Crossing never works

Hi, I'm having a consistent problem in every match I play. My AM keeps telling me that my crossing isn't working, whether I float them in or drill them, or even just set it to default. Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong? My wingers are pretty good at crossing so I don't see what the issue could be.

In my experience you shouldn't listen to his advice about crossing. It's vague and doesn't actually give you any information.

What you should do is pay attention to:

a) who is wasting crosses

b) who the crosses seem to targeted for

People who are wasting crosses should be told not to try them. If you're crosses are being aimed at your 5'6" poacher with jumping of 8, that could be another problem. For instance: Let's say you have a 2 striker formation with a TM and a poacher. The TM is on the left and the poacher is on the right. To ensure that your crossers are aiming for the right player, you could tell them to aim for the target man and supply to head. I have found it's better however to tell your RIGHT WINGER to aim for FAR POST, and your LEFT WINGER to aim for NEAR POST. This ensures that the cross will be aimed for your target man and not just thrown in to whoever is in the box. Also note that you will want your target man to run from deep, although by default I think they are told to rarely do this by the TC.

If you get the hang of all of this, you should also pay attention to the opposition. If one side of their backline is weak in jumping and heading, you could try pumping that side full of crosses if you have an excellent target (or two). I have had success overloading the box with an MC set to RFD - often who was a converted DMC and had great jumping and heading.

This is why you shouldn't simply listen to the AM when he says you aren't connecting crosses. There are many things to think about and he offers no advice on any of them.

You have to look and see what the problem is. Are your crosses being cleared away by centerbacks who are taller than your strikers? Do you have ample targets in the box? Does your winger hit the crosses well, or are they being blocked by a fullback?

It's not going to be the same reason in every situation, and some reasons have more obvious fixes than others.

Archived