FM 2011 Official System/Specs Thread

Alright, I'm looking into buying this laptop. http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Dell-Laptops/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15-intel-n5010&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Would only be able to buy the first or second column, third is too expensive.

Just want to know if it'll be good enough to run a good number of leagues at a fair speed. 3D isn't that important. Apart from FM, will only be used apart from that for surfing the internet and general school work.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^

Link not working for me. Take me to dell homepage.

Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop

Intel® Pentium® Processor T4500 (2.30 GHz, 800 MHz, 1MB)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

15.6" High Definition (1366x768) WLED Display with TrueLife

Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD

Memory : 3072MB (1x1024 + 1x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

15-20 leagues.

3D on med/high.

I would suggest getting 4GB RAM (more is always better) and a 7200rpm hard drive (makes a huge diff in general use) by customizing.

Thanks mate. How about this one?:

Intel® Pentium® Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

500GB (5400RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Thanks mate. How about this one?:

Intel® Pentium® Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

500GB (5400RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Not much different.

Are they priced similarly??

Ishu - you seem to be the person who has the info - will be looking at getting a new laptop soon - mainly for FM2011 and surfing the net.

Not too bothered about 3d match engine - just want to run as many leagues as poss without it slowing down - currently have a Dell but it's not too great - have had an acer before and didn't like it that much.

Would love it if there's anything around £500 or under - any ideas?

P.S. From seeing your posts it seems 4gb is the best for running FM - is there any other main things to consider - yes...'main things' is my level of techtalk!

Ishu - you seem to be the person who has the info - will be looking at getting a new laptop soon - mainly for FM2011 and surfing the net.

Not too bothered about 3d match engine - just want to run as many leagues as poss without it slowing down - currently have a Dell but it's not too great - have had an acer before and didn't like it that much.

Would love it if there's anything around £500 or under - any ideas?

P.S. From seeing your posts it seems 4gb is the best for running FM - is there any other main things to consider - yes...'main things' is my level of techtalk!

Yep 4GB with the best possible CPU.

Ishu - in fact I've only had my Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop for a couple of years - the specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.00 GHz

2.00 GB RAM

The battery is knackered on it and needs replacing (seems like if you keep it plugged in all the time it fries the battery - or that's what many have reported on internet forums). The HDD got knackered on it last year but the IT lads replaced it, albeit with a crappy 80GB HDD. It's OS is Vista as well!

Would it be worth me upgrading this laptop rather than buying a new one?

Is it easy to upgrade? Would I need to get quite a bit of technical help?

Seeing as I've only had this for a couple of years I only want to shell out on a new one if really needed (my fault for only buying a crappy £300 laptop).

Cheers for any help...much appreciated!

The GB bit I understand - what exactly am I looking for when it comes to checking the CPU - is that the processor speed?

One way can be shortlisting all laptops with 4GB RAM, your personal features (Size, Price, Looks etc) and then note their exact CPU model nos. Then look up a benchmarking site like tomshardware or something and check the "rendering" and "video encoding" benchmarks. Keep eliminating and trimming your shortlist

That will give you a fair idea. Then ask me which out of those is better. :)

Would it be worth me upgrading this laptop rather than buying a new one?

Is it easy to upgrade? Would I need to get quite a bit of technical help?

No, No & No.

Your laptop is quite similar to mine (My battery is knackered as well :D).

I am runnning W7 and its OKish. FM with around 10 leagues is decent.

Formatting with XP/W7 will help a little, but otherwise I wouldn't upgrade anything.

Seeing as I've only had this for a couple of years I only want to shell out on a new one if really needed (my fault for only buying a crappy £300 laptop).

Cheers for any help...much appreciated!

A £500 wouldn't last much more than that tbh. 3yrs is the lifespan of most PCs.

Hey guys,

I currently have this laptop: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VAIO-VGN-FW21E-Bluetooth-Widescreen/dp/B001KSCHHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292955248&sr=8-1

And i was just wondering whether the setup would be able to handle about 10-20 leagues with about 40,000 players? Or would it be able to load more leagues an players?

I am also currently thinking about getting a new graphics card due to the one it bein pretty rubbish compared to the newish ones.

Just to add, does anyone know a good website that sells some good quality laptop graphic cards? Every site i have looked at refer me back to desktop graphics.

I am also currently thinking about getting a new graphics card due to the one it bein pretty rubbish compared to the newish ones.

Just to add, does anyone know a good website that sells some good quality laptop graphic cards? Every site i have looked at refer me back to desktop graphics.

Have you ever build a desktop PC from scratch. Because messing with the inside of the laptops is much more difficult than that. Heck even opening the laptop is more difficult than that.

Also you need to make sure that your laptop has a slot to take the graphic card in. If it has onboard then it probably doesn't.

You might be better of getting a express card graphic card thing from MSI. It can take upto a HD5670 which can play any game till now at high.

Both of the thing are hard to find. Try looking up on ebay.

I have built my own desktop and i know that laptops are more difficult to open, but i am currently an IT technician apprentice at a microsoft academy and so we repair and upgrade laptops and desktops regulary.

I am pretty sure the graphics card is not an onboard type, but i will look around for the express cards and hopefully will find a good one.

Also could you answer the question in my previous post please? about the player and leagues?

Was just saying ;)

You talking about the CPU & RAM of the laptop i currently have? If so its:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz

RAM: 4GB

Ohhh i get you now, thanks for clearing that up, you can tell i'm a rookie at this IT technician stuff. And this MSI thing, will it mean i'll have a desktop graphics card having out the side of my laptop?

Hi guys,

Would this system allow me to run FM11 ok? Also how many leagues/players I could get out of it? I last had FM 09 which ran fine so hopefully 2011 will be ok.

■Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 (1.8 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB L2 cache)

■Intel 965GM + ICH8-M Chipset

■1024 MB DDR2 RAM

■Intel® GMA X3100 PCI Express (up to 256MB shared memory)

■15.4” TFT WXGA - 1280x800

■160 GB SATA HDD

Many thanks,

FM and that is it most likely, maybe CIV.

Not hardcore. :p

OC? Overclock? Dunno how to :D

No monitor or speakers.

Windows 7 64 bit please!

And I currently have a dell PC with 1GB ram and a 2.56 GHZ processor. It's ****.

Finally, the AUD is on parity with the USD, therefore 1AUD = 1USD. :)

Haven't played FM since FM2009 as my 7yr old PC wasn't capable of 3D. Two weeks ago and after a lot of research on sites like "Build Your Own", "Toms Hardware" and "Overclockers" I finally ordered, bought and built the desktop system in the link below for £450. It runs FM2011 effortlessly, click continue and it is there no waiting time at all. It saves the game in a few seconds, but for some strange reason takes a few seconds to Exit. All the parts are compatible and for some of you who have mentioned building your own but not sure how to do it I am 60 and it was very easy. In fact if you can make a Lego model you can build a PC.

http://www.budgetbuybuild.com/specmanager/15996/

AMD x6 1090T BE @ $259

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ $129

GSkill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333MHz CL7 @ $79

Seagate 1TB @ $69

CM Elite 430 @ $69

Corsair CX400W @ $65

TOTAL $670

This can run around 60 to 70 leagues comfortably.

And CIV on medium-high.

If you want CIV on high (And nearly ever other game on med/high)

Get a HD5670 @ $105 and 1055T @ $199 instead of 1090T. Total $715. 40 to 50 leagues.

Hi guys

I have a Dell mini 10 notebook - 1.66GHZ, 0.99 GB and working off an intel Atom processor (i know the specs are poor but due to some lovely thieves it's all i am working with now!)

I have tried to play FM through this using a DVD drive but despite being able to install it, I cant run it, and everytime i click it again, it tells me that FM is already running.

What can be done (short of getting a new laptop - which is the long term plan!!) or is that the intel atom is simply not powerful enough.

Thanks

AMD x6 1090T BE @ $259

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ $129

GSkill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333MHz CL7 @ $79

Seagate 1TB @ $69

CM Elite 430 @ $69

Corsair CX400W @ $65

TOTAL $670

This can run around 60 to 70 leagues comfortably.

And CIV on medium-high.

If you want CIV on high (And nearly ever other game on med/high)

Get a HD5670 @ $105 and 1055T @ $199 instead of 1090T. Total $715. 40 to 50 leagues.

That looks very good Ishu and is a similar set up to what I had planned. Oh and it being able to run 60 leagues is amazing!

Thanks for your help! :)

EDIT: The RAM you have linked is different to your description. And I also need an OS.

Right, I had a look around yesterday, as my laptop is well and truly on its last legs, and found these three. I have simply no clue whatsoever when it comes to laptops, so would be happy if someone would tell me the best laptop for FMing. 3D is absolutely essential, but I don't play anything else on it, just word processing, spreadsheets etc, so it doesn't need to be graphically intensive

Acer Aspire 5551

AMD Athlon II X2 Processor P320 (2.1 GHz)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics up to 1405MB HyperMemory

15.6" HD LED LCD

3GB DDR3 Memory

320GB HdD

DVD Super Multi DL Drive

Acer Nplify 802.1 b/g/n

6 cell Li-ion battery

£399

Toshiba Satellite C660D-195

Windows 7 Home Premium

15.6" screen

DVD Dual Layer RW

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

1 year warranty

4GB RAM

Intel Celeron T3500, 2.1 GHz

£399

Dell Inspiron 1545

Windows 7 Home Premium

15.6" screen

DVD Dual Layer RW

Integrated GMA 5400 HD

1 year warranty

4GB RAM

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500, 2.3 GHz

500GB HdD

£449

Thanks in advance for any advice. Don't mind paying the extra £50 for the dell if it is much better. As I said, what I know about specs and stuff could be written on the back of a postage stamp, so I just listed what the thing in the shop said. Sorry if I missed anything out, and I would be very grateful if someone could tell me which one is the best PC/the best value

Cheers

Hi guys

I have a Dell mini 10 notebook - 1.66GHZ, 0.99 GB and working off an intel Atom processor (i know the specs are poor but due to some lovely thieves it's all i am working with now!)

I have tried to play FM through this using a DVD drive but despite being able to install it, I cant run it, and everytime i click it again, it tells me that FM is already running.

What can be done (short of getting a new laptop - which is the long term plan!!) or is that the intel atom is simply not powerful enough.

Thanks

I have seen many people with atoms running FM.

Anyways make a new thread in the PC support forum, with every small detail.

Hi, how many leagues can I run on this configuration:

AMD Phenom X2 555 Black Edition 3,2 Ghz

4GB DDRAM3 Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz

HD Radeon 5770 1GB

ASUS M4A77T

WD Caviar 1TB Green Edition (64MB Cash)

Greetings.

20 to 25.

That looks very good Ishu and is a similar set up to what I had planned. Oh and it being able to run 60 leagues is amazing!

Thanks for your help! :)

EDIT: The RAM you have linked is different to your description. And I also need an OS.

Here is the correct RAM link.

I think W7 Home premium is $65.

Either get 1055T instead of 1090T. Or pay extra.

1090T is very easy to overclock as it is a "Black Edition". 1055T is a little more complicated.

If you can get a friend to overclock the 1055T to around 3.8GHz, it will perform as good as 1090T at 3.8GHz.

Right, I had a look around yesterday, as my laptop is well and truly on its last legs, and found these three. I have simply no clue whatsoever when it comes to laptops, so would be happy if someone would tell me the best laptop for FMing. 3D is absolutely essential, but I don't play anything else on it, just word processing, spreadsheets etc, so it doesn't need to be graphically intensive

Thanks in advance for any advice. Don't mind paying the extra £50 for the dell if it is much better. As I said, what I know about specs and stuff could be written on the back of a postage stamp, so I just listed what the thing in the shop said. Sorry if I missed anything out, and I would be very grateful if someone could tell me which one is the best PC/the best value

Cheers

Not much difference between them. I would ignore the Acer as they have poor build quality, and the difference between Dell and Toshiba isn't much. Both will run around 15 leagues.

Hi Ishu, I could use some advice. I'm torn at the moment between the Phenom II x4 965 BE and the Phenom II x6 1055T. I wasn't going to bother with a hexacore, but given there's so little price difference between the two I've decided its worth investigating. FM will probably be the only app I'll use that will push the CPU hard. My problem is that I'm not certain whether the higher clock speed of the quad will outweigh the two extra cores of the hexa for FM, or vice versa. The stock speed of the quad is 3.4Ghz, which I can probably OC to around 3.9ish, whereas the hexa is 2.8 which I can push to somewhere around 3.3 I would expect.

I seem to recall that FM only supports threading when processing match results, whereas all other processing (training etc.) uses only one core. Is that still the case?

Archived