The Amateur tackle, The Love of my Life & the Spanish Adventure

Welwyn

*Phone rings*

CN: "Mr Moore, it's Cherry, from the club. I've got Bill on the line, he wants a word with you.

ME: "Fine, put him on."

(Jezus, I'm shaking, all my dreams down to this moment)

BT: "Hi Mr Moore, we've finished our deliberations & we believe that you are the right man for the job. As long as you still want it, we will finalise details with Levante over the agreed compensation fee over the next week."

ME: "Well...er...yes Mr Tomlins, excellent, of course I still want the job."

BT: "Right, I presume you have things to sort out in Spain. So fly out to Spain & we'll ring you when we're sorted."

----

----

----

Things to sort out in Spain, oh god yes, what am I going to do about Abbey?

---------

---------

I took her to the paseos, through the hillside, beautiful. We walked for miles and miles until the sunset when it becomes one of the most beautifully romantic places in the world. It was the best night of my life since Laura had died. Then I had to go & spoilt it all, as Sinatra would say, didn't I:

Me: "Abbey, I wasn't planning this, but it feels so right now. I'm off to England & I want you with me. I know it's sounds rushed, stupid, outlandish & so many other things besides but it just feels right...

...Abbey, will you marry me?"

Abbey: "jez Steve, what's brought this on?"

Me: "Well...er...it just felt right."

Abbey: "No Steve, I can't it's too quick"

Me (begging): "Please Abs."

Abbey: " I'm not standing for your begging...I'm off!"

Me (begging): "But, Please Abbey, it's my last chance."

Abbey: "What does that mean?!"

Me (begging): "I dunno, it just feels like it!"

*Abbey storms off*

September 10th 2008

(In the car on the way to my first day at Luton)

Back, brilliant to be back too...

...This is what it's all about! Kenny Road, Luton... the dreams, the memories...

Let's turn on the Radio, see if they've got any idea it's me that's being unveiled at the Press Conference...

*SMMMMMAAAASSSSSHHHHHHHH*

Wake up, it's all blurry, I'm groggy...

...I can recognise that I'm in Hospital, I think. In which case I'm still alive at least.

*Doctor walks into cubicle*

DR: "Ah, Mr Moore your awake, that's great news. You've been in a coma. How are you? Do you understand me?"

ME: "Yes I understand you. I've been in a Coma!"

DR: "Yep, for quite a while as well, we couldn't understand it. All your tests seemed fine, you'd been in a huge car crash, yet you hadn't broken anything. If it wasn't for the fact you were in a Coma, you'd be a miracle case. How are you feeling?"

ME: "A bit groggy, as you would expect. Everything seems to be working though. Hasn't fixed my Hemiplegia though *laughs*. So if I've been in a Coma, what's the date?"

DR: "Well, glad that it seems o.k. It's 12th May..."

ME: "What year?"

DR: "2005."

ME: "You what!!!!!!!! I had the crash in September 2008!"

DR: "Well, you're obviously a little banged up."

ME: "No, I'm fine, but it ain't 2005, I can tell you that!"

I went to get a newspaper a couple of days later. By which time, apart from the fact I had been told I had gone back in time, I was feeling much better.

I didn’t feel like that when I saw the darn newspaper, it was true, there in black & white:

15th May 2005

“What the heck!â€

*everyone stares at me*

O.K. that was a bit loud.

It got worse though when I saw the back page lead.

LINEKER JOINS SPURS

What the heck is going on, Lineker must be about 45-50! I read on, it got worse, Gazza

playing for Spurs. What’s going on here?

I turned the page. Some Luton news in a national paper! icon_eek.gif What’s worse it was announcing that Lars Elstrup had just signed for ‘First Division’ Luton for a record fee. On the plus side, it seems in this strange world that I may have the job at Luton. This is cause the story went on to say that they were not sure whether I had any say in the new signing & whether I would still be the new manager despite only just coming out of a coma.

Elstrup, went from Odense to Luton in the Summer of 1989, so what’s this happening in the Summer of 2005, if indeed it is the Summer of 2005

Over the next couple of days things became about as clear as they could be. Basically, I’m stuck in some sort of parallel Universe where the world is in 2005 but the football players are from 1989. Basically, if I do end up at Luton I’m going to be managing their 1989/90 squad into the season of 2005/06, with 4 Champions League places, ourselves, Palace, Millwall and Wimbledon in the top flight.

*Bill Tomlins enters the hospital ward*

Flipping heck this is getting weirder.

BT: “Hi Steve, I hear you are going to be out of hospital in a couple of days. I’m hear to reoffer you the Luton job from July 10th.â€

ME: “Well, yeah sure, if I’m out.â€

(Jezus, I’m gonna have to work out what is going on.)

Well, it appears I’m right; I’m in a world of 1989 football, trapped in 2005. I’m not even sure I care that I’m in this strange new world. I’m manager of Luton, in the top flight.

They’re all there:

Les Sealey, David Preece, Darren McDonough, Roy Wegerle & the strangest sight of all, considering he was my assistant manager in the old/real, whatever world that was to this, Mick Harford!

There’s a young Iain Dowie, a young Marvin Johnson. When I looked at the academy lads there was the unmistakable sight of a mop of childish ginger hair that is a 14-year old John Hartson.

I went into see Tomlins. He gave me a £400k transfer budget with a wage budget of £80k a week. What that means in this world I dunno.

Thanks Spav...hoping it works

------------------------------------

I suppose, first things first, I’d better go through my squads in this place:

First Team:

Alec Chamberlain GK (25 y.o.) - In 1989/90, he had just come in having spent a few seasons as Neville Southall’s understudy at Everton. He had a breakthrough season this/that season as Les Sealey’s replacement. He went on to play for the scummy Watford with distinction for goodness knows how many years.

Les Sealey GK (31) – In 89/90, he actually left to join Man Utd. But I’m well happy to still have him here, whatever’s going on. A Hatters legend that I want to keep at all costs. In real/whatever life I was in before, he is now unfortunately not with us. It’s strange working with someone you thought was dead.

-

Tim Breaker DR (24) – By 1989/90, he had established himself well & truly in the Luton 1st team. Invented the idea of the attacking fullback. Has a ferocious long shot on him. Went on to play for West Ham, now a coach.

John Dreyer DLC (26) – In 89/90, had just broken into the Luton squad as a left back or centre-half. Very decent player. Went on to play for us right through until the mid 1990’s. When a net was put up to catch the balls that went over the executive boxes at Kenilworth Road it was called the ‘Dreyer net’ in honour of the regularity he put the ball over them & into the neighbouring gardens.

Dave Beaumont DC (25) – In 89/90, was in & out of the team at centre-half, never amounted to much more as a player.

Graham Rodger DC (22) – 89/90, just signed from Coventry City. Ended up in & out of the team. Went on to play for Crystal Palace for several years before slipping down the leagues.

Julian James DC, DM (19) – In 89/90, came through the youth team & ended up being a nigh on ever present Hatter until the mid 90’s when an awful tackle from Bristol Rovers ended his career in a similar way to mine.

Richard Harvey D/ML (20) – 89/90 became a breakthrough season for Harvey who was a first-team regular by the end of the season. Ended up playing through Luton through the drop down the leagues before bobbing up & down the lower levels of the game.

-

David Preece DM (26) – By 89/90, Preece was already a hero in Luton eyes for his brilliant on the ball ability. ‘Mini’ as he was know went on to play for Luton throughout the early 90’s before playing for 3 or 4 clubs in his later years before retirement. Another one who had died in tragic circumstances in the world I used to inhibit.

Danny Wilson DM (29) – By 89/90, was captain of the Hatters. The Ulsterman had by this time played 24 games for his country. Went on to manage Barnsley & Sheff Wed. in Premiership campaigns as well as Bristol City.

Mick Kennedy MRC (28) – In 89/90, had just been bought in from Division 2 Leicester to add a bit of the hard man element into the very much ball playing midfield. Continued to play the hard man for the rest of his career.

Darren McDonough MR (26) – By 1989/90, had been a regular 12th man for Luton for years & was a terrific player. Went on to spend the majority of the rest of his career north of the border.

Steve Williams MRC (31) – By 89/90, his career had peaked & the experienced ball-playing midfielder was about to clamber down the leagues for the rest of his career.

Kingsley Black AML (21) – 89/90 was Kingsley’s best year as a professional. Despite his youth, the orthodox winger practically kept Luton on his own being top scorer, top assist maker. Best player by a mile. Then went to Nottm. Forest for a shed load of money and his career went down the tubes quicker than Forest’s. He never fulfilled his potential & ended up playing for the likes of Grimsby Town.

-

Roy Wegerle AM/FC (25) – By 89/90, Wegerle had been around a bit. The South African born American had gone to the states to make his name before being brought to England. Was sold to QPR during the season & went on to play for themselves into the Premiership era. Played for the U.S.A. in the ’94 World Cup before quitting to try & become a pro-golfer. Now a major player on the golfing seniors tour.

Iain Dowie SC (24) – In 89/90, he started off on loan to Fulham before coming back to become the second highest scorer of the season getting on the end of most of Black’s assists. Went on to play for several Premiership clubs & became a very successful manager. Has a degree in astrophysics in both this world & the previous one. (Rocket Science to you & me)

Lars Elstrup SC (26) – As in this world before 05/06 he was signed before 89/90 as a record fee of £650k from Odense. Never really cut in England, went back to Denmark before going well off the rails joining weird cult & such.

GOD oh sorry, Mick Harford SC (30) – By 89/90, was already a Luton legend. The greatest target man of his generation for who it was a travesty to get only 2 England caps & the person Vinnie Jones called ‘The hardest bloke I’ve ever played against’. Was sold to Derby halfway through 89/90, went on to become even more of a legend the following season when he scored a deliberate own goal on the final day at Kenny Road to keep Luton up. Had a successful end to his career before joining my Levante revolution as my assistant.

You may notice that I’m talking about them purely as they were in the world I’ve arrived from. That’s all I have to go on! Thank goodness for my memory & the Season review of our 89/90 season!

They may be totally different in this world, I don’t know.

Notable Reserves:

Andy Petterson GK (19) – Went on to have a good lower league career.

Matt Jackson DRC (17) – Went on to have a very good career in the lower leagues. Captain of the Wigan side that won promotion to the Premiership.

Marvin Johnson DC (20) – Broke through into the 1st team squad at the end of 89/90 spent all of his time going down the leagues with Luton until retiring after the hatters won promotion from Division 3 in 2001/2002.

Paul Telfer D/WB/M R (17) – Went on to play for Luton in the ’94 Cup Semi before having a successful Premiership career with Coventry & Southampton, also played for Celtic.

Mark Pembridge DM, MLC (18) – Went on to have a great career with Leeds & Fulham in the Premiership, Wales regular.

Jason Rees MC (19) – Broke through into the 1st team at the back end of 89/90. Played brilliantly for the next 2 seasons then became awful.

Paul Gray SC (19) – Played a couple of games in 89/90 & 90/91, scored a couple of goals but didn’t have much of a career.

Other Ressies:

Neil Poutch DC (19)

Gary Cobb MR (20)

Ian Scott AMC (20)

Notable Academy players:

Jamie Campbell DL (16) - Went on to have a decent career with Bristol Rovers

Ceri Hughes MLC (18) – Very skillful player who went on to break into the 1st team before getting a big money move to Wimbledon that didn’t work out.

Tim Allpress DRC (18)

Ken Gillard DL (17)

However, this is a weird world, I don’t understand what I’m doing here. Why I’m here, surely all these players won’t end up having similar careers will they?

1st day & already an injury. Paul Telfer twists his ankle & is out for a month. I also got a loan offer for Petterson from Cardiff but I want to see everybody 1st. I don’t know what any of these players are like.

Then I arranged a tour to Italy, for the shear reason that I wanted to see if this weird thing is happening worldwide. On top of that I invited Milan, Napoli & Real Madrid for a Cup at Kenny Road. For exactly the same reason.

But First, Port Vale away.

It was a decent warm up with an Iain Dowie 1-0 win. As was Doncaster, Dowie, Harford & Elstrup bagging the goals.

By the time of the Swansea game, (3-0, Wegerle, Wilson & for some reason Mick Kennedy wanted the penalty [Well I wasn’t going to argue with him!]) I was getting a feel for the players, life & basically being in this world.

I even started to look for transfers. Trying to nick two players from Leicester who had great careers in the Luton shirt. Tony Thorpe & Scott Oakes (who’s hat-trick against West Ham in the ’94 Cup Quarter-Final was amazing). They both turned me down.

As well as that, I’d approached Notts. County over a young defender called Craig Short. It’s fair to say I was adjusting to this life.

Then came the trip to Italy!

Walking into the San Siro to see a younger Giovanni Trapattoni, a much younger Giovanni Trapattoni!

Then I saw the Inter team:

Andreas Brehme, Lothar Matthaus & icon_eek.gif Jurgen Klinsman!

If that doesn’t throw you, nothing will.

To be fair, as we expected, they played us off the park but it was a privilege to see Alessandro D’Angelo score the 30-yard bender he scored. Then with 11 minutes left, 3-0 down. A goalmouth scramble & Big Mick turns it home! A GOAL, A goal in the San Siro!

Then came Dino Zoff’s Juve! With Schillaci & Rijkaard & co.! But none of that matters if Mini Preece scores a free-kick special in the 4th minute, well, until we are 4-1 down with 4 minutes left! Although at that point, Kingsley Black repeated Preece’s trick.

Then Julian James had to go home with Shin Splints & Notts. County said not even £400k would get me Craig Short.

Then we lost 2-1 in Florence to complete the Italian tour. We would’ve won through skipper Danny Wilson’s opener too, if it hadn’t been for a 22-year old Fiorentina striker called Roberto Baggio.

It’d be fair to say I was enjoying life in this world. Yes I was still dazed & confused but I’m managing Luton against the best sides in the world.

What’s more, I’ve got them to play a friendly tournament at KENILWORTH ROAD! Culture shock for them I’m sure.

More of a culture shock was watching Diego Armando Maradona run the show in Napoli’s 2-0 win over Real Madrid. Followed by sending the likes of John Dreyer, Graham Rodger & Dave Beaumont out against a Milan side with: Paulo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Marco Van Basten & Ruud Gullit!

Oh, I forgot Roberto Donadoni who scored their 1st after 10 minutes. Final score 3-0 (Gullit & Van Basten), with Dowie bruising his ribs & putting himself out for 2 weeks!

Then finally, a win! Against Real Madrid! 2-1…Although, I’m not sure the Spaniard’s had ever played a striker quite like Mick Harford who murdered them, scored the opener & was generally brilliant. Then Hugo Sanchez proved why in the other world he was one of the best strikers in his generation. But, with 8 minutes left, out of nowhere popped little Jason Rees in the box & we’d beaten REAL ******* MADRID!

Archived