A notes function for tactics

How do people keep track of how specific tactics worked against particular opponents, playing systems, with different players, on different pitches, weather conditions, home/away and whatnot? I don't play a particular tactic but rather use different ones for each opposition, so by now I have such a mess of tactics only inadequately described in the tactics name as "4-2-3-1 double DM" or something like that. The result is that frequently I will rather make a new tactic than go through old ones, since I never remember which worked and against whom etc. I can see that this will not be a problem for managers who always use the same tactic or only adjust it slightly depending on opposition. But with the ease of tactics creation in FM10 (though I only use the creator for basic shape) I am way mre tempted to tailor my tactics than before.

One solution would be to have a "notes" system similar to the one for players etc. for tactics, so after a game one could fill in particular observations like "needs quick FBs" or "works well against flat 442s". Additionally, a pull-down menu would be great to see in which matches the tactic was used and with which result. One could then click on the particular match to get to the match screen for further analysis. What do you think?

How do you manage your tactics-bag at the moment? Or am I the only one to change tacs all the time?

Thanks for you feedback!

I tend to have a "core" tactic, created entirely with the Tactics Creator, which I use in every match. Based upon pre-match opposition scout reports, assistant manager suggestions, along with my own thoughts, I will utilise the shout options during the match. For example, it might become obvious that playing the defensive line deeper, or the opposite, of pushing them up more and pressing, might be more beneficial.

The only problem with a notes option, would be the many variables at play. Opponents starting tactics and changes they'll make during play, based on their AI manager settings, is just one aspect. Obviously there's also weather and pitch conditions, as well as pitch sizes. Player selections, both for yourself or the AI opponent, injuries or dismissals, etc...

There's so many changing variables, I think it would be extremely difficult to implement fully. That's not to say the idea isn't a good one. You can pretty much do what you're after by saving variations of your tactical settings and naming them accordingly. Personally though, given the variables, I prefer to do things "on the fly", letting observation be my guide. :)

You're not the only one changing your tactics. I do to and often throughout games. I just don't touch the "core" system very often and adapt passing, defensive line, pressing, etc... with the shouts, or use a different "style" of player with substitutions. For example, if my "poacher" isn't having any joy, I might bring on a "complete" forward or a "target man".

Personaly, I do keep notes amongst other things, and if I am trying to build a new tactic, I may end up playing a single game 2,3 or even more times just to see how different adjustments work. Also, when working on a new project, I might have one or several other managers enabled so I can experiment how one tactic works against a tactic that I get to choose and specify myself - I find it really helpfull for finding weaknesses and understanding what particular changes do against certain systems.

I am similar to the OP who changes tactic every game. However, it is not a matching formation game like many believe, I examine every player on the opposition until I find weaknesses which I exploit rigorously. I scout the entire opposition team so I also know their weaknesses and if they're a threat from there also. I don't take notes otherwise I might as well upload 19 tactics that you change depending who I played in the PL. Every game is different.

I tend to have a "core" tactic, created entirely with the Tactics Creator, which I use in every match. Based upon pre-match opposition scout reports, assistant manager suggestions, along with my own thoughts, I will utilise the shout options during the match. For example, it might become obvious that playing the defensive line deeper, or the opposite, of pushing them up more and pressing, might be more beneficial.

I used to do this (using sliders rather than shouts) but find myself much more willing to use new set-ups. I admit I have gone a bit wild this time. I have played anything from a 5 ma defense to a 4-6-0. Ever since SFraser and Cleon (iirc) have gotten me hooked on http://www.zonalmarking.net I can't seem to stop...

The only problem with a notes option, would be the many variables at play. Opponents starting tactics and changes they'll make during play, based on their AI manager settings, is just one aspect. Obviously there's also weather and pitch conditions, as well as pitch sizes. Player selections, both for yourself or the AI opponent, injuries or dismissals, etc...

There's so many changing variables, I think it would be extremely difficult to implement fully. That's not to say the idea isn't a good one. You can pretty much do what you're after by saving variations of your tactical settings and naming them accordingly. Personally though, given the variables, I prefer to do things "on the fly", letting observation be my guide. :)

I can see what you mean there. But please not that the reverse works: If you click on a match in the "fixtures" page you can see which formation you started the game with. All I want is the reverse, going from the tac to which matches it started(knowing full well the limitations through shouts etc).

To attach a basic "note" to a tactic isn't affected by the argument you make though. Jotting down some observations on how a tac worked will help to tune the tactic in the next match, and from the start rather than on the go. Using only the title of the tactic seems quite a crude crutch and quite limiting in order to do that. For example, f I observe in one game that I have a problem with fast strikers for example I don't want to be reminded of this problem by conceding the first goal. Or if I note down that the tactic only worked after bringing in a dribbler on the flank want to put him ion the starting eleven (or not use the tac if I don't have one).

The only thing currently available in the game then, to make notes, is [manager name] tab -> "notebook" -> Create Note.

I suppose in the context you're looking for, the best thing would be if they added an additional "Notebook" tab on the fixtures screen, next to the Past Meetings, Cancel Friendly Arrange Friendly, Show Next Fixture, buttons.

At the moment then, you can use the current "notebook" options entirely for anything you want to make notes about, title and date them accordingly. Although what you're suggesting might indeed be useful to some people, it wouldn't perhaps be considered a key feature to implement. Perhaps I misunderstood the simplicity of what you were after, rather thinking it was something more complex and integral to the Tactics Creator or tactical menus. ;)

The only thing currently available in the game then, to make notes, is [manager name] tab -> "notebook" -> Create Note.

I suppose in the context you're looking for, the best thing would be if they added an additional "Notebook" tab on the fixtures screen, next to the Past Meetings, Cancel Friendly Arrange Friendly, Show Next Fixture, buttons.

At the moment then, you can use the current "notebook" options entirely for anything you want to make notes about, title and date them accordingly. Although what you're suggesting might indeed be useful to some people, it wouldn't perhaps be considered a key feature to implement. Perhaps I misunderstood the simplicity of what you were after, rather thinking it was something more complex and integral to the Tactics Creator or tactical menus. ;)

I am a simple man with simple tastes ;-)

I probably confused you by putting 2 ideas in one thread. One is also having the notebook function already there covering tactics, the second is to reverse the search which at the moment allows to go from match to tactic used to go from tactic used ->matches.

it may not be a key feature but it sounds like a low-hanging fruit to me since it doesn't demand complex changes to the ME or anything, just making it easier to organise information. On the other hand, given the incredible popularity of downloaded tactics on this forum maybe SI could do away with the whole tactics module since that is also only useful to "some people". (Aahh, I couldn't resist that one, sorry).

Seriously, the notes idea in my opinion should be accessible where you describe it as well as on the tactics page, by putting up the little "notes" icon in the corner and have it permanently connected with this tactic. As a secondary function, it might even be useful for people sharing their.tac files here by putting a wrap-up of the tactics idea or shout instructions or whatever right there with the tac. What do you think?

I've put up a suggestion in the past that we really need a tactical audit log for each match to help keep track of changes we make. Thus what we would end up with is a logged list of when changes are made to the tactic, either to team or position settings or through shouts and at what time in the match. We could then see a history log for reference on what we changed and the resulting it affect it had on the match. This could even be linked back to the match progress/playback bar or an additional one inserted underneath to indicate tactical changes made by yourself.

I hate it when I tweak a tactic and then forget to save the changes before leaving a match and lose everything.

Archived