My Life In Yours (Sign-Up Story)

Gennaro08

The opening 11 minutes of his management career had been far from idyllic but stretch that to 17 minutes and it was far from dull. But then football is rarely a dull sport or environment to work in. Working with and alongside egotistical, self-proclaiming, overpaid tykes is rarely dull.

Rewind seven days and Stefano Melisi had just been appointed manager of San Potito of Serie C2/C in Italy. In the summer Chairman Giuseppe Maglione had fired the then manager Alberto Novelli for not winning promotion from Serie D but football as they say, is a funny old game. Melfi had suffered at the hands of the heavy-handed FIGC (Italian FA), as Venezia, Fiorentina, Juventus and Genoa had done before and were relegated, Melfi's crime was financial irregularities and as such San Potito were promoted from Serie D to take their place.

Stefano was presented to the media in early August of 2005, a rather small gathering of local radio, TV and newspaper sports journalists covering the next stage of life at the Sant'Abruzzesse, a stadium holding 9,300 (9,000 seating) and "fairly basic facilities" for a professional outfit.

"Giuseppe, Giuseppe," the media cried.

"Yes, Giorgio," the chairman responded pointing to the local sports radio journalist with his microphone thrusting forward.

"Now you've been promoted do you regret sacking the experienced Alberto Novelli?"

"Honestly, no, we had agreed and set out our objectives and he failed to meet them, we are delighted to appoint Stefano Melisi, who has been working here as a coach on a casual basis with us for one-and-a-half seasons and the club feels he is the man to take us on to the next level."

"What are your objectives now then?"

"To maintain our status in Serie C2/C and steer clear of Serie D, we have been given an opportunity and we don't want to and won't pass it up."

"So Stefano, what brought you to San Potito and what experience do you have?"

"Isn't that for you to research...as journalists?"

The room fell deafly silent.

"I took up coaching in the summer of 2000 after I retired due to a series of niggling injuries at Rushden & Diamonds. I coached there for two years before spending a season abroad in Italy at Perugia and Udinese, Holland with AZ Alkmaar and France with AS Nancy learning and gaining new coaching techniques and methods. I then returned to Rushden & Diamonds as a coach. In January of 2004 I moved over to Italy, here in San Potito with my son, Gennaro, so I could be close to my mum and dad. My dad was seriously ill and I approached San Potito and volunteered my services as a coach on a casual basis around being with my dad. Gennaro trained with the youth team. A few months back my father sadly passed away here in this town, the town he was born and raised in so when the manager's post became available I applied and was offered the chance to manager the football team my dad supported as a boy, I accepted and dedicated it to him."

With his speech over Stefano left the room.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Background

This is a reposting/unlocking of my old story, which I have recently got back into and have more story beyond what's been currently posted.

As the title suggests, it's a sign-up story so features the following players (posters) - position - nationality - age:

Scottinho (ScottyDavis) - AM/F C - Portugese - 17yo

Conrad Rowden (KakaKaka) - AM/F RC - Norwegian - 17yo

Smithaldo (Smithaldo) - AM R - English - 17yo

Borge Eian (AndreTheShadow) - AM RC - Norwgian/American - 19yo

Tobes (Tobie Chapman) - AM/F C - Australian - 18yo

Rod Davies (Brian of Nazareth) - D/AM L - French - 20yo

HD (HD) - AM/F C - Sint Maarten - 15yo

Gennaro Melisi (as myself) - DM C - Italian - 18yo

Terkaldinho (Terk) - D LC - Scottish/English - 22yo

Hick (EducatedHick) - GK - American/Northern Irish - 24yo

Pan Panpardus (Panpardus) - DM LC - South African - 20yo

Diego Della Rosa (Haze 13) - AM/F LC - Italian/Argentinian - 21yo

Mikkel Kristensen (Michelangelo) - SW/D C - Danish - 18yo

Leo Allen (Leo30) - S C - English - 30yo

James Bradbury (AnalogBoy) - D/DM RC - Welsh - 19yo

Luna (Moonshine) - D/M RL - Nigerian - 18yo

Harleqin (Harleqin) - D/WB R - Danish - 20yo

Jude Alderson (ChesterFan2) - WB/AM L - English/Irish - 17yo

Sam Cox (-Xenon-) - AM/F C - English/Irish - 16yo

Dave Solomon (Flipsix3) - DM RC - English - 15yo

Steve al-Jazeera (Qolumbo) - D/WB/DM RL - Kuwait/English - 19yo

Ty (Rarebit Nutter) - D/DM C - English - 18yo

Willy (Mark Wilson 27) - AM C - English/Irish - 26yo

Stefano knew the players and staff at San Potito, so no introductions were necessary, so he wasted no time in contacting all Serie A and top Serie B sides to inquiry about which players were available for loan, compiled the list and called Massimo Costantini to his office. Massimo was a scout at the club, in fact, [i[he was the only scout[/i] at the club.

"Massimo, here is a list of players available for loan that I want you to go and check out - reserve and youth team friendlies and training. Make a report on every player and call me with the details the following morning. We are going to need some good loan signings if we are to survive this season. If you can get information about any unattached players, maybe that were released over the summer by clubs then fantastic, Chairman says money is tight."

'Money is tight' was a bit of understatement, Stefano had always been good with his own personal finances, savings accounts and all but balancing the books at San Potito and ensuring it ran like a successful business as well as a successful football club was going to be difficult. The wage bill needed trimming, the squad was young with not many high earners, plus most of the squad only had contracts for the season until 2006 and they would need to be renegotiated, possibly raising the wage bill further. Also, due to the unexpected promotion, players were not up to the standard of Serie C2 and they would need to be rehoused.

Next in the office was Nino Trentadue, the only coach on the books.

"Nino, I've put out adverts for an Assistant Manager, Coaches and Scouts to lighten the workload on you, we've got over 30 players at the club and that is too much for just us."

"Ok boss, sounds good."

"Nino, it's Stefano not boss if you please?"

"Ok, I would like to apply for the Assistant's post."

"That's fine by me...I'd be happy to have you as my Assistant, speak to the Club Secretary and hopefully we can get a new coach or two in."

"So I got the job?"

"Steady on, not yet, if Marcello Lippi or Fabio Capello applies I might have to reconsider but if and when we get a coach or two in, we can promote you, you can be the Interim-Unofficial-Assistant Manager if you like?"

"Sure thing bos...Stefano."

"I will try and assist as much with training as possible but I got a lot of things to do in the office pre-season, so don't be offended if I'm not out there much."

The last men in were Salvatore Valvano and Fabio Grieco, the two physios.

"Morning gentlemen."

"Morning."

"With Nino as the only coach, I will be looking for one of you to assist with the fitness side of training if that's ok with you, time depending of course."

"Yeah one of us should be able to assist most of the time."

"I'm hoping you don't have too many guys in their (physio room) this season."

"Guys? Most of them are boys gaffer."

Salvatore was right, the San Potito squad was young, very little experience but Stefano trusted youth and the almost fearless attitude they brought.

His phone rang interjecting his thoughts.

"Boss, I've had Parma, Siena, Palermo and Lazio on the phone this morning."

"Congratulatory muffin baskets," he joked.

"Francesco Cosenza and yes you've had three so far," replied Alessandria the Club Secretary who carried out far too many duties on her own.

"Go on..."

"The follow-on faxes say they are offering £44.5k for co-ownership of him."

"Reply to all with £120k, two-years and he stays with us."

"Will do gaffer."

"Please call me..."

Alessandria had already hung-up before he could finish his sentence. Stefano was playing hardball, the club could not afford to turn down good offers but frankly these were not good offers to him for a young promising centre-half.

The opening 11 minutes to his management career had been far from idyllic but stretch that to 17 minutes and it was far from dull. But then football is rarely a dull sport or environment to work in. Working with and alongside egotistical, self-proclaiming, overpaid tykes is rarely dull.

2-0 down away to non-league Faenza was not the start he had in mind. As he scratched his head, he looked to the heavens and said, "Sorry dad." Paolo loved San Potito and always watched their home games, in the ten years he spent in England, not being able to watch I Leoni (The Lions) was the hardest part, not the poor weather that rained when the sun should have shined and vice versa or the cardboard food...hold the phone, on-loan striker Piero Balistreri pulled one back and what a good finish it was, more Palermo in Serie A, from where he was on loan from, than San Potito in Serie C2/C. San Potitio controlled the rest of the first half and the Palermo man did it again just before half-time. The second half was awash with substitutions from both teams and there was no rhythm or flow to the game. Self-respect just about restored with a 2-2 away draw.

The newspapers weren't too harsh but cited the interest in Francesco Cosenza as the reason as the reason he played so poorly and were obviously impressed with Piero Balistreri. They also ran reports that Stefano would make his son, Gennaro, a promising Italian centre midfielder his first signing. He read on and saw that Sporting Lisbon had signed the left-sided Frenchman Rod Davies on a free and that American goalkeeper Bryan Alkire, more commonly known as Hick had signed for second-tier Swiss side AC Luagano.

* Author's Note - Lugano unfortunately remained genetically-modified from a previous game and as such are a bit good.

Cheers Guys!

Pan Panpardus is in there and I'm sure his agent is working hard.

----------

"What do you think, Modena?"

"Regular Serie B outfit, probably more chance of games than at Chievo or Siena to be honest but it's your choice. There is always San Potito," Stefano quipped.

They both laughed.

"Modena at least play in yellow if that's any consolation." (as do San Potito - yellow and green)

"You will play for Italy one day son, but you've got a lot to learn first and have to earn it, put in the effort and you will be rewarded."

"Cheers dad."

Stefano had always said managers should never sign their son's, it isn't good for team atmosphere and unity and the other players are always suspicious of favouritism but of course he would love to have a player of his quality and undoubtable potential at San Potito.

Anyway, Stefano had bigger issuses to contend with as Serie A side Cagliari were in town and he had not made any signings, so it was the same XI that took to the field against Faenza, that started against Cagliari, the XI he considered his strongest at present. It was hardly surprising that San Potito were overwhelmed by the visitors who fielded a very strong side and swept into a two-goal lead, but this time there was no shame in that. At half-time Stefano told his players to enjoy the challenge and again the second half was full of substitutions by both teams, which suited the home side as it was disjointed but the Sicilian's scored a third in front of a 9,233 strong crowd, just shy of capacity.

Turning to the newspapers the following morning over an espresso at his desk, confirmed that Italian midfielder Gennaro Melisi had signed for Serie B side Modena. Also Scottish/English defender Simon Furnivall, more commonly known as Terkaldinho had signed for English Premiership side Aston Villa, rejecting the offers of Newcastle United and Portsmouth.

Stefano had been busy this week, defender Cosenza, midfielders Gianmarco Rodi and Martino Gravante and striker Vinicio Paris had all signed new contracts with the Club. Whilst leaving San Potito were three of the top-earners, 30-year-old attacking-midfielder Nathan Schiavon to non-league Sorrento in a deal worth £24k, 24-year-old midfielder Diego Russo to C2/A side Lecco in a £12k deal and 30-year-old forward Federico Lauria to fellow C2/C side Nocerina for £26k. The wage bill had been brought in line with requirements to run financially sound for the forthcoming season.

"Signore Melisi," he heard looking up.

"Chairman Maglione," he replied.

"The Cagliari game the other day was worth a few bob and with the three departures finalised, we're looking healthy...financially at present."

"Thank you."

"But how are we looking player-wise, with those three gone?"

"They weren't worth the wage we were paying them, Schiavon and Lauria weren't hungry for the fight and Russo simply wasn't good enough, we've got much younger players of equal quality."

"I want to stay in Serie C Melisi so don't be afraid to use a little cash on new faces to achieve this."

"I'm trying, really I am, but the loan players we've approached just don't want to play in this division, so I'm now looking beyond the likes of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus and AS Roma."

"I've heard good things about Diego Della Rosa, you know him?"

"Yeah but the papers say he's off to Palermo or Marseille, we can't quite compete with the likes of them...yet."

"Yet...I like it Melisi." The Chairman gave Stefano a slap on the back and made his exit.

Italian/Argentinean left-winger cum forward Diego Della Rosa had signed for Lille instead of Mallorca, Marseille or Palermo and Nigerian Ali Lune Weah, Luna to his friends, headed for Brazilian side Juventude.

Stefano entered his office and a stack of faxes awaited his arrival. The first set concerned Francesco Consenza again and co-ownership deals, Chievo, Fiorentina and Treviso the interested parties offering up to £65k now. He scribbled £120k in a circle in red pen and and took them to Alessandria, who was working on reception.

"Are you the Receptionist as well?"

"I'm whatever you want me to be," she replied.

"Um...ah...."

"That came out all wrong."

"Can you prepare and send some faxes back for me please, juse these three."

"Yeah sure, you've got another load here," pointing to the dozens of rejection faxes for loan signings.

In amongst the multitude of rejections though, were some positive referrals, three Lazio youngsters had agreed to sign on season-long loans. Left-midfielder Andrea Langiotti, Stefano Pandolfi who looked an all-round better player than Piero Balistreri but the two would in all likelihood compete for the one striking spot in the 451 formation Stefano had adopted in the first two games. He had been around football, especially Italian football, long enough to know that you build from a solid base and would look to spring forward when in possession to a 4231 with the full-backs pushing on. The third lazio loanee was arguably the most important full-back Lorenzo De Silvestri, as Danilo Massaro the only other right-back option had looked out of his depth in the first-team but at 18-years-old could progress with a strong couple of seasons in the Under 20's. The fourth signing came from Leece, right-winger Alessio Carteni, again on a season-long loan. Stefano was happy with the four captures but was still after a strong centre-midfielder or two and a centre-back to challenge Cosenza and Luigi Cuomo for a starting shirt.

HD, I will check when I get home whether there are any clubs interested in signing or contracts offered but I'm thinking that there isn't and hasn't, due to your nationality of Sint Maarten and current ability, since it is lowered due to your tender age of 14.

I will check and work it nicely into my next piece for you but maybe Stefano Melisi and San Potito might have to save you from obscurity, as if you'd want to sign though.

I'm hoping that everyone will get signed (and soon) but I think if players remain unattached for a whole year then they are removed from the game.

Smithaldo, unfortunately at present I think it is jumpers or plastic bags left by the tramps that frequent the park for goalposts for yourself and many others.

I am only a couple of weeks into the game and slowly people are being signed up. I will post a more detailed newspaper round up next time detailing who people are being linked with, if any.

Stefano sat as his desk pouring over the responses for the adverts that had been placed for an Assistant Manager, Coaches and Scouts. He was impressed with what he saw, people already in employment at clubs of equal or greater standing willing to come to San Potito. However, when he looked at their current contract details and worked out the compensation they would have to pay to clubs, he quickly got disheartened, ranging from £15k to £75k. There was not a single application from an unemployed or someone at a smaller club on a low wage and contract length amongst them, so he informed the papers and websites that he wished the advert to continue a little while longer.

Armed with his four new captures, Stefano Melisi took his squad up north to non-league outfit Centese and was pleased with what he saw. Stefano Pandolfi grabbing a hat-trick inside 25 minutes and an own-goal just after the restart ensured a comfortable 4-0 victory, his first San Potitio win.

The local newspapers were full of praise for Pandolfi and for Stefano for securing his signature for the season but in truth they failed to congratulate the most important man, scout Massimo Costantini for his report and recommendation to sign him.

Further in, in the European section of the paper and Portugese playmaker Scott Davis or Scottinho had signed for Porto. Reggina, Nantes and again Marseille the beaten clubs to his signature. Marseille having now missed out on two attacking players, finally bagged one, in the shape of Norwegian Conrad Rowden. Deals were said to be close for Jude Alderson, Pan Parpardus, Harleqin, Tobes and Ty. Aston Villa and Fulham were interested in Leo Allen.

Serie C1/B side Chieti came to town and Stefano threw new loan signing Nicola Caldarola of Bari straight into the centre of midfield just days after arriving on a season-long loan.

The team from the Abruzzo region took the lead after eight minutes and then San Potito were reduced to ten men when Francesco Cosenza was sent off for a professional foul on 20 minutes. Chieti doubled their lead just before half-time. Caldarola pulled one back in the second half but that's where the spirited fightback ended with San Potito falling to their second home defeat in pre-season.

Stefano buried his head in the newspapers the following morning to read that South African midfielder Pan Parpardus had signed for Brazilian side Gremio, rejecting Dutch side Willem II. English Premiership club Aston Villa had signed 30-year-old English striker Leo Allen. There was disappointing news for Australian Tobes (Tobie Chapman) whose move to Marseille fell through as they already had 4 non-EU players in their squad. Premiership south-coast side Portsmouth had signed three players in as many days, starting off with English central defender or holding midfielder Ty, followed up by an English/Irish left-sided player named Jude Alderson and finally Danish right-sided player Harleqin.

Stefano's first competitive fixture as manager was fast approaching, away in the Serie C Cup, against one time Serie A side Foggia, who now lie in Serie C1/B. The second round of applicants for backroom staff positions, again although of good quality, were all under contract presently and he turned to UEFA. They held a database of out of work staff looking for work and made some approaches, stopping the other adverts.

The paperwork was coming in thick and fast, as soon as he had faxed over a loan approach, Fiorentina, Siena and Chievo all came back looking to co-own defender Cosenza, who in truth he thought hadn't had the best of pre-seasons. The offers were all for only £65k.

He flicked open the pages of the local newspaper, which he read daily, in as much to enhance his Italian as to kept abreast of the latest news and also the Corrielle della Sport. Bari had signed young Danish centre-back Mikkel Kristensen, whilst Harry Redknapp and Portsmouth were at it again, a fourth free transfer signing in the shape of English right-winger Smithaldo.

Cheers for the comments guys. icon_smile.gif

Smithaldo, possibly but due to the limited resources, it would take up the valuable time of my scouts as I look for players. I will hopefully be able to do it and when I next post screenshots, which will probably be around December/January time to be worthwhile and see any great improvements in the stats, but unfortunately for now the stats are very limited I admit.

The UEFA phone call had worked a treat for Stefano as three new members joined the staff, Belgium scout Ubrain Haesaert, who was then subsequently sent to Belgium to unearth some talent, whilst Italian Tiziano Cunico signed as Assistant Manager. The biggest coup though was landing Swiss goalkeeper Jorg Stiel as a player/coach, but only one season on the playing side as he plans to retire at the end of the season, but Stefano already had eyes on having a few quiet words in his ear during the season about changing that fact. The Swiss goalkeeper who would go straight in as number 1 didn't come cheap however.

The trip east to the region of Puglia and the capital Foggia ended with mixed feelings. Stefano was pleased to have not be oveawed, giving away limited chances but created very little themselves, in fact not registering a shot on target, but away to higher opposition that was partly to be expected. New goalkeeper, coach and captain Jorg Stiel was beaten midway through the first half at his near post, with that being the only and winning goal.

Stefano read the local newspaper, which reserved judgement on him and his 451 formation but were impressed with the signing of Stiel. He read on to find out that Tobes (Tobie Chapman) had completed a move to Belgium this time and Royal Antwerp, whilst Espanyol had made a loan bid for Gremio's Pan Panpardus.

Can't wait for that first Lille vs Marseille match in the frenchie ligue 1!

Diego Della Rosa vs Conrad Rowden. I'll back my lad in though.

Interestingly I found this snippet from the La Voix du Nord regarding young Della Rosa just the other day. Thought some people here might be interested in it. Oh and I even translated it for you...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> La Voix du Nord

Has LOSC Signed the Son of the God?

(Well the son of the 'Hand of God' at least)

When twenty-one year old Italian winger Diego Della Rosa signed for Le Dogues earlier this week many around footballing circles in France knew nothing about this undoubtedly talented youngster. Reports that Diego is possibly another illegitimate child of that most famous of Diego's - the great Argentinian Maradona - have yet to be dismissed.

Born on the island of Capri off Italy's west coast Della Rosa only talks of his mother and the great hardship she has gone through bringing him up as a single mother. Moments were rare at the press conference but when the inevitable question was asked young Diego answered positively but doing nothing to discredit the question.

In response to the speculation Della Rosa stated, "I plan to make my name as a footballer here in Lille. My past is simple, however my lineage is not so clear. All I know is that I have a loving mother and that on my birth certificate it states that I was born in Italy to an Italian mother and an Argentinian father. Read into that what you will. Regardless of all this I view speculation as just that and I plan to let my feet do the talking once I can get on the pitch. Viva le dogues!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately for you Haze.13 and KakaKaka the first Lille vs Marseille clash has already taken place, it was the first league game of the season. Della Rosa played but it was before Rowden signed for Marseille, the match ended 2-2.

"Congratulations, did you play well?" Stefano asked with his mobile to his ear.

---

"[i[Doesn't matter, once the league season starts with Modena you can show them what you can really do.[/i]"

---

"Sorry again I couldn't get over to Ireland for the game."

---

"Yeah, speak to you later son."

Stefano hung up the phone and was pleased that Gennaro had earnt his first Italian cap, be it at Under-19 level but a cap all the same and that they had won 2-0.

Author's Note: Sometimes I am, like now, going to have to break out of story mode and just post a summary as it is difficult to work in an allegance to twenty odd players of varying age and nationality.

First International Games

Scottinho of Porto, capped at U21 level for Portugal as attacking midfielder. £1.7m (17 AM/F C)

Conrad Rowden of Marseille, Norway yet to play. 2 League appearances. £2.7m (17 AM R, Str)

Smithaldo of Portsmouth. English. £1m (17 AM R)

Borge Eian - unattached with no present interest, Norway yet to play. (19 AM RC)

Tobes of Antwerp, Australia yet to play. 1 League appearance. £80k (18 AM/F C)

Rod Davies of Sporting, in the French U21 squad but not in the playing 20. One sub appearance in the UEFA Champions League. £2m (20 D/WB/AM L)

HD - unattached with no interest at present. Sint Maarten yet to play. (14 AM/F C)

Gennaro Melisi of Modena, capped at U19 level for Italy. £2.2m (18 DM)

Terkaldinho of Aston Villa, capped at full Scottish level at left-back in 1-1 away friendly draw to Austria. 1 League appearance. £1.8m (22 D LC)

Hick of Lugano, capped at full Northern Ireland level in 3-1 away friendly win over Malta. 1 League appearance. £1.4m (24 GK)

Pan Panpardus of Gremio, twice capped at full South African level at left-midfield in friendlies, 1-0 at home to Zambia and a 3-1 away defeat to Iceland. £1.2m (20 DM, M LC)

Diego Della Rosa of Lille, capped at Italian U21 level from the bench at half-time in 2-1 away defeat to Ireland. 3 League appearances. £2.6m (21 AM LC, Forward)

Mikkel Kristensen of Bari. Danish. £975k (18 Sw, D C)

Leo Allen of Aston Villa. English with 1 League appearance partnering and assisting Milan Baros for his goal in the 2-1 home defeat to Charlton. £4m (30 Striker)

James Bradbury - unattached with no interest at present. Welsh (19 D R, DM)

Luna of Juventude, sat on the bench in Nigeria's 2-1 away friendly win over Libya at full International level. 1 League appearance. £550k (18 D/WB/M RL)

Harleqin of Portsmouth, made the full Danish International squad but not the playing 20. 1 League appearance at left-back in 2-1 away defeat to the mighty Spurs, subbed after 43 minutes. £2.1m (20 D/WB R)

Jude Alderson of Portsmouth. English/Irish with 1 League appearance at left-midfield, injured after 43 minutes but not serious. Sat on the bench for the full Irish side's 0-0 home draw with Italy. £1.8m (17 WB/AM L)

Sam Cox - unattached at present with no interest. English/Irish (16 AM/F C)

Dave Solomon - unattached with no interest at present. English (15 DM, M RC)

Steve al-Jazeera - unattached at present with no interest. Kuwait/English (20 D/WB RL, DM)

Ty of Portsmouth. Capped at England U19 level in centre midfield. 1 Leauge appearance off the bench after 43 minutes. £1.3m (D C, DM)

Willy - unattached with no interest at present. English/Irish (26 AM C)

If there are no comments against the players' name then it is because they have not played, be it internationally or at club level.

"Tiziano, come in," Stefano said to his hovering Assistant Manager, "Please sit, what can I do for you?"

"It's regarding Jorg Stiel," Tiziano replied.

"Yes, go on..."

"He has been in rather buoyant mood of late, especially in training."

"Well that's good news, right."

"Yes, yes it is."

"Oh, you worried me for a moment there, any reason why?"

"Well I spoke to a few of the players', you know the goalies he spends most of his time with and they say, it's down to the comments you made to the media regarding his debut performance the other day."

"Well I didn't lie, I was happy with his performance and once he settles and adapts to our style and the team in front of him he will get better and I think will be vital to us this season. His experience and know-how and the great ability that he possesses. He needs games to get to full fitness, so he's gonna start the friendly against Grossteo in a couple of days time. Want him in shape and fit and ready for the remainder of the Cup games, three qualify from each group of five, got to win our home games to give us a chance."

Stefano took his players north to the Tuscan region to Grosseto, situated on the west coast of Italy. The Serie C1/B side showed their qualities against a fringe San Potito's side and dominated for large parts and took the lead midway through the first half after some poor marking. Francesco Colantoni thought he had had equalised for San Potito with ten minutes left but it was ruled out for offside. Stefano was again pleased at not giving away too many chances with a changed side against higher opposition but also looked upon the fact that they didn't really create anything again away from home.

He flicked through the newspapers in now customary fashion in his office, but the talk was now starting to edge towards matches as opposed to transfer rumours, although Gremio had rejected Espanyol's loan offer for now South African International Pan Panpardus.

Terk and Allen so not good enough for the Villa icon_mad.gif

Nice to see I'm sunning it in Portugal at the most oft abused pub quiz team nameicon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Willy - unattached with no interest at present. English/Irish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

full name John Bobbit?

oh and er good luck in Serie C, can be a right arse at times. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

Terk and Allen so not good enough for the Villa icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pfft, I'm clearly good enough for your bunch of mid-table lumpers. Should be honoured to have a Scottish international at the club icon_razz.gif

The visit of Serie C1/A side Giulianova in the second of four Serie C Cup games, not only saw 2,556 in the crowd but one Stefano Farina as referee and a delighted Stefano Melisi at the end of the game despite the scoreline not reflecting the game he couldn't help but think. Left winger Martino Gravante opened the scoring early on and Piero Balistreri made the second half his own by claiming a hat-trick and MOM in a 4-0 win.

"Signore Melisi."

"Chairman Maglione."

"Fantastic result today," Giuseppe Maglione said as he strode into Stefano's office and took a seat, without being asked.

He is the Chairman though, Stefano thought to himself.

"Players acquitted themselves well and worked the ball around nicely, except for those dodgy backpasses in the first half, good to see none of them in the second. We can't let this victory count for nothing, build on it and take some it into the league game next, cos that's the important one this season, cup games are a distraction."

"Will certainly try to Mr.Chairman."

Stefano added another new face to the squad with the loan signing of experienced U21 Swiss international midfielder Rijat Shala from Salernitana for the season. In addition several other players were signed to contracts beyond the summer, including just turned 17-year-old striker Antonio Rubio to a pro-contract.

A flick through the papers, Stefano read the reports from the UEFA Champions League Third Qualifying Phase Second Leg and the Finals of the Intertoto Cup. Rod Davies sat on the bench for Sporting, whilst it was a bitter-sweet day for Conrad Rowden starting up front for Marseille as they lost 2-1 to HSV of German but Rowden scored his first goal for the club.

Congratulations to Conrad Rowden for scoring the first competitive goal of any player. Leo Allen was the first to claim an assist for Aston Villa.

The Chairman's words didn't so much as go out the window as broke the window and fly out of the town of San Potito Sannitico as San Potito took the short trip to Calabria to play Rende and put in a decent performance but were blown away by the finishing of Bruno Trocini and an expert free-kick from Mario Alfieri, losing 3-0 in their opening league fixture of the season.

If it was a response Stefano was looking for, it was exactly that, which he got away to Serie C2/C side Pro Vasto from the province of Chieti in the Abbruzzo region. Within 12 minutes Stefano Pandolfi and Martino Gravante had put them two up and they were cruising. Pro Vasto pulled on back before half-time and scored shortly after to equalise and the game fell away to a disappointing draw for San Potito, throwing away a two-goal lead.

The first game of September was the last of the group stages of the Serie C Cup. San Potito entertaining Serie C1/B side Chieti in front of 1,024 knew that a win would put them through to the next stage. The first half was even and Fabio Di Vito gave the vistors the lead just before half-time slotting past Ermanno Fumagalli making his first competitive appearance of the season in goal in place of Jorg Stiel who had been called up for the Swiss National side. Stefano changed this around, switching to a conventional 442 with Stefano Pandolfi and Piero Balistreri partnered together and it paid dividends as Pandolfi scored twice in five minutes to put San Potito ahead and when Balistreri was felled in the penalty area with 12 minutes left, resulting in a dismissal for Alessandro Battisti, it was left to 19-year-old centre-half Francesco Cosenza - who earlier had been a transfer target for Fiorentina, with a late bid on transfer deadline deal for a co-ownership deal, which was rejected - to seal the match from the penalty spot. This he did with a cool head and composure. San Potito were very good value for their win and claimed second spot in Group G to progress.

During this period two round of World Cup Qualifiers were played, which will be reported on later, with player Round-Ups.

Cheers for the responses guys. icon_smile.gif

And so close KakaKaka, so close.

Scottinho of Porto, dropped for the U21 games altogether and yet to play a League game. £825k (17 AM/F C)

Conrad Rowden of Marseille, was called up to the full Norway squad but did not make the playing 18. 2 League appearances and 1 Intertoto and scored. £2.8m (17 AM R, Str)

Smithaldo of Portsmouth. English. Currently playing for Portsmouth U18's. £1m (17 AM R)

Borge Eian - unattached with no present interest. Norwegian (19 AM RC)

Tobes of Antwerp, sat on the bench for the full Australian National team. 3 League appearances to date. £85k (18 AM/F C)

Rod Davies of Sporting, dropped for the U21's altogether. His one sub appearance in the UEFA Champions League has been followed up by two games starting in the League. £2m (20 D/WB/AM L)

HD - unattached with no interest at present. Sint Maarten yet to play. (14 AM/F C)

Gennaro Melisi of Modena. Two twice for the first team and scored once from the bench. £2.2m (18 DM)

Terkaldinho of Aston Villa, dropped from the Scottish national side, replaced by Hearts' Lee Wallace at left-back. 3 League appearances to date, switching to left-back. £1.9m (22 D LC)

Hick of Lugano. 3 Northern Ireland caps, conceding 5 goals, including a 3-1 home defeat to England, John Terry and Chris Sutton (2) the goalscorers. 4 League appearances, conceding 3. £1.6m (24 GK)

Pan Panpardus of Gremio, capped 4 times by South Africa, moving to centre midfield. 2 League appearances. £1.2m (20 DM, M LC)

Diego Della Rosa of Lille, capped three times at Italian U21 level, scoring once, in the 2-2 away draw to Scotland. 6 League appearances as a striker but no goals or assists. £2.5m (21 AM LC, Forward)

Mikkel Kristensen of Bari. Called up to the Danish full-squad but did not make the playing 18. 1 League appearance. £600k (19 Sw, D C) Happy Birthday!!

Leo Allen of Aston Villa. English with 2 League appearances but currently out injured with a fractured arm, leaving Villa bottom. £3.9m (30 Striker)

James Bradbury - unattached with no interest at present. Welsh (19 D R, DM)

Luna of Juventude, in the full International squad but yet to feature. 3 League appearances. £575k (18 D/WB/M RL)

Harleqin of Portsmouth, dropped down to the U21 squad and capped twice. 4 League appearances at right-back. £2.1m (20 D/WB R)

Jude Alderson of Portsmouth. Capped once at Ireland U21 level, English/Irish. 2 League appearances for the 13th place south-coast club. £1.8m (17 WB/AM L)

Sam Cox - unattached at present with no interest. English/Irish (16 AM/F C)

Dave Solomon - unattached with no interest at present. English (15 DM, M RC)

Steve al-Jazeera - unattached at present with no interest. Kuwait/English (20 D/WB RL, DM)

Ty of Portsmouth. 2 sub Leauge appearances, his second off the bench at half-time in the 4-0 home win over Fulham. £1.3m (D C, DM)

Willy - unattached with no interest at present. English/Irish (26 AM C)

Modena 1-0 Bari - (08/09/05)

Melisi (6) started centre midfield for Modena but Kristensen was on International Duty.

Aston Villa v Portsmouth - (17/09/05) - 9 days time.

Allen expected to miss the game through injury, out for between two weeks and a month.

I will try for monthly player updates and screenshots (hopefully scouted although as ability and reputation grows, becoming more famous, the stats start to show, as in the case of Hick) will be posted twice a year, January (mid-season) and at the end of the season to show full-year playing stats.

AnalogBoy, your question is one I have been posing to myself as currently there are 7 players unattached with no interest in them. I had a few ideas about what to do should they remain that way but as the game involves 23 other people am not sure what to do.

Ideas

1 - Leave it, should they fall by the wayside and are removed from the game so be it. A bit cold I think.

2 - When a vacant manager spot opens. Create new manager, sign all unattached "created" players, then leave. Now they have homes.

3 - If possible (not at the moment but they may get desperate), sign them for San Potito. They CAN NOT play for the first team and can only sell them on the cheap recouping expenses (signing-on fee, wages, bonuses etc.).

4 - If possible (not at the moment but they may get desperate), sign them for San Potito. They CAN play for the first team and as such are now my players. However, when I receive a bid of any value I must accept.

5 - If possible (not at the moment but they may get desperate, sign them for San Potito. They CAN play for the first team and as such are now my players. I treat them as any other player and am under no obligation (other than that from my Chairman and from a financial point-of-view) to sell them.

Your thoughts on this please guys for the future, I will give it until at least January to see what happens. The future of James Bradbury, HD, Steve al-Jazeera, Borge Eian, Sam Cox, Willy and Dave Solomon rests on this.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gennaro08:

1 - Leave it, should they fall by the wayside and are removed from the game so be it. A bit cold I think.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That works for me, if we get in we get in, if not then tough - that's life! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 - When a vacant manager spot opens. Create new manager, sign all unattached "created" players, then leave. Now they have homes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

A bit late in coming but here is:

August 2005 Summary

Serie C Cup Group G

Foggia 1 - Sarni (25)

San Potito 0

Man of the Match: Sarni (Foggia - CB)

Serie C Cup Group G

San Potito 4 - Langiotti (6) Balistreri (54, 57, 81)

Giulianova 0

Man of the Match: Balistreri icon_wink.gif (Str)

Rende 3 - Trocini (32, 73) Alfieri (45)

San Potito 0

Man of the Match: David (Rende - CB)

Serie C Cup Group G

Pro Vasto 2 - Biagianti (40) Morante (54)

San Potito 2 - Pandolfi (8) Gravante (12)

Man of the Match: Gravante (CM)

Stefano sat in his office quietly pondering how well the formation change had worked against Chieti and whether utilising Balistreri and Pandolfi together in attack in a 442 would better suit the team.

"Are you coming in Stefano?" Tiziano said poking his head round the door.

"For what?"

"The draw for the next round of the Cup! All the players have finished training and are round the radio."

"Be right in."

The whole squad were in the main room of the "training complex" at Sant'Abruzzese, where they eat, have meetings and do anything that requires a large space. They waited patiently for the draw to start for the Qualifying Round of the Italian Serie C Cup.

Why's it called the Qualifying Round, when you've already been through a Group Stage, Stefano thought to himself.

"Martina, what do you make of that?" asked Tiziano.

"Think we would have all preferred a Serie C2 side but over two legs we could beat them, won 3-1 and 4-0 at home in the Groups, just got to keep the away leg tight. Anyway that's months away we go Latina at the weekend to contend with."

Latina had won their opening league game 5-2, so Stefano expected an open flowing game. He was wrong, it was a tight nervy game settled by one goal just before half-time scored by Martino Gravante after they had carving Latina open through the middle. The majority of the 2,055 strong crowd went home happy as San Potito picked themselves up after the crushing opening day defeat at Rende.

The papers the next morning were complimentary of the victory and also confirmed the signing of Borge Eian to German second division side Bochum.

Midweek and San Potito headed north to the captial to face AS Cisco Roma (current home of Paolo Di Canio IRL). A team brought about by a merger of AS Lodigiani and Cisco Calcio Roma in 2004. The game produced 39 shots, only 13 on target though and the first was converted inside five minutes by Improta for the hosts. San Potito hit straight back through Pandolfi. Stefano watched on as an attacking Cisco Roma peppered Stiel's goal in the latter stages of the first half and were lucky to still be level, one move saw them hit the woodwork twice before the Swiss tipped a shot over the bar. Stefano was looking to get his players in level at the half and regroup but that wasn't to be as Pandolfi struck again to give them the lead. He gave it ten minutes before defending the flanks against the constant surges and it worked a treat as they dominated the second half and recorded their first competitive away win.

Before Stefano had time to open the newspapers the next morning, Chairman Giuseppe Maglione was at his door.

"Superb display last night."

"Thank you Mr. Chairman."

"I think it's about time you started calling me Giuseppe, don't you?"

"I'm here to stay then?"

"Too right after that performance, I'm not quite sure what formation you played in the second half but it certianly worked, we should have had another two at least. But we need to build on this and rack up some early points, breathing space from the bottom."

"Remember what happened last time you said that, Rende away."

"Well ensure that doesn't happen this time!"

With that the Chairman left and Stefano sank his head into the daily newspapers, both local and national. The first games in the Champions League Group Stages had taken place. Rod Davies played left midfield in Sporting's 2-0 away defeat to Rangers in Group D and Diego Della Rosa played up front in the 1-1 home draw to Panathinaikos in Group C.

Pacing the floor of the changing room before the home match with Real Marcianise Stefano could still hear Chairman Maglione's words in his head. He knew he was right and wanted the players to hear the same sentiment if not the same softly spoken words.

"Last weeks win away win at Cisco Roma won't count for sh*t if we don't follow it up with a good home performance and a win."

Stefano hoped the second half would go the same way as the first, cagey and every so slightly tame, Pandolfi had given San Potito the lead. His hopes were dashed as the second half almost wanted to make up for the first half with three goals scored. Marco Ferro equalised after some rank awful defending, substitute Piero Balisteri restored the lead before on-loan Salernitana midfielder Rijat Shala scored his first goal for the club to close out the game. Stefano knew that San Potito didn't have it all their own way and were caught over the top a few times.

He smiled upon hearing the other results as Cisco Roma had won 4-0 away from home, which made his team's victory last week seem even more impressive. The smile was wiped of his face a day later though as goalkeeper, coach, captain and all round nice guy, if not a little neutral Jorg Stiel* strained his groin in training and will miss at least the next two games.

San Potito came back from the short trip to the Basilicata region and the town of Potenza with nothing to show from a decent performance and astute tacticianship from Stefano Melisi. Potenza came out with an attacking 343 formation, which promoted San Potito to change to the slightly unorthodox and defensive 4321 formation and stiffled their opponents. They had stand-in goalkeeper Ermanno Fumagalli to thank midway through the first half when he saved Carnevali's penalty but they were undone in the second half when Morello headed in from a near-post corner. San Potito had their chances, Pandolfi, Langiotti and Gravante with the best but couldn't find a way past Iuliano in the Potenza goal as San Potito lost for the first time in six.

* Apologies to Borge Eian, I have forgotten what keyboard combination (Alt + ???) it is that produces the o with the diagonal line through it is. If anyone knows then please post so I can be respectful to AndreTheShadow and Borge.

September 2005 Review

Serie C Cup Group G

San Potito 3 - Pandolfi (70, 75) Cosenza (78 pen)

Chieti 0

Action: Battisti (Cheiti - s/o 77)

Man of the Match: Pandolfi (Str)

Att: 1,024

San Potito 1 - Gravante (41)

Latina 0

Man of the Match: Capezzuto (Latina - RB)

Att: 2,055

Cisco Roma 1 - Improta (5)

San Potito 2 - Pandolfi (8, 43)

Man of the Match: Aprea (Cisco Roma - GK)

San Potito 3 - Pandolfi (14) Balisteri (69) Shala (81)

Real Marcianise 1 - Ferri (60)

Man of the Match: Caldarola (CM)

Att: 2,501

Potenza 1 - Morello (75)

San Potito 0

Action: Carnevali (Potenza - m/pen 24)

Man of the Match: Morello (Potenza - Str)

Stefano was not only delighted with the win and the scoreline but with the overall team display off the back of the defeat to Potenza. Mid-table Nocerina arrived at the Sant'Abruzzese off the back of a 5-1 victory and having not lost since the opening day of the season in the league. They were swept away from the opening minutes of the game in the wet October conditions with Stefano Pandolfi claiming a 13 minute hat-trick and then being felled for a penalty, which 6'2", 13 stone 5 lbs, 19-year-old centre Francesco Cosenze converted for his second of the season. The home fans had to wait until the 84th minute for another goal when 23-year-old left-back Gaetano Avolio scored his first goal for the club diving in at the back post. As much as the goals pleased Stefano it was the fact that Nocerina registered only two shots in the whole match, neither on target, which was most pleasing.

A look at the fixture list was met with distain by Stefano as internationals meant that there was no fixture next week and the buzz and momentum gained from that victory would have subsided by the time they travelled to the foot of Italy to the city of Lamezia Terme to take on Vigor Lamezia.

There was just enough time for a quick visit from Chairman Maglione offering his congratulations for the victory and his encouragement for the way the season had started for San Potito was sandwiched by a cautionary note of financial concern as Il Leoni were losing around £50k a month and were starting to rack up debts - before Stefano made preparations to travel to Vaduz in Liechtenstein, more importantly the Rheinpark Stadion where Gennaro was expected to play for Italy U19's in the European Qualifiers. Although three games were scheduled, he only had time for the Liechtenstein game, the Scottish and Norwegian were too close to the next San Potito match. However much he wanted to witness his son in an Azzurri shirt, management of the Serie C2/C club took a priority over everything else these days.

Archived