FM 2011 Olympique Lyonnais Thread - Allez Lyon!

McGougan33

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!

My first post here, my first post on these forums too actually.

Anyways i'm posting in here as i also have a Lyon save, i'm halfway through my second season currently and i thought i'd post here to ask for a little help.

Basically, after winning the title in my first season (by some 24pts actually!) i decided i should buy a player in the transfer window. I have no idea why i did it but for some strange reason i decided the perfect player was Javier Pastore. Now, as most you probably know, he is actually a very good player and i shouldn't have any problems with him whatsoever. I did though. I still had Pjanic and Gourcuff who are very very similar players to Pastore, so what did i do? The natural thing of course! Try and fit as many of them as i could into one team :rolleyes:

So start of the season comes around and, well i draw about 8 games on the bounce and i end up some way off the pace. After fiddling with my tactic a bit i've since rectified this situation and i've back top in February with OM a point behind.

I'm still not happy with how the teams performing though, some games they batter the other team and others they play with a whimper and scrape a 1-0 or 2-1. I think on defense we always look likely to concede so maybe it's my tactics in midfield defence-wise or maybe i just have bad defenders. So i'd like to ask you guys if you could possibly advise me on any way i could make my tactic better, obviously i can't bring someone in at the moment so i'll have to make do with what i've got :)

Here's my tactic at the moment:

lyon4231tactic.jpg

Lopez is advanced forward

Michel Bastos and Eden Hazard are inside forwards

Pastore is a trequartista

Gourcuff is deep lying playmaker

Toulalan is ball winning midfielder

and the defence are just normal :D

The only senior squad member i've sold is Makoun so, if you suggest some changes, you've got the whole rest of the normal Lyon squad to work with.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

I could suggest tweaks to your tactic, don't know if it would improve it drastically, but it's what I'd do anyway.

Firstly I'd change Lisandro Lopez to deep lying forward/support, with some tweaked settings like reduced long shots. I'd do this because the attacking midfielders you have are all very capable of goals and it will help link the forward line with them much better.

I'd change Pastore to either an attacking midfielder or advanced playmaker, keeping the attack duty. Either of these roles (particularly att. mid.) will allow him to drive at the defence and get into the box more, which I feel is one of his main strengths, rather than keeping him too deep in the midfield being playmaker, which you have Gourcuff for.

I'd swap Hazard and Michel Bastos over, to allow them to cut inside better onto their stronger foots. I'd keep MB as an IF/attack, but I'd change Hazard to advanced playmaker/attack, to make use of his superior creativity, and because he's not as good a finisher.

Gourcuff I'd keep how he is, but I'd drop Toulalan back to defensive midfield, probably as an anchor man. This will then allow you to change Cissokho and Reveillere's setting to full back/attack, so they can provide width higher up the pitch without leaving the defence too short with JT playing deeper.

I'd also change Hugo Lloris to a sweeper keeper/defend, if he's not that already. It just means he'll come out to sweep up balls in behind more often, meaning you can get away with playing a higher defensive line and therefore pressing higher up the pitch without leaving gaps. Toulalan playing as anchor man should also help here, plugging in the gaps, and limiting opposing attacking midfielders' effectiveness.

What kind of match strategy do you usually use? I'd suggest a fluid, control strategy, making use of your great passing midfielders by playing a short passing game (they'll naturally pick out great balls anyway).

Season Preview 2017-2018

With no fewer than 12 players out of contract at the end of the season I decided now was the perfect time for an overhaul of the squad. Several of the players were the wrong side of 30 in what is starting to become an ageing squad. Add in to the mix the fact that several of these older players wanted ridiculous contracts it was time to freshen things up with some young blood.

Rather than keep a player until they’re 34-35 years old and worth nothing, I would rather cash in on them when they are around 30-31 to keep the bank balance healthy. This formula sees us currently sitting as the fourth richest club in the world behind Barcelona, Real Madrid & Manchester United.

Being the current Brazil manager has helped the recruitment process, as having given some of the younger players their international debuts they have me on their favoured personnel list, meaning they chose Lyon over some of the other big guns chasing their signature :cool:. I now have no fewer than five of my Brazil squad playing for Lyon, with two of them being on EU passports (Ronaldo & Marquinhos).

I may have spent a bit over the top on Nicolas Ahmed, but my scouts thinks he will be a great player. It also adds another French player to the squad and I think in the long term he will turn out to be well worth the money, my Assistant Manager already rates him better than Sakho :eek:

The full transfer activity went as follows:

OlympiqueLyonnaisTransfers_History-10.png

This leaves the squad for the forthcoming season as follows:

GK – Lloris / Mitura

DR – Dimitriou / Marquinhos

DC – Sakho © / Ahmed / Baxter

DC – Kjaer / Carlos / Baxter

DL – Cissokho / Bationo

MC (Deep Lying Playmaker) – Hamsik / Pjanic / DiMarco (vc)

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder) – Vidal / Jerbic / DiMarco (vc)

AMR – Leandro / Buonanotte / Remy

AML – Santibanez / Johansson / Buonanotte

STCR (Poacher) – Ronaldo / Macheda / Lukaku

STCL (Advanced Forward) – Dzeko / Renato Gaucho / Lukaku

With such a change in the squad personnel this season I’m not expecting to do too well in the Champions League, but it will be interesting to see how far we get.

Hey all!

My first post here, my first post on these forums too actually.

Anyways i'm posting in here as i also have a Lyon save, i'm halfway through my second season currently and i thought i'd post here to ask for a little help.

Basically, after winning the title in my first season (by some 24pts actually!) i decided i should buy a player in the transfer window. I have no idea why i did it but for some strange reason i decided the perfect player was Javier Pastore. Now, as most you probably know, he is actually a very good player and i shouldn't have any problems with him whatsoever. I did though. I still had Pjanic and Gourcuff who are very very similar players to Pastore, so what did i do? The natural thing of course! Try and fit as many of them as i could into one team

So start of the season comes around and, well i draw about 8 games on the bounce and i end up some way off the pace. After fiddling with my tactic a bit i've since rectified this situation and i've back top in February with OM a point behind.

I'm still not happy with how the teams performing though, some games they batter the other team and others they play with a whimper and scrape a 1-0 or 2-1. I think on defense we always look likely to concede so maybe it's my tactics in midfield defence-wise or maybe i just have bad defenders. So i'd like to ask you guys if you could possibly advise me on any way i could make my tactic better, obviously i can't bring someone in at the moment so i'll have to make do with what i've got :)

Here's my tactic at the moment:

lyon4231tactic.jpg

Lopez is advanced forward

Michel Bastos and Eden Hazard are inside forwards

Pastore is a trequartista

Gourcuff is deep lying playmaker

Toulalan is ball winning midfielder

and the defence are just normal :D

The only senior squad member i've sold is Makoun so, if you suggest some changes, you've got the whole rest of the normal Lyon squad to work with.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

First of all mate, welcome to OL World :D,

I agree with some of Joe`s tips there, however what i would suggest is more drastic, however it will shore things up defensively pretty well.

I would drop your cms, back to dm`s and put toulalan as an anchor man, and keep gourcuff as a dlp! Your fullbacks, i would put on full back and support, not automatic, Joe makes a good point about Bastos and Hazard about switching wings, id leave bastos on IF and cutting in, however i would use Hazard as a winger and attack instead of adv pl.

Lisandro Lopez should definitely be a deep lying forward on support, and Pastore shouldnt be a treq, should ideally be an advanced playmaker on attack, because you want your dm`s to link up with him as much as possible due to his creativity, sometimes they will also hit lopez who would play the through ball for him to run onto. Pjanic is probably still the best adv pl you have in the team as he develops!

Hope this helps,

Ross

Season Preview 2017-2018

With no fewer than 12 players out of contract at the end of the season I decided now was the perfect time for an overhaul of the squad. Several of the players were the wrong side of 30 in what is starting to become an ageing squad. Add in to the mix the fact that several of these older players wanted ridiculous contracts it was time to freshen things up with some young blood.

Rather than keep a player until they’re 34-35 years old and worth nothing, I would rather cash in on them when they are around 30-31 to keep the bank balance healthy. This formula sees us currently sitting as the fourth richest club in the world behind Barcelona, Real Madrid & Manchester United.

Being the current Brazil manager has helped the recruitment process, as having given some of the younger players their international debuts they have me on their favoured personnel list, meaning they chose Lyon over some of the other big guns chasing their signature :cool:. I now have no fewer than five of my Brazil squad playing for Lyon, with two of them being on EU passports (Ronaldo & Marquinhos).

I may have spent a bit over the top on Nicolas Ahmed, but my scouts thinks he will be a great player. It also adds another French player to the squad and I think in the long term he will turn out to be well worth the money, my Assistant Manager already rates him better than Sakho :eek:

The full transfer activity went as follows:

OlympiqueLyonnaisTransfers_History-10.png

This leaves the squad for the forthcoming season as follows:

GK – Lloris / Mitura

DR – Dimitriou / Marquinhos

DC – Sakho © / Ahmed / Baxter

DC – Kjaer / Carlos / Baxter

DL – Cissokho / Bationo

MC (Deep Lying Playmaker) – Hamsik / Pjanic / DiMarco (vc)

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder) – Vidal / Jerbic / DiMarco (vc)

AMR – Leandro / Buonanotte / Remy

AML – Santibanez / Johansson / Buonanotte

STCR (Poacher) – Ronaldo / Macheda / Lukaku

STCL (Advanced Forward) – Dzeko / Renato Gaucho / Lukaku

With such a change in the squad personnel this season I’m not expecting to do too well in the Champions League, but it will be interesting to see how far we get.

Your getting adventurous with your spending in the past 2 seasons mate :o

When i created my tactic, i didnt do a set piece plan, but in one of my other tactics i did, and i seem to rarely conceede from them now. If any of you would like those suggestions, then pm me your email address, as im not going to post my secret to success up just yet :p

Just about to copy my template for the first page, so i only have a few things to change/update/add!

Any suggestions as to what you would like to see if anything added to the front page? Bear in mind im going to list which leagues i have loaded, and what changes to the coaching staff i would advise in the first season!

They look good although you did overpay on Ahmad imo for a 20 year old.

I know, but he looks like he could be a beast looking at his key stats:

Heading 18

Marking 15

Tackling 17

Concentration 17

Decisions 18

Jumping 17

Strength 20

I'm certain he'll be worth it ;)

Purefun When you get home tonight, email me the tactic i sent you, because i dont have it anymore, i need to add some changes to it, basically set pieces instructions for attacking and defending!

Don't think I'm on tonight. If so, I'll do it otherwise tomorrow.

No worries mate, joe is usually spot on also, this ive found just works for me! :thup:

Still think with two deep midfielders that attacking full backs is the way to go ;)

But I haven't played with Lyon this year yet, so I'd take McG's advice over mine as well haha.

Still think with two deep midfielders that attacking full backs is the way to go ;)

But I haven't played with Lyon this year yet, so I'd take McG's advice over mine as well haha.

Just created a new tactic that im hoping to use for 11.3 there, with the fullbacks on defend so we shall see how it goes :), Went with direct passing as i want the ball to get to my attacking players as quick as possible

Your getting adventurous with your spending in the past 2 seasons mate :o

If you like big spending, you'll hate me when I start my OL save.

The most I paid for anyone on my FM10 save was £18million, and even that wasn't untiil the start of the fith season. Before that it was £13.5million, which came at the start of season two!

I hate spending big money, and on my FM11 save I will refuse to go above the club record, which I think is £21million for Lisandro................unless of course it is to bring Benzema back to the club!

Yeah, so it looks like that tactic of yours McG, ain't workin too great right now :D

Just on a run of six games without a win at the moment and everyones morale is absoloutley terrible now, six points off the top after 29 games played :(

I'm just gonna persist with it though, just wanna get this shambles of a season over now i think and regroup afterwards. Might have to look at getting someone like Poli in to play the deep lying playmaker role properly. And a good bloody CB i reckon!! :rolleyes:

Ok, so maybe i was a little hasty earlier :D

The tactic came good in the end, however it was just slightly too little too late. I finished second in the league 2pts behind Marseille :(

However i did win the French Cup so it wasn't a complete failure of a season haha!

I think i do need to make some signings in the offseason though. I reckon someone like Poli (a defensive mid, who can do deep lying playmaker due to their good passing) and maybe a class CB if i can afford both, i'll have to wait and see how much the board give me!

You should probably get the money for both, but i would personally make a world class CB, like Rami or Sakho, your priority as to be honest you should have a few quality central midfielders already in Gourcuff, Toulalan, Kallstrom and Gonalons turns out great too

Alright Gentleman so 11.3 is upon us, or so i presume as my steam has just downloaded an fm update! I will make changes to the OP tomorrow that will be implemented by 12 afternoon, so i suggest you read them as i shall change the squad analysis, few things here and there, and i will also be posting recommended changes to the staff list!!

Purely as a matter of principal, i will be starting with transfer budgets off, so what i do will be without any money!

Just in from a long shift though, so might not get most of it done tonight :(

I need someone who when they start there game with transfer budgets on can tell me what the current budget is???

I noticed our finances have changed from rich to secure, and our wage budget has dropped 20k pw on allowed and spending!

Also seems young William Le Pogam has been giving an upgrade in this patch, so another young winger for us to have a look at.

Will update post number 2 tomorrow with new staff and leagues loaded

You should probably get the money for both, but i would personally make a world class CB, like Rami or Sakho, your priority as to be honest you should have a few quality central midfielders already in Gourcuff, Toulalan, Kallstrom and Gonalons turns out great too

A CB should be first transfer indeed.

Just having a bit of a go on 11.3 with Lyon not sure if it will develop into a proper save or not. I was just wondering would you guys sell Gomis for £9 million to fund a loan move for Benzema? He will join with 50 percent of wages to be paid, loan fee of 400k and a future fee of £10 million.

Signed Moussa Sissoko for 14 mil in the Joker Window and got Defour coming in on the 1st January for 10.5 mil, as you can tell i got 24.5 mil in November :D, Next time i get money its the defence that will need improving

Still in all comps, sitting 2nd in the table with 2 points in it and a game in hand, pretty unhappy about dropping 11 points from 11 games already, however it was due to defensive errors and injurys, as soon as i shore the defence up it should become less frequent!

I might also add Lopez is injured again after 4 games, due to a dirty foul from a lille player, so no more BSGM for 3 months :mad:

Having had FM11 for a few months now, I have finally decided now that patch 11.3 is out that it is time to have my annual save with Lyon. Regulars from the Lyon threads over the past few years will remember my long posts, but newbies to Les Gones be warned, my posts are usually pretty long, and perhaps boring to some as I dont include loads and loads of images.

Like in previous years, updates will be after the summer transfer window, after the winter transfer window, and at the end of each season. Other little updates may be posted if a big transfer happens, or if I decide post the odd great result.

Enough of me going on and on, time to get on with my first update!

Brief Intro

As with all other versions of the game, I am playing under the name Bruno Gama, and I turn 42 on my next birthday, which is November 12th. I am a former Portuguese international, who appeared 64 times for my country, scoring 22 goals.

For my save I have loaded up all the French leagues, and also the top divisions from England, Germany, Italy, and Spain. And I am playing on a medium database. Before writing this update, I have played up to the start of my Champions League campaign.

Contract and Expectations

I have been given a two year contract by the board of OL, although on a measly £8,750p/w. Winning the Ligue 1 title is the minimum requirement for the season, aswell as reaching the quarter finals of the champions League, and winning the Coupe de France. As always, winning the Coupe de la Ligue is not deemed important by the board.

Transfer Activity

Not much happened during the transfer window, the squad is pretty good as it is and there a good number of decent youngsters at the club worth developing. Having said that, the whole of my trasnfer budget has gone on the one player I brought in, aswell as a bit going on bringing in staff.

Players Out;

Enzo Reale - Loan (Season) - Guingamp

Pape Diakhate - Loan Termininated

Enzo Reale wil get good experience in Ligue 2. I let him go on the basis that they saw him as "an important player".

I got rid of Diakhate to save on is ages, as I suspect most people do. Getting rid of him will save the club around about £2million over the course of the season.

Players In;

Manoel - £6.5million (£1.8million upfront, with £4.7million over 36months) - Atletico Paranaense

A very important signing for the side in the problem CB position. He is young, and already has very good stats. He hasn't gone straight into the team due to the form of others, but it will happen sooner rather than later.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers;

1.Hugo Lloris

25.Joan Hartock

30.Remy Vercoutre

Defenders;

2.Lamine Gassama

3.Cris - Captain

5.Dejan Lovren

12.Thimothee Kolodzieczak

13.Anthony Réveillère

20.Aly Cissokho

26.Manoel

Midfielders;

6.Kim Källström

8.Miralem Pjanić

10.Ederson

11.Michel Bastos

21.Maxime Gonalons

24.Jeremy Pied

28.Jérémy Toulalan - Vice captain

29.Yoann Gourcuff

Attacking Midfielders/Forwards;

7.Jimmy Briand

19.Cesar Delgado

38.Alexandre Lacazette

Strikers;

9.Lisandro Lopez

18.Bafetimbi Gomis

39.Ishak Belfodil

Reserve/Young Players;

15.Harry Novillo

22.Clement Grenier

31.Said Mehamha

36.Sebastien Faure

37.Thomas Fontaine

I am a bit light on numbers at CB, but with both Jeremy Toulalan and Maxime Gonalons able to play there if needed, I'm not too worried. That is not to say that I am not looking out for another CB.

I wont bore you all by giving you a big run down of my tactics, but for now I am playing a 4-5-1 formation, though I am looking a couple of other systems to use, such as a 4-3-1-2, and a 4-2-3-1. These will come in over time though as it's not easy to change and try new systems during the season.

The Season So Far

I have started the Ligue 1 season very solidly, winning four and drawing one of the opening five games. Goals haven't been flowing, as I have instead worked on building a tough backline to breakdown first. Infact, my side are yet to concede a goal. Dejan Lovren has been the outstanding performer so far; 2 man of the match awards, and average rating of 7.94, and incredibly, 3 goals!

Monaco (H) 0-0

Caen (A) 1-0 (Gomis)

Brest (H) 3-0 (Lovren, Gomis, Pjanic)

Lorient (A) 1-0 (Lovren)

Valenciennes (H) 2-0 (Gomis, Lovren)

We currently sit top of the table, with Lens behind us in second. Next in Ligue 1 is a trip to Bordeaux. A screenshot of the league table will come after a few more games.

The draw for the group stage of the Champions League has of course been made, and we have been handed what could be a tricky group, consisting of Chelsea, Rangers, and FC Twente. Our first game is what should prove to be our toughest; Chelsea away.

------------------------------------------------

So far so it's going well then. A pleasing start to my fifth annual Lyon save.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome and I apologise to those of you who would have preferred a short update with loads of screenshots.

Just an update to the Kallstrom situation: I accepted the loan bids from Man U and Real Madrid, he chose to go to Man U and his departure was "a breath of fresh air" according to Michel Bastos. I'm currently weighing up my options for his replacement; Hazard, M'Vila and Moussa Sissoko are all very good players who I considered but I think I want more of a rotation player for a number of position at this stage, and not change the first team. This has led me to a choice between (the cheaper) Axel Witsel and Simon Vukcevic- any experience with either of them or advice? Cheers.

Archived