Finally!! The Barcelona Tactic :D

Hey avfc here it goes... I think Paulo Henrique will be good for the Xavi role, and you say that Fellaini fits the requirements of Xavi (and I must say I was surprised to hear that, I thought he's more of a Busquets). I'm going on a limb here but try Fellaini in the Iniesta role and go looking for an Iniesta player (Hazard fits well in that role from my experience, and he's fantastic in the STC role).

Your spot on with your Neymar analysis, but I'd switch Suarez to the right flank as (from my experience) he scores more when he's through from the right side (I dunno why, it just seems easier for him to place the ball inside-out than outside-in, and I've played with him since day one, check my OP). Ashley Young could do a job on the left (you can retrain Lukaku there too)..but Balotelli (although a good player) doesn't fit the defensive part of the tactic (and as I mentioned this is a much more agressive tactic in terms of closing down).

So retraining is the answer for the players who are out of position.

There also a total of five other variations in formation to this tactic (I use them all in one match, switch them up every 15 minutes to annoy the opposition.)

You have the: gk, dr, dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,stc,str,stl

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,stc,str,stl

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,amr,aml,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,amr,aml,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,stc,stc,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,stc,stc,stc

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey avfc here it goes... I think Paulo Henrique will be good for the Xavi role, and you say that Fellaini fits the requirements of Xavi (and I must say I was surprised to hear that, I thought he's more of a Busquets). I'm going on a limb here but try Fellaini in the Iniesta role and go looking for an Iniesta player (Hazard fits well in that role from my experience, and he's fantastic in the STC role).

Your spot on with your Neymar analysis, but I'd switch Suarez to the right flank as (from my experience) he scores more when he's through from the right side (I dunno why, it just seems easier for him to place the ball inside-out than outside-in, and I've played with him since day one, check my OP). Ashley Young could do a job on the left (you can retrain Lukaku there too)..but Balotelli (although a good player) doesn't fit the defensive part of the tactic (and as I mentioned this is a much more agressive tactic in terms of closing down).

So retraining is the answer for the players who are out of position.

There also a total of five other variations in formation to this tactic (I use them all in one match, switch them up every 15 minutes to annoy the opposition.)

You have the: gk, dr, dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,stc,str,stl

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,stc,str,stl

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,amr,aml,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,amr,aml,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,dmc,mcr,mcl,stc,stc,stc

gk,dr,dl,dc,dc,mc,mcr,mcl,stc,stc,stc

Thanks alot for the feedback mate! i'll try Suarez on the right and Young on the left and start retraining. Fellaini has been so awesome for me, he scores a surprising amount of goals and he is also insane on corners! If Fellaini doesnt work i can always sell him Real Madrid keep putting bids in!If i do let him go who is best to get for Xavi's possition?

I've just brought Henrique he is 23/24 now(im at work so cant check) and his stats are insane!

Have you tried Hazard as AML? If so how did he do?

Great tactic! I'm trying to tweak it so I can get abit more out of messi, his not dribbling and running at players as much as he should, u got ideas? I have so far toned down number of thur balls he plays to sometimes and the wing players thur balls to often.. Other then that I'm not sure

tablesr.jpg

tableres.jpg

I know this is a Barcelona tactic but I liked the style that much that I tried to change the Messi role to a target man. I changed the wide players to cross to target man and this is what has happened so far. I don't expect the good form to continue forever but so far we are doing great.

tablellore.th.jpg

Llorente has ripped people apart I wish he had more assists but his goal tally and average rating is brilliant. I liked this tactic before and now it can use targetman it makes me like it even more, this is my favourite tactic so far on FM11 by some distance the possession and attractive attacking football is second to no other tactic.

Here we go...

This is a guide for players who DON'T use Barce or are re-building their Barce team.

If you're playing with Barce use the following:

GK- Valdes

DR- Alves

DCR- Puyol

DCL- Pique

DL- Abidal

DMC- Busquetes

MCR- Xavi

MCL- Iniesta

STC- Messi

FR- Pedro

FL- Villa

Moving on we will be looking at how to replicate the playing style of those players, but with different teams. And in FM of course!!

This tactic will press from the front by nature, it will become a regular sight to see your STC tackle the DC and win the ball at least once every game. So there is no dangerous of a lack of high pressure (don't forget the tips I offered on when you're chasing the game, they also apply high pressure.)

However High pressure is applied for two reasons: 1- Try to win the ball high up the pitch (rarely happens for a number of reasons, such as forwards are not well drilled to defensive duties and are out-numbered by defenders). 2- Force the opposition to concede possession early.

No. 2 is usually what happens. Basically the defender ends up punting the ball upfield, the danger here is that it goes in behind the defense and the opp. striker is faster hence getting through on ball. There is also a possibility that the opp. striker can win the 50-50 ball and start a counter attack.

In this tactic we use the 10 players in the build up process and 8 in attack, so the CB are usually alone at the back. This puts extra burden on those two in terms of requirements to be able to defend their defensive duties.

Their requirements are (they all must be 15+): Anticipation (they need to anticipate where the ball will be played next), Concentration (so they are alert at all times), positioning (so that they are in the right place), Strength & agression & height (to fight off a physical striker in a 50-50), Pace & Acceleration (to hamper the danger of a quick striker), headers (to win headers!).

But then after winning the ball, they must rebuild the attack. so they must have good technique (at least 12, to bring down the ball if uncontested), composure (15+ so that they are calm and play the ball to feet if someone is trying to close them down)

Now its impossible to find a CB who has all these attributes, so it is good to split the attributes into two or three players and use them depending on the kind of strikers you are facing (the strong anticipator, the quick one, the comfortable on the ball), In my recent save I bought Samba, Jones from Blackburn and M'bia from Marseille. I have conceded 3 goals in 10 games in the premier-league. I think I went the first 7 or 8 games without conceding a goal.

But that is not just down to my CBs, there is another player who is very important to the defensive phase, and that is the DMC.

Your DMC has to be an energetic one, someone who will go up and act as a midfield sweeper, but is also fast and hungry enough to go back quicly when the ball is punted towards his CBs and sweeps any 50-50 balls, think of Mascherano for example.

Players in that role should have a high workrate (17+), high teamwork. They have good anticipation and are strong tacklers (15+). They are not slow (Pace 13 +). It is a bonus if they are strong, aggressive and good headers, but you should focus on securing the other attributes first. I bought M'villa for that role, and Moussa Sisoko (although doesn't fit the attributes perfectly), would be a fantastic option as well.

If you have these players you will definetly be able to trap your opposition in their own half for most periods of the game, but it has no effect on whether you'll create any chances or take them if presented. This level though is good enough to get you in the top 4. I played my 1st season with Liverpool without making a single purchase, got 6th position. I went out and bought the 4 players I mentioned without making any alterations in my midfield or forwards and expect to be in the top 4. Yet I'm now 3 (2 games behind first place, but 1 point behind them) after 10 games.

I haven't tested this part on the tactic yet, but I think I can address it now based on my previous experience.

So to get your team challenging for the title, you'll need players who will take the little chances presented or be a real danger in the final third. I'm talking about your 3 strikers.

Now the attributes of those 3 are very loose and are up to your imagination. I can't tell you what they shouldn't be and then its up to your creativity to find the right players.

You don't need tall or slow players for this tactic, not even strong powerful ones. That's it! you can improvise from there !

But my personal preference is to buy quick, skilfull players, they don't have to be good finishers actually, but they have to be able to torment defenders.

For example the best player to use in the STC position (other than Messi), is Hazard. Yet his finishing is 8! but his ability to take on two or three defenders at a time and dash towards goal will get him a lot of goals. And to make finishing an easier matter I ask him to pass the ball into the net (so he relies on his passing attribute rather than the finishing) or lob the keeper. Basically the chances you'll get with this tactic doesn't need a genius finisher, but it needs a genius player.

Those words though need to have a little bit of workrate (11+) to press the CBs a bit. They need to have (15+) high flair, dribbling, agility, technique, off the ball, pace ot acceleration.

Another good example of a striker is Neymar, I like him a lot.

Those two players are my transfer targets for next season.

But regardless of how genius your forward line can be, they won't win you championships consistently. Because they might have a bad day in the office and miss the little chances they make (or are presented), especially that the brand of footballers are like are not necessarily good finishers.

So to get your team to the invincible stage, you need players who will get them team moving and dominate the midfield, creating chances for their peers (I'm talking abot the iniesta, Xavi role of course).

The two have very similar qualities, but one is more attacking than the other. They need to have good movement to present themselves to their peers as a passing option (15+ off the ball). They must be calm and collected when they have the ball (so 15+ composure is necessary to not punt the ball under pressure). He must have a great 1st touch as well and technique in general is important (15+).

This is for the MCs to receive the ball, for them to start creating chances they should be good passers (15) with great creativity (17+)

The full-backs are very loose, I think I don't have any requirements for them other than good stamina and some workrate. They are basically used as a decoy, we use them when needed to spread the opp. defense before punishing them down the middle.

They need to be players who have the minimum requirement of attacking and defending, but they have to be skilfull. I use Stevie-G as a RB and Glen Jojhnos as a LB

That's it! if you manage to get these players and keep them motivated (easier said than done), you'll have a Barce-matching team.

good luck all and let me know how the tactic is panning out for you.

Hello Motcha I just came across your post. I am playing with Arsenal and trying to copy the barcelona formation. My question is how to arrange my front three of Arshavin, Van Persie and Nasri. I dont think that Nasrican play as a forward but I will have to check is position screen again. But I know Walcott can play as a forward. Also how would do you think I should arrange my midfield of Fabregas, Wilshere and Song. I was thinking of Wilshere for the Iniesta role and Fabregas for the Xavi role. I think Song can fullfil the Basquet role for now untill I buy a better DMC (if you can recommend a player for this role that would be great)

• 4 weeks later...

believe it or not, i'm still using the original tactic on 11.3 patch with my man city save, just won the league and the europer league. Would just like to say thanks to motcha for a gem of a tactic.

Hey James, I think you have your midfield spot on. You need to buy suitable strikers but for now Arshavin should play the Messi-role. Walcott should be on the right, van persie left.

Thanks for the link oj

I know this is a Barcelona tactic but I liked the style that much that I tried to change the Messi role to a target man. I changed the wide players to cross to target man and this is what has happened so far. I don't expect the good form to continue forever but so far we are doing great.

Llorente has ripped people apart I wish he had more assists but his goal tally and average rating is brilliant. I liked this tactic before and now it can use targetman it makes me like it even more, this is my favourite tactic so far on FM11 by some distance the possession and attractive attacking football is second to no other tactic.

Any chance of an upload AcidBurn?

excellent tactic indeed! i'm talking of the last one!

i'm with OMarseille and i had some pbs with my older tac so i skipped to this one by motcha!!

GK- Valdes --------> Mandanda

DR- Alves-----------> Fanni or Azpilicueta

DCR- Puyol---------> Mbia or Varane

DCL- Pique---------> Bassong or Cabrera

DL- Abidal---------> Taiwo

DMC- Busquetes -------->Kaboré

MCR- Xavi----------->Martin or Veloso

MCL- Iniesta--------->Hamsik or Sissoko

STC- Messi----------> Pastore or Rémy

FR- Pedro--------------> Gameiro or J.Ayew

FL- Villa-------------->Lukaku or A.Ayew

4 games, 4 wons! I expect it to be better and better

I will have to force my player to stop doing special "unadapted" moves but for now they wont agree!

• 3 weeks later...
excellent tactic indeed! i'm talking of the last one!

i'm with OMarseille and i had some pbs with my older tac so i skipped to this one by motcha!!

GK- Valdes --------> Mandanda

DR- Alves-----------> Fanni or Azpilicueta

DCR- Puyol---------> Mbia or Varane

DCL- Pique---------> Bassong or Cabrera

DL- Abidal---------> Taiwo

DMC- Busquetes -------->Kaboré

MCR- Xavi----------->Martin or Veloso

MCL- Iniesta--------->Hamsik or Sissoko

STC- Messi----------> Pastore or Rémy

FR- Pedro--------------> Gameiro or J.Ayew

FL- Villa-------------->Lukaku or A.Ayew

4 games, 4 wons! I expect it to be better and better

I will have to force my player to stop doing special "unadapted" moves but for now they wont agree!

back for some feedback!!

with patch 11.3, this tactic is really cool! My team needed some time to adjust because my style was not really the same before i started to use motcha's creation but after a few games it seemed to be better and better.

I'm still with the players I showed you except i skipped Veloso to Busquets role and A.Ayew to Iniesta's role to back up hamsik. I sold Sissoko because i have a great academy and i would like to use my own players in the team helped by some top quality players bought on the market just like barcelona.

I have a question for motcha or all of you..

with this way of playing, my FR and FL are not so prolific and they often get 6.5 to 7.5 whereas my STC gets 8 or 9!!! How do you deal with that?

another point: motcha, could you recap the favorite moves for each position???

thanx anyway for this great tactic: i'll finish the season and try to post some screens ;)

@ Wizard Boy: it is hit and miss because you are using the wrong players mate. You have an abundance of players that can in the midfield 3. Where's Arteta mate? He should be your playmaker (MCr). Cahill or Van der Vaart should be in the Iniesta (MCl). Mohammed Sissoko is an absolute no no in the position you've him in. Read my posts on how to use the tactics. for now I think you should use Cahill as STC, Van der Vaart MCl and Arteta MCr. I think it would be better if you use De Jong as DMC and Rodwell at DC.

@ Alex: great work mate. I'll post some screenshots of my save as well...especially my regens.

@ Wizard Boy: it is hit and miss because you are using the wrong players mate. You have an abundance of players that can in the midfield 3. Where's Arteta mate? He should be your playmaker (MCr). Cahill or Van der Vaart should be in the Iniesta (MCl). Mohammed Sissoko is an absolute no no in the position you've him in. Read my posts on how to use the tactics. for now I think you should use Cahill as STC, Van der Vaart MCl and Arteta MCr. I think it would be better if you use De Jong as DMC and Rodwell at DC.

@ Alex: great work mate. I'll post some screenshots of my save as well...especially my regens.

Arteta has gone. its 2014 on mine so most are a bit old. cahill is 35. i`ll try what you said with regards to the others though.

What's your team like Motcha?

I'm not sure I understand the question but if you're asking me to describe the team...I'd say it is a young team, filled with technically-gifted players from the Gk to the STC. And because its young its reckless, it only knows one way to play...possession, possession, possession... attack in numbers, create chances and score goals. It doesn't matter if its Norwich at home or Chelsea away. And when you score the 1st, keep going to get the second...if you score the fifth in the 89th minute...keep going to get the 6th.

Although young, the team is well drilled...each player plays in at least two positions. The average is that each one plays in 5 positions. CB that can be deep-lying mid-fielders, and deep-lying midfielders that can play as wingers.

The team is tightly-knit, they are all each-others favorite personnel.

I'll post a screen of my squad and wonder kids, but I seem unable to do so...I'll provide links for now

http://imageshack.us/f/64/liverpoolliverpooltactiu.png/

This is a link that has a picture of my squad. I'm posting it so people can get an idea of how a squad for this tactic should look like. This should help you wizard boy in getting your squad right.

GK: I have two firs-team keepers. I use the more experienced one (Reina) in the strong competition while the second I keep fit by playing him in cups and reserves. This comes in very handy when Reina goes through a slump, because I can then replace him with Neto who'll end up doing a job for me.

CB: I have 4 CBs in my squad and all of them have 5 things in common; they are 1) strong. 2) fast. 3) smart (look to read the game rather than tackle an opposition) 4) tall. 5) have a good technical ability. Your CBs possessing the above qualities is immense because the burden is on their shoulder to recycle possession as well as build from the back. In the case of Wizard I think having Rodwell as a CB is a must.

FB: Those should be the easiest players to find, they just recycle possession and remain wide open to provide an always open passing option.

DMC: My two DMCs are M'Villa and a regen called Hosni. When looking for a destroyer, think of one who is good with the ball rather than just a regular destroyer. Think of a player who is smart to think ahead, make the interception and immediately recycles the ball for his forwards rather than a destroyer who will attempt a tackle to win the ball. Think of Busquetes VS Masch, Fellaini VS Gravesen, Mikel VS Makalele...do you get the picture?

MCs: The most creative players on the pitch, they are split to two kinds the deep-lying ones and the box-to-box ones. Think for the first of players like Xavi or Zidane, Alonso and Charlie Adam (lesser quality). For the second type think of Gerard, Lampard and Iniesta. The best player example I can give you would be looking at Paul Scholes. You need for the MC positions two Scholesies...think of the early day Paul Scholes (1999) who used to play as AMC and score goals, thats your type of box-to-box player. Then think of 2009 Scholes who would stay deep and spray passes around to wingers, that's your deep-lying playmaker. In other words both MCs should have similar attributes with the only difference is that the dl playmaker has higher positioning than off-the-ball attribute and vice versa.

W: The most attractive players (imo) in this tactic...have you seen Barcelona's 1st goal in the Spanish Super cup this year? watch it, thats all you need know. @Wizard, you need to think of wingers mate that will look to score the goals rather than make crosses. Think of Ronaldo vs Beckham.

ST: Your playmaker, he is the highest positioned player in the pitch yet he'll move just about anywhere to get the ball, confusing the opposition CB and creating space in the process. He can see the pass as well as dashing towards the goal. Think of legendary forwards when you think of this position...think of Messi, Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff rather than players like shearer for example.

This video is the perfect example (although a little extreme) of how our stc should play, if you want him to drop as deep as you see him here just use him as an AMC. I'm refering of course to player # 14 in the video who get hold of the ball 37 secs in, that is their striker.

http://imageshack.us/f/64/liverpoolliverpooltactiu.png/

This is a link that has a picture of my squad. I'm posting it so people can get an idea of how a squad for this tactic should look like. This should help you wizard boy in getting your squad right.

GK: I have two firs-team keepers. I use the more experienced one (Reina) in the strong competition while the second I keep fit by playing him in cups and reserves. This comes in very handy when Reina goes through a slump, because I can then replace him with Neto who'll end up doing a job for me.

CB: I have 4 CBs in my squad and all of them have 5 things in common; they are 1) strong. 2) fast. 3) smart (look to read the game rather than tackle an opposition) 4) tall. 5) have a good technical ability. Your CBs possessing the above qualities is immense because the burden is on their shoulder to recycle possession as well as build from the back. In the case of Wizard I think having Rodwell as a CB is a must.

FB: Those should be the easiest players to find, they just recycle possession and remain wide open to provide an always open passing option.

DMC: My two DMCs are M'Villa and a regen called Hosni. When looking for a destroyer, think of one who is good with the ball rather than just a regular destroyer. Think of a player who is smart to think ahead, make the interception and immediately recycles the ball for his forwards rather than a destroyer who will attempt a tackle to win the ball. Think of Busquetes VS Masch, Fellaini VS Gravesen, Mikel VS Makalele...do you get the picture?

MCs: The most creative players on the pitch, they are split to two kinds the deep-lying ones and the box-to-box ones. Think for the first of players like Xavi or Zidane, Alonso and Charlie Adam (lesser quality). For the second type think of Gerard, Lampard and Iniesta. The best player example I can give you would be looking at Paul Scholes. You need for the MC positions two Scholesies...think of the early day Paul Scholes (1999) who used to play as AMC and score goals, thats your type of box-to-box player. Then think of 2009 Scholes who would stay deep and spray passes around to wingers, that's your deep-lying playmaker. In other words both MCs should have similar attributes with the only difference is that the dl playmaker has higher positioning than off-the-ball attribute and vice versa.

W: The most attractive players (imo) in this tactic...have you seen Barcelona's 1st goal in the Spanish Super cup this year? watch it, thats all you need know. @Wizard, you need to think of wingers mate that will look to score the goals rather than make crosses. Think of Ronaldo vs Beckham.

ST: Your playmaker, he is the highest positioned player in the pitch yet he'll move just about anywhere to get the ball, confusing the opposition CB and creating space in the process. He can see the pass as well as dashing towards the goal. Think of legendary forwards when you think of this position...think of Messi, Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff rather than players like shearer for example.

This video is the perfect example (although a little extreme) of how our stc should play, if you want him to drop as deep as you see him here just use him as an AMC. I'm refering of course to player # 14 in the video who get hold of the ball 37 secs in, that is their striker.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. i`ve just took over tottenham in 2016. ive got 61 mil to spend. this is the squad. tottenhamhotspurtottenhr.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tottenhamhotspurtottenh.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just had a great season with Sevilla in 2027 although the squad was great I also used the tactic with Puebla in Mexico and had great results hardly losing at all. I also changed things when my strikers were injured, moving the middle striker to AMC with forward runs often. When I had a left footed attacker I changed the right striker to have the same instructions as the left sided David Villa role. I think this tactic is the best I have used on FM11, I have tried to turn it into a 4-4-2 but had no success.

Tweaks??? never!! :D sometimes for change though you can do whats in post 301

Acid there are a number of ways to turn this into a 4-4-2, it depends on the type of players you have.

I'd be happy to help if you share your squad.

Tweaks??? never!! :D sometimes for change though you can do whats in post 301

Acid there are a number of ways to turn this into a 4-4-2, it depends on the type of players you have.

I'd be happy to help if you share your squad.

I want to try and get a 4-4-2 with a targetman that is good in the air. I wanted to start with someone like Bolton, Fulham or Stoke but I am not sure they have the skill for this tactic that said I did use it with Blackburn and had lots of success and they are not the most skilful team. Do you think it could work with a team like Stoke? They have pacey wingers on either flank and hard working CM's rather than creative ones. If not then any advice on Liverpool or Spurs starting squad?

It could work with Stoke, you never know...depending on what work means :D.

The way I did was the following; I took the MCl and made him ML who cuts inside. Then the STr to AMR. RB became an overlapping crossing one. My target man (Dzeko at the time) was moved from the STl position to STCr. and I brought the DMC to a MC position. Make sure you don't tick the target man box for this tactic as it hampers the build-up. make sure that your right flank crosses the ball often. Its an intriguing challenge and I don't expect it to work smoothly straight away, but lets give it a go.

As for teams like Liverpool and Spurs, you need to re-shape your squad to make the team work. At Liverpool the most pressing need I found was to get CB and a ST quickly. I got Samba, Phil Jones and Neymar. It may seem like a lot of money but when you sell Agger, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Poulsen, J. Cole, Maxi, Kuyt and Jovanovic you'll have enough money.

A Liverpool team that should start to work should look like this: Reina, Gerard, Samba, Jones, Johnson. Lucas, Meirelles, Shelvey. Suarez, Neymar, Carroll.

As for Tottenham, they are rather solid at the back and in mid-field, in fact they are heavily covered in those departments. What you need to do is completely over turn the ST. You need 3 players quality players for that area and be bold; go ahead and sell Defoe, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Crouchc and Pienar/Krancar. Even average players will do better than those...you can bring in Piatti, Sulaimani and Lukaku and they'll do a better job for you than the current tottenham strikers.

The team should look something like this: Gomes, Corluka, Gallas, Kaboul, Ekotto. Palacios/Sandro, V.D.Vaart, Modric. Piatti, Sulaimani, Bale.

Cheers dude, will give it a go tonight and see if we can get it working. I haven't been able to make or download a decent 4-4-2 for FM11 yet but think the base is in this tactic especially since the fullbacks get forward quite a lot.

Archived