FM 2011 Olympique Lyonnais Thread - Allez Lyon!

McGougan33

After a settling in period both Aït-Fana and Elia are starting to settle and perform well. Not impressed with Argentina as Lisandro only just recovered from his broken foot last season but they called him up and guess what he broke his arm! Argh.

Bafé must have a sixth sense, I tell myself if you don't perform in the next two/three games I'm going to sell you and what happens he gets six goals! Ridiculous, his inconsistency is so frustrating. He might be hard to sell though, I'd rather not sell him unless I get €6-9Million as a minimum but I can see that being very unlikely. Luckily Tafer is playing well so I'm rotating between Tafer/Bafé and using Ishak from time to time. Will try to sign Arnaud Souquet and Kevin Gameiro on free transfers in the January window. Younès Belhanda is another possible target. M'Villa doesn't want to join Lyon though. :(

Sit six points clear with a game in hand (Winning 1-0 or 2-0 but not playing the very best I can, which is good for now!), both OM and LOSC managers are under the threat of being sacked as both clubs sit in 14th and 12th respectively. Harry and Pied are also now starting to progress and gain a foot hold, Harry in particular is an ideal super sub, with his pace at AMR he's devastating on teams that are tiring after sixty odd minutes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a screenshot of Clement Grenier developed preferably by a player rather than the AI a few years into the game? Had him on loan in my Gladbach game in the first season, was inconsistent but showed glimpses of brilliance and just wanna see if he is worth the risk rather than rotting in Lyon's reserves.

Okay thanks. :) Lyon wanted £9m! :( Given I had a budget of only £13m safe to say that wasn't going to happen!

Will probably just take him on loan again and continue his development. I don't really have enough good midfield tutors currently to accelerate the development [Milan Badelj and Michael Bradley have great tutoring personalities and stats but are 22 and 24 respectively so can't tutor yet :/] and he's not quick enough for anywhere bar my main AMC role.

Still if we become a favoured club/personel just makes him easier to get in the long run :)

Although I'm not actually playing as Lyon, I was doing a little reading up on the squads for the upcoming U20's World Cup in Colombia and noticed that many of best rate French U20 players, seem to be at Lyon.

As such, I'm sniffing around the Lyon squad, seeing who I can possibly poach :D

I know HoPeY won't like to see me poaching their best youngsters, heading south to play in Spain, but I was just wondering which ones tend to fulfil their potential, or develop well positionally.

To be honest I wouldn't say any are particularly exceptional unfortunately, most would come under the 'useful' category for me and hence I wouldn't be particularly bothered about signing them at another club. Belfodil and Tafer are both reasonably good squad player strikers who'll get you a few goals, Gassama's a farily solid right back, Gassama will develop into a good, reliable central midfielder, Grenier is maybe the most talented but plays a position where you've got to be fairly outstanding to be worth it in my opinion (plus seems to develop differently on different games- negative PA?), and I know other posters gave more game time to Novillo, Reale, Pied, Lazcazette etc but they all looked and performed very average for me. Kolo looks to have potential but I've never developed him enough to see. I assumed you weren't referring to Pjanic and Lovren in your post, but if you didn't already realise: they're excellent.

Most of them are better then "useful" imo. Sure there are better players for everyone you mentioned but seeing as he plays as Granada well imo Kolo, Gassama, Novillo, Grenier, Tafer, Belfodil, Lazzy ... would be star players.

Although I'm not actually playing as Lyon, I was doing a little reading up on the squads for the upcoming U20's World Cup in Colombia and noticed that many of best rate French U20 players, seem to be at Lyon.

As such, I'm sniffing around the Lyon squad, seeing who I can possibly poach

I know HoPeY won't like to see me poaching their best youngsters, heading south to play in Spain, but I was just wondering which ones tend to fulfil their potential, or develop well positionally.

Stealing is wrong you know!

To be honest I wouldn't say any are particularly exceptional unfortunately, most would come under the 'useful' category for me and hence I wouldn't be particularly bothered about signing them at another club. Belfodil and Tafer are both reasonably good squad player strikers who'll get you a few goals, Gassama's a farily solid right back, Gassama will develop into a good, reliable central midfielder, Grenier is maybe the most talented but plays a position where you've got to be fairly outstanding to be worth it in my opinion (plus seems to develop differently on different games- negative PA?), and I know other posters gave more game time to Novillo, Reale, Pied, Lazcazette etc but they all looked and performed very average for me. Kolo looks to have potential but I've never developed him enough to see. I assumed you weren't referring to Pjanic and Lovren in your post, but if you didn't already realise: they're excellent.

I assume you didn't mean Gassama when you said a reliable central midfielder? :D

Anyway I don't agree with what you've said as a whole. Pjanić and Lovren aside, Ishak and Tafer can easily become good or very good players, more than a squad player. Usually they will develop ideal stats for their respective positions and style. Tafer is a finisher in FM, Ishak is more towards a TM in a few years.

Grenier is hit and miss and will always be a squad player for a top club but a first teamer for a team between top half and bottom of a top league.

Kolo is hit and miss, he's helped a lot by his physical stats so he can be classed as a squad player. Gassama is indeed solid, ideal backup for a top club and an excellent player for any club below that very top tier.

Pied is average, he's decent nothing more. Lazzy usually turns into a good player because he's got that FM plus of pace but he's not well rounded in FM.

Novillo is hard to judge at the moment, so I'll simply say he has the potential but I've yet to see him fulfil it yet. Will have a better view on him once I'm into season five.

It's also worth pointing out that Seguin, Faure, Mehamha, Umtiti, Reale, Koné, Le Pogam and Tapoko are always worth a look and a punt if you can get him for decent fees as they can become decent or good players although not always of course.

Haha sorry, I meant Gassama - fairly solid RB and Gonalons- reliable CM. I wasn't meaning to be especially disparaging about Belfodil and Tafer, I suppose I was thinking of them more from a Lyon perspective where for me they'd never really make it past squad players, I'm sure at other clubs they would be good enough to play a more central role. Tafer's never really got the goals to justify his place in the team for me (I've seen his record for other players though, just talking from my own experience), I liked Belfodil more certainly.

Haha sorry, I meant Gassama - fairly solid RB and Gonalons- reliable CM. I wasn't meaning to be especially disparaging about Belfodil and Tafer, I suppose I was thinking of them more from a Lyon perspective where for me they'd never really make it past squad players, I'm sure at other clubs they would be good enough to play a more central role. Tafer's never really got the goals to justify his place in the team for me (I've seen his record for other players though, just talking from my own experience), I liked Belfodil more certainly.

Ah yes that makes sense. Gonalons is indeed reliable he's also a good (possible) option as CB should somebody wish to retrain him. No worries man, each person can only talk about their own experiences and views. You didn't offend me (much ;))

Great thread

Just finished the first seson winning the league and sending Monaco down on last day. Oh the joy of doing that !

ligue1informationleague.png

Was just wondering who should I sign, I need a new replacement for Cris and maybe Réveillère.

Good first season mate.

To answer your question, what patch are you on?

Some suggestions for replacements for Cris, depending on patch: Rami, Varane, Mexes, Otamendi...

For right back, I think Gassama will be ready to play by the second season, he did for me anyway, but if you want to look elsewhere maybe Aurier or Corchia.

I'm on 11.3.

Varane's not interested in coming whuch is a shame as he seems a really good prospect. Is Mexes worth £15m at 29yr old. Otamendi is well out of my price range and Rami i can get for about £8m and on relatively cheap wages.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Great thread

Just finished the first seson winning the league and sending Monaco down on last day. Oh the joy of doing that !

Was just wondering who should I sign, I need a new replacement for Cris and maybe Réveillère.

And also won the Europa League, beating Juventus in the final.

Congrats with your season. :thup:

Good first season mate.

To answer your question, what patch are you on?

Some suggestions for replacements for Cris, depending on patch: Rami, Varane, Mexes, Otamendi...

For right back, I think Gassama will be ready to play by the second season, he did for me anyway, but if you want to look elsewhere maybe Aurier or Corchia.

Second the above recommendations.

I'm on 11.3.

Varane's not interested in coming whuch is a shame as he seems a really good prospect. Is Mexes worth £15m at 29yr old. Otamendi is well out of my price range and Rami i can get for about £8m and on relatively cheap wages.

Thanks for the suggestions.

£10-15Million is reasonable for Mexès but given his age I would reluctant to pay that myself. Rami is excellent however! Raphaël Varane is a right pain to tempt to Lyon, he is very hard to prise away. Especially if Lens keep finishing in the top four like on my save. :(

---

Lloris and Vercoutre out for three-four weeks both with a broken finger through training, Lloris was injured first and then the next day Vercoutre with the same injury. So for three odd weeks ninteen year old Zacharie Boucher will be inbetween the posts :eek:

Argh. I've finalised deals with Willian, Breno and Souqet all on frees to arrive at the end of season two.

Sadly Gameiro wanted to join me but he wanted wages of €89K a week which I'm simply not prepared to pay. In the end despite being available to sign a pre-contract for free Arsenal paid €7Million in the January window (cue chuckle). Sakho was another potential bosman signing for the end of the season but he had no interest to join the best club in France and instead will join Tottenham at the end of the season. Roux is also available as a bosman in the January window but he wanted €75K a week and I'm not paying him that either.

Juve offered me their managerial position, which I kindly declined. Derby du Rhône time in FM. :cool:

Yeah I know, originally they bid £10m for him but he chose OM so it got cancelled then offered him out again and only they come in with a bid. With abit of luck they will meet the agreed price of £6.75m.

Ok, not had a 'great' Lyon save since FM08, so have started up this one, and i'm having the time of my life again ;)

Here is my first season results and transfers:

ligue1informationleague.jpg

olympiquelyonnaistransf.jpg

I'm actually half way through my second season right now, and doing really well! Here is my transfers from season 2:

olympiquelyonnaistransfz.jpg

Just loving this game at the minute, and it looks like I will be getting Sakho on a free at the end of the season, which will really help my defense out! My first team usually looks like this:

GK -- Lloris

RB -- Santon

CB -- Lovren/Mbiwa

CB -- Bassong

LB -- Cissokho

RM -- Briand

CM -- Toulalan

CM -- Gourcuff

LM -- Bastos

CF -- Lukaku

CF -- Lopez

Congrats with the season, how did you do in Europe and the two cups?

Champs League -- Tottenham beat me in the 1st Knockout Round :(

Coupe de France -- Beat Le Havre 4-0 in the final :)

Coupe de la Ligue -- Beat Marseille 3-0 in the final :)

Steve

I got him at the end of the first season, so have only started playing him now. Currently he has played 17 and scored 7 goals....... but this is fine, as he is new to the squad and the way we play, so I don't mind him settling in a bit, the goals will come. Lopez is making up for it anyway, he is 29 and 29 :)

Steve

Usually they will develop ideal stats for their respective positions and style. Tafer is a finisher in FM, Ishak is more towards a TM in a few years.

Grenier is hit and miss and will always be a squad player for a top club but a first teamer for a team between top half and bottom of a top league.

Kolo is hit and miss, he's helped a lot by his physical stats so he can be classed as a squad player. Gassama is indeed solid, ideal backup for a top club and an excellent player for any club below that very top tier.

Pied is average, he's decent nothing more. Lazzy usually turns into a good player because he's got that FM plus of pace but he's not well rounded in FM.

Novillo is hard to judge at the moment, so I'll simply say he has the potential but I've yet to see him fulfil it yet. Will have a better view on him once I'm into season five.

It's also worth pointing out that Seguin, Faure, Mehamha, Umtiti, Reale, Koné, Le Pogam and Tapoko are always worth a look and a punt if you can get him for decent fees as they can become decent or good players although not always of course.

Thanks for that. :)

You've probably read through a couple of my threads in the tactics forum over the years, enough to know that I don't always go for reputation or indeed PA particularly. I look at how good players are likely to be in their most suited positions and roles.

If I can mould fairly average regens into players that average above 7.0 per match over a season, then I'm sure some of these Lyon youngsters can be moulded into very good players, if they're used in their most effective positions and roles.

The players I particularly like the look of though...

Ishak Belfodil - Very good target man prospect, not least because he also has the added bonus of good pace and acceleration. Fast and powerful, means he can be a menace to defenders.

Yannis Tafer - Looks like a good poacher and my 20/20 scouts rate him highly. Could become "a leading Liga BBVA striker in the future".

Saïd Mehamha - Looked a well rounded player, but already left for Mallorca on a free. Had I spotted his availability, would definitely have been worth signing and polishing his key midfield attributes.

Enzo Reale - Looks like a rough diamond. Says his "similar to Demy de Zeeuw", which if he can be trained up, wouldn't be bad at all. Currently he's on loan at Auxerre but hasn't played yet.

William Le Pogam - Currently has Chelsea and Arsenal interested. Getting my scouts to check him out, but looks like he could be a good left winger.

Sidy Koné - Could be worth a punt if he develops. Says he's "similar to Simon Rolfes", excellent German international who on my save, Lyon paid 10m for last season.

Suffice it to say, if I were embarking on a Lyon save, they would all be keepers for sure. Some of those players, if I'm lucky, might indeed be making their way to Granada CF. :D

It certainly isn't. :mad:

I'm only buying Belgian player for profit now.

Fell out big time with Defour, who didn't live up to expectations with my Granada side. Still, you can always guarantee Man City will come in with a double your money bid. :D

Paid 11.75 million. Sold for 23.5 million. Had him for 6 months. ;)

Just started as Lyon again. Just can't stay away from OL :)

So far have only sent Diakhite home. Looking to sell Gomis and use the money to build a decent defence. Any suggestions for cheap DCs?

Managed to finish my second season on Sunday, I won the league fairly comfortably even with some injury worries throughout the season;

Ligue1-Season2.png

I managed to win both French cups so doing the treble meant it was a decent season. Unfortunately due to a shocking first leg first round knock-out to Atlético Madrid I ended up losing 3-2 on aggregate. The tie was lost in the first leg which was away, very disappointing. Now been given a heathy budget for the start of season three;

Season2-Budget.png

Which is actually just over €50Million now as Man City decided to bid for Rémy Vercoutre who had one year left on his contract, and €2.5Million for a guy who played three times for me and is coming up to thirty three was a decent fee.

I think I may change my formation to a 4-3-1-2, so I've decided not to sign Elia for €13Million. I will also look to move Bastos, Cris (if he won't retire, as he's moaning he's not playing) and possibly Bafé whose wages do not justify his goal return. I've decided to take up the agreed fee of €12Million for Sandro whose been a good player for me while on loan for a season and a half.

The aim is to win the league and at least the semi final of the Champions League. So I'll need to bolster my squad a little more. I had an offer for Karim accepted but sadly he didn't even want to discuss terms. Despite being interested in joining me.

With Breno, Souqet and Willian all joining me for free I think with a couple of additional players I may be able to hit my aims for the season.

Archived