tightening defensively

Hello all had some really good advice on here with tactics (particulary iam) but have come up with some other stuff i would like help with. Last season was a really good season for me in fm but the problem i have come up against is im not good enough defensively, so looking for advice to improve defensively.

This is my formation. Instead of Da Costa i usually play Kovac at centre back

t03ev6.jpg

roles for each player is following

GK - Gk

DR/DL - full back/automatic

DC - centre defender/defend (left centre back zonal mark) (right centre back man mark)

DMC - anchor man/defend

ML/MR - winger/support (left winger prefered moves is cut inside so have him doing that) (Right winger prefered move is moves into channels so have him doing that) I adjust if these guys are more attacking depending on defense playing against

AM - attacking midfielder/attack

ST(L) - poacher/attack

ST® - targert man/support

Cole and Ilan should be the other way around. It shows cole as pocher and ilan as target man but i always play them the other way around.

The following pic is my final league position. Prolific scoring but shocking in defence. If it wasent for cole and ilan i would of been in trouble last year. Ilan got europeon golden boot and cole got 3rd top scorer

16i6r2f.jpg

Any help would be very welcome

Keep the same tactic and play your next season. With your improved reputation less teams will have a go and by extension you'll probably concede less (and may struggle to match 91 goals for). It's a generalisation and a simplification but in my experience it always holds true, especially if you get on a roll early on and the pre match odds start to shift in your favour.

Your defenders aren't exactly top 4 challenging material which won't help.

As for actual useful advice re defending with respect to your tactics, I'll leave that to others with experience of this 442 wide diamond

Your shape is awful defensively, you have only two central midfielders and they are setup in AMC and DMC slots meaning you have no numbers and no width to protect the centre of your defence.

You simple cannot defend this way. You can't give the opposition all the space they could possibly wish for in midfield and then have only three players protecting the middle of your defence. Not even Barcelona play this way and they are well known for being "the greatest team ever" and very weak at the back.

Wide Diamond Formations:

With a Wide Diamond formation like this one you need to turn your width down a few notches so the ML and MR can engage your opponents CM's when you're defending. You probably want Fullback-Defend roles instead of fullback auto-roles. You also probably want defenders of the LC and RC variety at your back positions (people who are more defensive and can also play CB rather than people who push forwards well and into your midfielders space).

I tend to look to get my team to defend as a team.

This begins up front and in midfield with closing down opponents play, cutting out supply lines.

Although it can be offensively good, the wider diamond can leave lot's of open spaces for opposing teams to exploit, especially on the counter. That's why closing down is very important.

Thanks for reply. The reasonm i play as a diamond is to try and get the best out of Van Der Vaart and Parker. Both have played much better in these positions. The following is my second from last game i was playing hardly a mighty West Brom

33dxlr5.jpg

This was really early on in the game and as you can see the striker doesnt have to work hard to run into space. Why dont the players attack the areas i have highlighted? as in go to wear the yellow line is. I think i have enough players at the back but are they defending the wrong spaces?

35bxagz.jpg

How easy was that? Not two mighty players by any means yet i was carved open. Should i go flat 4-4-2? I read up on here and people seem to struggle to make an effective flat 4-4-2

It gets better this was the second goal i conceded in the match. It started with me on the attack and giving the ball away.

s6pz6h.jpg

As you can see no danger here havent over committed and it looks ok but its such an easy goal for them. As you can see from the following no real danger here loads of bodies back and not that many options for the attacke although here he is in loads of space and no one really tight on him or anything.

2i78jli.jpg

How easy is this next piece of play? we are so open and a simple pass into space that the player runs into i stand no chance

30lpdo7.jpg

How easy was that? Just before the pass watch what 3 of my defenders do. They follow the player with the ball and havent the sense to cover the space or anything.

1zvpcar.jpg

Any tell me how that can be stopped from happening? I mean all 3 attacking that player is nuts and parker is so far behind play on this goal and should of picked up the runner. His settings are to mark and mark tightly as well so why wasent he following the midfield runner? I have a feeling i should take man mark off him and just have him on tight marking so he marks the space (and hopefully runners)

agin any help would be great

For the first example screenshots:-

- how come Samaras was able to come off the line so easily and then turn the CB who came rushing so easily? If already set to Man Tight then that is as good as it gets for a moment like that

- your left CB is set to Zonal. If he was Man Tight he might have locked onto the striker running from slightly deep much earlier. Instead you get your Man Tight DM trying to pick him up but losing him on the blindside and the Zonal CB just not reacting

So for that given moment I'm looking at the marking settings of the CBs but the rub of it is that you could make that change, concede 3 goals in your next match and post screenshots to which I would respond that Man Tight was part of the problem. To a certain extent there are things that are out of your control and you make a choice. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and attributes/randomness will contribute beyond tactical settings.

For the second example you got screwed by context and the crappy ME defending where players do not know how to do basic covering. Parker found himself so close to Samaras that no matter how low his closing down was he would have made a pressing movement and let the runner go. But having said that, for that particular moment your combination of D Line, marking and Closing Down got opened up

- Samaras gets the separation by just standing on the halfway line while your back line drops off

- then when he runs with the ball your CB who has dropped off gets triggered to close down

But again there are ME issues involved

- as you mentioned lack of covering behaviour by full backs

- Upson shifting to cover for Da Costa with no regards for context

- multi closing down and dumb aggressive paths whereby Upson runs head on towards the dribbler coming at the back line which is not what a real life defender would do

- some basic conceptual defending not adhered to (but settings play a role)

What I mean by the last couple is that in real life the defender either gets tight initially or drops off and then shifts to engage. He never drops off and goes 'hang on, I need to close down' and goes belting towards the dribbling player who is running right at the defensive line. But FM centre halfs and full backs do that. You can tweak settings to try to shift it towards one behaviour or the other but you will still see crap defending that is far from what real life defenders do.

Alternatively it is just the way goals/chances happen in the match engine and ultimately it is down to attributes and randomness and is not 100% about tactics. Take your pick as far as I am concerned.

Since we are talking about defending - Why oh why do fullbacks or centrebacks(mainly fullbacks) track a opp. player and then as soon as the opp. player gets to the final third my defender, whether it be full back or centre back thinks - I know, i'll stop running with the player and just go to towards my own area for no reason so the opp. player has acres of space to run into and cross to their player at the far post and score? This happens at least 15 times a season and it doesn't make any sense. Alright, they don't always score but it's frustrating all the same. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

Just to clarify what I was aying above

- D Line = 20

- Tight Man CBs

is how I like to play. I am not saying that it never happens but in the above counter attack type situation a CB under those settings would in my experience not have dropped off Samaras so easily around the halfway line thus not allowing him to receive and turn to run at the retreating line so easily. That's a choice I make and it does leave me vulnerable when chosen against a more aggressive pacy striker who is looking for runs in behind more than he drops off. So if it happens I take the hit because in all other circumstances it allows me to squeeze the space and try to win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible, which is what I want to do.

Just to clarify what I was aying above

- D Line = 20

- Tight Man CBs

is how I like to play. I am not saying that it never happens but in the above counter attack type situation a CB under those settings would in my experience not have dropped off Samaras so easily around the halfway line thus not allowing him to receive and turn to run at the retreating line so easily. That's a choice I make and it does leave me vulnerable when chosen against a more aggressive pacy striker who is looking for runs in behind more than he drops off. So if it happens I take the hit because in all other circumstances it allows me to squeeze the space and try to win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible, which is what I want to do.

I think that if you've got a good goalkeeper with 16+ one on ones then the opp. will probably not score as much so that should help in your set-up.

My set-up is to have my back four man-mark and tight-mark and the D/L is 13. Is that a good set-up in your opinion? Thanks

Since we are talking about defending - Why oh why do fullbacks or centrebacks(mainly fullbacks) track a opp. player and then as soon as the opp. player gets to the final third my defender, whether it be full back or centre back thinks - I know, i'll stop running with the player and just go to towards my own area for no reason so the opp. player has acres of space to run into and cross to their player at the far post and score? This happens at least 15 times a season and it doesn't make any sense. Alright, they don't always score but it's frustrating all the same. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

Depends on the context. Man Tight will make it less likely but putting FBs on Man Tight will magnify the covering issues in the match engine. But within a given context whereby one defender has been drawn out far from the D Line other defenders will drop in regardless of threats, that is in my experience hard coded to happen. All just my experience and based on your description so I could be completelty wrong and I could be describing something completely different to what you are complaining about. make up your own mind :)

I think that if you've got a good goalkeeper with 16+ one on ones then the opp. will probably not score as much so that should help in your set-up.

My set-up is to have my back four man-mark and tight-mark and the D/L is 13. Is that a good set-up in your opinion? Thanks

For me there is no such thing as a good set up as it depends on what you want to do and context. For example if the opposition are expected to lose and playing defensively then a D Line of 13 might make it harder to win the ball back as they will play keep ball in and around thier own third (marking settings, closing down come into it too). But under 'average' circumstance that D Line setting might give you the perfect (or as close as is possible) balance between being able to deny space in front while not leaving too much space in behind for through balls. And then there is context where you are completely outmatched and decide to try to limit the opposition to long shots and reduce the room between your defensive lines while denying dangerous passing lanes through your side as much as possible. In this case D Line 13 might be too high if this is what you decide to do, and use of Man Tight is going to stretch your defense a bit too much and open up passing lanes in areas where a Zonal Loose system might remain more compact.

I use tight man across my back 4 too simply because I like one of the effects in terms of the way in which they are more likely to break from nominal defensive position to get tight to a potential short passing option before the pass is made. It does though as I mentioned magnify the lack of covering behaviour so will, if the context emerges, leave defenders isolated in 1v1 scenarios. In an ideal world (or a world where player behaviours were actually based on what real life defenders do) I could choose a setting that gives me both but I can't. So I make a choice and take the negative hit as part of that choice when it does happen.

Attributes and match ups do come into it and I will switch to Zonal when I feel it is necessary (usually too late :D), but as an overall philosophy Man Tight matches up more closely to what I want to see on the 2D pitch.

I think i understand about the covering issues but why would any defender run with an opp. winger and then all of a sudden leave the player to keep running and then just run to the center of the goal towards the goalkeeper?

For me there is no such thing as a good set up as it depends on what you want to do and context. For example if the opposition are expected to lose and playing defensively then a D Line of 13 might make it harder to win the ball back as they will play keep ball in and around thier own third (marking settings, closing down come into it too). But under 'average' circumstance that D Line setting might give you the perfect (or as close as is possible) balance between being able to deny space in front while not leaving too much space in behind for through balls. And then there is context where you are completely outmatched and decide to try to limit the opposition to long shots and reduce the room between your defensive lines while denying dangerous passing lanes through your side as much as possible. In this case D Line 13 might be too high if this is what you decide to do, and use of Man Tight is going to stretch your defense a bit too much and open up passing lanes in areas where a Zonal Loose system might remain more compact.

I use tight man across my back 4 too simply because I like one of the effects in terms of the way in which they are more likely to break from nominal defensive position to get tight to a potential short passing option before the pass is made. It does though as I mentioned magnify the lack of covering behaviour so will, if the context emerges, leave defenders isolated in 1v1 scenarios. In an ideal world (or a world where player behaviours were actually based on what real life defenders do) I could choose a setting that gives me both but I can't. So I make a choice and take the negative hit as part of that choice when it does happen.

Attributes and match ups do come into it and I will switch to Zonal when I feel it is necessary (usually too late :D), but as an overall philosophy Man Tight matches up more closely to what I want to see on the 2D pitch.

Yeah i get what you mean - lesser of the two evils in a way. That's my i prefer my set-up that way as well.

I think i understand about the covering issues but why would any defender run with an opp. winger and then all of a sudden leave the player to keep running and then just run to the center of the goal towards the goalkeeper?

Tentatively I would say it's a bug and probably shouldn't happen but I think it is supposed to mirror pressing and recovery lines. Again I am interpreting the issue so screenshots of what you mean might help.

- so FB goes to challenge a winger but gets skinned

- the nearby CB or a defensive MC comes in pressing the ballcarrier (or is attempting to do so)

- the FB retreats back towards the goal in a standard recovery line

So when it doesn't work exactly as intended the FB 'gives up' too soon and starts on his recovery line instead of continuing to chase down the dribbler. Again a tentative suggestion but you would most likely see a related movement from another defending player towards the ballcarrier in and around the same time the FB 'runs away'. higher closing down can contribute especially if what you see is a CB coming across from far away while a FB retreats.

But as I said I would still call it out as a bug if it doesn't look right. Whether or not SI agree with that is a different story. I criticise the match engine a lot but I do accept that there are difficulties in coding realistic 'mistakes' so some of the stuff I complain about may be considered acceptable modelling of poor defending. The fact that I disagree with this potential viewpoint is neither here nor there since I am not in any position to make a difference. If the same stuff is still going on in FM 11 I'll probably be back complaining about it again despite the evidence suggesting that it is 'just the way it is', if you get what I mean.

Tentatively I would say it's a bug and probably shouldn't happen but I think it is supposed to mirror pressing and recovery lines. Again I am interpreting the issue so screenshots of what you mean might help.

- so FB goes to challenge a winger but gets skinned

- the nearby CB or a defensive MC comes in pressing the ballcarrier (or is attempting to do so)

- the FB retreats back towards the goal in a standard recovery line

So when it doesn't work exactly as intended the FB 'gives up' too soon and starts on his recovery line instead of continuing to chase down the dribbler. Again a tentative suggestion but you would most likely see a related movement from another defending player towards the ballcarrier in and around the same time the FB 'runs away'. higher closing down can contribute especially if what you see is a CB coming across from far away while a FB retreats.

But as I said I would still call it out as a bug if it doesn't look right. Whether or not SI agree with that is a different story. I criticise the match engine a lot but I do accept that there are difficulties in coding realistic 'mistakes' so some of the stuff I complain about may be considered acceptable modelling of poor defending. The fact that I disagree with this potential viewpoint is neither here nor there since I am not in any position to make a difference. If the same stuff is still going on in FM 11 I'll probably be back complaining about it again despite the evidence suggesting that it is 'just the way it is', if you get what I mean.

I'm gonna try and explain it the best i can with these 4 images:-

newcastlevrmadrid.png

newcastlevrmadrid2.png[/url]

newcastlevrmadrid3.png

newcastlevrmadrid4.png

My centerback, Nick Deegan is really close to Benzema but then all of a sudden he decides to move towards my goal and leave all the space for benzema to cross to dzenko to score. That's not right. In real life i would expect my player to stay with him, hold him up even until my players were back to help defend. Not just leave him to cross!!!!

Do u see what i mean?

Football is all about opinions so if you can disagree with me without insulting me that would be appreciated ;)

But to me that looks about right. Images can be deceiving so pkm with the full flow might do one better, but it looks like he tries to challenge, gets beaten and then tries to get to a recovery point where he can block off the guy who just beat him. He just doesn't have the legs for it and Benzema is pretty nippy (also dribbling speeds can be a little too quick in the match engine in my opinion). Pretty standard defensive behaviour in my opinion, which you are free to disagree with.

On the other hand what the other defending player does is completely broken.

Tactically speaking you aren't half aggressive in that moment. Are you the second coming of Keegan? ;)

I understand what you're saying about the first defender but he wasn't trying to tackle the player. It seemed that he just decided to move off him and towards his own goal. Has for my other defender, don't get me started. He just stands there and allows him to come in score. Hopefully this will be fixed for 2011. What do you mean, am i the next keegan?

Looks like you were caught on the counter ron.e, so I think isuckatfm is suggesting you might have been set to attack aggressively, a-la "we'll score more than you" Keegan :D

Defensively, things aren't quite as they should be in the ME and I'm sure it'll be something a lot of effort goes into with beta testing. The full-backs are sometimes especially shocking, but with "cover" and "stopper" central defenders (of quality), I don't often see some of the central problems. How I set my central defence up, can most of the time, cover for the problematic full-backs issue. There's always someone back to win the ball in the air and I've not conceded too many crossed goals. Most of my goals conceded, come from being caught on the break and players getting into space. That's the chink in my armour and the risk/reward I'm prepared to accept with my overall strategy.

If you're not set up well in the centre, or your central defenders aren't too hot, then admittedly, the full-back issue looks even more glaringly obvious when those crosses fly in.

Looks like you were caught on the counter ron.e, so I think isuckatfm is suggesting you might have been set to attack aggressively, a-la "we'll score more than you" Keegan :D

Defensively, things aren't quite as they should be in the ME and I'm sure it'll be something a lot of effort goes into with beta testing. The full-backs are sometimes especially shocking, but with "cover" and "stopper" central defenders (of quality), I don't often see some of the central problems. How I set my central defence up, can most of the time, cover for the problematic full-backs issue. There's always someone back to win the ball in the air and I've not conceded too many crossed goals. Most of my goals conceded, come from being caught on the break and players getting into space. That's the chink in my armour and the risk/reward I'm prepared to accept with my overall strategy.

If you're not set up well in the centre, or your central defenders aren't too hot, then admittedly, the full-back issue looks even more glaringly obvious when those crosses fly in.

I see what you mean about my tactic. I does seem gung-ho but only by the fullbacks i think. I put my fullbacks on defensive mentality but they always seem to right up the other end of the field. almost like wingers. I'm not sure what to about that. But what i think i will do is:- lower def line but two clicks, lower everyone's mentality by two clicks so i'm not so gung-ho. What do you think?

I know there has been a bit of back and forth in this thread but I know exactly the strange behavior ron.e is talking about.

It usually seems to happen to me when a CD comes out to slow down a player who is past my FB on the wing. He will close him down but then it kind of looks like he says "oh crap, I'm way out on the wing" and just sort of falls off the player and becomes completely useless. I've even seen the player simply run into the box from all the way on the touchline and score because of this.

The root of the problem IMO is the FB. However weird the actions of the CD might be, this won't happen if he is not so far advanced. Indeed the player who scores the header would have much less space if the other FB was in a good defensive position.

Also, if it makes you feel better, try doing the same thing to the AI when it brings it's FB's forward :)

I know there has been a bit of back and forth in this thread but I know exactly the strange behavior ron.e is talking about.

It usually seems to happen to me when a CD comes out to slow down a player who is past my FB on the wing. He will close him down but then it kind of looks like he says "oh crap, I'm way out on the wing" and just sort of falls off the player and becomes completely useless. I've even seen the player simply run into the box from all the way on the touchline and score because of this.

The root of the problem IMO is the FB. However weird the actions of the CD might be, this won't happen if he is not so far advanced. Indeed the player who scores the header would have much less space if the other FB was in a good defensive position.

Also, if it makes you feel better, try doing the same thing to the AI when it brings it's FB's forward :)

I'm beginning to agree with you tbh. For my next season i've put my FB's mentality to the same as the DC's to see if that works. But it seems whatever i do my fullbacks want to play like wingers!!!!!

I understand what you're saying about the first defender but he wasn't trying to tackle the player. It seemed that he just decided to move off him and towards his own goal. Has for my other defender, don't get me started. He just stands there and allows him to come in score. Hopefully this will be fixed for 2011. What do you mean, am i the next keegan?

Fair enough. I posted before you had added the description. In relation to Dzeko heading it in I would have no issue with the defender in question losing him in transition due to movement and/or the quality of the final ball. It's the fact he just runs to hit that spot close to the edge of the 6 yard with no reference to what is going on that it makes it look so poor. The quality of the simulation is all in the margins and that just looks poor. It doesn't mean that scenario does not have to produce a goal/chance, just the manner in which it does makes that last defender look like a poor schoolboy defender just mechanically doing what he believes he was coached to do 'I must hit that spot as I have been told'.

As heath said the fact that they are breaking with two attackers against your two defenders is what makes you look gung ho and why I called you Keegan given you are managing Newcastle.

I would say this with about 50% confidence but it is quite difficult to get FBs to stay at home unless you go to the extremes mentality 1 and RFD rare. They do seem to have a tendency to spread out a bit too much when the point of attack is far on the opposite flank and to push up relative to the secondary striker at times which often leaves a hole for the higher striker to run into and leaves them clambering back to a position one could argue they should be in in the first place. But that then brings you to the difficulty of making a simulation: control vs intelligent behaviour, in other words to what extent should players compensate for 'poo'r instructions or indeed if that is even possible to do.

I agree 100% with what drhay53 posted but if you have been playing the game for a few versions you will have noticed an improvement in the paths CBs take when they do break to close down wide areas. But this behaviour also relates to control vs intelligent behaviour in that Closing Down probably plays a role in that decision that is made even if it isn't something a real life CB would do. Very hard to code context based variations I would imagine. On a side note also one of the reasons I don't like the default TC settings for DMs, they close down like headless chickens and man mark strikers who come deep right on top of the defensive line far too often. Anybody interested in how to beat Liverpool (or any team playing a 4231 deep) should take a look at the pkm posted by Falahk in the Creativity and Flair thread

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/220742-Creativity-and-Flair.?p=5727726&viewfull=1#post5727726

It makes mince meat of how that 4231 is set up and the generic flaws that said system has within the match engine (player quality not withstanding).

Football is all about opinions so if you can disagree with me without insulting me that would be appreciated ;)

But to me that looks about right. Images can be deceiving so pkm with the full flow might do one better, but it looks like he tries to challenge, gets beaten and then tries to get to a recovery point where he can block off the guy who just beat him. He just doesn't have the legs for it and Benzema is pretty nippy (also dribbling speeds can be a little too quick in the match engine in my opinion). Pretty standard defensive behaviour in my opinion, which you are free to disagree with.

On the other hand what the other defending player does is completely broken.

Tactically speaking you aren't half aggressive in that moment. Are you the second coming of Keegan? ;)

I partially second this... but I personally think it can be this and a combination of other factors, that may apply to varying degress:

- closing down is set to high... players 22, 24 and 2 went to close Benzema... this left dzeko in loads of space... the lesson is not to over close down good players and attack at the same time

- players have a poor understanding of your tactics... are struggling to understand thier exact role and function... not settled fully.... players not favoured personel.... dont speak the common language

- im going to say this in capital letters because i believe many people wholesomely fail to realise this YOU CANNOT HAVE A SUCCESSFUL TACTIC WITHOUT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT YOUR PLAYERS ATTRIBUTES AND ITS RELATIVE COMPARISON TO THE OPPONENT... attributes of the players... poor teamwork means they will not work together as a unit... poor positioning means they would be in the wrong position... poor decisions means they would decide wrongly when to close or stand off.... important matches vs consistency affect the actual attribute levels... concentration levels affect overall performance... etc etc etc

- benzema is lightning in speed... its advisable to use the OI never in marking... this means stand off.... in that position, the CB on Benzema was out of position.... VERY out of position... benzema had yards of space to run into

-dzeko is and i quote from 20/20 scout reports a force to be reconned with in the air... it could be that the CB 2 realised there is no point in marking dzeko and would leave air balls to the keeper and would concentrate on cutting out low crosses... OR was just zonal marking.... OR presumed the LB (also far out of position) would cover as his defence partner was way out of position...

- although it may not look like it... the situation was two attackers on two defenders.... i dont know about you... but in high level football... it is a very favourable for the attacking team.... especially when they are world class in benzema and dzeko... both are excellent off the ball... both fantastic anticipation... at least reasonable or better on both feet....

- what is the moral of the players and general happiness... superb condition or just okay... what is their motivation in game.... were they playing fired up or just playing ok....

- notice that at the beginning of the move... your team pushed very high up... this is almost suicidal against any team with pace... in fact im willing to bet that if you had a scout report on the opposition your scout would warn you of either the pace of benzema or the aerial ability of dzeko...

- if you play a narrow formation and use your full backs to provide width... you should not be too surprosed to see them push up quite a bit.... hence the need for two DMs OR a slow tempo building from the back thats wary of counter on the wings... NOTICE: that you had two players offside.... madrid did not.... to complicate the issue, it is possible that you dropped too deep.... or that your midfield is just vastly insuperior...

This is a very quick response but I dont want my meaning to be missed... theres always more than one problem or issue affecting any move.... dont be too hasty in diagnosing the problem.... the issue could be quite simple or deeply complex... hence why i only partially agree with isuckatFM

i recommend looking at cleons thread on player attributes

i recommend looking at cleons thread on player attributes

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/216801-Explanation-of-the-Impact-of-Player-Attributes-During-Match-Play

I just realised you were playing Madrid.. they play counter with a purpose of drawing you in and beating you on the counter... FACT! As can be seen from the first picture in which your defence was pushed up very high... madrid succeeded and you were handsomely owned...

your formation has a very weak defence and defence-side midfield.... there are no numbers to contain Madrids creative tallent (contain because its very hard to equal let alone beat)... or help in defence when needed... once benzema got behind one of your CBs the rest was academic

notice that madrid pushed high up... this simple touch line instruction did two things very beautifully... firstly, it reduced the space of your midfield, significantly cutting out viable passing options... secondly, it left your forwards in an offside position, meaning you could not play long balls... OR they played the offside trap very well, which had the equivalent effect.

I have concded a hell of alot of goals is there are any tips to concede less at the back? trust me i have had a good 'ol look on here as well

First of all a tactic that lets Ilan win the golden boot needs to be very good at creating chances upfront, of course the risk/reward system involves that being solid defensively is not so easy, notably with that shape.

But I'd like to know more about your other settings: width, d-line, tempo, strategy, and closing down above all, to give a proper answer.

Maybe using a normal width could help, or using the "play narrower " shout when needed.

My second advice would be to discharge Da Costa, too slow for this level, you need to have quicker centre backs, at least one to cover the holes, with good anticipation too, so to be able to read the game well.

Another thing, this tactic could be very effective to launch quick counters, a good way to get more cover but being still dangerous upfont.

If you use the wizard try to play through the middle and use the "pass into space" shout.

Do you adopt the same approach for home/away games?

I do operate the same for home and away but the amount of goals i score or concede doesnt appear to make a big difference in terms of wether most goals are scored away etc. I dont tend to adjust the d-line etc and keep it set as set by computer as in standard, counter, defensive etc etc.

I have found a potential set up for centre backs on another forum and its meant to be really good. set up is one centre back on man mark and the other on zonal. Both mark tight. Closing down, mentality plus creative freedom 4 or 5. (all done individually as in with the box ticked not set by the tactic creator

Archived