Managing My Way To Success In European Football

RomaRulez

Wolfsburg Bounce Back With 2-0 Win Over Numberg

August 29, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena

Wolfsburg 2-0 Numberg

Riquelme (pen 8'), Dzeko (89')

Wolfsburg put in an inspired performance showing that last week's loss to Bayern Munich wasn't an indication of things to come. Juan Roman Riquelme scored on a penalty kick after former Wolfsburg midfielder Tomas Weiss fouled Riquelme in the box. Edin Dzeko added an insurance goal as stoppage time neared and Wolfsburg came away with a well earned win. With the win Wolfsburg also gain a little revenge over Numberg, who had earned a win and a draw against the Wolves last season.

The win gives Wolfsburg 7 points in the Bundesliga, good for 6th in the table just 3 points out of 1st. Next up for Wolfsburg is a trip to AWD Arena to take on Hannover.

Guilherme Moves On

August 31, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena

As the summer transfer window was just hours away from closing Wolfsburg reached a deal to send unruly defender Guilherme to Hamburger SV for a reported 5.75M Euros. The deal nets Wolfsburg more then 2M Euros profit as it was reported they had paid just over 3.6M Euros last season to acquire Guilherme from Spanish side Almeria. "He's a good kid and hopefully he'll find he can settle into his new team better then he did here" said Wolfsburg manager Paolo. Guilherme played in 10 matches for Wolfsburg last season but hadn't seen any action this year as he'd been on leave due to his outbursts and insubordination.

Hannover Gets One Over Wolfsburg

September 15, 2010 - AWD Arena, Hannover

Hannover 1-0 Wolfsburg

Schlaudraff (86')

Wolfsburg did everything they needed to do on the score sheet but put the ball in the net. The Wolves dominated possession, had crisper passing, had more shots, and generally did whatever they wanted on the pitch. However 5 of Wolfsburg's shots found the posts or crossbar and in the end their lack of finishing cost them 3 points. Hannover's Jan Schlaudraff got the winning goal at the 86th minute and with the loss Wolfsburg sink to 10th in the Bundesliga table. Wolfsburg manager Paolo said "It's back to the drawing board. We played really well but couldn't take advantage of our dominance. It looks like we have to tweak our tactics a bit so we can get better chances on goal."

Next up for Wolfsburg is newly promoted Augsburg at Volkswagen Arena, a match the Wolves should win. Augsburg are still looking for their first win and they've already given up 13 goals in 5 matches.

Wolfsburg Pick Up Easy Win

September 18, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg 2-0 Augsburg

Dzeko (1'), Grafite (65')

Edin Dzeko's header off a set piece in the first minute put Wolfsburg ahead and they cruised to an easy win over Augsburg. Grafite added an insurance goal at the 65th minute beating 2 defenders before scorching the ball past the goalkeeper. Augsburg never really mounted a threat as they only managed 3 shots for the game. They continue to search for their first Bundesliga win.

Wolfsburg move up to 8th in the table with 10 points, 4 points out of the league lead currently held by Frankfurt. Wolfsburg next take on Union Berlin in the 2nd round of the German Cup before traveling to Schalke next weekend.

Wolfsburg Roll Into German Cup 3rd Round

September 22, 2010 - Stadion An Der Alton Forsterei, Berlin

Union Berlin 1-4 Wolfsburg

Stajic (41') - Dzeko (3'), Riquelme (pen 9', pen 90+2'), Misimovic (36')

Edin Dzeko continued his penchant for scoring early goals to get Wolfsburg off to an early lead and Juan Roman Riquelme scored 2 penalty kicks as Wolfsburg rolled over Union Berlin to advance to the third round of the German Cup. Zvejdan Misimovic added his first goal of the season to give Wolfsburg a 3 goal lead in the first half.

Wolfsburg now resume their Bundesliga season with a visit to Veltins Arena to take on 2nd place Schalke.

Looks like you're doing fairly well, Gollum. Just one piece of advice for you -- you might want to think about combining your posts when you post two and three times in a day. Some readers like to know that when they click on your link they are getting your latest work. When you post two or three times in a day, they have to hunt for it.

Your match writing is solid and you're doing a nice job keeping us updated and interested. Keep it up!

Thanks, I'll try to combine some of my posts. Sometimes I don't really know how many matches I'm going to play and when I do have to stop I don't usually have a lot of time left to write, which is why I have been doing it this way. But maybe if I write as I play each match then just post at the end that might work better.

Recap - September 22, 2010 thru October 16, 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfsburg No Match For Schalke

September 25, 2010 - Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen

Schalke 3-1 Wolfsburg

Torrejan (19'), Kuranyi (57', 79') - Dzeko (24')

The match between Schalke and Wolfsburg is an optical illusion. It was not as close as the scoreline makes it appear. Schalke dominated play from start to finish and picked up an easy win over Wolfsburg. "You can't score if you don't have the ball. They control the ball, the tempo, and the flow of the game and our guys were never really in it" said Wolfsburg manager Paolo.

But the biggest blow for Wolfsburg was the second major injury suffered by the team in 2 games. Attacking midfielder Zvjezdan Misimovic was lost until next spring with a broken foot. In Wolfsburg's previous match midfielder Tim Borowski went down with a dislocated shoulder and is expected to miss 3 months. "Both are serious injuries to key players and it'll be tough for us to achieve our goals without them, but other guys will have to step it up" said Paolo.

With the loss Wolfsburg remain in 8th in the Bundesliga table with 10 points. Next up is a home game against Koln. Wolves fans expect a little revenge against Koln who beat Wolfsburg 6-0 to end their season last year when the Wolves were playing mostly backups and youth players.

Wolfsburg Manages To Exact Some Revenge

October 3, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg 3-1 Koln

Fernandez (own goal, 2'), Cardozo (10'), Dzeko (21') - Podolski (25')

Wolfsburg stormed out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Oscar Cardozo an Edin Dzeko, plus an own goal by Koln keeper Rowen Fernandez, then cruised to an impressive 3-1 win over Koln. When asked if the final game of last season, a 6-0 beating by Koln factored into today's game Wolfsburg manager Paolo said "It certainly added some incentive. We were determined to show our fans that game wasn't indicative of the kind of play they should expect to see from us."

The win catapults Wolfsburg up to 6th in the Bundesliga table with 13 points, 7 points behind league leaders Frankfurt. The Wolves next take on recently promoted Kaiserslauten at Fritz Walter Stadion.

In other news the third round draw for the German Cup was announced today. Wolfsburg will take on fellow Bundesliga side Gladbach on October 26th at Volkswagen Arena. Last season Gladbach got a win and a draw against Wolfsburg.

Wolfsburg Ease Past Kaiserslautern 2-0

October 16, 2010 - Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern

Kaiserslautern 0-2 Wolfsburg

Fleck (8'), Cardozo (30')

John Fleck and Oscar Cardozo scored early goals in the first half which enabled Wolfsburg to record a well earned win at Kaiserslautern. It was an entertaining match from start to finish with both sides seeing plenty of chances but Wolfsburg keeper Sergio Romero made a few key says to keep a clean sheet.

With the win Wolfsburg move into 3rd place in the Bundesliga table. They next take on Hertha BSC at Volkswagen Arena.

Hope this is an easier format to follow.

Recap - October 16, 2010 to November 6, 2010

Wolfsburg Drub Hertha BSC

October 23, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg 3-1 Hertha BSC

Cardozo (9', 40'), Ziani (69') - Niemeyer (83')

Oscar Cardozo scored 2 goals in the first half and Karim Ziani added a third as Wolfsburg cruised to an easy win over Hertha BSC to remain 3rd in the Bundesliga table. Peter Niemeyer scored for Hertha to ruin Diego Benaglio's clean sheet. "This is what we were missing last year" said Wolfsburg manager Paolo, "when one guy cools off we needed another to get hot. This year it looks like Cardozo & Dzeko are taking turns scoring goals. That's the main reason for our success right now."

Gladbach No Match For Wolfsburg. Wolves Into German Cup Quarterfinals

October 26, 2010 - Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg 2-0 Gladbach

Cardozo (81', 88')

In a match that saw Wolfsburg dominate despite an even 0-0 scoreline most of the match Oscar Cardozo finally put Gladbach away scoring 2 goals in the final 10 minutes. With the win Wolfsburg move into the German Cup quarterfinals. The draw for the next round will take place on January 30, 2011.

Werder Bremen Hold Wolfsburg To A Draw

October 30, 2010 - Weserstadion, Bremen

Werder Bremen 0-0 Wolfsburg

Werder Bremen managed to be the first team in 6 weeks to keep Wolfsburg off the score sheet and held out for a well earned draw. Despite that Wolfsburg did extend it's unbeaten streak to 6 matches.

Paolo Looking To Leave Wolfsbug?

Various reports out of Italy are saying that Wolfsburg manager Paolo has informed Wolves management and the management of Serie A side AS Roma that he would be interested in taking over Roma's managerial position should it come open. Paolo refused public comment on the stories but given that he spent his entire playing career at Roma it certainly would be an attractive team to him.

Paolo has been at Wolfsburg for 11 months and has compiled a record of 21 wins, 12 losses, and 9 draws. This season he has Wolfsburg near the top of the Bundesliga table with 6 wins, 3 losses, and 2 draws, and has the team into the German Cup quarterfinals.

Roma has gotten off to a dismal start in the Serie A with a record of 1 win, 6 losses, and 4 draws. They currently sit 19th in the Serie A table after 11 rounds. The only bright spot to their season so far has been their performance in the UEFA Europa League. After being bounced out of the UEFA Champions League in the Best Placed Playoff round, losing to Russian side Lokomotiv Moscow, Roma then won their Europa League group and have advanced to the First Knockout Round.

There is no indication if Roma will be interested in Paolo's services or how Wolfburg will react to his reported ambitions to go back to Italy.

Ooooohhhhh ... forze Roma!

:D It doesn't look like they'll be interested in me though. They've "laughed off" interest in me, probably due to my relative lack of managerial experience. I'm trying to decide if it would be "proper" for a former "Roma player" to apply for jobs at other Serie A teams besides Roma, especially rivals of Roma? As a fan I'd say it would be a real crime. But I've always heard players and staff of teams here in the states say that the rivalries only matter to the fans. We've certainly seen many people play or work for both teams in a rivalry here in the USA. So I'm thinking I'll apply for any Serie A job that interests me, not just Roma.

Archived