Anyone still using old skool 4-4-2

Problem with 4-4-2 is it's dated. Works at sunday league level best where players/coaches don't have the time to work on tactics plus majority of players are used to playing that way.

That's nonsense really, isn't it.

The majority (27%) of line-ups in the Premier League this season have been in a 4-4-2 (second most popular is 4-2-3-1 with 25%). This is according to Football-Lineups.com.

Clearly it is still a very popular system even in the top flight, and it obviously still very much has its place in the game.

It's very effective in Football Manager 10, as seen by my 4-4-2 experiment thread on the tactics forum where most of the participants achieved lots of success with the formation.

To answer the OP, I use a 4-4-2 occasionally. I tend to prefer the target man/poacher combination up front if I can, and I like a ball winner and playmaker in the midfield.

More regularly though, I will tend to use a 4-4-1-1, with one of the strikers withdrawn to the AMC position. It gives the advantage of a five man midfield while not in possession, while acting like a 4-4-2 in attack, and also has the benefit of a hole player between the lines. This is probably my favourite FM formation.

Archived