Tactical changes on away matches

I just finished my first season with the German newcomers SC Freiburg. With only one transfer, Nolan Roux from Stade Brestois, I managed an 8-th place finish, 8 points from CL and 11 points from the champions.

Below you can see my home record for the season:

v4qveq.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, I managed to only lose once, draw on 4 occasions and win 12 times, with a relegation battling team.

But here's the away record:

hx6ccz.jpg

We have 10 losses. And our goal difference is in minus, -7. We managed to take only 17 points from 17 matches when playing away from home. For me, this is unacceptable.

So here goes my question for you all? What do you think I should change on my tactic (will be posted below) on away matches? We can clearly see that playing a balanced tactic for both home and away games on FM is impossible (except maybe with the best and richest clubs).

Here's a screenshot of my tactic and team instructions:

9h4d3o.jpg2n0kepw.jpg

Throw-ins are on Short. Player instructions are changed slightly. Deep Lying Playmaker is a combination of a Ball Winning Midfielder and a Playmaker. Deel Lying Forward's mentality was changed slightly and no roam from position. Long Shots to Rarely on every player. Inside Forward Through Passing to Often. Both midfielders have Run From Deep to Sometimes.

These screenshots are taken in the beginning of second season. My plan for this season is to play the same tactic on home matches but different on away matches, plus a few awesome players I took on a free.

Here's my idea for the eventual changes to make an away tactic:

- Change the mentality of the players to Counter strategy (-1 notch on everyone)

- Move the MCd to DM

- Lower the Defensive Line to 8 (or lower)

- Closing Down? - I'm confused here. I don't know if I should carry on with the Default (balanced approach) or to go with 1. a higher pressing one making harder for the opponents to play with ball and lose my defensive positioning or 2. a lower pressing one, keeping the defensive positioning and let the opponents play their game. (for the second option I think that I don't have enough defensive players - in my opinion I should have at least 4 defenders and 2 DMs)

What do you think I should change on my tactic on away matches? I hope this thread will make a good discussion especially for changes on away matches generally, not just on my tactic.

Archived