Corner -waste of time? I even get more goals from through ins!!!

Previously I were always happy if I had won a corner. In FM11, I've begun to feel bad if I get a corner.

I have tried anything which should work for my players. It feels like a complete waste of energie to put defenders forward because of the almost none existent score succes from so to say "Normal corners". I've got whole lots of corners. I've even trained much Att Set pieces...

Further more it anoys me that I cant put two men to run at the posts, and also just one man for the other instructions too is really weird. The Corner creater is great, But the options allowed to set for players are disapointing. I always used to have two men in the 6 yard box. Not even that is posible in FM11...

Any with same experience?

yup....Put a big DC on stand far post and hoof it to him. One other guy on att near post. One guy lurking. Everyone else forward or back. Works well enough for me. corner setting- far post...Djourou have scored 10 goal from corner for me

thanx for your advices. Actually that's similar to what I'm using...

DC running to far post (Chiellini), the other DC on the keeper in addition two preeety good headers standing on each post. Del Piero takes it (He is the only corner taker i've seen with 20) Aiming for far post. (always two men back. Also used a lurker by standard, as he often pick up the loose ball...)

2 regular corner goals on 2/3 of the season...

Maybe I should try with more players on the "forward" role, as I dont have an option to put more perssure on the far post.

As Tottenham Dawson has 14 (5) appearances with 8 goals scored in total. In the champions league he has 2 apps and 3 goals. I have Ledley King as my main stopper and he has 4 goals from 29 apps (2 from 5 in champions league) but whenever I play Dawson he just bangs em in almost every game. He has an average rating of 7.3 as well. I don't use att setpieces as match preparation but my corner takers are good at it and have high technique as well so that helps. I have only changed corners from mixed to far post which is where my stopper defender (DCR) is at.

btw. If you want two players on the far post you can have one attack and one stand on far post but I did this a few times with crouch standing on far post and it didn't help much at all as there would be an extra defender there as well making it more likely for the ball to get cleared away.

Edit: just read your last post and maybe it helps if you get the good headers away from the posts as it only increases the amount of defenders in front of the goal which makes it more difficult to score and more likely that the ball gets headed away.

btw. If you want two players on the far post you can have one attack and one stand on far post but I did this a few times with crouch standing on far post and it didn't help much at all as there would be an extra defender there as well making it more likely for the ball to get cleared away.

Edit: just read your last post and maybe it helps if you get the good headers away from the posts as it only increases the amount of defenders in front of the goal which makes it more difficult to score and more likely that the ball gets headed away.

Very useful points!! I'll consider more about that next time :-)

Ya, take the guy away from the goalie. Just have one guy at or attacking far post. Basically you want a 1 vs 1 battle for the header with no one else there to deflect a goalbound ball. If your guy is stronger he will win out often enough.

I'm actually enjoying the set-pieces a great deal more with FM11 than any previous version. Finally, I believe that what's seen in the match engine is much more realistic, instead of the crazy ways it was so easy to exploit things previously, especially with corners.

I can understand the frustration of those who perhaps used the corner exploits in previous versions, as there's no particularly guaranteed way of getting goals from a corner now. There are some very good and also very sensible methods that others have suggested in this thread so far though, which you'll see many teams use effectively IRL.

chadnw particularly makes a good suggestion above, because just as in open play, the best opportunities are usually clear-cut chances. If you can find a way to get a corner to someone who's mostly unimpeded when it comes to getting his head or boot on the end of a corner, he's ever so much more likely to score, than someone who has more players in his way.

Previously I used to score 10-15 (league) goals from corner. I know recent from forum that there have been some corner exploits, I didnt want to read more about it though. hehe. So I guess I've not used such.

If I compare to the real life (as sunday league player), I think its posible to make larger specific pressure in the Penalty Area (I know this is opposit to what I'm going to test.) -where ever in the area you want to have your men.

Also I miss options for "running to ...". We used to have a man running quickly out of the 6 yard box, when the kick was taken (confusion to defence). It used to draw a marker with him, and to meet your points actually make more space in there. Well just dreaming... ;-)

Thnx heathxxx and again to chadnw, for your contributions to my problem. I'm looking forward to test with new inspiration!" :-)

Archived