A few minor things :

So I've finally started playing FM10 again, after leaving it for months due to not being able to get into it.

I've developed quite a decent tactic, and (yeah, I'm Arsenal, but still) - I've managed to lose just 3 games out of 22, winning 15 of them.

Here is the things that are bothering me :

Despite only having 1 player on long shots (Arshavin, he plays AML) - I still have anywhere between 5 and 15 long shots per game. The creative freedom for the midfielders is high, but surely that shouldn't mean they just shoot from range all day long. Is there any way I can further get the point across that I'd rather they passed, than shot from there?

Secondly, I score a lot of goals, but I also concede a LOT of goals. I play 4231 (CM / CM / AML / AMR / AMC / ST) - And have 1 defensive midfielder, 1 holding midfielder, then have the other 4 players attacking. The centerbacks and defensive CM are all on Ultra-D and the full backs aren't attacking, they're just supporting.

Lastly, I'm creating a lot of chances every game, but not so many CCC's. I've put the tempo low, so we don't rush into things, but some games I'm lucky if I create 1 CCC's, and funnily enough, it's the Long shots going in that's winning me games.

It's completely not how I want it to work :D

So in short, what are the first, most obvious things I can do, to change this?

Thanks for your help :p

It could be they don't have enough options and shooting is the only one they have. I'm having that same problem it letting goals in that formation. Putting one of the Mcs in the DM positiong does help but I prefer not to play them there.

Despite only having 1 player on long shots (Arshavin, he plays AML) - I still have anywhere between 5 and 15 long shots per game. The creative freedom for the midfielders is high, but surely that shouldn't mean they just shoot from range all day long. Is there any way I can further get the point across that I'd rather they passed, than shot from there?

Lastly, I'm creating a lot of chances every game, but not so many CCC's. I've put the tempo low, so we don't rush into things, but some games I'm lucky if I create 1 CCC's, and funnily enough, it's the Long shots going in that's winning me games.

So you are not creating CCC's but taking long shots. Think about it, it's because there are no players making RFD's and no one playing through balls to create CCC's and stop taking long shots. Your player will have the ball in the opponent's third but will be unable to do anything with it because he has no one to play passes to so inevitably he takes long shots because he has to or pass it backwards. Get players to make RFD's and creative players TTB often which will increase CCC's and decrease Long shots.

Secondly, I score a lot of goals, but I also concede a LOT of goals. I play 4231 (CM / CM / AML / AMR / AMC / ST) - And have 1 defensive midfielder, 1 holding midfielder, then have the other 4 players attacking. The centerbacks and defensive CM are all on Ultra-D and the full backs aren't attacking, they're just supporting.

Just because technically you have 6 defenders and 4 attackers doesn't mean you are defensively sound. Your players may be lacking the reauired attributes so check the sticky by Cleon on what does what. Also, consider:

Closing Down - Too high will see your players out of position and too low means they can get to the edge of your box without a challenge and can play through balls into the channels and score from there.

Tackling - High will see your players dive into tackles but it's risk v reward so only give hard to players with good tackling and awesome mentals.

Marking - Any football fan knows how this works so I don't think it needs explaining :).

Just some ideas. :)

So I've finally started playing FM10 again, after leaving it for months due to not being able to get into it.

I've developed quite a decent tactic, and (yeah, I'm Arsenal, but still) - I've managed to lose just 3 games out of 22, winning 15 of them.

Here is the things that are bothering me :

It's completely not how I want it to work :D

So in short, what are the first, most obvious things I can do, to change this?

Thanks for your help :p

Just for reference, I've score 62 and conceded 32 goals in those 22 games.

It sounds like defensive shape might be your problem. It certainly doesn't sound like goalscoring is the problem even if the goals don't come about how you want them to.

In my opinion the defensive strength of a 4-2-3-1 comes about through employing the CM's + AMC as a narrow but solid "triangle" of midfielders sitting infront of the back four. This "triangle" deprives the opponent of the ability to play infront of the midfield and forces attacks into wide areas where they are generally less dangerous and where you can generally get players to close down and hunt the ball without giving up too much defensively key position.

The key issue here is getting your defensive midfielders and your AMC to form this triangle when defending. This generally requires DM/CM's that are on the same Mentality wavelength and an AMC that is likewise on a similar mentality wavelength. Because Mentality affects defensive positioning, too much of a mentality split between these three players will disrupt the shape. The shape is ultimately of paramount importance when defending as a 4-2-3-1. If there is too much difference in Mentality then players will start "thinking" that their job is to do something else.

So ideally you want a Mentality "flat" midfield or DM duo. And then an AMC with a Mentality that is low enough for him to drop into the system at the head of the "triangle". It doesn't have to be excessively deep, it just has to be close together. In this case depth is less important than difference.

The benefit of a low Mentality CM system is conservative play going forward, which ties into your concerns about "Holywood" play. And because you can use RFD to affect attacking shape, and because RFD encourages movement whereas Mentality does not, a deep AMC with RFD will both play conservatively at the same time as actively attempt to split defences and offer a good option for passes going forward.

So ultimately I would say that you might want to think about developing your attacking shape from your defensive shape and not the other way around. You score a lot of goals and concede a lot of goals so you are probably looking for a sound defensive shape that can attack well instead of a quality attacking shape that can defend okay.

Really impresive stuff guys, thanks. Only a short while since I implemented it all... but :

Arsenal 4 - 0 Aston Villa (only 3 long shots, 6 CCC's, 17 shots in total)

Arsenal 2 - 1 Grondins Bordeaux (5 CCC's, 12 shots, 2 long shots, they had 1 shot, 1 goal.)

Arsenal 1 - 0 Man Utd (3 CCC's they had 0. 12 shots to their 9. 2 Long shots.)

Arsenal 3 - 0 Burnley (7 CCC's, 20 shots, 6 long shots, 4 were free kicks) - They had 3 shots.

So yeah, all in all, still scoring the goals, 3 clean sheets and 1 jammy goal. 2 massive wins in there v Man Utd and A. Villa.

Impressive stuff you tactic heads :D

Archived