1 wingback, 1 winger

I have an interesting formation:

2010wolves.th.jpg

I have always played 1 striker on FM, as I felt it offered more fluidity and security than most 2 striker formations. However, I was getting bored with my usual formations, so tried to create a 2 striker formation which offered the same benefits of 1 striker.

Important attributes needed- a winger who can score goals, a wingback with the physical attributes to get up and down the flank and an attacking midfielder with decent creativity.

Obviously, the formation can be mirrored.

Against decent teams, I set my left sided striker to man mark the opposition right back to allow a little bit more cover down that flank, and have my winger man mark the left back.This turns me into a 4-5-1 when defending, but with players to spring forward on the counter attack

I have used it mainly with Wolves, and I am currently on a 100+ match unbeaten run in the League (admittedly I was already the best team in the country when I started using it). I've also tried it with Liverpool, Real Madrid and Hibs (all in new games), my results are below:

2010hibs.th.jpg 2010liverpool.th.jpg 2010madrid.th.jpg

As you can see, it scores a fair few goals

I would like to try it with lower League teams, but I'm enjoying my Wolves file too much. I'd be interested to know what other people make of it

http://rapidshare.com/files/409763792/3-2-1-2-2_Pen15__Wolves__Nov_2022_.tac.html

Who is the playmaker?tank's...

Depends. Against better teams the CM plays a more defensive role, so the AM picks up that role. Against teams I expect to beat, the CM has more creativity, so he is

Interesting, I'm using almost the mirror image of that with Brazil atm, and its nice to see another wolves save! The main difference is my defensive midfield player is alongside the CM but with a defensive mentality to cover the wing-back. This works well but the drawback is that my full-back on the other side is a bit exposed.

The reason I was reluctant to bring him back to where you play him was that I wanted him to cover the wing-back primarily - do you find he still does this adequately when playing in the absolute centre?

Thanks

Heh, nice to see this, as I'm also using a similar system at times. I've got my winger in the wide midfield position (with winger/attack settings), and the MC is on the wing back's side, but otherwise it's pretty similar.

DLF(S)  Adv. Fwd(A)

AM(S)

Wng(A)        DLP(S)

DM(D)     WB(Au)

FB(Au) BPD(Cv) LimD(St)

There's a few tweaks to the setting (DLF has RFD often for example), but they're mostly on the TC defaults.

Basically, it started with a narrow diamond 4-4-2, but I wanted to get a bit more width, and had a promising young left winger who deserved a few games, so I tried this, and so far it's been promising. The interplay between the Winger, AMC and DLF in particular is looking good.

Interesting, I'm using almost the mirror image of that with Brazil atm, and its nice to see another wolves save! The main difference is my defensive midfield player is alongside the CM but with a defensive mentality to cover the wing-back. This works well but the drawback is that my full-back on the other side is a bit exposed.

The reason I was reluctant to bring him back to where you play him was that I wanted him to cover the wing-back primarily - do you find he still does this adequately when playing in the absolute centre?

Thanks

I did try having my DM playing as a CM initially, but I found he covered a lot better when playing as DM. Because I have him on quite a defensive setting, if my WB gets caught forward, my DM almost drops into a CB position, with my left CB pushing outwide to engage the winger. The main problem I have is when my WB is caught in a 2 on 1 situation, with the opposing fullback, but both my AM and left sided striker have good mental stats, and generally know to track the opposition rb

Archived