[FM11] The Sheriff of Waltham Forest

433tom

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 2012 Update

We started off the new year heading the wrong way in the table. With only 4 matches played, 2 wins and a draw were not enough to prevent us from sliding from 11th to 14th in the League. The Highlight of the month was our 2-1 road win against 2nd place Hastings United. The League is very tight at this point with only 9 points separating a 5th place Play-off spot and a 19th place finish and relegation.

Striker Jermain Hughes has scored 7 league goals in 19 appearances thus far this season, while his Strike partner Lawrence Viga has chipped in with 6 goals in 23 appearances. Midfielder Danny Sloane continues to top the assist chart with 8.

January2012.png

January2012Table.png

February 2012 Update

February saw us pick up 10 points and climb from 14th to 7th in the League. Barring a complete collaspe in the next 2 months, our results this month should be enough to secure us a safe mid-table position at the end of the season. The Highlight of the month was a very good team effort in our 1-0 away win at Dartford.

February2012.png

February2012Table.png

March 2012 Update

March was a month of what could have been. We held on to 7th place in the League on the back of 2 wins and 3 draws. However, we gave up heartbreaking injury time equalizers against both Carshalton and Maidstone to end the month. If we could have held on in those 2 matches, we would now be sitting in a Play-off spot. The highlight of the month was the 2-1 win over Hitchin with young Raphael Duyile scoring a brace.

March2012.png

March2012Table.png

April 2012 Update

Well we ended our season on a wimper with 3 losses and 1 draw in April, which sees us carrying a 7 match winless streak into next season. As a result, we slid from 7th to 11th in the Final Table. However, everyone at the Club is happy with our safe mid-table finish.

April2012.png

April2012Table.png

Waltham Forest U-18 Update

Hats off to the U-18 squad as they took the Group 20 Championship. As you can see, defense was not their forte. They just outscored everyone. :) Striker Ryan Scott was the key performer finding the back of the net 21 times in 32 appreances.

2011/2012 U-18 Group 20 Final Standings

U-182011_12FinalTable.png

2011/2012 Waltham Forest End of the Season Update

Centerhalf Spencer Harrision was voted fans Player of the Year for the second straight season. Midfielder Danny Sloane and Centerhalf Aaron Jameson returned to Bromley and said they learned a lot and enjoyed their time here. I'll certainly be looking to bring them both back next season if Bromley puts them out for Loan again.

Awards

Danny Sloan - Ryman Premier League Assist Leader with 14.

Spencer Harrison - Fans Player of the Year

Waltham Forest Best Eleven

2011_12bestEleven.png

I was voted runner-up for the Ryman Premier League Manager of the Year. Must be my sparkling personality. :)

Here are my Attributes as of the end of the season:

2011_12Attributes.png

2011/2012 Season selected Info

English Premier League

1) Manchester United - won it by 14 points

2) Manchester City

3) Chelsea

4) Aston villa

5) Fulham

6) Liverpool

7) Spurs

8) Arsenal

Relegated: Wigan, Leeds, Wolves

Sir Alex retired at the end of season after winning his 20th League title.

Wenger was sacked by Arsenal early in the season. Arsenal hired Mancini away from City, then City hired Wenger. :)

FA Cup - Chelsea

League Cup - Liverpool

FA Trophy - Cheltenham

Johnstone Paint - Carlisle

Championship Manager Trophy (Ryman League Cup) - Canvey Island

Champion's league - Spurs

Euro Cup - Fiorentina

World player of the Year - Ronaldo

2011/2012 Off Season

Well stadium expanson was the big topic of the off season. Cricklefield Stadium had a capacity of 5000 and 216 seats. The seating did not meet the FA Ground requirements of 250 seats for the Ryman Premier League (Level 7), so the Board took out a 700k loan to expand Cricklefield by 500 seats. The expansion was completed on June 30 and our loan payments are 3.5k/month that we can ill afford. Our losses last year were 90k, a staggering 102% of turnover (kind of like Greece :) ). Hmmm.... I wonder if Ilford know we expanded their Ground?

In the Staffing area, I finally added a second coach. I brought in a recently retired player who is very strong in the areas of defense and fitness.

As for the players, 14 of our first team squad signed new contracts for the coming year. I tried to resign Left winger Nick Scott but apparently he mistakenly thinks we got promoted 2 levels and was asking for Blue Square Premier level wages. I declined on offering Keeper Jason Willis, Right Winger Fabio Jesus, and Right Back Ian Walsh new contracts and they left the club.

2012/2013 Pre-Season

The pre-season went well as we brought in several players on trial and found what I think will turn out to be a few gems. All told we made 5 new signings and brought in 4 players on season long loans. In my opinion this is our strongest squad since I took over at Waltham Forest with signings such as Woolley, Adams and Quarm all having first team experience playing in either the Blue Square Premier or Blue Square South. And while we have no formal affliation with Bromley, they must be happy with how we treat their players as they allowed 3 to go on season long loans with us again this season. However, our most exciting Loan signing is Michael West. We tried to take him on Loan the past 2 seasons only to see him go somewhere else. He's a real star in the making. The only downside to the pre-season was the last match, a 3-1 defeat at Aylesbury United where my RB got sent off in the first minute for a bad challenge and we played very poorly after that. In addition, new signing Ross Adams was injured in the match and will miss the first few weeks of the season.

Players in

Joe Woolley 22 year old Keeper released from Thurrock - Free

Ross Adams 27 year old RB/CB released from Basingstoke - Free

Francis Quarm 29 year old CM released from Woking - Free

Kadell Daniel 19 year old LB released from Crystal Palace - Free

Callum Tonque 18 year old Keeper released from Bradford - Free

Aaron Jameson 18 year old CB/LB Season Long loan from Bromley

Garry Passmore 19 year old LM - Season Long loan from Bromley

Nick Gregg 18 year old CM/LM - Season Long Loan from Bromley

Michael West 21 year old AM/CM/RW/RM - Season Long loan from Ebbsfleet

The media have us projected for an 18th place finish.

The Board expects us to avoid relegation.

Season Ticket sales were 20, unchanged from last season.

Francis Quarm was terrible for me in my first season at Woking so I also sent him on his way.

It'll be interesting to see if you can get some use out of him :).

Have you had a look at Daniel Bogard from Bromley ? I had him on loan last season and he was pretty good. I've signed him for this season.

Francis Quarm was terrible for me in my first season at Woking so I also sent him on his way.

It'll be interesting to see if you can get some use out of him :).

Have you had a look at Daniel Bogard from Bromley ? I had him on loan last season and he was pretty good. I've signed him for this season.

Quarm had a great preseason scoring a brace twice. With me he's playing 1 or 2 levels down from when you had him at Woking. I'll let you know how he does.

As for Bogard. No I have not looked at him. I only look at players recommended by my staff or found by my scout. While they have found me a lot of players for Loan from Bromley, he hasn't been one of them. :)

August 2012 Update

Our run of poor form at the end of last season carried over into August with 2 draws and 2 losses leaving us sitting 20th in the League table and now having gone 11 matches without a win. The Highlight of the month was the 3-3 Away draw with Canvey Island. We went down 3-0 in the first 15 minutes but pulled one back right at the half. In the second half we dominated play to pull even and had several chances in the dying moments to pull out the win. I hoped our good form in the second half would carry over into the next match. However, high scoring Tonbridge rolled over us 4-1 in a match where they easily could have put 7 past us.

August2012.png

August2012Table1.png

September 2012 Update

Well our dismal form continued through September and we have now gone 14 matches without a win. We could only manage to get 2 draws from our League matches, and we got knocked out of the FA Cup by Cray. The highlight of the month was the 1-1 draw with Grays. It was our best performance to date and we were hard done not to pick up all 3 points.

September2012.png

September2012Table1.png

October 2012 Update

Our poor play continued through October as we got knocked out of both the Championship Manager Cup and FA Trophy, and picked up only 4 points in the League. We did break our 15 match winless streak that extended back through last season. However, even then it took a stoppage time goal against a Billericay side that went down to 10 men early in the first half. Our new signings and loan players have still not settled in and we are just not playing good football. The first 2 weeks in November could set the tone for the rest of the season as we play Hitchin and Margate. The only clubs currently below us in the table. If we don't do well in those matches, we could be in for a tough season long fight to avoid relegation.

October2012.png

October2012Table.png

November 2012 Update

As I mentioned last month, the first 2 matches of November would be key in our relegation fight as they were against the only 2 clubs below us in the Table. Unfortunately, we lost both matches and I was gutted. I actually contemplated resigning. Our level of play over the past 2 months has been so poor it begs belief. I went into the season believing this was the strongest Forest side ever. I can't believe I got it so wrong. After a bit of sulking I decided to press on. I sent a few of my "key" players down to the reserves and brought 5 youth players into the starting 11 for the away match at Dartford. It actually looked like it was paying off for a while as we were even 1-1 at the 60 minute mark and playing a lot better. Of course then things went pear shaped at that point as my RB went into a tackle two-footed and got sent off. That knocked the stuffing out of the lads and we lost 3-1. To top it off my Chairman informed me he was in talks to sell the club. I figured any new owners would give me the sack immediately and wondered why I didn't resign last week. Well to make a long story short, sending a few of first team down to reserves might have paid off. They were not happy, but when I bought them back into the side, they looked like different players. Keeper Joe Woolley kept back-to-back clean sheets and RB Ross Adams scored the winner against Harrow. I also bought in some new blood with DM/CM Tom Hurley joining us on a 3 month loan from Famborough. And on the last day of the month, the Chairman told me takover talks had broken down and the Club was not going to be sold. So I guess I'll stay employed a bit longer. :)

November2012.png

November2012Table1.png

November 2012 Goal of the Month

Striker Raphael Duyile's hustle pays off as he takes advantage of poor communication between the Hitchin Keeper and his Defenders to score in an open net.

[video=youtube;1ViB6ft1bso]

December 2012 Update

The wee bit of hope I got from us picking up 4 points in our last 2 matches in November faded away as we only picked up 2 points from our 7 matches in December. We are now firmly planted in last place and 11 points back from 18th place and safety. And with the lack of quality and commitment shown by the players, I don't have a lot of confidence we can pull ourselves out of it. I asked my Assistant to look for any midfielders or strikers who might be available for a short term loan, but none were found. I brought in a few players on trial the last day of the month. However, if I do find anyone with potential, I may have to sell somebody to stay under my wage budget. And yes, we are still bleeding financially. The Board injected another 40k at the end of the month to keep the club afloat. I'm not sure how long they can keep that up.

December2012.png

December2012Table.png

Hope you can pick up a win somewhere and try to get a bit of momentum to move up the table with. I don't think you can afford to get relegated, unless you know a friendly administrator?

Many Thanks. I must say in all my years of playing FM, this side has put in some of the worst performances I can remember. I watch all my matches using extended highlights. At times it has actually been painfull. :)

Many Thanks. I must say in all my years of playing FM, this side has put in some of the worst performances I can remember. I watch all my matches using extended highlights. At times it has actually been painfull. :)

At least the only way is up...willmake the good times even better when you get there.

January 2013 Update

Well it's been a Happy New Year thus far at Waltham Forest as we finally started to play some decent football. We picked up 11 points off 3 wins and 2 draws in January to move up to 21st in the League. Our month started off with an exciting 4-3 win over high scoring Tonbridge. But the highlight of the month was the 2-1 victory over Grays. It was a hard fought match that saw us finally take the lead with a Luke Stanley goal in the 71st minute. And then the fun really started as we went down to 10 men and Grays pushed hard for an equalizer, pinning us back in our half and peppering our goal. However, Keeper Joe Woolley was a man on a mission and his determination preserved the win. In one sequence at around the 88 minute mark, he blocked or parried 6 shots on goal in about a 10 second period. Certainly my MOM.

We are only 5 points away from avoiding the drop at this point. Hopefully our good form will carry on through February.

January2013.png

January2013Table.png

February 2013 Update

February saw us continue our good run starting with a 4-2 win over Tooting & Mitcham with Jermain Hughes picking up a brace. We followed that with a win and draw only to find ourselves still sitting in 21st place. The next 2 matches against fellow relegation candidates Hitchin and Arlesley would be key in our fight to avoid relegation.

TableRel.png

We won both matches 2-1 and ended the month with an away draw at Harlow to see us extend our undefeated run to 11 matches. We finished February sitting in 16th place. However, we are still only 2 points above the drop.

February2013.png

February2013Table.png

March 2013 Update

Our form just gets better and better as we reeled off 5 straight wins in March to extend our unbeaten streak to 16 matches. The 15 points moved us safely away from the relegation zone up to 10th in the Table. CM/DM Tom Hurley's loan was up at the beginning of the month and he returned to Famborough. He was a solid presence in the middle picking up 3 assists in 14 starts. Ben Driver from Ebbsfleet joined us on loan for the remainder of the season. Ben can play anywhere in the midfield and has already scored 1 goal and picked up 3 assists in March. Midfielder Francis Quarm picked up a hamstring injury against Kingstonian and will be out the rest of the season. Francis had 5 goals and 5 assists in 30 league appearances. I picked up Manager of the Month for the second straight month.

March2013.png

March2013Table.png

It was several factors I think. I was really at a loss after the first half of the season. Although, I've been using the same tactics for the past 3 years (4-4-2 counter), in January I started to ignore my Ass Man's pre-match recommendations and started every match with a narrow width. I would usually then only go wide if we were being outplayed or fell behind and it looked like a change was required to get us back in the match. I would then go back to narrow to protect a lead. We also went a bit more direct than in the past. I play all my matches on extended highlights, and I really started to micro manage in game tactics. I think the biggest contributor to our good run was lead protection. With a 2 goal lead we would get more conservative at the 60 minute mark, with a 1 goal lead, about the 70 minute mark. The last 10 minutes of most matches were played with the squad set to contain, using the retain possession and play safer in game instruction. I would also save a sub, so that if needed I could replace a striker with a DM in the last 10 minutes.

As for players, I went with a very small line-up. I probably used 14 total since January 1. Once we started winning certain players started to play well and I was reluctant to bring anyone else into the line-up. 3 players stood out. On-Loan winger Michael West finally played to his capabilities. I think this coincided with him losing the feeling that he was to good to be loaned out. The other 2 were half-star rated players who I kept around because they play above their abilities on the pitch. RM/CM Luke Stanley who is 24 had all his attributes in the red in December. I told him he had to train harder and put him in the reserves. When he came back he started just about every match for me and has a rating of around 7 for the second half of the season. And then Striker jermain Hughes. He picked up a few knocks in the first half of the season and only had a handful of appearances with no goals. Once fit, he played big scoring 12 goals in 18 matches since Jan 1.

April 2013 Update

Well our undefeated run came to an end at 17 matches with a 1-0 loss at Hastings United. We went down to 10 men early on when my left back was sent off for a professional foul. We then lost 2 players to injury. We almost held on for a draw, but it was not to be as they scored an injury time winner. The highlight of the month was the 3-1 victory over a strong Cambridge City side who were fighting for 1st place at the time. Overall we picked up 6 points in April to finish 10th in the Table.

April2013.png

2013 Final Table

April2013Table.png

2012/2013 Waltham Forest End of Season Update

It was a tale of two seasons really. A nerve wracking first half which saw us sitting bottom of the table and 11 points from safety on December 31st and a totally amazing second half that saw us go 17 matches without defeat and finishing a highly respectable 10th in the League. Loanees Michael West and Ben Driver returned to their clubs and said they enjoyed their stay with the Stags. Both are out of contract in June, but I doubt I would be able to meet their wage demands. Centerhalf Spencer Harrison was the Supporters Player of the Year for the 3rd straight year.

Waltham Forest Best Eleven

2012_13bestEleven.png

And here are my attributes as of the end of the season.

2012_13Attributes.png

2012/2013 Season Selected Info

English Premier League

1) Abu Dhabi City

2) Chelsea

3) Man United

4) Arsenal

5) Blackburn

6) Liverpool

Relegated: Fulham, Newcastle, Bristol City

Wenger retired from Man City who hired Grant. :)

Rumour has it that Wenger took a position as maître d’ in one of the Sheikh's hotels in the UAE.

FA Cup - West Brom

League Cup - Liverpool

Johnstone Paint - Crystal Palace

FA Trophy - Kettering Town

Championship Manager Cup - Dartford

Champions League - Abu Dhabi City

Euro cup - Fiorentina

World Player of the Year - Messi

2012/2013 Off Season

In June we entered the 4th straight month of takeover talks. I hope they get it settled soon so we can look to bring in a few players in the pre-season. 14 players signed new contracts for the upcoming season, 6 players were released and DM Ross Venerables retired. Ross made 30 appearances for the club and had 5 assists over the past 2 years. Among those released were 4 strikers, including Graham Cheeseman who was 36 and hurt for at least half of each of the last 2 seasons. All told he scored 7 goals in 28 appearances. While not a bad return, with him a year older, I didn't see his return getting any better. Jay Curran was also released. He did a great job for us his first season while we were in D1N, but injuries and a lack of consistency the past 2 seasons hindered his performance in the Premier League. He only managed 4 goals in 22 appearances last season. And unfortunately, longtime Stags Star Jermain Hughes left the club. Jermain who will be 32 this season, returned from Holiday totally unfit. I delayed offering him a contract to see if he could get himself back into shape, but he left on a free when his contract was up.

HughesStats.png

18 year old Tony Jones M/AM (RC) and Alex McCaffery M/AM (LC) were promoted from the youth squad and given 1 year deals. Both made a few first team appearances last season and did very well. This brings the squad to 16 going into the pre-season. As usual, we will be bringing in lots of players on trial the next few weeks.

2013/2014 Pre-Season

Well the new Chairman took over, didn't clear any debt, didn't raise the wage budget, and instantly had to inject another 50k into the club to keep it afloat. So basically nothing has changed. :) Other than that, the pre-season went pretty well. We looked at several players on trial and signed 3. My Assistant indentified several loan targets, 4 of which were brought in for season long loans. I'm still around 75/week under my wage budget so I have room for a few signings going forward. The most pressing need at this point is cover at LB. As it stands now, if Kadell Daniel gets injured, I would have to dip into the youth team for a replacement.

Players in:

Wes Daly 29 year old DM/CM released from Bromley - Free

Shaun Reay 24 year old Striker released from Windsor & Eton - Free

Mike Statham 17 year old CM released from Crawley - Free

Nigel Wright 19 year old Striker - Season long loan from Ebbsfleet

David Pitts 18 year old Striker- Season long loan from Bishop's Stortford

Danny Deakin 19 year old LM - Season long loan from Hampton & Richmond

Carl Metcalfe 20 year old RM/LM - Season long loan from Thurrock.

July2013.png

The media have us projected for an 18th place finish.

The Board expects a safe mid-table finish.

Season Ticket sales were 20, unchanged from the last 2 seasons.

Yes. The club could use a nice Cup run this season. In the 2011/2012 season we had a bit of a run in the FA Cup and made it through the first 2 qualifying rounds of the FA Trophy. September and October 2011 were the only months since I've been here where the club turned a profit. But I don't know if our Financial position can be fixed. We already have by far the lowest salary budget in the League and would still need to double revenues to break even.

August 2013 Update

Well we got off to a better start than last season with 2 wins and a draw in 5 matches leaving us 8th in the League Table. So far youth have led the way, as 17 year old new signing Mike Statham (CM) settled in quickly picking up a goal and 2 assists and recently promoted youth players Alex McCaffery (LM) and Tony Jones (RM) chipping in with 1 and 2 goals respectively. On the negative side, new signing Wes Daly was so poor in three starts that I sent him down to reserves (which don't have a league :) ). The highlight of the month was a good team effort in the 3-1 win over Lewes. We don't play again until the 14th of September, so I scheduled a few reserve friendlies the next 2 weeks to maintain fitness.

August2013.png

August2013Table.png

September 2013 Update

Our FA Cup campaign started well with 3-1 win over St. Neots in the 1st Qualifing Round led by a Shaun Reay brace. We then put in a highly polished performance to defeat Wingate & Finchley 3-0 in the 2nd Qualifying Round. In the league, we only played 1 match against Ramsgate which ended in a 0-0 draw. They are the only team in the league that plays a 3-5-2 and defensively they are probably the toughest squad in the League. They don't score much, but nobody can score on them either. We added some depth at the back as we signed Aaron Goode who was out of contract with Tooting & Mitcham. Aaron is equally adapt playing anywhere in the back four. DM/CM Wes Daly returned from the reserves and put in 2 good performances in the Cup ties. Hopefully he can keep it up.

September2013.png

September2013Table.png

October 2013 Update

October was a busy month with a congested fixture list of 9 matches. Our runs in the FA Cup and FA Trophy continued with a 4-0 win over Horsham YMCA being the highlight of the month. Striker Shaun Reay has become a real Cup hero picking up 4 goals in 6 starts and fans favorite Central Defender Spencer Harrison chipped in 3 goals off set pieces. In the League, we picked up 12 points from 4 wins to move to 2nd in the Table. The only real disappointment of the month was the 3-2 loss to Hendon in the Championship Manager Cup as we threw away a 2 goal lead at the half. However, the strain of 9 matches in 4 weeks started to take its toll as both Striker David Pitts and Carl Metcalfe (M/RL) were both injured in the FA Cup win over Halesowen and will be out for an extended period. Danny Sloane (M/LC) was brought in on a 3 month loan from Bromley for additional cover. I was delighted that Danny was available on loan as he was a real star for us in the 2011/2012 season when he scored 4 goals and picked up a League Leading 14 assists in 33 appreances. I was runner-up for League Manager of the Month.

October2013.png

October2013Table.png

Archived