[FM10] Cristoval Alvarez Goes Behind The Curtain

iseemonsters1

Game Setup: 10.1 Patch, Small database

Leagues Loaded: Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Ukraine

Start Date: July 2009

It's the return of my Uruguayan management alter-ego, Cristoval Alvarez, a 26 year old semi-professional footballer. You may remember him from such half finished adventures as Cristoval Alvarez Attempts to Take Over The World and Travelling Into The Unknown...

It's been a while since I've played either of those careers for all sorts of reasons, and I'm sure most of you are familiar with the problems of trying to get back into a game once you've stopped for a while. So, it's time to start a new career - this time my intrepid alter ego will be exploring the fascinating footballing environment of Eastern Europe. My general rule of thumb will be - if I'm managing a team I've heard of, I must be doing something right! :D And yes, I know, I ripped off the title from Jonathan Wilson's book - Behind The Curtain - which I haven't even read. It's supposed to be excellent though, so it's definitely on my "to read" list.

In an even more exciting twist though, I've been inspired enough by the new social media integration features in FM11 to jump the gun and tweet my FM10 adventures in Eastern Europe. You can follow along at twitter.com/calvarezfm. I'll be using the hashtag #fm10career if anybody else wants to tweet their own career updates!

mksodrawodzislaw.png

Odra Wodzislaw Slaski

Poland - Ekstraklasa - December 5th 2009

It took a few months for any club to take a flier on our young Uruguayan manager - but eventually, Odra Wodzislaw Slaski of the Polish top flight decided to give our hero Cristoval Alvarez a shot. Of course, given the fact that they are bottom of the league and in severe danger of relegation they probably didn't have too many other good options. The season has already reached the halfway point, with my first match in charge not coming for a couple of months because of the winter break. Here's how the league table stands at the break.

Short term goals: Survive in the top flight - Relegation is clearly a big threat and with no wage budget and very little transfer funds to play with, I'll have to effect a turnaround pretty much with the players I have rather than being able to make big changes to the squad. So let's stay in the division this time, and see if there's any potential for improvement over the coming years.

Long term goals: Do well enough to attract a bigger club - As disloyal as it may seem right at the start of my time with a club, let's be honest - I didn't embark on this career to spend years languishing in the lower reaches of the Polish top flight with a team that doesn't have a lot of upside. The aim then is to do a good enough job that I get the chance to manage at a higher level.

Archived