How to deal with a lone striker?

I wanted to know how to deal with an oppositions lone striker. Defending is not my specialty on this game and was hoping for a few tips.

I usually have both centrebacks man marking, should I leave this when playing against one striker? Who would the centre back not marking the striker mark? Shall I mark zonally instead, or even just have one centreback man marking specifically and one zonally?

If it is a counter attacking tactic lyou could cut off the supply to him (like close down/mark the wingers in a defensive 4-5-1) and play with a high d line. If playing against an opponent who plays possessionfotball a more disciplined approach with a man marker on him should do the trick. Just a few general tips.

I'm not a fan of man marking, zonal marking all-round is my preference, although man marking did work for Greece in euro.... Stopping supply to the lone striker is the answer your looking for, is he a tall player? Then have your full backs drop back and stop the crosses, or is he a fast striker? Close down the midfield, press all over the pitch, have a high d-line, offside trap. Or basically get good defenders. :) And remember, that every attack begins with defense.

Archived