caffiero.

Caffiero, an agent for Caribbean-born players, has been well-known to furnish Mamo with some fine talent which could have been lost were it not for him.

The Cuban FA confirmed Mamo’s appointment on Monday afternoon, but refused to give details about the contract. It is speculated that [the contract] will last until the start of the 2014 World Cup.

The FA Chairman, Reginaldo Cubillas, said, “we are pretty aware of the fact that we do not represent what may be called a powerhouse in the football department. However, Mamo’s history proves very reassuring, as he is well-known to bring out the best of his players. We do not expect to be in Germany in 2010, but we do expect the team to start off by qualifying for the final round. Anything over that is purely a bonus and cannot be regarded as much more.

Mamo declared himself happy at being in Havana, and that the ‘Juan Abrantes’ Stadium had better prepare itself for exciting, attacking football like it has never seen before.

For the good of Cuban pride, one can only hope that Mamo is right.

Damian Currás

Havana Sport Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba Appoint Mamo As New Manager

The Cuban FA has appointed Christopher Mamo as the National Team’s new Manager. The appointment came as a surprise to many, and has been attributed mainly to Mamo’s mentor in the CONCACAF zone, Jim Caffiero.

Caffiero, an agent for Caribbean-born players, has been well-known to furnish Mamo with some fine talent which could have been lost were it not for him.

The Cuban FA confirmed Mamo’s appointment on Monday afternoon, but refused to give details about the contract. It is speculated that [the contract] will last until the start of the 2014 World Cup.

The FA Chairman, Reginaldo Cubillas, said, “we are pretty aware of the fact that we do not represent what may be called a powerhouse in the football department. However, Mamo’s history proves very reassuring, as he is well-known to bring out the best of his players. We do not expect to be in Germany in 2010, but we do expect the team to start off by qualifying for the final round. Anything over that is purely a bonus and cannot be regarded as much more.

Mamo declared himself happy at being in Havana, and that the ‘Juan Abrantes’ Stadium had better prepare itself for exciting, attacking football like it has never seen before.

For the good of Cuban pride, one can only hope that Mamo is right.

Damian Currás

Havana Sport Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CONCACAF First Phase First Round Draw

With all the big guns not yet in the competition, there was only relative interest in the draw. Much more attention was instead directed at the Second Round Draw, which directly decided who was to be facing the likes of Mexico and the United States. Other seeded teams include Cuba, who will be looking to improve their unimpressive track record under Manager Mamo, shipped directly from Europe. The complete draw reads:

Bahamas vs Antigua & Barbuda (winner to face Mexico)

Belize vs Nicaragua (winner to face Jamaica)

British Virgin Islands vs Bermuda (winner to face Cuba)

Cayman Islands vs Turks & Caicos Islands (winner to face Canada)

Dominica vs St. Vincent (winner to face Haiti)

Grenada vs Aruba (winner to face Trinidad & Tobago)

Montserrat vs St. Lucia (winner to face United States)

Netherlands Antilles vs Guyana (winner to face Costa Rica)

Surinam vs Anguilla (winner to face El Salvador)

US Virgin Islands vs Dominican Rep. (winner to face Barbados)

Other nations, seeded but not to play against First Round opponents, were drawn in the following fixtures:

Panama vs Honduras

Guatemala vs St. Kitts & Nevis

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First Phase First Round First Leg

Results of the first set of games (played on Wednesday 13th February 2008) are shown below:

Anguilla 3 – 0 Surinam

Antigua & Barbuda 2 – 0 Bahamas

Aruba 2 – 2 Grenada

Bermuda 1 – 2 British Virgin Islands

Dominican Rep. 2 – 1 US Virgin Islands

Guyana 3 – 1 Netherlands Antilles

Nicaragua 2 – 0 Belize

St. Lucia 3 – 1 Montserrat

St. Vincent 0 – 3 Dominica

Turks & Caicos Islands 3 – 1 Cayman Islands

These results have not yet cut any verdicts, but Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands and above all Dominica have one foot in the next Round after convincing and strategic wins.

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First Phase First Round Second Leg

The first teams have been eliminated from the World Cup 2010 to be held in Germany. Despite the fact that none of those teams may be considered as contenders to the likes of the big European and South American nations, the elimination process starts here, in the warm Caribbean waters that were once ruled by fierce pirates and mystical sea monsters.

The only thing ruling these countries today, however, has proven to be what may be described as a living passion for the game of football, or soccer as it may be known in this side of the world.

The results of the 26th of March 2008 have given the following qualifiers:

Bahamas 2 – 1 Antigua & Barbuda

Antigua & Barbuda qualify 3-2 on aggregate to meet Mexico

Belize 2 – 1 Nicaragua

Nicaragua qualify 3-2 on aggregate to meet Jamaica

British Virgin Islands 3 – 1 Bermuda

British Virgin Islands qualify 5-2 on aggregate to meet Cuba

Cayman Islands 3 – 2 Turks & Caicos Islands

Turks & Caicos Islands qualify on away goals to meet Canada

Dominica 0 – 0 St. Vincent

Dominica qualify 3-0 on aggregate to meet Haiti

Grenada 1 – 1 Aruba

Grenada qualify on away goals to meet Trinidad & Tobago

Montserrat 2 – 1 St. Lucia

St. Lucia qualify 4-3 on aggregate to meet the United States

Netherlands Antilles 1 – 2 Guyana

Guyana qualify 5-2 on aggregate to meet Costa Rica

Surinam 4 – 0 Anguilla

Surinam qualify 4-3 on aggregate to meet El Salvador

US Virgin Islands 3 – 1 Dominican Rep.

US Virgin Islands qualify 4-3 on aggregate to meet Barbados

The most surprising of results was undoubtedly Surinam’s 4-0 victory over Anguilla, which completely overturned the visitor’s hopes of making through after a convincing three-goal victory in Valley.

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mamo calls up his first ever Cuba

New Havana-based Manager Christopher Mamo has called up his first ever Cuba squad this afternoon. With little space fore massive facelifts, the squad contains more or less the same faces the Cuban public has been accustomed to. This seems like an answer from Mamo, directed probably to those few tens of Cubans who opposed his appointment. He looks like he’s saying “You need my tactical knowledge to get your old players moving…â€

I, for one, really hope he proves himself right. In the buildup against the British Virgin Islands, Mamo gave out an exclusive interview to the ‘Havana Sports Weekly’.

Q: What do you think of life in general in Cuba?

A: I guess if you’re not in it, you cannot really judge it. From the outside, numerous comments are made, namely referring to the way the country is run and how the standard of living is poor in certain communities. I feel that I’m safe enough to say that the Havana underground life is very much alive and kicking, but hey, that’s the way of life here. That’s the Cuban culture, the way Cuba got on the World Map. It’s like saying Budapest is not famous for pickpockets, or that the Sicilian Mafia isn’t as important to Sicily’s name as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris. And Paris? The cost of living… Havana is what it is today thanks to its way of life.

Q: You’ll be pleasing a lot of people like that! And about Cuban football?

A: I doubt I’d be offending if I claimed that Cuba’s football has been appalling of late. Cuba needs fresh blood, new life. The modern game isn’t like it was in the old days, where a ball of clothes made a good football, where romanticism was more important than skill. Cuba needs major investment, but once that is completed, results will without any doubt come Cuba’s way.

Q: So you fancy your chances in the earlier rounds or even those are compromised?

A: I plan to carry out my mission of reaching the latter stages of the qualifying competition. So I do believe in the current crop of players. However, it all depends on one basic thing: attitude. We’re not playing at the top level, but we’re not the Oratory Youths neither. We have to concentrate, and I’m pretty sure that as they say, every dog has his day.

Q: That seems like a declaration of war against the British Virgin Islands.

A: No, not at all. I reckon the Virginians know full well that Cuba is the stronger side and that we are the hot favourites to make it through. Anybody betting should bet on us. It’s safe money, I might say.

Enthusiasm and talent. And as Mamo declares, attitude. Let us hope the promise can be fulfilled.

The squad to face the British Virgin Islands is composed of:

Goalkeepers: Fabian Prieto (CSKA Moscow), Alexis Reve (Villa Clara), Odelin Molina (Villa Clara)

Defenders: Alexander Cruzata (Holguin). Felix Campagnar (Karnten), Carlos Thiano (Brondby), Gil Natalio (Lokomotiv Moscow), Rodrigo Costa (1860 Munich), Gregorio Sanchis (Villareal), Pepe Inigo (Bregenz)

Midfielders: Luis Martinez (Aris), Pedro Ibon (Valencia), Isidro (unattached), Feliciano Lozano (unattached), Rey Martinez (Colorado), Rene Estrada (Industriales), Cesar (unattached), Raudel Rodriguez (Pinar del Rio), Alberto Delgado (Colorado)

Forwards: Jaume Castedo (CSKA Moscow), Alain Cervantes (Ciego de Avila), Maikel Galindo (Villa Clara), Pedro Faife (Villa Clara)

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> British Virgin Islands vs Cuba

First Phase, Second Round, First Leg

National Stadium (Tortola)

The new Cuba Manager has convinced everyone doubting his abilities after the away tie against the BVI, winning stupendously and being able to claim a place in the next set of fixtures without any shadow of doubt.

Ironically, the best player for Cuba proved to be Virginian goalkeeper Tony Pearson, who did absolutely nothing to keep the ball out of his net. Three minutes were enough for Cuba to assert their superiority, when Jaume Castedo opened the score. It marked the beginning of hell for BVI, with Valencia anchorman Pedro Ibon scoring twice, setting the fourth goal for Castedo again to make it 4-0 after a mere eleven minutes. The first half knew no advances from BVI, who were all the time kept in their own half thanks to a wonderful performance by Luis Martinez.

In the second half, BVI tried their best to start off on the right foot, and their efforts paid off when Andy Robinson reduced the gap. Cuba showed little interest in hitting harder than they did in the first half, but their attitude which Mamo talked about prior to the match looked impeccably positive. Michael White was the man of the minute, though, as he scored again for the greens to half the score on the hour mark. Maybe the time for a couple of changes for Cuba? Mamo responded by sending Felix Campagnar, Feliciano Lozano and Alberto Delgado on, replacing Luis Martinez, Rodrigo Costa and Rey Martinez. It was soon the same music all over again, with Cuba refinding that attacking touch, and denting Pearson’s confidence when Jaume Castedo hit two more to make them four-in-a-match. Maikel Galindo soon increased the scoreline again, and as Cuban fans who had made the trip started supporting the team with full fervour, Rene Estrada hit yet another one home. The score was completed with another Ibon goal, who made it to a rare hattrick for a defensive-minded midfielder.

The likes of Mexico and USA will most likely be wanting to avoid Cuba, should they continue to perform so well.

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Natalio, Sanchis, Costa (sub. Campagnar) – L. Martinez (sub. Lozano) – Estrada, R. Martinez (sub. Delgado), Ibon – Galindo, Castedo (MoM)

British Virgin Islands: Pearson – Walker, Wilkinson, Palmer, Wood – Richardson (sub. Wright), Harrison, Clarke (sub. Browne), Campbell – Robinson (sub. Jackson), White

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> “Welcome to today’s edition of Cubagoal, live for you listeners from Havana on 95.2FM. Our guest tonight, as promised, Christopher Mamo, the new Manager of our National Side.â€

Q: Welcome, Mr. Mamo. So, one match down, and hopefully many more to come!

A: Well, I’m seeing you’re one convinced guy. Let’s not hosannate after one match. It wasn’t the toughest of oppositions. Maybe we still need a couple of games to settle down.

Q: But by the looks of it you’ve got a firm grasp of it.

A: No manager would ever come to a radio program and say ‘hey, you know what? I think I don’t know what the hell I’m doing with the team!’ Not that that’s the case, I mean, but it was a wasted question. I’m sorry, you lost points on that one!

Q: Well, well. You like to stay in control then. Tell us the truth, you like to stay on top then!

A: [laughing] Depends what you’re talking about. In football – yes. But as I’m sure you ain’t referring to that – no. I waste too much energy in training to have any left to spend after the sun goes down. So anyone wanting to please me, get on me.

Q: Yeah, that’s the spirit. On a slightly more serious note, though, we’ve heard that striker Galindo has been praising your tactics after he scored his first with the National Team. How do you respond to that?

A: I am merely a medium. The guys have it in them, and I am there to decide who’s in good form and who’s in less. Galindo had been training splendidly over the previous days. If I remember correctly he was the first to reach the Abrantes when I called for the squad, so there you have it – a hard-working, eager, talented guy. Who happened to be a gentleman and not think he’s on top of the world after an important goal. I like the guy.

Q: But assuming Castedo is untouchable, as he probably is, Galindo has to battle it out for the other striker’s shirt. Right?

A: No, not that Castedo is untouchable. I’d think it over a million times if he’s underperforming, I must admit, but nobody is indispensable. Especially at this stage when everyone is still trying to fit in. I’ll be trying out other guys in the return match in a few days, just to see what they can do. One last thing on Castedo, he’s a talented guy with a great future ahead of him. Playing in Russia, he is sure to be of great service to the nation. I predict a rosy pro career for him. And after that maybe some managerial or youngsters stuff.

Q: I’m assuming you know the results from the other matches?

A: Oh, no! Not yet. I heard of USA and Mexico wins, but those were to be expected. Nothing else though.

Q: Alright, so for fans and Mamo alike, here are the results from the First Leg of the Second Round of the First Phase. My, they really should call them something else. Brought to you courtesy of Pinacola… the Best Cola Ever.

Antigua & Barbuda 1 – 2 Mexico

British Virgin Islands 2 – 9 Cuba

Dominica 2 – 1 Haiti

Grenada 1 – 2 Trinidad & Tobago

Guatemala 3 – 0 St. Kitts & Nevis

Guyana 2 – 2 Costa Rica

Nicaragua 0 – 2 Jamaica

Panama 3 – 1 Honduras

St. Lucia 1 – 2 United States

Surinam 2 – 1 El Salvador

Turks & Caicos Islands 0 – 3 Canada

US Virgin Islands 2 – 1 Barbados

Surprised by any of the results, Chris?

A: No, not really. By Cuba’s actually, maybe, wasn’t expecting such a wide margin, and perhaps – only perhaps though – I wasn’t thinking of such an efficient Panama? But it’s the first leg, and anything could happen next time these teams meet. I’m happy for Canada though. I heard there are many keen supporters, not least a certain Pierroth. I’m sure he’d like to see the reds in Germany.

Q: Well, with that we come to the end of today’s edition of Cubagoal. I’ll be with you next time, with another great guest. Could you make it again, Chris?â€

A: Not sure next week. But we’ll keep in touch.

Q: Next week it won’t be Chris then, he’ll be having somebody above him it seems. But we’ll still be here. So until next time, keep the faith.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interview was carried out by local DJ Ozmo, as he insists on being called, for NoBrakesFM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba vs British Virgin Islands

First Phase, Second Round, Second Leg

Juan Abrantes (Havana)

With the Cuba clan on a high after the thrashing of BVI in the first leg, Mamo took the opportunity to try out a few other players in the match which assumed little importance. It could be seen as a dress rehearsal, as Mamo said during a press conference after the first leg.

Still, Cuba were not there to loose the match, and even less so BVI, who had some pride to restore. Particularly Person who was in the starting lineup despite the nine goals at Tortola. It was Cuba who had the upper hand again, though, with Castedo opening the scores and Rey Martinez doubling it. Matt Campbell rewarded the visitors with a rare away goal, before Castedo scored again on the brink of half time. Mamo told him 135 minutes were enough for him this time round, and gave Raudel Rodriguez, who plays for San Cristobal side Pinar del Rio, 45 minutes to convince him of his abilities.

In the second half, it was a target practice for Cuba, who found a much more prepared Person this time, and who flew from post to post in attempt to convince the Cubans he was not a no-hoper. Alain Cervantes however, made it four for Cuba after the hour mark had passed, making his own claim for the Castedo-partner position. Rey Martinez and Natalio were then asked to make way for Delgado and Gregorio Sanchis. There wasn’t much to it, however, as the match trailed towards the end. The only fault displayed by Cuba was reserve goalkeeper Odelin Molina, it seemed, as Harrison took full advantage of him napping, scoring a fascinating goal that could only hurt the BVI players, fans and sympathizers. They surely could have done better over 180 minutes.

Cuba: Molina – Inigo, Natalio (sub. Sanchis), Thiano, Costa – Lozano – Martinez (sub. Delgado), Ibon, Cesar – Cervantes (MoM), Castedo (sub. Rodriguez)

British Virgin Islands: Person – Walker, Wilkinson, Palmer, Wood – Richardson, Campbell (sub. C. White), Harrison, Clarke (sub. Browne) – Robinson (inj., sub. Wright), M. White

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Teams Halved As Semifinalists Become Known

The CONCACAF World Cup 2010 Qualifying Section continued to emit verdicts yesterday as the teams running for the three coveted places in the 2010 finals were halved to yield 12 contenders, who more capable and who only a hopeful. The full results from the First Phase Second Round qualifying are:

Barbados 2 – 1 US Virgin Islands

US Virgin Islands win 5-3 on penalties

Canada 4 – 2 Turks & Caicos Islands

Canada win 7-2 on aggregate

Costa Rica 4 – 1 Guyana

Costa Rica win 6-3 on aggregate

Cuba 4 – 2 British Virgin Islands

Cuba win 13-4 on aggregate

El Salvador 2 – 1 Surinam

Surinam win 5-4 on penalties

Haiti 1 – 3 Dominica

Dominica win 5-3 on aggregate

Honduras 1 – 1 Panama

Panama win 4-2 on aggregate

Jamaica 3 – 0 Nicaragua

Jamaica win 5-0 on aggregate

Mexico 2 – 0 Antigua & Barbuda

Mexico win 4-1 on aggregate

St. Kitts & Nevis 0 – 4 Guatemala

Guatemala win 7-0 on aggregate

Trinidad & Tobago 3 – 0 Grenada

Trinidad & Tobago win 5-1 on aggregate

United States 2 – 0 St. Lucia

USA win 4-1 on aggregate

Barely any surprises there, only confirmations of the strengths of USA, Mexico and perhaps Jamaica. Cuba, on the other hand, have demonstrated a very vivid style of play which will be hard to contain by any team on Cuba’s day. Honduras might feel slightly aggravated at loosing out at this stage, as may El Salvador. Both teams were accustomed to reaching the latter stages of the qualifying race, without ever making it through themselves, however. The real pressure is about to start though, as in two weeks’ time the draw for the Second Phase takes place.

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dream Draw For Cuba

The entire footballing Cuban nation must be pleased at the draw handed to the blue&whites by Lady Luck. Group One it shall be, then, alongside Dominica, Surinam and Mexico. Definitely a group which leaves ample space for dreaming the Thrid Phase. Right after the draw, Mamo said, â€I cannot complain at all at the draw. It could have been much worse, with Jamaica down the line for example, apart from Mexico. So I’m not complaining at all. If I had it my way, there’d be the Costa Ricans instead of Mexico, but hey, we’re not living in an ideal world, so we’ll roll with it. I predict a second spot finish, without any real problems. The first two matches will decide though. They are tricky matches, but not impossible. I’d like to preach caution though. Surinam, after all, did beat the more quoted El Salvador to the Semis.â€

But with such a positive Mamo, it’s hard to keep the fans from daydreaming. Cuba are once again on the CONCACAF map it seems. Maybe soon Cuba will be on the World Map. For the first time.

The groups in full, as drawn, are:

GRP1: Mexico, Cuba, Dominica, Surinam

GRP2: USA, Jamaica, Panama, US Virgin Islands

GRP3: Costa Rica, Canada, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago

It looks like there is little space for mistakes in all groups though, especially in the last group, where all of Canada, Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala will be battling out for one slot. Unless Costa Rica experience a very big collapse of their game…

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Misfortune The Main Protagonist As Mamo Chooses Squad

An injury-plagued Cuba will start off its semifinals with matches away to Surinam and at home against Dominica. About the fixtures, Mamo said, “We’ll be having Mexico at the very end, so the first two games will give us a pretty clear picture of what we’re going to be facing. I only hope that we do well enough to avoid any need-to-win situations against the Mexicans.â€

In reality, Mamo was much more worried about the current form of some of his players. Star striker Jaume Castedo was released by his club CSKA Moscow and appeared less than motivated for the couple of matches ahead. Injuries have played their part too, with the likes of Luis Martinez, Alain Ceravntes, Pepe Inigo, Felix Campagnar, Rene Estrada and Alberto Delgado all missing out.

To add insult to injury, a prominent ex-International was quoted as saying, “I Doubt Mamo has any real chances of living his dream. Surinam are well-organised and they could well be the ones to be making it through. I see disaster. I only want that Cubs avoids hefty defeats.†Mamo, in style, suggested that if that were the case, the definitely wasn’t because the ex-player wasn’t still around to make it better.

The full squad consists of:

Goalkeepers: Fabian Preito (CSKA Moscow), Oldelin Molina (Villa Clara), Alexis Reves (Villa Clara)

Defenders: Silvio Pedro (Villa Clara), Carlos Thiano (Brondby), Gil Natalio (Lokomotiv Moscow), Gregorio Sanchis (Villareal), Carlos Madrigal (Sancti Spiritus), Rodrigo Costa (1860 Munich), Bernardo Rosette (Ciudad Habana), Agustin (unattached)

Midfielders: Pedro Ibon (Valencia), Eugenio Aragon (Ciego de Avila), Julio (Ciodad Habana), Christian Draco (unattached), Alien Perez (Ciego de Avila), Hansel Zayas (Ciego de Avila), Isidro (unattached)

Forwards: Maikel Galindo (Villa Clara), Ivan Graziani (Cuoiocappiano), Jaume Castedo (unattached), Gisbel Morales (Pinar del Rio)

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Surinam vs Cuba

Second Phase, Matchday 1

Andre Kamperveen Stadion (Paramaribo)

In a tightly, contested match which could have gone either way, the fairest result was reflected by ninety minutes, as Cuba left the South American mainland with a precious point.

It was Cuba who opened the score after a mere 40 seconds, through a perfectly placed ball by Italy-based Graziani, who took up a great Castedo through pass to put it behind Coort’s back. With confidence running high, Cuba pressed forward, with shots on goal coming from all directions, namely from Zayes and Isidro, who greatly disappointed, apart from the fact that he found the ball at his feet a number of times, one might say always because he was playing out of his pre-assigned position. The first half could have seen Cuba increase Surinam’s deficit, but for a number of reasons, not least Coor’s brilliant performance, that did not happen.

In what one may call ‘a game of two halves’, Surinam came out and on their behalf completely dominated the latter portion of the game. Dayes, from the back line, dictated the rhythm of play and sent a greal deal of balls directly into the Cubans’ third of the pitch, setting up the goal which would see the result rest on the definitive 1-1, courtesy of Egberts. With nothing much more to highlight on Surinam’s side, Cuba did have one last big occasion, during injury time, which could have seen Gisbel Morales, who replaced the demotivated Jaume Castedo snatch a further two points for Cuba. But that didn’t happen, and at the end of the day it was a good point earned in Paramaribo.

Surinam: Coort – Panhuis, Boogers, Pruiksma (sub. Makhout), Danes – Göbel (sub. Boschker), Frijters, van den Boogaart (sub. Koopman), de Geus – Egbers, Wille

Cuba: Prieto (MoM) – Agustin, Pedro, Natalio, Rosette – Aragon – Zayas, Isidro (sub. Julio), Perez (sub. Ibon) – Castedo (sub. Morales), Graziani

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CONCACAF WC2010 Qulaifiers: Second Phase, Matchday 1 Results

The results for the latest CONCACAF round of games have reserved surprising wins as well as solid reaffirmations for the countries still in the running. Here are the results:

GROUP 1

Dominica 0 – 3 Mexico

Surinam 1 – 1 Cuba

[Mex 3pts; CUB, SUR 1pt; DMA 0pts]

GROUP 2

Jamaica 2 – 1 United States

US Virgin Islands 2 – 2 Panama

[JAM 3pts; VIR, PAN 1 pt; USA 0pts]

GROUP 3

Costa Rica 2 – 4 Trinidad & Tobago

Guatemala 0 – 3 Canada

[CAN, TRI 3pts; GUA, CRC 0pts]

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On FMS, a 7-day rule is in operation. This means users cannot start a new story within seven days of starting their previous one. Failure to comply with this rule will lead to closure of your threads. This was designed to stop flooding the forum with unfinished stories. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll re-open this on tuesday 4th january when the seven days since you started "Survivor" will have passed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Minor Cosmetic Changes for Cuba

For the match against Dominica, Cuba Manager Mamo has changed a few players, some due to injury, others for technical reasons. However, Mamo has surprisingly left out Colorado attacking midfielder Delgado out for the second match in a row. Whether it is a subtle way of making the player realize his performances for his club haven’t been too good of late still has to be seen.

The Cuba squad will therefore consist of 24 players, the highest number ever called up by Mamo for an official match. The names are:

Goalkeepers: Fabian Prieto (CSKA Moscow), Alexis Reves (Villa Clara), Odelin Molina (Villa Clara)

Defenders: Silvio Pedro (Villa Clara), Pepito Vasco (Vac), Carlos Thiano (Brondby), Gil Natalio (Lokomotiv Moscow), Gregorio Sanchis (Villareal), Rodrigo Costa (1860 Munich), Bernardo Rosette (Ciudad Habana), Augustin (unattached), Pepe Inigo (Bregenz)

Midfielders: Pedro Ibon (Valencia), Eugenio Aragon (Ciego de Avila), Christian Draco (unattached), Julio (Ciudad Habana), Rey Martinez (Colorado), Alien Perez (Ciego de Avila), Hansel Zayas (Provincia Habana)

Forwards: Jaume Castedo (unattached), Alain Cervantes (Ciego de Avila), Maikel Galindo (Villa Clara), Gisbel Morales (Piñar del Rio)

With matchday fast approaching, Mamo will be looking to instruct his team on how to improve upon the previous ninety minutes. Dominica should be easily beaten, but Mamo’s caution should be an example to all at the Cuba training camp.

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba vs Dominica

Second Phase, Matchday 2

Juan Abrantes (Havana)

In a fine day for playing football, Cuba grabbed their first win in the Second Phase thanks to a convincing win against Dominica. One feels that it was all down to the better use of the ball displayed by the Cubans, although Dominica did have their chances which were shamefully wasted.

Cuba strted off on an attacking note, with wonderful combinations between Rey Martinez and the still unemployed Jaume Castedo. However, it was Cervantes who opened the score, served by a brilliant Draco, at his debut. Cervantes doubled the score on the brink of half time to send Cuba in the dressing room firmly in control.

In the second half, Dominica stunned Cuba after only seconds, with Rose who slotted the ball in the back of the net. It was Castedo who immediately restored the two-goal distance, however, before an excellent move by substitute Zayas was aptly finished by Alien Perez, who has been linked to a move in the United States in the past weeks. The score did not change any more, and a 4-1 win is sure to delight all Cuba fans and players.

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Vasco, Natalio, Sanchis (sub. Rosette) – Ibon – Perez, Draco (sub. Zayas), Martinez (MoM) – Castedo (sub. Galindo), Cervantes

Dominica: Hayter – Nixon, King, Locke (sub. Samuel) – Tucker, Matthews (sub. Thompson), Holsgrove, Roberts (sub. Talbot), Russel – Jones, Rose

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Matchday 2: A Big Disappointment for United States

Matchday 2 will surely a day to be remembered by Panama, who managed to steal a point from USA, who now find themselves with one mere point after two games. Jamaica nd Mexico did well, winning their games. In Group 3, everything is ever so balanced, with just Trinidad & Tobago being able to run away with the second consecutive victory. Full results follow:

GROUP 1

Cuba 4 – 1 Dominica

Mexico 4 – 1 Surinam

[MEX 6pts; CUB 4pts; SUR 1pt; DMA 0pts]

GROUP 2

Jamaica 2 – 0 US Virgin Islands

United States 0 – 0 Panama

[JAM 6pts; PAN 2pts; VIR, USA 1pt]

GROUP 3

Costa Rica 3 – 1 Guatemala

Trinidad & Tobago 2 – 1 Canada

[TRI 6pts; CRC, CAN 3pts; GUA 0pts]

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mexico vs Cuba

Second Phase, Matchday 3

Estadio Azteca (Mexico City)

Nobody was expecting a win for Cuba in Mexico, but Cuba surely should have done better than sit back, relaxed, trying to defend the undefendable. The best for of defence, I often hear said, is attack. But there was no attack for Cuba last night. The only time Cuba went close to goal was on 90 minutes, after a fluked shot by Ibon.

The first half told pretty much the tale of the entire match, with Mexico having the absolute liberty of placing the ball where they wanted. Santana, twice Rubirosa and twice again Oribe Peralta had already set the score on five-nil by the half time whistle. No appeal to the sentence, Mexico really were many notches above Cuba.

The second half was slightly better for Cuba, who managed not to concede any moer goals, but which nevertheless was played almost entirely in the Cuban half. The best Cuban player on the day was undoubtedly defender Natalio, but this does not mean he has to be happy with his performance. He’d be lucky to get a ‘7’ rating. A ‘6’ would be more apt. The sending off of Silvio Pedro twenty minutes before the 90th was not a help either, but it was all wrapped up by then.

At least, Surinam did not win. But Dominica did.

Mexico: Ochoa – Castro, Lozano (inj., sub. G. Galindo), Marquez, Davino – Fonseca, Rubirosa (MoM) (sub. A. Galindo), Toledo, Santana (sub. Morales) – Rodriguez, Peralta

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Pedro (sent off), Natalio, Sanchis (sub. Thiano) – Ibon – Perez, Draco (sub. Zayas), Martinez (MoM) – Castedo (sub. Graziani), Cervantes

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Matchday 3: United States in Crisis

The USA are in deep crisis after their latest poor game, capped by a poor result, in the Semis of the CONCACAF Qualifiers. This time round, the unlikeliest of nations stopped the Stars & Stripes, in the form of the US Virgin Islands. Manager Bruce Arena really has to improve very soon now, if he is to make it to the Final Round. Full results follow:

GROUP 1

Mexico 5 – 0 Cuba

Dominica 3 – 2 Surinam

[MEX 9pts; CUB 4pts; DMA 3pts; SUR 1pt]

GROUP 2

Panama 0 – 2 Jamaica

US Virgin Islands 2 – 2 United States

[JAM 9pts; VIR, USA, PAN 2pts]

GROUP 3

Canada 3 – 0 Costa Rica

Guatemala 3 – 1 Trinidad & Tobago

[CAN, TRI 6pts; CRC, GUA 3pts]

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> “Good Evening, Havana, and welcome to yet another edition of Cubagoal. This week, Manager Chris Mamo has returned to visit us. Welcome back Mr. Mamo.â€

Q: So, Chris. Perhaps we should call our program Mexicogoal for today, what do you think?

A: Yeah, maybe we should. After all, they are really kicking everybody’s asses. They’re a really solid team and I wouldn’t mind them doing very very well in the WC Finals. I think they can start thinking about the Finals draw already.

Q: That superior? And Cuba, where do we stand right now?

A: I saw FIFA’s ranking just before coming here – you know, I wanted to be prepared and all – and I found that we have actually jumped to the 122nd place. We’re improving, and next up ahead of us, it’s Panama. I reckon we can skip them in the rankings quite soon. Given we keep our act together. As for the football. Well, I’ve seen a spirited side which could do well enough to exceed expectations. Not exaggeratedly, but the potential is there.

Q: Too many uncontracted guys, though.

A: Yes, definitely. Two players above all. Needless to say, one is ex-CSKA Moscow striker Jaume Castedo. I’d see him do well in one of the Medium-sized clubs. Brescia in Italy or Aberdeen in Scotland maybe. But it’s their decision. The other guy is Christian Draco, who played exceedingly well against Dominica. He’d figure in a lot of clubs, maybe in the States or in one of the less demanding leagues maybe, for starters.

Q: A small word of advice for Bruce Arena?

A: Oh, man! I’m not the one to be teaching Arena any football. Well, maybe a little bit, but only because he’s a yank! USA have some very good players, I’m sure they’ll be getting the plane to South Africa come the moment of truth. The Virginians are just riding on a high, and Panama are a little short of depth, so I doubt they’ll be causing any upsets. It all depends on the States players, though, obviously.

Q: For what you’re seeing, then, it’s USA and who else?

A: I’d like to say Cuba, but I think that Mexico are in pole position. Then it’ll be a battle between Jamaica and Canada and maybe Trinidad & Tobago. I see Jamaica as the best of the three though.

Q: In less than a month there’s going to be Surinam at the Juan Abrantes.

A: Yes. A win there and we’re virtually through. Then Dominica away to make sure of it mathematically, and hopefully we can play against Mexico knowing we’re through already. The fixtures have been to our advantage.

Q: I’m afraid that’s it for today, from me, DJ Ozmo, and Manager Mamo, goodnight. We’ll be meeting again next week, cheering on Cuba as usual. Keep the faith.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> All Prepared for Surinam and Dominica Matches

Mamo has called his squad for the all-important match against Surinam, and a few days later, against Dominica. With a well-balanced squad, Mamo looks confident of obtaining all six points from these matches, which would all but ensure Cuba’s participation in the Final Round, known as the Third Phase, of the CONCACAF Qualifying Section. The only question mark lies over Mamo’s decision to call just two goalkeepers, making way for an extra midfielder, the debutant Che Isidoro who has caught the Manager’s eye after a move to Turkey.

Goalkeepers: Fabian Prieto (CSKA Moscow), Odelin Molina (Villa Clara)

Defenders: Pepito Vasco (Vac), Carlos Thiano (Brondby), Gregorio Sanchis (Villarreal), Gil Natalio (Lokomotiv Moscow), Emilio (Ciudad Habana), Pepe Inigo (Bregenz)

Midfielders: Pedro Ibon (Valencia), Eugenio Aragon (Ciego de Avila), Christian Draco (unattached), Che Isidoro (Ankara), Rey Martinez (Coloroado), Alien Perez (Ciego de Avila), Hansel Zayas (Provincia Habana), Alberto Delgado (Coloroado)

Forwards: Ivan Graziani (Cuoiocappiano), Jaume Castedo (unattached), Alain Cervantes (Ciego de Avila), Maikel Galindo (Villa Clara)

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba vs Surinam

Second Phase, Matchday 4

Juan Abrantes (Havana)

Cuba quickly forgot the sound beating suffered at the Azteca by imposing their play over Surinam, a side which should have probably offered far greater resistance, given the good show put up in the first meeting between the two sides.

The sending off of de Geus after a handful of minutes, coupled with the penalty kick which was assigned for the same foul (converted by the unattached Christian Draco), put Cuba immediately on the right track, and Castedo’s double hit before half time virtually decided the winner in the first half.

The one-sidedness of the first fraction of play eased off somewhat in the second half, thanks to a worthy effort put in by Surinam’s central midfielders Frijters and van den Boogaart, but it was still Cuba who had the upper hand, and geometrically-perfect passes ensured Cuba’s fourth and fifth goals, courtesy of Delgado and debutant Isidoro respectively.

At the end, a five-without-reply win for Cuba was more than the islanders actually needed, but once it came home, the goal difference deficit caused by Mexico was cancelled out completely.

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Vasco (sub. Emilio), Thiano, Natalio – Aragon (cub. Martinez) – Isidoro, Ibon, Draco – Delgado (sub. Galindo), Castedo (MoM)

Surinam: Coort – Boogers, Panhuis, Pruiksma (sub. Dey), Mommers – Goebel (sub. Koopman), Frijters, van den Boogart, de Geus (sent off) – Wille, Egbers (sub. Hiele)

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> USA still without a win, but Cuba and Canada Convince Skeptics

While the United States still were in the toughest of situations, drawing 2-2 against Panama, Cuba and Canada notched important morale-defining wins. Full results follow:

GROUP 1

Cuba 5 – 0 Surinam

Mexico 3 – 1 Dominica

[MEX 12pts; CUB 7pts; DMA 3pts; SUR 1pt]

GROUP 2

Panama 2 – 2 United States

US Virgin Islands 0 – 3 Jamaica

[JAM 12pts; USA, PAN 3pts; VIR 2pts]

GROUP 3

Canada 4 – 1 Trinidad & Tobago

Guatemala 0 – 1 Costa Rica

[CAN 9pts; TRI, CRC 6pts; GUA 3pts]

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dominica vs Cuba

Second Phase, Matchday 5

Windsor Park (Roseau)

A perfect display, described as ‘one to remember’ by Mamo in his post-match press conference, has seen Cuba earn themselves another three points, but more importantly the pre-targeted place among the last six in CONCACAF Qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup.

To say the truth, Cuba did feel some kind of pressure, despite Castedo (who has been linked to some European sides after the Surinam match) putting them ahead. The match never really gained momentum, and was entirely made of ‘try-harder’ shots which were easily parried by both Prieto and Graham, the latter to win the Man of the Match after all had been said and done.

A poor – yet not boring – first half provided the spark which would see a great match in the making. Attractive attacking football was displayed by both sides, both of whom needed a win, Dominica to keep hoping, and Cuba to confirm qualification, which inevitably left a great deal of spaces to be exploited in midfield. Mamo’s decision to add en extra man in midfield (by relegating Delgado) somewhat unbalanced the side at first, with Gavin Rose grabbing the much coveted equalizer. That meant the Cuba vs Mexico match had to be won by Cuba, at all costs. ‘Try-harders’ turned into desperate attacks on goal, and it was only in the dying minutes of the injury time which saw Prieto, the goalkeeper, direct a pass all through the field down to Jaume Castedo, who ably went past opposing keeper Graham and netted the ball, literally while the referee was blowing the full time whistle.

The bottom line is that Cuba are in the Thrid Phase, and that Castedo really deserves a new club.

Dominica: Graham (MoM) – Mitchell, Price, Roone, Crosby – Muldowney, Braithwhaite, Matthews (sub. White), Martin (sub. Rideout) – Rose, Smith (sub. Spooner)

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Vasco (sub. Emilio), Thiano, Natalio – Aragon (cub. Perez) – Martinez, Ibon, Draco (sub. Galindo) – Delgado, Castedo

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mexico and Cuba Close Group 1 Doubts; Jamaica Also Through

Half the teams which will partake in the final qualifying round of the CONCACAF section became known this afternoon, as Matchday 5 was completed. Full results follow:

GROUP 1

Dominica 1 – 2 Cuba

Surinam 0 – 2 Mexico

[MEX 15pts; CUB 10pts; DMA 3pts; SUR 1pt]

GROUP 2

Jamaica 1 – 1 Panama

United States 3 – 1 US Virgin Islands

[JAM 13pts; USA 6pts; PAN 4pts; VIR 2pts]

GROUP 3

Costa Rica 3 – 2 Canada

Trinidad & Tobago 1 – 2 Guatemala

[CAN, CRC 9pts; TRI, GUA 6pts]

www.FIFA.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba To Breathe Down Mexico’s Neck

Mamo has picked up the squad to meet Mexico in a little more than two weeks’ time, basing his side largely on previously unused, foreign-based players. The message seems to be that Mamo is trying to breed a generation of players, who will be able to play as a unit later on in time, when the Cuba aspirations will be slightly higher than they are today. Surprisingly, one player did not accept Cuba’s call, saying that Mamo should look elsewhere for backup players, and that he’d only be part of the National Side if he is guaranteed first team football. The player, Aragon, had been an integral part of the squad until that moment, playing in almost all matches since Mamo took charge. When asked about Aragon, Mamo answered briefly, but to the point, “Aragon featured in my plans, but has refused to play for Cuba. I’m willing to close one eye over this, but to earn a callup, [Aragon] must analogize to me as his Manager and to the rest of the boys as his teammates.†One feels that fans will be more likely to back Mamo than Aragon. The full squad features also some of the ‘old boys’, including the now contracted Draco and Castedo.

Goalkeepers: Fabian Prieto (CSKA Moscow), Felix de Consuelo (ADO Den Haag)

Defence: Felix Campagnar (Kärnten), Pepito Vasco (Vác), Diego Ordaz (Monterrey), Carlos Thiano (Brǿndby), Gil Natalio (Lokomotiv Moscow), Pepe Inigo (Bregenz), Jeniel Marquez (Villa Clara)

Midfield: Pedro Ibon (Valencia), Fidel Sanctos (HSV), Christian Draco (Inter), Che Forano (WIT-Georgia), Julio (Ciudad Habana), Rey Martinez (Colorado), Marcos Donde (unattached), Lourenco Abadavilla (Kobenhavn), Raudel Rodriguez (Piñar del Rio)

Forwards: Alberto Delgado (Colorado), Jaume Castedo (Le Mans), Pedro Adriani Faife (Villa Clara), Maikel Galindo (Villa Clara)

Damian Currás

Havana Sports Weekly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Cuba vs Mexico

Second Phase, Matchday 6

Juan Abrantes (Havana)

An unsurprisingly demotivated Mexico side was yesterday evening duly rounded by a Cuba side which showed a good dose of enthusiasm and will to do better than in recent times.

The Mexicans were the first to try a few shots on goal, through Ramoncito Morales namely, but also through Peralta and Rubirosa. After a few minutes, though, Cuba took firm grasp of the game and dictated the flow as they wished, with Abadavilla, who was replacing the injured Isidoro showing all qualities which earned him European football. Midway through the first half, the previously unexpected (but then justified) Cuban goal came, through Faife, who capped off a great move on his debut. Needless to say, Jaume Castedo was the brains behind it.

In the second half, Cuba calmed down a little, and Mexico could once again regain some degree of control over midfield. Twenty minutes before the end, Rafael Marquez rewarded the Greens’ efforts, scoring the equalizer, which came from a Medina corner.

The final result of 1-1 though won Cuba much honour… more than three points could have ever won them. And now, it’s the Third Phase.

Cuba: Prieto – Inigo, Vasco, Ordaz (MoM), Campagnar – Ibon (sub. Sanctos) – Draco, Martinez (sub. Donde), Abadavilla – Castedo, Faife

Mexico: Sanchez – Castro, Lozano, Marquez, Davino – Morales (sub. Calvo), Santana (sub. Medina), Torrado, Fernandez – Peralta, Rubirosa (sub. Galindo)

Javi Castro

Ciego de Avila Gazette

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Post-Match Press Conference

Juan Abrantes (Havana)

Present to answer the media’s questions: Fabian Prieto, Pedro Adriani Faife and Christian Draco.

Q: Congratulations! I am Javi Castro, from the Ciego de Avila Gazette. Mr. Faife, I can only think you weren’t expecting the goal at all, let alone any points.

A: [Faife] Of course not! It was my debut, as you all know, and I thought that maybe this was just a test match for me, that I wouldn’t even play today. But still I was there, first eleven, and managed to score, thanks to a wonderfully supportive team which made me feel ‘at home’ from the very first minute.

Q: Mr. Draco, this is www.cuba.cjb.net. Good performance, discrete passes. Was finding a club to play for the turning point in your career?

A: [Draco] I have been at Inter for just a couple of weeks now, so despite being there, I can’t really say I’m the indispensable guy I’d love to become. There’s still a lot of work to be done, especially considering the caliber of my club. It was a good performance because I think the Manager has found me my best position on the field.

Q: Which is?

A: [Draco] I like to play in midfield, not necessarily as playmaker, but definitely without too many defensive responsibilities. As you have all seen, I do get into our own box to get the ball out when needed, but I prefer running a bit forward and getting the ball though to Castedo and whoever is up there with him. Thank God there was Pedro [Faife] today.

Q: Good evening, Mr. Prieto. This Cuba side has come a long way…

A: [Prieto] But there’s a long way still to go. The next six matches will all be like our last. If we manage to do well at home, and maybe upset someone away, I see us in one of the middle two positions. Direct or indirect qualification, that is…

Q: That is a very impegnative statement, Mr. Prieto.

A: I know, but I’m the keeper![laughs]

Q: But do you think you stand any real chance without key players, which regularly go exchanged by Manager Mamo? Injuries permitting, the only real ‘standard guys’ are you, Mr. Prieto, Mr. Draco and Mr. Castedo.

A: You know, I think it’s a tactic, a way of booting us whenever we need it. And keep in mind that with all arguable arguments you may bring up, we are in the third phase, and hey, we got a point against Mexico. When we get knocked out, fucillate us, but give us a chance.

Q: Mr.Draco, a comment about Aragon’s recent comments to the media?

A: I wouldn’t like to step into other people’s boots, but Aragon saying that he won’t apologise and that he’d refuse playing for Cuba doesn’t worry me at all. Without him, we’re still kicking and I think we’ve got adequate cover in his department.

Moderator: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I’m afraid the time for today has gone bye. Good Luck to all the Cuba team, and regards to all journalists and reporters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> United States Where They Belong

A funnily unexpected USA victory handed the Stars&Stripes their rightful place among the last six in the Third Phase last night, as all six nations became known. In addition to the nations already qualified (Mexico, Cuba and Jamaica), and the United States, the other two countries to make it through were the solid Canadian side and Trinidad & Tobago, who ousted Costa Rica on goal difference. Full results follow:

GROUP 1

Cuba 1 – 1 Mexico

Surinam 2 – 2 Dominica

[MEX 16pts; CUB 11pts; DMA 4pts; SUR 2pt]

GROUP 2

United States 3 – 0 Jamaica

Panama 2 – 0 US Virgin Islands

[JAM 13pts; USA 9pts; PAN 7pts; VIR 2pts]

GROUP 3

Canada 3 – 2 Guatemala

Trinidad & Tobago 2 – 1 Costa Rica

[CAN 12pts; TRI, CRC 9pts; GUA 6pts]