Secrets in Berlin

HorusFM

Played on FM10 but using fake players to associate for the date the story is set. All leagues from several European nations including Germany and France.

17th December 1979

I hate Berlin during the winter,” muttered Alexander Muller, quickly pulling up the collar of his heavy set German jacket. It had the club crest of Bayern Munich on the right arm, a signal regarding his favourite club.

Stop whining,” replied his boss, the only man Alexander reported to. Dickson Bohl had been in charge of 1.FC Union Berlin for just five months, having taken over to try and keep them in their new league following the loss of Markus Berger to Ahlen. “I know it’s brisk, and quite chilly, but we need to get the boys ready for tomorrow’s fixture.

Alexander blew into his hands, a wisp of steam rising up through the air as he tried to warm them up. “Well let’s get on with it then,” he replied, motioning to another coach to get the players out. “I don’t want to be stood here longer than need be; there is a very nice glass of whiskey waiting for us both.

Dick smirked, “You know how to get into my heart. We have Augsburg tomorrow, and you know how much a point could do us nicely right now. The whiskey will have to wait I’m afraid.

You NEVER tell the whiskey to wait, Dick. Never.

On this occasion, I’m doing just that,” said Dick, watching as his players ran laps around the pitch. They, like Alexander, looked less than impressed at having to be out in this almost freezing weather. The ground was hard, the chill was bitter with the wind even more so. “So what are you going to tell me about Augsburg?

Alexander lit up a cigarette, “Well, according to Scholz, they aren’t anything special at the moment. Averaging just over a goal a game, their main threat up front being their aging veteran Mario Gerber. He still has the pace necessary to cause problems, though,” Alexander said, puffing out rings of smoke into the air as he spoke. It was a trait that annoyed Dick, but Alexander knew this, and played on it.

You advise me to stick with the four-three-three then? It has done us alright this season,” said Dick, kicking a stray football back from the goalkeeper training.

Alexander nodded in response, and continued to blow smoke rings into the air. “To be honest, Dick, we don’t have the squad depth to change it that much anyway. You brought in players to fit your system, and while that is all well and good, we now have no real scope for alterations until the transfer window opens.

You’re forgetting this is our last game before the winter break, Alex.

Alexander shrugged in response, “Ignore my previous points then. In response to what you asked, stick with the four-three-three. It’s worked for us, and if Augsburg are meant to beat us, they’ll beat us.

You’re supposed to inspire confidence, you know.

Nah,” he said in response, throwing the cigarette onto the floor before stamping it out. “I’m here to mock you, drink whiskey and buy expensive coats.

Great assistant manager you are,” sighed Dick, “No, no, no! I wanted you to set up a heading exercise, Marvin, not shooting. I need a new coach,” mumbled Dick, half watching Alexander as he said it. He was about to light up a second cigarette before failing to ignore Dick.

I’ll go do it, shall I?” he said, forcibly putting the cigarette back into its packet and storming off onto the pitch, hands in pockets.

You’re a hero,” replied Dick, who smiled and turned to a clipboard sat on a seat. It was his available squad for the next match. It was his squad.

Dick stared at the paper in front of him, happy with the pool of players he could see on the list. Firstly were the goalkeepers, a position he had ample cover in. Cem Budak (29, TUR) was the definitive first choice and had been Dick’s man for all but two of Union Berlin’s matches in the league this season. He is as solid as expected for this division, and an integral part to the side. His deputies are Matthias Lange (25, GER) and Florian Fischer (18, GER), both of whom haven’t done enough to warrant a persistent first team slot. Both have enough ability, but can’t really be considered for consistent play with Budak around.

The full back situation was also a rather healthy one, with Dick’s best players hailing on both sides of the defence. On the left would be Greek Tasos Serepas (26, GRE), a left back who is viewed as one of the best players at the club. His opponent for the position is Thorsten Schulte (23, GER). Thorsten is a very decent full back, but his problem is dislodging Serepas, who is a fan favourite. The same problem exists for Jan Cordes (29, GER), who for the sake of his career cannot get rid of other fan favourite Peter Pernis (20, SVK). Peter has been as solid as a rock at the back since the start of the season, but is attracting a lot of interest from clubs in England, Spain and Italy. One other right back is on the books, Rainer Bunzenthal (33, GER), but his age and lack of general fitness will likely see him leave before he becomes a first team fixture.

Sadly the centre back position is underinvested in, a problem Dick is seeking to improve himself come January. The two common centre backs in the squad are Patrick Allofs (27, GER) and Steffen Barton (23, GER), and both are excellent players. They have however been rather leaky in this league, the defence conceding twenty six in just sixteen matches. The only cover for these is Ralf Werner (29, GER) and he, at a push, would be classed as a woeful defender. He has the physical attributes, just lacks any kind of technical knowhow. Thankfully injuries to Allofs and Barton have been avoided, leaving Dick with no real problems now that the window approaches.

Central midfield would show Dick his captain, Ralf Krug (35, GER), a former East Germany international. He had travelled with the 1974 World Cup squad, but failed to make an appearance as East Germany were dispatched in the quarter finals. The other defensive midfield player at the club is Farid Ammari (25, ALG), a solid enough player with the skills to provide cover for Krug should his age get the better of him on occasion. Adnan Cengiz (28, TUR) is the main midfield creative force, and with six assists and five goals so far in the season, he is living up to his name. His back-ups are Stefan Lenz (20, GER) and Andreas Scholz (29, GER), both capable of doing the jobs required if need be.

There was only one real winger at the club, and even he will struggle for first team action without even considering his age. Ralf Lang (37, GER) is that man, and he still boasts some speed in his legs. He doesn’t fit in to the system though, and isn’t likely to play very much this season.

As Dick’s eyes reached the end of the page, he found his strikers list. Sebastian Lehmann (25, GER) is the clubs top scorer with six at the moment, and is a fairly good all round front man. His main support comes from Joachim Schulte (30, GER) and Markus Winkler (27, GER), both able to score plenty of goals but not having done a great amount of that so far, just three each for them both. There is a fourth striker at the club, Thomas Schmitt (20, GER), and while he is a decent little player, he is still young and yet to mature into his talented boots.

As Dick put the clipboard back down, Alexander came trudging back across. “I need a cigarette,” he murmured, dropping his frame into a seat and pulling his pack out. “I’ve just had to deal with an army patrol. They claimed someone had been sighted in the area that they were looking for. They just wouldn’t take no for an answer that everyone here is accounted for.

Dick shifted his weight, refusing to turn to look at Alexander. “Did they say who they were looking for?”

Alexander shook his head as he took a drag, “Nah, just that he was a foreigner who hadn’t been granted access through the proper channels and was wanted in connection with some crime. Not like there was anyone like that here,” he said, “All of our foreign players have permits.”

Dick looked at Alexander, “Yeah, very true. Are they planning on coming back?

The tank commander seemed to accept that it was unlikely anyone was here unless they were hiding somewhere in the stadium,” said Alexander, before he shrugged to the original question, “So no, I doubt they will. Back to training?

Dick nodded uneasily, “Back to training,” he replied, looking at the road where the tank would have rolled on down.

Just because I enjoy managing Bayern :D thanks for looking in, Xen. :thup:

As Dick entered his East German home, he slumped against the door as he closed it behind himself. Today could have been classed a close call, but he didn’t want to worry his wife. Jane Bohl stepped out of the kitchen and smiled to him, but when he didn’t return a smile, she knew something was wrong.

Nothing,” he murmured, lowering his briefcase onto the desk next to where he stood. “We had the Army roll past the stadium earlier today. I know they weren’t interested in me as I am now, but they’re still looking for someone, and I know full well that person is me.

Jane sighed and hugged her husband, “The search will stop eventually. If you would only let me talk you out of your silly belief that hiding in plain sight is the best way to accomplish anything. It really isn’t, Dick,” she said, frowning deeply.

I like it here, Jane; you know that all too well. I’m thirty nine, and spent my thirty eighth birthday unable to properly celebrate in my own home to continually hide where we actually live. Alexander continues to offer me a lift to and from work, and everytime I make an excuse that even I wouldn’t believe.

Dick slumped into the nearest seat he could find, and Jane placed herself on his lap. She put her arms around him and hugged him tightly. But it wasn’t a totally wholehearted hug. She had secrets of her own. “I know how you’re feeling, Dick, but there is little that can be done right now. We need to keep our heads down, avoid any unwanted attention from the authorities because if they look deep enough, it’ll take them all of five seconds to realise we aren’t actually German and hail from Swansea.

Tell me something I don’t know,” replied Dick as he got up and poured a glass whiskey. He just didn’t know what to do with anything, but one option that wasn’t available was turning his own self in. It was just a good thing he didn’t have any children. He gulped the whiskey down, the contents warming his throat and stomach rather nicely. “I’m going to go to bed, Jane.

Jane nodded, “Alright sweetheart. I’ll sit here and read a book and come up in a small while.

Dick nodded, not having actually paid attention to what she had said. He was tired and in desperate need of a dream to help him escape this reality; a reality that was entrenching itself around him. Whilst his own problems were at the forefront of his mind, Augsburg were to present what should be a stern challenge tomorrow evening.

18th December 1979

FC Augsburg vs. 1.FC Union BerlinGermany 2. Bundesliga

impuls arena, Augsburg, Germany

Augsburg seal win in six goal thriller with Union, who were down to ten men.

Both sides sat comfortably in mid-table before this week’s fixture, and it wasn’t to be the favourites who took the lead in the first half.

Over twenty one thousand ones turned out for this one, nineteen thousand being Augsburg supporters, and they were to be disappointed after just twenty seven minutes when Sebastian Lehmann. The striker was played through on goal by captain Krug, the Augsburg players calling for offside. In truth Augsburg captain Nazarov had strayed behind the defensive line to play Lehmann on, and the Union top scorer added his seventh of the season with a composed finish.

A period of pressure followed from Augsburg, who saw Nazarov and Teichmann force saves out of Budak in the Union goal. The keeper was less than happy, and ten minutes after the opening goal, Augsburg drew level. Barton failed to pick up Teichmann, and the striker crossed to his partner Gerber who hit it first time with a side footed effort of excellent composure. Budak couldn’t reach it, and Union found themselves in a real mess at the back. The inquiry that followed saw Barton and Allofs square up, but were eventually separated by Serepas.

The first attack after the kickoff, and Union re-took the lead. Allofs rose highest to head a corner off the crossbar, much to his own misfortune, but it fortuned Lehmann when it landed at his feet. The striker lashed a toe poke effort past Jovanovic, sending the travelling fans into rapture once more. Despite being 2-1, the game could go anyway, and it certainly would. Union lost the impetus they had garnered from the second goal when they lost captain Ralf Krug for seeing his second yellow, the home fans waving him goodbye as he trudged off down the tunnel. Augsburg forced themselves upon Union and levelled the game just before half time when Bastian Meier rose highest to head a freekick past Budak. Union manager Dickson Bohl, a soggy figure on the sidelines, was furious with his team, and he forced down the tunnel as the half time whistle blew.

It was clear how the second half would occur, and despite brief forays by Union to try and play like a side with eleven men, they simply couldn’t cope with the Augsburg midfield overrunning them. They did however keep the home side out for the best part of half an hour before Felix Teichmann curled a delicious freekick past Budak, who had watched Barton give the set piece away with a rash challenge that saw him booked. As the goal flew in, it was clear Union had nothing in their arsenal to reply with.

The misery of having to perform with ten men and being a goal down was compounded when Teichmann broke the Union backline in the heavy rain, forcing himself and the ball towards goal. He struck the ball perfectly to put his side two goals ahead and give them what would definitely be the three points. Union did have a chance for a consolation, and a chance for Lehmann to seal his first hat-trick this season, but he dragged his shot through the mud and held his head in shame for what actually was a poor miss in the end.

The red card was definitely a turning point for the game, and certainly for Union who could have gone on to win if they’d have had a full quota of players. Augsburg took advantage, and that was something Bohl agreed on. “Augsburg didn’t necessarily play better than us at the start, but they knew how to work us out of the game with our man disadvantage. Krug should know better at his age, and it’s really poor that we lost out to Augsburg after such a decent early display.”

FC Augsburg 4 (Gerber 37, Meier 45, Teichmann 75, 82)

1.FC Union Berlin 2 (Lehmann 27, 39)

Attendance: 21,781

FC Augsburg: Jovanovic, Alves (Voss), Ekwalla, Nazarov ©, Herres. Gustafsson (Mayr), Meier, Jungwirth, Teichmann, Marquardt, Gerber

1.FC Union Berlin: Budak, Pernis, Serepas, Barton, Allofs, Ammari (Scholz), Krug, Cengiz, Schulte, Lehmann, Schmitt (Cordes)

MoM: Bastian Meier

19th December 1979

Before you say a word,” muttered Alexander, “Don’t go blaming me for Krug’s sending off.

Dickson frowned as Alexander took a seat next to him, “It was your bloody idea to get him more aggressive in the first place, Muller. And now he’s been sent off, you’re trying to avoid the blame?

Alexander shrugged, “I’m German, and it’s in my blood to avoid blame.

Dickson was angry, but he couldn’t help but laugh. The players had been forced to an extra training session in the snow, but Dickson and Alexander were sat enjoying a whiskey under a small awning. The snow flittered down around them rather heavily, and the players threw looks of anger towards them as coach Marvin Holzhauser put them through their paces. “You don’t deserve my whiskey, Muller.

But yet here I am, sitting in the snow with a delicious glass of it,” replied Alexander, who lifted his glass up to prove the point.

You might aswell savour it. Krug won’t be drinking whiskey this week; I’ve ordered him to be fined a week’s wages.

Don’t you think that is a bit harsh on him? The man was simply following the one thing I wanted him to improve in his game.

He got sent off at a key moment in a match we were winning. So no, I don’t believe I am being harsh Alexander.

Alexander smiled as he took a swig from the glass, “I was only testing you, Boss.

Dickson refrained from replying, and instead weighed up the situation around him. “We don’t have a game until New Years Day now, but I’m hoping this snow lightens up way before then.

Alexander shrugged, “We’re supposed to be free of it around the twenty eighth, but you know what weather can be like. We all know that we’re like unlikely to beat Mainz, Dick, and you know it better than the rest of us.

Got to have some faith, Muller.

I don’t get paid for my faith, holy men do. And you know that I am not a holy man. I’m here to coach your players and make them prepared for each and every game, not to be the camp optimist.

You forgot the drinking my whiskey part,” quipped Dick, smiling snidely as he said so. Alexander tipped the glass for a top-up.

You know that my main role in this life is to make your life as much of a pain as possible.

Lucky me," he replied, pouring more whiskey into the glass as the snow pound down around them both.

Thanks Spav and Satio. Plenty to come in this yet. :)

Monday 21st December 1979

Alexander Muller weaved his car around traffic to get himself to the centre of his housing area. He was desperate to just get home, have a nice glass of whiskey and most likely make love to his wife. He was hoping his son was in bed, mainly to avoid the catastrophe of not having brought any candy back for him today.

As he parked his jeep up and the engine cooled down, a plume of smoke escaped from under the hood. The engine hissed profusely, Alexander sighing as he got out. He lifted the hood up, but was engulfed with more smoke, the smoke that had failed to escape the first time. “Arghh,” he mumbled as he slammed the hood back down.

He went back to close the door, and pushed it with his foot. He did put too much velocity on his push though, and the door completely unhinged itself and fell to the floor as it hit the chassis. “I give up,” he muttered, leaving the door on the passenger seat. He went up and unlocked his door, “We need a new car, Greta, because that one outside is an absolute abomination to the word vehicle.

Greta popped her head out of the kitchen and smiled, “You’ve been saying that for years, Alex. And you always just fix it and continue to use it. And anyway, you know we can’t afford a new one on our wages.

Alexander shrugged, “I’ll steal one then.

Behave,” she replied from within the kitchen. “It’s chicken stew for tea tonight, if you don’t mind it.

Of course not dear,” replied Alex, though as soon as he was out of sight he rolled his eyes to his daughter who was sat at the dinner table doing some homework. “Chicken stew again?

Steffi smiled, “Yes dad, chicken stew again. I tried to talk her into doing something else with the remaining bit of chicken, but I failed.

Alex ran a hand through his daughters hair, “That’s my girl, I guess we will just have to grim and bear it. Good job that it actually tastes okay!

Greta walked in and planted a hotpot dish onto the table and some toast right next to it. She brought out three glass bottles of Coca Cola. “To what do we owe the pleasure of Coca Cola?” asked Alex, very surprised to have such an expensive beverage as this on the table.

I felt like we deserved it. Don’t worry, it isn’t money that will be missed.

Alex smiled, “You do spoil us, with the Coca Cola and...

And chicken stew,” finished Steffi, smiling to her father. The pair were inseparable when Alex wasn’t working.

Greta knew what the two of them were up to, but as always she loved the banter between them both. She had heard the conversation from the kitchen, and smiled as she removed the hotpot lid. “Maybe I lied,” she said, revealing a rather delicious looking beef hotpot.

Alex smiled, “Well, look at that. Shall I say grace?

Greta nodded.

Lord, we thank you today for the meal you present before us. I would also like to thank you for the company I have, in the form of my beautiful wife and daughter.

The trio opened their eyes, “All we need now is Marcel to scream the house...

And before Greta finished her sentence a noise came wailing from upstairs. “It’s your turn,” she said to Alex. Alex sighed, but in reality he loved it. He loved his family life. As he walked upstairs he went pass the living room and didn’t notice the face on the screen.

A face he knew all too well.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 22nd December 1979

You called me for this,” muttered Dick, watching as his assistant showed him what lay in the physio room.

You did say to drag you in if any players developed injuries,” mumbled Alexander, seemingly disappointed that Dick didn’t appreciate his efforts.

He’s got a f*cking cold, Alex.

Well, Marcel here seems to think he should go home for a week or so.

Dick turned to Marcel, “Marcel can do one thing if he thinks my best player won’t be training this week,” snapped Dick, glancing a snide look at Marcel.

And what would that be, Dick?” asked the physio in response, squaring up to him.

To shove your own head, up your arse, sir.

Marcel swung for Dick, but completely missed as the manager ducked and swung his right fist at Marcel’s jaw. He crashed backwards into a physio table, next to where Peter Pernis lay, the full back with the cold.

If you ever drag me out of my house in the winter for something as pointless as this again, Alex, we’re going to fall out big time.

Calm down, Bohl. I don’t think it required hitting him,” said Alex, looking at Marcel on the floor.

Dick shrugged in response before heading out of the physio room.

Alex turned to Peter, who lay on the bed still. “I think it would be in your best interests to turn up for training this week,” he muttered on his way out, “Unless you want to end up like Marcel here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks alot Matt. This story is to fill gaps in from time to time. Hopefully it'll all become evident by the end!

Thursday 24th December 1979

Dick, can you please come in here?” asked Jane. It confused Dick slightly, because he assumed she was on the toilet. She wasn’t as it turned out.

What’s wrong dear?

I did a test,” she replied, her eyes very watery.

Dick said nothing but looked in her hand, where a pregnancy test was being held. “Oh my god, what did it say,” he said, sitting on the floor next to her. He put his arm around her, and he held her so close.

The tears in her eyes, sadly, were not tears of joy. “It was negative,” she mumbled, turning the test over to show Dick.

Dick felt his heart sink as quickly as it had risen in the hope of her being pregnant. “It’ll be alright, Jane, we can just keep trying.

What is the point, Dick? It’s obvious that I don’t have all the working parts needed. We are never going to get the chance to have a baby.

Please don’t give up just like that. There is always hope,” he said, getting up try and hug her.

Jane pulled away. “I need some time to go and think.

To go and think about what, Jane?

What to do with my life. Having a family was such an important thing to me. I don’t know if I can take this continuing disappointment with not getting pregnant.

Dick tried once again to pull her close to him, “Please, let’s just keep trying.

I’ll be home in a bit,” she said, shutting the bathroom door behind her. Dick just stood in front of the mirror. He looked up to the ceiling.

Why do you consistently punish me with this bullsh*t of a life you have given me? What have I done to deserve it?

There was, of course, no answer. Christmas was clearly going to suck this year.

• 3 weeks later...

27th December 1979

The fans are almost going to wet their pants at having a Brazilian grace their stadium,” chortled Alexander, watching as Dick shook hands with the new signing at impuls arena.

Klaus Bock, the Union Berlin chairman, stood next to him. Klaus was a real tough character, but he did hold the interests of the club at heart. “It was a real battle to get him here. I had to bribe a few people to let us bring two foreigners into the country to sign for us.

The Brazilian in question was 32 year old Ferdinando. Ferdinando had previously played for Sao Paulo before he moved on to Real Madrid, where he spent four years. Having left the Spanish giants in 1977, he joined Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest where he went on to play in the English sides 1-0 Champions League final victory over Malmo FF earlier in the year. For Union Berlin to have acquired someone of his experience and skill is certainly a massive coup.

I do feel sorry for Sindou,” said Klaus, striking up a cigar.

The second player to join Union Berlin was an Ivory Coast international; Sindou Toure. Sindou, 31, has been a bit of a journeyman, having turned out for seven sides in his career. He spent three years, the most at one club, at Ajax in Holland, but saw limited action over that time. His last club was German side Hertha Berlin, making his signature all the more easier considering he already lived in Germany.

Why?” asked Alexander, helping himself to a cigar from Klaus’ pocket.

For being signed on the same day as a Brazilian. It must be hard to be overshadowed.

Alexander shrugged, “I wouldn’t say so, to be honest. Sindou is a forward, while Ferdinando plays in central midfield. They aren’t exactly in direction competition, and they both bring something separate to the table.

I guess we’ll see. Dickson desperately needed these players, and I think there is one more he has lined up. I don’t mind bringing them in for him, he’s doing a good enough job in keeping us above the relegation threshold so he needs all the support he can get,” said Klaus, hinting on the words at the end of his statement.

Yes, yes,” snapped Alexander, “I’ll be alongside him, the devil on his shoulder, if you will.

If you’re the devil, does that make me the angel on the other?” asked Klaus, blowing out a huge puff of smoke before walking away.

Alexander stood for ten minutes, away from the flashing cameras, waiting for the whole senseless parade to end. He couldn’t help but notice how Dick tried to avoid being in as many pictures as he could, Klaus generally being the man shaking the hands of both Sindou and Ferdinando. After about fifteen minutes, Dick managed to escape and came across to Alexander.

I like how you are avoiding this whole thing,” mumbled Dick, watching as the press began to ask their routine style questions to both of the new Union Berlin players.

You know me, Dick; I just can’t stand these things. A player should be happy to join, pose for a picture or two and then get on with it. This is just ridiculous.

Such a spoil sport, aren’t you?

Oh be quiet, you old fool. So are you happy to have landed both these guys? They aren’t exactly on the right side of thirty after all.

Dick smiled, “They’ll be imperative to us in our task of staying up. I have every faith they will have proved their worth come April.

1st January 1980

1.FC Union Berlin vs. 1.FSV Mainz 05Friendly

Stadion An der Alten Forsterei, Berlin, Germany

Union seal impressive victory in a game boasting seventeen substitutes.

The seventies have officially gone now, much to the sadness of everyone who had fond memories of them. We now move swiftly on into the eighties, and we went to watch Michael Neitzel’s bottom of the table Mainz play Dickson Bohl’s Union men.

The game was presided over by Tobias Christ, who at 33 saw many players older than him on the field. Over four thousand fans braved the 0˚ temperatures, but they weren’t given a whole load to cheer about in the German winter break.

Mainz started the stronger, and Neitzel must definitely have wanted to get a good early foothold in the game. Mainz have been embarrassingly poor, and looked in desperate need of a win just to boost morale. Mohamed Coulibaly had the pace to worry the Union defence and twice he broke the backline and raced towards goal. On both occasions he came up against Matthias Lange, and both times he failed to even get the shot on target. Barton was at fault both times for the emergence of Coulibaly behind the defensive line, but he then made up for it with a game winning tackle after just half an hour.

Union weren’t without their own chances in the first half, but they weren’t always as clear cut as Mainz’s. Both Schulte and Krug had shots saved by Blanco in the Mainz goal, but they were ruing their bad luck when Krug hit the crossbar with a stunning drive from outside the area. Union were passing the ball well with new men Toure and Ferdinando running the midfield and they looked a better side when allowing Krug to roam around the centre. The veteran also seemed to be enjoying it as he stung Blanco’s gloves for a second time.

The second half was expected to bring a much calmer Mainz side out, and they were fully expected to go on and make Union regret missing their earlier chances. It didn’t happen that way, and Mainz have themselves to blame. Krug played Schulte in with a terrific pass just four minutes in, but the striker struck it weakly and into the ground. Seven minutes later and Union took a surprise lead over Mainz, Toure the architect with an absolutely superb solo run. He then squared it in the box to unselfishly pick out Schulte, who had no problem in slotting into an open goal.

The cold weather seemingly wasn’t helping the game as the substitutes coming on at intermittent periods looked frozen solid and unable/uninterested in making the match come alive. Toure seemed to thrive in the temperatures though and he should have scored his first goal with a freekick effort just sailing wide. By now the sides were looking completely different from those that started, and it did affect the way they played. As expected, it was more of a fitness test for those out there, and even that didn’t really play out as planned. The final whistle was a welcome noise for all present, including the referee who had only blown his whistle twice for fouls. It was that inactive.

Union sealed an excellent win though, and Mainz trudged off the pitch rightly disappointed at having been beaten by a lesser side, albeit in a friendly. The morale boost would have done them wonders, but instead it stays in Berlin, and could possibly give them a bit more incentive to beat the drop. “I am thrilled with a win today,” Bohl told us, “We needed a win to spark some faith into our season, and with a few more friendlies coming up I think we can continue.

1.FC Union Berlin 1 (J.Schulte 58)

1.FSV Mainz 05 0

Attendance: 4,120

1.FC Union Berlin: Lange (Fischer), Bunzenthal (Erb), T.Schulte (Werner), Cordes (Scholz), Barton, Ammari (Lang), Ferdinando (Lehmann), Lenz (Cengiz), Toure (Allofs), J.Schulte, Krug

1.FSV Mainz 05: Blanco (Kurth), Richter (Yigit), Lucke (Mina), Schneider, Loria (Banguero), Walter (Kirilenko), Neumann (Kaufmann), Traore (Gerlach), Walther (Haas), Petersen (Irrgang), Coulibaly (Washington)

MoM: Andre Walter

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 3rd January 1980

We need to talk,” snapped Alexander, dragging Dickson to one side as he halted the training session. Tomorrow Union would welcome Stuttgart for a friendly, and today was the fitness test for the boys. Alexander hadn't arrived for the session, and Dick just assumed he had something on.

Talk about being late,” laughed Dickson, Pulling back on the laughter when he saw the dour and angered look on his assistant's face. “What's wrong?

Alexander wasn't looking at Dick when he replied, “You lied to me. Granted, we haven't known each other long, but you lied to me. I thought we were friends and then I go and read a story about this guy who killed a man in Liepzig. The man escaped, and the authorities are still looking for him.”

Dick's face turned pale as Alexander continued to talk, quoting a newspaper he had in his hand. “The man in question escaped with a brown haired woman. The family of the victim have spoken of their loss, stating that their family member was a caring person, devoted to his family and the community.' So, Dick, is there anything you'd like to tell me?

Dick looked to see if anyone had over heard, and thankfully no-one had. “Can we go get a drink first?

Alexander nodded, and the pair headed to Dick's office. Once there, he poured two glasses of whiskey and slouched into his chair. “Jane was working in multi-national school in Liepzig, many of the students being sons and daughters of diplomats and high ranking officials. A month before we came here, there was an incident where the son of a West German diplomat was kidnapped by some East Germans. They knew where and when to snatch him from, and instinctively they looked to the kids teachers. For some reason the head-teacher at the school lay all the blame on Jane, and he had some political wield, meaning they didn't look any further.

By this point Alexander had taken a seat opposite, but didn't say a word. “By now we just didn't know what to do, so I did some research on the head-teacher. His father had been a Nazi politician during World War II, and apparently attended one or two Nazi meetings. He came across all squeaky clean, but he was as corrupt as anyone could ever be. I knew deep down that it was him who had sold out on the young kid, but for some reason he had so much political swagger and no-one investigated him.”

Not a single officer investigated him?

Dick shook his head, “Nope. There was someone, Detective Lars Ritz, who attempted to follow some of the leads I sent him anonymously. He never got anywhere as the investigation into Jane never stopped. I often wonder if he was silenced or made to be quiet, but going back to Liepzig to find out would be suicide.

So what happened in Liepzig?

Dick poured himself another whiskey, “We planned to leave the city, but we knew it wouldn't go away. So I went to see Markus Wiesener, the head-teacher at the school. He spilled everything to me when I probed, stating how he would frame Jane to keep his own name out of the gutter. He had his back to me, and he just kept saying how he had beaten the system and would always walk away untouched. I just couldn't take it, and picked up the nearest thing at hand. The rest I'm sure you have read.

Alexander didn't know what to say, and he just sat there quietly. He hadn't expected any of what Dickson had just said, and was still processing every detail in his head. “I still can't believe it.

Alexander, I cannot stress how this can't leave the room. But that is your choice. Do as you see fit, and tell everyone or tell no-one.

There was no reply, just more pouring of whiskey. He then stood up, “Come on Dick,” he mumbled, gulping the rest of the glass, “We've got training to finish.

Right there and then, Dick realised what that silence meant. He had a friend for life. Alexander had silently said he would never tell a soul, and that proved true over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday 4th January 1980

1.FC Union Berlin vs. VfB StuttgartFriendly

Stadion An der Alten Forsterei, Berlin, Germany

Union give decent account of themselves in closely fought out friendly with Stuttgart.

With the winter break continuing to provide us with a whole host of German friendlies, we could have been forgiven for thinking the football was back. It isn’t, and won’t be until the 15th, but for now we will make do with friendlies taking place.

This one saw Jose Buhler and his Stuttgart side travel to the capital in search of a simple yet important victory to keep up the momentum for their season as they sit top of the Bundesliga with an eight point gap over heavyweights Bayern Munich. In all truth, this should have been a relative stroll in the park for the visitors, but it didn’t really begin the way many expected.

It took just over forty seconds of game play for Union to take the lead, Schulte playing a lovely ball to Ammari. The Algerian broke the third best Bundesliga defence with such ease and struck the ball home to put the home crowd into a huge frenzy. In all honesty Stuttgart just didn’t look like they had begun, and only just began firing on all cylinders after the restart. Mauro Cano, already with 18 goals to his name this season, was the main threat for Stuttgart.

He levelled the match up at 1-1 when he picked the ball up in his own area. He subsequently ran the all the way down to the other end, where he beat both Barton and Werner before lashing the ball past Lange. It was an absolutely delightful goal, the type that he has been showing all season anyway. At 26, he has the world at his feet still, and with both Barcelona and Manchester United tracking him, he could soon find himself away from German eyes.

Five minutes later and Stuttgart were in front, this time in a much more normal fashion. Cano was involved, but only in so far as earning the freekick. Left back Ange Sanogo, currently under investigation for sexual assault, whipped the freekick over the head of the wall and right onto the right foot of German protégé Markus Braun. Braun struck it with real venom, a first time shot, past Lange and into the bottom corner. It was much more like the Stuttgart fans have seen as of late, and despite the early flourish there was little else of interest in the first half.

The second saw many different players make way, others coming on in their place just like they had in the friendlies before. With the score at 2-1, Stuttgart had it all to finish off but they failed to do so as Union struck back fourteen minutes into the half. Krug played a delightful through ball to Schulte who took under his control decently before firing home. It was a delicious and crisp finish, one the home fans know he is capable of doing so much more.

Sadly Union couldn’t hold on to their resurgence for very long, and it was hot shot Cano who struck them back down again. He and substitute Kovalenko worked together excellently to get Cano through the backline, and his first time finish was precise and powerful. Lange didn’t stand a chance, but he looked gracious as the ball rolled home, seemingly happy to acknowledge a fine piece of play when he saw one. At 3-2 there didn’t seem much chance of another comeback, and that played out true. Union could muster up nothing in response, and the only real chance for either side in the late stages was Cano striking the post with a header from a corner.

Union shouldn’t be too disappointed though, as picking two goals out against a superb team like Stuttgart is exceptional, especially when they’re a league lower. Manager Dickson Bohl said “We gave it our best shot, and came away with what I think was more belief in ourselves. We’re four without a win in the league, so belief is all we’ve got right now.”

Jose Buhler praised the intent Union showed and admitted they were slightly unlucky with the result. Stuttgart are due to play three more friendlies before action returns while Union have just the one coming up next against Unterhaching.

1.FC Union Berlin 2 (Ammari 1, J.Schulte 59)

VfB Stuttgart 3 (Cano 7, 61, Braun 12)

Attendance: 4,120

1.FC Union Berlin: Lange, Cordes, T.Schulte, Werner, Barton, Krug, Ferdinando, Lenz, Ammari, Toure, Lehmann

1.FSV Mainz 05: Schmidt, Sanogo, Kaminski, Muller, P.Malchow, Langkamp, Komarov, R.Malchow, Dimovski, Braun, Cano

MoM: Mauro Cano

• 2 weeks later...

El is more than right, plus I simply didn't have the time or information anywhere near to me to be able to recreate a full authentic 1980's German league. It simply wasn't viable. Thanks for the best wishes El and Pan!

Sunday 10th January 1980

Dick knew it wouldn’t be long before people took notice of the good young Germans in his squad, especially considering how good a run Union had given Stuttgart in the game before. Steffen Barton was the man in question, four clubs making enquiries over the course of the 10th. Greuther Furth, 1860 Munchen, Energie Cottbus and Wehen were the guilty clubs of being interested, but Dick had no interest in the £75,000 currently on the table.

Steffen had been imperative in what was a short staffed backline, his performances obviously enough to have warranted the interest shown in him. “You’re simply not leaving, Steffen,” said Dick to his defender, who were both having a glass of whiskey. This was a before training custom, usually.

What can you promise me in return though, Dickson? These are bigger clubs knocking, I’d be stupid to not look.

Wehen are a f*cking league lower than us, you idiot.

Steffen sat and rubbed his chin, “Well the other three aren’t.

You aren’t leaving, end of the conversation.

The defender remained seated, scowling. At that point chairman Klaus Bock stormed into the office, his face the picture one would expect a chairman to use when he was there to discuss money.

Barton, get the hell out of here,” he snapped, the defender scurrying like an ant at the words, before Bock took the defenders seat.

What can I do for you, Klaus?

Sell Barton,” was all he said, and it was definitely an order than a request.

But I don’t want to. He is really important to our defence Klaus, you know that all too well. If we are to end up in a relegation battle, I want good defenders on the books.

This isn’t a democracy, Dickson. I own the club. Yes, me, I own it. I also would like some money to spend next week for my daughter’s wedding, so, if you wouldn’t mind, sell Barton please.

Are you serious?

Deadly, so sell him, or I’ll break your face,” was all he said as he trudged back out of the office. Barton re-emerged at door frame now.

You still want to see me?

No, f*ck off,” snapped Dickson, picking up the phone, “You’re off to join Greuther Furth.

It isn’t great, being forced to sell your prize defender. But if the chairman has a wedding to pay for, the chairman has a wedding to pay for.

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday 13th January 1980

Friendly, Stade an der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 3 – 3 Unterhaching

(Toure 1, 70, Schmitt 75; Kalscheuer 14, Eckhardt 17, Rommel pen88)

MOTM: Sindou Toure

Attendance: 3,814

Thursday 14th January 1980

We can’t go conceding that many goals tomorrow,” mumbled Dickson.

Alexander shrugged, “You aren’t going to want to hear the following news then I don’t think.

What is it?

You already know that Krug is out banned, right?

Don’t keep me in suspense here Alex.

Ammari has fled to Algeria for international duty, and Cem Budak is injured.

Dickson held back from getting angry. This presented a serious problem to him and Alex. Budak was by far the best keeper at the club, and the replacements in line for playing tomorrow were, Alex’s words, awful. “You do realise we’re going to have to go with Lange on this one?

Dick nodded, “Sadly.

A secretary called out for Alex to come take a call, and the assistant manager trudged across to the building. Dickson continued to handle training, chucking footballs at the players who made no effort to shift their backsides in the cold winter weather. In truth, that was all of them. Alex re-emerged five minutes later, a smile on his face. “Want some more bad news?

If I’m perfectly honest, Alex, you can nob off.

Sindou Toure has earned a recall to his national side after his performance yesterday. He set off two hours ago.

Why do these people feel it necessary to NOT let me know these things?

Can you blame him? If you had the choice of playing in Africa for the nation’s cup, or staying here and playing in the freezing cold against Hansa Rostock, what would you pick?

What’s wrong with bloody cold weather? It makes men out of the boys. Anyway, if Toure isn’t here stick Winkler on instead. Schulte doesn’t look fit,” Dickson remarked, watching as the striker in question struck up a cigar on the far side of the field. “Go and tell the b*stard that he ain’t getting paid this week unless he strikes that cigar out. If Bock sees him, he’ll be in a heap more sh*t.

Is there even a point in turning up tomorrow? We’re going to lose to Rostock; the guys are in the wrong league.

Dickson waved his hand, “Nah, don’t bother. I’ll hold the fort down.

As it turned out, the two of them were completely wrong about stand in keeper Matthias Lange. It was solely down to him that Union walked travelled back to Berlin with a point on the board.

Lange made a sensational stop just before half time with his feet, before pulling another super save in the last minute of the second half. Schmitt wasted the only chance Union had, smacking a shot into the side netting. Dickson was happy to be proven wrong on this occasion by his stand in keeper, while Alexander simply put it down to luck.

Friday 15th January 1980

2. Bundesliga. DKB Arena

Hansa Rostock 0 – 0 Union Berlin

MOTM: Matthias Lange

Attendance: 15,002

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="green"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Bielefeld      |       | 18    | 12    | 4     | 2     | 29    | 14    | +15   | 40    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Karlsruhe      |       | 18    | 10    | 5     | 3     | 32    | 17    | +15   | 35    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/color] 
[color="#9acd32"]| 3rd   |       | Aachen         |       | 18    | 10    | 5     | 3     | 24    | 19    | +5    | 35    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/color] 
| 4th   |       | Rostock        |       | 18    | 8     | 5     | 5     | 22    | 18    | +4    | 29    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 5th   |       | Cottbus        |       | 18    | 8     | 5     | 5     | 21    | 17    | +4    | 29    | 
| 6th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 18    | 8     | 4     | 6     | 29    | 24    | +5    | 28    | 
| 7th   |       | Ahlen          |       | 18    | 8     | 4     | 6     | 22    | 22    | 0     | 28    | 
| 8th   |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 18    | 7     | 6     | 5     | 24    | 16    | +8    | 27    | 
| 9th   |       | Augsburg       |       | 18    | 6     | 6     | 6     | 25    | 24    | +1    | 24    | 
| 10th  |       | Fürth          |       | 18    | 5     | 8     | 5     | 26    | 28    | -2    | 23    | 
| 11th  |       | Paderborn      |       | 18    | 5     | 6     | 7     | 19    | 20    | -1    | 21    | 
| 12th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 18    | 5     | 3     | 10    | 21    | 25    | -4    | 18    | 
| 13th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 18    | 4     | 6     | 8     | 24    | 30    | -6    | 18    | 
| 14th  |       | Duisburg       |       | 18    | 4     | 6     | 8     | 16    | 23    | -7    | 18    | 
| 15th  |       | 1860 München   |       | 18    | 5     | 3     | 10    | 12    | 21    | -9    | 18    | 
[color="#ff8c00"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | St. Pauli      |       | 18    | 4     | 5     | 9     | 18    | 23    | -5    | 17    | [/color]
[color="red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 17th  |       | Oberhausen     |       | 18    | 3     | 7     | 8     | 19    | 29    | -10   | 16    | 
| 18th  |       | Düsseldorf     |       | 18    | 4     | 4     | 10    | 13    | 26    | -13   | 16    | 

Wednesday 20th January 1980

If I’m perfectly honest, it is as tight as our chairman’s wallet the bottom of that table,” sniped Alexander, the half glass of whiskey in front of him doing little to sway his disappointment at seeing the current standings.

We’ll have a much better look after the Duisburg game on Friday,” replied Dickson, now on his fourth glass. “Can I talk to you about something? But bear in mind I only want you to listen if you’ll be sympathetic.

Alexander waved his hand in response, “Fire away, friend.

I think my wife is having an affair.

I think you’re being stupid. By the way, you do know that Barton left the club this morning? He made an impression with Furth and they signed terms today.

F*cking great!” yelled Dickson. His team were six without a win and now had only one fit first team centre back. “We need to delve into the freebie market again. Get onto it Alex, that can be your job this week.

Alex stood up, finished his whiskey and saluted Dickson mockingly. “I’ll get right onto it, Lord and Master.

If you can find one before Friday, that’d be a bonus.

Stop asking for miracles, you fool. You know they don’t happen.

Friday 22nd January 1980

I am actually ******** a brick here.

A goal up, having been six without a win, was a rare experience on home turf. Duisburg was guilty of playing with no vigour though, and that fully played into Dickson’s hands.

Just relax,” snapped Alexander, seemingly getting irritated with his friends’ mood.

We need to win a bloody match Alex and right now we are in the zone.

We are in the zone? That is most definitely the worst quote you have ever uttered.

Cengiz had put Union in front with an excellently worked goal. Schmitt held the ball up nicely to bring the defenders onto him, while Cengiz ghosted around the back. He almost took one touch too many, but his poked second touch deceived the keeper and the Turk was given free rein to slide the ball home. The fans were delighted to say the least.

There was another moment just before half time Cengiz was given the ball for a penalty, Winkler having gone down in the box under a brisk push. The pressure got to him, and he spooned it well over the bar. It was disappointing but at this point, not pivotal.

Duisburg had offered nothing to this game in the way of attempts at goal, and that had the visiting fans in chorus. It didn’t do much for them though, as they still failed to venture forward.

Well I didn’t expect Duisburg to be this boring,” quipped Alexander as he struck up a cigar.

They’re clearly just scared to come at us.

It was ever so ironic that they should then hit the crossbar with a header from Boris Simon, coming close to shocking the home crowd. It was typical in football that things like that would happen. Union regained the foothold after a few shouts from the sidelines, and went close through Cengiz again, the midfield playmakers shot rattling off the post.

I think it’s going to stay like this,” mused Alexander.

He was right.

2. Bundesliga, Stadion An der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 1 (Cengiz 13) – 0 Duisburg

MOTM: Adnan Cengiz

Attendance: 11,071

"Well done on the win Dickson," mumbled Klaus as he strolled down the tunnel with his manager.

"It was needed, that much was obvious. By the way, can I have a word with you later on? There are a couple of defenders we need, so I've got a list for you."

"Who says there is any room for bringing anyone in?"

"If you want your club to stay up, Bock, you're going to need to."

It was kmball! But the next aren't as pretty sadly. :(

The conversation with Bock had gone alright, and two days later Union had signed two new central defenders on free deals. Johan Ek and Ewen Henry both signed one year deals after meeting with Bock, and they were welcome additions on the training pitch before the next league match. “Now we look in a better position to stay up,” said Dickson, defiant to prove himself a success for his chairman this season.

It better had,” mumbled Klaus, “Or you are going to be paying me back for a long time.

Friday 29th January 1980

2. Bundesliga, Playmobil-Stadion

Greuther Furth 5 (Horn 8, 17, 42, Schmidt 32, 45) – Union Berlin 3 (Lehmann 37, Henry 58, Ferdinando 64)

MOTM: Thomas Horn

Attendance: 7,587

Friday 5th February 1980

Union Berlin 1 (Schmitt 1) – Energie Cottbus 3 (Fuchs 50, Clarke 64, 80)

MOTM: Danny Clarke

Attendance: 12,665

Friday 12th February 1980

2. Bundesliga, SchucoArena

Bielefeld 1 (Lazarev 49) – Union Berlin 0

MOTM: Serghei Lazarev

Attendance: 23,893

Quite clearly, it hadn’t gone to plan. “A few weeks back you told me that these new players, defenders I’d like to add, would revamp our fortunes and help to keep us up,” snapped Klaus as he slammed the office door **** behind himself. The Union squad had only just gotten back from their trip to Bielefeld, and Dickson’s attempt at escaping without confrontation hadn’t gone well.

It’s going to take time Klaus; it isn’t an automatic fixing solution.

I get the feeling that you have no idea where you and the team are going wrong and in all honesty, this worries me.

We’re trying to fix things here, but it isn’t going as quickly as any of us would like.

You tell me to sign you two defenders, and nine goals later, with no points to show, we sit in the relegation playoff spot. So yes, I can see perfectly that it isn’t going as quickly as anyone would like. Don’t try to patronise me again.

I’m sorry sir,” murmured Dickson, suitably shot down by his employer. “I know this isn’t where you want the club to be, but that’s where it is. You knew this season was going to be tough after last season’s promotion, and right now, we aren’t technically in a relegation spot.

Klaus’s face turned red, “Dickson, get the f*ck out of my office and win some god damn matches!

Friday 19th February 1980, Berlin

He’s on my back Alexander, so we need a win today.

Don’t fret, you fool. If you start panicking then the players will sense it and start messing up. Just relax,” he replied, sparking up yet another cigar.

How can we possibly relax? We are so close to the relegation zone and games are beginning to run out for us.

Alexander didn’t reply, he just stood and watched as the players ran around on the rock hard pitch. Ice cold weather overnight had seen the mud turn solid. Paderborn had arrived in the capital at lunch time, and this was the final training prep before the game.

Let’s see how they respond to this game. It might not be all bad and we might come out of it with a win,” smiled Alex, Dickson certain he could sense sarcasm in his smile and voice.

Union would be without Peter Pernis for this one after his yellow card collection over the season, meaning Rainer Bunzenthal would be his cover for today. There were otherwise no changes from the side that lost at Bielefeld, not sparking confidence for Bock who had been down earlier in the day just to stick his oar in.

Union started the game fairly well, much better than in the previous three, and that was good to see. And it didn’t take long for the first goal to come, the home fans happy with the way it went. Lehmann and Ferdinando combined superbly to play in Toure from the right. The winger pulled in well, and his shot, despite being awfully mishit, rolled over the line to spark scenes of jubilation in the crowd.

Paderborn, sitting in 11th before todays match, simply keeled over at the disappointment of conceding the first goal. It spoke volumes about their management at the club, and Toure notched his second before long with an exact carbon copy, only this time he ensured he put enough power on the finish.

Schmitt added a third seconds before the referee blew the whistle for half time and seconds after the whistle for the second half Paderborn had pulled one back. Both we exact copies of each other, the strikers pulling out wide before lashing a cross back across into the opposite post.

The early second half goal for Paderborn ignited a sense of comeback possibilities in them, and they began knocking for a second with increased amounts of pressure. Thankfully they applied too hard on occasion and Lehmann broke away with the ball. He lashed his shot into the corner and put the lead back at three goals.

Two more goals later and it was 5-2, another monumental scoreline, with Cengiz lashing in a terrific finish from just inside the box while Evers did the same from just outside. Both scorers had been non-entities in the game, both having also picked up yellows, before bursting into the frame.

Alexander smiled as the final whistle went, “We can’t be accused of failing to entertain,” he said, shaking hands with the opposing manager. Dickson did the same before answering.

I’d have to agree with that,” was all he said, a quick glance at Bock in the directors box his next action. Bock looked back and simply nodded.

Union Berlin 5 (Toure 5, 23, Schmitt 45, Lehmann 65, Cengiz 77) – Paderborn 2 (Sauer 48, Evers 75)

MOTM: Sindou Toure

Attendance: 11,560

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="green"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Bielefeld      |       | 23    | 15    | 4     | 4     | 37    | 19    | +18   | 49    | 
| 2nd   |       | Aachen         |       | 23    | 12    | 7     | 4     | 30    | 22    | +8    | 43    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
[color="#9acd32"]| 3rd   |       | Karlsruhe      |       | 23    | 12    | 5     | 6     | 36    | 23    | +13   | 41    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 4th   |       | Cottbus        |       | 23    | 12    | 5     | 6     | 30    | 22    | +8    | 41    | 
| 5th   |       | Rostock        |       | 23    | 10    | 8     | 5     | 29    | 22    | +7    | 38    | 
| 6th   |       | Fürth          |       | 23    | 9     | 9     | 5     | 37    | 34    | +3    | 36    | 
| 7th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 23    | 10    | 5     | 8     | 34    | 29    | +5    | 35    | 
| 8th   |       | Augsburg       |       | 23    | 8     | 8     | 7     | 30    | 28    | +2    | 32    | 
| 9th   |       | Ahlen          |       | 23    | 8     | 6     | 9     | 25    | 30    | -5    | 30    | 
| 10th  |       | 1860 München   |       | 23    | 8     | 5     | 10    | 20    | 24    | -4    | 29    | 
| 11th  |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 23    | 7     | 7     | 9     | 29    | 28    | +1    | 28    | 
| 12th  |       | Paderborn      |       | 23    | 7     | 7     | 9     | 28    | 30    | -2    | 28    | 
| 13th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 23    | 7     | 4     | 12    | 26    | 29    | -3    | 25    | 
| 14th  |       | St. Pauli      |       | 23    | 6     | 7     | 10    | 21    | 24    | -3    | 25    | 
| 15th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 23    | 6     | 6     | 11    | 34    | 41    | -7    | 24    | 
[color="#ff8c00"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Duisburg       |       | 23    | 5     | 8     | 10    | 20    | 28    | -8    | 23    | [/color]
[color="red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 17th  |       | Düsseldorf     |       | 23    | 5     | 5     | 13    | 16    | 33    | -17   | 20    | 
| 18th  |       | Oberhausen     |       | 23    | 3     | 8     | 12    | 21    | 37    | -16   | 17    | 

Monday 22nd February 1980, Berlin

You’re never here for us to even try to make love, Dickson!” yelled Jane as she stormed through their house.

What are you on about? I’m here every night, Jane. Every god damn night, and it’s just the same with you. Shouting, yelling, and whatever I do to make it right you just have none of it.

We can’t have children! We have been trying for so long, and quite frankly, I think the problem is me. Do you know how it feels to think you aren’t able to have children? For someone who wants a family, it is the most mortifying thought in the world.

Dickson moved across to try and console her, but she immediately pulled away. “Go and see a doctor then, Jane.

That is the bloody problem! You are never around for me to arrange something like that; I can’t do it on my own.

Dick threw his arms up in the air. He didn’t know what to do anymore and was so close to giving up. He marched across and slumped into a chair. Jane stood looking out of the window and neither said a word to each other. She drew the curtains and walked up the stairs, “I’m going to bed,” she said, no hint of emotion or care in her voice.

What she failed to notice was that a man stood outside watching their house. He stood in front of his car, resting upon the door and smoking a cigar. As soon as the curtains closed, he jumped back into his car and drove away.

Friday 26th February 1980

Union Berlin 3 (Cengiz 12, Lehmann 82, Schmitt 91) – FSV Frankfurt 0

MOTM: Sebastian Lehmann

Attendance: 11,184

Friday 5th March 1980

2. Bundesliga, Wersestadion

Ahlen 0 – Union Berlin 1 (Toure pen65)

MOTM: Patrick Allofs

Attendance: 6,207

Friday 12th March 1980

Union Berlin 0 – Aachen 0

MOTM: Thomas Schmitt

Attendance: 14,562

Friday 19th March 1980

2. Bundesliga, ESPRIT Arena

Dusseldorf 3 (Pohl 17, 19, Popp 18) – Union Berlin 1 (Schmitt 79)

MOTM: Patrick Pohl

Attendance: 22,454

[color="green"]| 1st   |       | Bielefeld      |       | 27    | 18    | 5     | 4     | 43    | 21    | +22   | 59    | 
| 2nd   |       | Cottbus        |       | 27    | 15    | 6     | 6     | 37    | 25    | +12   | 51    | 
[color="#9acd32"]| 3rd   |       | Karlsruhe      |       | 27    | 14    | 7     | 6     | 43    | 25    | +18   | 49    | 
| 4th   |       | Aachen         |       | 27    | 13    | 9     | 5     | 34    | 25    | +9    | 48    | 
| 5th   |       | Rostock        |       | 27    | 12    | 10    | 5     | 34    | 24    | +10   | 46    | 
| 6th   |       | Fürth          |       | 27    | 11    | 10    | 6     | 44    | 37    | +7    | 43    | 
| 7th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 27    | 12    | 6     | 9     | 38    | 31    | +7    | 42    | 
| 8th   |       | Augsburg       |       | 27    | 10    | 8     | 9     | 36    | 33    | +3    | 38    | 
| 9th   |       | 1860 München   |       | 27    | 9     | 7     | 11    | 25    | 29    | -4    | 34    | 
| 10th  |       | Paderborn      |       | 27    | 8     | 9     | 10    | 31    | 32    | -1    | 33    | 
| 11th  |       | St. Pauli      |       | 27    | 8     | 7     | 12    | 26    | 29    | -3    | 31    | 
| 12th  |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 27    | 8     | 7     | 12    | 31    | 35    | -4    | 31    | 
| 13th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 27    | 8     | 7     | 12    | 39    | 44    | -5    | 31    | 
| 14th  |       | Ahlen          |       | 27    | 8     | 7     | 12    | 25    | 35    | -10   | 31    | 
| 15th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 27    | 8     | 4     | 15    | 28    | 36    | -8    | 28    | 
| 16th  |       | Duisburg       |       | 27    | 6     | 9     | 12    | 24    | 33    | -9    | 27    | [/color]
| 17th  |       | Düsseldorf     |       | 27    | 6     | 6     | 15    | 19    | 36    | -17   | 24    | 
| 18th  |       | Oberhausen     |       | 27    | 3     | 8     | 16    | 22    | 49    | -27   | 17    | 

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 26th March 1980

Union Berlin 4 (Lehmann 3, 24, Schmitt 73, 84) – St Pauli 0

Attendance: 13,504

Friday 2nd April 1980

2. Bundesliga, Allianz-Arena

1860 Munchen 2 (Welz 74, Konig 84) – Union Berlin 2 (Ferdinando pen29, 92)

MOTM: Ferdinando

Attendance: 39,546

The trip away to play Munchen had tired Dickson out no end. The travelling was the culprit, of course, though he wasn’t certain why. The trip didn’t take that long, but there was a real sense of fatigue setting in on him. Alexander had noticed when he’d fallen asleep almost as soon as they set off from Berlin.

You alright,” asked Alexander, actually quite worried about his friend. Alexander emitted the air of someone who was always joking around with not a care in the world, but when it came to family and his closest friends he was very caring and very protective.

Dick opened his eyes straight away as the team bus rolled on back to Berlin, “Yeah I’m fine, just extremely tired at the moment. I think the football is tiring me out and the travelling ain’t helping.

Alexander shrugged, “Part and parcel of the whole managerial thing.

Dickson took a swig from a bottle of water next to him, “Yes I know that. I just think that with things at home being so tense that it’s all dragging me down.

Still no luck down in that department?

Dickson looked around to check no-one had heard Alex, “Alright, keep it quiet you idiot. And for what it’s worth, no, there is no luck ‘down in that department’.

Alexander smiled at how defensive he’d become, “Listen, it will eventually. You and Jane just need to stick with it. A lot of couples go through exactly the same thing; it just takes perseverance and understanding.

Says the man with the perfect little daughter and an adorable little fella, ey?

Steffi is the loveliest little girl in the world, and Marcel, well he is a little terror of a boy.

It’s so hard for Jane to come round to yours with me, which is why she hardly does. All she has ever wanted is a family, and with us seemingly having no luck so far she continues to take it all out on me. Which is why I wanted to ask you a favour,” said Dick, leaning across the walkway down the centre of the bus to be more discreet.

No, I’m not doing it.

You don’t even know what I’m going to ask!

Yes I do, you’re going to ask me to ask Greta to have a chat with Jane. You’re so transparent Dickson, you know that right?

You’re right, it doesn’t matter.

Alex glanced across and saw his friend looking out of the window, “Alright, alright. I’ll suggest it, but don’t blame me if nothing good comes of it. On your head this one is.

You won't soon! Cheers for looking in, the style is loosely based on how Makonnen does his, which I must say is excellent.

Friday 9th April 1980

Union Berlin 1 (Lehmann 79) – Oberhausen 0

MOTM: Tasos Serepas

Attendance: 14,030

Friday 16th April 1980

2. Bundesliga, Wildparkstadion

Karlsruhe 2 (Stein 10, 15) – Union Berlin 1 (Schmitt 26)

MOTM: Martin Stein

Attendance: 24,245

Friday 23rd April 1980

Union Berlin 2 (Ferdinando 6, Schmitt 76) – Kaiserslautern 1 (Huring 50)

MOTM: Michael Schunemann

Attendance: 13,564

Friday 30th April 1980

2. Bundesliga, Stadion Oberwerth

Koblenz 0Union Berlin 3 (Schulte 23, 56, Ferdinando 45)

MOTM: Joachim Schulte

Attendance: 14,362

Sunday 9th May 1980

Union Berlin 0Augsburg 1 (Marquardt 59)

MOTM: Frank Neumann

Attendance: 16,862

| 1st   | C     | Bielefeld      |       | 34    | 22    | 7     | 5     | 56    | 27    | +29   | 73    | 
| 2nd   | P     | Karlsruhe      |       | 34    | 17    | 9     | 8     | 54    | 36    | +18   | 60    | 
[color="#ff8c00"]| 3rd   | Pl    | Cottbus        |       | 34    | 17    | 9     | 8     | 44    | 31    | +13   | 60    | 
| 4th   |       | Aachen         |       | 34    | 15    | 10    | 9     | 38    | 31    | +7    | 55    | 
| 5th   |       | Fürth          |       | 34    | 14    | 12    | 8     | 54    | 45    | +9    | 54    | 
| 6th   |       | Rostock        |       | 34    | 13    | 13    | 8     | 36    | 31    | +5    | 52    | 
| 7th   |       | Augsburg       |       | 34    | 12    | 12    | 10    | 43    | 40    | +3    | 48    | 
| 8th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 34    | 13    | 7     | 14    | 43    | 39    | +4    | 46    | 
| 9th   |       | Paderborn      |       | 34    | 12    | 10    | 12    | 39    | 39    | 0     | 46    | 
| 10th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 34    | 12    | 8     | 14    | 52    | 50    | +2    | 44    | 
| 11th  |       | Ahlen          |       | 34    | 12    | 8     | 14    | 33    | 41    | -8    | 44    | 
| 12th  |       | St. Pauli      |       | 34    | 11    | 10    | 13    | 32    | 35    | -3    | 43    | 
| 13th  |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 34    | 11    | 9     | 14    | 42    | 43    | -1    | 42    | 
| 14th  |       | 1860 München   |       | 34    | 10    | 10    | 14    | 33    | 40    | -7    | 40    | 
| 15th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 34    | 11    | 6     | 17    | 38    | 43    | -5    | 39    | 
[color="blue"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  | Pl    | Duisburg       |       | 34    | 8     | 12    | 14    | 29    | 37    | -8    | 36    | [/color]
| 17th  | R     | Düsseldorf     |       | 34    | 9     | 7     | 18    | 26    | 46    | -20   | 34    | 
| 18th  | R     | Oberhausen     |       | 34    | 3     | 9     | 22    | 27    | 65    | -38   | 18    | 

Congratulations in finishing tenth, Dickson,” said Klaus as he ushered Dick into his office. He poured a glass of whiskey and slid it across the table. Dick had never had whiskey in his boss’s office before, a true honour in itself.

I’ve done what I set out to do, and what you asked me to,” he replied, smiling profusely.

That is correct, so here,” Klaus mumbled, sliding a piece of paper across the desk. “A one-year renewal for you to do the same next season,” he said curtly, “And you can’t say no.

Why can’t I say no?

Because I pay you and Alexander peanuts and you do a good job. I think the status quo should remain the same, if you want to stay employed of course.

Well you when you put us both in such glowing terms, how could we even contemplate saying no,” muttered Dickson.

Bock threw his hands up in an innocent gesture, “What can I say.

Lucky for you I have nothing better to be doing so I’ll happily accept the deal.

Klaus raised his glass and titled it towards Dickson, receiving the customary clink of the glass. “Glad we have agreed terms. Now drink up and get out of my office.

Dickson took the hint and quickly polished off his remaining whiskey, a damn sight better vintage than the one he can afford. He got up to leave but was shouted back, “And Dickson, I’ll discuss budget with you in July. Go and enjoy the summer.

END OF SEASON PLAYER REVIEW

Cem Budak 		[18 appearances, 28 conceded, 4 clean sheets]
Florian Fischer 	[4 appearances, 5 conceded, 1 clean sheet]
Matthias Lange 	        [15 appearances, 19 conceded, 7 clean sheets]

Ralf Werner 		[12 appearances, 0 goals]
Peter Pernis 		[34 appearances, 0 goals]
Tasos Serepas 	        [34 appearances, 0 goals]
Patrick Allofs 		[34 appearances, 0 goals]
Johan Ek 		[1 appearance, 0 goals]
Ewen Henry 		[6 appearances, 1 goal]
Thorsten Schulte 	[4 appearances, 0 goals]
Rainer Bunzenthal 	[9 appearances, 2 goals]

Jan Cordes 		[24 appearances, 0 goals]
Ferdinando 		[17 appearances, 5 goals]
Farid Ammari 		[6 appearances, 0 goals]
Ralf Krug 		[20 appearances, 2 goals]
Ralf Lang 		[21 appearances, 1 goal]
Stefan Lenz 		[2 appearances, 0 goals]
Alain Mokake 		[0 appearances, 0 goals]
Adnan Cengiz 	        [35 appearances, 8 goals]
Andreas Scholz 	        [3 appearances, 0 goals]

Sindou Toure 		[8 appearances, 3 goals]
Joachim Schulte 	[13 appearances, 5 goals]
Sebastian Lehmann 	[34 appearances, 14 goals]
Thomas Schmitt 	        [31 appearances, 11 goals]
Markus Winkler 	        [5 appearances, 0 goals]

FUTURE TRANSFERS:

1.7.2010 -->Marcel Schippers [AML/FC, German, 21] from Koln for £0

1.7.2010 <-- Rainer Bunzenthal [D/WB/MR, German, 33] to Lubeck for £0

1.7.2010 <-- Ralf Lang [AML, German, 37] End of Contract

1.7.2010 --> Predrag Djordjevic [sT, Serbian, 32] from Kaiserslautern for £0

Sunday 20th June 1980

Union Berlin Best Eleven;

Matthias Lange

Peter Pernis, Tasos Serepas, Ralf Werner, Patrick Allofs

Ferdinando, Joachim Schulte, Ralf Krug, Adnan Cengiz

Thomas Schmitt, Sebastian Lehmann

OTHERS; Cem Budak, Jan Cordes, Ralf Lang, Paul Schneider, Steffen Barton, Steffen Barton, Rainer Bunzenthal, Sindou Toure

Today had been quite a busy day in Berlin, with the Fans Best Eleven not even being the biggest news. After the deal involving bringing Marc Schippers to the club had been finalised, talks between Bock and Ralph Sommer, the Koln chairman, had eventually seen a deal struck regarding Union becoming a feeder club for Koln. It opened up various opportunities for Dickson to loan players from the Bundesliga side, a real focal point of the deal according to Klaus.

Dickson stood alongside Alexander as the two chairmen shook hands for the cameras, journalists eager to speak with them on top of that. It was unusual for a deal like this to become apparent to the media, but Klaus was simply too excited by it. Either that or the money he received for TV revenue, just over three million, had made him giddy like a child.

I’m glad I’m not a chairman,” mumbled Alex who by now was bored of the whole thing. “I’m not even sure why you made me come.

Because I wasn’t about to stand around on my own,” quipped Dickson. “And anyway, you never told me how it went between our wives.

Trust me, I won’t be telling you anything should the conversation occur, which it hasn’t yet I might add. Now, go on and give me a cigar.

Dickson sighed, but then pulled out two of his finest cigars. The pair lit them up and before long were enveloped in a cloud of Cuban smoke. They just stood watching as the media frenzy finally wore off, finally giving Klaus the chance to get over to them. “You two, my office, now,” was all he said. Alexander smiled heartily, but Dickson couldn’t understand why. They reached the office and Klaus actually offered them a seat. He pulled out his cheque book, sparking interest in Alexander.

Here are your bonuses,” snapped Klaus, sliding the paper across the desk towards the pair. Alex snapped his up and almost choked on his cigar smoke as he read the numbers.

This is triple what you are supposed to give us.

I’ll have it back if you don’t want it,” he snapped back, his face completely agreeing with how he would actually take the money back in a heartbeat.

No, no,” muttered Alexander, “This’ll do nicely, and put me in the good books with the wife.”

Klaus didn’t respond to what he said, “You may leave Alexander.

The assistant manager walked out of the office in a trance, Dickson smiling at how easily he was lulled by either whiskey or money. And the two were usually mutually exclusive. “Now, Dickson, here,” he said, sliding a piece of paper across the desk. “It’s your transfer funds for the new season. I can’t say I’m fully happy at giving you this amount, but if you tell me it isn’t enough, I’ll snatch it back with the velocity of a shark.

Dickson peered at the paper, and was heartily surprised to see £875,000 written on it. Considering that he hadn’t been given a budget last season this was a massive, massive jump. It brought responsibility with it, but for now that wasn’t important as it hadn’t been spent. “Thank you.

I like you, Dickson. Don’t tell anyone I said that, but you’re a good guy. Now don’t go and spend that money on sh*t or that assumption of you will quickly turn into viewing you as little more than the stuff that comes out of my dog on a daily basis.

You’re a real charmer with words, Klaus,” joked Dickson as he got up to leave.

Get the f*ck out of my office and get that lay about Alexander to do some work then,” he snapped, nodding towards the door.

Cheers very much El. I never really thought of this as being brilliant, but the simple style makes it easy to write for.

Thursday 1st July 1980

Do you think you could have purchased a smaller defender?” asked Alexander, baffled as the new centre back rolled in to the car park.

Listen, he’s good at tackling, good positioning and off the ball awareness, and he can play midfield too,” replied Dick.

Did they forget to mention to you that he is only five foot seven? I think they saw you coming a mile off, and don’t lie, because I know you said he would slot into defence.

Alexander was right; it was something Dickson had overlooked. On paper new centre back Dick Prins was very good, except in height. His small frame meant that while he was great at putting tackles in, he simply didn’t compete in the air with taller players. “I have to admit, it’s going to be funny watching him go up against Predrag in their first training session.

Alexander lit up a cigar, “Oh well, he’s going to fit right in with our bunch of utter misfits.

Can’t be helped I guess, especially when no-one wants to move Germany.

Can’t blame them for that,” sighed the German.

Today had been a busy day of arrivals and departures as the pre-arranged transfers finally took place. New forward additions Marc Schippers and Predrag Djordjevic arrived together in the afternoon, while Dick Prins made the flight from Holland yesterday evening. Rainer Bunzenthal left for Lubeck just two hours before Schippers and Predrag arrived. Ralf Lang left with Bunzenthal, but will make his way to numerous German clubs who are trailing him.

Dickson had tucked into his transfer war chest for the first time to bring Prins to the club, the defender costing a pretty penny at £100,000 from ADO Den Haag. He wasn’t expecting to offload much more money in truth, with a few free transfers being looked at. Klaus would be delighted at receiving plenty of his money back, though Dick surmised that it might come in handy for January. Alexander handed Dickson the current team roster, “Enjoy, it took me a lot of time to compile,” he mumbled. Dick smiled, ready in anticipation for the snarky quotes that were inevitably going to follow.

Goalkeepers

Cem Budak [GK, Turkish, 30] 18, 0

Cem had a very good season when he managed to get some game time, but now will need to concentrate on his fitness and get himself ready for a fight, especially with Lange happily waiting for his chance.

Matthias Lange [GK, German, 25] 15, 0

He still isn’t as good as Budak, but when needed he stood up to the task and performed very well, even ending the season with more clean sheets than his Turkish counterpart. I personally like him more than Budak, but that’s just me.

Florian Fischer [GK, German, 18] 4, 0

I’ve been very excited about Florian in training, and I know you have too. I’m thinking this could perhaps be the season to give him some time, but that would be your final decision, Lord Dickson. If I ever get a management job of my own (unlikely, of course), then I’d fully be prepared to steal him.

Defenders

Ralf Werner [DR/C, German, 29] 12, 0

The guy is technically worse than me at playing in defence, and I’ve never actually played football professionally. Saying that, he stood up well when called upon, though I can’t imagine he’s going to get as many appearances in the coming season.

Peter Pernis [DR/L/Dm/MC, Slovakian, 20] 34, 0

Peter was largely our best defender last season, and I’ve been keeping at bay Derby County who are very interested in robbing him. He shouldn’t have a problem holding on to the right back slot once again this year. Helping Slovakia to a 0-0 draw against Germany in the World Cup hasn’t helped us.

Tasos Serepas [DL, Greek, 27] 34, 0

He is built in exactly the same mould as Peter for me, just seven years older. I know fully that Schulte is aggrieved at being unable to dislodge him, but that will only help do us good.

Patrick Allofs [DC, German, 27] 34, 0

A stunning season, just like Tasos and Pernis, and I fully expect more from him this season. He’s annoying nob, which you know, but his 6”6’ frame means you generally don’t say that to his face. Please remember to get rid of this copy after you’ve read it. I’ve heard he’s connected.

Johan Ek [DC, Swedish, 28] 1, 0

Johan didn’t really get the chance to impress after instantly injuring himself upon only his third training session, but he is a good player. Can’t really comment on his technical contributions though considering he has only one game under his belt.

Ewen Henry [DC, Martinique, 28] 6, 1

Ewen is the only defender now on our books with a goal to his name after Rainer left, and he is a very decent player for this level. Just be aware that Belgian side Zulte Waregem are tracking him at the moment, I’d hate for you to be angry at me for you losing him.

Dick Prins [DC/Dm/MC, Dutch, 31] 0, 0

I still personally think you got conned paying a hundred grand for a defender who can’t jump and is the smallest player on our team. Reserving judgement on his skills, but I know that you’ll end up playing him in midfield anyway.

Thorsten Schulte [D/WBL, German, 23] 4, 0

I have a lot of respect for Thorsten; he gets his head down and works hard for a chance. Sadly for him Tasos is ahead of him, though a few game chucked his way wouldn’t be too bad for him.

Midfielders

Jan Cordes [D/WBR/Dm/MC, German, 29] 24, 0

Jan filled in superbly for the injured Ammari and that got him noticed by us. I’m not sure there will be as many chances for him this season, though an injury to Pernis (god forbid) would warrant his selection at right back for cover.

Ferdinando [Dm/MR/C, Brazilian, 32] 17, 5

I still can’t believe you dug this guy up from the footballing abyss and then turned him into the rock at the heart of our midfield last season. He might be 32 but he is by far our best midfield asset, and we are going to need more of the same from him. He is one of few players in our team to get me sexually excited.

Farid Ammari [Dm/MC, Algerian, 25] 6, 0

Injury completely ruined Farid’s season, but now I’m confident we can get the most out of the World Cup performer. He did well for Algeria, and now we need to coax that kind of performance into ones for us.

Ralf Krug [Dm/MC, German, 35] 20, 2

Ralf is still technically good enough for us, but he is on the wrong side of 34, and that for me is extremely off-putting. His chances of playing aren’t going to be helped with the arrival of Prins, who you know will play in midfield, and the still available Brazilian and Ammari. You should consider letting him go at the end of next season.

Stefan Lenz [AML/C, German, 21] 2, 0

I know he didn’t play much last season, but he is an exciting little player. I’d like to say that a loan spell would do him the world of good, but I’d much rather have him here fighting for a first team spot.

Adnan Cengiz [AMC, Turkish, 28] 35, 8

Adnan made the most appearances for us over the course of last season, and his contributions are irreplaceable. We are going to need another terrific season from him if we want to improve on last year, though I have no doubt on his ability to do so.

Andreas Scholz [AMC, German, 30] 3, 0

You shocked me when you offered this lump a new one year deal, but oh well. He isn’t very impressive as a player, so I’m not going to say much about him because I know he isn’t likely to improve on three appearances.

Sindou Toure [AMR/C/FC, Ivorian, 31] 8, 3

Another inspired freebie if I may say so, though I don’t expect him to settle for anything less than a more permanent role this year. The fact he made appearances at the World Cup has only heightened clubs to his quality, and Nurnberg are tracking.

Joachim Schulte [AMR/ST, German, 30] 13, 5

He did well when given the chance, but I think with the two new arrivals and Sindou being here that he is going to struggle for chances this year. I like him though, he’s just like his brother.

Strikers

Marc Schippers [AML/FC, German, 21] 0, 0

I’m glad you took my advice to sign this guy up because is mega quick and decent on the ball. I think he has a screw loose mentally, but oh well, don’t we all?

Predrag Djordjevic [sT, Serbian, 31] 0, 0

The six foot one Serb is a mean looking bitch, but he is also fairly good at scoring goals. He failed to make any appearances for Kaiserslautern last season, but in the two seasons before that he netted twenty two combined.

Sebastian Lehmann [sT, German, 25] 34, 14

Sebastian never wavered for the whole of last season, and his fourteen goal tally was just rewards for a storming season. I know he can do it again, and with new partners can look forward to forging some new relationships and combinations.

Thomas Schmitt [sT, German, 20] 31, 11

I know that we both forgot how young and inexperienced Thomas was during last season, and the fact that he repaid us with eleven goals is great. He might struggle for some time with the new players joining up, but he is a long term player for us here and needn’t worry if time is hard to come by.

Markus Winkler [sT, German, 28] 5, 0

He was the only striker to not score last season, but then he hardly played. I don’t personally like him, so I’d say offload when you can.

My Preferred Eleven;

Lange,

Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Henry,

Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz, Toure

Lehmann, Djordjevic

"What a wonderful insight into the warped mind of Muller," mused Dickson, folding the paper into his pocket.

Alexander mocked him by bowing, "My pleasure."

Thank you very much SWalton.

Monday 5th July 1980

Friendly, Stadion An der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 3 (Lehmann 10, Henry 15, Winkler 75) – Redditch United 0

MOTM: Peter Pernis

Attendance: 3,866

Thursday 8th July 1980

Friendly, Kotayk

Ararat Yerevan 1 (Alexanyan pen67) – Union Berlin 1 (Schulte 48)

MOTM: Rafael Melkonyan

Attendance: 1,008

Monday 12th July 1980

Friendly, Sportanlange Heikendorf

Heikendorf 0Union Berlin 3 (Schmitt 41, Ferdinando 59, Schulte 80)

MOTM: Ferdinando

Attendance: 994

And why, may I say, is a girl like you sitting by herself?” asked the stranger, Jane turning to catch a glimpse of his face. He was handsome, for what she assumed was an American. He certainly had that tint in his accent.

My husband is away with his work in Heikendorf, leaving a ‘girl like me’ to sit here drinking by herself. And no, you may not join me before you ask.

The stranger smiled, but sat next to her anyway. “A vodka martini, shaken, not stirred,” he said to the barkeep.

Who do you think you are?” asked Jane, “James god damn Bond?

When a guy like me sits at a bar with a girl like you, I can be whoever you want me to be.

That is the worst chat up line ever, and considering I’m a married woman it would have to be something extra special.

If you’re married, where is your wedding band?

Jane tapped her pocket, “Just here. I must say, you are taking a risk wearing yours. It isn’t exactly appealing.

She filed for divorce last week, and for custody of our son. I just never got round to taking it off.

Sorry to hear that.

Her bank balance isn’t. So, listen, I’ve been thinking in the short amount of time I’ve been sat here. I think you should come back to my hotel room. Nothing shady of course, just two people having a drink and getting to know each other. We both look like we need it.

What makes you think that I’d even agree to such a thing?

I can tell by your eyes, simple as that really.

You’re very up front, maybe too up front for my liking, Mr?

The man smiled, “I’m John Rodwell.

Please to meet you John Rodwell. I’m Jane Bohl. So let me ask, where is your hotel room?

John smiled, before getting up and hooking arms with Jane. “Right this way.

Friday 16th July 1980

Friendly, Rio Tinto Stadium

Real Salt Lake 0Union Berlin 0

MOTM: Orlando Gray

Attendance: 4,323

Tuesday 20th July 1980

Union Berlin 2 (Schmitt 8, Lehmann 33) – Dassendorf 0

Attendance: 3,866

Saturday 24th July 1980

Union Berlin 1 (Scholz 88) – Tianjin TEDA 0

MOTM: Andreas Scholz

Attendance: 4,121

Dickson stood smiling as the teams left the field, the crowd happy at having experienced an unbeaten pre-season. In six days the season would get underway with a German Cup 1st Round trip to play Unterhaching, with league kicking off a week later, this time at home to Unterhaching. The talking point about the Tianjin game was Scholz scoring and being nominated man of the match.

You don’t need to look so bitter about it,” said Dickson, his face taken up with a full mouthed grin. “You have to admit, he did have a good game.

I just don’t like him, Dickson. I can’t describe it, but when it comes down to the matter, I think the guy is utterly useless on a football field.

He did just prove that he can actually have good days, showing exactly why I extended his contract.

He had a good game, once, against some Chinese no-hopers. Don’t mind if I refuse to get excited by such a fact.

You are one mardy bastard, you know that?

Oh shush,” sighed Alexander, “When it comes down to it I just don’t think that Scholz is good enough. That is my honest opinion to you, manager of the side he plays for.

When you look at it, he is hardly likely to feature much for us. Cengiz, Ferdinando and Prins are likely to hold the first team spots without any difficulty, and then there is Ammari with Lenz waiting. Don’t worry; he isn’t going to be a first team regular.

I hope so. I’m not the only one, you know. The fans did a poll with a newspaper asking whether they believed Scholz should be in the first team. Eighty eight percent said no, they don’t think he should.

Dickson smiled, “At least the other twelve percent will be okay with it then,” he replied, intending to purposely wind up Alexander.

Friday 30th July 1980

German Cup 1st Round, Generali-Sportpark

Unterhaching 1 (Ulrich 88) – Union Berlin 1 (Lehmann 80)

Unterhaching win 4-3 on penalties.

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Prins, Ferdinando, Schulte, Cengiz; Djordjevic, Lehmann

MOTM: Vladimir Radusinovic

Attendance: 9,002

Bock is going to be chomping at the bit to yell at us,” groaned Alexander, knowing full well of the fate that awaited the pair of them on their return to Berlin. “We were the better side for the whole match and came away with nothing.

Oh we got something,” motioned Dickson, “We got four ****ing injured players, a remaining ensemble knackered to the core and the knowledge that beyond our first three penalty takers, we have no others. We learned a lot today; we learned how to mess something simple up.

Sadly I don’t think that Klaus will be willing to accept that as just rewards.

Klaus can, at this moment in time, just stay out of my way. We did everything right today, except what actually mattered and that angers me.

Alexander smiled as he looked at Dickson, but he fully understood why he was in such a mood. Throughout the game the side had suffered four injuries to Prins, Ferdinando, Djordjevic and Lehmann, and that made seeing out extra time even harder. The late equaliser was a bitch to concede, but the injuries were the worst thing. Only when they got back to Berlin would they find out the extent of the damage, something Dickson was now dreading.

Nothing should be taken away from Unterhaching’s keeper, Radusinovic, who took man of the match for his extraordinary exploits and eventual game winning penalty save. It didn’t help make anyone feel better, though the 33 year old Moldovan stopper would be revelling in the limelight.

We’ve got these again in the league opener next, Dickson. I hope you have a plan to do something different.

I have a few ideas. Firstly the main issue is finding out how injured these fools are, and then building the next match squad around whoever is left. I’m not impressed with this.

As it turned out, all were out for at least two weeks, aggravating Dickson no end. Unterhaching arrived a week later, ready for round two. Union saw out July with a game against them, they would now see in August the same way.

Friday 6th August 1980

2 Bundesliga, Stadion an der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 1 (Toure 9) – Unterhaching 0

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Cordes, Krug, Schulte, Cengiz; Toure, Lehmann

MOTM: Cem Budak

Attendance: 16,017

It’s funny how much changed in this game, with the less thought of players stepping up to the plate and doing themselves justice. IT was also quite funny to see Budak take man of the match for this one, but he rightly deserved it. He made three terrific stops from close range to keep Dickson’s side in it.

Much better,” smiled Dickson.

Cheers so much boys, really happy with how this misfit of a story is being received. The style chops and changes I know, but it is the information being conveyed which is supremely important. Cheers again!

Friday 13th August 1980

2 Bundesliga, Wersestadion

Ahlen 3 (Friedrich 29, Schmidt 85, Mputu 88) – Union Berlin 1 (Pernis s/off 52, Schmitt 75)

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Cordes, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Lehmann, Djordjevic

MOTM: Andreas Schmidt

Attendance: 10,095

Friday 20th August 1980

2 Bundesliga, Stadion Oberwerth

Koblenz 0 (Baumann s/off 52) – Union Berlin 0 (Krug s/off 36)

Budak; Cordes, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Krug, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Lehmann, Djordjevic

Attendance: 15,000

Friday 27th August 1980

2 Bundesliga, Stadion An der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 0Kaiserslautern 0

Budak; Cordes, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Ammari, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schippers, Djordjevic

Attendance: 13,086

As the chair smashed into the window, the doctor retreated in fear. Dickson wasn’t angry, he was downright upset and he had every reason to be. The results had come back from his test, and it hadn’t shocked him completely. The doctor slowly worked his way back towards Dickson, “Please, Dickson, just sit down for a second.

Dickson was crying, “I don’t want to sit down!

There are options, things you can do, plans that can be put in motion. This isn’t the end of the road.”

Do you have children Mr Berger?

Yes, I do, I have a daughter.

Then don’t you dare tell me about what it is like to be unable to have children, because you have no idea.

I have every idea, Dickson. I’ve seen so many people in your position, and they eventually find a way to be happy and to overcome the problem.

I think you should stop talking right about now,” snapped Dickson as he parked himself back on the seat he had just used as a weapon against the window. “I wanted my own child, my own son who I could forge in my image and teach simple things like riding a bike and playing football. I don’t want anything but that.”

Berger refrained from saying anything else, simply to preserve more of the glass nearby. The pair sat quietly, Dickson staring absently while Berger tried to say something worthwhile to him. “It will get better,” he said softly.

His words made no difference as Dickson stood up, “Thank you doctor, that will be all,” he mumbled as he left.

Cheers very much dgibson.

Wednesday 15th September 1980

2 Bundesliga, Millerntor-Stadion

St Pauli 2 (Peter 1, Seeger pen71) – Union Berlin 1 (Schmitt 80)

Budak; Cordes, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Ammari, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Schmitt, Schippers, Djordjevic

MOTM: Nicolai Grundei

Attendance: 23,021

Friday 17th September 1980

Union Berlin 0Hannover 2 (Lehmann 44, Madsen 46)

Budak; Cordes, Serepas, Allofs, Henry; Ammari, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Schmitt, Schippers, Djordjevic

MOTM: Lasse Madsen

Attendance: 12,357

Friday 24th September 1980

2 Bundesliga, Frankfurter Volksbank Stadion

FSV Frankfurt 0Union Berlin 1 (Cengiz 23)

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Ammari, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schmitt, Djordjevic

MOTM: Peter Pernis

Attendance: 8,234

[color="#2e8b57"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Fürth          |       | 7     | 7     | 0     | 0     | 20    | 4     | +16   | 21    | 
| 2nd   |       | Hannover       |       | 7     | 6     | 1     | 0     | 10    | 0     | +10   | 19    | 
[color="orange"]| 3rd   |       | Hertha BSC     |       | 7     | 4     | 2     | 1     | 14    | 5     | +9    | 14    | 
| 4th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 7     | 4     | 2     | 1     | 9     | 5     | +4    | 14    | 
| 5th   |       | Ahlen          |       | 7     | 4     | 2     | 1     | 8     | 4     | +4    | 14    | 
| 6th   |       | Rostock        |       | 7     | 3     | 3     | 1     | 10    | 4     | +6    | 12    | 
| 7th   |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 7     | 3     | 2     | 2     | 7     | 5     | +2    | 11    | 
| 8th   |       | St. Pauli      |       | 7     | 3     | 2     | 2     | 6     | 6     | 0     | 11    | 
| 9th   |       | 1860 München   |       | 7     | 3     | 1     | 3     | 7     | 7     | 0     | 10    | 
| 10th  |       | Mainz          |       | 7     | 2     | 2     | 3     | 6     | 5     | +1    | 8     | 
| 11th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 7     | 2     | 2     | 3     | 4     | 7     | -3    | 8     | 
| 12th  |       | Aachen         |       | 7     | 2     | 1     | 4     | 5     | 6     | -1    | 7     | 
| 13th  |       | Augsburg       |       | 7     | 2     | 0     | 5     | 7     | 11    | -4    | 6     | 
| 14th  |       | Paderborn      |       | 7     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 5     | 11    | -6    | 6     | 
| 15th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 7     | 1     | 2     | 4     | 1     | 6     | -5    | 5     | 
[color="orange"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Ingolstadt     |       | 7     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 5     | 16    | -11   | 4     | [/color]
| 17th  |       | Unterhaching   |       | 7     | 0     | 3     | 4     | 3     | 15    | -12   | 3     | 
| 18th  |       | Offenbach      |       | 7     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 3     | 13    | -10   | 1     | 

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 1st October 1980

Union Berlin 1 (Schippers 13) – Furth 2 (Kunnapuu 45, Pejic 46)

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Ammari, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Marko Kunnapuu

Attendance: 10,719

Friday 15th October 1980

2 Bundesliga, Energieteam Arena

Paderborn 2 (Kuhn 52, Bender 79) – Union Berlin 1 (Cengiz 26)

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Daniele Bender

Attendance: 11,179

The club bus had wearily arrived back into Berlin just an hour before, and the drive from the stadium to home was a depressing one. Union were now without a win in three and completely guilty of wasting two leads in successive matches. It was the hardest thing to swallow, although for now it wasn’t showing signs of becoming a pandemic. Dickson sighed as he went inside the house, half expecting another tirade of monumental proportions from his wife.

Dickson?” she called from the kitchen, popping her out around the door frame.

Good evening,” he replied as he put his coat on the rack.

Come in here please.

Dickson checked the mail first, and after finding nothing of interest then made his way to the kitchen. “What’s up?

I have some extraordinary news,” she giggled, “And you won’t believe me when I tell you.

Dickson tried his best to look interested, and just about managed to pull it off. “Go on then, share all.

Well I went to see the doctor today,” she started before Dickson cut her off. He had yet to talk to her about what he had learnt from the doctor last month having yet found the guts and willpower to do so.

What did you go there for?

It was to get some test results back about my fertility as a potential mother. He told me that everything was fine, so I recommended to him that you go see him. We made the appointment, but then everything changed when I got home!

Jane you can’t just go about setting up doctor’s appointments for me, especially with something like this.

But it doesn’t matter now!” she said excitedly as she moved closer.

Why?

Because I took another test today! I’m pregnant Dick; I’m pregnant with our child!

Dickson slumped into the nearest seat, his face a picture of horror and sadness. “Well you could at least look a bit f*cking happier.

He got up and kissed her on the cheek, pulling her close. “Of course I’m happy, Jane.

His heart was still sinking even as he held her close. He loved her with all his heart, but it meant only one thing. She was having, or had had, an affair. And he didn’t know what to do.

Archived