[FM11] The Sheriff of Waltham Forest

433tom

Setup: FM2011 Patch 11.1.1 and Uncle Ron's England Levels 7 & 8 dbc

Leagues Loaded: Western Europe, Scandanavia, and the USA

I play LLM type rules with the exception of Uncle Ron's DBC and a twist. When managing clubs at level 7 or 8, I only sign players that were either born or played for another club within a reasonable distance from my club.

Started out with a background of Sunday League Player.

Career Status:

2010/2011 - Waltham Forest (Ryman Isthmian League D1 North) 4th Place - Promoted via Playoffs.

2011/2012 - Waltham Forest (Ryman Isthmian Premier) - 11th Place

2012/2013 - Waltham Forest (Ryman Isthmian Premier) - 10th Place

2013/2014 - Waltham Forest (Ryman Isthmian Premier) - 7th Place

2014/2015 - Waltham Forest (Ryman Isthmian Premier) - 3rd Place - Promoted via Playoffs.

2015/2016 - Waltham Forest (Blue Square South) - In progress

Awards:

2010/2011 - Ryman League Division One North Manager of the Season - Runner-up

2011/2012 - Ryman Premier League Manager of the Season - Runner-up

2012/2013 - Ryman Premier League Manager of the Month - February, March

2013/2014 - Ryman Premier League Manager of the Season - 3rd Place

2014/2015 - Ryman Premier League Manager of the Season - Winner - Manager of the Month - March

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010/2011 Season - Waltham Forest

Waltham Forest are a small club formed in 1964 with no history of note, playing in the Ryman Isthmian Division One North.

Our home ground is Cricklefield Stadium which we rent from fellow Ryman Isthmian Division One North Club, Ilford.

The media are projecting a 15th place place finish. The board expect a safe mid-table finish, which may be a challenge considering our wage budget is only 574 euros a week.

After looking at the squad, I decide we will play a 4-4-2 counter for the most part. As a second formation, we will do a bit of training around a 4-1-4-1. With the finances so tight, I will be looking at younger players who won't expect much of salary, but I expect I will have to rely heavily on loan players if I can talk them into coming aboard.

WalthamForestInformation_Overview.png

AUGUST UPDATE

Well the first month of the season was a mixed bag. Injuries to 3 starters and my back-up keeper, strained the squad to say the least. We currently sit 10th in the league, and squeaked through the Preliminary round of the FA Cup.

August2010R.png

AugustTable.png

On the transfer front, I was able to sign 2 young players and bring in 2 players on loan. My 2 signings maxed out the salary budget and nobody is interested in taking any of my players on a free, so any future signings this season will be limited to players on loan.

Jay Curran - 25 year old Striker on a season long loan from Canvey Island. A proven goal scorer who came right in and banged in 2 goals this month.

Josh Winchcombe - 18 year old Left Back bought on a 3 month loan from Margate to cover for my injured starting left back.

Nick Scott - 18 year old Left Winger picked up on a free who I have high hopes for but has been very inconsistent thus far.

Bill Carter - 17 year old Right Back picked up on a free. He's a work in progress and looks like he's out of his depth at this point in league play.

September Update

Well the high point of the month was our 2-0 win over Rivals Leyton in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round. In the League we moved up from 10th to 9th with a win and 2 draws. We got knocked out of the FA Cup in the Second Qualifying Round by Didcot Town in a hard fought contest that saw the Ref hand out 3 Red Cards. After giving up 5 goals in the last 2 matches of August we worked hard on our defense and got the result we were looking for, however in hindsight I didn't spend enough time working on our attack and our goal output for the month shows it. Centerbacks Des Thomas and Spencer Harrison were rock solid and didn't put a foot wrong all month.

September2010R.png

SeptemberTable1.png

Transfer Activity: None

October Update

Our good form in the League continues as we moved up to 6th on the back of 3 wins and a loss this month. The highlight of the month was a convincing 3-0 win over a strong Brentwood side with in form Striker Jay Curran scoring a brace. On the Cup side, things didn't go as well as we gave up first half leads to eventually lose in Penalty Kick shootouts in both the FA Trophy and the Isthmian League Cup. Center Back Spencer Harrison continued to shine and was 3rd in the voting for Isthmian League Division One North Player of the Month with an average rating of 7.72 in 4 league appearences.

October2010R.png

OctoberTable1.png

November Update

With us knocked out the Cups, we could concentrate on the League going forward. November was a great month for us as we moved up to 2nd place on the strength of 3 wins and 3 draws. The highlight of the month was our 5-2 win over the Great Wakering Rovers. It was and end to end contest for 90 minutes that saw in form Striker Jay Curran bag a hat-trick. Unfortunately, Jay picked up a Red Card in our next match for throwing an elbow and spent the next 3 matches up in the stands.

Left Back Josh Winchcombe's loan ended at the beginning of the month and he returned to Margate. Josh did a nice job for us and I will be keeping an eye on his career. Central Midfielder Ben Morris agreed to join us on a season long loan at the end of the month. I felt we needed cover in the central midfielder after Marquin Smith suffered a twisted knee in the middle of the month and was out for 3 weeks. Him being out of the side exposed a lack of quality in the middle that we needed to address.

November2010R.png

NovemberTable.png

I would have to call Harlow and Grays as favorites to win the League right now as they have the strongest sides. Romford after starting out the season with 3 wins and 1 loss in August have only managed to pick up a single point from their last 12 matches.

December Update

We got off to a great start in December with wins over Redbridge and Ware leaving us sitting top of the table. However, tough Away losses to Wingate & Finchley and Grays and a shocking 0-0 draw at Home with last place Tilbury on a frozen pitch saw us slide back down to 5th. The highlight of the month was the 4-1 win over Ware which saw us playing some of our best football of the season, particularly in the first half.

December2010R.png

DecemberTable.png

January 2011 Update

Well our League form continued to suffer as we dropped another 2 places to 7th on the back of 2 losses, 2 draws and a single win over lowly Romford. The highlight of the month was our second half play against Harlow. We went 3-0 down in the first 18 minutes and the match looked to be all but over. However, after giving the players the hairdryer at half time, they went out and played fantastic football pulling 2 back. At that point I felt confident we had another goal or two in us, but we went down to 10 men when Right Back Bill Carter suffered an injury and had to come off at the 76 minute mark. That knocked the stuffing out of the squad and we conceded a fourth goal right before injury time.

Striker Jermain Hughes finished Runner-up for Ryman D1 North Player of the Month based on 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 appearances. On the transfer front, 20 Year Old Ryan Dolby from Bromley agreed to join us on loan to the end of the season. Ryan is equally adept at playing both Left Back and Left Mid. His addition gives us much needed depth on the left side. Ryan started all 5 matches during January and has already picked up a goal and an assist. Hats off to my Staff for finding him.

January2011R.png

JanuaryTable.png

February 2011 Update

February was a good month as we moved up from 7th to 3rd in the League based on 4 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss. The Highlight of the month was our 2-1 win over rivals Leyton in front of the home fans. Overall, our away form has been outstanding this season, however our home form remains troubling. Perhaps it could be due to fact we don't have our own ground. Injuries caused concerns all around as Striker Jay Curran suffered broken ribs in a training ground incident and is expected to be out 6 weeks. Its a massive blow as Jay has found the net 13 times in 25 League apprearences thus far this season. Luckily, his Strike partner Jermain Hughes is in fine form after a slow start to the season and bagged 7 goals in 6 appearences this month including a Hat-Trick against Ilford. A second major injury blow was suffered when starting Right Winger Fabio Jesus suffered a broken ankle in the Potters Bar tie. Spencer Harrison continues to impress at Center Back picking up the Ryman D1 North Player of the Month Award. I finished 3rd in the ballot for Manager of the Month.

February2011R.png

FebruaryTable.png

Financial Update

Our finances continue on a downward spiral despite the board injecting 35k mid-February to keep the Club afloat. With an average League attendance of 40, even our miserly salary budget of 574 euros a week drains the coffers dry. The biggest impact for me as the Manager is that I would like to extend the contract of a few key performers before the end of the season. However, with the board currently limiting me to wage offers of 15 euros/week, things are not looking good.

March 2011 Update

Well our good form continued and we remain in 3rd place in the league on the back of 3 wins and 1 loss. The loss was a bit of a heartbreaker as it was a head-to-head for 2nd place against Cheshunt. The highlight of the month was an all-around good team performance in the 3-0 win over Needham Market. Striker Jay Curran returned early from his rib injury and chipped in with a goal. Unfortunately, he strained his groin in practice the following week. I'm still waiting for news, but I fear he may be out for the season at this point. We had a much needed 2 week break in the League schedule at the end of March. However, 2 of the lads have came down with a virus and are expected to be out for 7 to 10 days. Heading into April I have high hopes we can maintain a Play-off Spot and perhaps even pip the Title. But I fear injuries and illness may take their toll. Once again I finished 3rd in the ballot for Manager of the Month.

March2011R.png

MarchTable.png

April 2011 Update

Well our indifferent home form almost cost us a Playoff spot, but a 2-0 away win over Tilbury on the final day of the season left us sitting in 4th and qualifying for the Playoffs. We went into the Playoff Semi-Finals as heavy underdogs against Grays. But the lads came out ready to play while Grays looked a bit flat as we took a 2-0 lead into the half. The second half was all Grays as they continuously pinned us back in our half. They pulled one goal back, but we were able to hold on for a glorious away win in front of a hostile crowd of over 1700. That setup a Home Playoff Final against Cheshunt who had defeated Waltham Abbey in the other Semi-Final. The Final was a tight defensive minded affair with both Clubs seemingly more intent on not conceeding a goal than winning the match. However, Striker Jermain Hughes scored what turned out to be the winning goal early in the second half to give us the 1-0 Win and Promotion!

April2011R.png

Final Table

Final2011Table.png

April/May 2011 Goal of the Month

Well it wasn't pretty but it has to be the Goal of the Month!

Jermain Hughes scores the Playoff Final Winner with a fortunate deflection against Cheshunt in the 49th minute.

[video=youtube;MbHpsNC_WmM]

2010/2011 Waltham Forest End of Season Update

Centerback Spencer Harrison was chosen as Fans Player of the Year. Striker Jay Curran returned to Convey Island, but said he enjoyed his time with the Stags and was interested in signing for us next season. If we can come to terms on a salary, I expect he will be with us again next season. Left Back Ryan Dolby also said he learned a lot with us last season and is hoping it will help him secure regular playing time with his Club, Bromley. I'll be watching to see if they put him out on Loan again as I think he would do well for us in the Ryman Premier League.

Key Performers:

Jermain Hughes (Striker) -36 App 18 Goals 11 Assists 7.22 Rating

Jay Curran (Striker) - 27 Apps 14 Goals 7 Assists 7.03 Rating

Spencer Harrison (Centerback) - 40 Apps 7 Goals 1 Assist 7. 28 Rating

Awards:

Jermain Hughes - Ryman League Division One North Leading Goal Scorer - Runner-up with 18 Goals

Spencer Harrison - Waltham Forest Fans Player of the Year

I finished Runner-up for Ryman League Division One North Manager of the Season.

2010/2011 Selected Info

Manchester United did the Domestic Treble winning the Premier League, Carling Cup, and FA Cup. Manchester City fans are hating life as United beat them in the Finals of the Carling Cup and the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup. :)

Premier League top 7

1) Manchester United

2) Spurs

3) Arsenal

4) Chelsea

5) Liverpool

6) Manchester City

7) Stoke

Relegated: West Brom, Sunderland and Blackpool

Champions League - Inter

Euro Cup - Paris Saint-Germain

World Player of the Year - Messi

Well I have a problem. My lone scout's contract was up and he wanted a raise that I could not give him, so he left. Now I can't sign any scouts. My board will only let me offer 50/wk,, but even the worst scouts in the game want 55/wk. None of them will budge below the 55/wk.

2010/11 Off-Season

Well it's been a hectic off-season as I expect it is at most newly promoted clubs. Our financial position is still a bit bleak, so I was forced to release 3 of our high wage earners who were at the end of their contracts. All told I was able to re-sign 11 of our senior players with 2 more deciding to stay on with no contract. 12 players in total decided to either leave the team as free agents or had signed pre-contracts with other clubs. On the plus side, Striker Jermain Hughes who scored 18 goals last season, and Fans Player of the Year Center Back Spencer Harrison were among those that signed new contracts.

2011/2012 Pre-season

The pre-season was very challenging as we scrambled to bring in new faces to fill out the squad. Dozens of players were scouted and 8 were brought in for trial. Striker Jay Curran who had scored 14 goals for us last season while on loan from Canvey Island was released from his club and signed with us straight away. Left back/mid Ryan Dolby also agreed to join us on another season long loan. We are delighted that we were able to bring both players back into the team. In total we were able to add 8 quality players to the squad in July. Four players were promoted from the youth squad, but none did enough during the pre-season to justify offering them a professional contract. However, 17 year old Center Back Christan Lewis had an outstanding pre-season and was offered a professional contract. 34 year old striker Graham Cheeseman and 32 year old midfielder Ross Venebles signed contracts after impressing during their trials. Both are in fantastic physical shape and bring in much needed experience for the campaign ahead. Graham is an excellent dribbler and very strong on the ball, while Ross adds an element of calmness and composure we have been lacking in the midfield.

Players in

Jay Curran 26 year old Striker from Canvey Island - Free

Ryan Dolby 20 year old Left Back/Mid - Season Long loan from Bromley

Carl Metcalfe 18 year old Right/Left Mid - Season Long loan from Thurrock

Josh Wellsby 19 year old Keeper - Free

Danny Sloane 17 year old Central Mid - Season Long Loan from Bromley

Aaron Jameson 17 year old Center Back - Season Long loan from Bromley

Graham Cheeseman 34 year old Striker - Free

Ross Venebles 32 year old Central Mid/DM - Free

This gives us a total of 22 senior players going into the season. I have room for perhaps one more signing under my salary budget going forward. We will also look at the possibility of bringing in players on short term loans throughout the season if needed.

The media are projecting us for a 21st place finish and relegation going into the season.

The board expect us to fight against relegation.

Season ticket sales stand at 20, a modest increase over our 15 season ticket holders from last season.

August 2011 Update

After getting off to a stuttering start in the Ryman Premier with a home draw and loss, we finished up strong with 2 wins in our next 3 matches to end the month sitting 10th in the Table. New signing Graham Cheeseman got off to a flyer with a nice goal in the opening match, however he broke his foot in the next match against Hastings and will be out for 5 to 6 months. The highlight of the month was our 3-0 win over Sittingbourne. Striker Jermain Hughes scored a brace in what was a good all-around team effort.

August2011R.png

August2011Table.png

September 2011 Update

September was an odd month as we slipped from 10th to 12th in the League as a result of a 1-1 home draw with Kingstonian which was our only league match of the month. In the FA Cup we advanced to the third qualifying round with wins over AFC Sudbury and Blue Square South side, Bishop's Stortford. The highlight of the month was the come from behind win over heavily favored Bishop's Stortford which was perhaps the biggest win in the clubs history. On the injury front, Strker Jay Curran suffered broken ribs in the Bishop's Stortford match and is expected to be out for 5 or 6 weeks. With Graham Cheeseman already out with a broken foot, that leaves us with 2 first team Strikers. I asked my Assistant to check for any Strikers available for loan, but none were found. As a result, young Sham Darr who stayed on with the club from last season on no contract and youth player Andy Clarke will no doubt see some action over the coming weeks.

September2011.png

September2011Table.png

October 2011 Update

Cups, Cups, and more Cups!. Thats what October was all about. For the second straight month we were only able to play one league match as a result of our Cup commitments. Our 1-1 draw with Billericay saw us pick up a single point for the month and slide all the way down to 19th in the Table. However, we still have up to 4 matches in hand over some of the clubs in the League. Our FA Cup run finally ended in the Fourth Qualifying Round with a heartbreaking 2-1 replay loss to Blue Square South side Bromley. We played them toe-to-toe in both matches and a missed Penalty kick at Home in the first match ultimately cost us advancement into the FA Cup First Round. For the second season in a row we got knocked out of the League Cup straight away, but our FA Trophy hopes are still alive with a replay against Concord Rangers scheduled for the first week in November. Our Striker crisis will hopefully ease as Jay Curran is back in training. Jermain Hughes and Lawrence Viga were off form for most of the month and only scored 1 goal between them. Youth Striker Andy Clarke played well and scored a goal in his debut when he came off the bench against Billericay. Hopefully he can chip in with a few more goals this season. On the financial front, the FA Cup run resulted in us making a profit for 2 months in a row. The first profitable months since I joined the Club. Of course our overall balance is still in the Red, just not as eye-watering.

October2011.png

October2011Table.png

Win those games in hand and you can shoot up the table.Best of luck.

Thanks. But we haven't been playing well aside from the FA Cup against Bromley. And it will be tough playing 2 matches a week for the next 6 weeks with such a small squad. :)

November 2011 Update

November was a busy month with 8 matches played. In the League, we picked up 9 points off 2 wins and 3 draws to climb out of the Relegation Zone into 17th place. The highlight of the month was a very strong performance in a 3-1 away win over fellow relegation canditates, Bury Town. In the FA Trophy, the month started off well as we won our replay with Concord Rangers 2-1. In the third qualifying round we drew Bromley at home. I was a bit disappointed as Bromley had just knocked us out of the FA Cup in October. However, the lads stepped up and the Bromley match will probably go down as one of the most exciting of the season. We took a 3-1 lead midway through the first half only to see Bromley pull even right at the half. Early in the second half Bromley edged in front 4-3, but the lads kept fighting and Carl Metcalfe tied it at 4-4 at the 60 minute mark. Both teams had several chances over the next 20 or so minutes until Bromley broke the deadlock at the 83 minute mark. We pushed forward hard to get the equalizer, but got caught by a counter to lose 6-4.

On the transfer front, young Christian Lewis has been struggling as third choice center-half, so I bought in 18 year old Ryan Scott who had been released on a free from Barnet. While not much older than Christian, Ryan's prior experience playing with a bigger club is evident everytime he steps onto the pitch. Christian was allowed to go out on Loan with Ryman D1 South side Walton & Hersham and has performed well for them in 4 straight starts. I have high hopes for him next season.

November2011.png

November2011Table.png

December 2011 Update

3 Wins and 2 draws in December saw us move into a safe mid-table position in the League. The highlight of the month was a convincing 2-0 Home win against high-flying Harlow. Striker Jay Curran's run of bad luck continued when he picked up another injury in the 2-1 loss to Carshalton. Jay tore a calf muscle and is probably out for the season. Young Raphael Duyile, a local lad from London was quickly brought in on trial. Raphael impressed during his trial and was given a contract. Thankfully, I was just able to squeeze him in under our wage budget. We suffered another injury setback when Midfielder Danny Sloane pick up a groin strain against Canvey Island and is expected to be out for 4 weeks. Danny is a massive loss as he drives our midfield. To date, he has 4 goals and 8 assists in 17 League starts.

December2011.png

December2011Table.png

Archived