Secrets in Berlin

HorusFM

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys. I'd like to say though, I do have a romantic streak in me as you'll eventually find out!

Friday 22nd October 1980

2 Bundesliga, Stadion An der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 1 (Lehmann 42) – 1860 Munchen 0

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Lehmann, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Matthias Lange

Attendance: 11,284

Friday 29th October 1980

2 Bundesliga, Olympiastadion

Hertha BSC 2 (Carson pen19, Dziewulski 71) – Union Berlin 0

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Daniel

Attendance: 11,179

She cheated on me, Alex, and she is now pregnant with his baby. What on earth am I supposed to do?” groaned Dickson as he quickly drank down his whiskey. The pair were at a local bar after getting home from the trip to Hertha.

You still haven’t told me how you know she cheated, Dickson. Did she tell you she had?

Of course she didn’t, but I went to the doctors about a month back, and he firmly told me that I won’t be able to have kids.

Alexander quickly understood why Dickson was so hurt by what was going on, but had no idea what to say in response. “You have to talk about it with her; she needs to know that you know.

Jesus, I can’t do that. It would ruin everything.

And keeping it all in wouldn’t? It would slip out eventually, whether it be in an argument or any other form, and then the sh*t really would hit the fan.

Dickson took a swig from the bottle of beer in front of him and slid a note across the counter. “I can’t do that, I just can’t.

Then have you accepted the fact that you are going to be bringing up someone else’s baby if you stay with her? Could you live with that and still treat the child well, knowing what you do?

They wouldn’t ever know, trust me. I would love that child no end and protect it with my life.

Then you know what you have to do.

Dickson nodded, “Yes, and that, is nothing.

Friday 5th November 1980

2 Bundesliga, Stadion An der Alten Forsterei

Union Berlin 0 Ingolstadt 1 (Schmidt 63)

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Lehmann, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Patrick Bopp

Attendance: 12,896

Wednesday 24th November 1980

2 Bundesliga, impuls arena

Augsburg 1 (Gustafsson 82) – Union Berlin 0

Budak; Pernis, Serepas, Allofs, Ek; Prins, Ferdinando, Cengiz; Toure, Schmitt, Schippers

MOTM: Jouko Gustafsson

Attendance: 21,148

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="green"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Fürth          |       | 13    | 11    | 1     | 1     | 30    | 10    | +20   | 34    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Hannover       |       | 13    | 9     | 2     | 2     | 19    | 8     | +11   | 29    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/color] 
[color="blue"]| 3rd   |       | Hertha BSC     |       | 13    | 8     | 3     | 2     | 24    | 10    | +14   | 27    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 4th   |       | Ahlen          |       | 13    | 7     | 4     | 2     | 18    | 7     | +11   | 25    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 5th   |       | Kaiserslautern |       | 13    | 6     | 4     | 3     | 15    | 10    | +5    | 22    | 
| 6th   |       | 1860 München   |       | 13    | 6     | 3     | 4     | 15    | 11    | +4    | 21    | 
| 7th   |       | Augsburg       |       | 13    | 6     | 1     | 6     | 20    | 18    | +2    | 19    | 
| 8th   |       | Paderborn      |       | 13    | 5     | 4     | 4     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 19    | 
| 9th   |       | Rostock        |       | 13    | 4     | 6     | 3     | 13    | 10    | +3    | 18    | 
| 10th  |       | Mainz          |       | 13    | 4     | 5     | 4     | 13    | 11    | +2    | 17    | 
| 11th  |       | Ingolstadt     |       | 13    | 4     | 3     | 6     | 15    | 22    | -7    | 15    | 
| 12th  |       | FSV Frankfurt  |       | 13    | 4     | 2     | 7     | 13    | 18    | -5    | 14    | 
| 13th  |       | St. Pauli      |       | 13    | 4     | 2     | 7     | 10    | 18    | -8    | 14    | 
| 14th  |       | Aachen         |       | 13    | 3     | 4     | 6     | 7     | 12    | -5    | 13    | 
| 15th  |       | Union Berlin   |       | 13    | 3     | 2     | 8     | 7     | 15    | -8    | 11    | 
[color="#ff8c00"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Offenbach      |       | 13    | 2     | 4     | 7     | 10    | 18    | -8    | 10    | [/color]
[color="red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 17th  |       | Koblenz        |       | 13    | 2     | 3     | 8     | 7     | 16    | -9    | 9     | 
| 18th  |       | Unterhaching   |       | 13    | 1     | 3     | 9     | 12    | 30    | -18   | 6     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

It was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Bock had seemingly had enough, and considering he was trigger happy at the best of times, it came as no surprise when he called Dickson into his office. “Don’t even think about doing what I think you’re going to do, Klaus.

Dickson, let’s lay it on the table. I gave you; what I hear on the grapevine, was the fourth highest budget in the league to work with. You decided to not spend any of it, and then I look at results. We sit fourth bottom, and have only won three out of thirteen. Please, feel free at any time to tell me where I’m going wrong.

Dickson sat uncomfortably across the table, struggling to come up with a response. Every point made was right, and there was no way of denying that this season hadn’t gone to plan at all. “Is this the end of the road for me then?

You know it is. We kept the faith in you, and you let everyone down with what has been a poor season so far. We need to have someone at the helm that can make sure we stay up. Right now that person isn’t you, whether it is for personal reasons or just lack of skill. I’m sorry, Dickson, you’re an alright guy, but it isn’t working between us.

I’ve got a kid on the way, Klaus, please don’t do this.

Sorry but it has to be done. I need to do what is best for my club, and right now, you aren’t it.

Dickson stormed out, not saying another word, slamming the door as he left. Klaus shook his head before picking up the phone and getting on with his job.

A very unfortunate ending I'm afraid. It means this story is pushed along to it's finale quicker than anticipated, but there is more to come from Dickson's career in the next thread. This does serve, however, as a reminder that not every manager is successful in FM! :D

11th June 1981

Having found himself a coaching job with Oberhausen since being fired by Klaus Bock, Dickson had kept quiet and had minimal contact with all his previous associates in Berlin. For the six months since the pair had moved to Oberhausen only Alexander had gone on to visit Dickson in his new home. Life was generally quiet now, and with Jane being so close to giving birth Dickson had to keep his life in check to ensure nothing came out of the blue. He sat in the bar; drink in hand, Alexander by his side.

You excited?” asked Alexander.

Dickson smiled, “I am actually. We still don’t know what we’re having, so the surprise will be nice I guess.

Alexander smiled in response, but it turned to a frown fairly quickly. “I’m guessing you still never mentioned knowing that the kid won’t be yours?

Nope, never did. Funnily things between me and Jane have been really good since leaving Berlin. I don’t want to ruin that now.

Alexander shrugged, “Can’t argue with that,” he said before pointing towards the bar keeper, “Whiskey please. Having a family was the best thing I ever did.

Other than stealing my job after I left?

Alexander smiled, knowing Dickson was only kidding. He had gone on to be offered the Union Berlin job though, Bock clearly not wanting to sift through the endless applications. The season had of course finished now, and Alexander had led the team to 11th in the league. “It’s alright, we all felt you were let go of a little too easy by Klaus.

How is the old battleaxe?

He’s getting old.

Have you told him that?

I value my job.

You mean you value my job?

I value your job.

The pair smiled before another set of drinks. The barkeeper was distracted temporarily by a phonecall, before motioning towards Dickson. “For you,” he said, leaving it unhooked.

Dickson walked across and picked it up, “Dickson here.

Dickson, its Dr Fleischer. Your wife has just arrived after her waters broke forty minutes ago, and she gave us this number to find you on. She’s asking for you.

Dickson didn’t need to be asked a second time, and within five minutes both he and Alexander were speeding their way to the hospital.

Alexander pulled the car into the car park, Dickson jumping out before he had even stopped the vehicle moving. He was up and into the reception in seconds, but there wasn’t anyone in sight. “Hello?” asked Dickson, desperate to get to Jane. An old and rather rugged woman appeared from a doorway, and frowned.

Yes, sir?” she asked impatiently.

I’m looking for my wife; she was brought in here about an hour ago after her waters broke.

And what is her name?

Jane Bohl.

The receptionist typed into a basic computer in front of her, “She is in room four up in the maternity ward,” she mumbled, pointing in its general direction.

Dickson nodded his appreciation, but she didn’t seem all that bothered. Alexander had rejoined him now and they both skipped up the stairs, the elevator having been already up and above that floor. They took the stairs three at a time, both running short on breath very quickly. They weren’t the most in shape men.

As they reached the correct floor they found themselves lost in a maze. “Where the hell is room four?” snapped Dickson. Alexander’s eyes were prowling the area and he eventually spotted the right one.

This way,” he said, dragging Dickson in his direction.

They found room and Dickson burst in, so relieved to see Jane on the other side. “I’m glad you could make it,” she said. He leant across and kissed her on the forehead.

I’ll be waiting outside,” smiled Alexander. He closed the door behind him, and fell asleep during the hour the birth actually took.

Dickson couldn’t believe what he had seen, and as Jane was now resting up with sleep he held the baby in his hands. Despite knowing what he knew, he couldn’t help but love what he held in his hands.

Jane woke up twenty minutes later, but she wasn’t happy. She had tears in her eyes, “Dickson, there is something you need to know.

Dickson smiled, “Jane, don’t worry about it,” he said, cutting her off before she could say anything. “Whatever it is you want to say, I already know.

She continued crying, but motioned for him to come closer. The pair kissed, and Dickson handed the baby to her. Alexander knocked on the door, Dickson nodding for him to come in. “He’s gorgeous,” he said, “Calling him Alexander I hope?

Hell no, who’d want a name like that?

Jane and Alexander both did the normal thing when a newborn baby was around, Dickson taking the time walk across to a little cot where a nurse was stood. He reached in and lifted out another baby.

So Alex, what do you think about this one too?”

Alexander stood up and was shocked. “You had twins!

Yeah,” beamed Dickson. “They aren’t identical, the doctor says, but yeah. Twins.

Alexander asked to hold the one in Dickson’s hands, and he passed her across. “Oh my, how cute is this little girl?

She’s gorgeous, and she is my little girl.

Do they have names yet? Because twins called Alexander and Alexandria would be amazing.” asked Alexander.

Jane managed a tired laugh, “This is James, and that one in your hands, is Kristina.

That brings an end to this part of Dickson's story. Cut short a little by my failings in the German Second Division, of course. Hope you enjoyed this and follow the next chapter in his life.

Cheers for reading this, guys.

Archived