FM 2011 Olympique Lyonnais Thread - Allez Lyon!

McGougan33

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I stayed up way too late finishing my first season and off-season last night and I'm suffering this morning. I need to reduce my FM time this weekend!

I had the league wrapped up with 9 games left, In the end I won 29, drew 8 and lost 1 and won it by nearly 30 points. The loss came in the games after I had already won it and I had trouble motivating some players, I'm a bit annoyed at losing a game I shoud've won but I was a bit lucky not to drop more points towards the end.

The double was also won, after struggling through Vs Guingamp in my first game I sailed through to the semi-finals and was 2-0 against Monaco before they scored twice late on to force extra time. Bastos got the winner in the 118th minute. In the final I played Sedan from Ligue 2 and had a shocker. Drawing 0-0 AET and winning, thanks to heroics from Lloris, 3-2 on penalties.

The CL was the most fun. I won my group with Bayern, Rubin and Kobenhavn. In the 2nd round 1st leg I hammered Bremen 4-1 away and eased through 2-0 at home. I then beat Inter 2-0 at home, despite some hairy moments. Somehow, after being under the cosh pretty much all through the 2nd leg I won 1-0 with Briand scoring late. In the semi I got Chelsea and scraped a 3-2 win at home, having gone 1 up I was 2-1 down by half time before Lopez and then Kallstrom in the final minute gave us a win. Bastos scored early in the 2nd leg but Zhirkov and Lampard put them 2-1 up at ht. In the second half I did well, but Lopez was suspended and Roux out of form - I couldn't force a goal and went out on away goals.

In the summer I have shaken things up. Lots of reserves leaving, and got some decent fees (and some not so decent - Mensah £500k, Ederson £250k). Vercoutre has done his cruciate ligaments so I got Remy Riou on a bosman as my new backup GK as well as a 19 year old from Lille (also bosman) as third choice. The other young GKs all left.

At the back, Cris had really dropped off in terms of stats and performances, as well as my AssMan telling me how he expected just to turn up and win so I sold him (£1.7m), Fazio hadn't made much of an impact and Villareal came calling (£2m) so he went too. Lovren, Gassama and Kolod had all been amazing to I didn't sign Bassong permanently and I let Reveilliere's contract run down. Aurier came in for £8m from Lens (inlcuding add-ons) to compete with Gassama and I paid £3.5m for another 18 year old CB from Lens whose name now escapes me but the scouts and coaches love him, he has very good stats and he'll have a few first team chances this season. The main signing was Rami from Lille for £8.5m after some very tough negotaitions on his personal terms (I love the negotiations and agents stuff in FM11). I was surprised he turned down Inter and Chelsea for me.

In midfield Pied dropped off a lot in the 2nd half of the season and was sold to Rubin for £2.5m. I'm going to give Novillo and Laca more chances on the right behind 1st choice Briand but I may bring in another winger who can play both sides if I can find someone cheap. Despite excellent performances from Gourcuff, Pjanic, Kallstrom, Defour and Toulalan (not to mention Grenier and Gonalons coming along nicely) I wanted to change something in the middle of the park. Eventually I sold Kallstrom to Aston Villa for £5.5m and signed M'Vila from Rennes for up to £10m. Probably not the best deals on paper but my scouts and coaches love him (4* across the board) and he's young and French - I love my domestic player bias! Pjanic was concerned by treatment of Kallstrom so I'll have to be careful now with him. Also bought in 16yo Yaisien from PSG for £2.5m for the future.

Up front I got Makengo from Monaco on a bosman and Tafer has come back after a good year at Toulouse. In a team where I usually play one up top I now have Lopez (who is happy again and not wanting a move to a bigger club), Roux, Belfodil, Laca, Makengo and Tafer. That is too many! Roux had a mixed season, winning the most promising player award for Ligue 1 but only scoring 3 times after Xmas and none at all in europe. Sevilla are interested, he got 10 assists to go with his 10 goals overall, his stats have improved and I really like him but if I get an offer he may go. Makengo may go on loan and pre-season will be important for Tafer. I may also look to go with 2 up front in more home league games next year.

After all that I am looking for some more coaches and to improve my training regimes, I have £35m in the bank and 2x 4* potential youngesters in my youth intake. Having got Toronto as a financial feeder club last year, I've asked for another to see if it helps the merchandising.

I'm going to struggle to improve on last year but I'm going to try!

What formation do you use?

What settings do you use for Lopez and Gourcuff?

Give us some more info and this is the best threads that comes around to give you help. :cool:

I played Gourcuff in AMC as an advanced playmaker, full creative freedom and he's selected as the team's playmaker. I play a 4-2-3-1, sometimes switching between two CM's and two DM's, but always two wingers with an AMC and a lone striker. I've switched Lopez around, from poacher to advanced striker, neither seem to be working too well, I've tried switching his forward runs to often as well, but still he has little effect on games.

Gourcuff, strangely, leads the league in average rating, but I think that's all because of the 9.8 he got against Bordeaux. My team settings play a slow, short, fluid passing game, with the creative freedom switching from high to balanced depending on opposition, same with roaming, whilst the midfielders who play behind Gourcuff are two of: Toulalan, Kallstrom, M'vila and Radosav Petrovic. Maybe I don't have the quality of passing to play a short passing game? I dunno, but I can't seem to get this team to bully the opposition and carve out chances, I will nick an early goal, then suddenly be on the back foot all game. Or, I'll go one down early on then struggle like crazy to get one back, with equalizers often coming from set plays or penalties.

I think something must be going right, as my team continue to win games and I am using the likes of Pied, Gassama, Lacazette, Gonalons and Belfodil, but still, I think I have a better midfield than most in the league, yet continually feel like I'm second best in every game.

Excellent update and season, Unitedsi :thup:

Unlucky against Chelsea though in the CL. Maybe you could better that this season.

Great job getting Rami. One of the better young French players and nicking him from under the noses of Chelsea and Inter makes it much more special. In my game though Rami was bought in the first season itself by Chelsea :( Cris and Fazio are performing very well for me atm so was a bit surprised to see them not working for you. Both are a bit on the slower side but if you tweak the tactics a bit they perform well. Fazio especially is a beast in the air. Anyhow it seems that you have got adequate replacements for them so there should't be any problems. Lovren is pretty good in the air. Though I am a bit concerned about the absence of a defender with a bit of pace because as far as I recall Rami too is a bit on the slower side. I have heard good things about Aurier so he should play well.

Pied has done extremely well in the few sub appearances for me so disappointed that you sold him. About the striker situation though you may change your tactics to accomodate 2 strikers because all 3 - Tafer, Makengo and Belfodil have fantastic potential. Did you take a look at N'Zogbia/ Ben Arfa for the winger position. They are both French and can play on both wings. Ben Arfa is two-footed as well but it's another matter if OM would let him go.

All the best for the second season :)

I played Gourcuff in AMC as an advanced playmaker, full creative freedom and he's selected as the team's playmaker. I play a 4-2-3-1, sometimes switching between two CM's and two DM's, but always two wingers with an AMC and a lone striker. I've switched Lopez around, from poacher to advanced striker, neither seem to be working too well, I've tried switching his forward runs to often as well, but still he has little effect on games.

Gourcuff, strangely, leads the league in average rating, but I think that's all because of the 9.8 he got against Bordeaux. My team settings play a slow, short, fluid passing game, with the creative freedom switching from high to balanced depending on opposition, same with roaming, whilst the midfielders who play behind Gourcuff are two of: Toulalan, Kallstrom, M'vila and Radosav Petrovic. Maybe I don't have the quality of passing to play a short passing game? I dunno, but I can't seem to get this team to bully the opposition and carve out chances, I will nick an early goal, then suddenly be on the back foot all game. Or, I'll go one down early on then struggle like crazy to get one back, with equalizers often coming from set plays or penalties.

I think something must be going right, as my team continue to win games and I am using the likes of Pied, Gassama, Lacazette, Gonalons and Belfodil, but still, I think I have a better midfield than most in the league, yet continually feel like I'm second best in every game.

I also play a fluid passing game with Lopez as Advanced Forward and Gourcuff as Advanced Playmaker.

Gourcuff - 11 apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 7.51 avg rating

Lopez - 8(1) apps, 8 goals, 0 assists, 7.62 avg rating

The difference is I don't play him as AMC but as MC(a). Even as AMC you must make it clear if he is gunning for goals or trying to make assists. If he is going for goals he is bound to mess up as he loves to take long shots and finishing is not very good. Also I don't play a slow, short passing game. I know that it's best for keeping possession etc. but i have found that fast tempo always brings out the best in my team. One thing to note about Lopez is that he has cuts inside as one of his favoured moves so let him do that instead of moves into channels (which is normally kept as the default setting) and maybe it will work. I am not very good at tactics though so you will have to experiment and see.

Has anyone being able to get the best out of Toulalan?

Board have just made £20.5m available to me. I think my weakest position is strength in depth on the wings, but I like using the youngsters there as back ups. Will they develop well enough? (Pied and Lacazette)

I wouldn't mind a world class centre half either. I can't have anymore foreign players, but I have Cris, Lovren, Bassong (loan) and Diakhite (sp), I don't like Diakhite, whilst Lovren still doesn't convince, and Cris is too slow. Any recommendations? N'Koulou?

I was considering Hazard or Ganso, but Ganso would have to be next summer, whilst Hazard would take up all of the £20m to get him. Hmm. Any names? A back up left back would be immense, too!

Currently in October on my Lyon season: I've won most games, not lost any yet but had a few draws. I can't for the life of me get Gourcuff and Lopez performing. I've had one good game from Gourcuff where he scored a hat-trick away at Bordeaux, but other than that, he's been gash. Lisandro, similarly, has scored one goal in 6 apps, and that goal came from his sole substitute appearance. Gomis has proven, at least before his horror tackle, that he was a better striker.

I use Lopez as a lone striker with Gourcuff behind him, but it simply isn't working at the moment, I can't get my team controlling games, they're so wayward, particularly when they defend off the ball. (Will switching my marking effect this?)

I'm enjoying my game so far, but my side constantly feel like they're second best, with only the Bordeaux game away where they've put in a 'proper' performance, everything else has been sloppy and scrappy.

Well it depends mate, Gourcuff off the ball for me is pretty good, Lopez was blowing hot and cold for me for a while, then he turned it on for the past 2 and a half seasons! I have my marking on press more!

Well I stayed up way too late finishing my first season and off-season last night and I'm suffering this morning. I need to reduce my FM time this weekend!

I had the league wrapped up with 9 games left, In the end I won 29, drew 8 and lost 1 and won it by nearly 30 points. The loss came in the games after I had already won it and I had trouble motivating some players, I'm a bit annoyed at losing a game I shoud've won but I was a bit lucky not to drop more points towards the end.

The double was also won, after struggling through Vs Guingamp in my first game I sailed through to the semi-finals and was 2-0 against Monaco before they scored twice late on to force extra time. Bastos got the winner in the 118th minute. In the final I played Sedan from Ligue 2 and had a shocker. Drawing 0-0 AET and winning, thanks to heroics from Lloris, 3-2 on penalties.

The CL was the most fun. I won my group with Bayern, Rubin and Kobenhavn. In the 2nd round 1st leg I hammered Bremen 4-1 away and eased through 2-0 at home. I then beat Inter 2-0 at home, despite some hairy moments. Somehow, after being under the cosh pretty much all through the 2nd leg I won 1-0 with Briand scoring late. In the semi I got Chelsea and scraped a 3-2 win at home, having gone 1 up I was 2-1 down by half time before Lopez and then Kallstrom in the final minute gave us a win. Bastos scored early in the 2nd leg but Zhirkov and Lampard put them 2-1 up at ht. In the second half I did well, but Lopez was suspended and Roux out of form - I couldn't force a goal and went out on away goals.

In the summer I have shaken things up. Lots of reserves leaving, and got some decent fees (and some not so decent - Mensah £500k, Ederson £250k). Vercoutre has done his cruciate ligaments so I got Remy Riou on a bosman as my new backup GK as well as a 19 year old from Lille (also bosman) as third choice. The other young GKs all left.

At the back, Cris had really dropped off in terms of stats and performances, as well as my AssMan telling me how he expected just to turn up and win so I sold him (£1.7m), Fazio hadn't made much of an impact and Villareal came calling (£2m) so he went too. Lovren, Gassama and Kolod had all been amazing to I didn't sign Bassong permanently and I let Reveilliere's contract run down. Aurier came in for £8m from Lens (inlcuding add-ons) to compete with Gassama and I paid £3.5m for another 18 year old CB from Lens whose name now escapes me but the scouts and coaches love him, he has very good stats and he'll have a few first team chances this season. The main signing was Rami from Lille for £8.5m after some very tough negotaitions on his personal terms (I love the negotiations and agents stuff in FM11). I was surprised he turned down Inter and Chelsea for me.

In midfield Pied dropped off a lot in the 2nd half of the season and was sold to Rubin for £2.5m. I'm going to give Novillo and Laca more chances on the right behind 1st choice Briand but I may bring in another winger who can play both sides if I can find someone cheap. Despite excellent performances from Gourcuff, Pjanic, Kallstrom, Defour and Toulalan (not to mention Grenier and Gonalons coming along nicely) I wanted to change something in the middle of the park. Eventually I sold Kallstrom to Aston Villa for £5.5m and signed M'Vila from Rennes for up to £10m. Probably not the best deals on paper but my scouts and coaches love him (4* across the board) and he's young and French - I love my domestic player bias! Pjanic was concerned by treatment of Kallstrom so I'll have to be careful now with him. Also bought in 16yo Yaisien from PSG for £2.5m for the future.

Up front I got Makengo from Monaco on a bosman and Tafer has come back after a good year at Toulouse. In a team where I usually play one up top I now have Lopez (who is happy again and not wanting a move to a bigger club), Roux, Belfodil, Laca, Makengo and Tafer. That is too many! Roux had a mixed season, winning the most promising player award for Ligue 1 but only scoring 3 times after Xmas and none at all in europe. Sevilla are interested, he got 10 assists to go with his 10 goals overall, his stats have improved and I really like him but if I get an offer he may go. Makengo may go on loan and pre-season will be important for Tafer. I may also look to go with 2 up front in more home league games next year.

After all that I am looking for some more coaches and to improve my training regimes, I have £35m in the bank and 2x 4* potential youngesters in my youth intake. Having got Toronto as a financial feeder club last year, I've asked for another to see if it helps the merchandising.

I'm going to struggle to improve on last year but I'm going to try!

Mvilla is a great signing, have Toulalan tutor him! Good season overall, well done :thup:

I have just created my own training schedules in my celtic save, testing them over this half season and next, and if i deem them good enough, i shall put them in the OP :)

I know you said you are playing a short fluid passing game, but post up your team settings, and i will be better able to help you buddy :thup:

Board have just made £20.5m available to me. I think my weakest position is strength in depth on the wings, but I like using the youngsters there as back ups. Will they develop well enough? (Pied and Lacazette)

I wouldn't mind a world class centre half either. I can't have anymore foreign players, but I have Cris, Lovren, Bassong (loan) and Diakhite (sp), I don't like Diakhite, whilst Lovren still doesn't convince, and Cris is too slow. Any recommendations? N'Koulou?

I was considering Hazard or Ganso, but Ganso would have to be next summer, whilst Hazard would take up all of the £20m to get him. Hmm. Any names? A back up left back would be immense, too!

Alright here i would say Gervinho for the right wing, Novillo you have is ace though! Cesar Delgado and Bastos shouldnt need any replacement

For CB, i would suggest Mexes, Rami or Roland Juhasz :thup:

Cheers Soli -

Though I am a bit concerned about the absence of a defender with a bit of pace because as far as I recall Rami too is a bit on the slower side.

Yeah, you've got me there! I hadn't thought about that much - was clearly getting sloppy in my late night tired state. Will have to look at that later. I tend to play a fairly deep line with not much space in behind for fast players to exploit so hopefully not a huge error on my part.

Pied has done extremely well in the few sub appearances for me so disappointed that you sold him.

To be honest it's as much about freshening things up than anything else although he was noticeably less productive after December - before that I wouldn't have entertained the idea of selling him. I always sell players to keep it interesting from my point of view and to keep the squad fresh in the game.

Did you take a look at N'Zogbia/ Ben Arfa for the winger position. They are both French and can play on both wings. Ben Arfa is two-footed as well but it's another matter if OM would let him go.

Will look into both of those, I quite like the idea of bringing Ben Arfa back to l'OL! There's a couple of others I like - always had a soft spot for Saivet in FM but I want a cheap deal as I've spent quite a lot already.

Mvilla is a great signing, have Toulalan tutor him! Good season overall, well done :thup:

I have just created my own training schedules in my celtic save, testing them over this half season and next, and if i deem them good enough, i shall put them in the OP :)

I certainly like him and I think he'll fit in well. If I can I will - the game wouldn't let me have Toulalan tutor Gonalons last season for some reason. I had so many players falling out in FM10 through tutoring that I probably underuse it a bit.

That would be good. I've not done much on FM11 except some quite generic youth schedules. Now I'm going to work on some individual ones for certain players and well as positions.

I will post some SS's of my tactics later, they are quite simple, I use them on pretty much every FM to good effect.

Just hammered Anderlecht 2-0 at home. The scoreline really didn't tell the story, they had one shot on goal and 31% possession. Lisandro continues to spoon chances, I am starting to think it's more than a form thing, he continues to smash shots from -6 yards over.

Still not spent my cash, either.

Someone was mentioning squad depth before, I have sold Reveillere, Delgado and Makoun, bringing in Corchia (should have got Aurier, I know), M'vila, Verratti, Vrsaljko, Radosav Petrovic and Bassong on loan with a £1m agreed fee. Bassong has probably been my best signing, he's my best centre half whilst he covers left back as well.

Tempted to go for a new striker, stuck between choosing Sanogo/Babacar, whilst I want Ganso big time but he'll have to wait until the summer.

Yes he has been playing at AMR mainly.

:cool:

I will post some SS's of my tactics later, they are quite simple, I use them on pretty much every FM to good effect.

Just hammered Anderlecht 2-0 at home. The scoreline really didn't tell the story, they had one shot on goal and 31% possession. Lisandro continues to spoon chances, I am starting to think it's more than a form thing, he continues to smash shots from -6 yards over.

Still not spent my cash, either.

Someone was mentioning squad depth before, I have sold Reveillere, Delgado and Makoun, bringing in Corchia (should have got Aurier, I know), M'vila, Verratti, Vrsaljko, Radosav Petrovic and Bassong on loan with a £1m agreed fee. Bassong has probably been my best signing, he's my best centre half whilst he covers left back as well.

Tempted to go for a new striker, stuck between choosing Sanogo/Babacar, whilst I want Ganso big time but he'll have to wait until the summer.

Sanogo is pretty good i have him for Lyon, although i like Babacar to, he went to Madrid :(, i bought Corchia also mate, have no worries hes decent :D

Started my 2011 Lyon save.

With the money i had to spend only made a few cheap signings. Brought Fazio, Villalva and Verratti with the €4m budjet.

Gomis was the only player to leave the club, on a loan to Liverpool.

Haven't decided what formation to use, mostly what midfield i should put together. Which isn't good news as my first league game is in 10 days:D

Let's see if can repeat the success i had last year with Lyonnais.

Started my 2011 Lyon save.

With the money i had to spend only made a few cheap signings. Brought Fazio, Villalva and Verratti with the €4m budjet.

Gomis was the only player to leave the club, on a loan to Liverpool.

Haven't decided what formation to use, mostly what midfield i should put together. Which isn't good news as my first league game is in 10 days:D

Let's see if can repeat the success i had last year with Lyonnais.

Welcome back mate :D

First four matches in the Ligue 1 are played. Won three, lost one. First one against Monaco we dominated and were deserved winners with 4-0. Away against Caen we were not so good, but we won anyway with 0-1 thanks to Vaclav Kadlec. The third match was also won, but again with a lot of struggle, against Brest. 3-2 with a hattrick from Kadlec. But we were down two times in the game. Didn't even dominate the game, it could have gone either way. The first match we lost came against Lorient away. They had 3 shots on target, 1 of those found the back of the net. We absolutely dominated the rest of the match, with 11 shots on target and 58% posession, but it just wasn't our day.

Just not happy jet with the performances. How would you guys recommend the passing?

First four matches in the Ligue 1 are played. Won three, lost one. First one against Monaco we dominated and were deserved winners with 4-0. Away against Caen we were not so good, but we won anyway with 0-1 thanks to Vaclav Kadlec. The third match was also won, but again with a lot of struggle, against Brest. 3-2 with a hattrick from Kadlec. But we were down two times in the game. Didn't even dominate the game, it could have gone either way. The first match we lost came against Lorient away. They had 3 shots on target, 1 of those found the back of the net. We absolutely dominated the rest of the match, with 11 shots on target and 58% posession, but it just wasn't our day.

Just not happy jet with the performances. How would you guys recommend the passing?

Lorient and Caen are my 2 major Bogey teams in the league! i struggle everytime i play them!

It depends mate, are you playing a wide formation or narrow

Rami is not slow, has 13 - 14 in pace and acceleration iirc and that is very good for a centre back

Well I had a look just now and you are right. I would have liked to see someone like Kolo Toure who has 15-16 for acceleration and pace ideally but searched and found very less players like him. So you could say Rami is above average. But I would much prefer someone like Toure, Zapata or Thiago Silva. But not possible to get them so have to be content with what we have. Incidentally Nicolas Seguin has similar pace as that of Rami. We just need to improve those defensive attibutes of his. :p

Also now when we are talking about pacey defenders what do you think about Mario Fernandes ?

Just thrashed Litex 6-0 albeit at home. I am so chuffed right now :D And I did that without Toulalan, Kallstrom and Gourcuff. Grenier and Pjanic were excellent. It's moments like these that make playing FM truly special. A few matches back I was scraping together 1-0 wins and a few matches' worth of tinkering and everything works like clockwork.

Should I sell Lloris and bring in Mandanda? Lloris has been gash so far. Forever flapping, forever conceding goals that seem to go through him. Mandanda is transfer listed for £4.7m. Only problem is: how many clubs want to buy a new goalkeeper? Maybe Man Utd will try to sign Lloris, but most rich sides have a world class goalkeeper anyway. Another possibility could be AC Milan, but I'm still unsure about this.

Never sell Lloris, but do buy the other one. Always great for competition.

I never sign great goalkeepers for back up, purely because I never rotate that position. I hate signing goalkeepers, simply because I've notoriously struggled to sell good goalkeepers on the game, as it's rare that big sides spend big on a 'keeper.

If I sign Mandanda, loan him out then sell him a year after; could I make a quick 'buck' or two?

Archived