FM11: The Official Manchester City Thread - We will buy you, yes we can!!

Koki Balboa

Just started a City save. Went a little nuts with transfers, but it's not like we're going to run out of money any time soon.

Transfers In:

Phil Jagielka- 9.75m

Steven Pienaar- 5.5m

Andy Carroll- 12.5m

Gareth Bale- 35m

Tom Cairney- 2.2m

Fernando Torres- 79m (board negotiated)

Transfers Out:

Emmanuel Adebayor- 6.75m

Jo- 4.4m

Roque Santa Cruz- Ln Fee 160k

Stuart Taylor- 1.6m

Countless others on loan

I'm playing a 4-5-1 against tougher teams, and a 4-4-2 with wingers against easier teams. Will post an update halfway through the season.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Into my City save and in pre-season. Instead of signing big stars because I can, I focused on investing in a lot of youth and kept my squad pretty much the same as I reckon they are very very good.

Ins:

-Marek Hamsik (27 million)

-Phil Jones (10 million)

-Vaclav Kadlec (5 million)

-Jordan Spence

-Thorgan Hazard

-Jack Robinson

-Jack Butland

-Zeli Ismael

-Lorenzo Crisetig

-Connor Wickham (end of season)

Outs

-Santa Cruz (on loan to Lazio)

-Jo (Sevilla)

Looking to develop Henshall, Nimely, Helan, Bodryck, and Weiss when he comes back from loan so my team is set for the next few years. I will likely go after Bale too after the season if Robinson doesn't develop as I hope

Im having problems selling Jo & Santa Cruz in my 1st season with Man City for a reasonable price. For some reason clubs would prefer to loan the 2 strikers rather then buy them?

I even put an asking price of £0 & they both reject the other teams contracts & if they are going to accept the contracts the player would want me (Man City) to pay like £18k wages for the next 3 years? WTF? I want to get rid of them because I don't need strikers & they are on ridiculous amount of high wages lol

In the end I let them go cheaply & opted to pay the £18-20k wages for the nxt 2 years

Thats the problem you get with playing as city - nobody wants to pay the ridiculous wages for the players you dont want. At the start of my 3rd season this is what ive got to pay for players sold:

Yaya Toure £88,000 p/w

Bridge £25,000

Santa Cruz £21,500

De Jong £24,000

Given £12,750

Lescott £32,000

Toure £46,000

Rakitc £2,800

Silva £30,500

I make that £282,550 per week on wages for players not even at the club. Although the contributions im making now are less than the stupid wage they recieved whilst at the club, and on the plus side I did get a decent enough transfer sum for most of them.

Just started up a game with Manchester City and will be looking at bringing in mainly young players to build up the club for the next few years.

Update on transfers will come after pre season but expect to see alot of teenagers signing at the club!!!

Thats the problem you get with playing as city - nobody wants to pay the ridiculous wages for the players you dont want. At the start of my 3rd season this is what ive got to pay for players sold:

Yaya Toure £88,000 p/w

Bridge £25,000

Santa Cruz £21,500

De Jong £24,000

Given £12,750

Lescott £32,000

Toure £46,000

Rakitc £2,800

Silva £30,500

I make that £282,550 per week on wages for players not even at the club. Although the contributions im making now are less than the stupid wage they recieved whilst at the club, and on the plus side I did get a decent enough transfer sum for most of them.

My god looks at those wages!!! Im suprised you sold Silva, Rakitc, Yaya & Kolo Toure imo...the rest i would have sold myself, but still its annoying that some man city players would want us to pay wages to them after we sold them, greedy bastards! lol

Just started up a game with Manchester City and will be looking at bringing in mainly young players to build up the club for the next few years.

Update on transfers will come after pre season but expect to see alot of teenagers signing at the club!!!

That's exactly what im doing too, investing in youth players...In my Man City saves I made 12 signings all under 19 years old. Brought in some top staff & the best scouts.

here is my Man city save so far

Season 1

Ins:

Dzeko £40m after 50 league games

De Rossi £40m over 48 months

Fabregas £79m (board negotiated the transfer

Srna £20m over 48 months (signed in January)

Ous:

Bridge (loan)

Santa Cruz (Loan)

SWP (Loan)

A Johnson (loan)

plus loads of younger players on loan

Finished 2nd in Prem behind United.

Won the League Cup & FA Cup.

Loast in last 16 of Europa League.

Top scorer was Balotelli with 26 in all competitions

Season 2.

Ins:

Bale £40m over 48 months

Hulk £33m over 48 months

Pastore £30m over 38 months

Essien has signed £40m up front and £40m over 48 months on the last day of August

Out:

Silva (loan)

Bridge (Loan)

Weiss (2m)

J Silva (4m)

Adebayor (8.75m)

Boateng (loan)

Got rid of a load more younger players on loan or permanent deals

Squad:

GK: Hart, Given

DR: Srna, Zabaletta

DL: Bale, Kolorov

DC: Richards, Toure, Kompany, Lescott

DMC: De Rossi, De Jong

MC: Fabregas, Essien, Toure, Barry, Milner

AMC: Pastore

ST: Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli, Hulk

Currently played 4 league games winning 3 and drawing 1

In to 4th Rnd of League cup

one my opening champions League game

I play a 4-3-1-2 narrow formation

Okay i joined Man City in december of season one with them in 7th but only 5 points of 4th and 9 of 2nd. Managed to finish in 2nd place but i was 13 points of Man U in 1st, we were already garunteed 3rd in the europa league so i decided it was time for change.

Transfers in:-

Khouma Babacar-19M (48 months)

Luc Castaignos-5M

Thorgan Hazard-3.3M

Harry Kane-3.4M

Phil Jones-7.5M

and

Walter Samuel 15M (board negotiated)

Outs:-

Vincent Kompany-5M (Mancini Sold Him)

John Guidetti-6M (Thought this was a good deal with 50% of any profit made)

Jo 4.4M (Mancini Again)

and lots of youths went out on loan

Season 2:-

CHAMPIONS !!!

Won the league by 8 points over spurs with Man u and arsenal making up the rest of the top 4

Summer ins:-

Gareth Bale-50 M (negotiated from 165M :confused::eek: )

John Harrison (regen)-100k-Boast 11 attributes over 15 in key postions- described as a wonderkid

Sami Khedira-3M singed as a back-up but quickly booted Yaya out of the team, highly recommend him

Summer outs:-

23 youth players on loan

Mario Balotelli on loan to birmingham 750K

Felipe Caicedo (sp?) 4.7 M to Juve

Winter ins:-

Wesley Sneijder 56M (board negotiated)

cesar azpilicueta 12M ( good deal after an av.rat of 7.89 in europe last season

Winter outs:-

Boyata 5M to Feyenoord

Pirlo coming in on a free at the end of the season as back-up

also a Chilean regen Cb who looks pique-like with 6 caps already at 18

play a narrow 4-1-2-1-2

current line up

Gk-Hart

FBR-Azpilicueta

FBL-Bale

CB-Samuel/Toure

Dm-De Jong/Harrison(regen)

Cm-silva/Khedira

Am-Sneijder

St-Tevez/Babacar

phew long post sorry its a bit wordy :):o

here is my Man city save so far

Top scorer was Balotelli with 26 in all competitions

What settings do you use for him? I'm finding him to be very inconsistent. Although he's in a strop at the moment as I chose the lowest premier league bonus which was still way too high /o\

With Joe Hart out injured and backup Boucher in the reserves i just made the mistake of letting my assistant pick the team. Eden Hazard played in goal, luckily Bolton couldn't manage a shot on target and we won 1-0, he got a 6.8 rating.

Think I need to up my concentration.

So with the season under way I will give you a brief update of transfer action and results. My main aim was to bring in youthful players to build the club up with for a few years.

Transfers In

Zeli Ismail - 1.6M

Toni Silva - 575K

Tobias Figueiredo - 875K

Jack Robinson - 1.1M

Abdallah Yaisien - 2.1M

Zacharie Boucher - 900K

Piotr Parzyszek - 875K

Amine - 1M

Marco Verratti - 1.3M

Elijero Elia - 15M

Romelu Lukaku - 7M

Simone Verdi - 4.5M

Paulo Henrique - 17.25M

Kevin - 3.5M

Pre Season was intresting with the team gelling and also looking at new youthful talent in the squad which I have brought in.

Season So Far

F - Man City Res 4-0 Balotelli, Silva, Bridge, Tevez

F - Hyde 9-0 Tevez(3), Robinson, Elia(2), Lukaku, Ismail, Y.Toure

F - RW Essen 0-0

F - Eintracht Braunschweig 0-1

F - Unterhaching 1-0 Y.Toure

F - Plymouth 1-1 Paryszek

F - Wycombe 3-1 Johnson, Tevez, Lukaku

Prem - Fulham (A) 4-1 Wright-Philips, Tevez(2), Y.Toure

Europa - Martimo (H) 0-1

Prem - Stoke (H) 1-1 Wright-Philips

Europa - Martimo 4-0 K.Toure, Tevez(2), Milner

As you can see lot of transfers in but mainly youth and thinking the home game against Martimo would be easy I decided to rest a few players and play couple youngster which obviously did not work.

'II. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Both of the above are for Windows (all versions)

3. Press Apple key, Shift, and 3 keys all together to take a screenshot of the whole screen.

4. Save the file as a JPEG

Or

3. Press Apple key, Shift, and 4 keys all together to take a screenshot of part of the screen.

4. Save the file as a JPEG

Both of the above are for Apple Macs.'

That should help 'Ihavesparetime'

Oh and welcome to the forums.

The reason why nobody plays city is obvious though - they're about to break football in real life, and essentially they've broken the game as well. It sucks to play the market in FM11 because city get into almost each transfer one tries to make. I was just following Hazard and his development, tried to suggest 12m as a price, negotiated it to be accepted at 14.5. In comes city after me with 24m, gets it accepted, of course he chooses them, and now he sits there and probably won't get much play time with 180k/week wages. The city reserves are chock full of expensive talents just running down their contracts, mostly available for loan as "sloppy seconds" for any other ambitious team.

I don't mind really, i don't - it's just this that makes the game kind of pointless to play for some people. I played a city game on the demo just for ***** and giggles, but it isn't a challenge, no challenge at all.

You, sir, win the nobel prize of terriffic arguments.

Quality arguement imo. For example I'm enjoying my City save, by making it challenging for myself. Okay i spent over 100M in the first season, but that was on youngsters. My main aims are to: significantly reduce the wage bill by selling the deadwood and the over-paid players; develop players from the youth team; and to eventually become the most decorated side in history...if i ever get that far.

Why visit the thread just to dismiss it, you might not enjoy it but others do.

here's my season so far with man city:

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb463/ihavesparetime/

first in the league but i think il be dropping quite a few points because of some heavy fixtures and wil need to use to researves.

give me some comment/BANTER :p

happy fming.

EDIT: forget to say, my slick combacks and richard's hat trick on the first day of the season. i put tevez first on the list for penalties and wanted carlitos to take it to get his first goal but he gave it to micah. what a nice lad!

Must have quite a big squad with all those signings 'ihavesparetime', how are the new youngsters doing?

You must have a pretty good corner setup for Richards to get a hattrick mate, well played. Some nice comebacks, any chance of a screenie of the premier league table?

My god looks at those wages!!! Im suprised you sold Silva, Rakitc, Yaya & Kolo Toure imo...the rest i would have sold myself, but still its annoying that some man city players would want us to pay wages to them after we sold them, greedy bastards! lol

Kolo was getting old, and Boyata, Jones, Kompany, Boeteng, Onuoha and even Rodwell were more than enough to cover CB. Yaya's wages were just stupid, Rakitic and Silva both spent a long time on the sidelines with injury and when they played just didn't perform.

Must have quite a big squad with all those signings 'ihavesparetime', how are the new youngsters doing?

You must have a pretty good corner setup for Richards to get a hattrick mate, well played. Some nice comebacks, any chance of a screenie of the premier league table?

umm...as you can see, 'we will buy you, yes we can' i was just buying for fun. only rodwell has been playing regularly for me. the rest are in u18 and researves getting some QUALITY researves experience lol. hazard and ljajic are future replacements for SWP and silva. silva has no stamina, consistently injured and on such high wages so i'm looking to get rid of him in a season or two.

Hi all, first post on the forum. Started a game with City and made a pretty bright start so far.. here's the details:

Transfers:

transfers.th.png

Table:

tableeg.th.png

Also through to the 4th round of the Carling Cup and won my first Europa League group game.

I use a 4-4-2 diamond formation but with central midfielders instead of wingers, hence why I sold Adam Johnson. I didn't want to get rid of Shawn Wright-Philips though so I'm retraining him to the AM position and he's already done well as an inside forward, with 4 goals and 5 assists in 8 starts. He's keeping Silva out of the team at the moment.

The only league loss came at home to Wigan when Adebayor forgot how to finish. Beating Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge made up for it though.

Cheers!

Well I'm retraining Micah Richards to the centre-back position and I've bought in Mexes so I just didn't think I'd ever play Kompany. Toure and Lescott have been doing better than I expected them to do as well, conceded just 2 goals in 11 games in all competitions so far. :)

Ye I agree with Llew_Arshavin23. Adam Johnson is hell of a backup for my team. I don't want to buy anyone on the AML/ML position just because there is a chance he'll kick Adam out of the squad. But yes its your game and you can play as you wish :) good work with Mexes btw. He is great, bought him for free in the second season. Wish you luck.

Restarted my City save after Dzeko signed so I could put him on the squad. I'll likely continue my strat of signing young stars and building my team that way. I'm going to sign Pastore I think off the bat so I can add some creativity into that midfield.

Edit:

Hi Guys,

Just started a City game any tips on signings?

I was looking at Hazard and maybe Mexes possibly?

I signed Mexes for £5.5 million at the start, was second only to Carlos Tevez after the first season based on average rating, absolute bargin, defo buy!

---

Season Review 2010/11

Carling Cup

Saw off West Ham 1-0 in the final with an injury hit squad and a busy fixture list. Didn't have any strikers on the field for the 2nd half due to injuries but held on for my first trophy.

Premiership

Won by 2 points to 2nd placed Arsenal. The league was ridiculously tight with around 15 games to go with about 6 teams that could've won it but I went on a 19-game unbeaten run which will continue into the next season and needed 3 points from my last 2 matches to clinch the title. Crazy how it ended up, but the 2nd to last game was at Old Trafford. 1-0 down after 5 minutes to a Rooney goal but Balotelli equalized on the stroke of half time before a second half of end-to-end football. With 35 shots between us it could've been 5-5 but it remained 1-1 until the 2nd minute of extra time. United had already got Brown sent off on 86 minutes before Vidic saw red after he brought down none other than Carlos Tevez, who dusted himself off to score the resulting penalty and win us the league. Couldn't have possibly gone any better than that. Finished on 81 points, scored 70, conceded 22.

FA Cup

3 days after we won the title and we had Everton in the final. Dominated but couldn't equalize from a 36-minute Fellaini goal until another last-minute strike saved me. This time Shaun Wright-Philips popped up on the 91st minute to take it to extra time. With Everton down to 10 men (got a bit lucky with these reds, didn't I?) from the 72nd minute we continued to dominate until Adebayor headed the winner on 99 minutes.

Europa League

Got to the final fairly comfortably knocking out Galatasaray, PSV, Lille and Shakhtar before meeting Villarreal in the final, which took place another 3 days after the FA Cup final. Galatasaray offered the only real test after I lost 2-0 away to them, but made up for it in the home leg with a 3-0 victory. Thought the final was heading to extra time with few clear-cut chances apart from them missing a first-half penalty before Balotelli smashed in to break the deadlock (see video below), then scored a second before Villarreal pulled back a consolation.

Overall

Couldn't have asked for much more really. Other highlights included doing the double over Chelsea with 1-0 wins home and away, a hilarious Kromkamp own goal (also see video below) that helped me on my way to thumping PSV, Shaun Wright-Phillips excellent season in the attacking midfield position and the fact that in all competitions I never conceded more than 2 goals in a single game.

[video=youtube;OTTthfAw5j8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTthfAw5j8

[video=youtube;PC4a9vJaFy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC4a9vJaFy8

Any suggestions for strengthening my team for next season? Brought in Adler in the January transfers btw, been solid so far. Looking for a central midfielder and possibly another striker.

Go for Dzeko he is ours whatsoever. About the midfield you can go for either Ganso or Pastore and retrain them to play MC or you can go for Jack Wileshire or Aaron Ramsey. If you want a defensive minded hot prospect definetely go for M'Vila!

Whats the best settings for Mexes at the moment I have got him set as Stopper is this best for him do you think?

Just started the season with an away trip to Blackpool however I lost 2-1 :(, I have signed Mexes, Srna, Hazard, Neymar and Lukuku, hopefully its just case of needing time to gel.

@Arshavin

I found Johnson and Kompany to underperform. I offloaded both to Everton.

I have created a pretty unbeatable team now, I am already top, not lost yet but keep dropping some silly draws.

GK - Hart/De Gea

LB - Kolarov/Bale

CB - Jones/Rami

CB - Thiago Silva/Boyata

RB - Dickinson(newgen)/Van der Wiel/Richards

CM - Vidal/Milner

CM - Toure/Khidera

AM - Paulo Henrique/David Silva

AM - Hamsik/Kroos

AM - Pastore/Jesus Navas

ST - Tevez/Abel Hernandez/Babacar

Probably my most consistent performer is Yaya Toure, he is unbelievable in CM, I play him as Ball Winning Midfielder Support and took his long shots to rarely (even though he still does it cos of his PPM) he just plays outstanding almost every match.

Normally I dont have players above 30 in my team its just a habit I have always had with Manager games and Toure is 31 now and I cant not play him, he scores a lot of goals and makes probably the most passes in my team because he joins in with the build up play so much

Its also the same with Joe Hart. I know David De Gea can be a lot better but atm he can only make champions league and cup games as Joe Hart is outstanding.

Whats the best settings for Mexes at the moment I have got him set as Stopper is this best for him do you think?

Just started the season with an away trip to Blackpool however I lost 2-1 :(, I have signed Mexes, Srna, Hazard, Neymar and Lukuku, hopefully its just case of needing time to gel.

I started off ok before losing at home to Wigan and away to Stoke. Just keep at it and they should maintain consistency. As for Mexes, I put him on the duty 'cover' and he was solid throughout the season.

I thought there would be more activity in this thread, but, there you go. :thdn:

Decided to make a new City save after watching that spell-binding match against Wolves on 'Football First' then 'Match Of the Day'. And, i have to say, Citeh have nabbed a GREAT striker in Edin Dzeko, & I'm an Arsenal fan. :thup:

I'll look to play a formation like this whenever I can;

cityformation.png

I'll attempt to play possession football & dominate games, I'm using David Silva as an 'Inside Forward' in the AMC position. He's been on fire in pre-season with an average rating of 7.88 contributing with 4 assists & 3 goals in 3 games. Balotelli down the Left, cutting back inside & Adam Johnson/Jimmy Milner down theRight flank, also cutting in.

Not much transfer activity in his first window, just some youngsters to develop into my first team in future seasons. I shall post all of my transfer activity in the Monthly Update at the end of the month & once the Transfer window ha closed. :thup:

Should be a very enjoyable save.

C'mon You City!

Monthly Update - August

A decent month.

Premier League

Tottenham - 1 (Defoe '41)

Man City - 2 (Tevez '4, '29)

Europa League 4th Qual. Round - Leg 1

Montpellier - 1 (Giroud '90+3)

Man City - 0

Premier League

Man City - 0

Liverpool - 1 (Torres '5)

Europa League 4th Qual. Round - 2nd leg

Man City - 2 (Adebayor '50, '90)

Montpellier - 0 ---------- Man City win 2-1 on aggregate.

Premier League

Sunderlnd - 1 (Bent '48, Cattermole STRAIGHT RED '22)

Man City - 2 (Kompany '44, Balotelli m/p '47, Tevez '84)

Europa League - Group H

CSKA Moscow

Man City

Dortmund

Luzern

Carling Cup 3rd Round Draw

Stoke Vs. Man City

I would have liked to have a bit of a more secure start to the season but, It wasn't to be. We dominated every match this month & that Liverpool fixture was robbed from us by a flukey goal from Torres. :thdn: I also have a tricky group stage to negotiate in Europe.

Transfers - In's & Out's - Summer 2010

In's

Alex Chamberlain - Southampton - £625k

Raphael Varane - RC Lens - £2.2 million

Mathieu Crouzat - Toulouse - £1.8 million

Marko Maletic - FC Utrecht - £925k

Rabiu Ibrahim - Unattached - Free

Zeli Ismail - Wolves - £2.1 million

Sime Vrsaljko - Dinamo Zagreb - £3.1 million

Out's

Roque Santa Cruz - Birmingham - Loan (Fee - £120k)

Kelvin Etuhu - Bristol City - £1.3 million

Rabiu Ibrahim - KV Machelen - Loan (To Gain Work Permit)

Sime Vrsaljko - KV Mechelen - Loan (To gain Work Permit)

C'MON YOU CITY!

Hi all,

I've just taken over from Mancini as Man City manager. I've inherited a decent squad but with the cash available I've also brought in some of my own players. My signing dilemma is this, should I sign Suarez (sp) from Ajax, Pato from Milan or Wilshire from Arsenal - all roughly the same price/wages. It's really to slot into either am advanced fwd role or inside forward aml or amr.

Current squad is;

ST tevez hulk balotelli Lukaku

AMR gervinho balotelli*

AML hulk bale

Suarez is a St AMR aml, he would fit in well into any of the 3 roles.

Wilshire would fit into aml or amr

Pato is St or amr.

I'm leaning towards Suarez but Wilshire is tempting as he's English...

Thoughts?

Also when you bank balance is in the red, does the chairman pump funds in?

The chairman has a bottomless pit of money so no matter how far into the red it's fine. Personally i'd go for Wishire, purely because of the englishness and he was good on my everton save.

On a side note, 2015 and finally reduced City's wage bill to around £1M.

Archived