FM10SX Thread for Beta versions 0.7.x through 0.9.x

smgran

I had ask Littleblue if it was okay to start a new thread for her fantastic editor/scout utility FM10SX. The old one was just getting way too long (over 1,000 posts) and the project has progress to the point that most of the information in the old thread was completely outdated. So this new thread will be dedicated to just the Beta versions starting with the current 0.7.x and ending with the eventual 1.0 release. Please limit posts pertaining to these versions only.

Overview

For those not familiar with it, FM10SX is an open source project designed to be an extremely robust in-game editor and scouting tool for the Mac version of Football Manager 2010. For additional information (wiki user manual, full list of versions, changes and updates, etc.) visit the project home page http://fm10sx.googlecode.com

As with the old thread, the first post will be updated with current version information.

Current FM10SX Version

Current FM10SX Major Feature Set

Loads both compressed and uncompressed FM10 games

Vast (Player, Staff, Club, Competition, Awards, Weather, etc.) in-game editing

Saves edited game (NOTE: currently can only save game as uncompressed)

Enhanced Scouting tool for Player, Staff and Club scouting

What can you do

Load your game (regardless of being compressed or uncompressed) and edit literally thousands of variables. Things like typically player attributes (Finishing, Marking, etc.) to even unusual stuff like the currency rates used in the game.

Enhanced scouting tool allows for searching Players and Staff with a plethora of criteria to choose from (all attributes and even hidden ones like Current Ability (CA) and Potential Ability (PA)).

The scout feature also includes handy tools to help you determine the right player or coach. For players a "Growth Rate Probability" rating system is used to show you how likely (and how fast) a player can get to their stated PA. For coaches a coach star rating is built in so you can quickly determine the best training a coach does and how good he/she really is.

Save your edited game file (note: game files currently can only be saved uncompressed).

What can't you do

As noted, games saved are only saved in an uncompressed format

You cannot transfer a player to another club (although this is currently be worked on and should be available in the 0.8 release timeframe)

You cannot create a new player (not sure if this can ever be done)

Some variables (like Player Name) are currently not editable (however, this is ongoing work and the next release should incorporate more)

Download (both Binary and Source available)

http://fm10sx.googlecode.com

For use with Football Manager 2010 updates

Issues / Crashes / Bugs

Please report them at http://code.google.com/p/fm10sx/issues

Supported Max OS X versions

- 10.5.x Leopard

- 10.6.x Snow Leopard

Localisations

Japanese

Brazilian Portuguese

Norwegian

French

Visit the project page to find these localisations as well as finding out more information including how to help in translating into your language.

Important Note

Most attributes (Finishing, Marking, Pace, etc.) used in the game are actually based on a 1-100 scale although when playing a game the user sees them on a 1-20 scale. When using FM10SX (and this is noted throughout the editor) you will need to enter values based on the 1-100 scale. Again, throughout the editor the value range required is displayed.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I changed the PA and CA to 200. Then maximized their stats as well as returning the goalkeeping statistics to 1 if they were not a goalkeeper. Most stayed at 20 but some dropped to around 15 so maybe there is still something still that will change the attributes.

And we're talking about the player position variables, right (i.e., Midfielder Right = 20 so that he shows as "Natural" for that position)?

Or are some of their regular attributes you max'd (like Marking, Passing, etc.) changing back to lower numbers?

update

Okay, I've found that it is impossible to have all attributes at 20. There is some limit for the combine attributes so that if some are very high, others will need to be lower. So if you were talking about some of the regular player attributes that you had set in the editor to be 20 have dropped to 15, then that is just a limit of the game itself.

I also believe (but don't know for sure yet) that some of the hidden variables like Professionalism, Loyalty, Sportsmanship are also part of whatever this unknown limit is.

So if I wanted a super striker to maintain his attributes in key categories that are important for a player of that position, could I just set everything else to 0 and that would balance it out? I.e. leave agility, shooting, whatever at 20 and making all GK attributes 0 as well as useless stuff like corners and freekicks?

So if I wanted a super striker to maintain his attributes in key categories that are important for a player of that position, could I just set everything else to 0 and that would balance it out? I.e. leave agility, shooting, whatever at 20 and making all GK attributes 0 as well as useless stuff like corners and freekicks?

Definitely don't set them to 0 because that's a key number FM2010 uses to produce random numbers for the attributes. But, you're thinking is correct, just pick a low number like 1 or 2. So for your super striker you would max out Finishing, Composure, Technique, Balance, Agility, etc. and then have Marking, Tackling, Long Throws, whatever else as 2's.

But even then, FM2010 may adjust them based on whatever the mysterious total attributes amount is to CA.

I also have heard (but can't confirm) that not all attributes are treated equal. Some "use up" more of the CA than others. And I have no idea which ones are counted more towards the CA limit (again, I'm not even sure that concept is true).

Damn, I wish he could just be 20 in everything! Make it so, SI!

Great work as always, smgran and LB.

Also, smgran, are you north or south CA? Rare to find another FM player located so close.

Damn, I wish he could just be 20 in everything! Make it so, SI!

Great work as always, smgran and LB.

Also, smgran, are you north or south CA? Rare to find another FM player located so close.

Up North in the Bay Area, but most of our family are in LA.

Up North in the Bay Area, but most of our family are in LA.

I go to school in the Bay Area. Most of the others did not change to 15, I maxed out stats and made all GK stats 1 for all the field players. Few changed back and most stayed the same I do not know if the positions have changed, I will check.

One of the enhanced features of the scouting feature that LB wants to add is a Position Rating System. FMGenie has a similar system but the one being designed for FM10SX will be far more elaborate and incorporate the "roles" that you use when setting up tactics for your team.

In order to employ this type of system we need to determine the type of roles the algorithm will analyze players on. These roles are discussed in good detail in Tactical Theorems '10 available here for free which I highly recommend reading if you have not already done so. This is as close to a Tactical Bible as you can get.

Anyway, please take a can look over the following potential segmentations for the typical positions and provide feedback as you see fit.

Goalkeepers

I was thinking of segmenting this into GK and Sweeper Keepers but I suspect very few if anyone uses the SK role.

Defensive Line

SW

This is the traditional Sweeper (or the older Libero) role for use in 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 tactics.

FB

Simply put the most defensive of the DL/DR players (so more strength and tackling skills)

WB

Obviously compared to FB, the more offensive of the DL/DR players (so better at crossing, dribbling, pace, etc.)

CB

Here we can leave it as just the CB or have either CB or Ball Playing CB (Rio Ferdinand, etc.)

Midfielders

DMC

Here I was playing to segment to either a DMC-Anchor or DMC-Playmaker. The Anchor being the "holding" type (and more common DMC) and the Playmaker the more offensive type.

MC

There can be a lot of specialization here and I'm not sure the best way to handle it. We could have a standard MC and then DLP (Deep Lying Playmaker), AP (Advanced Playmaker), and BWM (Ball Winning Midfielder). Or we can just have MC since a lot of MCs can fulfill multiple roles.

MR/ML

Here I think we just segment to Wingers and Wide Midfielders, with Wingers requiring the better ball and speed skills. And the Wide players with better defensive or just all around capabilities.

Attacking Midfielders

AMR/AML

Here I think it's of value to segment into Wingers, Advanced Playmakers, Inside Forwards. Wingers we all know, Adv Playmakers tend to be slower than true Wingers but more creative. The Inside Forward would be those special players (Cristiano Ronaldo) who has pace and ball skills of a winger, and scoring ability of a striker.

AMC

We need at least 2 (the Advanced Playmaker and the Attacking Midfielder). The question is do we also segment into 2 similar but at the same time opposite roles of Inside Forward and Trequartista.

Strikers

Here my thinking is to segment into all four distinct types of strikers: Advanced Forward (the pacey striker), Target Man, Deep Lying Forward (sort of a shorter version of the Target Man but with more ball skills), and then the Complete Forward. We could add a fifth the Trequartista but I suspect most people don't use this role with their strikers.

So let me try and understand. The new feature will incorporate how good one player is at a certain role or it would tell us the best role suitable for a certain player?

Both. Players get evaluated on all roles and then get a rating for each role. Obviously their highest rating would be their ideal role, however you'll see all their ratings. Of course, strikers would probably have terrible ratings at all the defensive line positions, but all ratings will be viewable. The reason you may want to see them all is that some players are easy to figure out what role they should be in, but some are not so obvious. Not to mention some could have the attributes needed to play a certain role but may not be trained at that position yet. Or you may be looking for a player who can play two roles equally well, etc.

A summary of how this will work is that each role's rating is based on certain key attributes. To get a 5 star rating as a Target Striker the player will need to have very high numbers for Strength, Heading, Jumping, Balance as well as very good numbers for 1st Touch, Teamwork, Bravery, Determination, etc. not to mention he needs to be a tall player.

The specific stars (so what defines a 1 versus a 5) will be based on random samples of players. I mention this because one of my issues with the way FMGenie does their rating system is that players like Messi and Kaka end up getting a rating around 85 out of 100 for their best position (FMGenie rates by position and not role within that position). But that rating just does not make sense to me. The true world class players should be very close to 100. This rating system will be based on 1 to 5 stars, so Messi I would bet would be a 5 star at the Advanced Playmaker role within AMC (and probably 5 stars for the AMR/AML Advanced Playmaker and probably as an Inside Forward as well).

I'm currently compiling lists of players (at random) so that we'll have very good ones and very bad ones in order to have a system which correctly rates poor players in the 1-2 star range, average players in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 range, good players getting 4 or 4 1/2 stars and the ultra players getting 5 stars. However, you may find a player who is so specialized (and very good at that specialized role) that although he is just an average player he might be a 4 1/2 or even 5 star at one specific role. For example, Nikola Zigic is a very good player but not world class, but he'd probably get a 5 star rating as a Target Striker because he does everything well that a Target Striker needs to do. On the other hand, he'd get some pretty average ratings at other striker roles because his lack of Passing, Technique, Pace and other attributes.

So this is going to be an option to search for in the scout feature and will it show up on the players page like if you wanted to scroll through roles or would there be another page will all roles and the ratings for each one for one player.

I don't think it will be searchable. I wasn't thinking about it in that way. My gut tells me it's better to search for the player via the attributes or the overall position (i.e., striker) and then have this auxiliary information shown for just that one player you're reviewing. So all the roles with the ratings for just that one player on a pop up window. Very much the way the coaches training ratings are now.

The role rating (for lack of a better title) is still a generic rating system. You may want a very good target striker but want the best one at heading (maybe because you also need him to be your primary corner target). But because other attributes are equally important for the target striker, the best header may actually be a guy that gets a 4 1/2 star rating. If all these roles are added to the searchable items the list is going to get quite long and perhaps too complex.

But that's just my take, LB might have a better way to do it.

No here is the big question LB and smgran: when do you start creating this tool for the PC users?? I know some years back LB helped a guy to start progarmming for the PC users, but that didn't materialize. In that process LB promissed to create this tools for the PC users if that whoever he was didn't completed the project...

No here is the big question LB and smgran: when do you start creating this tool for the PC users?? I know some years back LB helped a guy to start progarmming for the PC users, but that didn't materialize. In that process LB promissed to create this tools for the PC users if that whoever he was didn't completed the project...

Actually I didn't promise that - I said I'd look into crossover compilers for cocoa for use on windows but decided against it. I am willing to help anyone who wants to work on a PC version but but making a PC version isn't on my personal horizon :)

C'mon Veg, you guys have plenty of editors and scouts! Let us have ours! ;)

Your is so much better!!!! Well it will be when names can be changed, that is what I'm looking for. I know FMRTE can change name, but it only allows you to use names currently in the game. I want to use names that aren't in the DB already. This is the only way to get the african youngsters I forgot to add to my DB before I started a new game into my game..

I've had an issue with scouting for players from a certain country, I type in "Germany" and hit search (like it used to work) but nothing happens at all. What's changed that means that doesn't work and what can I do about it?

It should work just as you say. The code is in there for it to search by "person name" or "team name" or "country name". I'm assuming you tried it a few times (and also tried closing and relaunching the app).

Update

Just tried it and it definitely works okay. It may be that your fm10sx got corrupted or something. Try to just download it again and replace the app. Then try it again.

Your is so much better!!!! Well it will be when names can be changed, that is what I'm looking for. I know FMRTE can change name, but it only allows you to use names currently in the game. I want to use names that aren't in the DB already. This is the only way to get the african youngsters I forgot to add to my DB before I started a new game into my game..

How far in your game are you Veg? If it isn't too far, you could decide to add them to your db and start again.

FMRTE (added in version 3.0.320) allows you to edit (type the name that you want) players/staff members names, you just need to go to the player profile, and in the first/last/nickname field change it to the new name and save, you still have some restrictions, but it works well

You have to go into preferences in-game and uncheck the box that compresses the saves.
You could try to check your game settings. Perhaps you can change something corresponding there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, works a charm :thup:. Is the DOB changeable? Only I think I made my goalkeeper younger but he remains 28.

I have absolutely no experience with the FM10SX editor, but in the normal editor that comes with the game, you can changes dates of birth to whatevery you like. The game can change dob's that makes players too young though. (As it does with your manager dob too, for that matter.)

Yep. DOB is changeable. That's the best part about FM10SX for me!

And that is pre-game, or in-game? If it is pre-game, then it is just a normal feature, but if it really is in-game, then you could have your favorite striker play for your team forever!

I could be wrong, but basically everything that has a text fields that enable you to enter in data into fm10sx is changeable (that is, changes made are then saved and show up as such when you load your game file into Football Manager 2010).

And as I mentioned in the first post (but thanks to r1alfarolopez for restating this), currently FM10SX can only save games in the uncompressed format. So the easy thing to do is to (again as r1alfarolopez says) just change the way FM2010 saves your game files. In the preferences there is a checkbox to save your games compressed. Just uncheck this.

And quite frankly the difference in size between compressed and uncompressed game files is not really that much. Nowadays when 100's of GBs or even Terabytes of hard disk space is the norm, leaving your games uncompressed is not a big deal.

The DOB has changed, I must have done something wrong, thanks. I've only done it because my keeper apparently started his career at 20 years old. Seems a bit strange he'd only get signed then, seeing as he's the best keeper in the world.

A suggestion for the next update, would be to include the addition/removal of feeder clubs. A fantastic FMRTE even in BETA however, I must say :thup:.

smgran do you know about new updates that LB has done for FM10SX?

All of her changes that are done are up on project's website:

http://fm10sx.googlecode.com

It's a little cryptic because she only has a short sentence to explain what each change in the code was for. But you can sort of tell what she's been working on. For example, if you click the Source link (on that page) and then click the Changes link you will see she has added stuff like exporting out a scouting list in CSV format (comma separated values) so you can then import those into a spreadsheet program like Excel. I actually am using this currently with my side project of the player position/role analyzer.

Most of the stuff LB has done since the last release are little clean ups and small bug fixes and for everyone please recall that she was going to take a break from coding which as history suggests means that she probably won't have a new update for several weeks perhaps months. Of course this project is free and it's coming along quite well so waiting a little bit is not the end of the world.

Question: is there any info out there about SI changing the saving mechanism(s) or file/database structure for FM11? Wasn't that a big issue that mucked up the release of a past edition of the editor?

I certainly hope they don't do anything like that this time 'round, because what LB, smgran, and any other helpers have created is a great product.

btw, I'm not sure yet whether to stop developing 10sx and leave that where it is when fm11 comes out and start from that point and continue with 11sx and only be compatible with fm11 versions with that program....would give max stability imo - what do people think?

btw, I'm not sure yet whether to stop developing 10sx and leave that where it is when fm11 comes out and start from that point and continue with 11sx and only be compatible with fm11 versions with that program....would give max stability imo - what do people think?

Honestly I really would like if you could make some more updates before switching to FM11

EDIT: MAJOR updates i mean like 0.8 and 0.9

• 2 weeks later...

any chance of a time frame for the next update? seems like it's been a while since there's been much progress. Not complaining--program works great and does much of what I'd like it to do already--just hoping to see this project continue to progress.

Archived