FM 2008: Everton - Where Andy Johnson scores for fun

Becksmania

Thought I'd start a new game with Everton as I've enjoyed watching them this year and so far so good!

I told the board that we'd finish somewhere near the top and then I proved my ambition by making Rafael Van Der Vaart my first signing for £7.5m plus clauses. Then I added Ever Banega from Boca, Santonocito from Celtic (one for the future) and Danny Simpson on a seasons loan from Man Utd. I sold Nuno Valente to Villa for £1.2m and Leon Osman to Derby for about £4m and also got rid of Turner and Boyle for just over a million between them.

First game of the season... Liverpool at home. An amazing 5-0 victory. Obviously the board and the ans were delighted and I couldn't have asked for a better start. So far played 9, won 6, drawn 2, lost 1 (not inc. friendlies). Scored 27 conceded 7 and sitting 4th in the league 3 points off the top.

Yakubu is my top scorer with 8, AJ's got 7. VdV's got 8 assists.

Next up Man Utd at Old Trafford.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys, Just started a new game as Everton. Made some major changes offloading a few and replacng them with others.

This is my First Team

01022008231625vp5.th.png

Still got Baines, Cahill & Vaughan in the reserves until they get match fit.

These are my Transfers

01022008231947da7.th.png

So far played 4, won 2, drawn 1 & lost 1

Anyway I'll let you know how I get on.

Started a game for Everton and came 5th... should've gotten 4th spot, was 6 points up with 5 games to go but dropped some points to some shoddy teams. Then played Liverpool and Man Utd int he last 2 games, won the Liverpool match but lost to Man Utd. Fustrating cause I wanted to play Champions League next season. Ah well. Yakubu has been my god, 31 goals for the season. Cahill has 10 for the season, he's done pretty well after injury. I also signed Piatti and he was awwsome as well. I play a 4-1-3-1-1 formation with 3 central midfielders. It works very well I find. I signed Breno and he has cemented his place in the side because I sold Yobo for 19 mil to Inter Milan. Signed a host of other guys but sent them out to feeder clubs because I couldn't get a WP. Banega who I signed at the start of the season hasn't really done as well as I hoped... tried to play him in the deep playmaking role Pirlo style but it didn't work out. Singed Aartitalo and Stancu as well but they haven't have had a chance to play since Yakubu was in so good form. Johnson hasn't been too good for me though, scored 10 goals in the season but Yakubu has been much much better.

just started a game non-patched.

am going to restart it though because forgot to change the German national team to be normal.

is it worth patching the game? does it run better?

and scousemouse where did you get that skin and the logo from?

Originally posted by Rich...:

Thought I'd start a new game with Everton as I've enjoyed watching them this year and so far so good!

I told the board that we'd finish somewhere near the top and then I proved my ambition by making Rafael Van Der Vaart my first signing for £7.5m plus clauses. Then I added Ever Banega from Boca, Santonocito from Celtic (one for the future) and Danny Simpson on a seasons loan from Man Utd. I sold Nuno Valente to Villa for £1.2m and Leon Osman to Derby for about £4m and also got rid of Turner and Boyle for just over a million between them.

First game of the season... Liverpool at home. An amazing 5-0 victory. Obviously the board and the ans were delighted and I couldn't have asked for a better start. So far played 9, won 6, drawn 2, lost 1 (not inc. friendlies). Scored 27 conceded 7 and sitting 4th in the league 3 points off the top.

Yakubu is my top scorer with 8, AJ's got 7. VdV's got 8 assists.

Next up Man Utd at Old Trafford.

thats pretty impressive. what tactics are you using?

Originally posted by Phyllis:

just started a game non-patched.

am going to restart it though because forgot to change the German national team to be normal.

is it worth patching the game? does it run better?

and scousemouse where did you get that skin and the logo from?

Hi Phyllis

I get all my skins &logo's etc. from http://www.sortitoutsi.net/fm2007/index.php?page=downlo...rea=file&fileid=1866

The skin is called 'steklo'

Evening everyone, just thought i'd give an update to where i'm at.

Firstly the January transfer window has just closed and decided to cash in on a couple of players, particularly AJ for which I managed to get £11.75m for him from Blackburn. Also offloaded Wessels for £1m to Stuggart & Carsley went to Wigan for £160k (wasn't getting a game at all)

So with the AJ money managed to make a couple of shred buys :

Felipe (DC) from Udinese for £4.6m

Shaun Maloney from Aston Villa for £1.4m (thought it was to good a price to refuse as I have seen his value a sky rocket in previous games- decent back up aswell)

Diego Benaglio (GK) from Lazio for £900k - looks decent so thought I'd give him a go as back up to Howard, only 24 aswell.

Also made Pienaar's move permanant for £2m.

Lastly picked up Bogdan Stancu for £300k from Steaua (based on all the ravings I see on here & for £300k didn't think I had anything to loose.

Right thats the Transfers.

In the League i'm current sitting in 4th place on 46 points, no chance of winning the league though, as Arsenal & Man Utd are on 61 & 60 points. So just need to keep hold of 4th spot, maybe snatch 3rd from Chelsea who are only 4 points ahead of me.

Unfortunately the board are a pee'd off at me for getting knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round, but I did draw Chelsea, so think they should be a bit me relaxed about it, especially as I have just managed to beat Chelsea 3-0 over 2 legs in the League Cup Semi-Final. Up against Arsenal though, so fingers crossed my players avoid any injurys and can perform on the day.

Also through to the knockout stahes of the Uefa Cup, managed to draw FC Groningen, so not to bad, but if I manage to get through that i've got either Roma or Braga (probably Roma).

Anyway personally I think I having a decent first season, so fingers vrossed it doesn't all fall apart.

Here's my 1st Team, so any recommendations for strengthening in the summer or players you think I should offload/cash-in on in the please let me know, all advise is welcome.

01112008200056ee6.th.png

That's All Folks, for now anyway. Will keep you posted how i'm doing.

Decided after many games with side's in prem i would take on the Everton job due to the Scottish connection with Moyes and King Faddy ,

Anyway cleared out alot of dead wood ,and sold on player's that dont fit the tactic i am playing ,

Transfer's

Transfer History

Andy j went for 20 mill 10over 24months and 10 after his next Intl ,

J Evans in on loan from utd,

Best win's under my reign so far are ,

Bayern away

Lpool away

Table so far,

Table

Targets for jan window ,Breno ,Garay,Braind

Finished my 1st season, here's a re-cap of how I did :

In the League, I managed to finish 3rd, although I was a staggering 19 points of winners Arsenal.

Lost the Legue Cup Final 2-1 to Arsenal, even though the went down to 10 men in the 3rd minute of the 1st half.

As I said in my earlier post, got knowcked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round to Chelsea 2-0

Better Luck in the Euro Cup though, beat Tottenham 3-1 in the final.

Managed to pick up a couple of Honours :

Top Goalscorer - Yakubu 24 goals

Both signings of the season - Henok Goitom £3.9m & Sylvain Marveaux £4.3m

So, all in all not a bad season.

Even so, a couple of players decided they wanted to move on to better things (so they said)

Yobo £16m Sevilla - Wanted to move to a bigger club

Alan Hutton £5.5m Portsmouth - Wanted 1st Team football

Phil Jagielka £6m Newcastle - Again wanted 1st Team football.

So with the money these are my Transfer In for 2nd Season :

Valon Behrami (D/WB/MR) - £12m from Lazio

Davis Luiz (DC) - £13m from Sau Paolo

Ivan Rakitic (AMC) - £6.75m from Schalke

Diogo (ST) - £1.3m from FC Kobenhavn

So here's my 1st Team Squad for this season :

01142008191829te7.th.png

Champions League started OK beat Beleneses 4-1 on agg to qualify for the groups stages, but have been drawn in a tough group 'Barcelon/PSV/Armedia'

League form is poor though, played 4, drawn 3 against Aston Villa, Blackburn & West Ham, lost 1 to Chelsea. So currently lying in 18th place on 3 points.

On a brighter note though, have just beat Inter 3-1 in the Super Cup.

Just need to kick on with some results in the league to get me moving up the table.

Anyway that's it for now, will keep u upto date as i go along.

Just hope my striker stay fit as I missed out on another striker at the transfer window deadline. Knew I should have put the recall clause into Bogdan Stancu's transfer. Also Diogo is out at my affiliate due to WP problems, but looks a great talent and only 20 so plenty of time for him yet.

Anyway, even though I can't bring anyone in till January. Any suggestions who I should get based on my team (posted 2 posts up). Personally I think it's another striker I need but who do you recommend with a budget of £19m. Or anyone else for other positions.

Advice is more then appreciated.

Decent enough 1st season got 4th in league happy enough ,

League and Fa cup did very poor not happy .

Uefa cup did on got to semi final v Bayern got beat 6.4 over both legs ,

Screenie's

league table

uefa league group

season info

Transfers

Targets next season to break into top 3 ,

Hope for champs league knock out's

and to win a cup,

Yak's a machine got 35 with Love back up 22

• 3 weeks later...

So how are people doing with the mighty toffees?

If so, post details and tactics etc please?

I just started a new game last week, not had much time on it. sitting second after ten games playing a basic 4-4-2, but last couple results look like i might start to be struggling.

Cahill just back from injury, and although i have him in his natural m c position, after 5 games or so he hasn't really produced. anyone getting the goods from him?

Originally posted by sherm:

I was looking at a 4-5-1 if I go away to bigger sides (Arsenal, ManUre etc) sort of looking like this

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

GK

DR DC DC DL

DMC

AMR MC AML

AMC

FC FC

</pre>

I think this could provide more strength in the middle of the park. Osman soesn't seem to perform, so he's a prime candidate for being sold, possibly looking at a top notch 'keeper (Any recommendations) I might try and bring in another central midfielder to shore it up (Banega, Javi Martinez, Nordtveit)

Anyone got any tips, or any questions or comments, feel free to post

Sherm

WOW!!! I wish my Everton team was as good as yours! How'd you manqage to play 12 players???!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lefty0151

Im in my 5th season now, record as follows:

07/08 - Prem 4th, Won FA Cup and Charity Shield

08/09 - Prem 2nd, Runners Up FA Cup

09/10 - Prem 1st

10/11 - Prem 1st, Runners Up FA Cup

11/12 - Prem 1st, Won FA Cup and Charity Shield

But Europe is alluding me, despite big win bonues for the squad. Any ideas on how to get over this?

Curret squad is 1st class, and have Fraco Baresi as assistant coach.

Starting XI is:

Howard

RB Daniel Alves

LC Baines

DC Coloccini

DC Yobo

RM Arteta/Luka Mordic/Nani

LM Nani/Luka Mordic/Arteta

CM Van Der Vaart

CM Ever Banega/Micheal Johnson

CF Johnson/Kerlon

CF Ashton/Defoe

Subs

Stubhaug

Samba

Baxter

Neville

Alou Diarra

JP Kissock

Rajkovic

Keep hold of Jose Baxter, turns in to a great impact player. Van Der Vaart is immense, as has been English Player of the year for the past 3 seasons.

Im scouting for some good quality youngster, in fact ones with the potential for be world beaters. Anyone got any ideas on where to look?

• 3 weeks later...

Right Hi,

Don't know how often this gets used but oh well,

I've just finished my 2nd season and it was an improvement on the first (UEFA Cup winners & 3rd EPL).

Transfers In

A.Diarra - £5.25m

M.Amelia - £7.5m

Iago - Loan

S.Aguero - £16.5m

H. Ben Arfa - £20.5m

M Veloso - £22m

F. Clerc - £5.25 P/ex

Out

Lots of loans

A.Johnson - £16m

N.Valente - £2m

EPL

In the league we finished 3rd for the second consecutive year, firmly establishing ourselves as one of the big 4, Liverpool had another crap season, Shock of the season was Man Utd who previously won the title by 20+ points finished in 4th, I narrowed the gap with the top two only missing out on the title by 9 points in the end.

Domestic Cups

Managed to win both the League and FA cup this season after early exits last year, really pleased about this, particular highlights in the FA cup, dumping the RS out in the semi's before pasting Arsenal (EPL Champs) 5-1, 4 goals from the wonderboy, James Vaughnan.

Champions League

TBH I was a bit gutted about not being able to defend my UEFA cup crown as I knew I'd have more a chance winning that than the Champions League but oh well, he financial point of the Champs League is that you get so much more!!!

Through the rounds easy really with not much drama, was proud of the boys, came unstuck in the semi's were we were dumped out by R.Madrid,

Lost the first leg 2-1 at goodison and then failed to score at the Bernebeau(sp? lol).

Super Cup

We won the super cup beating Barca 3-1, was good, I was the Everton manager to ever win it. I'm proud lol.

Season Summary

I'm happy, I set myself a personal target of top 4 a good cup run in one domestic and maybe semi's of UEFA Cup.

One other target wazs to bring in players and keep hold as many old ones as possible to give me more strength in depth, this was achieved minus perhaps the need for anotheCB when it comes to ACN time,

We surpassed my aims by finishing 3rd, closing gap on top two, dicking the RS 3 times in a season icon_smile.gif, and by reaching semis of Champs League and winning two domestics.

Star player was probably S.aguero, had a slow start but then got upto what he's know for, amazing.

Also James Vaughan, who I decided to give more games than the Yak as he wasn't upto his previous 50+ goal a season standars, it paid off the boys got frightening pace and bagged himself over 25 goals in about as many appearances.

Last mention to Dan Gosling, kid stepped up mid season when we were strickened with injuries and suspensions, was named in team of weaks and got young player of month, definitely one for next season.

Next seasons Aim's

Next season I've got to try and emulat this years success if possible, and push for the league title, I think with a couple more signings, we could do it.

Team

GK - Amelia / Howard

LB - Baines / J Mathieu

CB's - Yobo / Samba / Lescott / Rodwell

RB - Clerc / Chimbonda

DM's - Veloso / Diarra / Kaboul / Gosling

AM's - Ben Arfa / Matias Fernandez / Aguero / Gari / Arteta / Osman / Pienarr

ST - Yak / Vaughan / Aguero

Formation 4-2-3-1

NSNO COYB!!!!

Originally posted by VA101:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thorney:

Im in need of a 'good' right back....

Any suggestions?

Same here, that is the only position i lack quality in </div></BLOCKQUOTE> try hoyte from arsenal. works great for me icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

My Everton starting XI is along the lines of ..

GK - Isaksson/Felipe

DR - Barragan/Gosling

DL - Molyneux/Rouga

DC - Yobo

DC - Bellaid

DM - Jagielka

AMR - Kalouda

AML - Jemaa

AMC - Bonnet/Cavallo

FC - Adu

FC - Haynes

SUBS

DF - Rodwell, Densmore

MF - Pienaar, Jebbour

FC - Anichebe, Ayew, Aleksic

I think, off top of my head. Maybe one or two missing. Season 2012/13. 1 game in. Not the greatest squad, I know. But got me to 4th in Premiership last season (Minus a couple of new, pre-season transfers) My highest position so far. Always been mid table before last season.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by damo666:

should i sell Arteta for 31million (Euros(N-N)), current price is 15.5million. Transfer Budget is about 25million.

I could never bring myself to do it, Instead I let him carry on trying to play until his 34th lmao

Just finished my first season, won the league and the cup, quarters of the euro cup and the league cup. playing on 8.0.2.

i didn't sign too many players, song on loan from arsenal, paid 7mil for barragan though and enyeama came for 500k halfway through the season.completely changed the back room staff, with massimo neri as my assistant.

team

gk howard

rb hibbert

lb baines

dc yobo

dc lescott

mc song

mc fernandes

amc arteta

amc cahill

amc osman

st johnson

sub enyeama

sub barragan

sub pienaar

sub yakubu

sub gardner

kimz 8.0.2 tactic. Not doing so well in my second season though, currently 3rd in league, out of league cup in semis, out of fa cup in 4th round and but still in champions league second round. spent a lot of money,

signed kompany for 12mill, hamsik on a free, matieas fernandez for 12mill and vantaggiato for 3mill.

sold yobo for 20 mill and the yak for 11.25mill. james vaughn has been doing well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a question about 2 players Jagielka and AJ , everton have been relegated in my game in the 2nd season and i have been promoted with QPR im in the january transfer window, my question is are they anygood? Jagielka will cost me 7mill cost protsmouth who where relagated aswell have offered that amount but he has accepted to come to me, and AJ wil cost me about 9mill. some help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Originally posted by 123_efc:

AJ is immense for me and I wouldn't sell him for £25m, so I say deal

thanks i signed him for 9mill, he assited 2 goals in his debut then won me the game against chelsea , then broke his arm 1min into the match against arsenal so his been ot for 1 month, only got 2 weeks till his back. he looks really good cant wait for him to come back

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I am Everton at the moment. Just about to enter August at the beggining of the 3rd season.

In season one i won the League Cup, got to the Quater Final of the F.A Cup the 2nd round of the Euro Cup and finished 6th in the League.

The Second season I lost in the Final of the League cup to Fulham, terrible result, Then got to the Semi Final of the F.A Cup, and the Semi Final of the Euro Cup, With a Second place finish 2 points behind arsanal.

During my time at everton I have done quite alot of Wheelin n dealing, I have signed a Total of 37 players, while selling only 18. In total ive spent 106 million and recieved 114 million from the sales i have made.

My First team squad looks like this..

Goalkeepers : Tim Howard , Tomas kuszczak, Sebastian Viera

Defenders : Mickael Cretien , Leighton Baines , Scott Goldbourne, Christiphor Samba, David Wheater, David Rozehnal.

Midfielders : Lorik Cana, Thiago Motta, Vitolo, Fernando Belluschi, Zdravco Kuzmanovic, Steven Pienaar, Andrey Arshavin , Mauro Zarate , Matias Fernandez, George Boyd

Forwords: Peter Crouch, Kevin Doyle, James Vaughan

So theres my 23 man squad, How do you rate my team? David Wheater performs brilliantley, And i got him for a snip at 2 million when middlesbrough were relagated :D

Just finished my 3rd season now, I got into the Semi Final of the Champions League, but lost 4-3 on aggregate to Arseanal, 5th Round in both domestic cups, And a second place finish in the League, behind arch rivals Liverpool.

As for my playing squad, Over the past season, Kuszczac has gone out to Spain in a 3.3 Million pound deal, David Rozehnal has left on a free transfer to France, Motta has dropped into my Reserves due to the fact no one wants to take him off my wage bill, he was my worst buy in my oppinion.

Arshavin, Vitilo, Pienaar have all been transfer listed, While alot of big clubs ar intrested in Zarate, Fernandez, Kuzmanovic, Cretien and Samba.

i have only made 4 new signings, Niclas Millan, Loic Abenzoir a 4Million pound signing, and at the age of 22 looks a great future replacement for Cretien if he goes during the transfer window. Marvin Elliot came in for 2 Million to add some british back bone to the squad, and finnally a 13 Million pound transfer fee for 23 year old brazzilian centre half David luiz.

Anyone care to comment on how they think i should strengthen?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone im managing everton now in my 4th season and i've been doing pretty good however im looking to trim the size of my squad and considering selling Andy Johnson and Joleon LEscott as they dont perform that well for me. i was also considering selling Anichebe too but im alittle reluctant he is decent and my ass. man believes so too, should i give him more time? does anyone know if he turns out be a good player or not

Started again on he 8.0.2 update as Everton. This is my team:

GK Howard

RB Demel

LB Baines

CB Yobo

CB Lescott

RDM Jagielka

CAM Fernandes

LDM Carsley

RAM Arteta

LAM Farfan

CF Johnson

Subs:

Wessels

Jimenez

Gosling

Pienaar

Yakubu

Ive set Johnson as a target man and to run onto the ball. Hes scored 11 goals in 17 appearances, helping the team to 6th in the league after 13 games, 4 points behind 1st place.

Anyone got any suggestions how to improve my squad ?

dalekeenan - i think you should look to replace Carsley i know his stats are good (for a DM) but he is getting on a bit try and sign Palombo (sp?) he plays at Sampdoria you can get him for around 10M which is money well spent. also try and loan in a Keeper or sign a keeper because Ruddy & Turner are hopeless (if you havent loaned them out) and Wessels is inconsitent somone like Remy Riou can give good performances 19 Year Old at Auxerre or Cavalieri can be quite cheap.

Hi guys - a quick question for the Everton faithful. I was wondering if you could tell how good Andy Johnson is? I need an English striker for a challenge I'm playing and my options atm are Johnson for about 13M and Ashton for about the same. I have experience with Ashton and know how he plays. But no idea about Johnson. Reason I'm a little undecided is because I would like a fast striker next to a TM (Amauri). And Ashton doesnt fit that bill.

So please - an un-biased opinion of Andy Johnson for 13M would be much appreciated. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just started with Everton on the 8.0.1 patch. Brought in VDV, Farfan, Ignashevich, Dzsudszak, and Breno coming in January. Sold off Neville, Anichebe, McFadden. Squad looks like this:

Howard

Hibbert-Yobo-Lescott-Baines

Jagielka

Arteta Farfan

VDV

Johnson Yakubu

Yakubu has been immense for me already. In 7 matches he has 8 goals. VDV has also been great with 2 goals and 5 assists. Played with Everton online once and Lescott just didn't particularly perform for me, so once Breno comes in, he might be the man leaving, but we'll see how it all goes.

Selling Vic is a bad idea my man. I'd have got Marveux for left wing too, steal at £4m

I hear a lot of good things about Anichebe, I just don't like to play a system with a target man, so he really would never have fit in with me. I actually took a very good look at Marveaux, but decided to splurge on Farfan. He was worth more, but he's been living up to the price so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically I'm looking to improve my defence ten fold. I've just finished my first season with Everton on the new WeeGie update, I came third in the league but conceded 49 goals. I scored like 80 odd, so the attack really isn't a problem but out of my budget I've decided to use £14million on the defence & I'm on the verge of getting £2million for Valente & £5million for Jacobson and Hibbert so lets set the budget at £20million to improve these five defenders.

The defence that lead me to a Carling Cup victory and CL place were;

GK: Howard, Ruddy,

DR: Neville, Nicolas Frey,

DL: Baines, Warnock,

DC: Yobo, Jagielka,

DC: Lescott.

I'm leaking too many goals so I want to improve mainly the fullbacks, to get more solid defensively full backs & a better keeper. Please don't recommend Lloris because he's at Lyon.

I'm looking to take Everton to the next level & actually compete for the league, so can anybody help? Nobody over the age of 27 would help too, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Revenge is sweet. This was in the first season, using the latest Weegie update, and Kimz 8.0.2 v1 tactic.

efc9villarreal1uf7.th.jpg

Finished fifth in the first season, didn't win any cups though.

I'm still using the same tactic in the second season and am top of the EPL half way through December.

I tend to use these players mostly (rotate some of the positions)

GK: Kameni / Howard

RB: Jacobsen / Neville / Hibbert

LB: Baines / Valente

CB: Yobo (scores goals for fun) / Jagielka

CB: Lescott

CM: Fellaini / Castillo

CM: Arteta

AM: Arshavin

AM: Pienaar / Osman

AM: Nihat

CF: Anichebe / Yakubu / Kalou

Did sell Cahill and Vaughan in the second season for £25 million and £12 million respectively. Shame to see Timmy go but £25 million was a good price for a 28 year old and has provided funds for other players. Timmy never seems that great for me in FM2008 anyway.

Bought Arshavin for £6.5 million, and Kameni for around £8 million in season 1

and then Nihat for £13.75m, Kalou for £8 million and Castillo for £500,000 (steal) in the second season.

Archived