[FM11] Way of the Dragon

Raware

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		    Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          7th      -
2012/13  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          7th      -
2013/14  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners
2014/15  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          2nd      Lge Cup Winners
2015/16  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          2nd      FA Cup Winners
2016/17  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup winners, ACC Winners
2017/18  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners
2018/19  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, FA Cup Winners, ACC Winners
2019/20  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners
2020/21  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2021/22  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup, FA Cup, ACC Winners
2022/23  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2023     Liaoning           Chinese National First Division   1st      Lge Champions
2024     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              3rd      FA Cup Winners
2025     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              1st      Lge Champions
2026     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              1st      Lge Champions
2026/27  Melbourne Victory  Australian Hyundai A-League        -       ACL Winners
2027/28  Melbourne Victory  Australian Hyundai A-League       1st      Lge Champions, Finals Series Winners

International Career Summary

Season   Team              Competiton   		Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020	 Hong Kong	   Asian Challenge Cup		Winners
2021	 Hong Kong	   -				-
2022     Hong Kong	   Asian Challenge Cup		-

Trophy Cabinet

Asian Challenge Cup : 2020

Asian Champions League : 2026/27

Asian Confederation Cup : 2016/17, 2018/19, 2021/22

Hong Kong First Division : 2013/14, 2016/17, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22

Hong Kong Senior Shield : 2013/14, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2020/21

Hong Kong League Cup : 2014/15, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22

Hong Kong FA Cup : 2015/16, 2018/19, 2020/21, 2021/22

Chinese Super League : 2025, 2026

Chinese National First Division : 2023

Chinese FA Cup : 2024

Australian A-League : 2027/28

Australian A-League Finals Series : 2027/28

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks rancer. This is the first time i've played in the Chinese leagues and I'm surprised at how weak (well apart from Shandong) the teams are. Players aren't on big wages or valued a lot and not a lot of good regens come through. I'm also surprised how much of an impact we've made after just 3 years. It seems that all we needed was 4 or 5 good foreigners and we're on a par with other the teams in the CSL...not that we're complaining though! :D

How did you find the CSL? Was it a similar thing with you? I seem to remember you having some success with Henan fairly quickly.

Yes. Acquire very good foreigners and once you have success, pay a little more for elite Chinese talent, and viola, you are at the top of the league and contending every year. I also won the Club World Cup if you remember ;).

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2026 : Mid-season update

Chinese Super League : We’re up at the business end of the table again as we hit the halfway mark of the season and looking good to fight to retain our surprise title from last year. We’ve put in some strong performances so far this year and while we haven’t been setting the league a light for goals scored, we’ve been shutting teams out (which as a defender is pleasing :D). Even at this stage of the season though it’s beginning to look like a two horse race between ourselves and Shandong…but this is football and anything can happen. There's still plenty of football left to be played so I’m not expecting the other teams to have given up just yet. While I don’t want to concede defeat this early, we still have to be realistic and say that we aren’t as strong as some of the teams in the league (or have the money some of the teams have) so I’ll be happy if we can finish with an Asian Champions League qualification spot. (*Without sounding too pessimistic DSYoungEsq* ;)

Poor-mouthing your team, again. I'm thinking your half-time talks must be interesting:

"Well, lads, we're doing well, but we'll probably crash to a loss because, after all, that's a better team than us over there, and they have more money invested in their players, and our schedule is rougher, so don't be too shocked when they put five past us this coming half..." :D

Poor-mouthing your team, again. I'm thinking your half-time talks must be interesting:

"Well, lads, we're doing well, but we'll probably crash to a loss because, after all, that's a better team than us over there, and they have more money invested in their players, and our schedule is rougher, so don't be too shocked when they put five past us this coming half..." :D

"I've told the players we need to win so that I can have the cash to buy some new ones"

:D

"Well, lads, we're doing well, but we'll probably crash to a loss because, after all, that's a better team than us over there, and they have more money invested in their players, and our schedule is rougher, so don't be too shocked when they put five past us this coming half..."

"I've told the players we need to win so that I can have the cash to buy some new ones"

If I could find that team talk, I'd use it! :D

Sounds like you two have been playng CM/FM as long as me and know full well how it can turn you over when you think things are going well. That's the secret to FM...never expect too much...'cause that's when things take a turn for the worst! ;)

Seriously though, with the players we have and lack of funds (in comparison to the 'big' teams in the league), we're over acheiving massively. I've been in these situations before on FM and it always starts to crumble just when you think things are looking well. I guess I just don't want to think we've cracked it for it then to all fall apart...plus, I'm a Forest fan so I'm used to falling at the last hurdle! :);)

I agree! Always best to prepare for the worse, you'll be less disappointed then.

FM definitely gives you a 'glass half-empty' mentality after a while, however, for some people (mainly in the GD forum!), the glass is completely empty!! :D

I agree! Always best to prepare for the worse, you'll be less disappointed then.

FM definitely gives you a 'glass half-empty' mentality after a while, however, for some people (mainly in the GD forum!), the glass is completely empty!! :D

That's why I stay out of GD! I can't be doing with the petty little arguments.

I'd say i'm a glass half full person IRL but like you say, with FM, it tends to kick you in the teeth when you're least expecting it (or it has done with me over the years) so I don't take anything for granted in FM. Maybe that comes across negatively but (again, as you say) it's best to prepare for the worse! :D

Liaoning-1.png

Liaoning

Season 2026 : Review

Chinese Super League/Chinese Super League progress/Chinese Super League fixtures : Well, I was right about the league becoming a two horse race between ourselves and Shandong as we both fought it out again for the league title. With a great start behind us, it left us sitting top of the table at the halfway mark…and that’s where we stayed despite Shandong’s best efforts to displace us as we went on to retain our title with 4 games remaining.

Chinese FA Cup : It was disappointment again for us as we were sent packing by the same team that knocked us out last season, Chengdu Blades :( (who actually went on to win it).

Asian Champions League/Asian Champions League Group Stage : We made it through the groups relatively easily again as we were matched with fellow CSL side Hangzhou in the 2nd round. It was a game that we were more than capable of winning but luck just wasn’t on our side as we lost 1-0.

Chinese Super League All Star game : This was another chance for us to test ourselves against the leagues best…and we did, as we trounced them 5-0! :D.

Pan Pacific Championship : We faced Osaka, the Champions of Japan in the Semi’s, where we fought valiantly but ultimately went out on penalties. This pitted us against Kansas City in the third/fourth playoff where again, we lost on penalties. I wasn’t too disappointed though as this competition wasn’t a priority for us, but I think we need to practice our penalties more!

Transfers : This year we brought in a bit of experience in the form of Wang Ya’nan, Li Weihui and Zhang Tianlong all on free transfers, Chen Cheng for £22k from Chanba and Sun Furong for £35k from Shenhua.

Squad : Despite the squad showing that they were strong enough to lift the title last season, I still had my doubts this season as to whether they were strong enough to retain it. However, with the addition of a few older heads to the squad, they once again proved everyone wrong (including myself) as they went on to retain the title. Jean-Louis Sylva was our top scorer as he netted 12 times but he’s now attracting the interest of some big Middle Eastern and European clubs and is beginning to demand a move elsewhere. With his contract running out next season and him refusing to sign a new one, I’m not sure that I’ll be able to keep hold of him. The same can be said about a few others as we have 17 players whose contracts run out next season, so the squad could be depleted in the near future.

Finances : Another slight improvement for our finances but nowhere near enough to generate the kind of money we really need to compete on all fronts. We really need a good run in the ACL next season.

And again, for the third consecutive year, I claimed the Chinese Manager of the Year award :D.

Career Summary

Season   Team              League          		    Position   Achievements

2011/12  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2012/13  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2013/14  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners
2014/15  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      Lge Cup Winners
2015/16  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      FA Cup Winners
2016/17  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup winners, ACC Winners
2017/18  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners
2018/19  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, FA Cup Winners, ACC Winners
2019/20  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners
2020/21  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2021/22  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup, FA Cup, ACC Winners
2022/23  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2023     Liaoning          Chinese National First Division    1st      Lge Champions
2024     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               3rd      FA Cup Winners
2025     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               1st      Lge Champions
2026     Liaoning          Chinese Super League               1st      Lge Champions

You signed Wang Ya' Nan, I thought the G was a K, in which case that would have been a very err... unpleasant name :D

Is this Wayne Rooney's nickname?! :D

Great season again Raware. What's next? Stay for another season and see if you can do well in the ACL? Is it a realistic goal that you could win it?

Told ya you were headed to greatness. Now, if you can manage to go deeper in the ACL.

I'm curious: how do the players on the top ACL teams compare to your players? Yours look like they would not make my current Prestatyn squad, but I would happily have hired yours about 7 years ago.

Is this Wayne Rooney's nickname?! :D

Great season again Raware. What's next? Stay for another season and see if you can do well in the ACL? Is it a realistic goal that you could win it?

I think we're in a good enough position now to be challenging for the CSL every year, or at least an ACL qualification spot. As for the ACL, that's got to be our aim now. We're managing to make it out of the group stages fairly easily but we jusy can't compete with the stronger Asian clubs. Maybe if we had the luck of the draw, we could make it all the way.

Told ya you were headed to greatness. Now, if you can manage to go deeper in the ACL.

I'm curious: how do the players on the top ACL teams compare to your players? Yours look like they would not make my current Prestatyn squad, but I would happily have hired yours about 7 years ago.

Our players (bar one or two) aren't a patch on the players in the top ACL teams, hence our inability to compete with them. For example, this is the normal standard of the Middle Eastern clubs. As you can see, quite significantly better than what we have, so it's difficult to try and match them during a game. I doubt any of my players would even come close to your Prestatyn squad.

This is an example of one of the better players in the ACL

See you in Aus?

I'm not sure...it's a difficult decision. I'm away for the bank holiday weekend so I think i'll leave it and have a think about it. Any ideas about what I should do?

After a nice relaxing bank holiday weekend, i'm back to make my decision. Thanks for all of your advice...

It's a great opportunity in Australia. I think you'll have a better chance of winning the ACL with the budget they're offering you.
Defo Aus! I think you'd love it :)
Make the move. You won't get the sort of players you need to compete for the ACL at Liaoning. And doing well in Australia will springboard you even higher up the success ladder. :)

...and after carefully considering what you guys suggested...

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

...I decided to take the offer from Melbourne Victory as it was just too good to turn down. I had an offer to move to Australia a couple of seasons ago but chose to turn it down as the timing was wrong and I was on the verge of claiming my first ever Chinese Super League title with Liaoning. But, now I’ve had my hands on two Chinese Super League titles and a Chinese FA Cup, I feel that the time is right to move on to pastures new. Besides, I think I’ve left Liaoning in good shape and able to continue challenging for honours after my departure. The only small regret I leave with Liaoning is not winning the Asian Champions League (if ever that was a possibility), but hopefully I’ll get that chance with Melbourne Victory…especially with the financial resources I now have at my disposal! :D. This is going to be something completely different for me as I usually take control of a smaller, lesser known club and try and take them to success from the bottom. But Melbourne Victory are already an established club with both quality in the squad and financial clout, so it should be fun to see just what I can do at a big club :D.

I join The Victory with the domestic season already over and them finishing as runners-up in the league. I have a few games of the current season left with them in the Hyundai A-League Finals Series and 5 games of the Asian Champions League left. My aim will be to make sure that we qualify for the Asian Champions League knockout stages and then we’ll look to next season to try and build towards claiming the Hyundai A-League title.

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

Founded in 2004, Melbourne Victory FC are a professional Australian football club currently playing in the Hyundai A-League. The club play their home games at AAMI park and possess average training facilities and an average youth setup. The club also have an average youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as The Victory and retains a fierce rivalry with Sydney FC, Adelaide United FC and Melbourne Heart FC.

AAMIPark.png

AAMI Park

Good luck in Australia with that budget you stand a more realistic chance of clinching the ACL :)

Cheers acidmonkey. My thoughts exactly. With that hefty financal backing, success should be 'easier' to come by.

Right decision, most definitely. Good luck with the Victory, ACL next season must be a possibility with the money you got to spend :thup:

Thanks AK22. I hope so. It's the one trophy i've been after for a while!

YAY! 10charfail

:D

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

Season 2026/27 : (Part) Review

In the Hyundai A-League Finals Series games I had remaining since my appointment we lost both of them, but in all honesty it wasn’t a real priority. The board were more concerned with the Asian Champions League and with us qualifying from the group stages of it; which we did by finishing top of the group. We then met Okayama FC in the 2nd round who we trounced 6-2 after they were reduced to 9 men which set us up with Al-Hilal of Saudi Arabia in the Quarter Finals. We managed to dispose of them over the 2 legs to set up a mouth watering tie in the Semi Finals against my old club Liaoning. It was an emotional return to Liao Small Tiger for me but I knew a job had to be done to ensure our first ever appearance in the Asian Champions League in my first season at Melbourne Victory; the players were professional and got the job done as we made it to the final where we met ACL favourites and three times ACL winners Al-Ahli of Saudi Arabia. It was a tough game and at times we were totally outplayed by the Saudi’s, but somehow we managed to snatch an unlikely victory to claim the clubs (and my) first ever Asian Champions League title! :D

Career Summary

2013/14  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners,
2014/15  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          2nd      Lge Cup Winners
2015/16  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          2nd      FA Cup Winners
2016/17  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup winners, ACC Winners
2017/18  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners
2018/19  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, FA Cup Winners, ACC Winners
2019/20  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners
2020/21  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2021/22  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division	      1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup, FA Cup, ACC Winners
2022/23  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Lge Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners
2023     Liaoning           Chinese National First Division   1st      Lge Champions
2024     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              3rd      FA Cup Winners
2025     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              1st      Lge Champions
2026     Liaoning           Chinese Super League              1st      Lge Champions
2026/27  Melbourne Victory  Australian Hyundai A-League        -       ACL Winners

Finally caught up with all of this. Great career so far Raware, and congrats on your ACL success.

What next for you at Melbourne Victory? How are you gonna top that?

Thanks pezza :thup:. The ACL victory was really unexpected and is gonna be tough to top but I think the goal next season will be to win the league and then try and win the ACL with my own players :D After that...i'm not sure. The club looks like it regularly brings some good youth talent through its doors so it'd be nice to finally have some players come through the ranks rather than always looking to buy.

Ah, well, so soon? Time to move on.

I know...i'm surprised at how quickly we won it. Guess i'll be looking for a new challenge soon! ;)

Way to just walk into a job and win the ACL with the previous manager's players.

:D Nothing like stealing a previous managers thunder!

Wow, that was a little bit easy! ;) Still, congrats on the ACL victory, will be interesting to see how you stamp your mark on the club. Just don't do to Melbourne what Benitez did to Inter Milan!!

It was surprisingly easy! I knew the Victory were a strong side when I took over but I didn't realise how strong they were. Hopefully, it's a sign of things to come and hopefully I won't have the 'Benitez' effect! :D

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

Season 2027/28 : Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Australian Hyundai A-League : Board expectation - Win it : Media expectation - 1st (out of 11)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Club World Championship : Semi Final

Transfer budget : £9.41M

Wage budget : £55.4k p/w

Current wage bill : £47.93k p/w

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

Season 2027/28 : Mid-season update

Australian Hyundai A-League : Both the board and the media are expecting us to win the league this season and looking at my squad (and the financial backing we have), I’m expecting us to win the league too. So, at the halfway mark, I’m pleased that we’re looking good to fulfill those expectations. We’re knocking the ball around neatly, playing with confidence and whilst we’re not smashing the goals in, we’re shutting the opposition out (a trait that my teams are becoming renowned for now). We’ve got games in hand and with no cup competitions to distract us with, we should be able to continue our form to go on and claim the title. :D

MelbourneVictory.png

Melbourne Victory

Season 2027/28 : Review

Australian A-League/Australian A-League progress/Australian A-League fixtures : As I said at the mid-season update, everybody was expecting us to win the league…and we didn’t disappoint as we claimed the title by a massive 24 points, not losing a game all season! A fantastic full debut season for me…there’s nothing much more to say! :D

Australian A-League Finals Series : We managed to scrape through to the final after clambering past Brisbane Roar in the semis which set up a final against arch rivals Melbourne Heart. They were no match for us though as we comfortably won 3-0 which showed why they finished 30 points behind us in the league.

Asian Champions League : I was a little surprised this year when we weren’t entered into the Asian Champions League as we were the defending champions. But apparently, the defending ACL champions don’t automatically qualify and as we didn’t win or finish as runners up in last seasons Australian A-League Finals Series, we were left without any ACL football this season :(.

Club World Championship : Even though we didn’t qualify for this seasons ACL, we were in the CWC because of our ACL victory last season. It was always going to be difficult for us though against the stronger European (Athletico Madrid) and South American teams (Flamengo) and that showed as we were easily beaten by both teams 3-0.

Transfers : We brought in some fine talent this year as we spent £2.8 million. For that money we got Sam Brown and John Porter from Central Coast Mariners for a combined fee of £505k, Michael Prentice and Gianni Pappas from Gold Coast United for a combined fee of £510k, Tony King from Olimpia (HON) on a free transfer, Marquinhos Parana from Atletico Mineiro for a personal transfer fee record of £1.5 million, Tony Dowling from North Qld Fury for £100k, Martin Doyle from Perth Glory for £150k and Jordan Corliss from Wellington Phoenix for £40k.

Squad : The squad is looking fantastic and very strong which was proven as they romped home to the league title and the finals series. It undoubtedly had quality in it when I first arrived but I feel that the additions that I’ve made this year has made the squad one of the best in Asia. Every single player in the squad had a part to play in our success this year but in particular players that stood out for us were Ante Gabrilo who was our top scorer as he banged in 21 goals in all competitions, Carlao, who claimed both the Hyundai A-League Player of the Year award and the Hyundai A-League Foreign Player of the Year award, Adel Price who proved to be a great shot stopper as he racked up 20 clean sheets to claim the Hyundai A-League Goalkeeper of the Year award and Sam Brown who, despite starting more games on the bench than he did in the first eleven, claimed the Hyundai A-League Young Player of the Year award. With the squad still pretty young too, there’s just no telling how far these players can go. I’d even go as far as saying that they could well dominate the Asian scene for some time to come…provided of course they don’t start making noises about moving to bigger clubs, which incidentally, our star defender Billy Payne has already stated.

Finances : The finances are looking nice and healthy which only bodes well for the future :D.

The only disappointment this year was the news that our facilities have been downgraded. Not good news for the training and development of our own players.

Career Summary

2013/14  Happy Valley       Hong Kong First Division          1st      Lge Champions, Senior Shield Winners
2027/28  Melbourne Victory  Australian Hyundai A-League       1st      Lge Champions, Finals Series Winners

Congrats on your A-League win, stroll in the park! :thup:

Like you, I'm surprised that you didn't enter the ACL as defending champions. I expect it's never happened before IRL when the defending champion has not finished high enough in their respective league so that they wouldn't have qualified. UEFA only changed the rules a few years ago due to Liverpool winning the Champions League and only finishing 5th in the league, it was a very grey area in the competition rules. I suppose they haven't needed to do so in Asia but it is daft that you didn't have the opportunity to defend your trophy though!

Good luck for next season, at least you've definitely qualified for the ACL now :D

Congrats on your A-League win, stroll in the park! :thup:

Like you, I'm surprised that you didn't enter the ACL as defending champions. I expect it's never happened before IRL when the defending champion has not finished high enough in their respective league so that they wouldn't have qualified. UEFA only changed the rules a few years ago due to Liverpool winning the Champions League and only finishing 5th in the league, it was a very grey area in the competition rules. I suppose they haven't needed to do so in Asia but it is daft that you didn't have the opportunity to defend your trophy though!

Good luck for next season, at least you've definitely qualified for the ACL now :D

Cheers AK, it was a little too easy...not that i'm complaining though! :D Yeah, I remember that whole thing with Liverpool now. It was a bit silly not being able to defend their trophy. As you say though, at least we'll have ACL football next season.

Spot on, Raware! It's clear you can do well, given the resources. Another season there in Aussie-land, with another championship and a good run in the ACL, and it'll be time to head to South America. :)

Cheers DSYoungEsq :thup:. The resources available to me have definitely helped me a lot! I'm not sure about a move to South America though...I don't have the leagues loaded! :D I've only got the Asian leagues loaded in this save as I wanted to do a purely Asian save, hence the name of my thread. After Australia though, there's only really South Korea that i'd probably want to go to now. After that i'm not sure...what else would there be to do?

Archived