A bizarre result.But i think i need to cut down on opposition chances?

in my opinion you're playing very offensive, which will work against Bolton as you're clearly the better team, but will not work against Samp because they can easily counterattack you due to the massive gaps in your tactic. you have 4 attacling players with high CF and attacking mentality which means they're only concerned with attacking. then you have roberto carlos and VDV who are not particularly good at defending. then your defensive line is set at medium which stretches your team coupled with your attack mentality. then you have man marking and high pressing which will encourage your players to follow opposing players and be dragged out of position. all this equates to a high rist/high reward strategy. when your team clicks against a lower level team like Bolton (no offence to Bolton fans) you will will handily. that's because your team has better quality - Bolton had the same chances as you, they just did not take them. but a team like Sampdoria is designed to defend very organized and then break into the space you have left. I'm guessing Cassano thrived in the spaces between your defence and midfiels, and between your DCs and FB, and was able to have plenty of time to create easy chances for the Samp attack and maybe even score himself.

I suggest unticking your defensive line and using a gallas-sweeper/king-stopper combo to take care of over the top balls caused by your high line. also switch marking to zonal and consider using 2 difensive minded CMs, or Modric as a deep lying pm agaisnt stronger opposition. this will bablance your team more. also think about creating som trata in attack by making one of your strikers and wingers in a support mentality, as this should create more passing triangles and help you retain the ball.

good luck

thanks for the suggestions Pandemonium i will take everything on board and hopefully be able to come up with a better tactic.

just one thing though. as mentioned on the Spurs team guide as well about my formation being very attacking.i have come across a tactic ive downloaded and as a trial i ran half a season in holiday mode and the results were insane.scoring goals for fun and hardly conceding. yet the attacking mentality seemed mad when i looked at it.Its called Ghost Tactic V3.

Both fullbacks on attacking.A DMC on support and the rest of the team on attacking mentality too. So how come hardly any goals were being conceded??

I don't know the specifics of this Ghost tactic, but it is perfectly possible to create a very attacking tactic and have success. you just have to be cohesive with your approach. if you attack with 7 players you have to make sure that you don't give your opponent time and space to exploit the spaces you leave at the back. you can do this by having a high defensive line, make sure your defenders have good positioning and anticipation and are somewhat quick so that they don't get caught out, and also make sure your attacking players press the opponent high up the pitch to prevent them from giving accurate balls. at least this is in theory. in the FM world it's also possible to create tactics that exploit the AI and are plug and play. I'm not saying this ghost tactic is exploiting the AI, but if you win without any kind of change for a half season, there's a good chance it is.

Archived