Dealing with a 4-5-1 formation?

I play an attacking 4-3-3 formation, and have had excellent success in the league, winning it 3 times consecutively.

However, when I come up against a team playing a 4-5-1 formation, such as Liverpool or Barcelona, not only are my attacks nullified but my defence seem completely over-run.

What I want to know is whether there is any specific method/formation that can be deployed against a 4-5-1 formation that comprehensively deal with the threat?

I recommend these actions:

- Tight mark the 3 upfront (FC, AML and AMR) and show onto wrong foot;

- Always close down the DMC, show onto wrong foot and hard tackling;

- Hard tackling and show onto wrong foot the two MC´s;

- Limit the forward runs of your full-backs; always use defend or support. Be careful if you choose attack because your team can leave huge gaps that opponents wingers can exploit.

Hope it work for you.

Produced a MUCH better performance using these instructions - didn't seem anywhere near as weak in defence and I was unlucky to only get the draw (conceded from set piece)

Personally I'm still sceptical that a 4-3-3 is the best base formation to tackle a 4-5-1, and perhaps something else would be more successful, but I didn't want to sacrifice attacking power for defensive stability (just the way I play to be honest)

Thanks for your help though, will definitely use this in the future

Maybe you need to change your formation (not much) to mirror Barça or other team playing a 433. But hey...a draw with Barça is always a good result and the goal was conceded from a set piece. If I were you I was surely happy with that result.

Cheers

Archived