West Ham vs Stronger Teams

Hey fellow FM peeps!

I really need some advice here..

I seem to suffer with big teams such as Liverpool and Chelsea, etc when playing as West Ham United.

Now, obviously, I fully understand the fact that their players outclass mine in every single way. But 23 shots for them against a measly 3 shots by me?

Nothing seems to ever work, in terms of strategy. Control, my team loses the ball often to the much more skillful opposition defenders, Attacking / Overload is usually a death-wish that offers the opposing big team a chance to counter-attack and rip my GK's net apart. Counter-attacking simply doesn't work, as my two attackers Alessandro Diamanto or Dean Ashton quickly have the ball taken away from them before they get a chance to run past the defenders kept back by the other team. And playing on Defensive or Contain is simply an invitation for the bigger teams to launch shots on my goal to their hearts content as their passes cut through my CBs like swiss cheese

How do you usually play when you are a smaller team?

Oh, and one more Q :p My assistant Manager tells me "It looks like Kieron Dyer is used to playing a more direct game today" or "It looks like Scott Parker is not used to closing down opponents as often as asked to today", does that usually mean I have to set a player's advanced individual settings of "Closing down" or "Passing Style" higher or lower, or does it simply mean the Role I assigned him is simply not working out?

Would appreciate your answers regarding these questions! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing seems to ever work, in terms of strategy. Control, my team loses the ball often to the much more skillful opposition defenders, Attacking / Overload is usually a death-wish that offers the opposing big team a chance to counter-attack and rip my GK's net apart. Counter-attacking simply doesn't work, as my two attackers Alessandro Diamanto or Dean Ashton quickly have the ball taken away from them before they get a chance to run past the defenders kept back by the other team. And playing on Defensive or Contain is simply an invitation for the bigger teams to launch shots on my goal to their hearts content as their passes cut through my CBs like swiss cheese

Try playing something different looks nothing is working at all.

IMO defending is very difficult in FM10 just try to attack or retain possesion.

How do you usually play when you are a smaller team?

This is what I do

Very Strong Teams - Balanced

Equal or weaker teams - Control

Punching bags - Atacking

My assistant Manager tells me "It looks like Kieron Dyer is used to playing a more direct game today" or "It looks like Scott Parker is not used to closing down opponents as often as asked to today", does that usually mean I have to set a player's advanced individual settings of "Closing down" or "Passing Style" higher or lower, or does it simply mean the Role I assigned him is simply not working out?

Bold part, but your ass man could be wrong. Judge by how they play in 2D/3D.

Sometimes a change in formation is required, for example if you are playing a 4-4-2 diamond against these teams you will most probably be thrashed but change to a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 and you have alot more control over the midfield due to numbers and positioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, totally forgot about this topic.. I guess I posted it in PC / MAC General Discussion and it was moved here..

Either way, thanks for the tips guys.. I somehow managed to place 4th in the next season.

This season, though, is a nightmare.. I'm seriously frustrated. Bought Sandro (Awesome, young, Brazilian DM) Jonjo Shevley, Christian Benitez (ST), Eden Hazard (VERY good and young AM), Christian Poulsen and Javad Nekounam (DM/CM), Christian Ribiero (LB), Sotiris Ninis (AM), Kieran Richardson (AM), those are the purchases I've made since my last post here.

Yesterday, I think, was quite possibly my WORST FM day: 0-0 against Chelsea, 0-3 loss against OM (Olimpique de Marseille), 0-0 draw against Coventry that ended in a defeat for me in PKs, and 1-5 loss against Sunderland.... Simply atrocious!

I try switching my 4-4-2 into various forms when I'm being pummeled into the abyss of defeat (4-1-2-1-2, 4-2-2-2, 4-1-3-2) but to no avail. I'm obviously screwing my tactics up somewhere, I just don't know WHERE!

Alessandro Diamanti, who often would score 12-16 goals for me in a season, is on a goal drought for the past 7 games. Actually, most of my strikers are doing a horrible job. That one goal I scored against Sunderland was a solo effort by Eden Hazard, and he was my Attackng Midfielder

Archived