Burscough blogger

adamw83

*NON-LEAGUE WEEKLY*

Last week, despite promotion to the Blue Square North, Burscough parted company with their manager Liam Watson by mutual consent. The Lancashire based club have appointed in his place a young, inexperienced manager by the name of Adam Williamson. We caught up with him for an interview.

US: Adam, congratulations on your new job.

AW: Thanks, still struggling to find my office at the moment though!

US: At 30 years old you're one of the youngest managers on the scene at the moment.

AW: Yeah, but I feel about 45 though! I started my career as a player in Everton's youth academy but unfortunately at the age of 19, suffered a ruptured ACL in my knee and never actually played professional football. I decided to go to university and got a degree in sports and coaching science. I loved teaching the kids on my days off, and decided to do my UEFA B badge. It kind of spiraled from there, and for the last two years I've been managing in Ormskirk coaching the Edgehill university team, with lots of success.

US: What plans do you have for Burscough then?

AW: Well, I've signed a 3 year contract, and chalked up a 3 year plan with the chairman. You've got to remember we're newly promoted to this league so I think a year of consolidation in mid table would be a satisfactory 1st season. From there it's hopefully onwards and upwards, with the aim of getting into the Blue Square Premier as soon as possible.

US: What would be you ideal team to manage?

AW: Well I've supported Manchester United since I was a boy, so it'd have to be them. It'll probably be another 20 years till Sir Alex packs in though!

US: Do you dream of managing abroad one day?

AW: No probably not. I think if you manage in Spain or Italy it's a totally different brand of football, and the culture difference would be too much for me as well. The only other country I'd consider management in would probably be Scotland.

US: International management?

AW: I've got some welsh blood in me, so it'd be great to manage them or England. To be honest I think that scenario is a long way off yet!

US: What can we expect from how your team will play this year?

AW: Well I'm a bit of a traditionalist and like to play 4-4-2, but I'll probably experiment with different formations early on this season. I like to play good football, and often have good passers in the team. I'm not afraid to mix it up when the chips are down either. I do plenty of studying of the opposition as well, meticulously trying to find a chink in their armour.

US: I believe you've signed a deal for a column with a national newspaper too?

AW: That's right, I'll be writing a blog every month or so with the Daily Express giving the manager's perspective on lower league management. It should be fun.

*JULY 2007*

3 weeks in, and I’ve just about got my bearings within the club. It’s been non-stop and the phone hasn’t stopped ringing. When I first arrived and looked at the squad it looked okay but didn’t have the required quality I was looking for. So my assistant Joey Dunn and myself set about making a list of the free agents and their histories. We decided on giving trials to about 20 lads so we could assess them better both in training and actual matches.

A lot of them have come after being released by league clubs and it’s that kind of pedigree of player that we’re looking for. We ended up signing 9 of those given trials and I think all of them will add ability and depth to our squad. As ever it’s a balancing act in terms of finances so we’ve had to sell 6 players to accommodate our new acquisitions. We’ve also signed up 2 players of real quality in Darren Barnard, formerly of Chelsea at left back, and Davie Nicholls who’s got experience of the SPL in central midfield. Both are 35, but bring real quality and experience to the squad.

Training been great fun and the players seem happy with the schedules I’ve given them. I’ve focused a lot of our time on set pieces, which I believe are so crucial at this level of football. When I arrived at the club there were no scouts, so with the permission of the Chairman we’ve got 2 signed up. One will focus on scouting around the country, while the other will focus on getting detailed information on our next opponents.

We’ve had 5 friendlies so far, with 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats. The results don’t matter nearly as much as the performance in these games, and it’s given me a great chance to check out our lads, and try different tactics. I’ve definitely got a lot to learn as a manager in that department! Just one week away from the start of the season, and I can’t wait.

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE*

Vauxhall Motors 2 – 3 Burscough

Adam Williamson’s reign as Burscough boss got off the perfect start against Vauxhall, as his side twice came from behind to snatch victory. Taylor (31) pounced on a mistake from goalkeeper Cuss to put the home side in front but midfielder Nott (45) headed in Barnard’s corner on the stroke of half-time to equalize. Egerton (53) restored Vauxhall’s lead despite Burscough’s claims for offside, and held the away side comfortably until Nott’s quick free kick set up the goal for centre back Inglis (85). A late deflected strike from forward Kilheeney (88) snatched the 3 points for Burscough.

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE*

Burscough 8 – 0 Solihull Moors

An amazing night of football at Victoria Park which resulted in a double hat trick for striker Ciaran Kilheeney. The rout started after Kilheeney (4) pounced on a loose backpass and slotted past goalkeeper Crane, and Solihull knew they were in for a long night when Streete (17) put through his own goal. Kilheeny (26) lost his man for number 3 and scored his hat trick (38) after he picked on a terrible backpass from Streete. Burscough appeared to play with even more freedom after the break, and Kilheeney (67) made it 5-0 after supplying the finish to an excellent through ball by Nicholls. A fifth goal for Kilheeney (74) was achieved from a narrow angle, before 17 year old substitute Lewis Harman (76) scored on his debut. Kilheeney (83) secured his sixth when he bundled in winger Horrocks attempted shot, leaving Burscough fans singing, ‘It’s just like watching Brazil!’.

Nice start!

A couple of hints for you, though - I'd recommend that you post the squad that you're with at the monment.

I mean, it would be much easier to identify who each player was and their role in the club.

Good start though, adamw83. Keep it up.

NAME POS NAT AGE ABIL COST

Paul Cuss GK ENG 28 ** IN (0k)

Zak Hibbert GK ENG 19 - -

Adam Flynn D RC ENG 22 ** -

Mike Tomlinson D RC ENG 25 * -

Sean Clancy D L ENG 19 **** -

Stephen Grant D L ENG 22 **** IN (0k)

Dave Roberts D LC ENG 19 ** -

Franklyn Colbeck D C ENG 23 *** IN (0k)

Earl Davis D C ENG 24 ** -

Neil Fitzhenry D C ENG 28 ** -

Raymond Inglis D C SCO 19 **** IN (0k)

Farrell Kilbane D C IRL 32 ** -

Wayne Maden © D C, DM ENG 24 *** IN (0k)

Darren Barnard D/WB L WAL 35 **** IN (0k)

Matty McGinn D/WB/M L ENG 24 *** -

Adam Jones D/M R ENG 18 *** IN (0k)

Alan Morgan DM, M LC ENG 23 ** -

Kieran Murtagh M C IRL 18 **** IN (0k)

Dave Nicholls (vc) M C SCO 35 ***** IN (1k)

Billy Nott MC ENG 21 **** IN (0k)

Luke Horrocks AM R ENG 19 *** IN (0k)

Matty Parry AM R ENG 23 ** -

Matthew McClymont AM L ENG 18 ** IN (0k)

Lewis Harman ST ENG 17 - IN (0k)

Ciaran Kilheeney ST IRL 23 **** -

Allan Smart ST SCO 33 ** loan

*RADIO SCRIPT – DUNE FM*

GH: Hello! Welcome to the Ged Hall football show! This is the show where we talk about our local football teams, and I’m delighted to say we’ve got a special guest in tonight. It’s Burscough’s new manager Adam Williamson!

AW: Hi Ged.

GH: We’ve got a few callers lined up wanting to ask questions to Adam, so shall we crack on? Our first caller is John from Ormskirk. Hi John?

J: Hi Ged, hi Adam. Congratulations on our start to the season, I was at Vicky Park on Monday night and I have to say that was as good a performance as I’ve ever seen from Burscough, and I’ve been going for 15 years!

AW: Cheers John, it’s good to know we’re playing some good football right from the off.

J: It was great. Surely based on that performance alone, never mind the battling win at Vauxhall on Saturday, we’ve got a great chance of going up this season?

AW: Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here John. We’re only 2 games into a 42 game season! We’ve made a very encouraging start, but believe it or not these players need time to gel, and that’ll happen over time. The Chairman and myself sat down last month and decided that a mid table position would be a decent season, and I stick by that despite the two wins.

GH: Ok, next caller, Graham from Burscough, hi Graham?

G: Yeah, I just want to bring up a point with Adam. Do you not think you’ve changed the side too much during pre-season? I mean, 11 players in, and 7 out is a massive change of personnel, I didn’t recognize half the team last night! Us fans want players we can relate to, and that are proud to pull on the shirt. I mean, you’ve sold half of last year’s midfield, including the former captain Chris Price?

AW: I take your point Graham, but I think you saw from the performance last night that the players we’ve got in are of a higher calibre than those that have left. I think a step up in division should mean a step up in personnel.

G: But you didn’t give the players the chance! They’re the ones that got us promoted!

AW: I’m afraid I saw enough in training and their friendly appearances to decide Graham. These new players are very proud to play for Burscough, and I can guarantee under my leadership they’ll give 100%. Hopefully you’ll warm to them over time.

GH: Ok, next we have Ben from Formby.

B: Hi guys. With so many players brought in, I just wondered if we were taking a risk with the finances. How much are these new guys costing?

AW: It a fair concern Ben, but we’ve got it all under control. A lot of the lads brought in are young and are therefore on relatively low wages. In fact since I’ve taken over the wage bill has dropped 20%, and we’ve also made a net profit of £48k from transfers. So everything is in good shape.

GH: Alright, final caller now, Mike from Southport.

M: Hi chaps. I’m a Southport fan, and it’s certainly strange to see another local side above us in the league at the moment! Well done on your good start Adam.

AW: Thanks Mike, good to hear.

M: Anyway, your boys are coming to Haig Avenue in 2 weeks time for the big derby, I just wondered what your thoughts were about the game?

AW: Well it’s nice to know the fans now have a fixture they can look forward too! I mean Southport FC has done so much for the local community over the years I respect the club a lot. I really like Peter Davenport as a manager too, I think he does a good job with the resources he has available to him, and I’m looking forward to the match in a big way. I hope it’ll be exciting for the fans, and hopefully ours go to work with the bragging rights on Monday morning!

GH: Thanks for coming in Adam.

*RESULTS ALERT SERVICE*

Hinckley United 2 - 2 Burscough

A last minute own goal by Davie Nicholls prevented Burscough from recording a smash and grab win at Hinckley. The game started badly for the visitors when keeper Paul Cuss cleared straight to Hinckley midfielder Callum Lloyd (13) who stabbed the ball into an empty net. It could have been worse for Burscough when Cuss watched Jackson’s header hit the upright. Hinckley continued to apply the pressure before and after the break, with Jackson guilty of missing the most clear-cut opportunities. With 10 minutes to go, the game changed dramatically when McGinn’s (78) solo run and finish from the left made it 1-1, before substitute Harman (81) curled in a superb effort from 25 yards to put Burscough ahead. However there was a twist in injury time, when veteran Nicholls (90) sliced an attempted clearance from a corner into his own net.

Burscough: Cuss, Flynn, Barnard, Inglis, Fitzhenry, Horrocks, McGinn (McClymont 79), Nicholls, Maden (Murtugh 79), Kilheeney, Smart (Harman 79).

Attendance: 467

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE*

Burscough 3 – 3 Hyde United

Another extraordinary game at Victoria Park saw the lead change three times before a last minute equalizer by super-sub Lewis Harman earnt Burscough a point. The game started badly for Neil Fitzhenry who was booked after 30 seconds and then gave away a fifth minute penalty for a trip on Gareth Seddon. His blushes were spared however when Cuss saved Seddon’s spot kick. However, Hyde still had the better of the first 45 minutes and deservedly went in 1-0 up at half time thanks to Steve Bushell’s (29) fine strike on the half hour. The second half was more even and Nicholls (68) equalized from the edge of the box, before a neat one-two let Kilheeney (71) in for his 8th of the season. Burscough held firm until Hyde forward Chris Simm (85) lobbed Cuss to make it 2-2, before Simm (89) outpaced Fitzhenry and slotted home to surely earn Hyde the victory. However teenage substitute Lewis Harman (90) grabbed his 3rd goal in 3 games with a swivel and drive from 12 yards to grab a deserved point for the home side.

Burscough: Cuss, Jones, Barnard, Inglis, Fitzhenry, Horrocks, McGinn (McClymont 71), Nicholls, Maden (Murtugh 71), Kilheeney, Smart (Harman 71).

Attendance: 627

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE*

Southport 2 – 3 Burscough

Allan Smart’s first goal for Burscough proved the winner in today’s enthralling North-West Derby. Burscough made four changes from the side’s 3 –3 draw against Hyde two days ago, and started the brighter with Moogan’s effort tipped over by Whiteside. However it was Southport who took the lead when Davidson (19) rose highest to head in Duffy’s corner. Captain Davie Nicholls (34) made it 1-1 after converting the pull back from Kilheeney, and then Nicholls’ (38) superb dipping volley from 30 yards made it 2-1 to the visitors. Burscough contained their hosts well in the second half, until sub Neil Robinson (71) slipped his marker to level it up again. It was left to Smart (80) to secure the bragging rights for the Burscough fans, as he scored with a well-placed looping header from Kilheeney’s cross. The result keeps Burscough in 2nd place, and Southport in the relegation zone.

Burscough: Cuss, Jones, Barnard, Inglis, Flynn, Horrocks, McClymont (McGinn 75), Nicholls, Moogan (Nott 75), Kilheeney, Harman (Smart 71).

Attendance: 811

*AUGUST 2007 REVIEW*

Well into the swing of the new season, and I’ve got to say I’m pleasantly surprised by the start we’ve made. 11 points from 5 games is a great return, and with 28 goals in that period we’re certainly giving the fans value for money! The victory at Southport on Monday night was excellent, a really disciplined performance, and the spirit we showed to win it was great. We’ve scored in the last 10 minutes of all our games so far, and it shows the pre-season training must have got the players fully fit. As for Southport, it’s very early days for them, and they’ll be climbing up the table in no time.

Tactically so far, things have worked out well. I experimented with 4-5-1 the opening game of the season, but the change to 4-4-2 for the Solihull game obviously worked! Second half of that game, I told them to keep the passing short and the tempo low and try and pick their way through, and they rewarded me with 4 goals. Defensively so far we’ve not been great, 9 conceded is nearly two per game, but once Franklyn Colbeck comes back from his neck injury next week we should be tighter.

Some of the personal performances so far have been superb, Kilheeney and Nicholls deserve special mention, but the whole team has played their part. Believe it or not, despite the 19 goals we’ve scored, I’m still looking for another striker! I just feel it’s a large burden on Kilheeney, Smart and 17 year old Harman to carry the attack all season, especially if we get a couple of injuries. I’m on the look out for another right winger too, again to bolster the squad. Perhaps a couple of loan deals will materialize this month.

We’ve got a tough opening draw in the Setanta Shield, away at Vauxhall, and if we get through the next game is away from home too. I’m not overly worried, as I’ll be more focused on the league this season anyway. Despite our good start, I maintain we’re punching well above our weight and any ideas of promotion or play-offs should defiantly be put on the back burner at present. Extremely enjoyable experience so far though, I’d better appreciate it while it lasts!

• 3 weeks later...

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE* 1/9/08

Burscough 0 – 1 Gainsborough

Burscough tasted competitive defeat for the first time under manager Adam Williamson with a lackluster display at Victoria Road. Lewis McMahon’s (45) fine strike from 20 yards just before half-time sealed the win for the visitors, in a game where Burscough vice-captain Davie Nicholls broke a toe, and is expected to be out for around six weeks. Mcmahon’s goal was the only meaningful action of a poor first half, and the home side really should have equalized on 65 minutes when Inglis missed a great chance from 6 yards. A triple sub on 70 minutes from Williamson failed to spark a revival, despite Barnard’s free-kick going just over the bar. Gainsborough’s defense cleared a last minute goalmouth scramble as they held on for the 3 points.

Burscough: Cuss, Jones, Barnard, Inglis, Flynn, Horrocks, McGinn (McClymont 69), Nicholls, Nott (Moogan 69), Kilheeney, Smart (Harman 69).

Attendance: 647

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE* 10/9/08

Kettering Town 2 – 2 Burscough

Loan signing James Sinclair scored on his debut, as battling Burscough came from 2-0 down a grab a point at Rockingham Road. Craig Westcarr (1) scored inside a minute to give Kettering the lead, and it was 2-0, when Westcarr (14) grabbed his second from Beardsley’s knockdown. The home side should have put the game to bed before the break, with Westcarr, and Howson both missing guilt edged chances. Burscough got back into the match when striker Sinclair (66) converted Barnard’s free-kick, before in-form Kilheeney (78) rose unmarked to head in a corner from new signing Jay Denny.

Burscough: Cuss, Jones, Barnard, Inglis, Colbeck, Horrocks, McGinn (McClymont 87), Denny, Maden (Moogan 78), Kilheeney (Smart 87), Sinclair.

Attendance: 1217

*RESULT ALERT SERVICE* 15/9/08

Burscough 1 – 1 Blyth Spartans

Darren Barnard’s late penalty secured a point for Burscough against highflying Blyth. In an even first half Sinclair saw his shot tipped over, while at the other end Blyth should have taken the lead when Dale’s header hit the upright. Seconds after half time Bell (46) latched on to a long throw and slotted home to give the away side the lead. Kilheeney fluffed an opportunity from 10 yards on 72 minutes when he skewed over, however Barnard (81) equalized for Burscough from the spot, after Forster had allegedly tripped Sinclair. Blyth could have won it in injury time, but Fenton shot wide when clean through on goal.

Burscough: Cuss, Jones, Barnard, Inglis, Colbeck, Denny (Horrocks 84), McGinn, Murtagh, Maden (Moogan 68), Kilheeney, Sinclair (Smart 81).

Attendance: 506

1. Tamworth 19

2. Blyth S 18

3. Hinckley 18

4. Kettering 16

5. Nuneton 14

6. Burscough 13

7. Gainsboro’ 12

8. Worcester 12

RESULTS

18/9/08

Worcester City 1 – Wilding (61)

Burscough 1 – Sinclair (57)

22/9/08

Burscough 2 – Barnard (pen 23), Sinclair (26)

Harrogate 1 – Hackworth (90)

25/9/08

Tamworth 1 – Morrison (89)

Burscough 2 – Bayly (48), Kilheeney (69)

29/9/08 – F.A. Cup (2nd Q Rd)

Burscough 3 – Kilheeney (15), Sinclair (17), Smart (47)

Mossley 2 – Hemmings (56, 58)

Transfers In:- Sinclair (Bolton – loan), Denny (Halesowen –16k), Bayly (Leeds – loan), Tuck (Farsley – loan)

Transfers Out:- Kilbane (Leigh – 0k)

League

3. Tamworth 21

4. Hinckley 21

5. Burscough 20

6. Gainsboro’ 19

7. Stalybridge 18

*SEPTEMBER 2008*

Another successful month for myself and the team, and 3 wins on the bounce shows we’re starting to gel as a unit. We played fantastic against Harrogate, and got a great result away at Tamworth, proving we can mix it with the best in this division. Only one clean sheet all season is beginning to worry me, but on paper it does appear to be the area we have least experience and ability in. Our loan signing’s have really given us a shot in the arm though, and it’s great to have players with the ability of Sinclair and Bayly on our books for the season.

The Mossley game on Saturday was a good result, but I wasn’t happy with the level of aggression their side showed. Bayly got concussion, and Sinclair and Kilheeney both got kicked off the park, which means all three are out for the next couple of weeks. 6 yellow cards for Mossley showed how they came to play.

Tactically I’m starting to get my head around how I want the lads to play. I prefer my teams to build up slowly and be patient, but two of our goals on Saturday came from balls over the top, which shows we’ve got to be versatile. I believe set pieces are really important at this level, so training has been focusing a lot on this area, both defending and attacking. It seems to be working with 4 goals already from set pieces this season, helped enormously by the great delivery from Darren Barnard.

We’ve drawn Southport away in the 3rd qualifying round of the cup, which is another local derby for our fans to savour! I’m really happy with our start to the season, long may it continue.

• 3 months later...

RESULTS

6/10/07

Burscough 2 - Barnard (pen 15), Inglis (56)

Leigh RMI 0 -

9/10/07 - Setanta Shield North 1st Round

Vauxhall Motors 1 - Heler (23)

Burscough 0 -

13/10/07 - FA Cup 3rd Round Qualifying

Southport 1 - Robinson (40)

Burscough 1 - Tuck (28)

17/10/07 - FA Cup 3rd Round Qualifying Replay

Burscough 4 - Barnard (17), Harman (25), Smart (45), Tuck (73)

Southport 0 -

20/10/07

Alfreton Town 1 - Reet (60)

Burscough 6 - Smart (6, 10, 31, 45), De Vita (34, 47)

23/10/07

Burscough 3 - De Vita (27, 70), Barnard (pen 40)

Boston United 1 - Leabon (10)

27/10/07 - FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying

Colwyn Bay 2 - Thomas (82), Williams (88)

Burscough 3 - De Vita (9, 24), Smart (13)

31/10/07

Telford 0 -

Burscough 2 - Sinclair (13), De Vita (66)

*OCTOBER 2007*

A hectic, but very successful month for the club! 6 league wins on the trot and into the 1st round of the FA Cup proper, where we have a fantastic glamour tie away at Leeds! The whole club is buzzing, and so it should be, we've had some great results and some great performances too.

Kilheeney's injury against Mossley last month, coupled with Sinclair's meant I was on the look out for a short term replacement striker, and boy did I find one! Raffaele De Vita has come over from nearby Blackburn for 3 months on loan, and has bagged 7 in 4 games so far. He's got pace, skill and is a good finisher, and to be honest he's way too good for this level of football.

We've needed a big squad because 8 games in 25 days is a big ask for players at any level and with some good young talent and some great loan signings I feel we've got the players necessary to go all the way this year.

I picked up the manager of the month award, and to be honest I'm delighted. I still get really nervous before games, wondering if my tactics are up to scratch and whether I'm getting the best out of the players, but I'm loving every minute. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I love to tinker with all sorts of things tactically. I believe the key to winning games is staying one step ahead of the opposition, and it seems to be working for now!

RESULTS

3/11/07

Burscough 0 -

Redditch United 1 - Rea (90)

6/11/07

Burscough 4 - Barnard (pen 18, pen 43), De Vita (29), Asher og (45)

Hucknall Town 3 - Bacon (14, 85), Saunders (54)

9/11/07 - FA Cup 1st Round

Leeds United 4 - Elding (19, 34), Kandol (38), Thompson (60)

Burscough 1 - Kilheeney (74)

21/11/07

Stalybridge Celtic 2 - Ellington (3, 23)

Burscough 0 -

24/11/07 - FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Hampton & Richmond 0 -

Burscough 2 - De Vita (19), Barnard (pen 69)

27/11/07

Burscough 2 - Sinclair (45), Harman (83)

Nuneaton Borough 1 - Collins (56)

*NOVEMBER 2007*

It was inevitable, but things haven't been quite as rosy this month! 3 defeats and to be honest some poor performances for our side, but winning the last two games has at least stopped the slide. The Redditch defeat was a bit of a sucker punch in injury time and tough away games at Leeds and Stalybridge means I can't be too hard on our boys, but when there's only 1 automatic spot for promotion we need to keep high standards.

The Leeds match was a great experience for the lads, especially as it was live on Sky on the Friday night. We were comfortably outplayed but the 10,000 crowd and the TV revenue netted us around £250k. Which obviously is plenty of money for a club our size.

Tactically I've been found wanting a couple of times though. Our build-up play was too slow against Stalybridge and we got punished. Their striker Ellington was a right handful, his pace, height and strength means he's pretty prolific at this level.

We took our chances well against Hampton & Richmond and got a little lucky against Nuneaton in our latest game. I brought Lewis Harman on with 7 minutes to go and he scored with his first touch!

Kilheeney and Nicholls have both copped a bit of flack recently from the fans, which I feel is slightly harsh as both are coming back from fairly lengthy injuries. I'm sure both will get their form back and they'll be integral in our push for promotion this season.

In other news we've appointed another Physio to try and help with injuries and we're on the look out for a feeder club. The board will give me feedback on that in the next few weeks. I've been scouting a couple of players which we're considering putting in bids for, after all we're pretty flush after the cup run. Don't panic, we're not going for Ronaldo just yet!

Archived