Bit of Help Needed For a Narrow Diamond With Wingbacks

suncrqu.jpg

I have been using the tactic on the right based on a 4-3-2-1 that someone sent me, I tweaked the instructions but kept the mentalities the same apart from the DMC. The tactic score tonnes of goals and is very solid at the back but that could have more to do with how good the attackers are than the way I set them up. Even with the back arrows the fullbacks provide some width and still get forward quite a lot. They have decent match ratings, a few tackles a game and a good pass completion but I would like to see more assists from them than they normally get. I moved them both to the wingback positions against a weak team in the FA Cup the RB grabbed him first assist of the season and the LB got two assists both have good attacking stats which obviously makes them suited to getting forward.

My question is will this weaken the defence at all and if so is there any way to combat this. My two CM's are balanced between attack and defence, would it be advisable to change one of them to fall back a bit more?

League Table Looking Great

The league table is well in my favour and I realise that there might not be any point in changing things but if I can perfect the fullbacks in the team the tactic will be brilliant. No matter how good a tactic appears it can always be improved. I have had some wins happen due to the brilliance of the individual rather than the tactic.

Any other screen shots needed just ask.

In my experience with the narrow diamond the biggest weakness with respect to the FBs is when they are too far forward and therefore out of position on the counterattack. As a result I would playing them as wingbacks is likely to make your defense a bit weaker, yes.

My approach to limiting this effect is to play on a narrow pitch at home, and play the FB's more defensively on the road. You may be able to get the same result with your wingback formation.

How are you wanting them to get their assists, from crosses or from through balls?

Crosses, although my strikers are both quick in the first game I used the fullbacks at wingback they crossed three times to assist three goals. They have mixed through balls and often crossing. A question I do have is in the tactics creator there is the option of float and drill crosses, is this crossing to near post for drill and far post for float?

Crosses, although my strikers are both quick in the first game I used the fullbacks at wingback they crossed three times to assist three goals. They have mixed through balls and often crossing. A question I do have is in the tactics creator there is the option of float and drill crosses, is this crossing to near post for drill and far post for float?

I've been wondering that about the TC too, and I'm not entirely sure myself.

I typically set individual instructions for cross aiming instead of letting the TC do it.

Also, even with aerially threatening strikers I only see good header goals every few games. I wouldn't expect many assists from your FB/WB's with quick strikers as opposed to aerial ones.

I think what makes me want to try it more is every other position is made for a certain player but the fullback roles do not fit the players I have. I like to have two for each positions, two of me fullbacks are DLC and two are wingbacks. As a result their off the ball is higher than their positioning so I figure they might be more effective in the tactic if I play to their strength.

Maybe each fullback crossing to the near post will result in more passes low down for the strikers to attack.

Yes, drilling crosses means to the front post, floating them is to the far post. I'd go for near post if I were you, for your stikers to make a quick run across the defender and get a tap in.

Archived