[FM10] Billericay Town-If At First You Don't Succeed...

Alegeeter

billericaytownfc.png

History

The club was formed in 1880 making it the 11th oldest club in Essex and moved into the Romford & District League in 1890 - competing in this league until 1914. After the First World War, they entered the Mid-Essex League, where they remained until 1947. That year they joined the Southern Essex Combination, remaining there until 1966 when they became founder-members of the Essex Olympian League.

In more recent times, the 2005/2006 season saw Billericay narrowly missed out on the Ryman League play-offs, finishing 7th. A last day win would have been enough to secure a place for Billericay in the play-offs. Billericay also lost the Ryman League Cup Final 4-0 to Fisher Athletic at Grays.

2006/2007 saw town finish a creditable fourth place and up until the penultimate round of fixtures town where still in with a chance of winning the league. In the play off semi final town faced local rivals Chelmsford City FC. Things looked bleak for town when striker Rikki Burbridge was sent off minutes into the second half. With five minutes of the game left Chelmsford scored following an error from blues keeper Bily McMahon who up to that point had been immense. Seemingly down & out Town scored a goal with the last kick of the game through much touted youngster Chris Whelpdale. Extra time produced a stalemate so the match went all the way to penalties. With ex Canvey player Lee Boylan having his penalty marvellously saved by Billy McMahon and the win 5-3 on penalties was completed when club captain Jamie Dormer put away his penalty. Town then went on to play Bromley F.C. in the play off final. A goal put Bromley in the lead until a cross bounced perfectly for Lee Hodges to blast the ball into the back of the net. In the second half the score stayed the same with a nail biting last few minutes. The blues went out to play a poor half of football then came back on again in the second half of extra time rocking the game completely but still couldn't manage to get the ball into the back of the net. The referee blew to see Billericay lose on penalties 5-3.

On 10 November 2007 Billericay played on of the biggest games in the clubs history. Swansea, of League One, came to New Lodge in the first round proper of the FA Cup. Even though Swansea played a much depleted side, Billericay still gave the Swans a tough game. Wayne Semanshia put Billericay one goal up in the 26th minute, but the Spanish player Guillem Bauza brought the league side level shortly after half time. He then again was on the mark in the 83rd minute and dashed Billericay's hopes for a replay or a victory.

In the 2009/2010 season Billericay Town finally got promoted to the Blue Square South and decided a managerial change was needed and decided to hire Jake Thornhill.

Mostly Taken from Wikipedia

Manager Profile

We have a good wage budget for a club that has just come up. Therefore money isn't a problem when attracting good players. Our reputation isn't so good though and we're going to have to target the people who would like to come for the money rather than those who come for the reputation.

I was going to see if I could finish this challenge and move onto another challenge but it looks like I'll be doing this one till FM11 comes out. Wish me luck !

NOTE:The title of this thread signifies the disappearance of my old game and failure to complete the challenge

I'm looking forward to this one :) are you planning on taking Billericay to the top or moving around to various jobs before you get a 'dream' job?

I don't like moving to big clubs. No I'm here for the long run. In this save my virtual self will want to stay at the club as long as dafuge :D

I don't like moving to big clubs. No I'm here for the long run. In this save my virtual self will want to stay at the club as long as dafuge :D

Interesting :) I usually like to work my up, although I don't like bouncing around teams every year, I do like to make a name of myself at the clubs, every 5 year or so with a couple of promotions :D anyway should be a good read, good luck! :)

North-East of London, just South of Chelmsford :p

Maybe you should search for the thread title 'Where The Hell Is Billericay?" - if they survived the forum move(s) since their creation and use. :)

Edit: I've just tried the search myself. None of my three epics exist on the forum any more. :(

Maybe you should search for the thread title 'Where The Hell Is Billericay?" - if they survived the forum move(s) since their creation and use. :)

Edit: I've just tried the search myself. None of my three epics exist on the forum any more. :(

Yes, I couldn't work out if you were being sarcy, there was an in joke or you were actually asking a question, I went with the latter... But would you mind explaining the threads...? :p

Yes, I couldn't work out if you were being sarcy, there was an in joke or you were actually asking a question, I went with the latter... But would you mind explaining the threads...? :p

Well I don't blame you for not knowing after seeing your join date :D Under a week is not enough to know everything really :D Then again I've been here since last october.

Anyway on topic isn't it good to see how many players in my team have great morale !

Well I don't blame you for not knowing after seeing your join date :D Under a week is not enough to know everything really :D Then again I've been here since last october.

Anyway on topic isn't it good to see how many players in my team have great morale !

Yay! I have found someone else who doesn't use the new tatic creator, ah, I take my hat off to you :)

I'm not a loner! *He screams out sat in a big room with no-one around to hear it*

Is that Joe Flack any good? Because if he isn't, should you not consider releasing him as he may bring all the other squad memebers down, unless you already have considerd it...

Yay! I have found someone else who doesn't use the new tatic creator, ah, I take my hat off to you :)

I'm not a loner! *He screams out sat in a big room with no-one around to hear it*

Is that Joe Flack any good? Because if he isn't, should you not consider releasing him as he may bring all the other squad memebers down, unless you already have considerd it...

completely rubbish but it costs way more to release him than his wages so it will actually be better for the club financially to keep him. He's the only extremely bad player i've yet to get rid of

completely rubbish but it costs way more to release him than his wages so it will actually be better for the club financially to keep him. He's the only extremely bad player i've yet to get rid of

Oh the glorious thing called 'compensaition', well its not so glorious, its pants lets be honest. Until we get into the real world :p although, some of us may already be there, but not me, not yet at least...

Auto-save is your friend... ;)

I had a 10 rolling save and auto save both on. For some reason it didn't work. So when i had a power cut after about 3 quarters of saving it (only takes 10 seconds !!!) my game was completely corrupt. Luckily I was able to recover about a month of it so I can hopefully do better this time

My rolling save isn't working my save game has somehow got corrupt again and I don't know how but no rolling save ? I'm getting fed up now. This is something I'll have to sort out before i go any further.

EDIT: I've finally fixed it ! I was saving manually as well as automatically so it kept resetting the auto save. I've also found out that saving every day automatically is extremely fast and I don't even notice it !

I had three epic Billericay saves and was on my way with a fourth.

Back on 01/02 was my first. I holidayed for 20 seasons before joining newly promoted to the Conference (as that was as low as CM01/02 went) Billericay. In three spells as manager, I took them as high as 7th in the Premier League and won the FA Cup.

The second was on FM06 where I again took them from the Premier League having joined them when they sacked their manager in the Conference, who had brought them up from Conference South. I had two solid seasons in mid table with a highlight a 6-1 win at New Anfield where a regen scored a double hat-trick. This same regen was my first ever player in CM/FM to be capped by England under my managership. Sadly the next season started dreadfully and after getting just 1 point from the opening 11 games I was sacked.

I played with them again on FM07 and for the first time from Conference South. Again I got them to the Premier League but this time I bounced back and forth to and from the Championship, stopping when FM08 came out.

The last one was on FM09. After having a nondescript few seasons at various clubs, the opportunity to go to Billericay arrived. I went, took them up to the Championship and played the first game there in the new Billericay Stadium, beating Nottingham Forest 1-0. Then FM10 came along and the temptation to start from level 8 of the pyramid proved too great.

I do have two urges now though... one is again go to Billericay... the other is try to recreate 'The Miracle'.

Edit: There's a third... my local team Newcastle Town got promoted last season and now play in the Northern Premier League First Division South. :)

Wow. Was that 20-season start really back on CM01/02? Feels like it's not so long ago. I remember I tried something similar in one save, think it was when I was in Scotland or possibly N.Ireland - surely inspired by your save.

Have you got the updates stored somewhere btw? Think I saved some updates when the forum last changed. Hopefully I still have them somewhere.

Back on 01/02 was my first. I holidayed for 20 seasons before joining newly promoted to the Conference (as that was as low as CM01/02 went) Billericay. In three spells as manager, I took them as high as 7th in the Premier League and won the FA Cup.

The second was on FM06 where I again took them from the Premier League having joined them when they sacked their manager in the Conference, who had brought them up from Conference South. I had two solid seasons in mid table with a highlight a 6-1 at New Anfield where a regen scored a double hat-trick. This same regen was my first ever player in CM/FM to be capped by England under my managership. Sadly the next season started dreadfully and after getting just 1 point from the opening 11 games I was sacked.

I played with them again on FM07 and for the first time from Conference South. Again I got them to the Premier League but this time I bounced back and forth to and from the Championship, stopping when FM08 came out.

The last one was on FM09. After having a nondescript few seasons at various club, the opportunity to go to Billericay arrived. I went, took them up to the Championship and play the first game there in the new Billericay Stadium. Then FM10 came along and the temptation to start from level 8 of the pyramid proved too great.

I do have two urges now though... one is again go to Billericay... the other is try to recreate 'The Miracle'.

I really do have big boots to fill!!!! :eek:

The second was on FM06 where I again took them from the Premier League having joined them when they sacked their manager in the Conference, who had brought them up from Conference South. I had two solid seasons in mid table with a highlight a 6-1 at New Anfield where a regen scored a double hat-trick. This same regen was my first ever player in CM/FM to be capped by England under my managership. Sadly the next season started dreadfully and after getting just 1 point from the opening 11 games I was sacked.

The last one was on FM09. After having a nondescript few seasons at various club, the opportunity to go to Billericay arrived. I went, took them up to the Championship and play the first game there in the new Billericay Stadium. Then FM10 came along and the temptation to start from level 8 of the pyramid proved too great.

Ah I understand it all now Nobby, cheers mate :)

Wow. Was that 20-season start really back on CM01/02? Feels like it's not so long ago. I remember I tried something similar in one save, think it was when I was in Scotland or possibly N.Ireland - surely inspired by your save.

Have you got the updates stored somewhere btw? Think I saved some updates when the forum last changed. Hopefully I still have them somewhere.

I think the twenty season holiday was 01/02. I definately holidayed for some time before taking them over.

I didn't store the updates sadly. Wished I had now.

I tried looking for them on my computer earlier, but couldn't find them. Am sure I saved some threads before the last forum switch, though I don't remember whose it was apart from my own and the Welshman thing. Hopefully they haven't been lost to re-formats.

Billericay Town - Blue Square South - 2010/11

In my first season due to the very low reputation all I wanted was a mid table finish. I would love to get promoted but it seemed too much for my reputation and I didn't think I could get the players in to mount a challenge

League Table

League Positions

This... was unexpected. I found out how much talent I could bring in from Scotland and this was probably the main reason I did this well. To win in my first season really was something and I have never got a promotion on this game before. The league positions and League Table might suggest that it was an easy surge towards the title but after about 36 games I was still only one point ahead of forest green and Salisbury. Salisbury in particular caused me some problems as they were right behind me for most of the season and were never more than 4 points behind me. However towards the end and a late unbeaten run and a loss of form mean't I clinched what I thought was an unlikely title and a request for the freedom of the city :cool:

FA Cup- The FA Cup was easy in the qualifying rounds as we met opposition even lower than our league and easily disposed of them. The first round was different though and after a 2-2 draw at our place Kettering were too much in the second match at their home ground

FA Trophy-This wasn't so easy as after a easy game against lower opposition once more Bromley (who made a late push for the playoffs) knocked us out to make our run in this competition shorter than we wanted.

Transfers-We sold a lot of dead wood who were all eating up our wages and brought in a lot of scottish talent, and a few others. Without these signings I think I would have been in a relegation fight for sure !

Squad-This squad if it keeps improving could probably avoid relegation from the BSP but I still need to make a few signings to make us of Mid Table quality to ensure we stay there.

Best Players Profiles:

James Keatings-This player was awesome! He blitzed through BSS defences. He even had a month injury and still managed to become our top goalscorer. If only his composure was higher then he would have scored even more !

Craig Mcshea-Another fantastic performance this year. He not only scored a lot of goals but had a nice amount of assists as well.

Graham McLelland-This Scottish regen may not look that good but his physical attributes often made up for it. He often got us out of trouble and I hope he can continue.

Paul Bignot -The most consistant player in my squad. He never got below a 6.8 in the entire season, but he hardly got above 7.2 either. He didn't seem to make many mistakes this year though so he looks likely to keep his place.

Sam Corcoran On loan from Colchester, he certainly knows how to create a chance. Time and time again I have seen him see a gap in defence and take advantage of it for an almost always easy goal. When he did score one of his few goals he had a couple of long range screamers! Unfortunately he's back at Colchester and if I can't get any better in the transfer market I may hope to call for his services again.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square South          1st       Champions

Next Season

I honestly think we can be a safe mid table team next year. You never know with a bit of luck on our side we may push for the playoffs

• 1 month later...

My first takeover could be on the horizon. Will print screen for end of season report. It includes a former footballer. Hopefully I get some investment as we're in the red at moment. Sorry for not updating lately. I've been playing other games than FM so haven't found the motivation for this as much. I think the season I'm on at moment though should be completed in next week.

He was the first annoying idiot that came into my head. :D

He would probably be the first idiot to come into my head too :D Just about to start February 30 games in. Takeover not decided yet ! I hope it's soon as I'm currently 288k in debt and I haven't actually spent a single pound on transfer fees :D

It's December 2032 in my game and having been at Curzon Ashton, Hednesford Town, Northampton Town, Sunderland and Lincoln City. In 7846 days I have spent £2,400,000 on transfers or £305.89 per day :D

That money has been spent on 86 players giving an average transfer value of £27,907

Pittance really. I'm yet to spend even £1,000,000 on a single player.

It's December 2032 in my game and having been at Curzon Ashton, Hednesford Town, Northampton Town, Sunderland and Lincoln City. In 7846 days I have spent £2,400,000 on transfers or £305.89 per day :D

That money has been spent on 86 players giving an average transfer value of £27,907

Pittance really. I'm yet to spend even £1,000,000 on a single player.

Wow that's impressive. Even if i did have a bit of money to spend I'd still look for frees as there's some quality players you can get for nothing !

Billericay Town - Blue Square Premier- 2011/12

All I wanted was mid table. Promotion was a surprise and I just wanted to settle down in this league

League Table

League Positions

How I had the team to get another promotion I don't know. I did make signings but I didn't think it would have the effect it did. It was a decent start but it wasn't until about halfway through the season that I went into 1st position. at about game 38 I was 7 points ahead. I thought this should actually be a easy finish. I was wrong the next 8 games produced 8 points. I finished the game with a 2-2 thriller at Barnet. It was an all or nothing game as Barnet was a point behind me in the league before the match.

FA Cup-We had a close game against Stevenage before putting up a good fight against league two Mansfield.

FA Trophy- What a nice surprise. I didn't expect to win anything so to complete a non league double was superb ! Also this cup competition has probably produced the most replays I have played in one competition on any FM. It was probably the main reason for our bad end to league as we had high fatigue.

Transfers-I didn't make that many transfers but only Tony Diagne didn't have a great season. However he did have a few solid performances that I couldn't see my Blue Square South defenders doing. I got rid of almost all of my deadwood. The only player I don't really want that I've been trying to get rid of for ages is the over 30 goalkeeper that's been in the subs bench.

Squad-With a few exceptions I can't see many of these players making it in League Two. I may have to bring quite a few new players in. Definitely a new goalkeeper

Best Players Profiles:

Leon Best

-He was an amazing signing for free. I think he could be one of the few players who could make it in League Two. He didn't start off well but once he gelled with the team he was on fire. The reason why I have only one player in this section is because the majority of my team that have played exceptionally well have been strikers. So I thought only the best was needed.

Career Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12   Blue Square Premier        1st       Champions and FA Trophy Winners

Next Season

I think that this team needs a lot of work and mid table may be once again my target

• 2 weeks later...

Billericay Town - Coca Cola League Two - 2012/13

I needed to bring quite a few players in this season to maintain my football league side. I thought promotion was possible as I've always managed to overachieve before. The must was to keep above the red in finances and hopefully improve at least one of the stadium, training facilities or youth facilities at the end of the season. This was a tough task but I knew I was more than capable of doing it.

League Table

League Positions

I somehow managed to sneak in the top 3 !!!. There are a few players that did outstanding and is the reason why we've got promoted. At the start of the season I didn't sign new contracts with that many players so a lot of them left. This was almost like blue square south all over again but with better players targeted. We reached our wage budget with the players we brought in and I think that after this position they deserved this. As you can see by the table we didn't really start to get going until the 7th game. From here we managed to top the table after 11 games and after that we never went out of the top 7. Rotherham were uncatchable. The only reason they are only 5 points ahead are because of a bad run of form towards the end. Mansfield came out of nowhere but deserved the promotion. Last year I had to face barnet to gain promotion to league 2. This year guess who I had ? It was lincoln who were in 3rd place at the time. I thrashed them 4-1. I just hope I'm not going to fall apart one of these days!

FA Cup-A uneventful cup for us. Darlington became a bit of a bogey team for us as they beat us all three times in the season.

League Cup-All of the goals were in the first half. It was a very boring game for the duration of the match and it was quite nasty to lose on penalties but this competition isn't important

Johnstone's Paint Trophy-I thought we might go forward in this competition a couple of rounds if we managed to get a couple of league two teams. We got a tough draw against watford though and we got punished by their top strike force.

Transfers-I got rid of quite a few of the BSP winning team. This is mainly because my finances weren't enough to keep this squad plus my signings. So I had to get rid of every single player who I didn't think could make it in league two. Barry Lakin my assistant was probably not good enough either but I didn't think this mattered as much. I'll be looking for a new assistant soon though. Scott Gallagher has got potential for the championship in my opinion as at 23 he's already one of the best league two keepers there is. Kal Naismith was originally bought as a winger but after seeing his stats changed to striker. The rest of the players all had potential except Alan Mahon who was to provide football league experience for the club at the start of season. Finally I brought in some loan signings and all of them showed to me that if bought they'd blossom into quality players.

Squad-A small squad but it did it's job. However, this squad will be made smaller soon when the players return to their clubs. I'll have to invest in new players guaranteed or bring the players back on loan again. Decisions...decisions

Best Players Profiles:

Kal Naismith-What an incredible player. Signed as a free he was only mean't to be my first choice winger. However after a re look at his stats I noticed he could be put up front. I did this and he banged them almost every game. This is by far the most anyone has scored for me and not only has he scored that many but he's got an 8 average rating ! This has never happened to me in FM before and I'm surprised he's not already on the favourite personnel list

Wayne McCormick-Brought on loan from Notts County, a solid and determined defender who always put in a good performance. On a side note Notts County are doing quite well in Championship and has a very good youth team ! Plus they are my feeder club :D

Enrico Petrillo-On loan from burnley, this quick winger was my first non-british player. I have to say he does look terrible in some attributes but in the ones that mattered he performed. Often was the case that he would cross for Naismith who headed the ball into the net like a bullet.

Leon Best-Last season's star player still performed quite well in this league. He had some good spells in the season where he was scoring for fun. In other parts he couldn't get a goal to save his life. However he was always reliable to at least put in decent amounts of effort

Career Overview

2011/12   Blue Square Premier        1st       Champions and FA Trophy Winners
2012/13   Coca Cola League 2         3rd       Promoted

Next Season

I'm not going to predict anything. I just want us to avoid relegation and If we somehow become champions then so be it. I doubt this run of promotions is going to last forever but as long as I don't come back to league 2 I've made progress.

Archived