Liverpool: A New Era

MFCJack

Henry Announces New Management and Investment

to Accompany Take-Over

Wednesday 7th July

New Liverpool Chairman, John W. Henry, wasted no time in announcing top down changes at Liverpool yesterday morning. In a press conference, held at the current clubs home Anfield, Henry outlined his vision for the club. While Liverpool fans welcomed the announcement of £30 million investment in the playing squad they were surprised by the new management team announced.

Few fans expected recently retired centre back Jack Dennison to be announced manager with immediate effect. The 36 year old former Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest most recently player manager at semi-professional level takes control of first team affairs while Damien Comolli was announced Head of Football Stratergy. "We are building an infrastructure, we're building a team," Henry said before reiterating that his new team had his full long term support "Stability is very important in an organisation. Jack and Damien will have time to construct their squad."

Henry was keen to point out that investment would comply with the new UEFA Fair play rules soon to come in to effect and hinted at home grown investment. "There is a lot of work to be done. We feel we can do a better job bringing in more players that are home grown and we can improve our system. It's a big job to bring in players and analyse the quality of players coming up. We are trying to bolster Jack's operation and Damien is a first step." Comolli previously of Tottenham and Arsenal does not lack experience of English football despite his French origins.

Even though Dennison may have time to assemble a squad Henry made it clear he intended to bring about the success of previous Liverpool citing his baseball side the Boston Red Sox."When we arrived in Boston they hadn't won in more than 80 years. We knew that our job was to win more than one World Series. We know coming in here that since the Premier League was created we haven't won. That's what our charge is, first and foremost."

Dennison will replace Roy Hodgson who didn't take charge of a single game for the club agreed to leave late on Tuesday evening by mutual consent. Hodgson is rumoured to have been unhappy with the introduction of Comolli to oversee transfer dealings and agreed to leave soon after it was made clear that Comolli was joining. Henry was quick to point out that the two would work together as a team when it came to transfer dealings while Dennison would take charge of the first team. "Damien will have very little to do with the first team which we will leave to Jack, but we will encourage co-operation in the transfer market." Both Dennison and Comolli signed contracts lasting until the end of the 2013/14 season.

-----

Note

I'm sure Liverpool will be a popular choice for both story's and regular games but I think we can all agree that they should be interesting. This is very much a long term project that I may dip in and out of but I am committed to it being to the highest possible standard. I have used the editor to add Comolli to Liverpool as a Scout as Directors of Football have little influence and also FMRTE to extend my own contract to 2014. Credit to Owen Gibson of the Guradian, I nicked his JW Henry quotes above.

Please follow me and the story

Twitter

Youtube

Dennison Promises Success with Style

Thursday July 8th 2010

New Liverpool boss Jack Dennison expressed his desire to succeed at Anfield and promised Liverpool goals along the way. The 29 year old appointed on Wednesday will be at the head of the changes at the Merseyside club following the recent take-over by NESV.

"This is a famous club, with many famous player but it has been tough for Liverpool in recent years, and now it's up to us to turn it around". Dennison was a surprise choice with no previous top level management experience but the man who started his career at Crystal Palace was well aware of the work to do to follow Rafa Benitez. "Football is all about pressure. The fans are very expectant but I know that the new Chairman is backing me to bring success to the club. I am willing to repay the faith he has shown in me but I would be lying if I said I wasn't feel the pressure".

Dennison was turned out smartly in what was quite probably a brand new suit but he declared his intention to get his hands dirty. "Liverpool is a very big club, with nearly 50 senior players on our books it would be difficult to involve myself in every single player. My main role is to lead the first team but I will be involved with my staff and spend time looking at all areas of the club." As expected many coaches were retained including long term assistant Sammy Lee but Dennison promised his own new team would emerge. "New coaches? We have a few in the pipeline"

With a number of new signings already on Merseyside, Dennison made it clear he would be following NESV instructions when it came to transfer dealings. "I know the vision that the board has for the club and I share it. We need a strong core of British players mixed with Europe's best. Damien and I have already set out a rigorous scouting strategy so that all deals will be properly researched and thought out." When quizzed on potential target John Carew he was quick to end the rumours. "John Carew? Of Aston Villa? No not us." Simple but effective.

Finally Dennison set out his plans to play attractive football. "Obviously it is important not to concede goals and certain games dictate a certain approach but I can promise The Kop plenty of goals this season" What can we make of Dennison? He's young, self assured and confident. Not since Kenny Dalglish have Liverpool had such a young manager but it seems the early signs are that Dennison will be here for the foreseeable future.

Twitter

Youtube

Torres Injury a Major Concern as Liverpool overcome

Genk

Monday 19th July 2010

Liverpool started their pre-season campaign with an overpowering 1-0 victory over Belgian side AA Genk. Although the victory was over-shadowed by injury to Spanish striker Fernando Torres. Shortly before half time the forward sprained an ankle and will face at least a month on the sidelines. Making him almost certain to play no part in any of Liverpool's UEFA Europa League qualifying games but he has an outside chance of making the Premier Leagues opening fixture away to Blackburn just under a month away.

The game itself was incredibly one sided as Genk sat back and allowed a Liverpool side at full strength to dictate the pace of the game. New signing Jonjo Shelvey produced the only goal of the game. The 18 year old applied to the finish a move that owed much to Ryan Babel's incisive run down the left flank before he cut the ball back to goalscorer Shelvey.

The highlight of Liverpool's trip to Belgium was not the game but the capture of highly rated striker Romelu Lukaku from Anderlecht. The 17 year old striker is admired across Europe for his power and goalscoring having netted 15 times last season for Anderlecht. With injury to Torres Lukaku may find himself in the starting XI sooner than first thought. Liverpool have 2 more friendlies before their Europa League 3rd Round Qualifier against Banksa Bystrica of Slovakia or Kazakh side Tobyl who trail by 3 goals following the 2nd Round 1st Leg game.

Twitter

Youtube

Injury Crisis looms over Anfield

Wednesday July 21st 2010

Despite another comfortable win Liverpool face a possible striker injury crisis. As they overcame Crusaders FC of Northern Ireland, 3-1, they lost a second striker to injury. David N'Gog was carried off after just 35 minutes with concussion. Liverpool hope that by resting him for this Saturday's friendly against RFC Tournai he will be fit to start when their Europa League campaign kicks off.

N'Gog's injury did carry a silver lining in the form of debutant Romelu Lukaku who put in a Man of the Match performance scoring his sides 2nd and assisting the 3rd. Liverpool had taken an early lead through Maxi Rodriguez who rounded opposition keeper Ryan Young before applying a cool finish. Despite conceding a goal shortly before the break many agreed that the finish was applied from an offside position by Mark Hassan.

Lukaku grabbed his goal in the most unsightly of ways. After Steven Gerrard had failed to apply the finish to a low Jovanovic cross Lukaku was on hand to scramble the ball over the line. With his assist Lukaku showed his talent for direct running as he powered down the right wing before laying on a tap in for Ryan Babel. If N'Gog does fail to make next weeks Europa League fixture Lukaku may have a chance to prove his worth earlier than expected.

Twitter

Youtube

Liverpool vs Banksa Bystrica

UEFA Europa League 3rd Round Qualifying 1st Leg

Thursday 29th July 2010 at Anfield, Liverpool.

Match Preview

Liverpool head in to the game massive favourites at odds of 1-6 against Slovakian side Bystrica who defeated Tobyl to reach this stage. It will be new Liverpool manager Jack Dennison's first competitive game in charge of the Reds. Having been in the job for just a few weeks the biggest challenge for Dennison will be the selection of a striker to lead the line. Fernando Torres is out with ankle sprain while David N'Gog was concussed less than a week ago. Injuries mean it is likely that new signing Romelu Lukaku will make his début up front. The striker is one of 5 teenage signings by Dennison but the only in the match squad.

Jonjo Shelvey also starts ahead of Steven Gerrard while Jamie Carragher take the captains armband. Liverpool will line up in a 4231 that prove so popular in the recent World Cup. The unknown Bystrica are expected to use the standard 442 and sit back and hit the favourites on the break. With an upset unlikely Liverpool are expected to steam roll their opposition.

Babel Brace Eases Reds to Victory

Liverpool weren't required to get out of 2nd gear as the cruised to a 3-0 victory over Europa League minnows Banska Bystrica. Ryan Babel struck twice and a late Joe Cole stunner left Liverpool in control of the tie ahead of next weeks 2nd leg. Banska failed to attempt a shot on goal while Liverpool were simply allowed to keep possession in their opponents half.

Man of the Match Babel struck first on 23 minutes, just 2 minutes after having a goal disallowed for offside following up a Christian Poulsen shot that struck the bar. Lucas split the Banska defence and left Babel all alone to slot past the goalkeeper. Lucas was again on hand to supply Babel's second shortly before half time once again giving Babel plenty of time in the penalty area to apply the finish. Half-time saw a change in pace as Liverpool slowed the game before confirming victory 2 minutes from time. As play broke down from Liverpool's 15th and final corner substitute captain Steven Gerrard lay the ball off for Joe Cole who riffled his shot in from outside the penalty area. Liverpool can almost certainly confirm themselves in the next round after a confident display despite having only played half the tie.

Line Up: J Reina, G Johnson, F Aurelio, J Carragher, D Agger, Lucas (R Meireles 61), C Poulsen, J Shelvey (S Gerrard 61), M Rodriguez, R Babel, R Lukaku (J Cole 45).

Goals: Ryan Babel (24,38), Joe Cole (89)

Man of the Match: Ryan Babel 8.8 (2 goals)

Banska Bystrica vs Liverpool

UEFA Europa League 3rd Round Qualifying nd Leg

Thursday 5th August 2010 at SNP na Stiavnickach.

Match Preview

Liverpool are widely expected to advance to the next stage with ease. David N'Gog is fit and returns to Liverpool's starting line-up along with Steven Gerrard. Gerrard, a substitute in the first leg, is understood to have turned down the opportunity to rest and insisted on starting. Jamie Carragher drops to the bench for Martin Skertl and returns the captains armband to Seven Gerrard. New £6.5 million signing Ibrahim Afellay is unavailable as he is unregistered. The only other change sees Fabio Aurelio replaced with Danny Wilson.

Liverpool Through with Narrow Victory

Liverpool confirmed their progress in the Europa League courtesy of a 1-0 victory away in Slovakia. The only goal of the game came thanks to Liverpool's Slovakian centre back Martin Skretl. It was in the 41st minute that his header from a Gerrard corner put Liverpool ahead. Despite their control Liverpool created worryingly few chances. Rarely did they penetrate the Banska box but ultimately they only needed 1 goal to tie up the the second leg.

Line up: J Reina, G Johnson, D Wilson, M Skrtel, D Agger, Lucas, C Poulsen, S Gerrard (R Meireles 71),J Cole (Jovanovic 45), R Babel, D N'Gog (R Lukaku 71).

Goals: M Skrtel 41

Man of the Match: M Skrtel 7.8

Archived