Relegation Fighters - MLS Game Progress Thread. [*Established Clan*]

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas Success Continues....

The new session began with the mighty FC away to the surprising Metrostars. Not that manager Stu was surprised, he predicted way back when that they would be much improved this year.

Making Short work of the Metrostars...

Dallas kicked off the game resting star defender Eddie Robinson, star keeper Zack "Mr.Dallas' Thornton and striker EJ. Confidence was running high in the Dallas camp, and the feeling was the result could be had without needing the int'l stars.

Peguero duly dismissed those theories with a well-taken goal in the 15th minute. At least Dallas was consistent in continuing to go behind early.

Half-time saw the ringing of the changes as Eire int'l OBrein parted for the appearance of EJ. EJ soon put his stamp on the game as Peguero fired in his second, 11 minutes into the half.

The goal triggered more changes for the Dallas side as they brought on Gaven & Davis for underperforming Magee and Pareja. EJ finally did something as he provided the cross that Twellman headed home for his first goal as a Dallas player. 1-2, 69 minutes...

Dallas pressed on, but disaster struck as DeRosario scored on the counter with the game all but over, 1-3, 89 minutes gone.

But the plucky Dallas players followed their manager's shining example and never gave up, although Behnke's strike in the 92nd was never going to be more than a consolation. Gaven was once again the provider, showing glimpses of the superstar he is destined to become. 2-3 Metrostars and a disapointing start to the session.

Gnawing on New England's carcass...

The next match became a must win as Dallas faced eastern cellar dweller New England. Dropping points to these guys at home would be unthinkable. Manager Stu pulled out all the stops, inserting Davis into the starting 11, as well as giving Jordan Stone his first start since the first game of the year!

The dastardly Rev's showed their true colours by scything down Davis on the sixth minute mark. As Davis lay writhing in agony, Rev's Herron swooped in for an unsportsmanlike finish as the Dallas players waited for him to kick the ball into touch. 0-1 down, six minutes in.

To rectify the situation, (and to learn those New Englanders some good manners), Dallas brought on combative Ronnie OBrein. If anyone could, Ronnie would teach them respect.

New England continued their form after the break when Cancela brought down Gaven in the box. Twellman duly despatched the penalty and the sides were level.

The 62nd minute saw Stu bring on Magee and Ashe for EJ and Oughton, an inspired substitution if there ever was one. Three minutes later Rev Gbandi brought down Ashe outside the area. Stone took the kick, straight to Magee who sent the home side ahead. 2-1.

The game ended with Dallas unlucky not to score more. O'Brein was named MOM for his efforts in quelling the cheapshotting Rev's.

more to follow...

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

quakes.gif

5 Games Unbeaten....5 Games Without Winning

The draw fest continued at Spartan stadium as the 'Quakes amassed 5 straight draws and wasted a huge homestand that still has 2 games remaining.

Scoring is still a problem for the boys from Cali, however, Clark has moved to address this issue with the arrival of John Wolff (the first in a two part trade that will also see Pablo Mastroeni move to KC for Chris Klein) for Santino Quaranta. SQ never impressed the boss after his recent arrival and the youngster was allowed to leave in the hopes of resurrecting his career. The Uruguayan continues to be unhappy and surely Clark will have to bite the bullet soon and allow the marksman to leave. "Right now he's wasting the air around here" said Clark after another lacklustre performance."He's been capped 10 times by Uruguay - thats no 4th rate side - yet he's struggling badly for us. He's got until Josh Wolff is fit to change my mind."

Wolff injured himself in the first training session after signing with the new club. He'll be out for 4 week. "Fecking typical".

SJ have drawn against the best and worst in the league. 8 draws out of 11 games is a testament to the parity in the league "i don't care what anyone else says". With only 1 win, SJ have the worst record in the West, and 9th overall out of 10 teams. Conversely, only runaway leaders DC have less defeats than SJ's two. The 'Quakes are also 5th best in GD.

The 7 goals conceded is testament to new found solidity at the back. "I said we'd have a tight D this year and I think the fact that we're 2nd bottom but have the 3rd best goals-against record speaks for itself. We're nobody's fool at the back, if we could just start scoring we'd be right up there".

The last session included not one, but two agonising late equalizers to deprive SJ of 4 much needed additional points. The two goals conceded in two shots OT against KC was the only defensive blip this year for San Jose. 'Even DC's Arsenal upfront couldn't get more than one past us. The collapse against KC was uncharacteristic and totally unacceptable".

The team has struggled to get players to man sports their own, too many players are on the fringes right now and a few of the vets (or even rookies) need to step up and help take SJ to the next level.

In other news, SGR signed a three year deal. He may not be as prolific as last year, but his 4 goals in MLS so far (5 in all competitions) is good for T-5th.

"Only Joe Cannon and Ramon Ramirez can honestly look me in the ey and say they're having a decent season. Everyone else? Well, they need to buck their ideas up - big time."

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Breaking Dallas news...

Dallas manager Stu announces key loan signings of Michael Owen and David Beckham. The pair are expected to lead DAllas to new heights...

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

picking up where we left off

Dallas next faced a tricky home date with Columbus...that they promptly lost 0-1. The game was only remarkable for having the 22nd diferent Dallas player making an appearance for the 2005 squad, in only the eighth match of the season. Ty Maurin came in for the struggling Jordan Stone at half in a switch of young central midfielders...this left only young keeper Taylor and young DC Danny Hall as the only members of the squad to have not yet played...Zizi Roberts got the goal for Columbus on the stroke of halftime off of a cornerkick, just another in a disturbing trend of setpieces to go against the Dallas side...Eddie Robinson earned the MOM for 'winning everything in the air', except, notably, the matchwinner.

After facing every team in the MLS once, Dallas found themselves with the stellar record of 2 wins, 2 ties, and 5 losses...

Dallas then traveled to DC to face a side that had a propensity for violence. No less than three Dallas players left the game with injury with all to miss five days or more with their ailments...Behnke, Oughton, and Twellman were all felled by the capital's thugs...the game ended 0-0 despite DC scoring in the 92nd minute, only to be waved off for offsides...it was a fair return for a Dallas team that played the last 26 minutes with ten men...after the game all-star defender Robinson received the MLS player of the week award...keeper Zack Thornton earned MOM for his efforts...though suspensions were warranted for DC, none came about...

Dallas then entertained the Metrostars in the return of the home and home. Substitute Magee got the winner in the 81st from Stone after a nice buildup from fellow sub Twellman...after the game manager Stu remarked he was getting tired of his kids playing great as subs but crap as starters...DC Jolley was played out of positon for the game at DMR and surprisingly enough, didn't impress...it was a fair result for Dallas, who finished the session 2-2-1...the MLS was proving to be a very tight league...

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Getting Better

"Well, I'm happier than I was, but I'm not exactly in MLS Nirvana right now". A run of W3 D1 L1 saw the Quakes pick up some much needed points. "I don't care what anyone says, the West is strong from 1st place to 5th place. We don't have a New England or Metrostars to rack points up against week in-week out. Everything we get against a conference rival is hard earned."

SJ had extended their unbeaten run to 7 games before KC snuffed them out. "One defeat in 10 games? I'll take that" said Clark at the end of the session. The run of W3 D6 L1 helped stablibize the ship and kept Clark firmly in the good books at SJ.

"It's tough down here, we have some very passionate fans....just not enough of them. You can see we're adrift at the bottom of the attendance charts and that has a real impact on the type of players we can bring in. That said, I'm pleased to announce the bosman signing of Andre Muri, a young Norweigan international. I hope he'll help us out at the back where we've struggle to find an effective partnership, despite being 2nd bets in defeats (2) and T2nd in goals conceded. He'll be with the team for the 2006 season."

Clark was relatively quiet on the transfer front last session, but did manage to complete the second part of the Josh Wolff/Chris Klein trade. Santino Quaranta had already departed, but Pablo was sent to KC for CK in the middle of the last session.

"Oddly, I put this deal together when we were playing 4-4-2, now we've switched to a 4-3-1-2, with 3 tight in the middle, I don't need the winger on the right. That said, Chris is quality and he will definitely have a place in my team, be it on the right of the trio, in the hole or up front."

Josh Wolff looks to be a solid signing and he and SGR look to be the partnership that Clark will use for the rest of the season. "Adu still isn't ready, and he has been the victim of some bully-boy tactics lately. The poor kid has had both his jaw and some ribs broken this season. Frankly, I'm surprised the police haven't been called in yet. This kid is tough. He just wants to play soccer." The Wolff situation all but signals an end to Uruguayan Fabian Estoyanoff's short time with the club. 'He's been listed and we're looking to sell. It's just not worked out for him here, 3 goals from a player of his calibre is insulting my intelligence. I have Wolff, Adu, Greer and Jason Kreis all coveting his starting place. He's done here."

International call-ups have been a problem, as has morale for certain players. "Pablo Mastroeni was beginning to become something of a lockerroom cancer, mouthing off about how he had lost faith in me. Well, I didn't see anything on the field that would give him the right to criticise anyone. Even when he wasn't away on international duty, his commitment to this side was second rate. I don't think he'll be in Bruce Arena's plans for long with an attitude like that. I'm just sad I wasn't able to sell him to Europe rather than a West coast rival."

"SGR has started to look like himself lately, Ramon is back to his mercurial best. Joe Cannon has been a man-mountain this season so far. Clint Dempsey has made the new MLC position his own and Richard Mulrooney has shown how versatile he is for us playing at MRC, DMC and DR in the last couple of weeks. "

"Yeah, it's not all good. Jimmy Conrad, Brian Namoff and Todd Dunnivant continue to disappoint. If they don't pick it up soon I'll have to look to shift them. I'm going to need some roster spaces heading into the draft. I had a young Belgian DL ready to sign but had no room. Dunnivant better realise that his time is running out and he'll be traded soon. I also have to make space for Andre Muri."

With the team in better form Clark has some right to be optimistic. Dallas aren't out of it yet, but at half way through his 2nd season, Clark has started to make real progress...."I don't want to be the next Ricky Lung after all!"

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Manager Stu expresses disgust with young superstar Eddie Johnson...

"Piece of crap would be putting it kindly,"proclaimed Stu today,"The guy did nothing the last half of last year, and he's done nothing halfway through this year. I would expect a player of his quality to do so much more. (He hasn't scored in a calendar year!) Its time for him to sit on the bench and learn from the other players; I won't be putting up with his mediocre performances anymore."

Dallas fans rushed to EJ's aid, calling manager Stu a 'heartless charlatan'. 'We're not happy with the manager's criticism of EJ," announced the head of the Dallas supporters group, "Me and my brother are right peeved...and so is the other supporter."

"He's still just a boy, and he'll be here long after Stu is gone."

What seemed to trigger the ruckus was EJ's announcement of 'loss of faith in the manager's ability'...

"Unprofessional little snot."Stu concluded,"If he wasn't so talented I'd send him to San Jose like I did with the rest of my deadwood."

In happier news for Dallas, defender Eddie Robinson was named MLS player of the month for May. In unhappier news, ER announced his displeasure with the manager...in unhappiest news ER broke his collarbone and will be sidelined for a month.

"And if he speaks out again, he'll have another 'training accident'. Erm...What I mean to say, is, he's a big part of our team and we'll dearly miss his presence at the back." Stu explained.

Compounding Dallas defensive woes was stalwart Craig Waibel going down with a dislocated jaw at the same time. Two thirds of Dallas's vaunted triumvirate of DC's were now injured at the same time. Manager Stu was not impressed...

"They should throw that San Jose Al in prison,"Stu blustered,"First he breaks my Waibel, then he takes out Behnke. The b******. At least we won on the scoreboard, where it counts. I pride myself on playing a gentlemanly style of football...its a shame there's a shortage of gentlemen to compete against in the MLS."

Stu took time to offer his condolences to the canned Ricky Lung.

"I said from the beginning that he would never last and that he would be lucky to make the allstar break this season...poor bugger, in waaaay over his head...but I do like the look of this Ricky Lung II character, he seems a 180 degree turnaround...or... is he more of an 360 degree turnaround?"

• SI Staff

fox_soccer_channel(userimag.gif

MLS WRAP STATS UPDATE:

In the latest edition of FSC's MLS Wrap, John Harkes made some interesting analysis of the state of the MLS at the halfway point.

*9 of the 10 top scorers are foreign. This is in stark contrast to last year where some of the leading lights were nationals like Eddie Johnson. Taylor Twellman, Clint Mathis and Pat Noonan have all being almost totally anonymous this season so far.

*San Jose have only scored one goal on the road in 6 contests. Thankfully (for them) they've only conceded two, so are W1 D4 L1 in their 6 road outings.

*DC is clearly leading the way. Despite a slight drop in form, they lead in points, goals scored, fewest conceded, goal difference, top average (Ben Olsen 7.64), top assists (Marko Dinjar, 6), and the 2nd top scorer in Stoyko Sakaliev, (9 goals).

*Top attendance goes to the surging Colorado Rapids with 24,332 more than 2k ahead of the Metrostars. SJ bring up the rear with just 12,938 - 3.5k adrift of 9th placed KC.

*New England on the field frustrations are well illustrated when you look at the 'Crime Count'. NE leads the way in cautions with 3 of the top 4 worst offenders, and 4 in the top 10. Andy Herron (6), Chris Gbandi (5), Fabian Taylor (5) and Rusty Pierce (4) were the offenders.

*Much maligned Georgi Gakhokidze is currently the trickiest winger in the league with an average of 4.35 dribbles a game.

*Goalies are dominating the Man of the Man Awards, with Zach Thorton & Jon Busch (4 each) leading the way in T1. Kevin Hartman & Joe Cannon are T3 with 3 nominations each.

All this and more can be found in the latest Relegation Fighters Gazette. Just follow this link....

http://www.fmusa4you.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas match synopsis

Dallas entered the session with nine goal and 12 points. They left it five games later with 10 goals and 16 points. Clearly not the session hoped for...

0-1 Columbus

The first game was away to a tricky Columbus side. Lagos grabbed an early goal in the 4th minute for Columbus; and then the two sides proceeded to kick the ball around the midfield for 86 minutes. Keeper Zack Thornton was clearly the goat, conceding the goal on one of only two shots he faced. Dallas forwards were also to blame, not finding the way through despite a ultra defensive Columbus calling them on. Sadly, Dallas could not muster a single shot on target. If there was any silver lining to the game, it was that five Dallas regulars were away on int'l duty and unavailable for the match.

1-0 Kansas City

Dallas came into this home tie with some foreboding, remebering the 3-1 shellacking at the hands of the Wizards a month prior. Their trepidation was not helped by the fact that six regulars were away with their nations...it was time for someone to step up.

Zack Thornton grabbed the team by the scruff of the neck and willed them to victory, (perhaps feeling bad about costing the team the points in the previous game). Thornton was named man of the match, for keeping the braying KC hordes at bay. In the 70th minute, (quite against the run of play), Behnke left three defenders standing and fired a low cross to the near post...arriving there was Joe Max, who burst the back of the net from six yards out. The fans went nuts, and Dallas had their first win of the session.

0-1 Los Angeles

Dalls then went to visit LA, keen to build on their first meeting, a 1-0 win. Sadly, it was not to happen again. The usually infaillable Waibel tripped Victorine in the box, and Vic made no mistake in taking his own spotkick. 0-1, 24 minutes in. The rest of the game was another horrible midfield holding battle.

0-0 San Jose

A really horrible game. Only mentionable for the violent maiming of Waibel and Behnke.

Manager Stu then left the session, allowing his assman to take on Lee's assman in a match up of assman v assman. A predictable 0-1 scoreline followed.

A stellar five match tally of 1 win 1 tie and 3 losses for the Dallas side.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

METROS MIDSEASON WRAP UP

After a solid start for the second season under head coach Ricky Lung, the Metros seem to have slowed down. In fact, by looking at their recent form, it reminds people of the 2004 Metros.

Just before the half way point, the management of the Metros had made the decision that it is time for the team to have a new leader. They fired head coach Ricky Lung.

Shortly after that, Ricky Lung came in with a new resume, and the Metros decided to give him one more shot. They hired Ricky for the second time, but this time, he will name himself as Ricky Lung II.

They start under coach Lung II was not a start that fans and management want. Coach Lung II lost his first two games: a 3-0 road lost to Chicago and a 1-0 home lost to Colorado.

The Metros seem to have a problem scoring goals again. Opening day striker Brian Ching scored on the first game, and since then he has not find the net. The only bright spot of the first half for the Metros is their offseason acquisition, Hati young forward Jean-Phillipe Peguero. He had scored 7 goals so far this season for the Metros.

Although the recent free fall drops the Metros down to the 4th spot on the East, they will probably still get in the playoff consider the display the New England had put up this season. The NE Revolution still did not win a game after 16 tries, and the departure of head coach Nick, people start comparing them with the 2004 Metrostars.

Despite all those talk, there still half of the season to go, we will see how the East develop.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

METROS MIDSEASON WRAP UP

After a solid start for the second season under head coach Ricky Lung, the Metros seem to have slowed down. In fact, by looking at their recent form, it reminds people of the 2004 Metros.

Just before the half way point, the management of the Metros had made the decision that it is time for the team to have a new leader. They fired head coach Ricky Lung.

Shortly after that, Ricky Lung came in with a new resume, and the Metros decided to give him one more shot. They hired Ricky for the second time, but this time, he will name himself as Ricky Lung II.

They start under coach Lung II was not a start that fans and management want. Coach Lung II lost his first two games: a 3-0 road lost to Chicago and a 1-0 home lost to Colorado.

The Metros seem to have a problem scoring goals again. Opening day striker Brian Ching scored on the first game, and since then he has not find the net. The only bright spot of the first half for the Metros is their offseason acquisition, Hati young forward Jean-Phillipe Peguero. He had scored 7 goals so far this season for the Metros.

Although the recent free fall drops the Metros down to the 4th spot on the East, they will probably still get in the playoff consider the display the New England had put up this season. The NE Revolution still did not win a game after 16 tries, and the departure of head coach Nick, people start comparing them with the 2004 Metrostars.

Despite all those talk, there still half of the season to go, we will see how the East develop.

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United Continue to Lead the East

United are still leading the Eastern Conference despite cooling off after their stellar start of six wins and one draw from seven matches. It is still difficult to bear United but Chicago and Columbus have started to get closer in the standings thanks to their improved form.

Internal problems may be the cause of United's slowdown since Leonardo Gonzalez was recently criticized for his poor form following his 3 match ban for his early sending off against United's 3-0 loss to Chicago. The team had to do without the services of Ivan Robelto for 4 motnhs and Carlos Fernando Figueroa for one month, but with both these players returning to the team, United are likely to terrorize defenses once again.

Once again a large number of United players were called up to the All Star game with Nick Rimando, Leonardo Gonzalez, Mike Petke, Ricardo Clark, Dema Kovalenko and Stoyko Sakaliev starting and C.J. Brown as an unused reserve. Sakaliev and Kovalenko scored the Eastern All Stars' two goals in the losing after extra time and Mike Petke was sent off at the 101st minute for a second bookable offense after arguing with Mr. Banica's dubious decision to award the Western All Stars a free kick right outside the area.

United have 9 game remaining in the regular season including a 4 game home stretch to face MetroStars, Columbus and San Jose back to back.

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Steady as she goes.....

A run of W2 L2 added 6pts on the campaign and helped move SJ away from the dreaded draw rut they had fallen into as midseason had approached. "2 wins = 6pts, 4 draws = 4. It's not rocket science as to why I'll tkae these results over the draws."

Clark felt a little hard done by, in typical fashion his side was undone by the two teams that deserved no more than a tie. "We have a horrible knack of conceding on our first shot against.....and our second. Either we're airtight or resemble a sieve. That's no slur on big Joe C, just how I see it."

Josh Wolff blasted a couple of goals against his former employer KC as SJ came from behind to win 3-1. The other victory came against FC Dallas, who showed why they are one of the worst teams in the league.

We're up to third now, and with 10 games to go for us, aiming for that top seed should not be out of the question. It's more likely, however, we'll be playing as or against the 2nd seed like last year. After our poor start that's acceptable."

SJ we're well represented at the recent All Star Game in Columbus, with 7 of the 19 players from the West plying their trade at Club level at Spartan Stadium.

SGR (2) and Mulrooney scored as the West ran out 4-2 winners. Pope, Vagenas and SGR started, with Estoyanoff (wtf?!) and Mulrooney coming off the bench. Henrickson and youngster Vandenborre were unused subs. Former Quake Pablo Mastroeni also started for the West.

"It just proves we've got the players here, we just need to get this talented group of individuals playing well together".

In a couple of transfers SJ dealt unhappy Jimmy Conrad to KC for a 2nd Rounder and added veteran spanish star Hierro. 'Don't get many bigger names than that. Even at 37 he can do a job for us this year, perhaps even next". Clark also attempted to bring in some other names (Jardel and Muller) but was having a few roster issues before he is able to confirm anything. He also made an audacious bid for Patrick Kluivert which met with an almost ineviitable snub. "He didn't even want to talk to us and I offered everything we had. We knew he was available. What can I say? It was worth a shot?'

Apparently not.

• SI Staff

fire.gif

Back on Track

IN: Davy Arnaud free transfer to add more striking depth

Out: Troy Davak and Scott Buete they weren't doing enough to break into the first team.

After a poor stretch of form, a reserve Fire squad travelled to Long Island for the US Cup 3rd round. We came through comfortably 3-1 with a brace from Ante and Arnaud.

Next up was the Crew's visitl to the treacherous Soldier Field. Early on we though that everything was going to plan, Ralph scored what turned out to be an offside goal. After that, it went downhill quickly, Buddle broke the offside trap and the Crew had the lead. Then Manny Lagos punished our trademark persistent fouling, TWICE :shock: and we were in a three goal hole. Davy Arnaud pulled one back, then we made a tactical gamble. Justin Mapp took on a free role in the centre of the park, Gakhokidze made way for Razov and Ralph dropped into the midfield. Razov took the game by the scruff of the neck and he singlehandedly dragged us level. It was a Razov inspired fightback and he showed that there are still some unaired episodes of the Ante Razov show lying around.

Against Dallas we won with 2 goals five minutes either side of the halftime whistle. First, Armas finished a fluid passing move and Joseph rose at the near post to head in a corner. Dallas, as an attacking force, didn't create much and USMNT strikers EJ and Twellman were living on scraps. Shockingly, EJ hasn't scored all season. Twellman grabbed a lifeline for Dallas with 20 minutes to go finishing a wonderfully crafterd move, but it was nothing more than a consolation goal.

After a nice home stretch we went ito DC to face arguably the best side in MLS. DC got off to a great start Alva netted after 29 minutes, a move that craved our defense to shreds. DC looked dangerous going forward and we rode our luck at times, as we struggled to get going. The breakthrough came after 69 minutes, All Star centre half Mike Petke was off the field recieving treatment for a head wound, DC failed to clear the ball out of play and Mapp picked it up on the left side and created a chance for Boucicaut. He nicely slotted it past Rimando the ball nestling just inside the far post. It finished 1-1 and we came away with a stolen road point.

Fire 3-0 Revs. An improving Rev's team came to town, and after 13 minutes we broke quickly with Razov and he found Arnaud in the box to give us the lead. Then on the stroke of halftime Razov took advantage of some sloppy defending, he put away the rebound from Arnaud's fierce shot, this was a chance created by the vision of Guevara. Right after the break it was back to business, Razov headed Gakhokidze's cross home on 49 minutes. The Rev's mini-revival took a dent with this defeat, but the new manager still thinks that he can catch the Metro's for tha last playoff spot.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

GETTING BACK ON TRACK?

After a struggling start with coach Lung II, they seems to get back on track a bit. They got a point out of the two games against Columbus and DC with the absent of coach Lung due to some off-court emergency. They played them tough, they came up short with a 3-2 lost to Columbus, and they fighted bravely against DC and both team all squared at 2 apiece. After that was another tough opponent, SJ coming in town, but the Metros hang on just enough to get all 3 points.

Just when they thought they have some momentum going, the dead last NE gave them a surprise. NE had just sacked their manager at that time, they didn't play well at all the whole season, so the Metros thought they will get out there and take 3 points home easily, but it was totally wrong. The Revolution came out and socred two early goals, the Metros pulled back within one mid-way through second, and they pushed all the players up and tried to get the tying goal, this lead to two more during injury time, and make it 4-1 the final score.

NE is getting closer on the Metros for the final playoff spot in the East.

Will the Metros hang on? We will find out soon.

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United lose striker for the rest of the regular season

Two consecutive away losses to Los Angeles by the score of 1-0 caused a dip in morale for United players, but once again fit left winger Ivan Robelto started to make a strong claim for a role in the first eleven.

Home game against New England was a silent encounter with the bottom dwellers defending tightly for a draw and hoping to catch the MetroStars napping for the last playoff spot. The match ended 0-0 with little for either side.

Away match with United's fierce rivals Chicago was an important match since a Chicago win would mean that the two teams would be level on points for the first time since the first match of the season. Both managers tinkered with the lineups and formations to start the match with a 3-man defense proving popular for both sides.

After a quiet first half, United caught a break with a quick counter started by Carlos Fernando Figueroa and finished by Piero Alva. Moments later, a questionable penalty was awarded to Chicago when Nick Rimando parried the ball away from Damani Ralph's feet only for Ralph to take a dive after losing the ball. The refree, 30 yards away from the play, decided to award the penalty rather than showing a card to Ralph. Amado Guevara converted to level the score. Chicago looked unpenetrable in the back but Ivan Robelto delivered a precise cross to Stoyko Sakaliev who headed in United's winner.

At home, United was once again able to defeat the MetroStars thanks to a hat trick by Stoyko Sakaliev. The MetroStars looked extremely shaky going forward as United's pressing won many balls in the midfield to set up the four goals scored by United in the match.

After the match, United manager was shocked by the news that Sakaliev would be out for the next month recovering from a groin injury. "Stoyko hasn't had this much room to run against any other opponent this season. Perhaps he got a bit overzealous and stretched himself too far. Piero Alva is just as capable of leading this team's attack. We will miss Stoyko but he will be back for the playoffs when these matches matter." United manager commented.

United have guaranteed qualification for the playoffs for the second straight season and look likely to grap the home field advantage in the East this time around.

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Clark Tenders Resignation

Clark speaks candidly at a press conference held at Spartan Stadium.

"The players have stopped responding. I've had a few question my ability, I shipped some out, but the actions on the pitch speak for themselves. 6 defeats and a draw in our last 7 league and cup games is beyond unacceptable".

"I don't understand. We have the personnel, we have the quality. I think it's time for a change and I told the board as much. For now they've told me they're happy and confident I can turn it around. I'm not so sure. If we miss the playoffs, which is a real possibility, I will step down. "

Clark has tried, in vein, to stop the slide. He ousted Fabian Estoyanoff and his dressing room cancer to the Rapids for a 1st rounder. They added former Brazillian international Jardel, arguably the biggest name to ever grace MLS, but the 32 year old has not helped. (Fernando Hierro was reluctantly allowed to leave to accommodate the striker, despite Hierro being both affordable and solid in his time with the Quakes. "Maybe someone else will pick him up. He's still got lots to offer.")

"We're stacked. I've got multiple first round picks, Freddy Adu and a team of internationals. It's hard to walk away from, but I think it's the course I may have to take. New England are looking for a manager and I've never hidden the fact that they're my favourite team here in the MLS. I'll talk to the Krafts and see if they'd be interested in giving me another shot in this league.

"We've started making average teams look good, and good teams like world beaters. We're holding our own in every game, yet somehow, we conspire to lose to an odd goal, a piece of magic or are denied by a goalie playing at 150% of his potential. It;s beyond bad luck, it's beyond a skid. I'm sick of it."

Responding to a question about injuries...."Yeah, we've had more than our fair share. OUr players have been kicked all over the field this year. Chicago, in particular, have been dirty, filfthy, and caused multiple injuries. Not least the current one on recent signing Chris Klein. He's now out for the rest of the season. I think they've put Freddy in the treatment three games in a row. Right now we've got Wolff, Klein and Pope, amongst others, on the DL. It's as bad as when our internationals are away. Jardel even picked up a knock in training before he'd played a single minute. Maybe Stevie is pushing them too hard on the training side. I don't know. I'll look into it."

In what appears to be a bad omen, not one SJ player has stepped up in defence of his beleagered management team. Steve Nicol even took the reigns for a few games as Clark stepped out on stress-related leave. He could do nothing to stem the tide.

"There's no spirit in this camp. I guess I'm at least partly to blame for that with all the changes I've made. But we've still got a core of players who've been here since I came in, and several who arrived shortly thereafter. I've tweaked the squad but the starting XI has always been pretty steady. If more fans would turn up and put some money in the bank I might have been able to make a few better signings. Most everything I've done has been on free transfers. We all knew this franchise was struggling but I hoped that we could stay focused on the pitch and maybe behind the scenes would sort itself out. Now it seems like I'm just making it worse.

"No more questions at this time. Goodbye."

• SI Staff

metros.gif

FIRST PLAYOFF APPEARANCE UNDER LUNG?

When it was mid-way through the season, people were pretty sure that the New England will be the odd one out of the playoff in the East, but things have changed dramatically 11 games later. The assistant manager of NE is doing a magnificant job out there.

They are currently one point behind the struggling Metrostars with a game on hand.

Get back to the Metros report, they have lost 3 in a row and 4 in their last 5. They have lost their last 4 league contest to all 4 Eastern rivals, that will not help even if they get into the playoff.

First game of the session was a 4th round game of the US Cup, the Metros matched up with the defending champion NE. The game was fairly even matched, each team had their opportunities, the Metros came out on top 1-0 at the end of the game and knocked them out of the tournament.

"Second game of the night was probably the best game I have seen the players played since I took over. Our offense was playing at above average, we got 8 shot on target on the road. And Ring no doubt played his best game in a Metrostars uniform, he defended the net all game long, SJ had 10 shot on target without a single goal. He surely deserves a MOM for the game. As for our offense in the game, Tailey hit his first even Metros' goal with a 25-yard effort, it was deflected off an defender and then went in. Near the end of the game, SJ was all out attacking and hoped to get the equaliser in, that created a lot of rooms at their own half, Peguero got a long ball from the back and hit a bullet and sealed the deal for us."

Then the Metros went on a losing skid in the league contest. They first lost to Chicago 2-0 on the road, then 1-0 to Columbus, after last was a 1-0 lost to NE at home, and lastly a 4-0 defeat against DC, they did not score a goal in those 4 matches.

In between they had an easy win over Seattle in the US Cup quarter final. They will be facing Charlotte in the Semi, they should be going to their first championship game under Lung.

The Metros had kept very quite in the transfer window this season. Recently, they almost had a vital piece of the puzzle come and will surely help them fight for the last spot of the playoff. But the deal fail through due to the fact that the Metros have 3 TI already. Eventually they had sealed the deal and it will go through at the end of the season. Lung had interest in Chen Tao since he first took charge at the beginning of last season. Lung had a couple of chances to bring the rising Chinese star to US during the course of the year. First was during the off-seaon last year, when they should have signed Chen Tao, Lung spent an unexpected 300K on Pickens, so he did not have enough fund for Tao. A week ago, the second time around, Lung should have freed Glen to make room for Tao, but he totally forgot that and the deal was eventually cancelled because the transfer deadline was passed.

Lung has a very high expectation for next season, he has very high hope on the 3 TI attacking trio of Vaca, Tao, and Peguero. But their defense is still their biggest problem, they will once again lead the league in GA, Lung will need to search for a personale who can take the leadership role at the back before they can challenge for the title.

• SI Staff

rapids.gif

Flying High

Colorado boss Greg Broz found his squad at the top of the table recently, and in more than one category. Fewest goals allowed, largest goal differential, most wins just to name a few. This while fielding a team with just 1 All Star player on the roster and only 21 players for most of the season.

Attendance is surging as well. The fans are coming in droves to the home games and Invesco field is selling out almost every night. "I would like to think it is my managerial skills they want to see, but really it is Zizi, Pezza, Fabian, and Matt and just about the whole squad. I think it was the best decision I could make in keeping the team as static as possible. I just picked up a few players here and there as I needed to fill slots. Fortunately, the right players have come along at the right time."

The Rapids currently hold the second best streak in ther MLS behind LA who has not lost 10 games in a row, the Rapids have not lost in 6 and the last loss was to LA.. In the mean time, Colorado will be facing Virginia Beach in the Lamar Hunt Open Cup semi final opposite the Metrostars, surprisingly the only other MLS squad still in the hunt.

"We had our scares in the [Open] Cup, but looking at what we have left, I think we can come away with the trophy. Virginia really doesn't have a big threat and if we play all of our starters it should almost be a walk in the park. As for the other semi finalists.. no comment.. :roll: "

The mood certainly has changed from last year when the Rapids we struggling to get a win and even a goal. It seems the Rapids have found a winning combination and will be tough to beat this year.

"It helps that we pounded SJ into submission for what they did to us last year and have their manager ready to run for the hills. I am not sure what is going on over there, I mean Fabian is an excellent player and he just could not settle there we got him for a huge bargin. He has fit in wonderfully here. Hell, Pezza was thrilled the guy was here from day 1, that should speak volumes."

"I just hope we can keep this pace up. We had a few scares several matches ago when we had lost about 4 players to injury and we had a few get called away for international duty. Right now I just want to get Matt healthy and in the net again as he seems to be the lynch pin holding the D together."

• SI Staff

metros.gif

CHING ON THE BLOCK

As The Metrostars is trying to make a final push to secure the final playoff spot in the East this season, Lung II still looking for every possible way to make this team better in the long run.

He has been very patient with some of the players on the squad, but he is now trying to change things a bit. From what he said yesterday to a reporter, "I want to bring the most out of every player on my squad, but sometimes it does not work out, maybe he is not fit into the system I am trying to implement, so is time to move on." According to some reports, Lung II is going to place Brian Ching on the transfer block, he said that he is looking for a high round draft pick.

Brian Ching, the everyday striker for the Metros this season had only socred 3 times in more than 20 appearances. If he is traded, this will create some playing time for DeRosario and a couple of young forward down the road. His striker spot will be replacing by the talented Chinese star Chen Tao next season.

• SI Staff

fire.gif

Johan Grommen speaks Candidly

A local journalist caught up Mr. Grommen at a local nitespot in Chicago and got the following comments out of the tight-lipped Belgian.

Respond to Clark's comments about your team being filthy:

Well, if young Freddy or any player for that matter can't stand up to stress of playing professional football then they don't belong on the pitch. Injuries are a part of football, then happen in training, and they are dealt with by every manager in the world. I'm not going to deny it, we have injured quite a few players this season. I believe that it's just a by-product of the lad's commitment to the cause, and there's nothing malicious or underhanded to it. The rumors off the teams' motto being "Time to injure, maim, mutilate, cripple and cause bodliy harm" are just unfounded.

What do you think of Clark's Ultimatum?

As a manager I'm ashamed and appalled by them. Mr Clark lacks professionalism and the Earthquake fans should demand his immediate termination. His team has no chemistry and how can it? The dressing room door at Spartan Stadium is a turnstile, no wonder the fans don't bother showing up. I bet they can't name anybody apart from Freddy Adu and they have international calibre players. Clark's biggest mistakes have been moving Pezzarossi to Colorado and Palblo Mastroeni to Kansas City. The board has been very patient with him and his underachievers in a season that promised the MLS Title. Now that the inept Dallas attack looks to be getting into gear, Clark may miss the playoffs.

NE or NY?

It's a tough question but I think it may come down to the GD and this gives the Revs a distinct advantage since NY leaks too many goals. In the offseason, NY need to aquire a first-class centre half to stabilize the rear guard. They also need to improve the inconsistent keeping of Henry Ring. But the MLS needs the Metro's to be in the playoffs and successful, here's to an exciting playoff race.

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Clark Speaks to the Press

"I haven't made any ultimatums. Frankly, I don't think I'm in any position to be making demands on anyone. Grommen is barking up the wrong tree. Sure, the fans may be up in arms against me, but only because of the way my team is playing. Not my conduct. As it happens, last time I checked both they and the board supported my position."

"...and Grom is correct, right;y or wrongly injuries are a part of the game. However, I think the Commissioner should come down hard on players and/or managers who go out with the intent to injure. It's endangering players livelyhoods and beyond reproach. We don't want another Alfie Haaland situation where a good player's career was ended out of malice. As I recall Roy Keane wasn't even punished properly for that. It's just a game, let's try and keep it clean and fair."

• SI Staff

crew.gif

Sacked!

Coach Smith-Bryan was said to be very disappointed with GM Lamar Hunt's decision to fire him.

"Has he been watching the same team as me?" said coach.

"We have a great nucleus of players here at the Crew. Yeah, we've been carrying some players lately, but it's time for a clear out.."

Coach refused to comment on which players he was thinking of letting go.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

LAST IN THE LEAGUE FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT SEASON

The regular season of 2005 MLS campaign is over, the Metros are last in the league for the second straight years, though they have ten or so more points than last year. They finish last again, which means they will have back to back first overall pick in the draft. Also, they are the only team which did not qualify for the playoff this past two seasons.

Just before the end of the session, Lung II traded Brian Ching to Kansas for a first round pick. Lung II now have 2 first rounder to work with, a first overall and a sixth overall. Lung II really needs to hope that there will be some quality in this year's draft, they need players who can come off the bench or even start for them next season. Last year first overall Paul Houser did not get a lot of playing time this season, hope he can improve himself during the offseason, and come into the camp in shape to impress his head coach.

The Metrostars ended the regular season with some decent defensive performances. Though they did not score any goals during the last four matches, they have stopped the habit of leaking goals at the back. They only conceded 2 goals in 4 games. Lung II seems to have found some ways to counter the opposition's attack, if they can keep this defensive effort up next season, and they can work on their offensive game this offseason, they may get into the playoff for the first time under Lung.

• SI Staff

dc.gif

DC Ready for Playoffs

After closing out the season with 6 straight wins, DC United captured the home field advantage in the East and look towards facing New England's revitalised team in the semi finals. In the last game of the season, DC faced their conference counterparts in a preview of the semi finals. Despite a fast start, New England could not capitalise on their chances. Returning from injury, Stoyko Sakaliev opened the scoring and Ivan Robelto added a second before being stretchered off with a minor twisted ankle. Robelto, who has impressed in his first season with DC is expected to be back in training two days before the first leg of the semifinals and is likely to feature against New England once again.

In other news, it is rumored that DC have started to shop around versatile defender Leonardo Gonzalez since he will be occupying an SI slot next season. Gonzalez has been an important figure in the DC defense and it is expected that United will look for pick in the top half of the first round as compensation. His replacement Luis Gutierrez was brought in when his contract expired on September 1st but is not allowed to take part in matches this season due to foreigner limits.

Several United players finished the season at the top of the individual standings this season. Carlos Fernando Figueroa and Ben Olsen were 1 and 2 in the average rating rankings, Stoyko Sakaliev was second in goals scored and Piero Alva lead the league in assists. Matt Denecour also made strides in his rookie making a total of 17 appearances with 8 from the bench. As a team, DC United defense was tied for first in the league with Colorado while getting edged slightly by the same team in the scoring rankings to take second place.

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

End of the Season, End of the Road?

SJ's Manager Al Clark was philisophical..."It could be worse, we could have missed the playoffs." That's probably the only thing that could have further soured a hugely disappointing season for the 'Quakes.

San Jose finished the season much as they started, three defeats on the bounce (admittedly to DC and the Colorado, the top top teams in the league) and spluttered over the playoff finish line.

"I don't know what's wrong. I've been saying it for a while now. The board and fans have been incredibly patient and I thank them for that. I'm going to try and rally the troops in the playoffs and see if we can get a run going. The Rapids are formidable opposition and they're strike force (allegedly my cast offs) have been making me look like a fool. "

"As reluctant as I am to make wholesale changes again, and I realise the team needs stability, I'm going to have to shuffle the pack. I've a couple of 1st rounders and hope to add to youth to my ageing team."

"SGR and Ramon will not go on forever, though SGR did put together some decent goalscoring performances towards the end of the season and rightly will be presented with the Golden Boot again. If I was critical of him, it's just that he set the bar so high last season that I suppose the only way was down. He managed 16 league goals, and in a league as defensive as this, that's a very credible tally. He hit 19 in all competitions."

"A lot of players have let this side down this year, both on and off the field. I find it hard to stomach players questioning my ability whilst they are putting in performances not fit for the A-League. Jason Kreis has already left and he wont be the only one."

"For my money, the guys who earned the right to come back next year are Joe Cannon, Richard Mulrooney, Eddie Pope, Chris Klein, Ramon, SGR and the two youngsters Vandenborre and Adu. Some of the other youngsters didn't really get a shout so I can't get on their back. Josh Wolff and Pete Vagenas were a little disappointing but their not done yet. The others? Yeah, they'll probably be waived, traded or relegated to back up duty if they stay around. 8 of my players came in with an average below 7 and that's not good enough."

"...but enough of my whining, we've got a Western Conference Semi-Final against Colorado to prepare for. I'm not throwing the towel in yet!"

• SI Staff

dc.gif

Gonzalez on the move

Following the rumors that Leonardo Gonzalez will be allowed to leave, several clubs are reported to have already expressed an interest in the defender. The 24 year old Costa Rican is able to fill in the centre or left side of the midfield and defense and is well known for his world class tackling abilities. Also an astute passer of the ball, Gonzalez is widely expected to be an impact player in the MLS for many years to come.

It is also expected that young striker Alecko Eskandarian will also be allowed to leave DC in the offseason with last year's first round draft pick Tom Keevan impressing the United manager in his first season.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

ANOTHER BUSY OFFSEASON

For the second straight year, Lung needs to work very hard during the offseason to bring his team together. He needs to bring in a right mix of players.

Lung appears to have some interest in DC versatile defender Leonardo Gonzalez, but he is reluctant to give up his second first round pick. He said he is willing to part away a couple of lower round picks.

In the process of trying to bring in a right mix of players, Lung declared that he is willing to let the following players go:

Arturo Torres (S C)

Bobby Thompson (M C)

Henry Ring (GK)

Joselito Vaca (AM RC)

Mark Lisi (M RLC)

Tim Regan (D/DM RLC)

He also said that he will give up any of his draft picks except his 2 first rounder. Metros have 2 2nd round, and 1 each for 3rd to 6th round.

• SI Staff

wizards.gif

In what has been a up and down year KC has made the playoffs after missing last year with a 500 record of 10-10-10. We came out of the season hot with a 3-0-1 record including a 4-1 win against first round opponent L.A. galaxy. AT the Home Depot Center.

“Things are looking up, I had my doubts about the egos on the team I think I have gotten rid of them this is a good team full of heart. We are hot right now I fell that we can surprise a few people and caused some of the favored teams to refund tickets to their tickets to the finals.â€

“In my opinion no member of the team as surprised me more than Alex (Gray). I did not expect him to be such a successful goalkeeper so fast. I had him pegged to be my starter perhaps at the end of the year but when he came in and stepped up early I was surprised… I do believe that the defense is one of the best though and a great reason why Alex has been a success. But if Alex does not win the rookie of the year it will be a shame.â€

When asked about transfers at the end of the season Willy replied

“That’s the end of the season we have already got Brian Ching coming in. He is a great talent on a sub part team that needs to rebuild. He in my opinion is better for us than anything in the draft this year that we could get. I think we got rid of some of the cancer that was holding the team back and now we can move forward. Making the playoffs was a huge step in thatâ€

When asked about the upcoming game with the Galaxy

“ Well L.A. is a good team, but we have had a even series I think it is very possible for us to beat them. Not guaranteeing a win though but it is very possible for us to go to get a big enough lead and hold em. The first leg will be very critical though, than again every game is critical in the playoffs. I have great respect for LA but beating them would be funâ€

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

2003_supporters_shield.jpg

2005 Supporters Shield: COLORADO RAPIDS (Greg Broz)

West Produces The Best Again In 2005

rapids.gif

The Colorado Rapids put together an awesome season, amassing 63 points, best GD (+27), most wins (19), least defeats (T1, with 5), most goals (45), fewest conceded (T1, 18) and finished 6 points ahead of DC in the race for the Supporters Shield. and 12 pts ahead of 2nd in the West, LA.

So, congratulations go to our regular season champs. Let's see if the good form can follow Greg and his boys into the MLS Cup Playoffs!!

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

2005 Playoff Conference Semi-finals Announced

eastern.gif

dc.gif Vs revs.gif

#1 DC United #4 NE Revs

fire.gif Vs crew.gif

#2 Chicago Fire #3 Columbus Crew

western.gif

rapids.gif Vs quakes.gif

#1 Colorado Rapids #4 SJ Earthquakes

galaxy.gif Vs wizards.gif

#2 LA Galaxy #3 Kansas City Wiz

header_logo.gif

2003_us_opencup.jpg

2005 US OPEN CUP: COLORADO RAPIDS (Greg Broz)

Rapids Knock Off USL Opponents for the Cup, Take 2nd Part of the Treble?

rapids.gif

The upstart Charlotte Eagles made it all the way to the US Open Cup Final, but could not add another MLS scalp to their mantle. Greg Broz's Rapids eventually running out good enough to take the crown. Roy Lassiter and Dusty Swineheart had blasted the Eagles all the way to the final, but they seemed to run out of steam and never really threatened the favourites.

The 2-1 scoreline affirms how close the game was, but no one could argue that Colorado didn't deserve the trophy.

So, the second piece of a famous treble was nailed down. All that remained was the MLS Cup.....and Greg has that firmly in his sights.

• SI Staff

revs.gif

NEW MANAGER FOR THE REVOLUTION OFF TO A BAD START

In a bizarre move, The New England Revolution appointed Jimmy Ventura as their new manager just days before their playoff game against DC United. Revolution owner Robert Kraft offered the inexperienced but fiery young man the job as manager but gave him a choice to start right before the first playoff game or start fresh at the beginning of the year and have the interim manager stay in his position for the playoff game. Ventura in an effort to make a good first impression and get the players and fans on his side and also get some playoff experience decided to take the job and manage them in the playoffs.

The playoffs began in Gilette Stadium where the first half of game 1 was a big blur to Ventura. DC came out firing on all cylinders and took it to the Revolution in the first half by a score of 3-0. Ventura began to think maybe he was overmatched and should have started fresh but he decided to push on and gave his team a fiery half time speech which awoke the players. New England stormed back in the second half with 3 unanswered goals to tie the game up near the end but a few minutes later DC put the nail in the coffin to take game 1, 4-3. It served to give the manager and players some hope for game 2 which later became false hope.

Game 2 began the same way as game 1 where DC scored 3 unanswered goals to take a 3-0 lead. The game didn't get any better when Revs defensive midfielder Jose Cancela received his 2nd yellow card midway through the 2nd half and had the Revs 1 man down. The Revs this time, however, didn't have the late game heroics that they did in game 1 and fell quietly to DC United by a score of 3-0 and an aggregate score of 7-3.

The offseason began rather quick for Ventura as he didn't like all the grumblings going on in the locker room involving Clint Mathis. Several players weren't very happy with Clint and the new manager knew someone had to go and knowing about Clint's temperament in the past, he was the one.

Ventura verbally agreed to a deal with the Metrostars that will send Clint back to NY/NJ for attacking midfielder Joselito Vaca, defender Tim Regan and an undisclosed 2nd round pick. That deal will help New England regain the harmony back in the locker room as well as begin adding pieces to fit in Ventura's system.

He didn't end there as almost simultaneously he traded newly re-signed defender Jay Heap to Dallas for defensive midfielder Duncan Oughton. Oughton is a player that will fit well into the new New England system playing as a defensive midfielder or maybe even on the backline.

It's clear New England will be going in a different direction this season. Currently, they have some talent but they just need a fresh start. From the looks of it at least, Ventura seems to have a plan. No one knows, however, if his inexperience will be the deciding factor as the veteran managers will be looking to feast on the rookie. Bottom line, Ventura wants to win and we'll see if he has the right plan.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

SECOND OFFSEASON UNDERWAY

These few weeks, Metrostars head coach Lung is extremely busy due to some off court issue. He needs to prepare for final exams.

Although he needs a lot of time on the books, he handles the situation very well, he does not let all these distraction affect his coaching.

Since the Metros did not get into the playoff again this season, Lung's offseason gets underway early again like last season. Last offseason main acquisitions Peguero, Talley, Gros, Pause, and Salyer, have shown their abilities, and lead the Metros to a better results than last year, but it still does not enough to get into the playoff. Will the draft picks and acquisitions of this offseason build on the foundation that Lung had set this season?

The Metros basically need someone to help them at the back, in the middle, and up in front.

So far, Lung had signed Chinese rising start Chen Tao to a multi-year contract. He exchanged Ching to Kansas for a first round pick. He also signed LA backup goalie Popik on bosman transfer rule. After that, Lung had verbally agreed on two deals. The first deal will send Kansas first round pick to DC in exchange for versitile defender Leonardo Gonzalez. Lung hopes Gonzalez can provide some stability on Metros' back line. The second deal will see Joselito Vaca, Tim Regan, and a 2nd round pick going to NE, the Metros will have striker star Clint Mathis in uniform next season.

Lung seems to have his front line set for next season, he will have Mathis and Peguero paired up front with Chen Tao acts as a attacking midfielder role. The Metros really need some scoring punch up from to counter other teams' defense. Lung also is talking with former Holland's star Ronald de Boer, he hopes to bring him in to provide leadership for the team.

Lung still has the fellowing players on the transfer block:

Arturo Torres (S C)

Bobby Thompson (M C)

Henry Ring (GK)

Mark Lisi (M RLC)

As for the draft picks, Lung still has 1 pick on each of the six round.

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Playoff Dream Ends, Was Nothing More Than Fantasy

"Noone had a tougher draw than us. Colorado won the Supporter's Shield by a mile and it was always going to be difficult against them over two legs. Greg Broz and I have had our disagreements, but I can respect the good work he's done out there. I hope they go on to be Champions...they deserve it."

"Of course, we were undone by a strike tandem that we had on our books. I have to hold my hand up for that, but I honestly thought it was good business at the time. Pezz had a decent season with us but the deal to take him to Colorado was fair and I had a ready made replacement in Estoyanoff. It was his difficulties settling in the area, his attitude problems and going MIA on the field that caused me to trade him. I was out of patience, and he was beginning to hurt morale in the locker room. Getting a 1st, under the circumstances, was pretty good business.....but I wish I could have that one back. He helped move the Rapids to another level and without him in the team I think we would have progressed."

As it turned out, the 'Quakes had a very competitive matching over the two legs. "We lost it after the first one", said Clark "0-0 with all the chances we made was like a death knell."

The second leg was again very tight, but Colorado made the most of an indifferent goalkeeping display (Big Joe got a pitiful '5') to score twice on their first three shots. A few subs and a tactical switch later, saw Freddy Adu grab a big goal (84min) as SJ threw caution to the wind....but it turned out to be little more than a consolation effort.

"We outshot the best team in the league, and were it not for two very motivated individuals up front for the Rapids, we would have progressed. It was a good series and it showed the potential that I know we have here. I never thought we be found wanting for a goal, but that's how it turned out."

"There's a good core of the First XI that will be back next year. No wholesale changes this time around I don't think. We're maybe only 1 player away from a dominating team. I do think we lack depth and although we had some very good players on paper, the replacements simply did not perform. Kreis, Jardel and Namoff have been released and I wish them well elsewhere. I just hope they don't come back to haunt us, the way Pezz and Fab have. Somehow, I don't think so...."

"I'm making a couple of players available for transfer, Todd Dunivant hasn't done enough over the past two season to convince me he can beat out Pete Vagenas for the srarting leftback berth. I've also listed Eric Quill, who simply could not recreate his sterling Dallas form for me on the wing. He's not going to get a chance in the middle, we're loaded there."

Responding to a question about the need for defensive improvements through the middle, Clark had this to say.."We needed a solid centre half all season, not because we leaked goals [they were pretty solid] but because I want that young Belgian Vandenborre to be the holding midfielder. Let's not forget that we have Norweigan International Andre Muri arriving this month on a bosman. He will free up Anthony for a move to the midfield."

"Will there be other arrivals? Well, there's the draft where we have two first round picks [though Greg's will feel like a 2nd!], we still don't have any money for transfers. I guess that's a by-product of having the worst attendance in the league. We probably have one of the lowest payrolls in the league (about $7k a week below the $34k cap) but we just aren't generating any money. We can't afford to offer the signing bonuses, transfer fees to get the top players I see arriving in MLS. We've made a tidy profit this year and hopefully the board will offer me a little more. So far in two years I've spent $80k, and that was actually the work of the AssMan. I'm not blaming the board for our disappointing season last year, but with a bit more cash I could speed up our development."

"The board and fans seem content to give me another year [a bad start to 2006 may reduce that] so let's see what we can achieve next year when hopefully we can keep more of our key players fit. "

• SI Staff

revs.gif

THE DAY AFTER

Now that the newly appointed Revolution manager Jimmy Ventura has had time to digest a few things like the early exit from the playoffs, the current Revs roster, the plan at hand and the early trades, he's finally ready to dive into the offseason.

His scouts are out and about scouring a couple regions looking for some hidden talent to add to the roster. Malcontent Clint Mathis has been shipped out. He's been looking over other rosters for some seldom used players or transfer listed players that may be of use to the Revs. The only thing left now is to trade off some of the Revs players that don't fit into his plan but may fit into another team's plan.

Rumored to be on the block are all 3 SI's, talented midfielder Jose Cancela, forward Andy Herron, and English defender Steve Howey. Not for lack of talent but because each manager likes to bring in his own SI players. Obviously, these players would probably come cheap knowing how valuable SI slots are in the MLS. Mid to late round draft picks would probably do it or players that just don't fit on other teams but may be able to help the Revs.

Also rumored to be on the block are midfielder Steve Ralston and feisty defender/midfielder Joey Franchino who both requested to be on the transfer list. Though he likes Franchino's heart and hustle, he won't tolerate any player that doesn't want to be in New England.

Ventura will almost assuredly always be available to talk trade since he wants to get his team set very soon and will return phone calls very quickly. It will be very interesting to see what this team has in store for next season.

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Out with the old, In with the new...

An irate manager returned from a lengthy vacation only to have found himself made redundant.

Former manager Stu Hopkins returned from a lengthy rehabilitation spell at his seaside villa to find himself replaced...by the unlikely named Stu Hopkins II.

"Fire me! I can't believe it! I rebuilt this team from nothing! Ungrateful b*******. What a load of manure. If they should fire anyone it should be that usurping Bob Bradley; if he had followed my tactics and player selection all would have been fine, the dozey tw*t."

"Its not my fault they finished last...I wasn't even here! There's a reason that Dallas is called America's armpit you know. Undechiperable accents, rowdy frat boys, Brad Davis...the list goes on. I'm well rid of that sewer."

"I mean really, did you see the players at my disposal? What's a Wagenfuhr? Why is Steve Jolley? Oughton...he oughton go back to New Zealand, that's what. He did nothing! Nothing!

Stu Hopkins the first, continued, grudgingly...

"At least they've picked up a likely enough manager to replace me. He seems to share my tactical ideas and player philosophies...and at the very least, he is quite the handsome one."

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

the more things change...the more they stay the same...

With the managerial change, Dallas would have been forgiven for expecting a different attitude towards attendance of league matches from their managers. But despite being hired with ten games left in the season, recently appointed manager Stu Hopkins II distinguished himself by...not arriving in Dallas until after the season was already finished.

"Detroit, Dallas, it's a common enough mistake." The II shrugged, "Besides the side wasn't going anywhere anyways. Too many injuries, off-form strikers, clubhouse rot...I'm glad I stayed away."

"But now I'm here, you can be sure I'll be ringing the changes. EJ might be a star, but he's no longer a Dallas star. 0 goals! What is that?"

In confirmation of recent transfer speculation,The II confirmed that Oughton was indeed on his way to the Revolution with Jay Heaps coming to the Cotton Bowl.

"He's got such a fun name...Heaps..."The II murmured happily.

"And Eddie Johnson is as good as gone. I can report with 98% certainty that he is going to San Jose...all that remains is the crossing of the 't's' and the dotting of the 'i's'. I'm expecting him to bring us two or three starters in return. This one trade should catapult us into contention for a playoff position...this year."

The new manager seems to share many of the same traits as the deposed manager...a propensity for violence, an irrational hatred of Eddie Johnson, (he betrayed us all!), and a lax attitude towards match attendance. Time will tell if the change is what Dallas needed.

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

2005 Playoff Conference FInals

eastern.gif

dc.gif Vs. fire.gif

#1 DC United #2 Chicago Fire

western.gif

rapids.gif Vs galaxy.gif

#1 Colorado Rapids #2 LA Galaxy

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

mls-cup-1.gif

2005 MLS CUP: COLORADO RAPIDS (Greg Broz)

Broz Makes History by Sealing the TREBLE!

rapids.gif

Greg Broz's amazing transformation of the Colorado Rapids ended with them taking the silverware back to Mile High, the final piece in an historic treble.

Following on from their success in the Open Cup and Supporter's Shield the MLS Cup almost seemed like destiny. It also one-upped on Tom Yaglowski & LA's Double last season.

In quite a run of dominance, the West has now won 5 of 6 trophies in the last two years - and the two All-Star Games.

"If anyone doubed the comeptitiveness of the West, well, I'm sure they're only painfully aware now of the truth" said SJ gaffer Al Clark. "We almost had Greg and his boys in the semi's, but there was to be no denying their achievement. I wonder if they can add a continental trophy to their collection next year?"

More details and quotes to follow.

WELL DONE THE COLORADO RAPIDS, 2005 MLS CUP CHAMPIONS!

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Turnover Continues

Contrary to previous reports Clark has kept the Spartan Stadium revolving door turning this offseason. "Most of these guys have essentially been signed to try out in camp. IF they make an impression they stay, if not they'll be released and we'll keep looking. I pruned a lot of the fringe players at the club in the last couple of weeks, so we were looking a bit thin."

Out:

Released

Bryan Namoff

Jardel

Wes Hart

Johnny Walker

Inigo Rey (had to be cut to free up a TI slot)

Traded

Richard Mulrooney

Todd Dunivant

Eric Quill

Josh Wolff

In:

Free Agents

Inigo Rey (Now Released)

Craig Ziadie

Chris Wingert

Kyle Martino

Jeff Agoos

Manny Lagos

Neil Lennon

Andre Muri (Bosman)

Steve Ralston (Bosman)

Trades

Eddie Johnson

Brad Davis

Quinton Westerberg (Cash Transfer from Brest, France)

Ederson (awaiting visa, will be with the squad next week).

"Clearly, Eddie Johnson is a huge signing. Though, it appears, he's turned up still carrying a chip on his shoulder from his time in Dallas. I hope this doesn't turn into another Fabian Estoyanoff situation. He's going delusional. He thinks he's still mad at his manager, he thinks he's still on the list. I can't honestly say that i know this one is going to end well. What really bites is that he didn't come cheap - he and Brad Davis came over for starters Richard Mulrooney & Josh Wolff and 1st team rotation players Todd Dunivant and Eric Quill. He's a young lad (Grown Assed Man, my arse!) and hopefully he can just grow up a bit and settle down. He wont be traded any time soon. He's the kind of player we can build the whole franchise around."

"I'm pleased to add Andre Muri, Neil Lennon and Steve Ralston. Those guys are really class acts and upgrade us in all three positions. The rest of the arrvials are playing for a roster spot. I think Craig Ziadie could work out, but the other free agents will have their work cut out."

"I had to release Johnny Walker, he is a starting keeper and wasn't likely to dislodge Joe Cannon any time soon. He was mouthing off in the press and generally not helping the team spirit. I would have thought he'd be more grateful after I took him out of the firing line at the Metros. Good luck to him, though I see him fading out in the USL as I doubt he'll get another chance at the MLS level."

"I just wanted to take time to thank Richard Mulrooney, our assistant Captain, for his efforts at the club. We all knew he's from Texas so the chance to move to FC Dallas was granted as much in recognition of his service as anything. He'll be a great asset for them. " The departure of Richard and Todd Dunivant leaves just Ryan Cochrane on the roster from when Clark took over. Jeff Agoos has come and gone a couple of times, so the youngster is really the only remain legacy of the previous regeime. No one can say Clark hasn't molded the team or brought in his own players.

"Finally, I was overjoyed to complete the paperwork on Brazillian starlet Ederson. He's one the fans will love and should ultimately provide a quality replacement for our Captain Ramon Ramirez. We had been monitoring him for two years but only this offseason (with the generous allocation of $1m in transfer funds) was I able to make my move. I know DC were in the fray too, so I'm glad I was able to persuade him that his future lay in California. I'm hoping he's providing the bullets for EJ for years to come. Welcome to San Jose Ederson!"

Archived