Raware

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2023 : Review

(Note : The yellow lines on the links indicate when I took charge at Liaoning)

Chinese National First Division/Chinese National First Division progress/Chinese National First Division fixtures : I took the Liaoning hot seat with 11 games already played which had left them sitting 9th in the league when I arrived. Things started ok for me, as we racked up 3 draws in my first 3 games which did leave me wondering at one point if it was going to be a long, tough season ahead for us. But those 3 draws seemed to have done enough to stop the previous rot and our confidence grew as we went on a club record winning streak of 8 games to put us in with a great chance of promotion. With 8 games remaining we fought it out with Locomotive (CHN), Dongya, Hubei and Rizhiquan for the 2 promotion places. While we seemed to get stronger as the season went on, the other teams around us seemed to fade away and we took full advantage of that to claim the title with 2 games remaining and with that, an immediate return to the Chinese Super League! :D.

Chinese FA Cup : We were out of the FA Cup before I arrived!

Transfers : As I said previously, the squad desperately needed improving if we was to make any kind of push for promotion so I immediately set about at bringing some new faces in to try and freshen things up. In came Romanian Marian Iovanovici (who was actually recommended to me by Ionut Teodorescu when I was at Happy Valley), Jaroslav Carnota and Valentin Bogdan all on free transfers, Bira and Chen Chao from Changsha for a combined fee of £135k, Lin Chen and Yang Dong who were both signed on pre contracts by the previous management (I actually didn’t want them but they’d already agreed terms), Zhang Fuqiang from Henan for £110k and goalkeeper Du Xinpeng from Shenzhen for £275k.

Squad : The squad had some quality in it when I arrived but they were just so low on confidence. I think the players we brought in livened things up and brought a freshness to the squad as this showed as we went on a great undefeated run to take us to the title. Probably the most notable signing was Marian Iovanovici who in half season knocked in 16 goals in 18 games to catapult us to the right end of the table while also claiming the Chinese National First Division top scorer award. Not bad in half a season! One other stand out player for us was Kenneth Scott who also scored some invaluable goals for us as he racked up 12 goals in 26 games which put him third in the seasons scoring charts. For us to compete in the Chinese Super League next season though, I think we definitely need to add some real quality to the squad during the off season if we’re to avoid an immediate return to the Chinese National First Division.

Finances : The clubs finances are listed as secure and the only reason we lost money this season was due to player signings. Hopefully being involved in China’s top division next season will bring in a bit more money for us.

Career Summary

Season   Team              League          		    Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2012/13  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2013/14  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, FA Cup runners up
2014/15  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      Lge runners up, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup runners up
2015/16  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      Lge runners up, FA Cup Winners
2016/17  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup winners, ACC Winners
2017/18  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      Lge runners up, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners
2018/19  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, FA Cup Winners, ACC Winners
2019/20  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield runners up, Lge Cup Winners
2020/21  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2021/22  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield runners up, Lge Cup, FA Cup, ACC Winners
2022/23  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2023     Liaoning          Chinese National First Division    1st      Lge Champions

Great to see this save back up and running again

6 titles in a row is impressive stuff!

Cheers AK22 :). With 5 straight titles at Happy Valley I thought I'd done as much as I could there so to claim another title (albeit the Chinese First Division) in my first season with my new club is really pleasing :D!

So how does it feel to have the resources you do now, after so long in Happy Valley?

It's kinda strange as i'm so used to getting players in either on frees or for as little as possible, so for me to have spent half a million quid last season feels like i've blown a small fortune! It is nice knowing that the financial backing is there if I need it but a small part of me still wants to find the young, cheap, starlets :D I'm sure i'll get used to the money eventually though! :D

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2024 : Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Chinese Super League : Board expectation - Stay clear of relegation : Media expectation - 14th (out of 16)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Chinese FA Cup : 2nd round

Transfer budget : £771k

Wage budget : £31.38 k p/w

Current wage bill : £27.85k p/w

There's only 5 rounds in the Chinese FA Cup...the 1st round, 2nd round, Quarter Final, Semi Final and Final with Super League teams entering right at the beginning at the 1st round. So, i'll be happy to make it to the 2nd round :D.

Have you been offered many job's in your career, if yes have any tempted you to leave?

The Liaoning job was the only offer i've had in the 13 years of my career! So yeah, I was tempted :D;) I'm a bit surprised too considering the relative success I had at Happy Valley.

Must take a lot to get job offers.

Yeah, apparently there was a small problem with job offers. I think that's now been corrected on the the 3rd patch but i'm still on 11.2.1.

How comes you never patched up

I patched up on both FM09 and FM10 and didn't like either of the final patches which ended my saves and involvement with the games. I'm happy with FM11.2.1 so didn't want to make the same mistake with FM11 and patch 3.

11.3 does seem to work much better :p

Has it been ok for you then Flamers? I'm not sure I want to risk it this time around. I think i've learned my lesson from 9.3 and 10.3 :D

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2024 : Mid-season update

Chinese Super League : After our immediate bounce back to the Chinese Super League, everyone was expecting a tough season ahead for us, not least me. Both the board and the media (and me in fact) was expecting a relegation dog fight this season…but, that’s not been the case as we’ve made a storming start to life back in China’s top division. We’ve managed to rack up 10 wins in the first 15 games to leave us sitting pretty at the top of the league and surprising everyone…including myself! Whether we can sustain this type of form throughout the second half of the season though is unlikely in my eyes and honestly, the only task I’m now concerning ourselves with is to hit the 35 point mark to almost guarantee our safety. Anything other than survival is my only aim this season…anything else will be a massive bonus for us :D.

Ssshhh DSYoungEsq, don't shout it too loudly! ;) Seriously though, we've got to be realistic and with the players and lack of depth and quality throughout the squad, it's only a matter of time before we peter out. I hate being pessimistic but we've just got to be realistic :(.

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2024 : Review

Chinese Super League/Chinese Super League progress/Chinese Super League fixtures : With an unbelievably fantastic start for us which left us sitting top of the league at the halfway mark of the season, we had a great platform to achieve our brief of staying clear of relegation. We continued to pick up win after win and at one point was pushing title favourites Shandong all the way. However, as predicted, we couldn’t keep up the relentless early season form to go on and claim the title as we dropped down the table to eventually finish 3rd. Although it was slightly disappointing to fall at the last hurdle, I can have no complaints what so ever as we dismissed everyone’s pre season prediction of relegation dog fighters to go on and claim 3rd place and with that, a place in next seasons Asian Champions League!

Chinese FA Cup : As I joined halfway through the season last year and with the club already out of the cup when I joined, this was my first season in the competition…and what a way to celebrate it. We had a fine run to the final where we went on to defeat Chanba 3-2! :D.

Transfers : A lot of activity in the transfer market for us as we made no fewer than 10 signings, spending over a million pound in the process. In came

Ning Yang, Hu Junye, Alexandre and Da Silva all on free transfers, Zhou Wei from Yanbian for a club record £475k, Yuya Suzuki from Niigata Unicorn for £1k, Xu Lei from Rizhiquan for £110k, Sekou Fofana from Pune FC for £130k, Sun Meng from Henan for £250k and Xu Yijun from A’erbin for £220k.

Squad : The squad undoubtedly punched well above their weight as they collectively put in some great performances to give us our highest league finish since 1999. Our front two strikers were our stand performers as Marian Iovanovici netted 12 times and Kenneth Scott bagged 21 goals to make him the clubs leading goal scorer in a season. One other stand out player for us was Ning Yang who really showed his potential as he both scored and assisted for us as well as breaking into the China squad this season. Whether the set of players can repeat this next season however is something I’m not sure of. I think for us to build on the massive accomplishment we made this year, we need to make at least 2 or 3 key signings in the off-season.

Finances : The clubs finances are slowly decreasing as again we made a loss. Hopefully though, with our involvement in next seasons Asian Champions League, this should generate a bit of much needed cash for us :D.

Two other great pieces of news for us this season was the announcement that our youth facilities are to be upgraded and on a personal note, I won the Chinese Manager of the Year award :D.

Career Summary

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013/14  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, FA Cup runners up
2014/15  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      Lge runners up, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup runners up
2015/16  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      Lge runners up, FA Cup Winners
2016/17  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup winners, ACC Winners
2017/18  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      Lge runners up, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners
2018/19  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, FA Cup Winners, ACC Winners
2019/20  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield runners up, Lge Cup Winners
2020/21  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2021/22  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield runners up, Lge Cup, FA Cup, ACC Winners
2022/23  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2023     Liaoning          Chinese National First Division    1st      Lge Champions
2024     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               3rd      FA Cup Winners

Well done with the league position onwards and upwards!

Cheers Blue_magic :D

Great first season in the Super League. Well done on the cup win too

Thanks AK22 :thup:.

Told you you were going to do very well! All that: "Shucks, it's jest lil' ol' me..." stuff was for the masses, but those in the know knew better.

Good luck in Asia next year!

Well, I didn't want to tempt fate and in past FM's I always seem to fall off the pace in the second half of seasons. I guess I didn't want to admit how far we've come until our final position was final :) Hopefully Asia will be just as successful next season for us! :D

You know you've never finished lower than 7th in any league you've competed in... That's not a bad record!

That's only 'cause there was only 10 teams in the Hong Kong league! :D

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2025 : Preview

League expectation

Chinese Super League : Board expectation - Respectable league position : Media expectation - 8th (out of 16)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Chinese FA Cup : 2nd round

Asian Champions League : Learn from the experience

Transfer budget : £235k

Wage budget : £26.94 k p/w

Current wage bill : £27.27k p/w

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2025 : Mid-season update

Chinese Super League : After last seasons over achievements, teams weren’t under estimating us this season and were out to make life difficult for us. We made a steady start to the season, picking up 4 wins in the first 10 games which left us sitting mid table. However, last seasons early season form made an appearance as we picked up 4 wins and a draw in the next 5 games which leaves us mixing it up with the usual big boys of the Chinese Super League at the halfway mark of the season. I’d be lying if I said we’d settle for the boards expectation this season (and also, to please DSYoungEsq ;)), it’d be nice if we could match last season and qualify for the Asian Champions League again :D.

I normally only have 3 summaries a season in my updates for this thread…a season preview, a mid season update and a season review, but with the events that have happened so far this season and how tight the league is towards the latter stages of the season, I thought I’d put out another update just to show how nervy this season is! :D.

With the league table standing like this on the last day of the season, things are really tense! With ourselves, defending champions Shandong, Hangzhou and Chengdu still in the running for the title, all we need to do is concentrate on our own game and not worry about anyone or anything else and the league title is ours for the first time since 1993! Whether we can do that though…we’ll find out after 90 minutes!

Also, in addition to the nervy ending to the season, I had this offer and this offer land on my desk :). It was a difficult couple of decisions as I have real ambitions of managing in Australia and both clubs have a solid foundation for me to build on…plus I’ve never played in Australia on FM before. But, with the fantastic season I’ve had at Liaoning and with the chance of claiming the Chinese Super League title, I had no other choice really other than to turn them both down :(. I’d say that was probably one of the more difficult decisions I’ve had in FM over the years but it’s a chance to claim my first Chinese Super League title in all my CM/FM years! Hopefully though, I’ll get another chance in this save to get a job in Oz.

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2025 : Review

Chinese Super League/Chinese Super League progress/Chinese Super League fixtures : So, with the league title going down to the last day of the season, we snuck a 1-0 win against Tianjin to claim the clubs 2nd ever league title…the first since 1993! :D

Chinese FA Cup : We were out to defend our title this year; all was looking good…until we met Chengdu who foiled any chance of us retaining our title as they beat us 2-1 on aggregate :(.

Asian Champions League/Asian Champions League Group Stage : We drew a tricky ACL group…or at least I thought we did as we easily qualified from the group stage with a couple of games to spare. However, after drawing Melbourne Heart in the 2nd round, I was pessimistic of progression…and that proved to be right as we were sent tumbling out on penalties. Still, our ACL run generated some nice cash for us.

Chinese Super League All Star game : Because we were the newly crowned Chinese Super League champions, we were entered into the end of season All Star game vs the Chinese All Stars (The best players of the season in the Chinese Super League). Although the All Stars undoubtedly had some great players, they were no match for the consistency and familiarity of playing together that our squad had as we comfortably won 2-0.

Transfers : Compared to last year, it was a lot quieter on the transfer front for us as we only brought in 5 players for a total of £235k. In came Karamoko Diawara from Osotsapa for £90k, Jean-Louis Sylva from Faysali (JOR) for £65k, Jean-Louis Fall from Stade de Mbour for £35k, Zhang Wenjun from Beijing(S) for £45k and Tsutomu Ohtani from Niigata Unicorn on a free transfer.

Squad : The squad proved to be stronger than I initially thought at the start of the season as they exceeded both my and the boards expectation to go on and claim the league title. One particular player that stood out for us was our new signing Jean-Louis Sylva who managed to settle in straight away to bag 14 goals in all competitions. Last seasons top scorer, Kenneth Scott carried on where he left off as he grabbed 10 goals and perhaps a surprise inclusion in the scoring charts for us was our experienced centre half Hu Junye who also hit double figures…not bad for a centre back!

Finances : A slight improvement for our finances this year but our profit margin was hit hard due to £875k being handed out in bonuses for winning the league. I think I’ll lower the bonuses next season!

Again, during the end of season awards, I was awarded the Chinese Manager of the Year award :D.

Career Summary

2024     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               3rd      FA Cup Winners
2025     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               1st      Lge Champions

Excellent! Justifies your decision to stay with them. In another season, you can make some deeper progress in the ACL, and really feel good about staying. :)

Thanks DSYoungEsq. I'm glad that I stayed with them now despite my ambitions of playing in Australia. With (hopefully) the regular challenge in the CSL now, i'm hoping we can start to make inroads in the ACL now (as you say :D)

Well done :)

Cheers Flamers :thup:

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2026 : Preview

League expectation

Chinese Super League : Board expectation - Compete alongside the top teams in the league : Media expectation - 5th (out of 16)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Chinese FA Cup : Quarter Final

Asian Champions League : Learn from the experience

Pan-Pacific Championship : Not important

Transfer budget : £290k

Wage budget : £35.06 k p/w

Current wage bill : £27.58k p/w

Been doing well at Liaoning Raware. Good luck in the new season. :)

Thanks rancer. This is the first time i've played in the Chinese leagues and I'm surprised at how weak (well apart from Shandong) the teams are. Players aren't on big wages or valued a lot and not a lot of good regens come through. I'm also surprised how much of an impact we've made after just 3 years. It seems that all we needed was 4 or 5 good foreigners and we're on a par with other the teams in the CSL...not that we're complaining though! :D

How did you find the CSL? Was it a similar thing with you? I seem to remember you having some success with Henan fairly quickly.

Congrats, doing well with Liaoning always like reading your threads as its something different from the usual european leagues, KYTGW :)

Thanks acidmonkey :D. I always like to try new leagues with new rules rather than like you say, the usual popular leagues. Glad you're enjoying it :).

Archived