Liverpool - The Sleeping Giant Awakens

Justified

The Move To Liverpool Football Club

It was mid July, and I was tired of unemployment and watching football (referring to the Euro 2004) rather then managing, when he was contacted by Rick Perry, the Chairman of Liverpool Football club. I was asked to be present at a meeting; they wanted to assess his receptiveness to being the next manager at Liverpool.

Once everybody had sat down at the meeting, my first question was quick and direct. "Since Liverpool have just appointed Rafa Benitez as manager why are you looking for a new manager? At this moment you have a great manager and you want me to take over his job?"

I knew that it was almost impossible to do any better than Rafa could do.

I needed to understand what the Liverpool directors were looking for. I was sure that they weren't considering a new manager... or were they ?

They'd explained that Rafa felt that the threats from the Valencia fans had gotten so out of hand that he was in some sort of danger so he decided to step down. They also explained that they liked my profile (Won everything with Ajax, promotion with QPR, RBC and Genoa). They also explained that 2 other coaches were under consideration. They asked me to study the possibility of taking charge of Liverpool and they emphasised the need for complete secrecy about the meeting.

I decided to draw up a plan for Liverpool and present it at the next meeting, where I would set up my plans for the club.

I managed to write up a document within a few days and handed it in to the board. Without great delay, I was informed by the Liverpool board that they'd chosen me.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Move To Liverpool Football Club

It was mid July, and I was tired of unemployment and watching football (referring to the Euro 2004) rather then managing, when he was contacted by Rick Perry, the Chairman of Liverpool Football club. I was asked to be present at a meeting; they wanted to assess his receptiveness to being the next manager at Liverpool.

Once everybody had sat down at the meeting, my first question was quick and direct. "Since Liverpool have just appointed Rafa Benitez as manager why are you looking for a new manager? At this moment you have a great manager and you want me to take over his job?"

I knew that it was almost impossible to do any better than Rafa could do.

I needed to understand what the Liverpool directors were looking for. I was sure that they weren't considering a new manager... or were they ?

They'd explained that Rafa felt that the threats from the Valencia fans had gotten so out of hand that he was in some sort of danger so he decided to step down. They also explained that they liked my profile (Won everything with Ajax, promotion with QPR, RBC and Genoa). They also explained that 2 other coaches were under consideration. They asked me to study the possibility of taking charge of Liverpool and they emphasised the need for complete secrecy about the meeting.

I decided to draw up a plan for Liverpool and present it at the next meeting, where I would set up my plans for the club.

I managed to write up a document within a few days and handed it in to the board. Without great delay, I was informed by the Liverpool board that they'd chosen me.

Edit: Just noticed I wrote chairman Rick Perry, should be David Moores of course icon_rolleyes.gif

Taylor Is Liverpool's New Manager

The 9th of July 2004 is a date I will forever remember. I became manager of the club I loved and adored. But now it was down to business. The players had been given the day off so I wouldn't meet up with them until tomorrow. Rafa's 3 main men Pako Ayesteran, Paco Herrera and Jose Manuel Otxotorena said they would gladly stay on even thou Rafa had to leave. I was glad to see that Rafa's leave hasn't upsetted the staff too much and that they would stay on.

Dave Shannon, John Owens and Alex Miller were staff that were already at the club before Rafa arrived and know alot about the players already there. I also took the chance to explain the way I wanted to have the pre-season. I wanted to split the attacking player into one group and the defensive players into another. Hughie McAuley is the youth coach and so he shall remain. James Russell, Brian Abbott, Julian Holland, Mark Browes and David Galley were part of the Physio Team and informed me of the players with major injuries which happened to be Antonio Nunez and Vladimir Smicer.

The scouting team consisted of Ron Yeats, Graham French, Roy Archer, Ryan Syers and Terry Berry. I told them I would be strengthening the scouting department by 2 more scouts. I told them that we'll be looking for both players to strengthen the squad and promising youngsters.

In the evening I decided to sit down with both Paco Herrara and Pako Ayorestan and discuss which players would make the first team. I knew the squad quite well and Rafa's buys: Xabi, Garcia, Josemi and Morientes we're all welcome additions to the club.

After a few hours we came up with these players -

Jerzy Dudek : Through and through professional. Would be making his 4th season in the club and would be first choice. He has a will to win and is quite a physical presence in the box.

Chris Kirkland : Backup to Dudek. Also quite a good physical presence in the box and also a young englishman which is welcome.

Steve Finnan : Also a big will to win and has a very good first touch on the ball. Knows how to tackle a ball aswell.

Josemi : The young spaniard has a long throw which would make your jaw drop. Will probably just be a rotation player but can also play centrally.

Jaime Carragher : One of the best english defenders in the prem. Lacks some pace but can stand a head balls out of the box over and over and over..

Sami Hyypia : Big Sam is a commanding man in both boxes, althou 31 he'll be good for 2 more seasons and will be a great rolemodel for younger pros.

Mauricio Pellegrino : Experienced and will be purely a backup to the other 2 centrebacks. Very very slow player..

Igor Biscan : The strong croatian is one of the players to survive the Houllier era. Not going to be in the squad for a long term but will get his share of games this season.

John Arne Riise : This pacy Norweigan knows how to cross a ball and will give 100% in all games. Can also play in left midfield.

Djimi Traore : Merely a backup for Riise but can tackle a ball very well and has bags of pace.

Didi Hamann : This experienced achorman will be operating behind Xabi and Stevie and just doing what he does best, mopping up.

John Welsh : A talent that never blossemed under Gerard Houllier. Still very young thou and seems very professional.

Luis Garcia : One of Rafa's buys. Can do the unexpected and that is always a good thing in a midfielder. Can pull off wonderous long shots.

Richie Partridge : Backup. Has pace and can cross but not good enough for a first team spot I'm afraid.

Harry Kewell : A Leeds player that hasn't found his old form in the red shirt. A very flamboyant winger and can pull off the unexpected but a bit too inconsistant.

Xabi Alonso : Born a winner, will probably die one aswell. Xabi can sit and pick off passes all day. Definatly one of the Prem's best midfielders and I'm over the moon he joined Liverpool. Thank you Rafa!

Steven Gerrard : Does he need an introdution ? Worldclass midfielder and together with Xabi he makes the best inner midfield in the prem.

Djibril Cisse : Unproven in the prem but 70 goals in 128 games in France makes me a bit optomistic for hte future. Pace and power with a good finish!

Fernando Morientes : Another Rafa buy and will aid with his experience. Give him one chance and he will score. However he'll be battling with Cisse for that 1 top spot.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle : Merely here to watch and learn from the pro's. Still very young but has good potential! Lightning fast.

Unloading The Fringe

I felt there was alot of fringe players that weren't going to fit into this squad and some youngsters who weren't going to ever play at this level. A total of 14 players were going to leave Liverpool within the next month and we'd be replacing them with young promising players.

The next day was when I met the squad for the first time. I only had today with the squad before we left for a tour of Denmark the next day and for our first game against Hvidore. I basicly talked the players through what kind of formation we'd be playing and after that I left Paco and Pako to train the team according to my instructions I gave them the day before.

I spoke with Ron Yeats about those 2 possible new scouts and he had 2 names he knew very well. Dave Colley and Yves Bare who were friends of his and he said they know talent when they see it. I asked him to give them a call and see if they were intrested. He said that they would be very excited of being a part of this so no doubt they'll join.

After my conversation with Yeats, I went round talking to the players I would be asking to leave Liverpool. It's a tough business but it has be done. Jones, Smith, Raven, Wilkie, Smyth, O'Donnell, Whitbread, Potter, Mellor, Carson, Harrison, Otsemobor, Warnock Luzi and Baros would all have to leave the club.

In my second busy day I even managed to talk to McAuley about any promising talent coming up the ranks. He sais Willis, Peltier, Woods and Hamill were all going to be promoted to the reserves for my assessment. He also pointed out that Medjani, who is out on loan, is a very exciting prospect. I told him I wanted him to report on any good players he'd see lower down the ranks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedmanJB:

Very nice updates. Enjoying them..

I'd just look at who you are looking at selling. I see some good prospects in there. But you are the manager! Good job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of them really gave me a reason to keep them, they are just taking up valuable space and money. Woods however, the D/M C looks very very promising tbh.

@ kennedy

hehe We'll all be in here by the end of the week me thinks icon_biggrin.gif

I Like Danish Pastries

The next day it was off to Denmark we go. The friendlies had been set up by Rafa before he left but I saw nothing wrong with the tour and the added 2 friendlies he's picked so I decieded to go along with it. In Denmark we were to play Hvidore, Herfogle, AB and Aab. The two additional friendlies after this one was Boavista and Antwerp.

We finally arrived in Hvidovre and as I stepped out of the coach that had brought us here I could feel little beads of rain falling down upon me. It was quite warm in the air but I got a feeling we'd be playing in mud towards the evening. Hvidovre Stadium was quite small, only seating for just under 5000 people but from what I could understand it was going to be a sell-out and the people of Hvidovre said it was a pleasure to see the mighty Liverpool...

Sunday 11th July 2004, 19.30

Hvidovre 0

Liverpool 3[b/] - Cisse 24, Luis Garcia 35, Xabi Alonso 59.

MOM - Steven Gerrard

Att: 14914

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Kirkland; Carragher, Pellegrino, Hyypia, Riise; Alonso; Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Partridge; Cisse

1st Half

The rain was coming down hard over the pitch but that wouldn't stop any players from playing tonight. It was still quite warm so it made it a bit sticky to play in. 3rd minute into the game some good passing between Hamann, Cisse and Garcia results in Garcia taking a pop from 25 yards but the shot went wide. 10th minute the Hvidore defence try to cut through the middle but it's cut out brilliantly by Pellegrino who heads it forward to Cisse, he lays off quickly to Garcia who again decides to take a pop. At this moment in time I shouted to Garcia that he shouldn't shoot, obviously he was having difficulty with the wet ball. Goal! 24th minute, Riise cut out a long ball played by the Hvidore defence and sent it straight the other way for the pacy Cisse who had gotten rid of his marker, Cisse feinted to shoot right and shot left instead past the keeper, Hvidore 0 Liverpool 1. Goal! Almost 10 minutes later we get a throw-in on the left which Riise takes. He throws long to Garcia who runs into the box, shoots first time, keeper saves but Garcia taps in the loose ball, Hvidore 0 Liverpool 2. At half time I just told the lads to keep on doing what they were doing, Hvidore are only throwing long balls at us and can't really coup with our class.

2nd Half

10 minutes into the 2nd half and some great play from Liverpool. Pellegrino cut yet another long ball out and played it straight to Gerrard in midfield who in his turn put through a terrific pass to set Partridge on his way towards goal, however he shoots straihgt at the goalie who saves and their defender clears. Goal! 30 yards outside the box, Partridge was fouled very badly and had to go off from some treatment. In the mean time Xabi Alonso took the free-kick and he slammed it straight into the top cornor, Hvidore 0 Liverpool 3. I decided in the 70th minute to take off everyone except Kirkland and Carragher, so on came Josemi, Biscan, Welsh, Kewell, Traore, Finnan, Foy, Morientes and Hamill. I noticed that the substitutions disturbed the balance in the team a bit and Hvidore got a chance straight away, a cross from the right hand side to the far post but Josemi cut out the ball in the nick of time.At this point in time the Hvidore fans start to fall out of the stadium in disappoitment. At the end of the game, 92nd minute, another cross came from the right hand side but this time Josemi didn't cut it out and Dahl shot straight at Kirkland who saved beautifully.

Herfogle or Herr Fogle ?

3 days after the rainy game at Hvidore we find ourselves in Herfogle which I believe is further north and by the temperature, you could tell. However the sun was out so I decided to take a walk before tonights game. Whilst walking in the town in I found Carragher, Gerrard laughing hystericly at Hamann outside this cafe. I walked over to see what all the commotion was about. Apparently Hamann had gotten this day all wrong, he thought we were meeting someone called Herr Fogle (a person) and not a team called Herfogle. Since Hamann is German I could spot the obvious mistake but now it seems as if the lads have branded him Herr Fogle. As I walked away from the three "lads" a smile came upon my face after re-thinking what just had happened.

Wednesday 14th July 2004, 19.30

Herfogle 1, Pederson 90

Liverpool 1, Morientes 64

MOM - Jakob Pederson

Att: 7968

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Kirkland; Josemi, Carragher, Hyppia, Riise; Alonso; Finnan, Hamann, Gerrard, Foy; Morientes

1st Half

I was a bit disappionted by the turnout of fans but anyway, it's only a friendly. 7 minutes into the game and Foy had to come off after a nasty tackle, poor lad, so on went Kewell instead. The first 30 minutes of the game, all credit to Herfogle, they were holding the ball very well but then came some great teamwork between Kewell and Gerrard down the left which resulted in a cross from Kewell to the far post onto a on-rushing Steve Finnan! But he fouled his man and it got blown for a free-kick to Herfogle. In half time I told the lads I wanted more passion, we looked like dead beats out there at the moment and I demanded a goal.

2nd Half

Again we started the second half like the first one, no creativity at all and Herfogle were really trying to grab a goal. However we were looking a bit more decisive. Goal! 64 minutes in, Josemi gets a throw in and throws it long into the box for Morientes who is standing on the near post, he then heads it, not into the right side of the goal but the left in bizarre fashion, but who cares, it's in! Herfogle 0 Liverpool 1. After the goal I decided to bring on some subs, Kirkland, Riise, Carra and Hyypia stay on and Pellegrino, Welsh, Cisse, Partridge, Biscan, Garcia and Hamill come on. Then came the cruelty of the game, the ref had said 3 minutes of injury time BUT Goal! 93 minutes and 24 seconds into the game and a cornor is cleared by Carragher, the ball comes straight back into the box to a free Pederson who knocks it skillfully past Kirkland, Herfogle 1 Liverpool 1...

I told the players after the game that they played very very well and that we didn't deserve to concede that silly goal. I told them I felt it was the ref's fault for adding on time to the added time... Bastard.. icon_biggrin.gif

It's just one of those days..

I could tell the lads were a bit down after that result. Even thou it's a friendly, you can ask any player and he would say it doesn't matter, when playing football you want to win every game! I don't blame them, I would too if I was playing. We are now in a town called Gladsaxe where we are to meet a team called AB. The stadium manager told me that it seems to be a sell out tonight and what perfect weather it was for a football match. Sun was shining and it was T-Shirt weather. But this day was to turn out to be "One of those days..."..

Friday 16th 2004, 19.30

AB 1, Yaro Yaro 69

Liverpool 0

MOM - Ambrosen

Att: 13215

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise; Hamann; Garcia, Alonso, Hamann, Partridge; Cisse.

1st Half

Today I decided to let "Herr Fogle" play in the anchor role and move Alonso up beside Gerrard to see who well he'd fair. Dudek is in for Kirkland in goal aswell. 16 minutes in and a clearence from my defence just ends up behind the AB defence and Cisse is on it in a flash, he comes free against the goalie but smashes it well wide, he held his head in shame, and so he should. Cisse has been causing havoc with his runs this first half and their having to foul him everytime but no yellow cards have been dealt, C'mon Ref! Just after that, more controversy, Alonso's got a free kick 25 yards out and one of the AB players if stand 1 yard away from the ball when Alonso strikes it but the ref lets play go on. After he blew the whistle for halftime I took a long talk with the ref and said he better be more awake on the pitch in the second half or else I'd report him. In the locker-room it seems the ref's desicions have taken effect on the players, they seemed very hard-done but I told them to keep feeding balls to Cisse because they can't handle him

2nd Half

10 minutes in and we get a counter attack, Josemi comes out of our box with the ball, passes to Cisse who in his turn passes to his left to a forward running Partridge, he in his turns go a bit backward to create some space for an overlapping Gerrard, Partridge plays a through ball and Gerrard is one on one with the goalie, he tries to round him but one of the defenders slide tackles the ball very cleanly. DAMN! 2 minutes after that Cisse gets thruogh on goal, assisted by Alonso but he blazes it over the bar! DAMN DAMN! Goal! It took 69 minutes to break the deadlock, but it wasn't us who scored. AB's midfielders passed the ball about beautifully and the ball got crossed from the left to the far post were Yaro Yaro won a header against Partridge and Dudek was left helpless, AB 1 Liverpool 0. I was very frustrated an decided to sub some players, Dudek, Josemi, Carragher and Riise stay on and off the bench comes Pellegrino, Finnan, Morientes, Kewell, Sinama, Biscan and Welsh. The subs put more pressure onto the game, Sinama took a cornor from the right, crossed far post to Morientes, cleared by the AB defence to Carra who was standing wide right, he crosses centrally to Morientes who gets a clean header but a super save by the AB keeper. AB are just defending now, 10 minutes later Sinama is put through by Kewell and he tries to shoot low but the keeper parries with his legs and the AB defence clears. The last chance was to fall to Biscan, another cornor from Sinama, this time on the left, finds Biscan along the ground by the penalty spot, he hit on the volley but again the goalkeeper gets his fingers to it. The match ends and the AB fans in the stand go wild.

As I said, it was just one of those days when it starts so well with the warmth, the sun and the good feeling but ends with referee controversy, missed chances, bad marking and super goalies. The players felt the same as me and hopefully we could use this to motivate us for the big danish game of this tour, Aab..

Who Was That Goalie ?

AaB are situated in the city of Aalborg and the whole city is buzzing for this fixture. The match was going to be shown on danish television and the match was a sell-out. The AaB fans were optimistic because we lost agianst AB. But the Danish bookies were predicting an easy game for Liverpool. The kick-off was an afternoon match and the weather was hot and sunny. What a great way to end the tour!

Sunday 18th July, 15.00

AaB 1, Mikkelsen 69

Liverpool 1, Welsh 90

MOM - Stenild

Att: 15386

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Kirkland; Carra, Biscan, Hyypia, Traore; Hamann; Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Kewell; Sinama

1st Half

Maybe not the first XI the pundits were expecting but I decided to left Traore, Biscan and Sinama show off and convince me to keep them. Kirkland is back in goal again. 3 minutes into the game and I almost regreted putting Biscan in defence, he was pantsing about with the ball and Ericsson nicked the ball off him and hurried hit shot, over the bar. 12 minutes in and we were running the midfield, AaB seemed happy to keep the ball amonst their defenders but once we had the ball in their half we could keep there, Kewell pass to Gerrard in the box who laid it off first time to Alonso how clipped it on the volley and Laursen tipped it over the bar. 30 minutes into the game and Sinama was fouled on the right edge of the area, Hamann ran over to take the free kick and struck it hard and well and hit the crossbar! First half was ours by a long shot and we controlled the game well. In the locker room at half time I told them to up the tempo a bit and try and use Sinama's runs to rip the defence apart.

2nd Half

The match died alot in the 2nd half and none of the teams got going at all. It could be the heat thou as it was going up to 27C. Goal!Just as I told some subs to undress and get ready to come on a big cheer came like a big wave behind me, I turned around to see that AaB had scored. But how?! I asked Paco if he has seen what happened, apparently AaB knocked their freekick high over the defence and Biscan wasn't paying attention and Mikkelsen was totally free and scored, AaB 1 Liverpool 0. I shouted at Biscan to keep focused, I can't understand why he would play so badly now I have given him the chance. The fans settled down and both teams made subs, despite Biscan's poor display on and off the ball I decided to keep him on with Kirkland, Carra, Traore, Hyypia and Hamann. On came Riise, Cisse, Partridge, Welsh and Pellegrino. I decided to put Biscan in anchor midfield and see if he'd do any better there. But it was one of the AaB subs that impressed me mostly. Young goalkeeper Kenneth Stenild who was to make his debut and play for 30 minutes. The subs were immediatly effective and putting Stenild to the test early, a Riise cross from the left was deflected and curling inside the near post but a great save from Stenild kept that out. A cornor was given and Partridge hit a low ball towards the near post to Hamann who decided ot pass it back to Partridge who had moved into the box, his effort was inches away the far post. 79 minutes into the game and a long goal kick from Kirkland caused confusion in the AaB defence, Stenild came to claim but hte defender decided to head it back to him, Stenild got his fingers to it and it went out for a unessesairy cornor, we were really upping the pressure now. The following cornor taken by Partridge was aimed towards Hyypia in the box, his header was goal bound but another wonder save from Stenild kept it out. 86 miuntes in, we keep coming and coming and AaB knock the ball away all the time, Riise put Cisse through with a lovely ball but Stenild came out well and Cisse hit hte shot hard but wide of the mark. Goal! In extra time, a cross from Riise gone a stray was picked up by Finnan and cross into the box at the far post where Welsh slotted it into the far cornor, hit the post and in past Stenild, wonderful goal! AaB 1 Liverpool 1

After the match the players were glad they didn't loose another game and Biscan apologized for the sloppy defending. His performance after that in anchorrole got me curious to see what he could do in that role so I explained that everything was good, no hard feelings. But I couldn't help thinking of Stenild. If anyone was to be dubbed the new Schmiechel, it had to be this lad. I called up Miller and asked him if he could send a scout to look at Stenild and keep tabs on him "No problem, sir, right away!"

The Fringe Is Gone..

The following day the players had been given the day off and I came back to Anfield to prepare for the trip to Porto to meet Boavista when David Moores stepped into my office. He explained that the players I wished to sell had been done. "Wow, you guys work fast around here", I said. He handed me a list of the players that'd been sold and where :

Mark Jones - Hyde

James Smith - Leigh RMI

David Raven - Altrincham

Ryan Wilkie - AaB

Mark Smyth - Marine

Danny O'Donnell - Hornchurch

Zak Whitbread - Gretna

Darren Potter - Macclesfield

Neil Mellor - Velacruz

Scott Carson - Pachuca

Paul Harrison - Boston Utd

Jon Otsemobor - Osasuna

Patrice Luzi - Bastia

Milan Baros - Hannover 96

I was surprised by some of the transfers to be perfectly frank. Mellor and Carson playing in Mexico ? It brought a slight chuckle when I read it. I thanked Moores and he bid farewell.

Later that day Alex Miller knocked on my door. He said he wanted me to meet Bare and Colley, the new scouts. They seemed like pleasant chaps and I told them really what I was looking for. Mostly young and exciting prospects. Miller also explained he had found 3 players that he thuoght we should pick up. Seeing as they were all three under 17 we could pick them up for a nominal fee. All 3 were midfielders and they were called Gerard Lifondja, Denni Avdic and Glenn Kobussen. I told Miller that I wanted him to sign them up and show them around the club and make sure they come.

During the evening just before I was going to leave I got a call from MK Dons boss Danny Wilson. He explained that one of his scouts had been watching Lee Peltier in one of the reserve friendlies and asked if he could loan him for 3 months. I told him if Peltier wants to then no problem, he was too young to break into the first team anyway and could do with a good loan spell. Wilson was delighted with my answer and started taking up negotiations with Peltier right away.

Do The Portuguese Have A Siesta ?

The planetrip to Porto didn't take long and the players seemed to be well rested and well trained for this game. Since the game was an afternoon one I told them yesterday who was in and out of the starting XI. Lee Peltier, btw, has completed his move to MK Dons saying that he might even make it permanant. That's unless I have anything to say about it icon_biggrin.gif

The Match this afternoon was to be broadcasted on tv and Pierluigi Collina was going to be the referee. This match was becoming bigger then I thought.

Saturday 24th July, 16.00

Boavista 0

Liverpool 2, Cisse 1, Gerrard 20

MOM - Harry Kewell

Att: 1810

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Carra, Pellegrino, Hyypia, Riise; Hamann; Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

Coming out of the tunnel I was stunned. Where were all the people ? There are more people at Hvidovre then this place. I was beginning to think that maybe the Portuguese have siesta's or something. Goal!As for the match, it took 55 seconds for Cisse to find the back of the net after good play with intricate passes from Hamann, Alonso, Gerrard and Kewell to find Cisse free in the box. The finish to be fair was straight at the goalie but he just laid down like canned tuna, Boavista 0 Liverpool 1. 12th minute and Boavista are'nt in the game, a ball from Alonso finds Cisse and he squares it for Stevie who ballons it over the bar unfortionatly. Goal! A cornor from the left by Kewell finds Hyypia in the box who heads it down near post to Gerrard who hits it on the volley, low and hard past Khadim in Boavista's goal, Boavista 0 Liverpool 2 and cruice control. 30 minutes on the clock and Cisse steals the ball of the Boavista defender and moves wide, Garcia moves inwards and receives the ball in his favorate position and shoots but his shot is too weak and easy for Khadim to catch. Half-Time and we were 2-0 up and very confortably aswell, Alonso had picked up a slight knock so I decided to put Welsh on instead just in case.

2nd Half

I told the team to hold the ball a bit more and slow the tempo down. It was very hot here in Porto and I didn't want the players too tired. However in the 52 minute Gerrard gets sent off for a trip! I was furious, not at Gerrard but at Collina, who otherwise is so professional. 70th minute subs were Partridge and Traore on. The match, was predictably, dead in the second half with Sinama's effort in the 84th minute the only one to write home about. He'd found space on the left and received the ball from Riise and dribbled into the box and shot, too high thou. Total domination by Liverpool and Kewell put in a very good performance! From here we go direct to Antwerp for our last friendly before the season kicks off!

Last Friendly

This would be the last chance for rotation players to convince me of a first team spot. I'd already really decided who plays and who doesn't but you never know what waits around the cornor.

Tuesday 27th July, 20.00

Antwerp 0

Liverpool 2, Cisse 18, Garcia 45

MOM - Hamann

Att: 6296

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Kirkland; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Biscan; Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

Biscan was given another chance but this time as the anchor in midfield. 8th min - A throw in for Antwerp was cut out by Hamann who fed it to Biscan who'd run into the box, he passes a ball to the left wing where Kewell 1 timed it into the box for Gerrard who balloned it over the bar. 16th min - Gerrard hits a free-kick from 25 yards well over the bar. Goal! 18 minutes into the game and Finnan's free kick finds Garcia on the right wing, he crosses to Cisse in the box who buries his header into the right cornor of the goal, Antwerp 0 Liverpool 1, great header! 36th min - Gerrard's free kick finds Cisse in the box who fires in a volley with his left foot, being a very right footed player this meant it drifted well wide of the target but he should of gotten it on goal at least. Goal! In the dyeing moments of the 1st half, Hamann finds Garcia on the right wing who pounds home of his trademark long shots from 30 yards well beyond the antwerp keepers reach, Antwerp 0 Liverpool 2! At half time I asked the players to keep pressing as they did in the first, Antwerp were not even close of getting into the game

2nd Half

Right from the off we got a free-kick which found Kewell on the left who passed into the box for Cisse, he squared it back to Gerrard on top of the half-moon and he hit on the volley, just wide. Kewell picked up a knock in the 55th minute and was replaced by Partridge. Luis Garcia and Cisse were replaced by Traore and Sinama in the 70th minute. Riise's free kick in the 88th minute is the only real danger in the second half, from a real tight angle it went inches past the right goal post.

We were cruising in our last 2 friendlies and it gave me great optimism for the future. The lads were given a week off and then full focus on our Champions League Qualification match away to Banik Ostrava.

£14m And He Scores On His Debut

We've been preparing for a whole week for this fixture and the lads looked great in training. Everyone was fit and ready for the season ahead. I told them that it was important not to loose this match today and that I would'nt be upset with a draw but my only wish is that we score today.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW -

Mr Taylor, how are you feeling ahead of tonights game?

I am feeling quite confident that the players can score a goal and hopefully we'll come away with a win.

Morientes is out injured but would he have been in the starting XI if he had'nt?

Probably not, Cisse has been in inspiring form the whole pre-season and it's very unlucky for Morientes to get injured in the start of the season.

How do you fancy Liverpool's chances in the Champions League?

If we get a good run of form in Europe then the team can definatly go all the way. Some luck with suspensions and injuries is also a factor but the team are good enough to be in the final in Istanbul, definatly.

And finally, what will be the score tonight ?

I'm hoping 2-0 to us of course.

Wednesday 11th August, 19.45. Bazaly, Ostrava

Champions League Qual.3 Leg 1

Banik Ostrava 0

Liverpool 1, Cisse 31

MOM - Alonso

Att: 17811

Banik Ostrava (5-3-2); Pospisill; Latal, Klimpi, Kostal, Pospesch, Strnad; Sioncik, Bystron, Cizek; Magera, Papadopoulos

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Hamann; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

Pierluigi Collina is in charge of this game and for those that remember Boavista, Gerrard won't be happy with that, let's just hope he does'nt send him off again. 4th min - Bystron takes a pop from 30 yards infront of goal but it goes well wide, good start from Ostrava here. The next minute we get a throw in on the left in the opponents half, Riise throws to Alonso who finds Gerrard outside the area, Gerrard takes it in his stride and dribbles into the box and shots hard at goal, over the bar! 18th min - Alonso's free kick hits the wall and bounces out to Hamann who sets up Garcia on the right egde of the box and he shots on the volley but hits the sidenetting. Around the 28th minute Gerrard is signalling to the bench that he's picked up a slight knock on the leg and seems to be half limping. I decided to keep him on the pitch. My first thought was that Collina seems to be a bad luck charm to Stevie. Goal! Finnan throws the ball to Gerrard who in his turn 1-2's with Hamann and serves Cisse a delish ball into the box and the frenchman can't miss on his right foot, Ostrava 0 Liverpool 1, Cisse scores on his debut! I decided to take off Gerrard immediatly for Igor Biscan because I didn't want to take any risks. 37th min - The Ostrava defence are pressured low into their box and Riise picks up a loose ball at the halfway line, he passes Kewell down the wing who crosses to Alonso who's made a run into the box but his header is just over. 42nd min - Banik get a free-kick in the Liverpool half and pass down the right side, Finnan intercepts but manages to loose the ball ot the winger who sqaures it across the box to Bystron who shot feints and passes left instead to Latal who ballons it way over the bar. 45th min - Cornor on the left, Alonso takes it and finds Kewell along the ground in the box, his snapshot is saved by Paspicil thou and then cleared by the defence. Collina blows for half time and I leave the pitch with a smile.

2nd Half

57th min - Garcia's free kick from the right lands right into the goalie's arms qiute confortably. I decide in the 70th minute that Cisse and Garcia should come off to be saved for the weekend and were replaced by Partridge and Pongolle. 75th min - Partridge finds Hamann centrally past the halfway line, Hamann takes it just outside the box and through balls it to Partridge in the box but he's shot sails over the bar. 82nd min - Sinama's run out wide creates space for Hamann who receives the ball from Partridge but now in his turn his shot also flies over the bar. Ostrava decide now to put more bodies forward to try and get an equalizer but Carragher emerges as a giant in defence. Banik were to get 1 last chance thou, 10 seconds before the whistle a cross from the left is deflected off Finnan and landed infront of Danek but he was soon put off his shot and it sailed wide of Dudek's right post. The final whistle blew and the travelling fans were delighted for both team and Cisse!

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Well Daniel, you got the result you wanted, how do you feel?

I feel that Ostarava were not good enough to impose any threat. We had total control today and we should of won by more goals but I am very happy for the players, they have made this possible.

Gerrard got a slight knock, is he alright?

I spoke to the physios and he has a bruise but will be quite alright for the match against Middlesbrough on Sunday.

Cisse scored on his debut, how did you feel when he scored?

Very happy for the player but as I said before the game, his form in the pre-season shows he is a great player and is one of the best attackers in the Premiership

Are you going through now?

Well there is one more game left but I'm quite confident that they will not score at Fort Anfield.

Thanks Mr Taylor and good luck on Sunday.

Thank You..

GUNNERS MAKING DEISLER MOVE

14 August 2004

Premiership Champions Arsenal have reportedly made a £6.7m bid for FC Bayern sensation Sebastian Deisler.

The German international has been one of Bundesliga's most impressive wingers over the past years and had been consistently linked with a summer move to Sociedad.

FC Bayern general manager Karl heinz Rummenigge recently slapped a £10 million price tag on him, and the German press are now reporting that Gunners manager Arsene Wenger has responded by faxing through an official offer for the 24-year-old.

Arsene wenger has been public in declaring the need to bolster his wings, with Cagliari old boy Esposito also linked with a move to Highbury, and the willingness of Wenger to stump up such significant transfer funds could see them jump to the head of the queue for Deisler.

Liverpool and Sociedad have also been linked with a swoop which would substantially alleviate FC Bayern's financial concerns, although the player himself admitted to being concerned about the high figure placed on his head.

Deisler revealed that he was dreaming of moving to a big side and refused to rule out an overseas transfer, opening the door to the possibility of linking up with Wenger next season.

"I've told Magarth I'm not so sure teams will be able to spend such a high sum on me," Deisler told Die Kicker.

"FC Bayern defined a price, then its possible to negotiate, in the sense at the end of the market they will probably sell me for an inferior sum.

"They need that money and I'm happy my sale could help FC Bayern's financial situation, and then I'm happy that I can make the big jump.

"Fear of a big jump? When dreams become true they don't make you fearful.

"I'll have the possibility to play in a big team, and I'll do it with humility, as usual.

"I'm ready to put myself under discussion, would I like to play with [Thierry] Henry? Yes, but I'd like to play with [steven] Gerrard too.

"Abroad excluded? Absolutely not."

Dream Start At The Dream Club

Were the Deisler links true ? You'll just have to keep tuned to this story to find icon_wink.gif We were on a good high after the trip to the Czech Republic and I would make my Liverpool debut away from home at the Riverside. I didn't underestimate 'Boro at all and I find them very competant at home but they were not going to get an easy ride with me.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

Mr Taylor, your first game in charge is away to a very good home team and is live TV coverage, do you feel any pressure?

The pressure is always there but I live for these moments and I wish they'd come more often.

Morientes still out, do you miss him ?

Of course we miss him, he is a professional amongst professionals and the younger strikers look up to him and learn alot from him

Rumours are about that you are linked with Deisler, true or false?

Deisler is a great player and would do well at this club, if he is coming or not I rather not comment.

Finally, score tonight?

We will win, 1-0 I think.

Sunday 15th August, 14.00. The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough

Premiership

Middlesbrough 1, Hasselbaink 26

Liverpool 3, Luis Garcia 42, 74 Pongolle 88

MOM - Gerrard

Att: 35084

Middlesbrough (4-4-2); Schwarzer; Parnaby, Southgate, Ehiogu, Cooper; Mendieta, Boateng, Zenden, Downing; Hasselbaink, Viduka

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Hamann; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

7 minutes in and the first chance falls to Alonso, Riise finds Kewell out on the wing and he crosses to Cisse in the box, Ehiogu wins the ball from Cisse but Alonso snaps up the loose ball but shoots wide of Schwarzre's post. 14th min - Counter attack by Liverpool, Garcia gets the ball outside his own box and sets Cisse free with a wonderfull pass, Cisse is free against Schwarzer but Schwarzer beats away the ball and Southgate clears for a throw in. Finnan takes the throw in quickly to Garcia who finds Gerrard outside the area and Gerrard puts the shot over the bar. 17th minute and another beautiful attack by Liverpool, Finnan tackles the ball off Downing, passes Luis Garcia, who passes Gerrard on the halfway line, he passes Cisse infront of him, Cisse squares it for Alonso outside the box, Xabi passes Kewell on the left who is unmarked, Kewell takes it into the box, shoots, Schwartzer beats it wide again and Ehiogu clears to Viduka who sets up Hasselbaink outside the area, tackled by Hyypia but it falls to Viduka outside the box who shoots wide. 19th min - Cisse finds space out on the left, receives the ball, runs into hte box and cuts it back for Kewell on the penalty spot and shoots, but straight at Schwarzer. Goal! 26 minutes into the game and Mendieta nicks the ball off Riise and sets up a free Hasselbaink in the area who smacks it with power into the net to score his debut goal, the 'Boro fans go mad and chant "Who are ya!! Who are ya!!", Middlesbrough 1 Liverpool 0. Came as a shock, we'd had the game all the while. We tried to get a quick response through Gerrard who passes Cisse outside 'Boro's area but his long shot is over the bar. 32nd min - Goal kick by Dudek is headed by Ehiogu to Downing who lobs the ball infront of Hasselbaink and he takes it on the half volley but it's waaaay over the bar. Goal! 42 minutes into the game and the brilliant Schwarzer makes a grave mistake, Cisse had made a great run to the right wing and crossed the ball, it went past all the Liverpool players in the box and Schwartzer thought he could get the ball but did'nt see Kewell on the left wing who collected the ball and sliced a cross into the box to a free standing Luis Garcia who taps the ball into the empty net to score his first goal for Liverpool, grave mistake, Middlesbrough 1 Liverpool 1. 3 minutes later, again Gerrard being the midfield general and sets up Cisse with a through ball, clean on goal but Cisse hits it over the bar. Into extra time Luis Garcia tries a long shot from the right hand side but it goes terribly wide and Boateng tried a 20 yarder after poor control from Cisse just outside his box but it went way over. Half time and for a neautral viewer this is a bloody good game of footie!

2nd Half

The game in the 2nd half didn't kickstart aswell as the 1st one ended and it took until the 65th minute for some action, Finnan found Garcia on the right wing, crossed in for Gerrard, tackle by Southgate, snapped up by Garcia, shoots but hits the sidenetting. 3 minutes later Garcia is at it agian, this time he heads a ball over the Boro defence and Cisse is clean through on goal, his shot went well wide left thou. After that I decided that Cisse had had his chances and subbed both him and Kewell for Sinama and Partridge. Goal! 4 minutes after the subs and Sinama takes a throw in to Gerrard who gets into the area, takes a pop, saved by Schwartzer but Luis Garcia gets the tap in again to make it Middlesbrough 1 Liverpool 2, that gave the fans something to shout about and the Liverpool fans could be heard chanting "Your Team Is F***ING S***". 81 min - A long ball up to Viduka is cut out by Carra but he is header is snapped up by Nemeth who shoots on the volley but it's well wide. 86 min - Partridge crosses into the box for Sinama, cut out by Southgate but Alonso hits the loose ball high over the bar. 87 min - Cornor for Boro aimed at Viduka in the box but his header is wild and over the bar. Goal!Dudek takes the goalkick, finds Partridge on the right, passes inwards to Alonso who passes back to him and runs into the box, Patridge ignores him and passes Sinama instead who is totally free in the box, he slides it past Schwarzer and 3-1 to Liverpool and that killed the last minutes of the game.

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Another great result for you this week Daniel, how do you feel?

It was a great match for a neautral to watch, 2 attacking teams going for 3 points so early in the season shows both teams ambitions. But noone can say the result was'nt fair, we had pressed and pressed and we got 2 goals through Garcia. The third goal was because of my tactical brillians by subbing Partridge and Sinama on and they create the 3rd goal.

So you go into your home match agianst Southampton with great confidence?

I've said to the players that Anfield has to be created into a fort where teams do not wish to come. I know it has that word now but I want to make teams fear and of course the fans have to help create the atmosphere.

Standing beside you you have Gerrard who was Sky Sports MOM, who does it feel working with this manager Steve ?

He is very organized and knows what he wants from his players. I feel that under his guidance we can achieve good things and he has shown on the pitch today what he can make of Liverpool FC

Well here you go guys, a free bottle of champers and a good luck to future fixtures!

Thanks..

Fort Anfield Begins..

The result against 'Boro really kickstarted the season very well with fans and players in great spirits. I was to play on Liverpool grass for the first time since joining the club and the club of Southampton was to deal with that. Sami Hyypia had to miss the game due to being with Finland but that's what Pellegrino is here for, backup.

Wednesday 18th August, 19.30. Anfield, Liverpool

Premiership

Liverpool 1, Cisse 19

Southampton 0

MOM - Kewell

Att: 42711

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Pellegrino, Riise; Hamann; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

Southampton (3-4-1-2); Smith; Jakobsson, Higginbotham, Davenport; Svensson, Delap, Redknapp, Le Saux; Ormerod; Camara, Phillips

1st Half

It took about 7 minutes for the first chance to drop for Liverpool. Gerrard found Finnan who in his turn passed down the line for Garcia, he took a shot from his favorite position but it went over the bar. Goal! A cornor is cleared from Southampton and Riise holds onto the ball in our own half, both Carra and Pellegrino are running back from the cornor, Riise passes Pellegrino who is now on the left back position, he then sends a great ball to Kewell on the left, he dribbles into the box, past Jakobssen, centres it for Cisse, easy chance for the frenchman, 1-0 to Liverpool! 27 min - Carragher finds Garcia out on the right wing and he decides to take another shot from the wing, better shot but this time wide of the left post. 29 min - freekick just on the half circle but Redknapp decides to pass Higginbotham instead of shooting himself, Higginbotham's shot is well wide and high. 32 min - Phillips tries a shot from outside the Liverpool area but it goes high and wide. 37 min - Kewell gets a free kick on the left hand side but blows his free kick over the bar. 42 min - cornor from Alonso to Pellegrino but his header is well over the bar. Steve Dunn blows for halftime and there is really only 1 team in it.

2nd half

In the 63th minute Cisse gets free on the right but the ball bobbles loose and Smith runs to claim but Cisse gets the ball before him, Cisse shots towards the open goal but Higginbotham deflects the shot and Jakobssen clears. At this point I take off the two tired wingmen Garcia and Kewell and Cisse and replace them with Partridge, Biscan and Sinama. Kewell gets a standing ovation for his lovely performance this evening. Biscan goes down to left back whilst Riise goes to left wing. 75 min - Xabi Alonso's free kick is high and wide. A minute later Biscan finds Partridge on the right with a fantastic ball, Partridge cuts in before releasing the trigger but his shot goes wide of the left post. 84 min - Biscan this time finds Riise on the left wing, cross into the box for the on rushing Gerrard, who heads it! But it's gone high over the bar from the captain. It seems like 1-0 is going to be the final score..

My first impression is that we should of gotten more but we have ourselves to blame for that. But 3 points is 3 points and we should be happy with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

Top story Justified - hope you can keep this up cos it looks really in depth. Glad you binned off twisty Baros icon14.gif

KUTGW icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers! Yeah I think Baros RL self made me sell him because he is really a pain in the @ss icon_biggrin.gif Surprised that he picked Hannover over Sociedad, Mallorca and Middlesbrough thou icon_confused.gif

Top Of The League, 'aving A Laugh

Even thou Pompey are relegation candidates it doesn't mean you can go down there and play total football, they have quite a good mix of muscle and brain in the team but I knew we stood a chance of bringing all three points back to Liverpool. Steven Gerrard was looking a bit tired after the Soton' game so I decided to put Biscan in the achor role and bump Hamann up to centre midfield. Sami Hyypia is back in centre defense and Pellegrino is on the bench.

Saturday 21st August, 15.00. Fratton Park, Portsmouth

Premiership

Portsmouth 0

Liverpool 1, Cisse 5

MOM - Kewell

Att: 20281

Portsmouth (4-4-1-1); Hislop; Griffin, Anderson, Stefanovic, Mares; Stone, O'Neil, Mezague, Taylor; Berger; Yakubu

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

4 minutes into the game and Pompey had their first chance, Yakubu got the ball outside the area and went for a pile driver and it was very close to 1-0. Goal! Instead it went the other way, Riise passed down the line to Kewell, he passed into Hamann and Hamann put Cisse through on goal, Cisse finished off calmly through the legs of Hislop and Liverpool get off to a cracking start, 1-0! 15 min - Berger gets a freekick outside the box but puts it high and wide. 26 min - Steve Stone passed Yakubu up front and he put through an overlapping Berger, he got tackled by Carra and the ball fell to Yakubu who almost had an open goal but he put it over. 31 min - Liverpool cornor gets cleared and Riise and Finnan are both sleeping whilst Stone collects the ball behind them, he's clear on goal but a fabulous save from Dudek keeps Pompey out. 2 minutes later Carra is caught out by Berger who passes centrally to O'Neil who drives one from range but it's wide. 35 min - Liverpool attack through Kewell who finds Cisse who's made a run out wide left, he dribbles inwards and finds Garcia who has moved in a bit from his position, he tries a long shot which Hislop can't hold but it's cleared by Griffin. 43 min - Cisse get's a similiar opportunity as the one when Yakubu had an open goal when Kewell got tackled and he collected the loose ball but he too balloned it over the bar. Just before half time Pompey get a cornor, it's hit centrally by Berger and Mezangue is free in the box but a great save by Dudek denies him and Hamann clears. Knight blows for half time shortly afterwards. Most Pompey fans would be aggreived of the scoreline at halftime because they've had great chances to get in this.

2nd half

Just after Knight had blown for the second half a cross from Mares found Yakubu and he scored icon_eek.gif BUT it was correctly ruled out for offside. The "Referee's a w***er" chant didn't go a miss but the decision was correct. 61 min - Hamann, on the halfway line, passes forward ro Alonso who sets up Garcia centrally, you know what's coming, a long shot but clean over the bar. 70th minute subs are Kewell, Alonso, Cisse off and Partridge, Welsh and Sinama on. 83 min - Counter attack by Portsmouth down the right, Duffy found Lua Lua infront of the area and he sets up Berger in the box but he rushes the shot over the bar. 86 min - a 2nd chance for Berger with a free kick but he puts it wide, again. We manage to hold them off for the rest of the game and I count myself happy for a 1-0 result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

Good story keep it up icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers icon14.gif

Champions League Here We Come

Hamann's been injured in training this week but I was going to field a rather B-sided squad anyway. Kirkland, Josemi, Pellegrino, Traore, Biscan, Patridge, Foy, Welsh and Sinama are all set to start the match this evening.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

You've selected quite a reserve sided team, that confident you'll win?

Yeah I think the second string are good enough to build on the last result and with the support of the fans they should only build in confidence.

Hamann got injured in training this week, long term ?

No he should only be out for a week or so, might miss the game against Manchester City towards the weekend.

Last but not least, I heard it was your birthday yesterday, hoping for a nice prezzie today ?

I hope the players can give me a nice present, yes icon_biggrin.gif

Wednesday 25th August, 19.45. Anfield, Liverpool

Champions League 3rd Qual. 2nd Leg

Liverpool 1, Gerrard 38

Banik Ostrava 0

MOM - Gerrard

Att: 40087

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Kirkland; Josemi, Pellegrino, Hyypia, Traore; Biscan; Partridge, Gerrard, Welsh, Foy; Sinama

Banik Ostrava (4-4-2); Pospisill; Pospech, Kovar, Klimpi, Postulka; Lukes, Bystron, Novotny, Cizek; Magera, Papadopoulos

1st Half

Min 3 - Freekick to Banik Ostrava, Cizek plays it sideways across the box to Bystron who ballons the ball over the bar.

Min 6 - Sinama is played through down the right wing by Partridge, he crosses to the near post where Gerrard has run into the box but his header is wide of the post.

Min 16 - Ostrava attack down the right through Lukes, he passes to Magera who's found some space infront of Hyypia and lets one fly.. over the bar.

Min 32 - Kirkland kicks the ball to Sinama, he dribbles towards the area but lays the ball off to Gerrard before the defender closes him down, Gerrard takes a shot but it deflects off Kovar but the Ostrava goalkeeper, somehow, manages to grab the ball before it rolls over the line.

Min 34 - Papadopulos gathers up the ball and passes out wide to Cizek who bombards down the left, he cuts back and and passes to Novotny outside the area, he shoots but a touch wide.

Min 35 - Novotny repays the favour to Papadopoulos by playing him through but he decides to shoot rather then proceed forward, shot was wide.

Goal! - In the 38th minute Steven Gerrard shows his class, he takes a free kick short to Foy down the wing, Foy passes back and receives the ball again, Foy feints a cross and passes to Gerrard just outside the area, Gerrard then bends it past the keeper from 25 yards, brilliant goal, 1-0!

2nd Half

Min 48 - Same situation with Gerrard and Foy again but this time he opts to shot it towards the near post rather then curv it to the far post but this time the Ostrava keeper is equal to it.

Min 70 - I sub Welsh, Sinama and Foy for Alonso, Cisse and Kewell. Not bad subs eh ? icon_wink.gif

Min 73 - Cizek has the ball on the wing and plays it centrally to Svoboda, he is immediatly surrounded by 3 Liverpool but manages to get a shot off, quite poor shot thou.

Final Whistle Is Blown And Liverpool Are Through To The Next Round

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

First of all Daniel, congratulations, are you happy?

Thank you and yes I am very happy and looking forward to Friday to see who we get in our group.

Any opponents your looking for or not lokoing for ?

I don't really care, sooner or later you have to meet whoever is good whether it's in the group or knockout.

What can you say about Steven Gerrard ?

I think he summed up what he's all about on the pitch today. Drive, ambition, determination and world class are just some of the words to describe him.

You learn anything new about the second string players?

Not really. I know what they are about and that they are capable of putting in performances like this.

UEFA Champions League 2004/05 Groups

*hope this works*

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Valencia | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Inter | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | PSV | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Olympiakos | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | R. Madrid | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | M. Haifa | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Werder Bremen | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Fenerbahçe | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Porto | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Liverpool | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Paris | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Rosenborg | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Deportivo | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Roma | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Chelsea | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Club Brugge | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Juventus | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Celtic | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | APOEL | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 1st | | Man Utd | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 2nd | | Panathinaikos | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Ajax | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Dinamo Kiev | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 1st | | Barcelona | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 2nd | | FC Bayern | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Hajduk | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Anderlecht | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 1st | | Milan | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 2nd | | Lyon | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 3rd | | Leverkusen | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| 4th | | Benfica | | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

</pre>

*phew*

Taylor Very Happy With Draw

I feel that we are very lucky to get a group we got. We have former winners Porto who I feel are not as good when Mourinho was there. We have Rosenborg who have never gotten past the group stage but all credit that they are there. And then we have Paris who can be an outsider I guess but we'll make sure they're put out into the UEFA Cup. I'd have to say that Chelsea have a harder group then us but I'm going to focus on this and hopefully we can finish top.

Cheers Supa playa

Keegan Hails Taylor As Good Manager

Alot of first teamers are fit and well for this fixture and only Hamann is missing. Morientes is back in training but is a tad unfit.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

Keegan has said you are a good manager and you are destined for great things at Liverpool, your reaction?

Well I have to thank Kevin for the nice words and I think that if there's one manager to keep Citeh up it's Kevin. I wish him all the best in his season.

The bookies are unanimous, this one is in the bag. What do you say?

I say it's not as easy as they predict. There is a "small" matter of the 90 minutes but the players are fit and raring to go today.

Hamann still injured, big blow today?

Well Hamann plays so well in the anchor role but I feel Biscan has done enough to impress me as anchor so far. I definatly think he can handle it.

It's been quiet during the transfer market for you personally, no good players out there?

Well Rafa bought players before me but I'm not one to critise, they are good players and I feel the current squad is good enough to win the Premiership.

Saturday 28th August, 12.45. City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester.

Premiership

Manchester City 0

Liverpool 2, Cisse 26 69

MOM - Cisse

Att: 47884

Manchester City (4-4-2); James; Jihai, Dunne, Distin, Thatcher; Wright-Phillips, McManaman, Reyna, Sinclair; Sibierski, Fowler

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Biscan; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

1st Half

Min 3 - Training ground exercised throw in, Riise throws long to Garcia who heads the ball to Alonso who sets up Carra outside the box but his shot is well wide.

Goal! - In the 26th minute Carragher wins a header inside his own box against Fowler, he heads to Garcia who dribbles past Thatcher, he then lays off to Cisse who is instantly closed down by Distan, he plays a 1-2 and is free down the right, he closes in on James and strikes it low past the keeper's left, 1-0!

Min 30 - Cornor by Reyna is headed out but Distin gathers up and shoots from outside the box, hits the sidenetting!

Min 31 - Alonso gets the ball from Biscan and hits a lovely ball over the top of the City defenders for Cisse to run on, he gathers the ball and shots again low and to the keepers left but James saves it this time and Distin clears.

Min 33 - Biscan wins a header against Wright-Phillips and heads it to Kewell down the wing, he centres it to Cisse who passes to his left to Garcia who takes a shot but it curves just over.

2nd Half

Min 54 - City pass the ball about quite well and Fowler gets it just to the left outside the area, he tries and shot and Dudek spills but Carra is there to clear it.

Min 56 - Counter attack by Liverpool after a City free kick, Finnan is ahead of everyone else on the right wing, he centres it to Cisse who takes the ball into the area by himself, the City defenders are nowhere near him and James has to save it to keep City in this match.

Min 59 - Riise wins the ball against Wright Phillips, he plays it to Kewell who dribbles down the wing, he passes centrally to Alonso who tees up Gerrard, Gerrard bends it towards goal and it's so so close for the skipper.

Min 60 - Musampa wins a header against Finnan and heads it down to Fowler, Fowler shots on the volley and again Dudek spills it but manages to dive on loose ball.

Min 63 - Cisse wins the ball off Dunne, 1-2's with Kewell and he's free down the left, he dribbles inwards, shoots! But it's deflected off Distin for a cornor. The cornor is played in, it goes past everyone but Gerrard who smashes it hard! But Jihai is there to clear off the line.

Min 67 - Cisse with the ball, passes right to Garcia and his turn lays it off to a centrally positioned Alonso who takes 2 touches on the ball before wacking it towards goal, so close!

Goal! - In the 69th minute, Hyypia wins a header without competition, he heads it down to Alonso, he passes forward to Cisse, he has both Distin and Dunne on his back, he goes inbetween them, shoots and scores! James was on it but it was way too hard to keep out, 2-0, Cisse's 5th of the season!

Min 70 - Kewell, Gerrard and Cisse off, Partridge, Pellegrino and Sinama on.

Min 86 - Sinama has the ball on the left wing, Riise has taken Sinama's position as striker, he passes Riise, he's tackled but the loose ball is picked up by Alonso who aim's for the top left cornor, but it's just shaven the bar.

Final Whistle

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Great result Daniel and Cisse looks as if he's coming into some form?

Yeah it was a great result from the lads today, we were stable at the back and going forward we were very creative.

What can you say about Cisse after a performance like that?

Well so far he's played 5 games and returned 5 goals so I'm very happy for him but I still think he misses some easy opportunities sometimes.

Currently battling with Chelsea for first place, how do think their season has gone so far?

Too early to draw conclusions but yes their start has been good but we'll bring them down to earth when they come to Anfield

Next up, Newcastle, 3 points in the bag ?

Yes. Noone comes to Anfield and grabs any points off us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kennedy:

I like the interview style. Might be stealing that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problems. There is no single rights, is there? icon_biggrin.gif

No No No No, Let Carra Take It!

A full team to choose from but I decided to rest Hamann who'd just gotten back from injury and since Biscan was doing a very good job in the anchor role he deserved another match. In other news, Kewell was runner up to player of the month (behind Giggs) which I found a bit odd because Cisse was banging them in left, right and centre. Jose Mourinho won manager of the month and I was runner up..

Wednesday 1st September, 19.30. Anfield, Liverpool.

Premiership

Liverpool 2, Garcia 53, Carra pen 87

Newcastle 0

MOM - Boumsong

Att: 45318

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Biscan; Garcia; Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

Newcastle (4-4-2); Given; Carr, Hughes, Boumsong, Simunic; Dyer, Jenas, Butt, Robert; Shearer, Kluivert

1st Half

Min 13 - A long ball from Simunic over the top of our defence finds Kluivert a takes the ball down superbly, dribbles into the area, Carra tackles him, the ball finds it way to Robert who shoots, deflects off Carra for a cornor.

Min 31 - Finnan intercepts a pass to Kluivert on the right, finds Gerrard on the half way line, he holds off Butt, throughs it to Cisse who feints right but goes to the right of Boumsong, shoots! But way over the bar! Terrible effort.

Min 34 - Riise finds no options forward, he plays back to Hyypia who finds Kewell on the left, the ball is played too high but Kewell manages to head it down to Cisse who dribbles past Hughes, he shoots, but wide of the left post.

Half-Time!

I had a right go at Cisse in the locker room. He'd had two easy chances to stick away the ball and with his record so far in the premiership, he should have. I told him that he has 15 minutes to show me more or else he's off.

2nd Half

Goal! - In the 53rd minute, we are awarded a cornor, Alonso takes it, it's clear by Hughes but Gerrard gathers it up outside the area, he lays it out to the cornor-taker Alonso who centres it to the half-circle, Garcia on the volley, GOAL! The whole Liverpool bench gets up and cheers, the fans go wild! 1-0 to the Reds, great goal!

Min 54 - Another Garcia chances, he's on a high! Gerrard finds him on the right wing, feints to cross with his right foot and lays it to his left and takes a shot, it goes inches wide of the left post and Given didn't move.

Min 72 - Subs: Kewell, Alonso and Cisse off and Pellegrino, Partridge and Morientes comes on, the fans stand up to welcome Morientes to Anfield.

Min 81 - Garcia, who's playing centrally in midfield, finds his partner Gerrard to his right, Gerrard looks for Morientes but his pass is cut out by Dyer, Dyer passes back to Given who goes to belt it, but it hits Morientes! But Given manages to rush back before it goes into the back of the net.

Min 84 - Foul by Finnan, he's booked and starts to run back to his position, Simunic hits the ball at him by mistake and Liverpool counter, Finnan passes to Morientes who holds the ball well and passes to an overlapping Gerrard who bears down on Given, shoots! But Given saves!

Goal! - Newcastle have free kick outside the Liverpool area in the 87th minute, Riise intercepts the pass to Kluivert, he bombards down the left holding off both Hughes and Simunic wonderfully, he crosses the ball in hope that someone is in the area, it goes past the penalty spot and it becomes a race between Given and Partridge, Given goes in two footed and catches Partridge, surely a red card! But no, only yellow but a penalty is awarded, obviously. Luis Garcia goes up to take it but at this point I get up and yell "NO!! Carra to take it!!", I thought Carra's performance deserved a chance to score. Garcia looked more pleased then disappionted to give the ball to Carra. Carra, with the KOP infront of him puts the ball on the spot, the referee is still having words with Given, Partridge is receiving treatment on the sidelines for that malicious tackle. Carra has raw determination in his eyes, he runs up, strikes it left, Given dives to the left, but the penalty is too good and 2-0!! The crowd go wild and Carra runs out with his arms in the air towards the KOP.

Messias blows for full time

What a way to end the game, a true Liverpoodlian ends the game with his first goal in 7 years. A true kodak moment!

Bookies Say Liverpool Have No Chance Of Winning The Champions League

Yes it's true, Liverpool are 18-1 outsiders of winning it. Might put my weeks wages on that icon_biggrin.gif Anyway back to the match at hand. Riise came back from his international duties with a chest injury so Traore had to be moved into central defence. Hyypia said he was very tired after his international so he's rested for Pellegrino.

Saturday 11th September, 15.00. Anfield, Liverpool.

Premiership

Liverpool 2, Alonso 77, Garcia 90

Birmingham 0

MOM - Garcia

Att: 45137

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Pellegrino, Traore; Hamann; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

Birmingham (4-4-2); Taylor; Melchiot, Cunningham, Upson, Clapham; Pennant, Nafti, Carter, Lazaridis; Morrison, Pandiani

1st Half

As the game started Paco turned around to me on the bench and thought I had a concerned expression on my face. I explained that both Riise and Hyypia's absent could cause an upset in the defence. But I said that Pellegrino is very experienced so he should be able to hold it together.

Min 15 - Pandiani sends a free kick from 30 yards over the bar. Very close to an upset.

Time flew through this half and it seemed like a deadlock between the teams. Birmingham had only one mission, 0-0. At halftime I explained to the lads that Birmingham had no attack so I asked Garcia and Kewell to push further upfield. Both Finnan and Hamann explained that the Birmingham players were playing very rough today and that both had suffered knocks. I asked if they could play on and both nodded very determined.

2nd Half

The second half started as the first one really, Birmingham happy to defend and they were defending well.

Goal! It took 77 minutes to break the deadlock! Taylor sent a freekick down the pitch which Pellegrino happily headed down to Cisse, Cisse passed it back to Hamann who passed even further back to Pellegrino, he then passed Finnan who sent a long ball to Garcia, he headed to down to Cisse who took it down the right wing, crossed it to the halfcircle and Alonso smashes it into the top left cornor on the goal to score his first goal for the club! 1-0, and I gave the thumbs up to Alonso. Straight after the goal I told Josemi, Welsh and Morientes to get their overalls off, Cisse, Finnan and Hamann were coming off.

Min 87 - Yet another free kick from Taylor was headed by Pellegrino to Alonso, he held onto the ball and picked out Steven Gerrards forward run perfectly, Gerrard bore down on goal, shot low, but Taylor is equal to it and Upson cleared for a throw in on the left.

Goal! - The clock just hit 90 minutes on the dot when Garcia buried one of his piledrivers! Another long ball was headed down by Pellegrino to Alonso, he found a free Garcia on the right who bent it from the edge of the box into the top left cornor. Pure Class, 2-0 and the fans are again very satisfied costumers!

Full Time!

In the lockeroom after the game there was only smiles. I congratulated Alonso on his first goal for the club and I then looked at Garcia and just smiled. No words were spoken, we just had this understanding that I was very happy for him, and he already knew that. I told the lads that they'd done brilliantly this week and I didn't expect to see them at the training ground tomorrow. Have the day off!

And They Say The Weather In England Is Bad?

After the players had been out celebrating the good start to the season it was back to normal at the club, and the focus on Rosenborg away. We went to Trondheim on the Monday and started training. The only player not to come with us was Hamann who picked up a slight shoulder injury against Birmingham, nothing serious thou. Cisse got injured on the Monday training in Norway and would not be participating against Rosenborg. Riise was still not fit enough but made the trip anyway just in case.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

No Riise, No Ciise, No Hamann, are you concerned?

Of course there is a bit of concern since these three are first teamers but as I've said before we have adequate cover.

This is Morientes first game from the start, how is his fitness?

Still not match fit but where else can you get fitness from unless your playing ? I believe in his ability and I'm sure he'll do well today.

Do you feel any threat from Rosenborg?

None at all to be honest, I feel that the Scandinavium teams are nothing compared to the teams from, say, England, Spain or Italy.

Good luck today.

Tuesday 14th September, 19.45. Lerkendal Stadion, Trondheim.

UEFA Champions League Grp C

Rosenborg 0

Liverpool 2, Garcia 2, Alonso 47

MOM - Dudek

Att: 22485

Rosenborg (4-4-2); Martinsen; Basma, Hoftun, Riseth, Dorsin; Strand, Berg, Winsnes, Braaten; Johnsen, Helstad

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore; Biscan; Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell; Morientes

1st Half

Both teams marched out onto the pitch for the beginning of THE biggest club competition in Europe, probably the world. As me, staff and the subs took to the bench I looked up into the sky as the drops of rain hit my face I looked over to Paco who also was looking into the sky. He looked at me and I said "And they say the weather in England is bad?". He just smiled as referee Tokat blew for the first half.

Goal! - Just 2 minutes into the game! Hyypia, Carra and Finnan were all passing the ball amonst them in defence when then Finnan picked out Garcia beautifully on the right wing, he dribbled down the right and just when you expect he's going to cross, he smashes it into the left hand of the goal! A deja vu from the Birmingham game! 1-0, Garcia's 5th of the season and Liverpool are off to a great start!

Min 5 - Rosenborg look for an early reply, attack goes through Strand on the right, who find Johnsen infront of the penalty area, he shoots! Deflects off Carra but finds itself to Helstad who shoots straight at Dudek! Finnan clears to a cornor.

Min 9 - Hoftun's free-kick from 25 yards is high and wide.

Min 28 - Counter attack by Rosenborg after a poor Gerrard free kick, the ball is played out wide left to Helstad who runs towards goal, luckily three Liverpool defenders have recovered and Carra puts pressure on Helstad and he ballons a shot over the bar.

The rest of the first half, creditedly goes to Rosenborg who tried their best to get through our defense but we are always there in numbers.

At halftime confidence was high, the players barely looked tired and we were in control. I looked and Garcia and said "Can you do that every match or something?" He smiled and said "Play me every game and we'll see."

2nd Half

Min 46 - Right from the off Traore wins a header against Strand, it goes to Kewell who dribbles upfield, Morientes comes to meet, he receives the ball, passes centrally to Gerrard who finds Garcia outside the box, he volleys it but it goes over!

Goal! - After Garcia's chance came directly another! The goal kick was headed away by Traore, it found Kewell again who dribbled down the left, this time he finds Alonso outside the box, he shoots from 25 yards! Right in the top cornor! 2-0 and the travelling fans are loving the new spaniards!

Min 50 - A long ball to Garcia is cut out by the Rosenborg defence. The ball is played out to Braaten who goes down the right, he passes into Strand who takes a pop from 25 yards! Great save by Dudek who tips it over the bar!

Min 59 - Subs: Kewell and Morientes off, Partridge and Sinama on.

Min 69 - Sub: Garcia off for Foy.

Min 85 - Free kick by Rosenborg is headed to Partridge by Traore, he centres the ball for Sinama, Sinama passes back to Biscan who slices it through the defence back to Sinama, Sinama is 1-on-1 with the keeper who saves wonderfully and holds the ball.

Min 87 - Patridges infield pass is cut out by Brattback, he finds Johnsen infront of the Liverpool defence, Carra goes to close down, Johnsen gets the ball past and shoots towards goal, but it's well wide of Dudek's right post.

Min 90 - Strand upended Gerrard and he's had to come off. It looked very bad and a stretcher had to come on.

Full Time!

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Congratulations Daniel, another victory, this time in Europe.

Yes, great credit to Rosenborg thou, they tested Dudek a few times but the win was confortable.

The spaniards seem to be settling in nice, what can you say about the goals?

Great goals by great individuals. Garcia has done this numerous times now and Alonso seems to have hit his form. I'm very happy for them.

How is Steven Gerrard? The knock seemed very serious.

I won't know until tomorrow but it seemed quite bad, we'll just have to hope it's not too serious.

GERRARD BLOW FOR REDS

15th September 2004

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is set to miss next month's Premiership showdown with Chelsea through injury.

The English international faces a month out of action after picking up a knee injury in last nights's Champions League victory over Rosenborg.

Scans have shown Gerrard is suffering from a ligament problem and the news is a massive blow to Liverpool's Premiership hopes and their chances of keeping their first place in The Premiership.

"Stevie will be out for a month," said Reds boss Daniel Taylor. "He has a ligament problem and usually it takes at least four weeks to recover.

"Now we need to look at some of the youngsters who did so well in the pre season.

"I'd prefer not to talk too much about my options for the Tottenham game now because of the circumstances. I can plan to use players, but I have to make sure they are fit for fight," he told Liverpool's official website.

"I need to wait and keep my fingers crossed."

Sitting here with tears of joy in my eyes - Carra gets his first goal for years, you beat the Geordies, life just doesn't get better icon_smile.gif

Are you Rafa in disguise icon_biggrin.gif

This is a must read for all Liverpool fans, really good stuff icon14.gif

@ Supa Playa - I will once I've played some more games into the season. icon14.gif

@ jep - Thanks for the kind words!

"We Miss You Stevie"

We've had good time to prepare for the match at White Hart Lane with Gerrard and Cisse being our absantees. Morientes was'nt fit enough to start the game today which left a gamble in young Sinama-Pongolle. Other then that the team was the same as it's been all season.

Saturday 18th September, 15.00. White Hart Lane, London.

Premiership

Tottenham 2, Kanoute 45, King 88

Liverpool 3, Pongolle 4, Garcia 28, Pellegrino 81

MOM - Alonso

Att: 36153

Tottenham (4-4-2); Robinson; Pamarot, King, Naybet, Ziegler; Davies, Carrick, Mendes, Jackson; Defoe, Kanoute

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Biscan; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Sinama

1st Half

As I stepped out of the tunnel at White Hart Lane my first glance was over to the travelling fans where I saw this big banner saying "We Miss You Stevie". After shaking Jol's hand I decided to walk over and applaud the fans and I raise my fist as to say C'MON!

Goal! - It took 4 minutes for Sinama to make his statement! Carra's long ball is won in the air by Garcia against Ziegler, he heads it down to Hamann who squares it for Alonso, instead of shooting he served a ball into the box for Sinama who finishes cooly to Robinson's left! 1-0, so early in the game!

Min 11 - Davies comes down the right, Riise tackles the ball but Davies get's it back, crosses, meets Defoe's head but it flies high over the bar.

Min 20 - Dudek's free kick is won in the air by Alonso against Pamarot, he heads to down the left wing for Kewell, he takes it to the byline, crosses far post to Alonso who's taken a central position, he heads it! But it sails over the bar.

Goal! - Alonso takes a cornor from the right 28 minutes in, it goes inbetween Carrick and Pamarot and Garcia gets it free in the 6 yard box, and smashes it hard in the goal beside helpless Robinson! Get in there! 2-0!

Min 31 - Hyypia wins Robinsons clearence clean in the air, he heads it down for Hamann who 1 touch sends it right to Garcia, he advances with the ball and tries a long shot from 30 yards! But it curves wide and high of Robinson's right post.

Min 35 - Garcia again involved in the action! Finnan wins the ball off Brown outside Tottenhams area, he cuts it back for Hamann who squares it for Garcia who takes a pop! But Robinson pulls off a great save!

Min 40 - Tottenham get a free kick outside the area, it's cleared by Carra but Ziegler sends it left to Jackson, he crosses for Defoe who gets a head to it! It hit the bar!! Cleared by Riise.

Goal! - Mistake by Dudek! Ziegler takes a freekick form within the Tottenham half, Dudek goes to claim but Kanoute gets a head to it before Dudek arrives and the ball goes over the Pole, 1-2! Right on the stroke of half time!

2nd Half

Min 55 - Sinama's got the ball infront of the Tottenham defence, he decides to pass Kewell, Kewell switches flanks with a great 30 yard pass, Garcia hits it on the volley! But it's high over the bar!

Min 64 - Subs: Hyypia, Kewell and Sinama off. Morientes, Pellegrino and Partridge on. Hyypia had picked up a knock in the second half and I didn't want the injury to get any worse.

Goal! - Partridges cornor from the right finds Pellegrino at the near post on the 81st minute, he rises above King and heads it into the top right cornor! 3-1!! Great goal for the sub who grabs his first goal for Liverpool!

Min 83 - Long ball from Naybet is headed down to Biscan by Finnan, but it's intercepted by Defoe! He catches the defence off guard and takes a pop from 25 yards! But it sails over the bar! That was enough for the Tottenham fans, they started to leave the stadium whilst the Liverpool fans sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" and it echoed over the whole stadium.

Goal! - 88 minutes into the match and the defence are sleeping, a cornor from Brown on the right finds King at the penalty spot, he strikers it very cooly into the back of the net out of Dudek's reach, 2-3! Could there be a comeback ?

Min 93 - Alonso steals the ball off Defoe by the halfway line on the left, he passes forward to Partridge, he takes the ball down the left wing, passes centrally to Morientes who holds the ball, crosses to the far post, Garcia on the volley! Great save again by Robinson! And with that, the final whistle blows!

This will be the last update until Monday. Going away for the weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supa playa:

Thanks for that, just wondering how well you were doing in the league.

Keep up the good work icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

atm I'm second behind Chelsea on goal diffrence but only by 2 goals icon_frown.gif Next game however is Chelsea at home at "Fort" Anfield icon_wink.gif See you guys on Monday!

Spurs Come To "Fort" Anfield For Carling Cup Third Round

Yes it's true, Spurs are coming to Anfield for the 3rd round of the most useless cup in England. I was actually hoping for a team in the lower leagues but that never happened.

In training the day after I had a small chat with Kirkland. I told him that I knew that he had'nt had alot of chances to prove himself but I told him that the Carling Cup was his, if he was fit. Kirkland said he was delighted that he finally could show me what he is really made of. I knew that him and Dudek are very comparable and are both good keepers.

Anyway, back to the match in hand. The Blues had travelled to Liverpool to take on the only team, except from them, that hadn't lost this year.. yet. Cisse was unfit for this game so I decided to give "El' Moro" a run in. Riise and Gerrard were out injured so Traore and Biscan keep their places in the first team.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

First off, the big absentee must be Gerrard in a game like this?

Off course. He is a worldclass player, these are two world class teams playing in a world class fixture. But I believe in Biscan's ability this season as midfielder and he hasn't disappoionted so far.

Riise and Cisse gone aswell, that's 3 players missing from your starting eleven, how's that effecting todays match?

Of course they are very good players but we have a very good squad and Traore, Moro and Biscan know what I expect of them. You are forgetting aswell, there is a 12th player today and that's the fans.

Both you and Chelsea haven't lost yet. After todays game, will that still be the case?

No. As I've said numerous times before, there is no team taking any points from this stadium and that goes for all the teams in the world.

If you win today then you will go 3 points clear so early on in the season, how's that feel?

The team deserve it, they have been playing out of this world and deserve to be first. Chelsea, Mourinho and Roman don't scare me at all and I see us winning by a large margin this afternoon.

Thanks and good luck today!

Saturday 25th September, 12.45. Anfield, Liverpool

Premiership

Liverpool 3 Garcia 35, Sinama 59 72

Chelsea 1 Gudjohnsen 71

MOM - Garcia

Att: 45350

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore; Biscan; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Morientes

Chelsea (4-3-3); Cech; Ferreira, Gallas, Huth, Bridge; Makelele, Lampard, Duff; Drogba, Luque, Kezman

1st Half

My best experience as Liverpool manager so far. The feeling is indiscribable when walking out of the tunnel onto the pitch and greeted by a full stadium who are singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". It sends not only one shiver, but a thousand down your spine and it gives you a sense of comfort ahead of this important fixture. The only thing that ruined the day was the rain which was pouring down from the skies.

As for the game it started as I expected, both teams "feeling" each other and being very cautious.

Min 21 - Good counter by Liverpool. Chelsea had a cornor on the left and it was cut out by Kewell. He found Alonso ahead of him at the halfway line, he held onto the ball and anvanced down the right flank, he found Garcia outside the area who tries a long shot! He however slices the very wet ball and it goes comfortably into Cech's hands.

Goal! - Garcia, who else ? A long ball is cut out by Finnan who heads it down to Carragher, he finds Hamann in midfield who with just one touch slices it ahead of Garcia on the right flank, he dribbles inwards, feints Cech to the ground and puts it past the helpless keeper! 1-0! The stadium is literally rocking!

Min 37 - Chelsea go for a quick reply, a throw in on the left is taking short to Luque by Bridge, he crosses into the box where Drogba wins the ball in the air against Carra, so close!

Min 38 - Free kick in the Chelsea half taken by Cech, long to Drogba who again wins itin the air against Carra, he heads it to the left flank to Kezman, he crosses to Drogba who makes a run into the box, he heads it! Narrowly over again!

Min 45 - Cornor by Duff on the left, finds Drogba at the far post, he heads it across goal! Lampard can't miss at the other post! But Finnan cuts it off the line!

At halftime Traore said he was having a very touch time against Kezman. I asked him whether it was because I was asking him to go forward when we've got the ball. He nodded. I told him to solely concentrate on taking Kezman out of the game. I knew Mourinho would of analysed the game and seen that Traore was having a tough time. I said to Traore if he is still having problems that I would sub him.

2nd Half

Min 54 - Morientes was looking knackered and I had my concerns over him. He wasn't getting anywhere near fit. I subbed him for Sinama.

Goal! - Superb goal by the substitute 59 minutes in! Traore tackled the ball off Kezman, Carra gathered it up, passed to Hamann in midfield, he had no options so he passed back to Hyypia, long ball from Hyypia to Kewell on the left, he heads down to Sinama who is outside the box, he runs up agianst Huth, feints right but goes left, Huth is totally lost now, Sinama is free in the box! He shoots low and hard and Cech is nowhere near it! 2-0!

Min 60 - After the goal I decided to rest Kewell for the next game, he's off for Partridge.

Min 67 - Sinama shows his skills as he powers his way down the left with great pace. He finds Partridge centrally just outside the box, Partridge returns the pass beautifully back into the box, Sinama cuts it back to the spot to Hamann, he's all alone, only Cech to beat! But he blazes it over!! Hamann hangs his head in shame, he knew how easy it was.

Goal! - Instead of being 3-0 up, we conceded a silly goal in the 71st minute. We got a freekick on the halfway line, Hamann miss kicks it and it goes straight to Kezman in the wall, he sees Luque running out wide on the left, Chelsea are now 3 on 2 in the Liverpool half. Luque crosses into the box, deflects off Finnan, Dudek tries to claim but Gudjohnsen pokes the ball before Dudek gets there, 1-2 to Chelsea! I decided to sub Alonso for Welsh at that point.

Goal! - The quickest reply in history? Right from the kick off we reply to Chelsea's goal! The ball was with Biscan, he found Hamann in midfield, he found Welsh on his left, Welsh's first touch on the ball is a ball to Sinama outside the area, Sinama wacks it! It curves way past Cech's left and right into the top cornor! What a goal by Sinama!! 3-1! The fans stand up, clap and chant "Easy! Easy! Easy!".

Min 80 - Chelsea look beaten at this point but they keep going. Makelele tries a shot from 25 yards out but it ballons way over the bar.

Min 91 - Lampard slices open the Liverpool defence with a perfect ball to Gudjohnsen, he's in the box! Great tackle by Carra! But the ball finds Luque who crosses to Lampard, he's free in the box! Shoots low! Deflected off Hyypia for a cornor. 3 minutes extra time.

Min 93 - Pressure from Chelsea, a throw in on the left is taken by Bridge to Luque, cross to the far post, hit on the volley by Tiago! Great save by Dudek! That was the last thing to happen in this great and entertaining game!

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Great game today Daniel! You are joined here by the man of the match Garcia, how do you feel now you've won Daniel?

Great! It was a great game for the neutral and we fully deserve it, we played Chelsea off the park

Garcia, you've been playing well recently and you've scored again, how do you do it?

Well it was a team effort today, I was very tired towards the end but the fans here carry you and you forget your tired. Without the fans today we couldn't of done it.

Daniel, what can you say about this player?

Well he deserves all the praise he gets. He has been our best player in the last 5-6 games and always grabs a goal and he has contributed greatly for our league position

Top of the league, 3 points clear. Your reactions?

As I said before the game, we deserve to be there, we have fought bravely, we've scored in every game and we concede almost nothing. How Chelsea could of been so high up and played so badly today is beyond me.

Thank you guys and go easy on the party tonight

FANS LOVE GARCIA

25th September 2004

Fans have said to be delighted with in-form Garcia so far this season

An article in the Liverpool Echo said that fans argueably think Garcia is the prem's best player at the moment. His displays have been setting the world alight and surely a call up to the Spanish national team would be the greatest and deserved award for the attacking midfielder. Fans have said to be delighted to have such a player at Anfield and that the performances have been a joy to watch. Liverpool legend Alan Hansen had this to say, "He's definatly one of the best midfielders in the prem. Great technique and could do the unexpected and it's something Liverpool have missed in recent years. He also grabs goals and that's important when strikers don't score goals that a midfielder can come in, score a 30 yarder and save three points. I hope he gets a call up soon

FANS LOVE GARCIA

25th September 2004

Fans have said to be delighted with in-form Garcia so far this season

An article in the Liverpool Echo said that fans argueably think Garcia is the prem's best player at the moment. His displays have been setting the world alight and surely a call up to the Spanish national team would be the greatest and deserved award for the attacking midfielder. Fans have said to be delighted to have such a player at Anfield and that the performances have been a joy to watch. Liverpool legend Alan Hansen had this to say, "He's definatly one of the best midfielders in the prem. Great technique and could do the unexpected and it's something Liverpool have missed in recent years. He also grabs goals and that's important when strikers don't score goals that a midfielder can come in, score a 30 yarder and save three points. I hope he gets a call up soon

Can Garcia Make It 6 In A Row?

We stay in Liverpool to host Paris St Germain this evening in the Champions League. Cisse is declared fit but not Riise so Traore and Biscan keep their places. Cisse is'nt unfamiliar with Paris and said that on the road they are not so good.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

Daniel, Cisse's back, what does that mean to you?

Alot for several reasons. He is very important and can score loads of goals. He also has experience of scoring against Paris. Moro has still not hit any sort of fitness so it was important to get a fit striker today.

With your record so far at home, this should be a walk-over?

You bet, Paris should be aware of this and should not expect any points from this tie.

If Garcia scores tonight that will make it 6 matches in a row. You think that'll happen?

He is in form and he'll get his chances. It's just a case of sticking them away. I wouldn't bet on him NOT scoring tonight thou.

Wednesday 29th September, 19.45. Anfield, Liverpool.

Champions League Group C

Liverpool 3 Alonso 13, Sinama 80, Garcia 83

Paris 0

MOM - Hamann

Att: 40053

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore; Biscan; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

Paris (4-4-2); Alonzo; Pichot, Helder Marino, Yepes, Mendy; Semak, Cisse, Cana, Boskovic; Reinaldo, Pauleta

1st Half

Min 8 - Hyypia tackles the ball off Reinaldo, He passes it left to Kewell, he dribbles down the left, Cisse runs to the left to draw his marker away, Kewell passes centrally to Garcia, he shoots! It curves towards the left cornor! Brilliant save by Alonzo! He cooley clears it.

Goal! - 13 minutes in! Hamman intercepts a pass from Cana to Pauleta, he passes forward to Cisse. He advances without anyone closing him down, he runs down the right wing, he centres it to Alonso who's outside the box, he shoots! Curling towards the right top cornor! 1-0!! Great goal by Alonso but credit has to go to Cisse to have picked him out.

Min 15 - Garcia with the ball on the right, loses his marker, passes to Hamann centrally, he throughs it to Cisse, Cisse is one on one with the keeper, shoots! Great save by Alonzo!

Min 18 - Reinaldo gets free down the left, he passes centrally to Pauleta who runs outside down the wing with the ball, shoots from range! Well well wide..

Min 21 - Pauleta free kick slightly outside left of the penalty area. But he curves it high and wide!

Min 33 - Free kick to Cisse in the same sort of position as Pauleta had but his effort is just over the bar!

Min 34 - Biscan intercepts a pass and set Kewell on his way down the left, he takes the ball out on the wing, passes centrally to Alonso who takes a shot! Curves again to the right top cornor! But this time Alonzo is equal to it, great save!

Min 37 - Long ball from Carra finds Cisse running in behind the defence, he back heels it to Garcia who one times the shot from the edge of the box! Again a great save from Alonzo!

Min 44 - Hamann's got the ball outside the box, passes left to Alonso, he plays a one-two with Kewell, Alonso is free against the keeper! He fires the ball towards goal! Great save again by Alonzo, he's keeping Paris in this single handedly.

2nd Half

Min 48 - We start the second half as we've been playing all the game, attacking! Kewell gets down the left flank. He goes for the cross, but it curves towards goal instead of inwards! Great save again by Alonzo! I doubt Kewell ment that.

Min 51 - Biscan finds Alonso in midfield, he draws Yepes out of the Paris defence, he slides the ball behind Yepes to Cisse, he bares down on goal! But the shot is way too weak and Alonzo makes his easiest save of the game, lovely move by 'Pool thou.

Min 57 - Carra intercepts another pass to Pauleta, he cooly plays it back to Dudek who finds Kewell with a great ball to the left. He passes centrally to Cisse who runs with the ball, he gets to the area, passes right to Garcia who shoots a long shot! Again, great save by Alonzo! Kewell and Cisse come off for Partridge and Sinama.

Min 63 - Hyypia wins the ball off Semak and plays Biscan. Biscan, with one touch, finds Partridge out left, Partridge passes inwards to Alonso who one touches it out wide left to Sinama, Simana dribbles the ball down the byline towards goal, cuts it back to Alonso infront of goal, shoots! Great save by Alonzo on the line!

Min 67 - Alonso is looking tired so I subbed him for Welsh.

Min 75 - Finnan has the ball on the halfway line, finds Biscan centrally, lays off to Welsh who gets rid of his marker, shoots! But way wide. I bet Alonzo was happy not to make yet another save.

Min 77 - Sinama wins a header after a paris throw in, finds Hamann centrally, he one touches out to the right flank where Garcia is totally unmarked, hits it beautifully on the half volley! Great save by Alonzo agian!! At this point I thought it was rediculous, how can he possibly make all those saves?!

Goal! - Finally!! It took 80 minutes for the second to go past a fab Alonzo. Sinama got a throw from Finnan on the right, he makes Bosokvic look like fool, he dribbles towards the line but then turns the other way to make Boskovic slide right into the Paris subs bench, he then left to Biscan, he then finds Hamann infront of the area, Sinama overlaps, Hamann backheels it, Sinama is one on one with the keeper, shoots to the keepers left! 2-0!! Great goal by Liverpool! His 5th of the season was a beauty!

Goal! - It took 83 minutes for Garcia to wave his magic wand! Welsh's free kick is cleared, he gathers it up himself, passes to Partridge, Partridge passes inwards to Biscan, he passes to Welsh, he then finds Hamann infield, the Paris midfielders are looking like headless chickens with all this great passing, Hamann finds Garcia on the right edge of the box, he takes it down, shoots! Curls past Alonzo for 3-0!! What a strike!! He runs out to the Kop with his thumb in his mouth. The fans absolutly love him! The photographers cameras go off in flashes like a severe case of lightning.

Min 91 - Chance for Paris for some sort of consulation. A Paris free kick is cleared, Cana gathers up and tries a long shot from 25 yards and it just shaves the bar! So so close for Cana.

Full Time

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Congratulations, you seem to be really making your mark in the Prem.

A truely magical night, I feel that this game really showed everyone out there that noone messes with this team and that the spirit is very high in the camp.

Garcia did it again. That makes 6 matches in a row.

As I said before the game, I wouldn't bet on him NOT scoring and against WBA this weekend he has another great chance to score. He is showing his qualities this season. I'm very happy for him and I hope he gets a call up from Spain.

Porto won over Rosenborg, that puts you infront with 2 points ahead of Porto. Next game is Porto at home, do you feel some advantage?

Definatly, I know Porto are reigning champions but without Carvalho, Deco and Ferreira and indeed Mourinho they aren't even half the team they were last year. I'm very confident with the group and that we'll win it very early on.

Well again congratulations and all the luck against West Brom.

Cheers!

Daniel Taylor is Manager of The Month for September.

Yes and well deserved too because I'd won all my September games and Garcia won goal of the month award against Birmingham.

WBA at home I thought was going to be quite an easy fixture so I decided to rest two key players. Hyypia and Garcia gave way to Partridge and Pellegrino. Cisse had picked up a light injury in training and was replaced by Morientes. Gerrard was still out so Biscan carries on in anchor midfield.

Saturday 2nd October, 15.00. Anfield, Liverpool.

Premiership

Liverpool 2 Kewell 37, Riise 67

West Brom 0

MOM - Albrechtsen

Att: 45318

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Pellegrino, Riise; Biscan; Partridge, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Morientes

West Brom (4-5-1); Johnsen; Albrechtsen, Gaardsoe, Moore, Robinson; Gera, Koumas, Kanu, Greening, Clement; Earnshaw

1st Half

Almost a sell out crowd came to see us play against relegation candidates West Brom. The game went underway and it was clear what West Brom wanted. They played defensive, narrow and with 5 players in midfield. Talk about parking the bus.

Min 26 - Riise has a free kick on the left side, chips it into the area, headed away by Albrechtsen, Riise gathers up, squares for Hamann outside the area, hits it first time! hits the bar!!

Goal! - It took 37 minutes to bust the West Brom defence. West Brom had a throw in on the left, Biscan broke it all up and passed Partridge right of our own area, he found Hamann furhter up field, he then found Kewell on the halfway line, Kewell dribbled inwards, found Morientes to the right, he then found Alonso outside the area, he took on Albrechtsen, Albrechtsen tackled the ball but Alonso got it back, shoots! Johnsen saves! Kewell gathers the rebound, slides it past an out of position Johnsen, 1-0!! Kewell's first of the season!!

Min 45 +4 - Far into extra time Finnan found Partridge on the right wing with a perfect ball. Partridge dribbled into the area, struck it low! Crept past the far post! So close!

2nd Half

Min 47 - Riise wins a header against Gera, heads to Kewell, he takes it down the left, finds Alonso centrally, Alonso can take his pick, he picks Partridge on the right, Partridge shoots on the volley! High and wide!

Min 52 - Kewell's looking tired and is replaced by Traore. Riise moves to left wing and Traore down to left fullback.

Min 59 - Morientes is looking fitter but is replaced by Sinama after 59 minutes.

Min 64 - Traore wins a header against Gera, heads it to Riise, he takes it down the left wing, crosses to the other wing to Partrige, he looses his man! Shoots! Way wide of Johnsen's right post.

Min 64 - Alonso is replaced by young Welsh in midfield.

Goal! - 67 minutes in and Riise grabs his first this season! Carra wins a header against Kanu, heads it to Partridge, he plays it all the way back to Dudek who strikes it first time, it slices it's way past the West Brom defenders through to Riise, he takes it down, blasts it on his left past Johnsen! 2-0! Great goal and great pass from Dudek!

Min 86 - Carragher dwells on the ball and Kanu nicks it off him, he is quickly closed down by both Carra and Finnan and his shot goes well wide.

Half Time!

Garcia NOT Called Up For Spanish Friendly

Garcia, arguably the best midfielder in the Prem so far didn't get called up for a spanish friendly. I thought it was shambles to be honest. I knew the player couldn't feel very good about that but I told him to keep on playing the way he was and he'd get called up sooner or later.

Hyypia and Garcia are back in the starting eleven but Cisse is still nuturing a small knock but should be ok for the match against Norwich at the weekend. Morientes keeps his place and so does Biscan.

Wednesday 6th October, 19.30. Selhurst Park, London.

Premiership

Crystal Palace 1 Watson 6

Liverpool 3 Kewell 13, Welsh 69, Garcia 87

MOM - Hyypia

Att: 26296

Crystal Palace (3-4-3); Kiraly; Zewlakow, Popovic, Hudson; Routledge, Watson, Hughes, Kolkka; Johnson, Freedman, Shipperly

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Morientes

1st Half

Goal! - Loads of events leading up to the shock lead for Palace 6 minutes in. Throw in on the right, thrown to Freedman who crosses, Hyypia wins the header, Watson takes the shot, it looks like it's going out for a goal kick. But no! Hughes manages to save it on the line, Freedman is free in the box! Shoots! Great save by Dudek! Cornor. It goes to Popovic in the box, tackled by Hyypia, it bounces off Kewell, finds itself to Watson outside the area, curls it! 1-0 to Palace! Their fans go wild! They can't believe it.

Goal! - 13 minutes in for Liverpools reply! Kolkka crosses into the box, headed clear by Hyypia against Johnson, Morientes gathers up, goes down the right, is accompanied by Garcia, lays it off to him, Garcia pulls off a great cross field pass to Kewell, Kewell takes it down beautifully, dribbles past both Zewlakow and Kiraly at the same time and slots it into the open goal! 1-1!!

Min 16 - Another header in the box won by Sami, headed once again to Morientes he advances a couple of yards and lays off to Garcia, again a wonderfull pass from Garcia through to Hamann who is one on one with the keeper! Tries to round him, shoots! Fingertip save by Kiraly!

Min 17 - Cornor by Liverpool, punched away by Kiraly, Finnan passes one time to Garcia, shoots! Deflected out to Biscan on the top of the box, shoots! Well wide..

Min 19 - Garcia wins a header against Popovic, heads to Morientes who dribbles past Hudson, feeds it left to Kewell who is free against the keeper, shoots! Save by Kiraly! Cleared by Hudson.

Min 32 - Hamann finds Kewell in the left side of the box, Kewell crosses in for Morientes, headed away badly by Popovic, Hamann heads it from the penalty spot! But it's way to bad and flies over the bar.

Min 37 - Alonso wins a ball in the box, headed away to Morientes, he waits for Hamann to overlap, through balls it to him, Hamann runs out wide with the ball, passes sideways to Garcia just outside the box, hits it straight away! Curvs towards the left post! Great save by Kiraly!!

At halftime I told the lads to keep pressing, sooner or later we were bound to get a goal. The whole team had played brilliantly well and the 6th minute goal by Watson was very nudeserved.

2nd Half

Min 48 - Throw in by Riise in our own half to Kewell, he passes to Morientes who waits for Kewell to overlap on the left wing, passes it through to him, Kewell now on the left, passes centrally to Alonso, he gives it to Morientes who's outside the box, he shoots! Really really bad shot..

Min 55 - Kewell got injured and had to come off. Replaced by Pellegrino who slots in next to Hyypia, Carra goes out to left back and Riise up to left midfield.

Min 67 - Riise comes down the left wing, crosses! Deflected off Hudson, bounces back to Riise who tries his cross again, finds Morientes! Shoots! Over the bar!! That's it! Morientes is off, he's had enough chances! Both him and Alonso comes off. Alonso had run himself ragged. Welsh and Sinama come on.

Goal! - The lead for Liverpool comes after 69 minutes! Finnan plays the ball to the excellent Garcia who holds it up on the right wing. He sees Welsh's run from midfield to the far post, crosses, both Welsh and Sinama are there! Welsh is first to it, shoots on the volley! Top left cornor! 2-1!! Welsh's first ever goal!! He runs out to the travelling Liverpool fans and is joined by all Liverpool players! They know this was important for both player and club!

Min 85 - Luis Garcia intercepts a poor pass from Popovic, he gives it to Sinama who gives it to Riise, Riise holds it up, finds Hamann infront of the box, he has two options, Garcia to his right or Sinama in the box, throughs it to Sinama, Sinama takes one touch, his second is a shot! Save by Kiraly! Cleared by Hughes.

Goal! - It was bound to come but it took 87 minutes for the man to score. Pellegrino cleared the ball with a header, it found Sinama who advanced all the way ot the edge of the box on the left side, centered it to Welsh who found Garcia in the right side of the box, he's unmarked! He shoots low to the keepers left! Goal!! 3-1!! Garcia has done it again! 7 in 7 straight games!

After the game I was so happy with my players. Everyone showed their will to win. I congratulated Welsh on his first goal for the club, I knew that would put him on cloud nine for the whole season. I was perticularly happy with Garcia, he's whole game was a touch of brillians and he's turning out to a world beater. We were still 3 points clear of Chelsea and 5 clear of Arsenal but we felt unstoppable at this time.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Liverpool | | 10 | 10 | 0 | 0 | 22 | 5 | +17 | 30 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Chelsea | | 10 | 9 | 0 | 1 | 21 | 5 | +16 | 27 |

| 3rd | | Arsenal | | 10 | 8 | 1 | 1 | 35 | 6 | +29 | 25 |

| 4th | | Everton | | 10 | 6 | 1 | 3 | 14 | 12 | +2 | 19 |

| 5th | | Man Utd | | 9 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 23 | 11 | +12 | 18 |

| 6th | | Bolton | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 16 |

| 7th | | Blackburn | | 9 | 4 | 4 | 1 | 12 | 8 | +4 | 16 |

| 8th | | Fulham | | 10 | 5 | 1 | 4 | 17 | 14 | +3 | 16 |

| 9th | | Tottenham | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 20 | 13 | +7 | 15 |

| 10th | | Birmingham | | 10 | 1 | 6 | 3 | 10 | 13 | -3 | 9 |

| 11th | | Man City | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 11 | 15 | -4 | 9 |

| 12th | | Aston Villa | | 9 | 3 | 0 | 6 | 13 | 18 | -5 | 9 |

| 13th | | West Brom | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 8 | 13 | -5 | 9 |

| 14th | | Charlton | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 20 | -11 | 9 |

| 15th | | Newcastle | | 9 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 8 | 19 | -11 | 8 |

| 16th | | Norwich | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 12 | -6 | 7 |

| 17th | | Crystal Palace | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 13 | 23 | -10 | 7 |

| 18th | | Portsmouth | | 10 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 4 | 20 | -16 | 6 |

| 19th | | Middlesbrough | | 9 | 0 | 5 | 4 | 11 | 21 | -10 | 5 |

| 20th | | Southampton | | 9 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 20 | -15 | 5 |

</pre>

Garcia To The Rescue! Again..

It's been two weeks since the match at Selhurst Park and now we face Porto at home. I've never been a fan of matches after internationals because something always seems to happen. On this occausion it was Finnan who came back very very tired and now couldn't be played against Porto. Josemi had to be called upon but he was relishing the chance to shine. Pellegrino got injured on the Monday before the match and will be sidelined for 1 week. Good news however was that Gerrard was back in training but should be gently massaged back into the team.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

Two weeks off and now back to action, how do you see the match going tonight?

Obviously they won't be taking the West Brom approach and will be more attacking. I'm confident that we'll take all 3 points tonight and grab this group by the balls.

How is Steven Gerrard at this time?

He's good, he's been back in training for the last couple of days but I think he'll be ready in a week or two for a game. I rather not rush him back to be honest.

The atmosphere is amazing in the stadium. Do you think you can please the fans?

Yeah I do. I said last game that we now have the fate in out own hands and I have also said that noone comes here and grabs points. That goes for reigning champs aswell.

Josemi in for Finnan, how do you see that going?

Finnan is better going forward, definatly but Josemi is more aggressive and won't give the opposition any peace on the ball.

Good luck tonight!

Wednesday 20th October, 19.45. Anfield, Liverpool.

Champions League Group C

Liverpool 2 Cisse 77, Garcia 90

Porto 1 Diego 14

MOM - Partridge

Att: 45253

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Josemi, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Biscan; Garcia, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell; Cisse

Porto (4-1-2-1-2); Baia; Seitaridis, Jorge Costa, Pepe, Leandro; Costinha; Meireles, Maniche; Diego; Pitbull, Fabiano

First Half

Min 12 - Porto test Dudek for the first time. A throw in by Leandro to Maniche who advances a few yards, curvs the ball towards goal! But a comfortable save by Dudek.

Goal! - Cornor to Porto. Taken by Seitaridis, headed away by Garcia, but it goes back to Seitaridis, swings it in infront of Dudek, header by Diego! 1-0 to Porto! What a shock opener!! The whole stadium goes quite.. Except for the Porto fans who cheer and chant.

Min 32 - Another Porto chance. Costinha wins the ball off Kewell, Liverpool are a bit on the back foot, the ball comes to Maniche on the right side outside the area, Garcia closes him down, Maniche shoots! But well off target.

Min 37 - Seitaridis runs with the ball to the right wing, passes inwards to Costinha who is totally unmarked. Noone is closing him down!! He tries a shot from outside the area! But luckly for Liverpool, it's gone well wide.

At halftime I had a go at the players. There was no passion no footballers on the field. I was disppointed with the fight we had put up. I looked at Cisse and said to him that unless he starts playing football he'd be off and not playing the next game. Riise and Hamann were expressing some knocks and said that the opposition are playing really rough football. I had noticed this thou and suggested we'd rough them up a bit aswell. Riise and Hamann came off at halftime and were replaced by Traore and Welsh.

Second Half

Min 51 - Kewell picks up a knock and now I had to use my last sub. Partridge replaced Kewell.

Min 58 - Partridge has the ball on the left, holds up, goes to the byline, crosses into box, Alonso heads it! Save by Baia!

Min 70 - Now Biscan was limping about on the pitch. I told the fourth official that I was very unhappy with the attitude of the opposition injuring my players.

Goal! - 77 minutes in and we get a cornor on the right. Partridge swings it in, Alonso goes to head! Misses! It goes to Cisse on the far post! He shoots! 1-1!!! We needed that!

Min 87 - Traore gathers up a cleared ball, he passes to Carra, Carra sends a ball upfield, Costa won the ball against Cisse, Alonso grabs the ball, sends it left to Partridge, he swings it right to Garcia, Garcia shoots on the half-volley! Hits the sidenetting!!

Min 89 - Cisse nicks the ball of Valente, he goes down to the right byline, dribbles past Valente, centres to Welsh, he shoots!! Baia punches it away!

Goal!! - Yess!! 2 minutes into injury time! Traore gathers up a clearence, passes down the left wing to Partridge, he finds Alonso infield, Alonso passes the ball through down the left flank to Cisse, Cisse crosses it first time, Baia goes to catch the ball, but Garcia gets a head to it infront of him!! 2-1!! Garcia scores infront of the Kop!! 10th goal of the season! All the players jump onto Garcia!!

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

We're here with Daniel and Garcia, what a great evening! What do you reckon about the match, Daniel?

Well we'll give Porto the first half, we didn't play well at all and our offense was non-existant. But in the second half we got back at them and we scored 2 great goals. I have to say I wasn't happy at all with Porto's tackling and roughness. I think that UEFA should investigate some of the footage

Garcia, 8 in 8 straight games, how do you do it?

I don't know, I'm just there in the right space at the right time and I score. But tonight was a team effort. The way we come back tonight shows our strength when being behind against one of the best teams in Europe.

Daniel you mentioned the tough tackling, any serious injuries tonight?

I just had a quick word with the physio and he said that Riise and Kewell are just fine but Biscan and Hamman have minor injuries. I find it disappioting that the reigning champions need to use such methods to win games.

Biscan and Hamann are out for the game at Blackburn then?

Hard to say but I'm guessing, at this moment in time, yes.

Well... He Can't Score Every Game

Winning against Porto ment our 15th win this season. Not too bad considering we've played just as many games. Confidence was high in the Anfield camp but we we're a bit injury struck. For 1 there was no Hamann or Biscan. Cisse and Gerrard were still unfit so we aired a couple of reserves today. Garcia moves infield together with Alonso. Welsh takes care of the anchor role and Morientes up top. Gerrard however is on the bench just in case of injury.

PRE MATCH INTERVIEW

A couple of injuries for you today. Can you take Blackburn away?

We're going to give it a good go. The players out there have to give 100% today because Blackburn are no push overs at Ewood Park.

Gerrard's on the bench today. Any chance of seeing him today?

Depends on the circumstances really. I would love to air him but if it's a very tight game I might save him for the Tottenham game.

Chelsea lost yesterday away to Bolton, you think you can take advantage of that?

If the players take responsibility and we get a goal then yes, it's possible.

Sunday 24th October, 14.00. Ewood Park, Blackburn

Premiership

Blackburn 0

Liverpool 1 Alonso 45

Sent Off: Finnan 83

MOM - Friedal

Att: 31340

Blackburn (4-4-2); Friedal; Neill, Mokoena, Matteo, Johansson; Emerton, Murray, Savage, Pederson; Gallagher, Jansen

Liverpool (4-1-4-1); Dudek; Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Riise; Welsh; Partridge, Alonso, Garcia, Kewell; Morientes

First Half

Min 9 - Gallagher wins a header against Riise, he heads down to Savage, he lays it out left to Pedersen, he goes down the left, crosses, deflected off Carra but it meets the head of Jansen! Very weak and over the bar..

Min 22 - After a cornor Partridge clears the ball to Morientes, he goes to the halfway line, holds up the ball, throughs it to Partridge who's overlapped, he goes into the box, Johansson tackles the ball, Finnan picks it up, shoots! But Friedal's got it covered.

Min 26 - Throw in to Blackburn, given to Johansson, crossed to the far post, Murray meets it with a diving header! Over the bar!!

Min 27 - Goal kick by Dudek, won in the air by Neill. He heads it to Emerton on the right, dribbles down the right, shoots from range! Over the bar!

Min 44 - Cornor for Blackburn, cut out by Welsh, but the clerence is bad, it goes out to Mokoena who shoots! But way wide of goal.

Min 45 - Dudek takes the goal kick to Alonso, he passes back to Finnan, Finnan passes back, Alonso lays it back to Welsh, Welsh returns the favour to Alonso who has taken a run behind the Blackburn defense, he runs towards goal, chased by Johansson, he finishes to Friedal's left! 1-0!! On the stroke of half time! Get in there!

At half time Alonso told me that he'd been struggling with a knock he'd gotten and he didn't know if he could go on. At that point I decided that Gerrard would lead out the team in the second half.

As we went out of the tunnel on the second half, Gerrard stood by the half way line and the fans realized what was happening. Their "boy" had come back. The travelling fans did their best to get heard when the speakers voice said "Coming off is number 14, Xabi Alonso. Coming on is number 8, Steven Gerrard". The fans roared and Stevie clapped towards the fans when he entered the pitch.

Second Half

Min 48 - Mokoena cuts out a pass towards Morientes, he passes back to Friedal, Friedal goes to punt it upfield, but it hits Morientes! It floats towards goal! But Friedal gets back in time and knocks it over the bar!

Min 51 - Kewell picks up a knock and comes off for Traore. Riise goes up to left wing and Traore slots into fullback.

Min 59 - Morientes has it on the left wing, he passes inwards to Garcia, he then passes left to Riise, Riise crosses to Garcia who is free on goal! He shoots! Great save by Friedal!!

Min 63 - Cornor to Blackburn on the right. Taken by Thompson to the 6 yard box, Johansson heads it! Saved down by the right post by Dudek, good save!

Min 68 - Matteo cuts out a long ball, he passes down the right to Thompson, he takes it down the byline, crosses to the far part of the box to Savage, he takes it down, pokes it forward to Pederson who hits it directly! Saved by Dudek!

Min 69 - Goal kick taken by Dudek, all the way up to Morientes who takes it down well, passes left to Riise and goes for the return, Morientes dribbles towards goal, shoots! Sails way over the bar! That was it, Morientes last touch, he comes off for Sinama.

Min 73 - Free kick to us, Garcia steps up.. shoots! Just over the bar! So close!

Min 75 - Matteo wins a ball against Partridge, he heads it down the left wing to Pedersen, he goes to the byline, crosses back to the penalty spot, Savage on the volley! Over the bar!

Min 78 - Throw in to us, Traore throws to Welsh, headed away by Mokoena, gathered by Traore, passes to Welsh, who tees up Partridge outside the area, shoots! Over the bar!

Min 80 - Sinama wins a header against Johansson, he heds down to Garcia who dribbles to the left edge of the area, dwells on the ball, but decides to shoot! High over the bar.

Min 83 - Finnan gets sent off for a double bookable offence. Quite harsh I thought but stuff like this happens. I put Partridge down to right back and Sinama to right wing.

Min 85 - Welsh cuts out a Blackburn throw in, finds Sinama on the right, he finds Garcia centrally, he holds onto the ball, feeds a through ball to an overlapping Sinama, he's free on goal! Bares down on Friedal, shoots! Saved by Friedal! Goes past Gerrard who was following up..

Full Time!

POST MATCH INTERVIEW

Good result Daniel, pleased?

Of course, 1-0 from here is a very good result. If Friedal wasn't having one of his "days" then it could of been more.

Both Alonso and Kewell off with knocks, are they ok?

Yeah there ok, it was just a precaution really because they were complaining about some pain but it seems to just be some bruising. Be gone by tomorrow.

The sending off, fair?

To be honest yes, I think Dunn got it right today and I have no hard feelings towards the dubbel booking.

How was it seeing Gerrard back in action?

It's always good for a team to get back their skipper but you could tell he was a bit unfit and needs to be nurtured back into form but he'll be back in action quite soon I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supa playa:

Great stuff mate, story keeps getting better and better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers mate icon14.gif

Archived