How To Play & Win At Altitude?

The title of the thread pretty much sums it up guys. What is the most effective way of playing games at altitude.

In my save game i'm the Brazil manager but whenever I play away against teams like Ecuador (at extreme altitude) the performance is generally poor to mediocre at best.

When playing at altitide i tend to play a short passing, slow tempo, narrow system and try to use players with high stamina and fitness ratings. Is this the best way?

Anything else I should be doing or can do?

I´m not sure about playing narrow. In my opinion with narrow width players have to generally run more than with wider setting and your goal should be to assure that your players will run as less as possible. I would play something like Ajax System (Marz´s excellent thread on this forum) or something like Barca IRL (with lesser pressing) where ball runs much more than players. Anyway it´s great that the game is realistic in this aspect. E.g. Argentina always has a hard time when playing in La Paz.

Move the ball, not your players. Personally I'd not use (very) short passing for just this reason.

Turn off RWB, RFD

Low closing down

Don't roam

If you play wider, as Los_C suggests, you'll cover more pitch with less players. You can try switching the ball from one flank to another (using longer passes, crossing to far post) to create space when playing like this.

Moving the ball around (not your players) will also force the opposition to chase the ball and tire them instead.

Lower tempo, but more direct passing. :)

I'd also be inclined to sit deeper, rather than press, with perhaps more of an overall "control" mentality. In essence, keep the ball whilst also looking for direct penetrative passing. Deeper defence should ensure that defenders aren't having to cover too much ground chasing play, if caught on the break, as they would if pressing higher up the pitch.

Archived